PDA

View Full Version : A team could play in Los Angeles early as next season...

24champ
07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Leiweke's timeline calls for getting the plan entitled and a long-term agreement with a franchise in time to break ground on a new West Hall by June 1, 2012. According to that plan, a team would be playing in L.A., at the Coliseum or Rose Bowl, by next season and would be ready to move into Farmers Field for the 2016 season.

Assuming those bonds are approved — and there are strong indications they will be — AEG's next step will be twofold: continuing the process of getting the land entitled and getting an agreement from a team.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-nfl-la-20110726,0,3017968.story

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 01:24 PM
The Los Angeles Jaguars?

ChrisToker
07-26-2011, 01:25 PM
So lets put another team in CA that gets regular blacked out games. This is a joke. Jacksonville didn't have sale outs, but they didnt get any blacked out games *cough...oakland, san diego

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Vikings, imo

Kaylore
07-26-2011, 01:29 PM
See, I think its the Jags. The Chargers aren't a bad idea either.

Crushaholic
07-26-2011, 01:41 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chargers move north to LA. They are already familiar with the "Who cares" attitude of California...

ChrisToker
07-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Vikings move to LA I would be pissed. Not even a fan of there's but it would be insult to NFL. One of the oldest teams w/ a great fan base goes to a city with top 2-3 population in US that doesn't fill out stands after year one when novelty wears off. Im not sure about 49'ers but the other teams in CA can't avoid blackouts.

DHallblows
07-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Vikings move to LA I would be pissed. Not even a fan of there's but it would be insult to NFL. One of the oldest teams w/ a great fan base goes to a city with top 2-3 population in US that doesn't fill out stands after year one when novelty wears off. Im not sure about 49'ers but the other teams in CA can't avoid blackouts.

Are you serious with this?

NFLBRONCO
Buffalo?

DomCasual
It's going to suck having all three of our division rivals in California.

broncosteven
07-26-2011, 01:57 PM

After they move they should trade for Aaron Francisco

UberBroncoMan
Mother ****ers want to ruin the convention center! That stadium takes up a chunk of a hall and an entire parking garage.

Bob's your Information Minister
Isn't Pat Bowlen practically broke?

The LA Broncos

Nice ring to it

broncosteven
07-26-2011, 02:01 PM
KFC can't move, it is the best place for guys to show off their Camero's and sisters/wives.

DrFate
07-26-2011, 02:01 PM

at least they wouldn't have to re-align :)

broncocalijohn
07-26-2011, 02:03 PM
^ I think he was referring to the Jags moving to the AFC WEST and Chiefs moving to a different division.

BroncoLifer
07-26-2011, 02:05 PM
If Ralph Wilson dies soon (and it sort of seems like he must) I think his kids will move the Bills to LA.

BroncoMan4ever
07-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Buffalo?

Buffalo is going to end up in Toronto before too long. they already play a game or 2 every season up there now.

I think the most likely would be St Louis, Jacksonville, San Diego, or Minnesotta. i would basically take Minnesotta off the list because they are pretty damn well established in Minnesotta and have somewhat of a good fan base there. St Louis is hard to say, they have a decent fanbase but supposedly Kroenke wants a team in California. I'd bet most on Jacksonville, simply because they aren't selling in Florida and are supposedly one of the teams that was losing money. with the Chargers, no one cared about them in Southern California, who is going to care if they move up the road a ways.

DomCasual
07-26-2011, 02:11 PM
^ I think he was referring to the Jags moving to the AFC WEST and Chiefs moving to a different division.

No, I was just baiting Clayton.

In all seriousness, the team that makes the most sense is San Diego.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
It should be the Jags...Jacksonville has no business having an NFL team.

24champ
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Los Angeles could get 2 teams. zowie!

The Vikings could move to Los Angeles — or anywhere else — after the 2011 season. It’s the last year of their Metrodome lease.

It is believed that, eventually, two teams could land in L.A.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/l-a-moves-closer-to-downtown-stadium-nfl-teams/

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 02:14 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/l-a-moves-closer-to-downtown-stadium-nfl-teams/

gtfo

broncosteven
07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Buffalo is going to end up in Toronto before too long. they already play a game or 2 every season up there now.

I think the most likely would be St Louis, Jacksonville, San Diego, or Minnesotta. i would basically take Minnesotta off the list because they are pretty damn well established in Minnesotta and have somewhat of a good fan base there. St Louis is hard to say, they have a decent fanbase but supposedly Kroenke wants a team in California. I'd bet most on Jacksonville, simply because they aren't selling in Florida and are supposedly one of the teams that was losing money. with the Chargers, no one cared about them in Southern California, who is going to care if they move up the road a ways.

I think it has to be the Jags, they have to hefty bag the upper deck in order to sell out. No reason FL needs 3 franchises, they don't support them.

24champ
07-26-2011, 02:19 PM
gtfo

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llz1fu87nS1qii6tmo1_250.gif

broncosteven
07-26-2011, 02:20 PM

Al moving the raiders again?

boltaneer
07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
You guys keep forgetting that AEG isn't spending all this money on a stadium for another owner to waltz on in. They want majority ownership of a team.

Teams that are looking to sell in the near future (Bills? Rams? Jacksonville?) are most likely to make the move.

OBF1
07-26-2011, 02:24 PM
San Diego fans have turned into piece of sh it southern california faider fan, not much of a reach them coming to the LA area... There has been talk of this for the past 5 years or more.

24champ
07-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Al moving the raiders again?

Has more to do with the fact there is probably going to be 2 stadiums built in the Los Angeles area. There is one stadium that is currently shovel ready project, that's the LA Stadium at Grand Crossing (formerly City of Industry) and the one in downtown Los Angeles that AEG is heading up.

ChrisToker
07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
The best solution: Pat Bowlen and Stan Kroenke swap teams. Bowlen sales rams to AEG then rides into sunset aka mental institute. Stan Kroenke restores Broncos to contenders with big spending ways (see Mark Cuban). Everyone wins...except st. louis fans.

bendog
07-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Buff moves to Toronto

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-26-2011, 03:22 PM
The Los Angeles Jaguars?

Maybe if they changed the name to the LA Cougars.

Boomhauer
07-29-2011, 06:28 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-farmer-nfl-la-20110726,0,3017968.story

There's two NFL stadium plans for LA - one good and one bad. Both would have the team play at nearby stadiums until construction is complete. The inner-city proposal that requires bonds is the bad idea as it's already an overbuilt, clusterfuq location that financial burdens the people, is a traffic nightmare and an ugly Euro-soccer design. The suburban (City of Industry) idea is the good one because of its opposite traits; lower total cost and self-financed, less traffic problems, surrounding area can be developed, unique and attractive architectural design.
http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/future/la08905.jpg

That One Guy
07-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Things that are factors right now:

Minny keeps pushing back against building a new stadium. The owner (Wolf?) keeps upping the portion he'll cover and I think that's still not gotten much favorable support.

Buffalo probably WANTS to move to Toronto but they've been getting a lot of resistance from the CFL and Canada in general. The theory is that an NFL team in Canada could overshadow the CFL and steal fans away. Toronto, I believe, supports it but everyone else says heck no.

There were rumors over the last few years of the Jags probing for a sale. It always gets denied when it leaks.

My personal guess is Jags if Wilson doesn't die in time. If Wilson dies soon (which I don't know of a reason why he would other than simple old age), they're definitely in contention. Vikings pretty much are just using it for leverage and the people would cave before they let them leave.

tsiguy96
07-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Things that are factors right now:

Minny keeps pushing back against building a new stadium. The owner (Wolf?) keeps upping the portion he'll cover and I think that's still not gotten much favorable support.

Buffalo probably WANTS to move to Toronto but they've been getting a lot of resistance from the CFL and Canada in general. The theory is that an NFL team in Canada could overshadow the CFL and steal fans away. Toronto, I believe, supports it but everyone else says heck no.

There were rumors over the last few years of the Jags probing for a sale. It always gets denied when it leaks.

My personal guess is Jags if Wilson doesn't die in time. If Wilson dies soon (which I don't know of a reason why he would other than simple old age), they're definitely in contention. Vikings pretty much are just using it for leverage and the people would cave before they let them leave.

hard to blame minnesota for not wanting to fund hundreds of millions of dollars just so one guy can make more money. regardless of the funds the vikings bring to minny, at the end of the day, the only reason he wnats a new stadium is to line his pocket book, at the expensive of the tax payers.

24champ
07-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Something to think about, the Vikings second largest fan base resides in Southern California. Lot of MN transplants out here. They did fill up the stadium when they played the Rams in LA.

That One Guy
07-29-2011, 08:22 AM
hard to blame minnesota for not wanting to fund hundreds of millions of dollars just so one guy can make more money. regardless of the funds the vikings bring to minny, at the end of the day, the only reason he wnats a new stadium is to line his pocket book, at the expensive of the tax payers.

Absolutely agreed. Taxpayer funded stadiums are one of the biggest examples of rich people using and abusing the people because they can. They could just hold the "either you pay for our stadium or some other city will" over the heads of the locals and get them to act. Finally someone is calling the bluff. It could suck for football but it really seems the ROI just isn't there.

That One Guy
07-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Something to think about, the Vikings second largest fan base resides in Southern California. Lot of MN transplants out here. They did fill up the stadium when they played the Rams in LA.

The problem with moving Minny to LA is you're getting even more people geographically isolated from a team. You already have the huge area that Washington/Minnesota/Denver/Green Bay take up. If you remove one, the locals either keep following the team that left them (unlikely) or start following one of those teams. They're not very likely to travel from Minnesota to one of those games the way they could travel to a local team.

Think of the teams currently failing and they're almost all in saturated markets. Minny can succeed because of the exact opposite. That'd be silly to throw that advantage away for no reason.

tsiguy96
07-29-2011, 08:28 AM
jacksonville is a team that should move, they started in a market with several other teams just a few hundred miles away and wondered why it took so long for their team to take hold (and still really hasnt).

best case scenario, however, is the chargers moving. geographically the league stays pretty much the same.

That One Guy
07-29-2011, 08:36 AM
jacksonville is a team that should move, they started in a market with several other teams just a few hundred miles away and wondered why it took so long for their team to take hold (and still really hasnt).

best case scenario, however, is the chargers moving. geographically the league stays pretty much the same.

I think they should take a map of the US and start just spreading the teams out. Jacksonville has a pop of 800K people and competes with the Florida teams, Atlanta, and NO all within a reasonable distance. Take a place like Little Rock (700k) or Oklahoma City (1.3M) and you draw in more rural populations that Jacksonville doesn't have and you also go into a market with less competition.

Maybe those exact cities wouldn't work but you get the point. They just need to spread out better.

TheReverend
07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I think they should take a map of the US and start just spreading the teams out. Jacksonville has a pop of 800K people and competes with the Florida teams, Atlanta, and NO all within a reasonable distance. Take a place like Little Rock (700k) or Oklahoma City (1.3M) and you draw in more rural populations that Jacksonville doesn't have and you also go into a market with less competition.

Maybe those exact cities wouldn't work but you get the point. They just need to spread out better.

The issue is winning and providing a good draw for fans.

If the Jags had the following UF does in NE Florida, it'd be a very different story.

That One Guy
07-29-2011, 08:47 AM
The issue is winning and providing a good draw for fans.

If the Jags had the following UF does in NE Florida, it'd be a very different story.

Very true.

Tombstone RJ
07-29-2011, 09:59 AM
If the Jagz move to LA, they have to then become an NFCW team (no way they become an AFCW team and screw with original and old AFL rivalries). Then the NFL would have to move the Rams to the AFCS.

The NFCW is then Seattle, San Fran, LA and AZ. The AFCS is St. Louis, Indy, Tex & Tenn.

broncofan2438
07-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Isn't Pat Bowlen practically broke?

The LA Broncos

Nice ring to it

Wow, your still an idiot.

That One Guy
07-29-2011, 10:06 AM
If the Jagz move to LA, they have to then become an NFCW team (no way they become an AFCW team and screw with original and old AFL rivalries). Then the NFL would have to move the Rams to the AFCS.

The NFCW is then Seattle, San Fran, LA and AZ. The AFCS is St. Louis, Indy, Tex & Tenn.

Texans don't fit in that division but I like Indy, STL, and Tenn in one.

That One Guy
07-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Wow, your still an idiot.

You say that like you're surprised.

boppool
07-29-2011, 11:04 AM
http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/AMAZONSLOGO_op_800x667.jpg

Swedish Extrovert
07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
If Buffalo moves to Toronto, that would give them a competitive advantage because of all the felons playing that cannot get a passport.

Drek
07-29-2011, 11:53 AM
The best solution: Pat Bowlen and Stan Kroenke swap teams. Bowlen sales rams to AEG then rides into sunset aka mental institute. Stan Kroenke restores Broncos to contenders with big spending ways (see Mark Cuban). Everyone wins...except st. louis fans.

Why do you think Kroenke wants to move the Rams? He's from Missouri, went to Mizzou, his wife and her family are from northern Arkansas, and they regularly attend almost every Rams home game in St. Louis. He's said multiple times he wants to keep the Rams in St. Louis, he's just trying to leverage L.A. into getting a new stadium from the tax payers.