PDA

View Full Version : PFT/Klis reporting Broncos want to trade Orton today

Pages : [1] 2

Ambiguous
07-26-2011, 05:58 AM
Report: Broncos want to trade Orton and do it fast

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 26, 2011, 7:43 AM EDT

The Broncos’ front office has always maintained publicly that quarterback Kyle Orton will get a fair chance to compete for the starting job. In reality, the Broncos would love to trade Orton before training camp even starts.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the Broncos will place Orton on the trading block, and Orton’s time remaining as a Bronco may be down to hours, not days.

So despite all the talk about competition, Tim Tebow is almost certainly going to be the starter, with Brady Quinn as his backup.

The question for Orton is whether any team will want to trade for his contract, which pays him almost $9 million this year. Unless he’s ready to agree to a new deal, Orton may be a tough sell.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/report-broncos-want-to-trade-orton-and-do-it-fast/

RunSilentRunDeep
07-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Dolphins reportedly calling. I'm going to the Miami game, I guess Orton add a good storyline and spares me the pain of watching Chad Henne.

Bob's your Information Minister
07-26-2011, 06:03 AM
I thought he was taking you guys to the Super Bowl?

Ambiguous
07-26-2011, 06:05 AM

He's no Cassel.

Ambiguous
07-26-2011, 06:09 AM
Dolphins reportedly calling. I'm going to the Miami game, I guess Orton add a good storyline and spares me the pain of watching Chad Henne.

Just saw that - here's the link:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/dolphins-interested-in-acquiring-kyle-orton/

Beantown Bronco
07-26-2011, 06:12 AM

I guess that would beg the question, is Brandon Marshall HIS favorite person right now?

RhymesayersDU
07-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Nice, hope we get something good.

Bigdawg26
07-26-2011, 06:14 AM
It will be nice to get a third rounder from him, and free up 9 mil!

jhns
07-26-2011, 06:18 AM
I guess that would beg the question, is Brandon Marshall HIS favorite person right now?

That wont matter when we trade Orton for Marshall.

I can't wait for Orton to be gone. The guy is a terrible QB.

Kaylore
07-26-2011, 06:21 AM
I'll take a bag of funions.

Beantown Bronco
07-26-2011, 06:22 AM
I'd rather go without any backup QB than have Brady Quinn in there.

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 06:27 AM
Shipping Orton immediately accomplishes a few things. Hopefully we'll get something worthwhile in compensation. However ensuring that Tebow gets every possible snap with the first unit is priority #1.

There's also the money that will come off the books which in turn can be given give to Mebane.

dbfan21
07-26-2011, 06:32 AM

Kaylore...I always think of this when I hear funions.

I would consider this the exhaustive list of requests in exchange for Orton...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fXFY8VLMXs

Hilarious!

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-26-2011, 06:37 AM
So long, Orton, and thanks for all the fish.

baja
07-26-2011, 06:38 AM

Yes he will be driving Meck's bus but you can't go. ;D

baja
07-26-2011, 06:40 AM
I'd rather go without any backup QB than have Brady Quinn in there.

At best Brady Quinn's skill as a back up is unknown.

bronclvr
07-26-2011, 06:42 AM
And, if Tebow somehow goes down (oh, the horror! zowie!), we are all comfortable with Quinn being the replacement, yes?

ICON
07-26-2011, 06:43 AM
The Vikings would be wise to try and low ball Denver into trading him there. He's just the kind of QB that team could use to remain successful in the short term until Ponder takes over.

Gcver2ver3
07-26-2011, 06:45 AM
The Vikings would be wise to try and low ball Denver into trading him there. He's just the kind of QB that team could use to remain successful in the short term until Ponder takes over.

i agree, i've thought all along Orton's best fit is in Minny...

but if the rumors are true about all these other teams showing interest, low balling won't get it done...

Dagmar
07-26-2011, 06:46 AM
And, if Tebow somehow goes down (oh, the horror! zowie!), we are all comfortable with Quinn being the replacement, yes?

Are you comfortable tying up 9 million in the back up QB position when we are a whopping 1 million under the cap?

jhns
07-26-2011, 06:46 AM

1. The offseason just started. We do have the ability to sign new guys.

2. Orton just led a 3-10 season. Why would it matter what Quinn can do? We aren't getting better from Orton.

baja
07-26-2011, 06:47 AM

This but we don't have to give him away.

WolfpackGuy
07-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Get Orton the **** outta here!

Let him screw up the game manager role somewhere else.

ColoradoDarin
07-26-2011, 06:50 AM
With the new CBA and new cap rules, just getting anything for Orton is good. Get it today is even better. We'd be trading Orton for $9 million in cap room.

Beantown Bronco
07-26-2011, 06:53 AM

That's not what his boyfriend says.

cmhargrove
07-26-2011, 06:55 AM

It would certainly accomplish the goal of working on a determined run game. I mean, I originally became a Broncos fan not just because of Elway, but because of our incredible run game.

I want it back.

Give me Tebow all day so we win games, but fix the run game first and the QB issue will settle itself.

WolfpackGuy
07-26-2011, 06:55 AM
I'm sure the Broncos will have to eat some of that 9 mill to get someone to bite though.

I guess it depends on what they're asking for.

Lolad
07-26-2011, 06:57 AM
Can somebody explain our cap number? Are we over the cap limit and we have to dump salaries/restructure?

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 07:00 AM
Can somebody explain our cap number? Are we over the cap limit and we have to dump salaries/restructure?

We are not over the number, but I don't think we can spend willy nilly either.

Gcver2ver3
07-26-2011, 07:01 AM

to my understanding, we're 1 mil under the cap...

but i'm still not sure if thats counting our top 51 or all scheduled salary...

jhns

I would love to get the real answer to this. The thing is, if you ask five different people on the message boards, you will get five diffrrent answers. I'm just going with, no one knows yet, we will get the real answer after people have time to figure out exactly how the new CBA works.

Dedhed
I'm sure the Broncos will have to eat some of that 9 mill to get someone to bite though.
I doubt it. I think any team that trades for him is going to sign him to a new deal, so that 9 million will never hit anyone's books.

jonny1
07-26-2011, 07:09 AM
So long, Orton, and thanks for all the fish.

Kudos for the Hitchhiker's Guide reference . . . :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 07:10 AM
i agree, i've thought all along Orton's best fit is in Minny...

but if the rumors are true about all these other teams showing interest, low balling won't get it done...

I'm thinking Minny, Seattle, or Arizona. When the Eagles try and rape teams for Kolb, they'll look to Denver for Orton, who is younger and more accurate than McNabb at this point in their respective careers.

spdirty
07-26-2011, 07:12 AM
I heard the cap number is for 72 guys under contract. WTF is Quinn's number btw? I remember it being pretty damn high as well. Maybe we could trade Orton and outright release Quinn and get a cheaper backup. ???

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 07:15 AM
I heard the cap number is for 72 guys under contract. WTF is Quinn's number btw? I remember it being pretty damn high as well. Maybe we could trade Orton and outright release Quinn and get a cheaper backup. ???

Danny Kanell, come on down! :yayaya:

RunSilentRunDeep
07-26-2011, 07:15 AM

I believe Quinn is dirt cheap, like $700,000.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-26-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm thinking Minny, Seattle, or Arizona. When the Eagles try and rape teams for Kolb, they'll look to Denver for Orton, who is younger and more accurate than McNabb at this point in their respective careers.

He's a decent quarterback for a team with a lot of pieces in place and will come at a reasonable price. I am with you on Minny, Seattle and AZ.

Didn't I hear a rumor this off season that he was in AZ throwing with Larry Fitz?

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Still overpaid given what he's shown thus far.

spdirty
07-26-2011, 07:17 AM

Oh. Cool. Was wondering if he was still under that rookie contract. Keep him then.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 07:19 AM
He's a decent quarterback for a team with a lot of pieces in place and will come at a reasonable price. I am with you on Minny, Seattle and AZ.

Didn't I hear a rumor this off season that he was in AZ throwing with Larry Fitz?

And he's elusive. ;)

BMarsh615
07-26-2011, 07:24 AM
First Bronco in the building at 8:01 this morning? Tim Tebow. Of course.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/95860941996040192

zdoor
07-26-2011, 07:27 AM

Shocker

s0phr0syne
07-26-2011, 07:39 AM
You guys are undervaluing Orton, but whatever. That's the M.O. for Broncos fans. Can't wait until we turn on Tebow. What have you done for me lately, no?

Abqbronco
07-26-2011, 07:40 AM
Shocker

I'm shocked. Where's Dawkins?:sunshine:

TonyR
07-26-2011, 07:41 AM
...McNabb...

Speaking of McNabb, if he was agreeable to a backup role and the Broncos could get him relatively cheap, would/should they be interested? Doesn't sound like anybody is interested in him as a starter...

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 07:46 AM
You guys are undervaluing Orton, but whatever. That's the M.O. for Broncos fans. Can't wait until we turn on Tebow. What have you done for me lately, no?

Value is only as good as the market. His performance is a component of it but is irrelevant compared to the market that exists for his services. Real estate is no different. If you own a palace in a crappy market, it will be severely undervalued because of it. So the folks implying that we will take what we can get for Orton are not entirely off base, considering he's got a 9million dollar cap hit and guys like Kolb (not necessarily better but hyped to the max), hasselbeck (superbowl pedigree), mcnabb (overhyped because of his name and not better than orton), young (head case but supremely talented) etc. are still available. Let the market develop, over-ask in a trade, and see what the market will bear.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 07:48 AM
Speaking of McNabb, if he was agreeable to a backup role and the Broncos could get him relatively cheap, would/should they be interested? Doesn't sound like anybody is interested in him as a starter...

i don't know, man, the guy seems used up. he ain't exactly a team guy who's willing to tutor a young qb, either. he also couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

jhns
07-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Or, what have you done for me? Why would you include 'lately' in there?

There is a reason that every team that Orton is on, has always been looking for a replacement. You can claim he was doing great, but I'll listen to those making the game plans. They say Orton isn't doing what is asked of him.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Damn straight. That's how leaders operate. If he fails, it won't be because of his work ethic.

Gcver2ver3
07-26-2011, 07:51 AM
WTF is Quinn's number btw? I remember it being pretty damn high as well. Maybe we could outright release Quinn and get a cheaper backup. ???

let's get all the blood out of that turnip...

don't cut Quinn trade him...obviously his value is low but we can still get something for him, some team is dumb enough...we need RB help...i recommend trading him for Peyton Hillis...

chawknz
07-26-2011, 07:52 AM
And now we have 4 quarterbacks

Taco John
07-26-2011, 07:55 AM
let's get all the blood out of that turnip...

don't cut Quinn trade him...obviously his value is low but we can still get something for him, some team is dumb enough...we need RB help...i recommend trading him for Peyton Hillis...

I was going to say that there is no way that there is a team dumb enough to trade for Quinn, but then I remembered that Josh still has a job in St. Louis.

MacGruder
07-26-2011, 07:58 AM
Mike and Mike were saying how they wouldn't trade Orton in order to play Tebow. They just lost all credibility on the subject. Any time someone talks about how well Orton performed while touting his numbers just shows to me they either didn't actually watch the games OR they are simply using the interest in Tebow and the controversy about his ability to create drama.

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Maybe that means there is a deal in place for Oroton; fingers crossed.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Maybe that means there is a deal in place for Oroton; fingers crossed.

I know Mortensen was really talking Orton up on Mike and Mike this morning, saying he could be the main object of trade talks from multiple teams, so if we can get a good deal, pull the trigger. If not, then doing nothing is always an option, since you know qb's are bound to go down in camp and pre-season, which could make him more valuable.

RunSilentRunDeep
07-26-2011, 08:07 AM

Who is No. 4?

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 08:09 AM
Who is No. 4?

Adam Weber; UDFA from Minnesota. He was working with Decker in the off-season.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
One interesting thought is that Manning is still recovering from neck surgery and is way behind on his rehab due to the lockout. He may not be ready for the start of the season and I don't see Indy wanting to go to war for any prolonged period of time with Curtis Painter. If they could get Orton to be less of a cap hit, there's at least a snowball's chance in hell of them making a move for him. I know, prolly not, but stranger things have happened.

Denver724
07-26-2011, 08:10 AM
I know Mortensen was really talking Orton up on Mike and Mike this morning, saying he could be the main object of trade talks from multiple teams, so if we can get a good deal, pull the trigger. If not, then doing nothing is always an option, since you know qb's are bound to go down in camp and pre-season, which could make him more valuable.

This is the way I see it. Let Tebow do his thing. If he sucks we won't have a great record and we will draft a QB. Hopefully Luck. If he is great than great. No use in keeping Orton around. Time to move on and build a Super Bowl contending team.

barryr
07-26-2011, 08:15 AM
It is a trade that needs to happen. It is clear Tebow is the starter and I think was when Fox was named the coach. Orton will not be happy in a backup role with the Broncos and the money he is due would be better off used elsewhere, namely DT. I don't have ill feelings towards Orton since if you look at his stats, they are quite good, but without any kind of defense and spotty at best running game, he was not able to make enough plays on his own when plays broke down. I have more respect for Orton than I do Cutler that is for sure.

eddie mac
07-26-2011, 08:15 AM
Delhomme will be Tebow's back up once the dust settles.

Bob's your Information Minister
07-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Remember when you guys were swinging from Orton's nuts 2 years ago?

LOL

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 08:17 AM
This is the way I see it. Let Tebow do his thing. If he sucks we won't have a great record and we will draft a QB. Hopefully Luck. If he is great than great. No use in keeping Orton around. Time to move on and build a Super Bowl contending team.

I concur. Time to move beyond mediocrity and raise our standards, building with some bold moves. Orton may get us some defensive pieces that Elway can use to build a contender.

TonyR
07-26-2011, 08:23 AM
This could reduce Miami's interest...

Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin, one of the top undrafted players, reached a three-year agreement with the Miami Dolphins, a source said.

Devlin will go to Miami and compete against incumbent quarterback Chad Henne for playing time.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound Devlin threw for 3,032 yards and 22 touchdowns last season. He went to Delaware after transferring from Penn State.

The Arizona Cardinals were among the many teams to contact Devlin Monday night, but Devlin picked the chance to compete for playing time in Miami as his best option.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6802967/miami-dolphins-sign-undrafted-qb-pat-devlin-source-says

MacGruder
07-26-2011, 08:23 AM

What do you mean IF he sucks?

Shouldn't the Broncos personnel know by now if Tebow is good enough? Shouldn't the fans also know?

I mean we have seen him play a lot to this point.. and against NFL competition. He even out performed all the other rookie QBs in the time he had. He even broke records in his first games in the process.

TonyR
07-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Wouldn't surprise me. A veteran backup is a really good idea and probably what Fox prefers.

barryr
07-26-2011, 08:27 AM
This could reduce Miami's interest...

Delaware quarterback Pat Devlin, one of the top undrafted players, reached a three-year agreement with the Miami Dolphins, a source said.

Devlin will go to Miami and compete against incumbent quarterback Chad Henne for playing time.

The 6-foot-3, 225-pound Devlin threw for 3,032 yards and 22 touchdowns last season. He went to Delaware after transferring from Penn State.

The Arizona Cardinals were among the many teams to contact Devlin Monday night, but Devlin picked the chance to compete for playing time in Miami as his best option.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6802967/miami-dolphins-sign-undrafted-qb-pat-devlin-source-says

An undrafted rookie QB would make Miami not want to trade for Orton? Um, no.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 08:27 AM

LOL

well, when Kyle Freakin' Orton can drop 4 TD's on the vaunted KC defense in a rout of epic proportions, what do you expect? YOu remember 49-29, right Bob? KYLE ORTON did that to you, man. Hilarious!

55CrushEm
07-26-2011, 08:29 AM

LOL

Remember how you were swing from Brodie Frayle's ?

LOL

TonyR
An undrafted rookie QB would make Miami not want to trade for Orton? Um, no.

Read my comment again. Where/when did I say "would make Miami not want to trade for Orton"?

Aftermath
I have always hated Orton and always will.

WolfpackGuy
Devlin can play and he can move pretty well.

He'll have to work on taking snaps from center though.

About 90% of UD's offense is from the shotgun.

Kaylore
07-26-2011, 08:31 AM
Kaylore...I always think of this when I hear funions.

I would consider this the exhaustive list of requests in exchange for Orton...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fXFY8VLMXs

Hilarious!

I always think of this
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9Kgx2b1sIRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

barryr
07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Read my comment again. Where/when did I say "would make Miami not want to trade for Orton"?

You stated "may reduce their interest" which is basically saying the same thing. Why would an undrafted rookie QB have anything to do with their interest in Orton? Makes no sense.

TonyR
07-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Devlin can play and he can move pretty well.

He'll have to work on taking snaps from center though.

About 90% of UD's offense is from the shotgun.

I'm far from sold on Devlin as a pro but Miami's interest, particularly since it appears there was competition, could mean they aren't immediately interested in Orton. Or it could just be a bargaining ploy. Or, of course, it could be nothing. We'll find out within the next several days I guess!

TailgateNut
07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
nothin like going "all in" with a one eyed jack and an off suit 3.

Hope tebow doesn't falter. If he does, we have the equivalent of Simms with a spleen as our back-up. yikes

TonyR
07-26-2011, 08:37 AM
You stated "may reduce their interest" which is basically saying the same thing. Why would an undrafted rookie QB have anything to do with their interest in Orton? Makes no sense.

LOL "may reduce their interest" is NOT the same as "won't sign him". Not even close.

Most people thought Devlin would be drafted so he was the best UDFA QB prospect out there. The fact that Miami signed him could mean that's the direction they chose to go instead of Orton. Do you not see how this could be possible? That being said I won't be surprised if Orton is traded to Miami this afternoon but I think this signing reduces the chances.

strafen
07-26-2011, 08:38 AM
I was going to say that there is no way that there is a team dumb enough to trade for Quinn, but then I remembered that Josh still has a job in St. Louis.I'll bet Mcdaniels would take Quinn if we put together a package deal that would include a longsnapper! ROFL!

StugotsIII
07-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Devlin couldn't beat out Daryll Clark of PSU…

I think too many people are putting WAY too much into the fact that these teams are signing UDFA's…

Pat Devlin will most likely be out of the league in 2 years...

Pick Six
07-26-2011, 08:39 AM
DOH! :kiddingme

MacGruder
07-26-2011, 08:41 AM
nothin like going "all in" with a one eyed jack and an off suit 3.

Hope tebow doesn't falter. If he does, we have the equivalent of Simms with a spleen as our back-up. yikes

They could always tell Tebow to just fall down in the fetal position if there isn't a man open or there is the slightest hint of contact like Orton did.

I think there is this fear about Tebow playing because there is so much bizarre skepticism about Tebow AND Tebow actually tries to win the games like a NFL QB should which puts him in much more jeopardy than Orton.

barryr
07-26-2011, 08:43 AM
LOL "may reduce their interest" is NOT the same as "won't sign him". Not even close.

Most people thought Devlin would be drafted so he was the best UDFA QB prospect out there. The fact that Miami signed him could mean that's the direction they chose to go instead of Orton. Do you not see how this could be possible? That being said I won't be surprised if Orton is traded to Miami this afternoon but I think this signing reduces the chances.

Yes, teams trade for players they aren't interested in all the time LOL

What is possible is maybe Miami has decided that Orton's contract is not what they want or not willing to trade what the Broncos are asking for and have decided to go another route. But you seemed to suggest that signing of Devlin, a rookie undrafted QB from Delaware, is the reason they would lose interest in Orton and that makes no sense. Undrafted rookie RB's can make immediate impacts, but the same for QB's? No.

barryr
07-26-2011, 08:44 AM
Devlin couldn't beat out Daryll Clark of PSU…

I think too many people are putting WAY too much into the fact that these teams are signing UDFA's…

Pat Devlin will most likely be out of the league in 2 years...

True, most of these guys will be out of the NFL by then and most will have a hard time making a roster this year, as is the case every year. Losing type teams may believe signing an undrafted player is good enough reason not to make a trade for some player, but not winning type of teams at least.

NFLBRONCO
07-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Sweet we add a 4th rounder. Please do a player for player trade

WolfpackGuy
07-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Other than the garbage time stats, aren't Orton and Henne the same player?

StugotsIII
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM

No.

EmpireOrange
07-26-2011, 08:54 AM
We already know this.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=98897

Stay tuned for more blockbuster inside information.

MacGruder
07-26-2011, 09:00 AM

It's really comical because Henne dissed Tebow before the draft for some reason. I don't know if it was because Henne thought Miami was going to draft Tebow or what. But Henne said Tebow wasn't an NFL quarterback. It would be hilarious if Tebow bumping Orton knocked Henne out of his spot on Miami.

jhns
07-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Nope. Henne is only in his fourth season and could still grow. Orton is in his seventh and still can't find a coach that wants to keep him.

DBroncos4life
07-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Nope. Henne is only in his fourth season and could still grow. Orton is in his seventh and still can't find a coach that wants to keep him.

Yet the Phins coach is trying to trade for Orton when he has Henne. Gee wonder why that is.

oubronco
07-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Take it how you will

RT @incarceratedbob (http://twitter.com/incarceratedbob): **UPDATED NFL TRADE RUMORS**Source: Denver Broncos have two deals on the table for Kyle Orton ( Cardinals & Dolphins )
1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/#!/AbsoluteFire/status/95886866804514816)

HooptyHoops
07-26-2011, 09:06 AM
Take it how you will

RT @incarceratedbob (http://twitter.com/incarceratedbob): **UPDATED NFL TRADE RUMORS**Source: Denver Broncos have two deals on the table for Kyle Orton ( Cardinals & Dolphins )

I like it! Like it a lot!!

rbackfactory80
07-26-2011, 09:07 AM

Hell no. He needs to cut ties with that security blanket. He has been attached to him because of one Superball appearance over a decade ago.

55CrushEm
07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Hell no. He needs to cut ties with that security blanket. He has been attached to him because of one Superball appearance over a decade ago.

7 1/2 years ago.....but I get your point.

Taco John
07-26-2011, 09:13 AM

LOL

I like Orton for all the same reasons I liked him 2 years ago. He's a good care taker transition guy that can come in, stabilize the position, and give you an opportunity to bring in someone underneath him. I personally feel the same way about Orton as I did about Griese at the end of his tenure - which is that I think he'd make a great back-up quarterback if he's willing to structure his deal as such and take on the role.

jhns
07-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Yet the Phins coach is trying to trade for Orton when he has Henne. Gee wonder why that is.

And we are trying to trade for Cutler!

It is fun to argue with made up facts.

zdoor
07-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Take it how you will

As was suggested in another thread and I doubt it would happen, but if we take a player, DRC would be an absolute steal for Orton...

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 09:17 AM

umm.....wtf are you talking about?

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
As was suggested in another thread and I doubt it would happen, but if we take a player, DRC would be an absolute steal for Orton...

DRC?

zdoor
07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
DRC?

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

DBroncos4life
07-26-2011, 09:19 AM

**** the board knows all to well what it's like arguing with you. No need to point it out too us.

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
Ah. That would definitely work for me!

DBroncos4life
07-26-2011, 09:21 AM
umm.....wtf are you talking about?

Who knows. It's easier just to pat in him on the back and say good boy.

2KBack
07-26-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm hoping for Arizona personally, I'd like to still be able to cheer for Orton, and I really can't stand Miami.

TonyR
07-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Take it how you will

I wonder if AZ is using Orton to try to lower what the Eagles are asking for Kolb. No way they want Orton more than Kolb.

baja
07-26-2011, 09:23 AM
They could always tell Tebow to just fall down in the fetal position if there isn't a man open or there is the slightest hint of contact like Orton did.

I think there is this fear about Tebow playing because there is so much bizarre skepticism about Tebow AND Tebow actually tries to win the games like a NFL QB should which puts him in much more jeopardy than Orton.

Tebow has the body type to be Bret Farve durable.

oubronco
07-26-2011, 09:24 AM
FantasySolution (http://twitter.com/#!/FantasySolution)Fantasy Solution Inc

Denver #Broncos (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Broncos) Execs place QB Kyle Orton on the trading block while preparing documents for Jake Delhomme to backup (and mentor) Tim Tebow.

I do not want Delhomme

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 09:25 AM

I'll pay for them Ha!

jhns
07-26-2011, 09:25 AM
**** the board knows all to well what it's like arguing with you. No need to point it out too us.

Yeah, arguing reality, while using facts, really isn't this forums way of doing things.

oubronco
07-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Hilarious!

NOTSportsCenterNOT SportsCenter

SOURCES: Kyle Orton can be had from the #Broncos for a bag of footballs, but have been told that's "too expensive"

Hercules Rockefeller
07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Incarcerated Bob doesn't know anything.

Abqbronco
07-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I do not want Delhomme[/QUOTE]

Better him than Quinn. I will be very afraid with Brady as the back up

Tombstone RJ
07-26-2011, 09:28 AM

Denver #Broncos (http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Broncos) Execs place QB Kyle Orton on the trading block while preparing documents for Jake Delhomme to backup (and mentor) Tim Tebow.

I do not want Delhomme

Not a real big fan of Delhomme but if he comes cheap then he's a valid option to help Tebow learn Fox's system. If Tebow gets hurt (let's not kid ourselves, this is a real possibility) then Delhomme can step in. If Delhomme gets hurt (don't kid yourselves, this is a real possibility) then Quinn comes in.

oubronco
07-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Not a real big fan of Delhomme but if he comes cheap then he's a valid option to help Tebow learn Fox's system. If Tebow gets hurt (let's not kid ourselves, this is a real possibility) then Delhomme can step in. If Delhomme gets hurt (don't kid yourselves, this is a real possibility) then Quinn comes in.

Then (don't kid yourselves, this is a real possibility) we'll be in excellent shape to draft Luck

TerrElway
07-26-2011, 09:29 AM
NFL Radio on Sirius XM was reporting last week Tebow was #1 unless he gets hurt or sucks in epic fashion and that the Broncs are moving Orton and will take a 3rd rounder minimum for him.

That's three sources now. Good bye Orton - have fun managing someone else's offense.

Tombstone RJ
07-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Then (don't kid yourselves, this is a real possibility) we'll be in excellent shape to draft Luck

si

Bronco Yoda
07-26-2011, 09:30 AM
May the Tebowner be with us all.

Embrace the Tebowner....Long live the Tebowner!

broncocalijohn
07-26-2011, 09:31 AM

It does beg the question "Are we comfortable with Quinn as our #2?" Tebow will get hurt and come out a play, a series or a game or two. Quinn can handle the first two circumstances ok but do we need to see Chris Simms 2.0 at this time? I don't have a solution as we didn't draft a QB but it has been awhile since we felt comfortable with our #2 prior to 2010.

oubronco
07-26-2011, 09:32 AM
May the Tebowner be with us all.

Embrace the Tebowner....Long live the Tebowner!

You can embrace all the bowners you'd like......Not that there's anything wrong with that

underrated29
07-26-2011, 09:32 AM
You can embrace all the bowners you'd like......Not that there's anything wrong with that

Its not gay if its with tebow

Gcver2ver3
07-26-2011, 09:33 AM

I do not want Delhomme

as the backup qb, i like the move...

Taco John
07-26-2011, 09:33 AM

I do not want Delhomme

Why not? He'd make a great back-up.

DBroncos4life
07-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah, arguing reality, while using facts, really isn't this forums way of doing things.

What facts are you ****ing talking about? That Henne has room to grow? What taller? Fatter? What the **** does that have to do with the reports that the Phins are looking into getting Orton?

Bronco Yoda
07-26-2011, 09:36 AM

Sooner or later you too will be sporting the Tebowner.

ghostofjosh
07-26-2011, 09:37 AM
incarcerated bob is wrong 90% of the time

Bronco Yoda
07-26-2011, 09:38 AM
It does beg the question "Are we comfortable with Quinn as our #2?" Tebow will get hurt and come out a play, a series or a game or two. Quinn can handle the first two circumstances ok but do we need to see Chris Simms 2.0 at this time? I don't have a solution as we didn't draft a QB but it has been awhile since we felt comfortable with our #2 prior to 2010.

Oh hell NO. But you can't fix everything at once.

jhns
07-26-2011, 09:39 AM
What facts are you ****ing talking about? That Henne has room to grow? What taller? Fatter? What the **** does that have to do with the reports that the Phins are looking into getting Orton?

You can't really be this dumb.

The fins are trying to trade for Orton <> There are rumors that the Fins want Orton.

Pick Six
07-26-2011, 09:41 AM
I'd rather have Delhomme as the backup, than Quinn. Quinn has done absolutely NOTHING in the NFL...

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 09:42 AM
You can't really be this dumb.

The fins are trying to trade for Orton <> There are rumors that the Fins want Orton.

You clearly don't have a television and are posting from a public library computer.

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 09:42 AM
If we're just waiting on Delhomme paperwork to get him in as the backup, you can't tell me we haven't been tampering like a mother ****er...

Good. =D

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM

I do not want Delhomme

I second that. Rag arm, poor judgment, and no longer trustworthy even holding a clipboard. I can't see any measurable difference between Delhomme now and Quinn now.

jhns
07-26-2011, 09:44 AM
You clearly don't have a television and are posting from a public library computer.

I almost never post from a computer. Phones are better.

So, who confirmed the fins trying to get Orton? What did they offer?

StugotsIII
07-26-2011, 09:45 AM
I second that. Rag arm, poor judgment, and no longer trustworthy even holding a clipboard. I can't see any measurable difference between Delhomme now and Quinn now.

Experience….

Was Quinn ever a **** hair away from winning a Super Bowl MVP?

TheReverend

...A wealth of experience?

Dedhed
I almost never post from a computer. Phones are better.

So, who confirmed the fins trying to get Orton? What did they offer?

www.turnonatv.com

Popcorn Sutton
07-26-2011, 09:46 AM
...A wealth of experience?

Throwing INT's... LOL

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 09:48 AM
Throwing INT's... LOL

Outside of the past 2 years, that's really never been an issue...

jhns
07-26-2011, 09:49 AM
www.turnonatv.com

I can't change the channel on the TV near me. I will get attacked.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-26-2011, 09:50 AM
incarcerated bob is wrong 90% of the time

Has he ever been right?

Popcorn Sutton
07-26-2011, 09:54 AM

I think he'll be good as a mentor. If Tebow goes down and he becomes the starter, we have issues. But, you could say that about a LOT of teams.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 09:56 AM

That's an argument against Jake, not for him.

DBroncos4life
07-26-2011, 09:57 AM

It's cool be ill informed and yet call me out on facts.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-26-2011, 10:02 AM

The other prisoners are enjoying the Lifetime Movie of the Week, and jhns doesn't want to get stabbed... in a manner of speaking...

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 10:03 AM
That's an argument against Jake, not for him.

No it's not. The argument is about his wealth of experience. Not how great of a starter he is 36 years old.

RunSilentRunDeep
07-26-2011, 10:04 AM

I do not want Delhomme

Oh good. "Fantasy Solution" reported it. That site always beats Schefter. But I wonder why the Broncos are spending time today preparing documents for Jake Delhomme since the Browns can't release him until Thursday, 4:01 ET.

WolfpackGuy
07-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Delhomme?

Why?

snowspot66
07-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I'll never understand why anybody cares who the backup QB is. Unless you have a great contending team the backup is irrelevant. The minute you get to the backup you know your ****ed.

Gcver2ver3
07-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Oh good. "Fantasy Solution" reported it. That site always beats Schefter. But I wonder why the Broncos are spending time today preparing documents for Jake Delhomme since the Browns can't release him until Thursday, 4:01 ET.
well being that he's not released yet, wouldnt it be proactive to prepare the documentation?...why wait til he's released?...prepare the necassry stuff that doesn't require his presence and then its done when he's cut...

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 10:09 AM
No it's not. The argument is about his wealth of experience. Not how great of a starter he is 36 years old.

If his INT's have gone up (in jake's case, WAY up) in the last two years, it's clear he's not close to what he once was. His last two years demonstrate a downward trend, so why would we want a backup that's in decline? Oh yeah, experience. In that case, see if Otto Graham's available.

go_broncos
07-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Delhomme is horrible QB.
If Fox is trying to get Delhomme, then i will assume that fox is g.y.

Smiling Assassin27
well being that he's not released yet, wouldnt it be proactive to prepare the documentation?...why wait til he's released?...prepare the necassry stuff that doesn't require his presence and then its done when he's cut...

indeed, we don't want someone to swoop in and trump us.. Hilarious!

ok, maybe snyder might.

Steve Sewell
I'll never understand why anybody cares who the backup QB is. Unless you have a great contending team the backup is irrelevant. The minute you get to the backup you know your ****ed.

Pretty much this...especially in the Broncos case. Hell, a back up QB starting for a contending team is pretty much the kiss of death too.

OABB
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Im so happy fox values qbs who score points and want to win. Thank god some of the idiots on this board who dont like that are internet nerds and not our coaches.

Steve Sewell
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Delhomme is horrible QB.
If Fox is trying to get Delhomme, then i will assume that fox is g.y.

Oh god, you again.

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Delhomme is horrible QB.

Half of the starters in the league are terrible. What's your point?

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
If his INT's have gone up (in jake's case, WAY up) in the last two years, it's clear he's not close to what he once was. His last two years demonstrate a downward trend, so why would we want a backup that's in decline? Oh yeah, experience. In that case, see if Otto Graham's available.

If Otto Graham knew John Fox better than any QB in NFL history and were still alive, I'd totally agree.

Instead, you'd rather judge how he plays off the bench in a new system or coming right off injury. Naturally if he signs we'll all hope he doesn't have to play.

Abqbronco
07-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Pretty much this...especially in the Broncos case. Hell, a back up QB starting for a contending team is pretty much the kiss of death too.

Bubby Brister just said, "Huh?"

go_broncos
07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Half of the starters in the league are terrible. What's your point?

you don't want a QB like Delhomme teaching Tebow.
I prefer QB like Kerry Collins as a Backup.

snowspot66
07-26-2011, 10:16 AM

Congratulations, you've picked one of the only teams in league history that is an exception to the rule. Of course that team was an exception because the team was so damned good we just needed a QB to not **** it up.

Steve Sewell
07-26-2011, 10:17 AM

There are some rare cases like that, but that was at a time when the running game was so dominant that I could have been put in at QB. The NFL has changed a lot and is more of a passing league now. Just imagine for a moment if someone like Peyton Manning went down. The Colts would be finished.

DBroncos4life
07-26-2011, 10:19 AM

Yeah look at all Vince Young learned.

WolfpackGuy
Delhomme is still shellshocked from that disaster against the Cards a few years back.

Pass.

Might as well keep Orton if they're going to go that route.

SonOfLe-loLang

Collins retired.

This whole "mentor" thing seems like an incredible amount of bull**** anyway.

Beantown Bronco
07-26-2011, 10:20 AM

Why? They're extremely similar IMO. In fact, Delhomme has better career numbers than Collins.

yds/attempt
TD:INT ratio
QB rating

All SIGNIFICANTLY favor Delhomme.

Smiling Assassin27
If Otto Graham knew John Fox better than any QB in NFL history and were still alive, I'd totally agree.

Instead, you'd rather judge how he plays off the bench in a new system or coming right off injury. Naturally if he signs we'll all hope he doesn't have to play.

I realize that the backup qb doesn't have to be Brady-caliber, and that if the backup is playing, things have gone horribly wrong in bronco-land. I see the point also that it doesn't really matter much who the backup is, as he's a backup for a reason. I prefer to judge based on what the guy is doing now, not 2 years ago, and think that if the price is right, there are better options who are physically better and almost as experienced. Volek's a guy I'd take a look at over Jake, and so is Gradkowski or Bulger.

snowspot66
Delhomme is still shellshocked from that disaster against the Cards a few years back.

Pass.

Delhomme is being brought in as a coach who happens to be a player still. I'll trust Fox to know if he's a capable coach. The backup QB is irrelevant in all other respects. If Tebow goes down it will be an awful year anyway.

barryr
07-26-2011, 10:21 AM

Pass.

Not for 9 million when this team needs some more help up front on defense. This team needs to worry about STARTERS on the defense than worrying so much about a BACKUP at QB. Teams trying to rebuild need to worry about finding quality starters or it won't matter who is at QB, much less who is at the #2 QB spot.

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 10:22 AM
I realize that the backup qb doesn't have to be Brady-caliber, and that if the backup is playing, things have gone horribly wrong in bronco-land. I see the point also that it doesn't really matter much who the backup is, as he's a backup for a reason. I prefer to judge based on what the guy is doing now, not 2 years ago, and think that if the price is right, there are better options who are physically better and almost as experienced. Volek's a guy I'd take a look at over Jake, and so is Gradkowski or Bulger.

...Odd that your examples run COMPLETELY counterproductive to your main "point", don't you think?

Care to enlighten me on what Bulger, Gradkowski and Volek have done "now" as opposed to "two years ago"?

razorwire77
07-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Don't really get what the big deal is about signing Delhomme to the vet minimum to hold a clipboard. If Tebow gets hurt or sucks, or Quinn or Delhomme get significant playing time we are looking at a 4 or 5 win team and the Luck sweepstakes anyway.

barryr
07-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Don't really get what the big deal is about signing Delhomme to the vet minimum to hold a clipboard. If Tebow gets hurt or sucks, or Quinn or Delhomme get significant playing time we are looking at a 4 or 5 win team and the Luck sweepstakes anyway.

True, the best teams worry more about their backup QB spot since pretty much have all the other pieces in place and don't want a possible championship season ruined with one injury to their QB. But a team like the Broncos needs to start finding all those pieces before worrying so much about their backup QB. It would be wise for them to find a veteran QB just in case, but no matter who that guy is, even Orton, they would likely be in trouble anyway. So why pay 9 mil. for a backup QB when your team isn't a contender yet?

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
True, the best teams worry more about their backup QB spot since pretty much have all the other pieces in place and don't want a possible championship season ruined with one injury to their QB. But a team like the Broncos needs to start finding all those pieces before worrying so much about their backup QB. It would be wise for them to find a veteran QB just in case, but no matter who that guy is, even Orton, they would likely be in trouble anyway. So why pay 9 mil. for a backup QB when your team isn't a contender yet?

Do you have some examples?

Man-Goblin
07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
What the hell is g.y.?

barryr
07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Do you have some examples?

The Eagles for one. They once had McNabb, drafted Kolb early, and signed Vick all at QB. The Packers with Favre drafted Rogers early.

24champ
07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Seriously...Jake Delhomme?

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/adamci1/20a7755de8e6.gif

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
The Eagles for one. They once had McNabb, drafted Kolb early, and signed Vick all at QB. The Packers with Favre drafted Rogers early.

They were both planning for the future without their star QBs, not planning for "back ups"

barryr
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM
They were both planning for the future without their star QBs, not planning for "back ups"

Or looking for a quality QB behind their starting QB since thought could still contend having other pieces in place. From what I remember, the Packers made it to the NFC Championship game in Favre's last year with Rogers backing him up. McNabb had injury problems, so they obviously needed help at backup QB and he was not that old when they drafted Kolb so early, 30, so seems odd to draft a QB that early for the future. I think more to hope to have more quality at the backup spot with McNabb's injury history.

Steve Prefontaine
07-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Seriously...Jake Delhomme?

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/adamci1/20a7755de8e6.gif

As a starter or competing to be the starter? I agree.

But I don't mind him as a backup that could aid Tebow in his development. He is also someone fans won't clamor for when Tebow struggles from time to time.

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 10:44 AM

This makes less sense than wiping before you poop.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 10:44 AM
...Odd that your examples run COMPLETELY counterproductive to your main "point", don't you think?

Care to enlighten me on what Bulger, Gradkowski and Volek have done "now" as opposed to "two years ago"?

Let's take Gradkowski. He's Delhomme at age 28 in terms of physical skills, leadership, and ability to win in spot duty. The argument is that compared to Delhomme, these guys are Tom Brady. Delhomme has been putrid, and that's the best argument against him. You have Volek, who's been largely inactive and Bulger who's also been largely inactive to compare to Jake, who's been active and bad. Pick your poison.

SouthStndJunkie
07-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Trading Kyle Orton soon is smart if we are going to roll with Tim Tebow.

Kyle Orton has zero interest in being a backup QB and we don't need someone sulking and pouting while we try and develop Tebow.

Plus paying Orton that kind of money to sit on the bench doesn't make sense.

Get the best offer you can for him and move on.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 10:48 AM
This makes less sense than wiping before you poop.

Do you not prefer to take a look at a guy's recent performance over something they did in 2004? If not, why not? Sometimes you cannot do that if guys haven't played. My point is that Jake's recent performance has been awful. Gradkowski has all that Jake has but 8 years less of hits. When you can't compare apples to apples (one guy playing, another guy not but has experience and has not stunk), and the guy that has played is horrid, it's an easy choice.

SouthStndJunkie
Let's take Gradkowski. He's Delhomme at age 28 in terms of physical skills, leadership, and ability to win in spot duty. The argument is that compared to Delhomme, these guys are Tom Brady. Delhomme has been putrid, and that's the best argument against him. You have Volek, who's been largely inactive and Bulger who's also been largely inactive to compare to Jake, who's been active and bad. Pick your poison.

Bruce Gradkowski is the perfect backup QB.

Capable of sparking the team for few games if called upon....and he knows his role on the team.

TheReverend
Let's take Gradkowski. He's Delhomme at age 28 in terms of physical skills, leadership, and ability to win in spot duty.

Odd. At 28 Delhomme was in a Superbowl. Gradkowski can't even get a starting job.

The argument is that compared to Delhomme, these guys are Tom Brady.

...what?

Delhomme has been putrid, and that's the best argument against him.

Putrid with a lot more playing time says what about them?

You have Volek, who's been largely inactive and Bulger who's also been largely inactive to compare to Jake, who's been active and bad. Pick your poison.

Exactly...

TonyR
The latest on Kolb...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/your-morning-in-kevin-kolb/

RunSilentRunDeep
07-26-2011, 10:49 AM

The point is Fantasy Solution is making it up. It blows me away how many times people point to sites that are obvious BS yet it still generates pages and pages of worthless discussion.

Any idiot can put Jake Delhomme and John Fox together (see Woody Paige). Fantasy Solution, the Bleacher Report, SBNation, etc, never have, and never will be able to break a story or have any real sources outside of their imagination.

jhns
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
It's cool be ill informed and yet call me out on facts.

LOL

"Facts"

What did they offer then? Why didn't we take it?

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 10:50 AM
Or looking for a quality QB behind their starting QB since thought could still contend having other pieces in place. From what I remember, the Packers made it to the NFC Championship game in Favre's last year with Rogers backing him up. McNabb had injury problems, so they obviously needed help at backup QB and he was not that old when they drafted Kolb so early.

And how many times had Favre "retired" by that point?

And Kolb was clearly drafted as a developmental player and not a career back up...

Gcver2ver3
07-26-2011, 10:52 AM
The point is Fantasy Solution is making it up. It blows me away how many times people point to sites that are obvious BS yet it still generates pages and pages of worthless discussion.

Any idiot can put Jake Delhomme and John Fox together (see Woody Paige). Fantasy Solution, the Bleacher Report, SBNation, etc, never have, and never will be able to break a story or have any real sources outside of their imagination.

i see your point...

TheReverend
The latest on Kolb...

Crap. The longer Kolb drags out it could drag the Orton trade out with it.

WolfpackGuy
The latest on Kolb...

I love the one comment:

"...Orton has proven he is a winner."

LOL

The Cards people seem to want him even after their kicker single handedly beat him last year.

footstepsfrom#27
07-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Orton's worth a #2 I think.

Tombstone RJ
07-26-2011, 10:55 AM
The latest on Kolb...

Love that AZ is showing interest in other QBs, even if they really want Kolb, this increases Orton's trade value...

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Odd. At 28 Delhomme was in a Superbowl. Gradkowski can't even get a starting job.

Jake is 36. Forget about what he did at 28, cuz it's no longer relevant. Dude supplanted Rodney Peete, so let's not pretend he was the knight in shining armor. Give any mediocre qb a running game like Jake had, a defense like Jake had, and Steve Smith in his prime and his playing in a Super Bowl, while nice, is not unheard of. In the present, Jake can't get a starting job either, so your point is really silly.

...what?

Translation: Jake is REALLY REALLY bad, physically and with his decision making. He's regressed as the last two years have shown.

Putrid with a lot more playing time says what about them?

It says that Volek was playing behind Rivers--an all pro. He played behind McNair--an all pro. He's 34 but has significantly less wear and tear and is physically better than Jake.

Exactly...

No one said this is an ideal choice but what you do have available to evaluate on film is Jake. He's bad. Really bad. He played in a Super Bowl and that's really nice, but he's not that guy anymore and if he's broken down physically, then that experience won't translate into making plays. There are better options.

Mountain Bronco
07-26-2011, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't mind Delhome as a mentor. The guy went to a super bowl and seems to be a team guy smart QB; who doesn't mind helping the younger guys. Did anyone see that Gruden segment with Delhome and McCoy. It really seemed like they got along and that Delhome was on board with helping McCoy even though it meant he was not going to start any longer. That is the guy I want helping Tebow, not Orton who has no interest in it at all.

Mountain Bronco
07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Oh, and I ain't looking for Jake to make plays on the field, I am looking for him to help Tebow grow and for Tebow to make plays on the field. Our backup doesn't matter on the field, Tebow does as we are hitching all our horses to him for better or worse.

10 pages on whether a mentor is good enough on the field. Gotta love the OM.

barryr
And how many times had Favre "retired" by that point?

And Kolb was clearly drafted as a developmental player and not a career back up...

You still miss the point. Kolb was drafted as a better backup option for when McNabb likely got hurt again and to possibly help the Eagles stay afloat and stay in contention since they usually made the playoffs. Nowhere did I say Kolb would remain a career backup. If in time, McNabb left, Kolb would get a shot at the job. McNabb was 30 years old at the time, so saying they drafted a QB early for the future is incomplete. He was drafted to be a solid option in case McNabb got hurt again.

Who was the backup for the Eagles before Kolb? Who was there to back up Favre before drafting Rogers? Not much and the point is winning type of teams worry more about their backup QB spots and spend more there since have a contending type of team that could still do something even if their top QB goes down. And why since the Broncos are hardly in that position right now, spending a lot of money for their backup QB spot is dumb since if Tebow went down, hard to see Orton leading the team to so many victories when that money he is making did not go to help the defense, so likely the team wouldn't be doing that well even with Tebow, much less without him. I don't see how that point is so hard to follow, but whatever.

TonyR
I love the one comment:

"...Orton has proven he is a winner."

LOL

I just read through the comments. Interesting that they are overwhelmingly anti-Kolb and that there's 3-4 "rather have Orton" type comments. I do agree that Kolb will fail outside Philly and that somebody is going to really overpay and regret it.

Stagger Lee
07-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Orton's worth a #2 I think.

If that gets offered, we should grab it and run.

Long time lurker on the mane, just joined today. You guys make me laugh on a daily basis. Just hope I can be as good as a lot of you guys on here are.

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Jake is 36. Forget about what he did at 28, cuz it's no longer relevant. Dude supplanted Rodney Peete, so let's not pretend he was the knight in shining armor. Give any mediocre qb a running game like Jake had, a defense like Jake had, and Steve Smith in his prime and his playing in a Super Bowl, while nice, is not unheard of. In the present, Jake can't get a starting job either, so your point is really silly.

Um, you made the ridiculous comparison. Not me.

Translation: Jake is REALLY REALLY bad, physically and with his decision making. He's regressed as the last two years have shown.

Have they? Because of a year on a ****ty Cleveland team? How was Carolina without him?

Oh wait, they were the only team in the league worse than Denver?

It says that Volek was playing behind Rivers--an all pro. He played behind McNair--an all pro. He's 34 but has significantly less wear and tear and is physically better than Jake.

And what does he bring to the table in terms of the system, Fox, and playing experience?

...Nothing?

No one said this is an ideal choice but what you do have available to evaluate on film is Jake. He's bad. Really bad. He played in a Super Bowl and that's really nice, but he's not that guy anymore and if he's broken down physically, then that experience won't translate into making plays. There are better options.

Who expects "that guy anymore"? We have a starter. And we'll have a 3rd QB as well.

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
You still miss the point. Kolb was drafted as a better backup option for when McNabb likely got hurt again and to possibly help the Eagles stay afloat and stay in contention since they usually made the playoffs. Nowhere did I say Kolb would remain a career backup. If in time, McNabb left, Kolb would get a shot at the job. McNabb was 30 years old at the time, so saying they drafted a QB early for the future is incomplete. He was drafted to be a solid option in case McNabb got hurt again.

Who was the backup for the Eagles before Kolb? Who was there to back up Favre before drafting Rogers? Not much and the point is winning type of teams worry more about their backup QB spots and spend more there since have a contending type of team that could still do something even if their top QB goes down. And why since the Broncos are hardly in that position right now, spending a lot of money for their backup QB spot is dumb since if Tebow went down, hard to see Orton leading the team to so many victories when that money he is making did not go to help the defense, so likely the team wouldn't be doing that well even with Tebow, much less without him. I don't see how that point is so hard to follow, but whatever.

Read your bold statement and then re-read your initial argument.

Spoiler alert: You're supporting what I'M saying, not your "Good teams are able to focus on back up QBs".

rbackfactory80
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Fox is one loyal SOB. If he brings in Jake it's to a fault. Maybe we can get Steve Smith in too. Delhomme can throw 3000 consecutive balls his way. Lay off drugs people. Elway won't let this happen.

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Do you not prefer to take a look at a guy's recent performance over something they did in 2004? If not, why not? Sometimes you cannot do that if guys haven't played. My point is that Jake's recent performance has been awful. Gradkowski has all that Jake has but 8 years less of hits. When you can't compare apples to apples (one guy playing, another guy not but has experience and has not stunk), and the guy that has played is horrid, it's an easy choice.

None of the guys you listed have accomplished anything in this league, ever; let alone 3 years ago.

Delhomme led a team to the Super bowl, and other playoff runs IN THIS OFFENSE. I would dare say he'd be far more valuable to Tebow's development.

You are right that it's an easy choice between Delhomme and nobodies like Gradkowski and Volek. And how does your recent history argument suggest Bulger?

Seriously.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Oh, and I ain't looking for Jake to make plays on the field, I am looking for him to help Tebow grow and for Tebow to make plays on the field. Our backup doesn't matter on the field, Tebow does as we are hitching all our horses to him for better or worse.

10 pages on whether a mentor is good enough on the field. Gotta love the OM.

A backup qb is not there to quote Gandhi to the starter. He's there to play when the starter cannot. 'Playing' entails having the ability to--wait for it--make plays on the field. This is his primary responsibility, not to impart little nuggets of wisdom.

Mountain Bronco
07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Fox is one loyal SOB. If he brings in Jake it's to a fault. Maybe we can get Steve Smith in too. Delhomme can throw 3000 consecutive balls his way. Lay off drugs people. Elway won't let this happen.

People, it is not like we are bringing him in to be the starter! He isn't going to be throwing 1 pass and if we have to go with a backup we are screwed no matter who it is. Our backups over the years have been Chris Simms and Brady Quinn for crying out loud.

s0phr0syne
07-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Anyone who doesn't understand that Gradkowski is a better back up QB than Delhomme is retarded.

Sadly, the idea that player mentors are more important than coaches seems to be pervasive.

Tombstone RJ
07-26-2011, 11:13 AM

I think Fox needs a QB who knows the offense and can mentor Tebow in the offense. I seriously doubt this is so much about loyalty as it is about being pragmatic. If Delhomme is willing to play the backup/coach/mentor to Tebow and he's willing to work for a reasonable dollar amount, I think Elway pulls the trigger. However, Elway will have the final say and if he sees Delhomme as more of a problem than an asset, I doubt he brings him in.

What the Broncos need is the best QB coach money can buy. Who is the Bronco's QB coach?

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 11:15 AM
None of the guys you listed have accomplished anything in this league, ever; let alone 3 years ago.

Delhomme led a team to the Super bowl, and other playoff runs IN THIS OFFENSE. I would dare say he'd be far more valuable to Tebow's development.

You are right that it's an easy choice between Delhomme and nobodies like Gradkowski and Volek. And how does your recent history argument suggest Bulger?

Seriously.

Dude, this is not 2004. What he did in 2004 is irrelevant, can you not see that? Experience alone is not the reason to bring Jake in if he can't do it anymore. The last two years suggest he can't do it anymore. I don't doubt the guy's a good teammate and mentally acute in this setting, but the first job of a backup is to minimize the gap between the starter and himself on the field. If you think Jake can do this, fine. I look at the last two years and think he's done physically and is a turnover machine.

Beantown Bronco
07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Trading Kyle Orton soon is smart if we are going to roll with Tim Tebow.

Kyle Orton has zero interest in being a backup QB and we don't need someone sulking and pouting while we try and develop Tebow.

Plus paying Orton that kind of money to sit on the bench doesn't make sense.

Get the best offer you can for him and move on.

There is one main argument for waiting, and it's an important one IMO:

Injuries.

Guys inevitably go down in the preseason. There's always at least one starting QB included in that list. That could make a guy like Orton more valuable in a trade by giving us just that much more leverage.

A second argument would relate to compensation. If all we're looking for is a future draft pick, then there's no need to rush a trade. It's not like that pick is going to help us any time soon.

Obviously there are plenty of arguments in favor of moving him yesterday (clearing room under the cap, giving all first team reps to Tebow, avoiding the QB controversy, etc. - I'm just providing the other side here that some may not be thinking about. There ARE arguments to be made for waiting.)

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 11:20 AM
There is one main argument for waiting, and it's an important one IMO:

Injuries.

Guys inevitably go down in the preseason. There's always at least one starting QB included in that list. That could make a guy like Orton more valuable in a trade by giving us just that much more leverage.

A second argument would relate to compensation. If all we're looking for is a future draft pick, then there's no need to rush a trade. It's not like that pick is going to help us any time soon.

Obviously there are plenty of arguments in favor of moving him yesterday (clearing room under the cap, giving all first team reps to Tebow, avoiding the QB controversy, etc. - I'm just providing the other side here that some may not be thinking about. There ARE arguments to be made for waiting.)

And possibly using the Kolb trade to increase his value.

bronco militia
07-26-2011, 11:21 AM
if Orton refuses to renegotiate his contract, I don't think there's anyway he's on the roster in 2011.

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Dude, this is not 2004. What he did in 2004 is irrelevant, can you not see that? Experience alone is not the reason to bring Jake in if he can't do it anymore. The last two years suggest he can't do it anymore. I don't doubt the guy's a good teammate and mentally acute in this setting, but the first job of a backup is to minimize the gap between the starter and himself on the field. If you think Jake can do this, fine. I look at the last two years and think he's done physically and is a turnover machine.

I look at the entire careers of the guys you mentioned and think they're done physically and are turnover machines.

^5

~Crash~
07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
1. The offseason just started. We do have the ability to sign new guys.

2. Orton just led a 3-10 season. Why would it matter what Quinn can do? We aren't getting better from Orton.

Are you that silly... ummm Elway had some bad seasons yep we csould of shipped him way back then...lolHa!

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Posting this for it's potential impact:

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times reports that the Seahawks are interested in keeping Hasselbeck, but several teams will be in competition for his services. Those include Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee and Miami.
Michael Lombardi of NFL Network reports that the Titans are prepared to make a huge contract offer to Hasselbeck.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/several-suitors-for-matt-hasselbecks-services/

Drunk Monkey
07-26-2011, 11:51 AM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/487258945/1256054_normal.jpg
KingNeckbeard (http://twitter.com/#!/KingNeckbeard)Kyle Orton

Andrew Luck's neckbeard is strong but lacks the necessary traces of whiskey, vag juice and week old vomit. Bush league

boppool
07-26-2011, 12:02 PM

Seriously.

Why would Fox want Delhomme? He already has him in Brady Quinn.

errand
07-26-2011, 12:04 PM
That wont matter when we trade Orton for Marshall.

I can't wait for Orton to be gone. The guy is a terrible QB.

....he might not be Peyton Manning, but he isn't "terrible". I agree we don't want a QB controversy this year, but what if Tebow gets hurt or God forbid flops? Even you'd rather have Orton than Quinn i suspect....then again you don't seem too bright, so who knows?

NUB
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
I have always liked Delhomme, but I think there are far better backups. He's just over the hill and the Cardinals disaster appears to have wrecked him mentally. I honestly don't think Delhomme is any better than Quinn at this point in time.

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I have always liked Delhomme, but I think there are far better backups. He's just over the hill and the Cardinals disaster appears to have wrecked him mentally. I honestly don't think Delhomme is any better than Quinn at this point in time.

Steve Sewell
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Can Elway come back as a player/exec and back up Tebow?!?!?

I know he has a replaced knee but it's worth a shot.

Smiling Assassin27
07-26-2011, 12:23 PM

Well, the guy did have Tommy John surgery on his throwing elbow, so he's got that going for him...which is nice.

jhns
07-26-2011, 12:37 PM
....he might not be Peyton Manning, but he isn't "terrible". I agree we don't want a QB controversy this year, but what if Tebow gets hurt or God forbid flops? Even you'd rather have Orton than Quinn i suspect....then again you don't seem too bright, so who knows?

If Tebow fails, we will be in the same position we are in now, looking for the QB of the future.

I could live with a backup not winnkng much if the starter goes down. That will happen on any team and wouldn't be different with Orton. The guy just led the franchises worst ever season. The QB that you all claim is horrible, won 8 games with pretty much the exact same problems around him. In other words, why would it matter if we failed with Orton instead of Quinn? Failing is failing. Then again, you supported McDaniels, which proves you don't even know the basics of this sport.

snowspot66
07-26-2011, 12:39 PM
If Tebow fails, we will be in the same position we are in now, looking for the QB of the future.

I could live with a backup not winnkng much if the starter goes down. That will happen on any team and wouldn't be different with Orton. The guy just led the franchises worst ever season. The QB that you all claim is horrible, won 8 games with pretty much the exact same problems around him. In other words, why would it matter if we failed with Orton instead of Quinn? Failing is failing. Then again, you supported McDaniels, which proves you don't even know the basics of this sport.

If we fail with Orton it means we got nothing of value from him and let him walk as a free agent.

Shananahan
07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
You're accusing somebody else of not being too bright while continuing to make an argument for Orton remaining on the team.

cmhargrove
07-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Posting this for it's potential impact:

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times reports that the Seahawks are interested in keeping Hasselbeck, but several teams will be in competition for his services. Those include Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee and Miami.
Michael Lombardi of NFL Network reports that the Titans are prepared to make a huge contract offer to Hasselbeck.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/several-suitors-for-matt-hasselbecks-services/

This would be awesome! If Hasselbeck commands a huge contract from a team like Tennessee, it will bump up Orton's value and make his 9 million dollar salary seem like a bargain.

Do it Titans!

Gort
07-26-2011, 12:48 PM

we aren't undervaluing Orton... it's just that Orton is not a good fit on this team right now. the Broncos are rebuilding and they have a guy who could re-define the QB position who is being blocked from getting snaps by Orton right now. it wouldn't surprise me to see Orton go to MIN and end up leading them back to the playoffs. on a well-rounded team needing a veteran game manager, he could be a decent fit. that's not the Broncos though.

there was never any chance that both Orton and Tebow would be on the team this season. too much chance of locker room problems in that scenario. Quinn is so cheap, he's been a virtual lock to make the team as back-up. so what do you do? keep Orton (whose game is pretty 1-dimensional) and trade Tebow? or trade Orton and keep Tebow? the answer is pretty obvious... and that's why Orton went up on the trading block as soon as it was possible.

i have no ill will. i hope he finds a team where he fits and does well. but as Broncos fan, i want our best QB on the field and that's Tebow. the guy is a winner and i think in a few years, nobody will remember Plummer, Cutler, or Orton.

Beantown Bronco
07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
If we fail with Orton it means we got nothing of value from him and let him walk as a free agent.

Not necessarily. 1 more year of service + the supplemental pick we could get for him after losing him to FA could be greater than whatever some other team offers in return.

Granted the odds are better that a trade now would benefit us more than keeping him. It's simply not accurate to say we'd get nothing of value if he walked at the end of the year.

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Schefter was just on ESPN saying the deal hasn't been completed yet because the Broncos asking price is high.

Hopefully somebody bites and we get more than we deserve!

BroncoInferno
07-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Schefter was just on ESPN saying the deal hasn't been completed yet because the Broncos asking price is high.

Did he mention what other teams are offering?

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Did he mention what other teams are offering?

No, but he implied (key word) that Denver is currently asking for a 1st or 2nd.

gunns
07-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Cardinals | Kyle Orton on the radar?
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:13:01 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals are expected to engage in trade talks with the Denver Broncos about the services of Broncos QB Kyle Orton, who is in the final year of his contract. The Broncos are willing to deal Orton, and are spending time assessing the trade market for him. They are likely to deal him for less than a third-round draft choice with the possibility of incentives based around his performance or a new team signing him to an extension.

Dolphins | May be interested in Kyle Orton
Tue, 26 Jul 2011 12:59:50 -0700

The Miami Dolphins are expected to engage in trade talks with the Denver Broncos about the services of Broncos QB Kyle Orton, who is in the final year of his contract. The Broncos are willing to deal Orton, and are spending time assessing the trade market for him. They are likely to deal him for less than a third-round draft choice with the possibility of incentives based around his performance or a new team signing him to an extension.

Less than a 3rd rounder with incentives.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-26-2011, 02:09 PM
@ChrisVernonShow

talking about QB's w/ @BillRomanowski on show. ME: What about Kyle Orton? ROMO: "He's a puss."

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 02:11 PM
@ChrisVernonShow

talking about QB's w/ @BillRomanowski on show. ME: What about Kyle Orton? ROMO: "He's a puss."

Sounds about right

bronco militia
07-26-2011, 02:13 PM
@ChrisVernonShow

pow pow! Ha!

awesome

Gcver2ver3
07-26-2011, 02:14 PM

i'm actually glad to hear that....

oubronco
07-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Meanwhile, our very own Garrett Barnes speculates that quarterback Kyle Orton's trade value is rising due to high demand. Kent Somers of AZCentral.com is reporting that the Arizona Cardinals and Broncos have had talks discussing a trade. It appears that the Orton Sweepstakes have come down to being between the Cardinals and Miami Dolphins.

Up to seven teams (the Dolphins, Vikings, Titans, Cardinals, Redskins, Bengals and Seahawks) may pursue Orton, so there's certainly no doubt that Denver will be able to find a trading partner. Denver would like to deal Orton soon and free up $8.4 million in cap space, a deal may take a few days to work out however.

http://buzztap.com/-2Ur5kB Broncos Transactions Update (3:20 PM MT)

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 03:00 PM
ESPN.com had a vote of "What QB would you want" with the options:

Hasselbeck
Kolb
McNabb
Orton

Orton came in last by a large margin, lol

HooptyHoops
07-26-2011, 03:03 PM

Hasselbeck
Kolb
McNabb
Orton

Cracks me up!

Agamemnon
07-26-2011, 03:06 PM
No, but he implied (key word) that Denver is currently asking for a 1st or 2nd.

God I hope that's not true. You don't ask for a 100k for a Ford Escort...

Agamemnon
07-26-2011, 03:09 PM

Hasselbeck
Kolb
McNabb
Orton

No big shock. Orton is an incredibly boring, uninspiring player. People don't want him as their QB even if he is almost certainly better than the other guys listed there.

bronclvr
07-26-2011, 03:10 PM
The question is whether Miami is comfortable giving up a mid-round pick for Orton when someone like Vince Young (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3602) may not cost any draft pick compensation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/dolphins-interested-in-acquiring-kyle-orton/related

SonOfLe-loLang
07-26-2011, 03:11 PM
No big shock. Orton is an incredibly boring, uninspiring player. People don't want him as their QB even if he is almost certainly better than the other guys listed there.

the perception of Orton is really strange. I have no doubt it was born out of that first year in Chicago when he was thrust into a ****ty situation, completely unprepped

Agamemnon
07-26-2011, 03:12 PM
The question is whether Miami is comfortable giving up a mid-round pick for Orton when someone like Vince Young (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3602) may not cost any draft pick compensation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/dolphins-interested-in-acquiring-kyle-orton/related

But Kyle Orton can actually pass... :kiddingme

Punisher
07-26-2011, 03:14 PM
Orton must be happy hes leaving one of the worst teams in the league

Agamemnon
07-26-2011, 03:14 PM
the perception of Orton is really strange. I have no doubt it was born out of that first year in Chicago when he was thrust into a ****ty situation, completely unprepped

No it's not. Even when he has good stats he remains boring and uninspiring. People have an emotional reaction to that that keeps them from seeing that the guy is still better than all the other available QBs (who completely suck for the most part).

bendog
07-26-2011, 03:16 PM
Delhomme had a decent comeback in 08, but played awful in 09. He was hurt last year with an ankle sprain, but the brownies did go 2-3 in the games he played in, albiet not very well. I think he's got a bum elbow, but that's just a guess. Thing is, would you rather have him or Brady Quinn as the only active guy for a week is Tebow had to even come out for a couple of plays after taking a shot? I think the guy's washed up, but honestly I wish the Saints had kept him rather than ..... cough .... aaron brooks.

Broncoman13
07-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Way high! Asking for a first!

TheReverend
07-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Me when the trade gets finished:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYhL6TSgUvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

StugotsIII
07-26-2011, 03:30 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mYhL6TSgUvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why was that banned?

Agamemnon
07-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Wow, they actually thought that had any shot of getting on TV?