PDA

View Full Version : The NFL's new "#3 QB is ACTIVE" rule

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Anyone else think this new rule, with the #3 QB now being an active player, will have a HUGE effect on team rosters, in upcoming years?!?
I mean, now every team can afford to keep a running/situational QB, or a multi positional player on their team. Plug the guy in when you need him and go!

That One Guy
07-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Anyone else think this new rule, with the #3 QB now being an active player, will have a HUGE effect on team rosters, in upcoming years?!?
I mean, now every team can afford to keep a running/situational QB, or a multi positional player on their team. Plug the guy in when you need him and go!

Well, keep in mind, it's not necessarily a "3rd QB is active" rule. They just converted that spot from a situationally dependent spot to an active spot. Does anyone really think they'll take that position and make the guy an active player unless he's a wildcat threat? If not, they'll gamble that if you have to send in your 3rd QB, you've already lost the game and use the spot elsewhere. I don't like it.

Agamemnon
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I expect a lot teams to use that extra slot for positions other than QB.

broncocalijohn
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Alright! Bradley Van Pelt has a job coming his way!

ColoradoDarin
07-26-2011, 06:03 AM
I think it adds just a small wrinkle.

Those teams that want to run a wildcat can now use the 3rd QB slot for it and not their backup (like the Broncos did with Tebow last year). Teams that don't run a wildcat, don't have to carry 3 QBs (or they can carry 3 and not have to have one active on Sundays) and use that extra roster slot for a special teams player, or a backup punter should the Broncos want to bring in someone to compete with Colquitt.

Jay3
07-26-2011, 06:24 AM
I think it will be used for positions other than QB. It's actually quite difficult to field a team under 45, and the number of times two quarterbacks get knocked out by injury is statistically remote.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-26-2011, 08:07 AM
Opens up a significant role for athletic types. A role player like Brad Smith comes to mind.

Tombstone RJ
07-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Anyone else think this new rule, with the #3 QB now being an active player, will have a HUGE effect on team rosters, in upcoming years?!? I mean, now every team can afford to keep a running/situational QB, or a multi positional player on their team. Plug the guy in when you need him and go!

My understanding is that the active game day roster goes from 42 (I'm I right, it was 42?) to 46 so there are more guys dressing for each game. Do teams have to have a #3 QB on the 46 man roster? I'm not so sure they do...

That One Guy
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
My understanding is that the active game day roster goes from 42 (I'm I right, it was 42?) to 46 so there are more guys dressing for each game. Do teams have to have a #3 QB on the 46 man roster? I'm not so sure they do...

Pretty sure it went from 45 to 46. They just made the #3 QB slot permanently active but it does not have to be a #3 QB. Just another slot.

ward63
07-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Where is Rod Smith when you need him to be the emergency qb and use the extra spot on another position