PDA

View Full Version : Players Dropped the Ball Big Time.

rugbythug
07-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Players Dropped the Ball Big Time.

The owners gave them every opportunity to Ratify a Deal. Instead they made excuses and stupid power plays. By waiting and letting the owners ratify a deal first the owners are now the good guys trying to save football. Even if the deal they ratified is slanted fans don't care-a bad deal is still a deal. And really the money is settled now we are just picking nits. Pick up the pieces and get it done tonight.

Inkana7
07-21-2011, 06:41 PM
They couldn't ratify a deal yesterday because the owners didn't send the full paperwork until late in the afternoon. You talk about power plays? This is a power play by the owners.

Man-Goblin
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
It was pretty silly not to ratify with their own conditions last night. Now their ****ed.

rugbythug
07-21-2011, 06:44 PM
They couldn't ratify a deal yesterday because the owners didn't send the full paperwork until late in the afternoon. You talk about power plays? This is a power play by the owners.

Bull- It is a cooperative agreement they are both writing it together.

Face it they mistimed their leap. They wanted to counter and not submit, by waiting to long they cant counter but rather reject and lose public opinion. If they made the owners reject they would have been better off. Passing something noon today would have been best.

DivineBronco
07-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I guess the nice thing now is the court of public opinion swings firmly away from the players
and the public ire can be much more focused

Inkana7
07-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Bull- It is a cooperative agreement they are both writing it together.

Heh. The agreement that the Voters just voted for was their agreement, with changes made by them without knowledge of the players. That's why the players are pissed.

rugbythug
07-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Heh. The agreement that the Voters just voted for was their agreement, with changes made by them without knowledge of the players. That's why the players are pissed.

The changes are on things they have not gotten agreement on. Pretty much how this works. However as an owner better to work off of your draft than the other way around.

OBF1
07-21-2011, 06:48 PM
Players have been ass clowns since they decertified... The sense of entitlement is beyond my comprehension.

I might have turned off my listening switch, but why in the world has DeMaurice Smith been involved with the talks/negotiation a second after decertification happened... If there is no union, why is the same union leader involved in anything???

schaaf
07-21-2011, 06:49 PM
**** you NFLPA

tnedator
07-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Players have been ass clowns since they decertified... The sense of entitlement is beyond my comprehension.

I might have turned off my listening switch, but why in the world has DeMaurice Smith been involved with the talks/negotiation a second after decertification happened... If there is no union, why is the same union leader involved in anything???

Because decertification was a sham and negotiating ploy.

wolf754life
07-21-2011, 07:02 PM
Owners 1, players 0, and everyday this goes on the owners will gain another point, the players will lose another.

players need to know that the fans will lose interest shortly..............vincent jackson? logan mankins? the owners dropped the restricted and transition tags.......... the franchise tag is still in play, why? so we don't get carmelo'ed and lebron'ed like the nba making franchises irrelevant.

the players need to sack up and take this deal, the longer they wait the less they will get.

TheReverend
07-21-2011, 07:03 PM
DeMaurice is the biggest bag of **** this side of France.

DivineBronco
07-21-2011, 07:05 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/21/de-smith-shouldnt-be-surprised-about-new-revenue-sharing-arrangement/

yuck

TheReverend
07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/21/de-smith-shouldnt-be-surprised-about-new-revenue-sharing-arrangement/

yuck

See prior post:

DeMaurice is the biggest bag of **** this side of France.

Mediator12
07-21-2011, 07:16 PM
This is why the Whole Decertification and Players reps idea of "negotiating" falls short. You sent colonels to make Generals decisions. Now, the rank and file is surprised about what was ACTUALLY negotiated. Even the smartest players are getting taken by Smith and the whole NFLPA lawyer contingent.

Stupid, stupid players ;D

WolfpackGuy
07-21-2011, 07:16 PM
So they've gone from a lockout to a strike?

Pitiful!

BroncoLifer
07-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Because decertification was a sham and negotiating ploy.

And (rightly) recognized as such by the 8th Circuit in their decision back on July 5th.

tsiguy96
07-21-2011, 07:49 PM

you should read what some of them are saying.

vonnie holliday:
@therealholliday: The truth of the matter is we got tricked, duped, led astray, hoodwinked, bamboozled!

yea, i HATE getting offered a minimum of several hundred thousand dollars to play a game part time. hate it.

StugotsIII
07-21-2011, 07:55 PM

I'm sorry, but did the players need to be to bed by a certain time?

They could have put the work in...

StugotsIII
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM

vonnie holliday:
@therealholliday: The truth of the matter is we got tricked, duped, led astray, hoodwinked, bamboozled!

yea, i HATE getting offered a minimum of several hundred thousand dollars to play a game part time. hate it.

Who is Vonnie Holliday....Malcom X?

StugotsIII
07-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Owners just put the players into a bad spot...

If the players get their panties in a twist and drag this out further....they will lose the fan support and this could get ugly.

long beach bronco
07-21-2011, 08:04 PM
De Smith needs to fired, plain and simple. This makes no sense. He was shaking hands this morning saying that he hopes that the owners ratify and we can get on with football. What a freakin bum.

StugotsIII
07-21-2011, 08:05 PM
It's unreal to me to think that they couldn't have this put to bed months ago...

long beach bronco
07-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Everyone knew the owners were voting today, we did, how come the De Smith and the players are shocked. What a bunch of idiots. Don't they all know the terms of the deal? They were all waiting for this.

Dedhed
07-21-2011, 08:14 PM
If the players get their panties in a twist and drag this out further....they will lose the fan support and this could get ugly.

Too late.

Mediator12
07-21-2011, 08:15 PM
The gist of this is simply, can the players strattle the fence of being a union or not being a union. They are getting played, because they played this tactic. The owners ratified an agreement first. And Now, the players got caught with their pants down being decertified and not voting to recertify and take their chances with the non-revenue issues of a CBA that only a Union can actively negotiate. Their tactic has backfired and now they are crying foul to stall once again.

RMT
07-21-2011, 08:15 PM
In fairness to the players - it's far easier for 32 teams to make an informed decision as opposed to nearly 2000 players doing so in the same amount of time.

bronco0608
07-21-2011, 08:16 PM
eh, what are fans going to do if the players delay this deal for another week? Egg their house? Boo them?

Come on. Nobody is going to care or remember what happens the next few days.

No biggie.

DivineBronco
07-21-2011, 08:17 PM
In fairness to the players - it's far easier for 32 teams to make an informed decision as opposed to nearly 2000 players doing so in the same amount of time.

of course if that was actually the problem a day or two would be fine to give the players who are not in the trenches look things over. But that doesn't seem to be what they are saying it is this made up ghost union crap

rugbythug
07-21-2011, 08:18 PM
eh, what are fans going to do if the players delay this deal for another week? Egg their house? Boo them?

No biggie.

Cosigned baseball and hockey. I dare them to make me choose. I may never come back.

Dedhed
07-21-2011, 08:21 PM

You realize that was their decision, right?

Dedhed
07-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Cosigned baseball and hockey.

Yup, it's dimwitted to think that fans don't have a say.

bronco0608
07-21-2011, 08:24 PM
Cosigned baseball and hockey. I dare them to make me choose. I may never come back.

You would seriously leave the sport over a strike that lasted through training camp?

If they lost four regular season games, I understand. But training camp?

Garcia Bronco
07-21-2011, 08:25 PM

Well...to do that they'd need to be a Union. LOL

rugbythug
07-21-2011, 08:33 PM
You would seriously leave the sport over a strike that lasted through training camp?

If they lost four regular season games, I understand. But training camp?

I follow football 365 iv lost a whole offseason.

KipCorrington25
07-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Replacement players! If so, 90% of these guys would fold up like a pup tent and be in camp tomorrow.

tsiguy96
07-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Replacement players! If so, 90% of these guys would fold up like a pup tent and be in camp tomorrow.

i was thinking about this earlier. if NFL just walked away from the table after making a good offer and basically giving the players everything they wanted, i wonder how long it would take for players to come back.

RhymesayersDU
07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
As always, the tough talk amuses me.

Bash the players all you want, you'll be right back in front of the TV when the games start, period.

gunns
07-21-2011, 09:00 PM
We've been hearing about the players and the owners voting at some point this week for several days now. I keep hearing players saying the main reason they didn't vote tonight is because they didn't see the proposal until about an hour before they were to vote. Now really, if we knew they were suppose to vote, why didn't they ask to see what they were going to vote on several days ago. This smacks right back to Smith. WTF did he think a vote in a few days was going to be on? Where the hell has he been in this whole process for the past several days?

Hercules Rockefeller
07-21-2011, 09:03 PM

vonnie holliday:

Seriously:

1. How many people do you actually follow on Twitter?

2. Are you actually able to function during the day, or are you consumed by the continuous updates from everyone you follow?

RhymesayersDU
07-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Seriously:

2. Are you actually able to function during the day, or are you consumed by the continuous updates from everyone you follow?

FWIW, that quote was retweeted by Lindsay Jones from the Post. I'd imagine most Broncos fans with Twitter at least follow her.

tsiguy96
07-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Seriously:

seriously,
i follow relevant people, someone else retweeted that.

you are wasting your time online just as much as i am, are you able to function during the day? if it bothers you that much that i post this stuff, dont respond, its pretty simple.

HAT
07-21-2011, 09:14 PM

No biggie.

Exactly....WTF cares? It's gonna be business as usual on 9/8......A Thursday night paaaarty!

Archer81
07-21-2011, 09:15 PM
We've been hearing about the players and the owners voting at some point this week for several days now. I keep hearing players saying the main reason they didn't vote tonight is because they didn't see the proposal until about an hour before they were to vote. Now really, if we knew they were suppose to vote, why didn't they ask to see what they were going to vote on several days ago. This smacks right back to Smith. WTF did he think a vote in a few days was going to be on? Where the hell has he been in this whole process for the past several days?

Probably thinking no matter what the owners vote on, delaying the process will mean more $ for the players he kind of represents. If the man keeps his job in the future then the players are dumber than I already thought some of them were.

:Broncos:

tsiguy96
07-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Exactly....WTF cares? It's gonna be business as usual on 9/8......A Thursday night paaaarty!

i dunno, this has such a potential to snowball into something crazy. if a single real preseason game is lost, the offer is reduced to players and they will be less likely to except it.

Dedhed
07-21-2011, 09:22 PM
i dunno, this has such a potential to snowball into something crazy. if a single real preseason game is lost, the offer is reduced to players and they will be less likely to except it.

I, for one, would hate to see them except this deal. We won't have any football unless they accept a deal.

HAT
07-21-2011, 09:24 PM
I, for one, would hate to see them except this deal. We won't have any football unless they accept a deal.

Quit being the acception to the rule.....

Accept if you really want to be.

tsiguy96
07-21-2011, 09:28 PM

:notworthy

Dedhed
07-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Quit being the acception to the rule.....
Accept if you really want to be.

I except your criticism and will move forward. Unless you take further acception, of course.

Dedhed
07-21-2011, 09:30 PM
:notworthy

Sorry, had to be done.

RhymesayersDU
07-21-2011, 09:31 PM
I love the grammatical turn this thread took.

OBF1
07-21-2011, 09:31 PM

No biggie.

This fan is spending his entertainment/vacation dollars elsewhere this year. No football for me. Because you can not make a stand does not mean everyone is the same.

OBF1
07-21-2011, 09:35 PM
As always, the tough talk amuses me.

Bash the players all you want, you'll be right back in front of the TV when the games start, period.

Have not watched a single hockey game since their strike and only attended baseball games 3 times... all to see Barry Bonds play in LA since their strike in the 90's. Again, you talking for everyone is pure BS. Speak for yourself and not for me.

HAT
07-21-2011, 09:36 PM
This fan is spending his entertainment/vacation dollars elsewhere this year. No football for me. Because you can not make a stand does not mean everyone is the same.

I call BS.

peacepipe
07-21-2011, 09:38 PM
**** fan support!

RhymesayersDU
07-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Have not watched a single hockey game since their strike and only attended baseball games 3 times... all to see Barry Bonds play in LA since their strike in the 90's. Again, you talking for everyone is pure BS. Speak for yourself and not for me.

We'll see in a couple weeks, won't we? Are you saying you're 100% done with football?

TheReverend
07-21-2011, 09:41 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/764022/x2011-July-21-20-13-57.jpg.pagespeed.ic.oFRwmwq_6k.jpg

Ray Finkle
07-21-2011, 09:42 PM
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/764022/x2011-July-21-20-13-57.jpg.pagespeed.ic.oFRwmwq_6k.jpg

BWAAAA!

looks like he is taking a steaming poo right there

TheReverend
07-21-2011, 09:43 PM
BWAAAA!

looks like he is taking a steaming poo right there

Oh he did

:(

gunns
07-21-2011, 09:46 PM
I re-listen to the 3 players who said they hadn't even seen the agreement and all say the owners tried to slip some **** into the agreement they hadn't agreed on or even seen proposed. Uh, if you haven't seen the agreement how do you know that? And then when asked what exactly the problem with the agreement is they revert to saying they haven't even seen it yet. Sounds to me like Smith is feeding them some major BS. Is he a lawyer?

mkporter
07-21-2011, 09:47 PM

Why? Because you've missed exactly no football this year so far? Because your super bowl is May OTAs? The end result is what matters, and if the end result is a full season of football, and 10 more years of labor peace (which is where we are headed) then what exactly is the big deal?

Dedhed
07-21-2011, 09:47 PM
We'll see in a couple weeks, won't we? Are you saying you're 100% done with football?

Can you read?

RhymesayersDU
07-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Can you read?

Can't I?

Broncoman13
07-21-2011, 09:51 PM

Big time! And then thing to throw down BS dates that can't be met. Players hadnt even seen the deal and they were expected to vote. The whole thing was a power play by the owners. In fact, I wonder if fans support won't start to favor the owners now.

Weak sauce from the owners here... Probably destroyed all the good they had accomplished this far.

tsiguy96
07-21-2011, 09:54 PM
I re-listen to the 3 players who said they hadn't even seen the agreement and all say the owners tried to slip some **** into the agreement they hadn't agreed on or even seen proposed. Uh, if you haven't seen the agreement how do you know that? And then when asked what exactly the problem with the agreement is they revert to saying they haven't even seen it yet. Sounds to me like Smith is feeding them some major BS. Is he a lawyer?

yep...

its pretty crazy, its hard enough to support guys who make that level of money who say they dont make enough, but when most of them dont have a clue whats going on but spout off like they do, it makes it worse.

gunns
07-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Big time! And then thing to throw down BS dates that can't be met. Players hadnt even seen the deal and they were expected to vote. The whole thing was a power play by the owners. In fact, I wonder if fans support won't start to favor the owners now.

Weak sauce from the owners here... Probably destroyed all the good they had accomplished this far.

Then how come we knew they were going to vote yesterday or today about 5 days ago? I'm sure they did too, wouldn't you want to know what you were expected to vote for before the day of the vote? And how come we keep hearing that the owners slipped some crap into the agreement, YET the players haven't seen it? Who knows, maybe the owners are pulling a fast one, making a power play, but the players are sounding like a bunch of idiots.

Mediator12
07-21-2011, 09:59 PM

The players had not seen the deal, because their own leadership did not share it with them! The deal was already negotiated, there is NOTHING new that was negotiated in the owners proposal. It's just the players are slow on the uptake and they have to recertify to vote on it. Its their own DAMN fault for decertifying and not being kept informed on the status of the negotiations.

What the owners did was reverse the leverage the players did when they decertified. The players got blindsided by their own tactic and the NFLPA's lack of trust in the players leaking the information. The owners did not have that problem when they voted today. The players are playing catchup, because they lost the initiative :rofl: Serves them right. Live by the sword, die by the sword ;D

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
07-21-2011, 09:59 PM

I wouldn't trust that guy with my candy bar, let alone billions of dollars.

Tim
07-21-2011, 10:01 PM
who even cares about the cba just start free agency and training camp or lets wait till next year and watch college.e

Dedhed
07-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Can't I?
Apparently you can move your eyes across text, its the comprehension part you seem to struggle with.

RhymesayersDU
07-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Apparently you can move your eyes across text, its the comprehension part you seem to struggle with.

Explain!

bronco0608
07-21-2011, 10:19 PM
http://mikeresponts.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/old_hippie_very_old_hippies_1.jpg?w=450

Garcia Bronco
07-21-2011, 10:20 PM
yeah ladies and gents...this is the negotiated deal. The owners just approved it. Now let's she what the players do.

cmhargrove
07-21-2011, 10:21 PM

If I'm not mistaken, it just takes a simple majority of the players to recertify, then the can get things done.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-22-2011, 09:03 AM
seriously,
i follow relevant people, someone else retweeted that.

you are wasting your time online just as much as i am, are you able to function during the day? if it bothers you that much that i post this stuff, dont respond, its pretty simple.

Relevant people? So how many people is that You've started threads based on tweets that no one here has never heard of claiming they've been right for weeks or following something closely the entire time.

Not even close.

TheReverend
07-22-2011, 09:15 AM
The players had not seen the deal, because their own leadership did not share it with them! The deal was already negotiated, there is NOTHING new that was negotiated in the owners proposal. It's just the players are slow on the uptake and they have to recertify to vote on it. Its their own DAMN fault for decertifying and not being kept informed on the status of the negotiations.

What the owners did was reverse the leverage the players did when they decertified. The players got blindsided by their own tactic and the NFLPA's lack of trust in the players leaking the information. The owners did not have that problem when they voted today. The players are playing catchup, because they lost the initiative :rofl: Serves them right. Live by the sword, die by the sword ;D

This x 100

DivineBronco
07-22-2011, 02:34 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/22/nflpa-to-playerswe-will-meet-again-on-monday-to-discuss-our-options/#comments

anyone here still pro player??????
if so I can't wait to hear why

pricejj
07-22-2011, 03:00 PM
If the players don't ratify the deal by next Tuesday, they are freaking morons. I love how they just thought they were going to negotiate with the owners forever, taking more and more of the OWNERS $$.

No deal by next Tuesday, and the owners will start to take $$ and benefits off the table.

I have never seen such a sweet deal in my life.

TheReverend
07-22-2011, 03:04 PM
If the players don't ratify the deal by next Tuesday, they are freaking morons. I love how they just thought they were going to negotiate with the owners forever, taking more and more of the OWNERS $$.

No deal by next Tuesday, and the owners will start to take $$ and benefits off the table.

I have never seen such a sweet deal in my life.

The problem is that, almost to a man, they are morons.

I mean... ****ty to stereotype, but let's be serious: Can you imagine a group of dumber human beings than Pro Football players, in any sincerity?

The Janitors' union, maybe?

pricejj
07-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Hilarious!

:strong:

Beantown Bronco
07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Can you imagine a group of dumber human beings than Pro Football players, in any sincerity?

The Janitors' union, maybe?

Basketball players.

OABB
07-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Neocons.

Requiem
07-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Poor players. How things are so much different when you go from playing quarters at frat houses and three years later, becoming professionals with loads of cash. What did you learn along the way?

Rock Chalk
07-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Basketball players.

Ding.Ding.Ding!

****ing idiots.

kupesdad
07-22-2011, 04:17 PM

You have it exactly right... typical bait and switch

zdoor
07-22-2011, 05:20 PM

I have been relatively moderate in the labor situation but I am not sure how players can claim bait and switch and in the next sentence say they haven't read the proposal... Really?? I also am surprised that players reacted so strongly to the owners passing the proposal when pretty much everyone with any media access knew they were going to pass it yesterday. Every player interview I heard on NFL radio today failed to address what it was they thought the owners switched in the proposal. Many of the hosts tried to ask repeatedly and NONE of the player reps gave one issue.

One host brought up they thought there was language in the proposal regarding drug testing and discipline issues that was thee source of the problem but shortly there after a legal analyst came on and said those could not be settled until after the union reconstituted itself...

Archer81
07-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Neocons.

Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Cynthia McKinney and Barbara Boxer say hello.

OABB
07-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Cynthia McKinney and Barbara Boxer say hello.

Neolibs as well.

That One Guy
07-22-2011, 08:37 PM

You'd take that side? No way, say it aint so!

When the players figure out what's going on, I'll start to give them the benefit of the doubt. Some players are asking for personal benefits, others are asking why they should even become a union again, others are talking out of their ass about topics they don't even both to read into (The player Rich Eisen grilled the other day, for example). You've got a group of guys that are generally not smart enough to do anything beyond sleeping around with skanks and making babies and suddenly they're all going to become legal analysts and try to play any leverage they might have against the league?

For right now, they're all so concerned with "fighting the man" they don't even realize they're stupidly stepping on their own ***** in the process. Maybe the owners sent a proposal that had some things in it that hadn't been totally negotiated but have the players agreed on a proposal yet? Again, while these negotiations with the *union* have been occurring, there's players fighting against unionizing. They're on so many different pages they don't have a prayer in actually getting anything done unless the rank and file STFU and get out of their own way.

Thank god they can play football because we already have enough drug dealers and pool cleaners in the world. For most of them, that's as far as their whits could take them.

DenverBound
07-22-2011, 08:51 PM

No offense but I think your a little too close to the situation to make an objective point.

Guy has a lot of good points here. The players are ****ting the bed with this one. They all look like idiots.

That One Guy
07-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Just read an article on PFT that made a good point: Nobody player-wise actually loses any real money with lost pre-season games. The revenue from this year would be slightly less and factor into a slightly lower salary cap next year but current players' salaries are set so all they get by not getting the deal done is less time spent in training camps. The 10% leeway that each team has below the salary cap would pretty much compensate for the entire difference in wages so it would make no real impact. If the salary cap would've been $120M but is instead $112M... that'd mean, hypothetically, the teams would've had to have spent between $108M and $120M before but would now have to spend between $101M and $112M. Very little difference in the grand scheme of things especially if they get the owners to concede the $320M they're pushing for the lost benefits thing by waiting them out.

Bigdawg26
07-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Agree 100%! What it sounds like the players are to slow to review and understand the documents so they are letting the fame whore Demaurice Smith (who's only looking after himself) tell them what to do! As much as I want to side with the players, the more I look at this mess the more I hate that prick!

fdf
07-23-2011, 12:36 AM
I follow football 365 iv lost a whole offseason.

It's not that bad. You will always have the Cutler/Orton threads.

boltaneer
07-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I've tried not to take sides in this whole debacle but the stuff coming out of the NFLPA camp these past couple of days has been laughable.

Very damaging hit in the court of public opinion.