PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Mendenhall sues ex-sponsor over 9/11 tweets

mhgaffney
07-21-2011, 12:30 AM
Rashard Mendenhall sues ex-sponsor Champion over 9/11 tweets

RALEIGH, N.C. -- Pittsburgh Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is suing the parent company of the Champion sports apparel maker, calling the decision to drop his endorsement deal over his tweets about the death of Osama bin Laden and the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks a breach of contract.

Mendenhall's lawyers filed suit Monday in U.S. District Court in North Carolina, seeking roughly $1 million in damages from Hanesbrands, Inc., the Winston-Salem-based corporate parent of Champion.

The complaint says Champion's decision to end its endorsement deal with Mendenhall in May, days after he questioned the public celebration of bin Laden's death, violates a contract extension the two parties signed in 2010, worth more than $1 million. Mendenhall first signed a deal to endorse Champion products when he entered the league in 2008.

"For Rashard, this really is not about the money. This is about whether he can express his opinion," said Steven Thompson, a Chicago-based attorney representing Mendenhall.

A spokesman for Hanesbrands did not return a call seeking comment by early Tuesday afternoon.

Shortly after bin Laden was killed by a team of Navy SEALs, Mendenhall tweeted, in response to scenes of euphoria around the U.S., "What kind of person celebrates death? It's amazing how people can HATE a man they have never even heard speak. We've only heard one side..."

He also tweeted on the Sept. 11 attacks: "We'll never know what really happened. I just have a hard time believing a plane could take a skyscraper down demolition style."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6783353/rashard-mendenhall-pittsburgh-steelers-sues-champion-1m

BroncoMan4ever
07-21-2011, 01:52 AM
i agree with the lawsuit if Champion in fact did let him go over his tweets. regardless of how stupid and kept private they were

v2micca
07-21-2011, 05:00 AM
i agree with the lawsuit if Champion in fact did let him go over his tweets. regardless of how stupid and kept private they were

It really depends on the language in the contract he signed with Champion. Most of these companies have clauses that let them get out of endorsement deals with a client if they feel the client's actions could prove detrimental to the image they strive to maintain.

Still, considering all the crazy things this guy has tweeted over the past year, seems odd that this particular public outburst would be the one to cause Champion to cry uncle.

ColoradoDarin
07-21-2011, 05:39 AM
"It's not about the money" = "It's all about the money"

tnedator
07-21-2011, 05:51 AM
Well, Mendenhall is clearly an idiot, so I hope his contract had the kind of language that allowed him to get dumped and that his suit gets tossed on summary judgement.

oubronco
07-21-2011, 06:26 AM
This twitter stuff is stupid

tnedator
07-21-2011, 06:34 AM
This twitter stuff is stupid

Only when stupid people Tweet...

The Joker
07-21-2011, 07:01 AM
We'll see how "not about the money" it is if he wins the case.

Odds he donates the cash to charity?

tnedator
07-21-2011, 08:44 AM
We'll see how "not about the money" it is if he wins the case.

Odds he donates the cash to charity?

About the same odds that Mankin and Jackson weren't really looking for a special deal in the anti-trust case. :thumbs:

BroncoMan4ever
07-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Only when stupid people Tweet...

well stupid people are the only ones who actively use twitter. so by the transitive property stupid people tweet = twitter is stupid

alkemical
07-21-2011, 11:20 AM
well stupid people are the only ones who actively use twitter. so by the transitive property stupid people tweet = twitter is stupid

Whew, not as bad as facebookers. Ugh.

UberBroncoMan
07-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Whew, not as bad as facebookers. Ugh.

Enter Google+

Way too many ****ing social outlets these days.

alkemical
07-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Enter Google+

Way too many ****ing social outlets these days.

All about market & mind share.

I am losing time to be involved in "them". I had someone ask why i'm on twitter more, then i realized my google-reader feed is published to twitter.

tnedator
07-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Only stupid people would make a statement like "stupid people are the only ones who actively use twitter." Not only is it a ridiculous statement, but one that could not possibly ever being proven as an actual fact. Hence, only an idiot would make a statement of fact that could not be proven as fact.

Houshyamama
07-21-2011, 03:41 PM
This just won't be a thread until McGruber appears.

Houshyamama
07-21-2011, 03:43 PM
:thumbs:

Did you know that Mendenhall is an anagram for Osama Bin Laden??

Swedish Extrovert
07-21-2011, 03:53 PM
It really depends on the language in the contract he signed with Champion. Most of these companies have clauses that let them get out of endorsement deals with a client if they feel the client's actions could prove detrimental to the image they strive to maintain.

Still, considering all the crazy things this guy has tweeted over the past year, seems odd that this particular public outburst would be the one to cause Champion to cry uncle.

^ This

You'd think an NFL player would shoot higher than Champion for an endorsement deal, right? I mean what is lower-end than Champion Apparel?

Swedish Extrovert
07-21-2011, 03:56 PM
For comparison:

My Nike moisture-wicking running shirt cost $40
My Navy-issue PT shirt cost $18
A Champion running shirt cost $11