PDA

View Full Version : Player calls out those seeking personal benefits from lockout settlement

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Incase anyone isn't tracking it, the major catches with the labor deal now are settling the ongoing lawsuits. Four of the named plaintiffs are wanting personal benefits to settle. Vincent Jackson and Logan Mankins both want either $10 million or free agency and Brees and Manning want lifetime exemptions from the franchise tag.

This was an article just posted over at PFT:

The Manning, Brees, Mankins, Jackson backlash begins
Posted by Mike Florio on July 19, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT

With four of the 10 named plaintiffs who supposedly are representing all players trying to cut their own deal, possibly at the risk of blowing up the entire settlement, the other 1,896 players can’t be all that happy about this.

Now, at least one of them has gone on the record. (Sure, he’s a punter. But he’s still technically a player.)

Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has posted the following message on his Twitter page: “Sigh, and once again greed is the operative byword. Congrats Brees, Manning, Mankins, and Jackson for being ‘that guy’. #douchebags.“

We love you, Chris Kluwe. Even though you’re just a punter.

LOL I love it!

TheReverend
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Holy ****. Crazy spin off possibility:

If Manning got an exemption, couldn't we sign him next week?

Bow

Ner

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Holy ****. Crazy spin off possibility:

If Manning got an exemption, couldn't we sign him next week?

Bow

Ner

That is the assumption. If it comes through, he's pretty much an instant free agent (unless his deal can be completed in 3 days).

TheReverend
07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
That is the assumption. If it comes through, he's pretty much an instant free agent (unless his deal can be completed in 3 days).

Obviously he's just staying in Indy.

...but if we realllllllllllllllly backed the effing truck up...

tnedator
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
If it wasn't for the fact I REALLY want the football season to get underway, I would almost like to see this blow up the whole deal and get the owners to play real hardball.

De Smith's plan was to try and negotiate with litigation, threatening to fight to have the draft, free agency, trades, etc. ruled illegal in the court system. That was his hammer in the negotiations.

Now, the guys he got together for the lawsuit (representing a range of situtions -- rookie, free agent, restricted free agent, etc.) are proving to be greedy scum, if the reports are right.

Bigdawg26
07-19-2011, 01:40 PM
LOL awesome!

tsiguy96
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
logan mankins and vincent jackson almost literally had ZERO part of any of the litigation or collective bargaining process, they simply want 10 mil cash or FA just to sign their name to the lawsuit.

BroncoMan4ever
07-19-2011, 05:02 PM
i love that a player said what everyone is really thinking. the only thing is i wish it was a more established bigger named player instead of some random punter.

BroncoMan4ever
07-19-2011, 05:04 PM
If it wasn't for the fact I REALLY want the football season to get underway, I would almost like to see this blow up the whole deal and get the owners to play real hardball.

De Smith's plan was to try and negotiate with litigation, threatening to fight to have the draft, free agency, trades, etc. ruled illegal in the court system. That was his hammer in the negotiations.

Now, the guys he got together for the lawsuit (representing a range of situtions -- rookie, free agent, restricted free agent, etc.) are proving to be greedy scum, if the reports are right.

Smith isn't any different from the greedy **** players he is representing. every time i see his face i just see a guy like Don King years ago. the mouth saying a lot of ****, but not giving a damn about anyone or anything other than what he wants to get.

Mogulseeker
07-19-2011, 05:25 PM
I just added Chris Kluwe to my favorite athletes on facebook

Archer81
07-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah...

That won't become an issue in the future for franchise players. "I want the Brees-Manning-Brady-Jackson-Mankins deal or I retire".

****ers. Just play the goddamn game or dont. ****ing A.

:Broncos:

IHaveALight
07-19-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm just glad Von Miller isn't on that list.

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-19-2011, 08:25 PM
I just added Chris Kluwe to my favorite athletes on facebook
I was going to do that too, but his FaceBook site says "Sorry, this profile is not available at the moment. Please try again shortly." ... wtf!?

schaaf
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't understand this... Go to Vincent Jackson's and Drew Brees' twitter page they deny these reports and are not asking for anything

tsiguy96
07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't understand this... Go to Vincent Jackson's and Drew Brees' twitter page they deny these reports and are not asking for anything

they are putting the responsibility on their agents and kessler, saying they never asked for this personally but the lawyers did..

PR story, obviously.

gunns
07-19-2011, 09:36 PM
I've never understood these celebrities that have no control over their agents and lawyers.

Yeah, right.

schaaf
07-19-2011, 09:44 PM
they are putting the responsibility on their agents and kessler, saying they never asked for this personally but the lawyers did..

PR story, obviously.

I think this is more of a media thing than anything

Mogulseeker
07-19-2011, 09:58 PM
I was going to do that too, but his FaceBook site says "Sorry, this profile is not available at the moment. Please try again shortly." ... wtf!?

Hilarious! They must have a bandwidth limit on punters that has been exceeded after that twitter comment.

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I think this is more of a media thing than anything

The PFT theory (or one they picked up, no idea) is that it was mostly a byproduct of agents and Kessler. The two that were supposedly requesting franchise tag prevention are both represented by CAA so it'd make sense that they could use it as a bargaining tool or, in worst case scenario, to get the biggest contract ever known to man on the FA market.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know much about it but the agents are hired to speak for the player in many situations and though Brees and Manning are supposedly plaintiffs, this was presumably proposed and discussed at a time when they weren't present for proceedings.

You can only put your name on so many things and then feign ignorance and claim you had nothing to do with it.

Br0nc0Buster
07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
yeah the "players" have lost any sympathy from me
Adrian Peterson comparing it to slavery
now this