PDA

View Full Version : Spotify is awesome

Taco John
07-19-2011, 12:29 AM
In case you didn't already know, Spotify is about the coolest thing ever.

ZachKC
07-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Yes. I completely agree it is...amazing.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Truth. Even ponied up for the Premium. I'm already addicted to concocting new playlists. Lots of fun.

Kaylore
07-19-2011, 05:25 AM
I've been meaning to try this. I was going to get on this weekend and then my wallet got stolen and priorities shifted...

ColoradoDarin
07-19-2011, 05:54 AM
yes, yes it is

Goobzilla
07-19-2011, 07:08 AM
What makes it great compared to the others? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mediator12
07-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Alright, I have not googled it yet, WTF is spotify?

alkemical
07-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Is this an ipod/itunes slayer?

Chris
07-19-2011, 07:49 AM
What makes it great compared to the others? Inquiring minds want to know.

It has 95% of tracks you can think of.

Free is unlimited in the US right now (I have both a UK and US account... free in the UK is limited to 20 hours... I suspect they'll do this after six months or so in the US).

You can arrange playlists, find similar artists, listen to entire albums, take pictures of yourself in the buff wearing nothing but tin foil, etc.

In fairness I used youtube for much the same purpose and built playlists on that... but this is a bit easier since it's just "there" and you don't have to find things.

OABB
07-19-2011, 11:45 AM
how do I get an invite?

HooptyHoops
07-19-2011, 12:04 PM
how do I get an invite?

I was wondering the same thing....

Dr. Broncenstein
07-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Interested in the invite as well.

cutthemdown
07-19-2011, 12:08 PM
You can find any album you want in a torrent and get it for free.

Shananahan
07-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Yeah. Between what, torrentz and the old-fashioned soulseek I get anything I could ever want and more.

I got back on Spotify when it opened up last week, and my old login from years ago before it got kicked out of the country still worked. It's pretty awesome, but I don't really use it that much. I like the shared playlists the most, probably.

Taco John
07-19-2011, 12:16 PM
I got my invite by signing up through their webpage here:
http://www.spotify.com/us/hello-america/

It came about a week after I signed up. I was skeptical that it would be any good, but after a few hours of playing with it, I love it. It's great for listening to music on the desktop. I'm still a little skeptical of it due to the fact that there is no option to download any of the music and take it with you away from your desktop (or outside of a service area for mobile), but speaking strictly as a desktop app, I love it.

I'm still haven't experimented with the mobile stuff. Apparently it can be used to sync my MP3s with my Android.

Shananahan
07-19-2011, 12:21 PM
You could download the stuff if you really wanted to take the time to do so, but you'd need a streaming software program and it wouldn't be worth the work involved.

There are probably a few easier, lower-quality ways to do so as well, but why not just download whatever you're looking for the normal ways?

Chris
07-19-2011, 12:45 PM

That's called stealing.

alkemical
07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
That's called stealing.

I promise i'll buy it when I have the $.

OR - if you have the CD's - you can "legally" claim ownership. ;)

(Or it used to be that way).

crowebomber
07-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Can you burn a cd from your playlist with Spotify? I'm trying to load my Rockola with some good music and am wondering what the best (cheapest and a thorough catalog of artists and songs) service is.

Chris
07-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Can you burn a cd from your playlist with Spotify? I'm trying to load my Rockola with some good music and am wondering what the best (cheapest and a thorough catalog of artists and songs) service is.

You can store a few thousand songs on your ipod / portable device to listen to without a connection.

crowebomber
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
You can store a few thousand songs on your ipod / portable device to listen to without a connection.

Nice, but I actually need to burn CDs for my jukebox.

cutthemdown
07-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I promise i'll buy it when I have the $.

OR - if you have the CD's - you can "legally" claim ownership. ;)

(Or it used to be that way).

They only bust people who share the stuff, not the downloaders. I would feel worst if I didn't spend like 3000 bucks a yr on seeing concerts and buying cds. I may download on a torrent, but its always older stuff you can't find easily now. Blues and Jazz albums mostly. I agree though it's wrong and I feel really bad about it. I'm keeping my collection of 360 thousand MP3 though.

Truthfully recording overhead has went way down. The recording equipment so advanced now they do in 1 day what took a week before. Musicians will have to make their money by performing live and touring. The days of just sitting back and selling cds is coming to an end.

cutthemdown
07-19-2011, 12:52 PM
By the way just picked up 6 tickets to see Tower of Power my favorite group. Also when I was at the last Blues Fest I paid for every bands cd to support. So I don't feel guilty, I just love music so much that sometimes I will download it if I see that as my way of obtaining it that will succeed.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Easynews for the things I'd want to...uh...keep

Spotify for everything else I'd want to listen to.

Mogulseeker
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
grooveshark

Chris
07-19-2011, 01:57 PM
grooveshark

Grooveshark has much less than spotify since it relies on user uploads. It's also not available on mobile devices. It's also illegal.

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm not a big music guy so if I know a song, I've heard it on the radio.

If I've heard it on the radio, it's legal to copy it from the radio and listen to it later.

If I can copy it from the radio and listen to it later, I could have the MP3 for free.

I just leave my radio on whenever I'm in the car to support them and download any songs I might decide I want to listen to at home.

Shananahan
07-19-2011, 02:17 PM
I love how everybody is trying to justify their downloading of music in this thread.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Just like we all masturbate, we all download music illegally. C'mon now.

Chris
07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Just like we all masturbate, we all download music illegally. C'mon now.

Tim Tebow does neither.

Mogulseeker
07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Grooveshark has much less than spotify since it relies on user uploads. It's also not available on mobile devices. It's also illegal.

Well it's ad-supported and it hasn't been shut down, so I'm assuming they pay for a license.

Chris
07-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I think they're in murky waters legally whereby they don't take responsibility for what people upload. Spotify on the other hand has deals with most record companies, which is why it's taken them so long to cross the pond.