PDA

View Full Version : Weekend BBQ

Drunk Monkey
07-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Since I have spent the better part of today smoking a pork shoulder I was wondering who else is into slow cooked/smoked BBQ.

I injected a 7lb shoulder last night with a mixture of apple juice, sugar, salt, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Put on a dry rub this morning (http://www.adkinsseasoning.com/Store.html) and have been smoking away. It should be ready in an hour or so. I love me some BBQ.

Any other BBQ people out there.

RhymesayersDU
07-17-2011, 04:15 PM
Smoking a pork, eh?

Blart?

That One Guy
07-17-2011, 04:18 PM
LOL

My wife doesn't like pork so we stay away from it generally. I do lots of things slow cooked but haven't really gotten into the smoking thing. Can you really tell a big difference on a smoker vs a slow cooker (crock pot) and then BBQ'ing it?

I guess the issue would be if you dry rubbed the smoked stuff. Slow cookered basically has to be BBQ'd because it has to be cooked in water to avoid burning.

Drunk Monkey
07-17-2011, 04:22 PM
LOL

My wife doesn't like pork so we stay away from it generally. I do lots of things slow cooked but haven't really gotten into the smoking thing. Can you really tell a big difference on a smoker vs a slow cooker (crock pot) and then BBQ'ing it?

I guess the issue would be if you dry rubbed the smoked stuff. Slow cookered basically has to be BBQ'd because it has to be cooked in water to avoid burning.

Huge difference. Smoking something really infuses the meat with that smokey flavor. It can also have a similar texture of a crock pot if that is what you are looking for. I smoked the shoulder open on the grated for 6 hours then wrapped it in foil for the last 3. Basically it boils the meet in it's own juices to give it that tender falling apart texture.

Lev Vyvanse
07-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Smoked baby back ribs FTW! I cook them on the smoker 5 or 6 times a year.

Drunk Monkey
07-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Nice, ribs done well are great.

The best thing about smoking meat is the cost. For 2 pork shoulders it cost $26. I got 13.7lbs for that. It would take my entire street to consume that in one sitting.

Eldorado
07-17-2011, 05:38 PM

I have had the pleasure of eating the ribs off of Lev's smoker. I will no longer pay any establishment for ribs, as I would simply be disappoint. They could not be better.

Jay3
07-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Mo power to you -- slow smoked pork shoulder is one of my favorite things.

But sold on every corner around here so it's rare to do it yourself. I have done it, though.

Goobzilla
07-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Goob and the Mrs. are both KCBS certified bbq judges, and I cook a little as well.

Drunk Monkey
07-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Goob and the Mrs. are both KCBS certified bbq judges, and I cook a little as well.

What does one have to do to become KCBS

Goobzilla
07-17-2011, 07:21 PM
What does one have to do to become KCBS

Take a judging class they sponsor. Check their website for one near you kcbs.us

80smith
07-17-2011, 07:35 PM
My father's day present! Weber rotisserie for the charcoal grill.

(not my picture)

Talk about slow cook! Did a chicken and went to take the leg off and pulled the bone right out of the chicken with no trouble.

Buddy of mine does a shoulder and its good! I hope to do one with in the next few weeks. I don't smoke much, Family does not like it, But the rotisserie was a great buy!

SouthStndJunkie
07-17-2011, 08:39 PM
I grilled some bourbon marinated beef and chicken skewers with vegetables this weekend.

Grilled those and some local grown fresh corn on the cob, sliced up potatoes and cooked on the grill after being brushed with olive oil and finished the meal off with some fresh cold watermelon for dessert.

strafen
07-17-2011, 08:45 PM
I enjoy cooking on the weekend and spending quality time with my loved ones.
I cooked some nice super tender lamb ribs.
I love lamb. good stuff. I've got them from a friend of mine who got some good connections on all kind of tender meat.

Rock Chalk
07-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Since I have spent the better part of today smoking a pork shoulder I was wondering who else is into slow cooked/smoked BBQ.

I injected a 7lb shoulder last night with a mixture of apple juice, sugar, salt, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Put on a dry rub this morning (http://www.adkinsseasoning.com/Store.html) and have been smoking away. It should be ready in an hour or so. I love me some BBQ.

Any other BBQ people out there.

I did a pork shoulder two weeks ago.

Thats not a bad injection but next time try replacing the sugar with brown sugar, and adding a bit of vinegar. Other than that though I generally use a similar injection.

Do you make or buy a rub? Most times I will use a bought one but from time to time I will make my own.

How long you cook it for? The one I made two weeks ago was a 10 pounder and I cooked it for about 7.5 hours at 280-290 and when it came off the smoker and I went to cut into it it fell apart. Tender and juicy awesomeness.

I prefer apple wood for pork too.

Here it was about 20 minutes after I put it on:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249316_10150198985669485_838074484_6904966_6544305 _n.jpg

And this was it about 2 hours left to cook
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250341_10150199244029485_838074484_6908080_2860655 _n.jpg

broncocalijohn
07-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Busy working yesterday but slow cooking any meat is pure awesome. I didnt BBQ/Grill yesterday but I did do a crock pot for 8 hours for making pulled pork sandwiches. Basic to do and added 2 garlics, onion powder, onion slices, garlic powder and ground pepper. 1 hour at least before it is done, put the BBQ sauce on it and break it apart to spread the sauce around. If anyone else has ingredients to add, let me know.

Rabb
07-18-2011, 01:28 PM
I love using my smoker, I have always avoided injecting pork shoulders though because I heard there is a fine line there before you make it ham like...if you guys reccomend it I will have to try.

I switched to apple or cherry wood for pork as well, it doesn't have a real overpowering smoke but gives it a nice flavor.

I did some smoked mac and cheese a week ago, that stuff is awesome

Pony Boy
07-18-2011, 01:50 PM
smoked bologna

This no joke, don't knock it till you've tried it....... yummmm

Dr. Broncenstein
07-18-2011, 01:54 PM
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Drunk Monkey
07-18-2011, 02:09 PM
I did a pork shoulder two weeks ago.

That's not a bad injection but next time try replacing the sugar with brown sugar, and adding a bit of vinegar. Other than that though I generally use a similar injection.

Do you make or buy a rub? Most times I will use a bought one but from time to time I will make my own.

How long you cook it for? The one I made two weeks ago was a 10 pounder and I cooked it for about 7.5 hours at 280-290 and when it came off the smoker and I went to cut into it it fell apart. Tender and juicy awesomeness.

I prefer apple wood for pork too.

Here it was about 20 minutes after I put it on:

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249316_10150198985669485_838074484_6904966_6544305 _n.jpg

And this was it about 2 hours left to cook
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250341_10150199244029485_838074484_6908080_2860655 _n.jpg

Looks good. I went with a store bought rub this time (in op). I have tried some home made ones that were pretty good but I think the store bought one was better. I cooked it for 9 hours at 225. I bumped it up to 245 for the last hour to speed it up a little (wrapped in foil for the last 3 hours, heavy smoke for the first 6). Pulled it off when the internal temp hit 195. It... was.... glorious. My wife who is on the fence when it comes to smoked meat went back for seconds.

I used http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse/dp/B00104WRCY which does a great job of holding the temp constant but sucks for smoke. I just got one of these and used it for the first time yesterday http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm and it worked perfect.

Next up is a brisket, I still have yet to smoke a good one. It's tough to do without drying it out.

Drunk Monkey
07-18-2011, 02:12 PM
I love using my smoker, I have always avoided injecting pork shoulders though because I heard there is a fine line there before you make it ham like...if you guys reccomend it I will have to try.

I switched to apple or cherry wood for pork as well, it doesn't have a real overpowering smoke but gives it a nice flavor.

I did some smoked mac and cheese a week ago, that stuff is awesome

You should definitely try injecting it next time. It really adds a lot of flavor. Smoked mac and cheese, that sounds interesting. how did you do it?

broncocalijohn
07-18-2011, 02:18 PM
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Not until someone pours Diet Dr. Pepper onto the meat and then sprinkle in some BACON!

Rock Chalk
07-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Looks good. I went with a store bought rub this time (in op). I have tried some home made ones that were pretty good but I think the store bought one was better. I cooked it for 9 hours at 225. I bumped it up to 245 for the last hour to speed it up a little (wrapped in foil for the last 3 hours, heavy smoke for the first 6). Pulled it off when the internal temp hit 195. It... was.... glorious. My wife who is on the fence when it comes to smoked meat went back for seconds.

I used http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070910-30-Inch-Electric-Smokehouse/dp/B00104WRCY which does a great job of holding the temp constant but sucks for smoke. I just got one of these and used it for the first time yesterday http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm and it worked perfect.

Next up is a brisket, I still have yet to smoke a good one. It's tough to do without drying it out.

I have had about 5 different smokers and what I have found is that each one is unique and meat has to be cooked on its own temperature on each one. My 3rd smoker, pork cooked brilliantly at 240, but this smoker, pork won't cook right unless its at 275-290.

Beef, poultry, sausage, same way. Finding the smoker's character takes about 3 or 4 tries when you get a new smoker.

I like my new one, perfect for the size of bbq that I do. Can cook a large brisket or two pork butts/shoulders, or a 15 lbs turkey with ease.

Like you though, I will most times buy a rub. Its easier and most of the rubs out there are pretty good. I do make my own injections and my own bbq sauce though. I prefer my bbq sauce to be a bit on the spicy side.

Wood choice is an entirely different matter. In Texas, these douches like Hickory or Mesquite and some pecan (which I happen to love). NO FRUIT WOODS DOWN HERE!!! (Good thing I have family in OKC who comes down about 4 times a year and brings me more wood)

Which sucks because I absolutely love cooking with Apple or Maple. I just tried cherry recently and was fond of it as well and my uncle swears by peach but I've never cooked with it.

Beef I generally stick to pecan though, pork I will do either apple or now, cherry, poultry solely apple.

I was really irritated last weekend when the wife had to work and put the kabosh on my BBQ plans but this weekend Im doing another pork butt + enbrouchette and throwing a modified bacon explosion (cheese filled) on the smoker for a few hours to double with the enbrouchette as an appetizer. Good times.

Rabb
07-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I'll post the mac and cheese recipe, it's from a cook book and man my family loves it

I will have to talk to you guys about injecting more when the time nears

I use a store bought rub from this place by my folks in Florida and it is amazing...I use it on ribs as well, it's called Butt Rub

http://buttrub.com/

I have a Masterbuilt smokehouse, aka "Smokey"

oubronco
07-18-2011, 03:50 PM
I love to BBQ but it has been way too hot to be out barbequing and here's what we have to look forward to and then you add the Heat index of 108-115......well you get the idea

http://www.centralmediaserver.com/KOKI/wsi/7_day.jpg

Lev Vyvanse
07-18-2011, 03:59 PM
I love to BBQ but it has been way too hot to be out barbequing and here's what we have to look forward to and then you add the Heat index of 108-115......well you get the idea

http://www.centralmediaserver.com/KOKI/wsi/7_day.jpg

Thats the price you pay for living in a paradise like Oklahoma.
LOL

That One Guy
07-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Thats the price you pay for living in a paradise like Oklahoma.
LOL

LOL

You're just jealous.

That One Guy
07-18-2011, 04:44 PM
OK, so seeing everyone having fun and since I've always wanted to, the wife has to work late tomorrow so a smoking experiment is in order. The problem is, I've never smoked a thing in my life. Anyone have a good resource for details? I need, literally, like point A to point Z.

And because the wife isn't a big fan of pork usually, I didn't want to risk turning her off of it entirely if I messed up. I'm gonna be trying a brisket. You guys teased me, now help me do it!

EDIT: It looks like smoker-cooking.com has some decent info. I think I'll rub it and let it sit tonight and see where we get tomorrow.

Drunk Monkey
07-18-2011, 05:40 PM
OK, so seeing everyone having fun and since I've always wanted to, the wife has to work late tomorrow so a smoking experiment is in order. The problem is, I've never smoked a thing in my life. Anyone have a good resource for details? I need, literally, like point A to point Z.

And because the wife isn't a big fan of pork usually, I didn't want to risk turning her off of it entirely if I messed up. I'm gonna be trying a brisket. You guys teased me, now help me do it!

EDIT: It looks like smoker-cooking.com has some decent info. I think I'll rub it and let it sit tonight and see where we get tomorrow.

What are you cooking it on?

Drunk Monkey
07-18-2011, 05:44 PM
This is my brothers recipe. He swears by it. I am going to give it a try pretty soon. Good luck.

Brisket

Due this 9 to 12 hours before you start smoking
-This is for a brisket that includes both the point and the flat
-Take the brisket and wash it off and dry it with a paper towel
-Trim off any lose pieces of fat or meat
-Trim off all excess fat so there is no fat that is more that inch thick, this does not include the fat between the point and the flat
-Mix up a injection that is ⅓ apple cider vinegar, ⅓ olive oil, ⅙ water and ⅙ rub
-Inject the mixture all over th brisket
-Reuse the portion that leaks out and inject again or pour it over the top.
-Let the meat rest in the refrigerator

Morning of the smoke
-Take the brisket out about 45 minutes before you start smoking
-Dry meat with a paper towel
-Use the Adkins rub and coat the meat thoroughly. Make sure rub is covering every bit of the meat and is in every crack or crevice.
-Put 2 or 3 cups of water in the bottom of the smoker, also include a few ounces of vinegar, olive oil and a bit of liquid smoke
-Get the source of the smoke ready and started.
-Put in the brisket, if it does not fit flat, put it in at an angle with the big part at the high end
-Set the time for about 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour per pound and the temperature should be 225 degrees

During the smoke
-Ensure the temperature stays close to 225 degrees
-Allow the smoke to go for 5 to 6 hours
-After 5 or 6 hours, stop the smoke and wrap the brisket in foil.
-Put the brisket wrapped in foil back into the smoker at the same angel it was before
-Continue to cook the brisket until the internal temperature reaches 185 everywhere in the meat.
-Remove the brisket, wrap it in a towel or two and then let it sit for about 1 hour.

After the smoke
-After resting for about 1 hour, separate the point and the flat by cutting along the fat separating the two.
-Cut the flat into narrow strips
-Cut the point into chopped beef (or it can also be sliced)
-Serve with BBQ sauce if you want

That One Guy
07-18-2011, 05:53 PM
What are you cooking it on?

I have a smoker.

The quality, I vouch for it not.

It's a barrel thing with a smaller barrel thing on the side for the smoking.

Drunk Monkey
07-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I have a smoker.

The quality, I vouch for it not.

It's a barrel thing with a smaller barrel thing on the side for the smoking.

I used to have one of those, never got it to work at the lower temps for longer cooking. Rock Chalk looks like he was using one for his pork shoulder, maybe he has some insight.

That One Guy
07-18-2011, 06:20 PM
I used to have one of those, never got it to work at the lower temps for longer cooking. Rock Chalk looks like he was using one for his pork shoulder, maybe he has some insight.

You're right, he did. Good call.

So far the smoking area has simply been a storage area when I don't feel like emptying the ash. I just scoop it down there and empty it when it fills up.

Lev Vyvanse
07-18-2011, 07:33 PM

Thats the kind of smoker I use. The key is to get a really hot fire, then tamp it down as much as you can.

That One Guy
07-18-2011, 09:18 PM
OK... so I'm improvising some. I made a late night trip to Wal-Mart to get all the things I needed. Big ol' brisket - Check, Apple Cider Vinegar (I thought you were making **** up) - check, smoking wood - mesquite, Liquid smoke - check, rub - This is where I ran into problems. No real smoking rubs that I could find so I went with a "smokey and sweet" grilling rub. We'll see how this works out. I also got home to find out I had no oil so.. we're rolling without it.

Since I'm going off the beaten path, I cut the brisket in half and figured I'd minimize my exposure. If I botch this one, I can always try again in a few days. I ended up doing 1 cup apple cider vinegar, about a second of full open water, and 3 or 4 shakes of the rubbing stuff to add texture. Then I injected enough that when I tried to inject more, it started spraying out. At that point, I poured the extra over it, wrapped it in a wal-mart bag, and stuck it in the fridge.

We'll see where we end up. Unpreparedness sucks but sometimes it turns out good. Hopefully this is one of those times.

misturanderson
07-18-2011, 09:28 PM
OK... so I'm improvising some. I made a late night trip to Wal-Mart to get all the things I needed. Big ol' brisket - Check, Apple Cider Vinegar (I thought you were making **** up) - check, smoking wood - mesquite, Liquid smoke - check, rub - This is where I ran into problems. No real smoking rubs that I could find so I went with a "smokey and sweet" grilling rub. We'll see how this works out. I also got home to find out I had no oil so.. we're rolling without it.

Since I'm going off the beaten path, I cut the brisket in half and figured I'd minimize my exposure. If I botch this one, I can always try again in a few days. I ended up doing 1 cup apple cider vinegar, about a second of full open water, and 3 or 4 shakes of the rubbing stuff to add texture. Then I injected enough that when I tried to inject more, it started spraying out. At that point, I poured the extra over it, wrapped it in a wal-mart bag, and stuck it in the fridge.

We'll see where we end up. Unpreparedness sucks but sometimes it turns out good. Hopefully this is one of those times.

Honestly. I would have gone with hickory (or oak if you could find it) for a brisket. Mesquite tends to be better for poultry (though I personally don't like it with anything).

That One Guy
07-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Honestly. I would have gone with hickory (or oak if you could find it) for a brisket. Mesquite tends to be better for poultry (though I personally don't like it with anything).

Hickory (I believe) was the other option and I thought about it but not knowing WTF I was doing and knowing my addiction for mesquite, I grabbed it. It makes sense in hindsight though, WTF would it even taste like?

If I have to go back out in the morning for anything, I'll grab the hickory. Good call.

Lev Vyvanse
07-18-2011, 09:48 PM
Hickory (I believe) was the other option and I thought about it but not knowing WTF I was doing and knowing my addiction for mesquite, I grabbed it. It makes sense in hindsight though, WTF would it even taste like?

If I have to go back out in the morning for anything, I'll grab the hickory. Good call.

Mesquite will be fine.

Rock Chalk
07-19-2011, 05:07 AM

Brisket is a tough first project. I would suggest ribs for your first. Even if you screw them up they are probably still going to be good.

Rock Chalk
07-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Mesquite will be fine.

If your a bloody Texan.

Mesquite sucks, too strong and overpowering. Hickory is decent, but beef is best with Pecan or Oak.

****ing Texans don't know how to cook with anything but Hickory or Mesquite though.

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 09:14 AM
If your a bloody Texan.

Mesquite sucks, too strong and overpowering. Hickory is decent, but beef is best with Pecan or Oak.

****ing Texans don't know how to cook with anything but Hickory or Mesquite though.

Mesquite makes me happy.

I have a shipment of the Lawry's mesquite marinade coming in today. F'ers don't carry it down here and I've struggled enough finding a replacement.

Drunk Monkey
07-19-2011, 09:20 AM
If your a bloody Texan.

I don't mind it for a brisket. It is to strong for pork. I was surprised to find apple and cherry chips at Lowe's last year. I hope they brought them back again, if you are in a pinch you may check them out if your supply dries up. It's better then the crazy prices all the BBQ specialty stores think they can charge.

Rabb
07-19-2011, 09:49 AM
I am with RC on mesquite actually, I am so sold on fruit-based woods now it's not even funny

I didn't notice how overpowered pork especially is with mesquite and even hickory until I switched, I still get the smoke but it doesn't get in the way if that makes sense

preference thing of course

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 10:07 AM
OK, so foul #1 already occurred - I only needed half my grill for the slab of meat I was dealing with so I just used the side nearest the heat source. It basically became a direct heat for that part and a bit of the fat blackened. I moved it some but I'll just judge the overall attempt off the back half and salvage what is good from the front half.

Drunk Monkey
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
I almost forgot, the most important thing while BBQing is beer. Tell me for the love of god are you drinking? If not get your ass to the store ASAP and fix it.

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 11:33 AM
I almost forgot, the most important thing while BBQing is beer. Tell me for the love of god are you drinking? If not get your ass to the store ASAP and fix it.

LOL

I used a pineapple juice can (for the woodchips) and had to drink the pineapple juice out of it while on my porch which overlooks a big pond surrounded by palm trees. So we went with the exotic drink aspect today.

I love my wife but she's a nagger. If she came home and saw that I had already been drinking (even just a few beers), I'd soon be doing shots of Jack to drown her out and the night would be ruined.

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
So the taste is freakin' awesome but the internal temps just aren't getting up where I need them to be. I thought it was because the smoker was fluctuating in the 2-225ish range so once it went into foil, I moved it to the oven. We're at about 7 hours now and only at 130 degrees.

Do I just let it take as long as needed or kick up the temps some?

I'm REALLY looking forward to it getting done and can only hope the texture is as good as the flavor.

oubronco
07-19-2011, 02:48 PM

Try injecting it with the Tony Chachere's marinade and your rub. My father in law does it and it nearly falls apart

Tony Chachere's Injectable
Roasted Garlic & Herb Marinade 17oz
Tony Chachere's Injectable Marinade will flavor your meat in 5 minutes. This unique way of marinating will save you time and money. It will also marinate on the inside where conventional marinades can't reach.

Drunk Monkey
07-19-2011, 02:50 PM
So the taste is freakin' awesome but the internal temps just aren't getting up where I need them to be. I thought it was because the smoker was fluctuating in the 2-225ish range so once it went into foil, I moved it to the oven. We're at about 7 hours now and only at 130 degrees.

Do I just let it take as long as needed or kick up the temps some?

I'm REALLY looking forward to it getting done and can only hope the texture is as good as the flavor.

I would kick up the temp. What is the oven at now? You really want to get over 180, if not it will be a little tough.

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I would kick up the temp. What is the oven at now? You really want to get over 180, if not it will be a little tough.

The meat temp is up to about 140 and I just kicked the oven from like 240 to 270. I'm gonna go ahead and see this through to 180 even if it means ordering pizza for dinner. I'm not disappointed at all that I have to lick my fingers clean after messing with it but it is a bit tough getting the thermometer in so I can see how it'd be tough to eat right now.

Drunk Monkey
07-19-2011, 04:22 PM
The meat temp is up to about 140 and I just kicked the oven from like 240 to 270. I'm gonna go ahead and see this through to 180 even if it means ordering pizza for dinner. I'm not disappointed at all that I have to lick my fingers clean after messing with it but it is a bit tough getting the thermometer in so I can see how it'd be tough to eat right now.

Lol, I to have had to order out a few times.... more for the nagging wife then anything but good job seeing it through.

80smith
07-19-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm smoking a salmon on a plank. The best salmon I have ever had... It's not fancy or complicated but if done right, Its the best salmon ever!

That One Guy
07-19-2011, 09:29 PM
Lol, I to have had to order out a few times.... more for the nagging wife then anything but good job seeing it through.

Well, the wife couldn't keep off so we didn't end up seeing it through. I pulled it out to show her at about 145 (it slowed down significantly so god knows how long the last 35 degrees would've taken) and she suggested we see where it was at. Well, it appears the part that had been on direct heat cooked better than the rest so it was great. We decided to just go with it and I knew once I started cutting the rest, it was definitely tougher. It was still bearable but came out like a poorly cooked roast or something.

I really think I must not've had enough charcoal going. I just had too much trouble maintaining the heat that I needed. I think next time I'll load the thing up and figure it's easier to temper the heat than heat it up more.

Either way, the flavor was excellent and it was a great learning experience. I'll thaw the other half out and give it another go sometime. Thanks for all the help fellas.