PDA

View Full Version : The way the New Salary Cap Works.

rugbythug
07-16-2011, 01:37 PM
People Keep applying the old cap rules to the new CBA. Stop It!

New Cap- Actual Dollars Spent in the League Year. No more prorating signing bonuses and other stuff. No more cap hits when you drop a player. There is no such thing as a Cap Hit. If you give a guy 40 Million in a Signing Bonus that is 40 million towards your cap that year.

From now forward all of the contracts are going to change. No more front loads that are prorated.

More incentive to Redo Deals with your own players. My guess is less players ever hit FA.

That One Guy
07-16-2011, 01:40 PM
Your opinion of what it should be or fact of what it will be?

rugbythug
07-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Your opinion of what it should be or fact of what it will be?

It has been reported this way for over a Week by every outlet that does this reporting. CBS Yahoo, ESPN and PFT.

That One Guy
07-16-2011, 01:46 PM
It has been reported this way for over a Week by every outlet that does this reporting. CBS Yahoo, ESPN and PFT.

Awesome. I prefer that style. No cap games.

Mediator12
07-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Have you guys even paid attention to the NEW salary cap structure? Teams will need to spend within 90% of the cap in THIS YEARS DOLLARS, not including old Gauranteed money or bonuses. That means the minimum cash outlay for the year will be 108 mil, with a max of 123 mil with the one time player exemption. DEN stands at 80.54 million of outlay with salaries, before Any bonuses due in 2011. That means DEN will be 27.5 million below the salary floor before any bonuses or contract restructures.

If you look at the top 53 players that will count against the cap DEN will be in excellent shape as Dumervil is the highest salaried player at 14 mil, Orton is @ 7.4 mil, Kuper is @ 7 mil, Dawkins and Bailey are @ 6 mil, and DJ is @ 5 mil for this years cap projections. Everyone else on the roster is going to be 2 mil or below. There are NO salary cap repercussions going forward as they all expired with the previous CBA and the uncapped year last season. Players are going to get NEW money going forward at 47-48% of yearly revenues minimum. Really the only teams that will be in cap hell, are those that do not restructure gauranteed money or cut dead weight veterans. FA will attract some big contracts, but NOW more than EVER, teams will be able to re-sign their own players they want to keep plus be minimumly active for even top FA's unless they overpay elite players in salary.

The money and options will be there to sign elite FA's for every team. However, the good teams will NOT necessarily lose all their top FA's like People thought before the new Cap structure was released. Also, All the reporters who filed their salary cap hell articles are way, way off. They are still assuming the old salary cap rules with the new salary cap number. I just hope one of them would wake up and use the new structure being talked about before writing a drama story!

That One Guy
07-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Have you guys even paid attention to the NEW salary cap structure? Teams will need to spend within 90% of the cap in THIS YEARS DOLLARS, not including old Gauranteed money or bonuses. That means the minimum cash outlay for the year will be 108 mil, with a max of 123 mil with the one time player exemption. DEN stands at 80.54 million of outlay with salaries, before Any bonuses due in 2011. That means DEN will be 27.5 million below the salary floor before any bonuses or contract restructures.

If you look at the top 53 players that will count against the cap DEN will be in excellent shape as Dumervil is the highest salaried player at 14 mil, Orton is @ 7.4 mil, Kuper is @ 7 mil, Dawkins and Bailey are @ 6 mil, and DJ is @ 5 mil for this years cap projections. Everyone else on the roster is going to be 2 mil or below. There are NO salary cap repercussions going forward as they all expired with the previous CBA and the uncapped year last season. Players are going to get NEW money going forward at 47-48% of yearly revenues minimum. Really the only teams that will be in cap hell, are those that do not restructure gauranteed money or cut dead weight veterans. FA will attract some big contracts, but NOW more than EVER, teams will be able to re-sign their own players they want to keep plus be minimumly active for even top FA's unless they overpay elite players in salary.

The money and options will be there to sign elite FA's for every team. However, the good teams will NOT necessarily lose all their top FA's like People thought before the new Cap structure was released. Also, All the reporters who filed their salary cap hell articles are way, way off. They are still assuming the old salary cap rules with the new salary cap number. I just hope one of them would wake up and use the new structure being talked about before writing a drama story!

It seems like until this cap cycle goes full circle (everyone gets contracts under the new system), there will be a lot of money being thrown around. Teams will have to spend the money one way or another and it could take away the competitive angle from that sense. Like it or not, there was a competitive factor in how you gave contracts before. When Shanny was signing busts and cutting them a year or two later, we faced negative consequences for that. Now, it'll all be forgotten and forgiven at the end of a year.

Mediator12
07-16-2011, 02:07 PM
It seems like until this cap cycle goes full circle (everyone gets contracts under the new system), there will be a lot of money being thrown around. Teams will have to spend the money one way or another and it could take away the competitive angle from that sense. Like it or not, there was a competitive factor in how you gave contracts before. When Shanny was signing busts and cutting them a year or two later, we faced negative consequences for that. Now, it'll all be forgotten and forgiven at the end of a year.

Yes, but the really good news is that teams will no longer get stuck with dead money on players and players that perform will be able to take advantage of the need to pay players the floor. This will HElp the players who outperform their contracts from year to year and makes entirely too much sense. Teams that do not spend the cap minimum, will have to distribute the difference in what they did pay to the floor to the players at the end of the season. In essence, they can pay good performance bonuses to players on top of their contractual commitments. That is really good for both sides as it rewards performance and gives players a respectable salary as well.

enjolras
07-16-2011, 02:45 PM
This new structure honestly makes me wish Shannahan was back.

Requiem
07-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Mediator -- a great thanks. :)

SoCalBronco
07-16-2011, 02:59 PM
This new structure honestly makes me wish Shannahan was back.

Any cap structure makes me feel that way. ;D

Requiem
07-16-2011, 03:10 PM
SoCal, just be excited we got a lot of youth and some solid potential at many positions. This year probably won't be awesome, but give it this next draft and two fa periods and we could be solid.. A lot of it will be Tebow's progression, but with Fox a solid run game should support his development.

Broncos time!

SoCalBronco
07-16-2011, 03:15 PM
SoCal, just be excited we got a lot of youth and some solid potential at many positions. This year probably won't be awesome, but give it this next draft and two fa periods and we could be solid.. A lot of it will be Tebow's progression, but with Fox a solid run game should support his development.

Broncos time!

I am pretty excited about many things...including Tebow and yes, I know it will be a tough year.

Requiem
07-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Do you assume DJ is WOLB again? How do you feel about that?

SoCalBronco
07-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Do you assume DJ is WOLB again? How do you feel about that?

I don't think its an assumption...I think its pretty much a fact at this point. That's kind of what they've said, already on various occasions...and ofcourse that's a positive. That's one of the great positives any year...just to see him play, especially on the weakside.

There are some good things going on with this club...probably not enough to bring us to .500 immediately, but there are still some exciting things going on with the development of young players and whatnot. There's going to be a struggle for everyone involved to dig ourselves out of the mess Bowlen put us in, but that's what makes it fun, to see the renewal of the franchise with guys like Tebow and the very unique promise he brings. There's alot of guys I'm looking forward to seeing this year, its something to look forward to, even though we know the struggle that lies ahead.

Mediator12
07-16-2011, 04:21 PM
I think this will be the weirdest NFL year since the strike season. The late addition of rookies and Free agents will be totally unpredictable. New coaching staffs are totally behind the eight ball. All players with 4 years accrued will be UFA's. No OTA's. Possible abbreviated TC with new workout rules, including the restriction of 2 a day practices to once every three days and not more than 2 a week.

I think optimism has to be checked, even from last years great teams. I also think hope will be alive for teams with a chance to make themselves better through FA in the long run. The Premier FA's (guys who can play great in any scheme or system like Asomugha, Charles Johnson, Thomas davis, Johnathan Joseph, Brent Grimes, Cullen Jenkins, Barry Cofield, Brandon Mebane etc.) will be able to help their new teams right away. However, the pro player scouts are going to earn their money this year if they can get VET FA's and UDFA's who can come in and contribute in an offseason with no preparation before TC.

I think the incredible amount of change and expediency with TC will make this the most unpredictable year by the end and teams who are consistent year in and year out with different personnel like INDY, PIT, and PHI will have huge advantages early in the year. I am actually the most excited to watch NFL football as I have EVER BEEN ;D

NASurfer
07-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Damn. It looks like the Redskins will be getting all the big name FAs every single year.

It should be interesting to see with players qualifying for FA easier but making it easier for teams to retain also.

Kaylore
07-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Really the only teams that will be in cap hell, are those that do not restructure gauranteed money or cut dead weight veterans.

This isn't necessarily true. Since the new cap is going to be below what a few of the tops teams' salaries are, they are talking about giving them a break for just this year. Something in the range of 5-10 million to have until the rest of the cap catches up with their rosters, supposedly.

cutthemdown
07-16-2011, 05:39 PM
They can still string out the bonus money by making them reporting bonus, or roster bonus due when you report each yr. For the players though no more getting 20 million, getting hurt and keeping it all. You will probably still see big bonus money, but in reporting bonus, roster bonus etc. So the player will have to play good and be worth it to make the big money. I like. I like it a lot.

rugbythug
07-16-2011, 05:43 PM
They can still string out the bonus money by making them reporting bonus, or roster bonus due when you report each yr. For the players though no more getting 20 million, getting hurt and keeping it all. You will probably still see big bonus money, but in reporting bonus, roster bonus etc. So the player will have to play good and be worth it to make the big money. I like. I like it a lot.

What's nice about that is guys don't get to forget the 20pick mil they got upfront and claim to be underpaid 3 years into a 5 year deal.

That One Guy
07-16-2011, 05:48 PM
What's nice about that is guys don't get to forget the 20pick mil they got upfront and claim to be underpaid 3 years into a 5 year deal.

But rather than getting a SB, they'll get that money guaranteed. I guess maybe they can get out of the contract guarantees if a player holds out prior to the bonus being awarded?

Boomhauer
07-16-2011, 05:53 PM

If Cap and Payroll are to become one in the same, why is "every outlet" reporting two separate figures?
Cap = $120mil w/ some details
Payroll = $141mil
What makes these two different if you say they are not?

Mediator12
07-16-2011, 07:28 PM
This isn't necessarily true. Since the new cap is going to be below what a few of the tops teams' salaries are, they are talking about giving them a break for just this year. Something in the range of 5-10 million to have until the rest of the cap catches up with their rosters, supposedly.

Its a one player exemption worth 3 million right now, which would allow them to allocate 123 million at the top. 3 Mil is not a lot of help if teams do not restructure or alter the bonuses of a few top players counting against the cap this year.

Mediator12
07-16-2011, 07:30 PM
If Cap and Payroll are to become one in the same, why is "every outlet" reporting two separate figures?
Cap = $120mil w/ some details
Payroll = $141mil
What makes these two different if you say they are not?

The 21 million is to fund benefits for the players and the alumni going forward. The 120 Million is straight payroll new money to the players.

BroncoMan4ever
07-16-2011, 10:37 PM
People Keep applying the old cap rules to the new CBA. Stop It!

New Cap- Actual Dollars Spent in the League Year. No more prorating signing bonuses and other stuff. No more cap hits when you drop a player. There is no such thing as a Cap Hit. If you give a guy 40 Million in a Signing Bonus that is 40 million towards your cap that year.

From now forward all of the contracts are going to change. No more front loads that are prorated.

More incentive to Redo Deals with your own players. My guess is less players ever hit FA.

alright with the cap hit being a thing of the past now. does this mean teams can just release players and thats that. no more owed to the player or what is still owed to the player doesn't count against the cap?

Hulamau
07-16-2011, 11:41 PM
Yes, but the really good news is that teams will no longer get stuck with dead money on players and players that perform will be able to take advantage of the need to pay players the floor. This will HElp the players who outperform their contracts from year to year and makes entirely too much sense. Teams that do not spend the cap minimum, will have to distribute the difference in what they did pay to the floor to the players at the end of the season. In essence, they can pay good performance bonuses to players on top of their contractual commitments. That is really good for both sides as it rewards performance and gives players a respectable salary as well.

I like that!

Mediator12
07-17-2011, 07:05 AM
alright with the cap hit being a thing of the past now. does this mean teams can just release players and thats that. no more owed to the player or what is still owed to the player doesn't count against the cap?

Not quite. Gauranteed Money Bonuses count for the exact amount paid to the player in that year. You can still accumulate dead money based on the contract structure, you will just not see a 20 million signing bonus get amortized over 5 years with the cap or have Likely to earn incentives get you a credit for next year.

In short, it helps both sides be as fiscally responsible year to year with players getting a gauranteed dollar outlay in salary and remainder bonuses. It gives the FA less up front money and more incentive to earn his big contract year to year.

baja
07-17-2011, 08:04 AM
Not quite. Gauranteed Money Bonuses count for the exact amount paid to the player in that year. You can still accumulate dead money based on the contract structure, you will just not see a 20 million signing bonus get amortized over 5 years with the cap or have Likely to earn incentives get you a credit for next year.

In short, it helps both sides be as fiscally responsible year to year with players getting a gauranteed dollar outlay in salary and remainder bonuses. It gives the FA less up front money and more incentive to earn his big contract year to year.

Reward production. That's the way the rest of the business world works. Seems like a no brainer wonder why it took the NFL until 2011 to get around to it?

That One Guy
07-17-2011, 08:36 AM
I don't know if I can believe players really taking any risk for the possible reward of getting in on end of the year bonuses. Any money that really matters will be just moved from signing bonuses to guaranteed roster bonuses or something. I envision any end of the year money that needed to be spent would be put towards front loading big contracts rather than just giving out free money for good will.

Hamrob
07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Free Agency is going to be ridiculous this year. Why? because there were a ton (Like 80) guys who were going to be restricted free agents that are now unrestricted free agents. Add that to the pool of guys that were already available and then shrink the time teams have to get them signed and into camp. Crazy. I just hope we get guys that can help us this year.

That One Guy
07-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Free Agency is going to be ridiculous this year. Why? because there were a ton (Like 80) guys who were going to be restricted free agents that are now unrestricted free agents. Add that to the pool of guys that were already available and then shrink the time teams have to get them signed and into camp. Crazy. I just hope we get guys that can help us this year.

The expectation has to be that teams have been tampering their asses off. I think deals are going to fall into place quickly.

baja
07-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Is there a firm date when free agency starts yet?

ICON
07-17-2011, 11:16 AM

I think there will be some surprises this offseason. With the Bucs and Bengals having to spend 40 MILLION just to get to the floor of the salary cap they will be very busy.

Mediator12
07-18-2011, 09:20 AM
I don't know if I can believe players really taking any risk for the possible reward of getting in on end of the year bonuses. Any money that really matters will be just moved from signing bonuses to guaranteed roster bonuses or something. I envision any end of the year money that needed to be spent would be put towards front loading big contracts rather than just giving out free money for good will.

That is ONLY if teams spend below the salary floor. Most teams will still spend significantly above that, with a little bigger window to the top so they can spend on injury signings over the course of the year.

Mediator12
07-18-2011, 09:22 AM
I think there will be some surprises this offseason. With the Bucs and Bengals having to spend 40 MILLION just to get to the floor of the salary cap they will be very busy.

I am NOT sure that is right and it does not include them having about 6 FA's they still would like to resign IIRC. More contracts are escalating this year for those teams who were so below the 120 threshold last year. A lot of what is being reported as the "salary Cap figures" are last years rules.

gyldenlove
07-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Most guaranteed money under the last CBA was dished out as part signing bonus, part roster bonuses over the first 3 years of the deal. I think a structure like that will be prevalent for some teams under the new CBA to spread out bonus money a bit more evenly, this also prevents large fluctuations in expenses associated with signing large 1-time bonuses.

cutthemdown
07-18-2011, 10:48 AM

I agree it will make players more accountable for their play and actions off the field for the duration of the contract. Also i think it gives the home team better leverage to resign players, which IMO is good for fans. Sometimes we start to a love a player only to see him leave in FA because your team didnt want to give 15 million upfront.

That One Guy
07-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I agree it will make players more accountable for their play and actions off the field for the duration of the contract. Also i think it gives the home team better leverage to resign players, which IMO is good for fans. Sometimes we start to a love a player only to see him leave in FA because your team didnt want to give 15 million upfront.

It'll depend on the 'outs' that the team has. If you can dump the guy for being a turd and not have to pay guaranteed bonuses, it'll get better. If it stays as it was before where guaranteed money almost couldn't be touched despite the circumstances, it'll change nothing.

gyldenlove
07-18-2011, 02:10 PM
It'll depend on the 'outs' that the team has. If you can dump the guy for being a turd and not have to pay guaranteed bonuses, it'll get better. If it stays as it was before where guaranteed money almost couldn't be touched despite the circumstances, it'll change nothing.

That is the risk when you promise money to a player, unless that player clearly violates his contract there are very few ways to recoup money especially given the way teams liked to spread out guaranteed bonuses rather than just one fat check at signing.

The guaranteed money of contracts already signed was made guaranteed for skill and injury so even if a player was injured or sucked balls the guaranteed bonus would be paid only. Only in the event the player violated the contract or retired would the bonus be lost. Take Albert Haynesworths contract, he had a 20 million roster bonus guaranteed in year 2, they could have cut him but they would still be paying that 20 million dollar bonus, if they traded him his new team would have to pay that bonus - obviously no team wanted to pay that bonus and the Redskins didn't like the idea of paying 20 million dollars to a player who would be a free agent and go play for another team.

There is a world of difference between a non-guaranteed roster bonus and a guaranteed roster bonus.

That One Guy
07-18-2011, 03:10 PM
That is the risk when you promise money to a player, unless that player clearly violates his contract there are very few ways to recoup money especially given the way teams liked to spread out guaranteed bonuses rather than just one fat check at signing.

The guaranteed money of contracts already signed was made guaranteed for skill and injury so even if a player was injured or sucked balls the guaranteed bonus would be paid only. Only in the event the player violated the contract or retired would the bonus be lost. Take Albert Haynesworths contract, he had a 20 million roster bonus guaranteed in year 2, they could have cut him but they would still be paying that 20 million dollar bonus, if they traded him his new team would have to pay that bonus - obviously no team wanted to pay that bonus and the Redskins didn't like the idea of paying 20 million dollars to a player who would be a free agent and go play for another team.

There is a world of difference between a non-guaranteed roster bonus and a guaranteed roster bonus.

Agreed, just as the contracts continue to get closer and closer to fully guaranteed, it seems pointless to ever talk about someone having to earn their contract every year or such. The bulk of the contract is earned whether the player does anything or not. THAT is still the overall flaw in the system.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-18-2011, 03:55 PM
There are going to be a lot more trades now

RunSilentRunDeep
07-18-2011, 04:03 PM
A player isn't signed until the league approves it. I don't see how NFL headquarters is going to keep up.

Lev Vyvanse
07-18-2011, 04:43 PM
There are going to be a lot more trades now

That's what I was thinking. With no more dead money it will just be a matter of matching salaries (which isn't absolutely necessary like in the NBA).

Traveler
07-19-2011, 07:04 AM
The Broncos have 72 players on their roster and nearly $129 million in salary commitments. That's after releasing tight end Daniel Graham and defensive linemen Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams

Read more: Q&A: Broncos will have some juggling to do to get under NFL's new salary cap - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_18501898#ixzz1SYWMO0nc

According to this article, the Broncos are $9 million over the cap (with almost $12 million in dead money) and will have to make some adjustments.

Guess we aren't going to be players in FA afterall.

Mediator12
07-19-2011, 08:20 AM
According to this article, the Broncos are $9 million over the cap (with almost $12 million in dead money) and will have to make some adjustments.

I seriously think the reporters do not get it. First of all, the salaries listed do not jive with What is out there. Second, you do not count anyone over 53 players towards the cap. Preseason rosters are based on the top 45 salaries counting to keep teams legal until the top 53 players are selected. WTF is he talking about 72 player salary commitments?

Cmac821
07-19-2011, 09:50 AM
How much does Denver have to spend?

Hamrob
07-19-2011, 07:53 PM
I haven't heard exactly what we have...but, Mediator12 is correct. Only the top 45 count against the cap. I think we probably have a lot of room to do just about anything we want to. Legwold...or whatever his name is....doesn't know jack bone!

ICON
07-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Here is a list of players that I think may be cut, traded or asked to take a Haircut.

K Orton 7.379 mil in base + 1.5 mil roster bonus (traded)
D.J. Williams 4.9 mil in base (stays)
B Dawkins 6.0 mil in base (restructures)
R Hill 2.4 mil in base (gets cut)
M Haggan 1.93 mil in base (cut)
C Buckhalter 1.92 in base (cut)

That is a total of 26.029 million in those players alone.

schaaf
07-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Here is a list of players that I think may be cut, traded or asked to take a Haircut.

K Orton 7.379 mil in base + 1.5 mil roster bonus (traded)
D.J. Williams 4.9 mil in base (stays)
B Dawkins 6.0 mil in base (restructures)
R Hill 2.4 mil in base (gets cut)
M Haggan 1.93 mil in base (cut)
C Buckhalter 1.92 in base (cut)

That is a total of 26.029 million in those players alone.

I think all the players you listed are correct

Hamrob
07-19-2011, 08:50 PM
I just re-checked my facts. Only the top 51 salaries count against the cap. We're sitting at around $95m with the top 51 players on our roster. That means we are under the new salary cap by:

$25,000,000

We still need to sign draft picks, free agents and restructure deals...but, there you have it. Legwold isn't even close.

Here is a breakdown of everyones current salary.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/ (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/)

Elvis Dumervil at 14,000,000
Champ Bailey at 11,000,000
Kyle Orton at 8,979,000
Chris Kuper at 7,000,000
Brian Dawkins at 6,000,000
D.J. Williams at 4,900,000
Andre' Goodman at 3,880,000
Tim Tebow at 3,618,750
Ryan Clady at 3,105,000
Renaldo Hill at 2,400,000
Jabar Gaffney at 2,400,000
Kevin Vickerson at 2,000,000
Knowshon Moreno at 2,000,000
Mario Haggan at 1,930,000
Correll Buckhalter at 1,920,000
Demaryius Thomas at 1,637,500
Brandon Lloyd at 1,495,000
Robert Ayers at 880,000
Russ Hochstein at 865,000
Lonie Paxton at 865,000
Nathan Jones at 800,000
Jason Hunter at 715,000
Brady Quinn at 700,000
Daniel Coats at 640,000
Eddie Royal at 555,000
Chevis Jackson at 555,000
Spencer Larsen at 555,000
Steven Hauschka at 555,000
Joe Mays at 555,000
Richard Quinn at 480,000
David Veikune at 480,000
David Bruton at 480,000
Lendale White at 480,000
Darcel McBath at 480,000
Matt Willis at 480,000
Dan Gronkowski at 480,000
Eric Olsen at 409,000
Stanley Daniels at 405,000
Britt Davis at 405,000
Chris Clark at 405,000
Syd'Quan Thompson at 405,000
Cassius Vaughn at 405,000
Eric Decker at 405,000
Zane Beadles at 405,000
J.D. Walton at 405,000
Britton Colquitt at 405,000
Ben Garland at 405,000
Perrish Cox at 405,000
Jeff Byers at 330,000
Braxton Kelley at 330,000

Total 95,389,250 <!-- / message -->

alkemical
07-20-2011, 07:18 AM

I just re-checked my facts. Only the top 51 salaries count against the cap. We're sitting at around $95m with the top 51 players on our roster. That means we are under the new salary cap by:

$25,000,000

We still need to sign draft picks, free agents and restructure deals...but, there you have it. Legwold isn't even close.

Here is a breakdown of everyones current salary.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/ (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/yearly/)

Elvis Dumervil at 14,000,000
Champ Bailey at 11,000,000
Kyle Orton at 8,979,000
Chris Kuper at 7,000,000
Brian Dawkins at 6,000,000
D.J. Williams at 4,900,000
Andre' Goodman at 3,880,000
Tim Tebow at 3,618,750
Ryan Clady at 3,105,000
Renaldo Hill at 2,400,000
Jabar Gaffney at 2,400,000
Kevin Vickerson at 2,000,000
Knowshon Moreno at 2,000,000
Mario Haggan at 1,930,000
Correll Buckhalter at 1,920,000
Demaryius Thomas at 1,637,500
Brandon Lloyd at 1,495,000
Robert Ayers at 880,000
Russ Hochstein at 865,000
Lonie Paxton at 865,000
Nathan Jones at 800,000
Jason Hunter at 715,000
Brady Quinn at 700,000
Daniel Coats at 640,000
Eddie Royal at 555,000
Chevis Jackson at 555,000
Spencer Larsen at 555,000
Steven Hauschka at 555,000
Joe Mays at 555,000
Richard Quinn at 480,000
David Veikune at 480,000
David Bruton at 480,000
Lendale White at 480,000
Darcel McBath at 480,000
Matt Willis at 480,000
Dan Gronkowski at 480,000
Eric Olsen at 409,000
Stanley Daniels at 405,000
Britt Davis at 405,000
Chris Clark at 405,000
Syd'Quan Thompson at 405,000
Cassius Vaughn at 405,000
Eric Decker at 405,000
Zane Beadles at 405,000
J.D. Walton at 405,000
Britton Colquitt at 405,000
Ben Garland at 405,000
Perrish Cox at 405,000
Jeff Byers at 330,000
Braxton Kelley at 330,000

Total 95,389,250 <!-- / message -->

I'm confused. Is Champ @ 11 or 6mil?

tnedator
07-20-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm confused. Is Champ @ 11 or 6mil?

He has a 2011 salary of $6 million and 2011 bonus of $5 million, so if bonuses are no longer prorated, it would seem his 2011 number would be $11 million.

If guaranteed bonuses are still pro-rated, then I would say his 2011 number would be $7.25 million. I can't see any scenario where his 2011 number would be $6 million, short of the Broncos not paying him the 2011 bonus.

alkemical
07-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Thanks.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Med- There's a little confusion here. How is it that almost every NFL writer is on the same train of thought re: new cap structure? I've seen your work here and trust what you say. I'm just wondering why none of these guys have changed their thinking or math here in the last couple weeks.

Mediator12
07-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Med- There's a little confusion here. How is it that almost every NFL writer is on the same train of thought re: new cap structure? I've seen your work here and trust what you say. I'm just wondering why none of these guys have changed their thinking or math here in the last couple weeks.

First of all, I have not looked up the bonuses from the old contracts. Champ having a bonus due increases his Cap number a lot, and there simply may be more bonuses due this year with teams. I have straight salary calculations right now, and that is almost half his number in bonus.

Second, the structure is new and not really finalized until its signed. The part that is concerning me is the amount of new money that is allocated in bonuses THIS year from OLD contracts. The OLD money got washed, but why are there so many NEW bonuses due in THIS year?

The Third thing is the calculating cap number before TC and FA. This is exactly where its going to be a nightmare in FA. The FA signing review is all about teams NOT going over the cap to sign players. If so many teams are "up against the new cap", FA will be even more crazy with teams cutting and restructuring players already on the roster in order to sign FA's at all.

Finally, who actually counts against the cap. In years previous, the top 45 contracts counted during the offseason and TC in order to maintain the cap. Right now, reporters are using every player under contract which is something I have not seen at all.

Right now the gauranteed Bonuses on old Contracts is handicapping me. Also, why everyone is including players who will not be on rosters when the season starts and the cap counts? Those things are making it less clear than it should be right now.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Thank you. So, even with bonus numbers still floating out there, is it safe to say Denver has something in the ballpark of $15-25 million to reach that cap limit?

Mediator12
07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Thank you. So, even with bonus numbers still floating out there, is it safe to say Denver has something in the ballpark of $15-25 million to reach that cap limit?

No, not really. We will need to see what it looks like with all the bonuses and how many players to count on the Offseason Roster. Someone earlier said 51, and that was the first I had seen of that. Even then, those would be 400K contracts likely for 2.5 million extra to the cap.

What is really handicapping is not knowing who has gauranteed bonuses THIS year like Champ has coming. It just makes everything completely speculative.

Broncoman13
07-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Just heard on the radio this morning that the Broncos are right at their cap. Agent Peter Schaefer said the Broncos don't have a lot of room right now. They also said they expected the Broncos to create enough Caproom to sigh a "name" DT and a "name" RB.

Apparently bonuses are not being forgiven.

Rulon Velvet Jones
07-20-2011, 12:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6786350/reggie-bush-potential-cap-casualties

ESPN piece showing $1 million under before RFA tenders.

eddie mac
07-20-2011, 08:01 PM
No, not really. We will need to see what it looks like with all the bonuses and how many players to count on the Offseason Roster. Someone earlier said 51, and that was the first I had seen of that. Even then, those would be 400K contracts likely for 2.5 million extra to the cap.

What is really handicapping is not knowing who has gauranteed bonuses THIS year like Champ has coming. It just makes everything completely speculative.

It's been 53 for quite a few years Med. Legwold's reply to my question in the Post today seems to be counting all 72 players and near $20m in dead money from Bannan, Graham and Williams to get a salary number of $129m right now.

Clayton on ESPN is still counting previous prorated signing bonuses if you look at certain player salaries he's listing from other NFL teams when he's talking about players at risk of release.

Bailey was always going to be $11m because he has a base salary of $6m in 2011 and a 1st year signing bonus of $5m, under old cap rules his cap would only be $7.25m because the $5m SB would be prorated over the 4 year deal. Champ did not have any money left over from the old deal because it expired.

If you look at Legwold's $129m number

Take away the $12m dead money that may not be there at all

Then take away the 19 players at approx $350k per salary

You get a number closer to $110m

Denver's biggest cap number for 2011 belongs to star pass rusher Elvis Dumervil ($14.423 million). Behind him are cornerback Champ Bailey ($10.5 million), quarterback Kyle Orton ($8.879 million), guard Chris Kuper ($7.315 million), safety Brian Dawkins ($7.156 million), linebacker D.J. Williams ($6.632 million), cornerback André Goodman ($4.080 million), wide receiver Demaryius Thomas ($3.23 million) and quarterback Tim Tebow ($3.188 million).

Denver's "dead money" — cap numbers for players no longer on the roster — includes $4.996 million for Bannan, $3.25 million for Graham and $3.43 million for Williams.