PDA

View Full Version : days away from new NFL deal

tsiguy96
07-15-2011, 05:49 PM
new deal is on the brink of happening. there is quite literally no issues left that will derail the new deal, just some stuff left that needs to get figured out.

@judybattista
Last significant issue to be decided: how the Brady and TV contract lawsuits will be resolved. NFL on the brink of a new deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/15/almost-nothing-can-derail-a-deal-now/

now on to more important topics, is offseason mode over yet, or when a new deal is announced?

and also, now that the deal is almost over and essentially no major events have been missed (full training camp and preseason should happen), will this affect your approach to the NFL, how you will spend, attending games etc?

Tombstone RJ
07-15-2011, 05:51 PM
I do not like tom brady... assclown!

TheReverend
07-15-2011, 05:59 PM
now on to more important topics, is offseason mode over yet, or when a new deal is announced?

.......................see bold

Rock Chalk
07-15-2011, 06:01 PM
.......................see bold

You are still gay.

Oh and MacGruder owned you. Just an FYI :)

tsiguy96
07-15-2011, 06:07 PM
roto:

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that a Collective Bargaining Agreement is so close to finalization that a full preseason is expected for the NFL.
The August 7 Hall of Fame game is on schedule. "Many people believe an agreement in principle is actually done," reports Maske. "... There are very few issues that remain unsettled." Friday evening, NFL Network's Albert Breer reported that an agreement is expected "early next week," and "almost nothing can stop it now." ESPN's Chris Mortensen adds that the owners have "abandoned" the idea of rights of first refusal. Teams will receive a 72-hour window to re-sign their own free agents before the open market arrives.

Mogulseeker
07-15-2011, 06:09 PM
What is this, the sixth thread saying we're "days away for a deal"

That One Guy
07-15-2011, 06:10 PM
WTF is a 72 hour window good for? They have the entirety of the players contract to resign them.

EDIT: Nevermind, misread it. The 72 hour window is to resign potential free agents as soon as the lockout ends. Not for yearly FA practices.

That One Guy
07-15-2011, 06:10 PM
What is this, the sixth thread saying we're "days away for a deal"

But this one doesn't come from a strength coach so it really holds little weight.

TheReverend
07-15-2011, 08:34 PM
You are still gay.

Oh and MacGruder owned you. Just an FYI :)

Each of the first two sentences is as factually accurate as the other. :)

broncswin
07-16-2011, 12:09 AM
July 25th marks the start of free agency....let the good times roll!!

myMind
07-16-2011, 12:12 AM
Grant these addicts the serenity to accept the things they cannot change.
The courage to change the things they can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Doggcow
07-16-2011, 02:26 AM
GET IT ****ING DONE.

I'm tired of pretending like the Mariners have a chance to pull their heads out of their asses.

ghostofjosh
07-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Great...thank god

Jesterhole
07-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Soooo....on the 25th, we sign a running back and two DT's. If we can't improve this defensive line in some tangible way before the season, I'm going to explode.

Cito Pelon
07-16-2011, 08:44 AM
What exactly IS the rookie pay scale? All I see is something about length of contract, not $$$$ to be paid for each draft slot.

Hamrob
07-16-2011, 09:09 AM
What exactly IS the rookie pay scale? All I see is something about length of contract, not $$$$ to be paid for each draft slot.I don't think they can figure that out yet...because they are still negotiating the total cap numbers.

They're saying that $141m is the number for the total cap, w/$21m of that being in benefits...leaving $120m in overall cap room.

The first thing that needs to be established in regards to the rookie wage scale (which hasn't come out yet) is what % of the $120m will go to rookie's.

Once they agree to the $120m ($141m w/benefits), they can then agree to what % goes to rookies...and, then from there they can break it down by round.

There is speculation that each of the slots in the first to 2nd round will be given a price tag...and then the rest of the rounds will be negotiated using the rest of the monies available.

The thought is: The players will receive considerbly less than last year's rookies up front (first 4yrs), but they will also hit free agency quicker (5th year) and that their 2nd contracts will most likely be larger then they have been. Simply because there will be more oppurtunity to get those guys (bidding wars will ensue). Teams can retain their players, but only for top cash (top 10 picks will recieve the average of the top 10 players at their position, and the rest of the first round picks will receive the average of the top 25 players at their postion...for the 5th year. It is thought that the owners negotiated not to include the top 2 players at each position...when considering these calculations. That will help the average to be less.

GreatBronco16
07-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Great...thank god

LOL

Dagmar
07-16-2011, 09:51 AM
What exactly IS the rookie pay scale? All I see is something about length of contract, not $$$$ to be paid for each draft slot.

NFL Network's Jason La Canfora is hearing that Cam Newton, as the No. 1 overall pick, will receive a rookie contract worth roughly $35 million over five years in the new rookie wage scale.
Last year's No. 1 pick, Sam Bradford, received a six-year, $78 million contract with $50 million guaranteed. It will be interesting to see how much guaranteed money Newton gets. Our guess would be $22-25M. Obviously, it's a steep drop.

Is Cam Newton the first no. 1 pick in history to take a pay cut to play in the NFL?

Heyoooooooo! ;)

BroncsRule
07-16-2011, 09:56 AM

I read several days ago that first round rookies should expect to see a 40% reduction in their contracts compared to that same slot in last year's draft.

The savings to go towards a hike in the vet minimum for players with more than 6 years of experience.

gunns
07-16-2011, 10:00 AM
I read several days ago that first round rookies should expect to see a 40% reduction in their contracts compared to that same slot in last year's draft.

The savings to go towards a hike in the vet minimum for players with more than 6 years of experience.

Excellent. They should call it the Jamarcus Russell rule.

Durango
07-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Is Cam Newton the first no. 1 pick in history to take a pay cut to play in the NFL?

Heyoooooooo! ;)

That's good. It will save the Panthers at least 15 million after Newton busts.

Cito Pelon
07-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Sheesh, only 40%? The next CBA that should be negotiation fodder to go down in return for one less year on the rookie contract.

That One Guy
07-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Excellent. They should call it the Jamarcus Russell rule.

I really think he could've taken the title from Ryan Leaf for worst pick ever. We all suspected he was a bust when he was drafted but it's fun to look back now and see how terribly that turned out.

Dagmar
07-16-2011, 05:16 PM
The outstanding unresolved issues, according to sources:

• Players want restoration of $320 million in lost benefits from the 2010 uncapped season.

• Players want to limit use of the franchise tag on an unrestricted free agents to a one-time application. Previously, teams could use the franchise tag on a player on three separate occasions with significant increases on one-year guaranteed salaries for every additional year that the player was tagged.

• Settlement of the Brady antitrust lawsuit involving 10 named plaintiffs. The limit of franchise tags on all players could be the anchor to the settlement. That would result in named plaintiffs such as Drew Brees, Logan Mankins, Peyton Manning and Vincent Jackson not being subject to any free agent restrictions in 2012 if their respective teams do not sign them to long-term contracts.

• Workman's compensation. It has been an underpublicized and complex issue for the owners that has resulted in numerous lawsuits. Owners want players to file for workman's comp benefits in the state in which they played, if they suffered an injury. Currently, players have used California as a filing base if they can prove they suffered any injury during their career while playing in that state.

• Settlement of the television damages case stemming from U.S. District Judge David Doty's ruling that owners did not act in the best interests of players as directed by the previous CBA in creating "lockout insurance." The players have asked Doty to place $4 billion in escrow until the lockout is resolved but Doty has not ruled. It is possible the players will use this leverage to gain the $320 million in restoration of lost benefits from 2010.

But sources say the hope is that mediation will nudge the two sides to a final agreement in time for the players to vote to recertify as a union and approve an agreement Wednesday. Under that scenario, the owners would ratify the new CBA on Thursday at the meetings in Atlanta. According to sources, the two sides also could use Wednesday morning to finish their mediated negotiation session, if necessary.

Under a ratified agreement, teams would have an exclusive 72-hour window to negotiate contracts with their own free agents Friday before those players hit the open market at the start of league-wide free agency on July 25th.

One key concession made by the owners will effectively eliminate two-a-day practices during training camp as a health and safety issue that players termed critical to an agreement, the sources said. Teams will be allowed to have some helmetless and padless non-contact walk-through practices in lieu of a second training camp practice on the same day.

According to source, teams will also reduce offseason workouts from 15 on-field organized team activities (practices) to nine. Six of those nine practices must be helmetless. Players also will not be subject to reporting for offseason work with coaches until May 1, although one source said that date could be in mid-April. Previously, players could work with coaches beginning in March. March 15 was the designated date in 2011 before the lockout went into effect March 13.

Under the proposed 10-year CBA, players would get a split ranging from 48 to 46.5 percent of a simplified all-revenue model, the sources said. The lower 46.5 percentage would represent an increase in total dollars as revenues grow from new television contracts, as well as allowing credits if three new stadiums are constructed, including one in Los Angeles, where the NFL has not had a team since the 1994 season.

8 days until FA madness.

http://i.imgur.com/L8Rf6.gif

gunns
07-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I really think he could've taken the title from Ryan Leaf for worst pick ever. We all suspected he was a bust when he was drafted but it's fun to look back now and see how terribly that turned out.

It was fun, but I was referring to a number 1 overall, like Russell which is reason enough to down the rookie pay....for this years number 1, Newton.

ICON
07-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Here is a list of players that I think may be cut, traded or asked to take a Haircut.

K Orton 7.379 mil in base + 1.5 mil roster bonus
D.J. Williams 4.9 mil in base
B Dawkins 6.0 mil in base
R Hill 2.4 mil in base
M Haggan 1.93 mil in base
C Buckhalter 1.92 in base

That is a total of 26.029 million in those players alone.

Br0nc0Buster
07-16-2011, 09:01 PM
Here is a list of players that I think may be cut, traded or asked to take a Haircut.

K Orton 7.379 mil in base + 1.5 mil roster bonus (traded)
D.J. Williams 4.9 mil in base (stays)
B Dawkins 6.0 mil in base (restructures)
R Hill 2.4 mil in base (gets cut)
M Haggan 1.93 mil in base (cut)
C Buckhalter 1.92 in base (cut)

that is my guess in bold

BroncoMan4ever
07-16-2011, 10:28 PM
i call bull****.

i am sorry to be the Debbie Downer here, but seemingly every other day for like the last month and a half there has been substantial progress made and a deal is imminent, there is some crap that comes out the next day to call out there are still big issues to be resolved or the owners or players decided to play hard ball.

until it is signed and TC starts, I am not going to get excited.

BroncoMan4ever
07-16-2011, 10:30 PM

K Orton 7.379 mil in base + 1.5 mil roster bonus
D.J. Williams 4.9 mil in base
B Dawkins 6.0 mil in base
R Hill 2.4 mil in base
M Haggan 1.93 mil in base
C Buckhalter 1.92 in base

what's our cap situation looking currently? i know there is a nice chunk of dead money because of the deals to WIlliams, Bannan and Green that turned out to be bad ideas.

tsiguy96
07-16-2011, 10:51 PM
what's our cap situation looking currently? i know there is a nice chunk of dead money because of the deals to WIlliams, Bannan and Green that turned out to be bad ideas.

no more dead cap space with new CBA.

tsiguy96
07-16-2011, 10:52 PM
i call bull****.

i am sorry to be the Debbie Downer here, but seemingly every other day for like the last month and a half there has been substantial progress made and a deal is imminent, there is some crap that comes out the next day to call out there are still big issues to be resolved or the owners or players decided to play hard ball.

until it is signed and TC starts, I am not going to get excited.

and broncoman with the call!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/17/players-apparently-are-making-a-last-minute-power-play/

In theory, if the league calls the players’ bluff — and if it ends up not being a bluff — the whole thing could still blow up.

BroncoMan4ever
07-16-2011, 11:16 PM
no more dead cap space with new CBA.

how in the hell does that work then? does that mean the team doesn't owe Bannan, WIlliams, and Green now under this new CBA or the team still owes them, but it doesn't count against the cap anymore?

and broncoman with the call!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/17/players-apparently-are-making-a-last-minute-power-play/

:thanku::thanku::thanku:

called that ****.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-17-2011, 01:00 AM
how in the hell does that work then? does that mean the team doesn't owe Bannan, WIlliams, and Green now under this new CBA or the team still owes them, but it doesn't count against the cap anymore?

:thanku::thanku::thanku:

called that ****.

Not buyin it. Too much money is at stake and the major hurdles are cleared.

Beantown Bronco
07-20-2011, 10:22 AM
So......it's five days later and I was told there were no issues left. Weird.

I see a lot of backtracking in this article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nfllabor

tsiguy96
07-20-2011, 10:27 AM

they keep coming up with new ****, but PFT said the players are voting on hte CBA today and the owners tomorrow.

Mediator12
07-20-2011, 10:59 AM

Bean, your a good dude. But remember, these guys have to report 2-3 times a day in the twitter world we live in. These are the same guys who said a deal was done weeks ago, and had to backtrack. Now, they are reporting that its not done till its signed ;D Funny how getting burned has made them change their tunes in the middle of this. Everyone jumped on the "first one to report the lockout is over" story only to not get it done. Now, it's flat out damage control reporting.

It's all about saving every dollar in potential revenues, and if they get it done by FRI every dollar will be saved. Even if the football is sloppy as hell and the players get injured at a higher rate. Money has trumped effectiveness and a solid product. I tell you what though. The FA period next week is going to be like coaches hours M-W during the season. 6am-10pm for all the parties for several weeks!

BroncoMan4ever
07-20-2011, 12:01 PM
i still say someone is going to **** this deal in the ass and he lockout marches on.