PDA

View Full Version : Rupert Murdoch, owner of Fox News, NYPost, SkyTV, NOTW and others faces his own watergate

Chris
07-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Let me just start by saying that this is not intended to be a thread about politics (though I suspect it will devolve into one) so much as it is one about CRIMES. There's been so much news on this of late everywhere but the NYPost, the WSJ and Fox that I'm surprised there's been no mention at all of it on the mane. The massive amount of news means that it's hard to give the "be all end all" link so I'll try to summarise based on what I've read.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/7/8/1310129706561/News-Corporation-CEO-Rupe-007.jpg

In a nutshell, an investigation by the Guardian unearthed all of this after previous government and police inquiries went nowhere (the reason for this is now being investigated). Newscorp has been found to have done the following things:

News of the World (Newscorp owned tabloid and biggest paper in the UK) hacked into the voice mails of thousands of people including those of murdered children and dead soldiers families, in one instance giving false hope to the family of a dead girl after they deleted some of her voice messages.
Sunday times (another Newscorp owned paper) paid medical staff for medical records on the Ex-Prime Minister's son while he was in power. The son has cystic fibrosis.
The current prime minister hired the former editor of the News of the World (when these crimes were taking place) as his "Press Secretary" and has refused to apologise for it despite being warned by several people not to hire the man. The guy has since been arrested.
Newscorp paid off police in several instances for information, including the phone numbers of the royal family (they hacked into Prince Harry's voicemail)
Senior Newscorp executive deleted 'thousands' of emails as soon as he learned of a police investigation earlier this year. They also withheld information they had about crimes since 2007 until June of this year
Newscorp used ex-con private investigators to dig dirt on politicians, in effect blackmailing them so they could direct policy
Newscorp effectively "ordered" police to stay away from investigating a friend of one of its executives for murder
Newscorp repeatedly made payments between 100 and 600 000 pounds to people that discovered their phones had been hacked in exchange for their silence

That is just the tip of the iceberg. This all comes on the heels of Newscorp trying to purchase the remaining majority of British Sky Broadcasting, which would give them majority control of broadcasting in the UK.

Some background links:

Interactive timeline - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/interactive/2011/jul/09/phone-hacking-timeline

Full coverage - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/phone-hacking

Deliberately thwarting the investigation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14116786

'Newscorp hired known criminals' - Ex-PM Gordon Prown: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/world/europe/13hacking.html

Inkana7
07-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I saw something about this in TIME, I didn't know how far-reaching it was though.

Chris
07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
I saw something about this on TIME, I didn't know how far-reaching it was though.

Bout as far reaching as it could possibly be. It implicates newscorp, politicians including the current PM and the police.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-12-2011, 10:34 AM
This **** is pretty bad, but it really does happen in all the British tabloids. I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing continue past Murdoch and News of the World.

rugbythug
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Go directly to jail. Bet they are liberals.

TheReverend
07-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Despicable. Haven't they been trying to pass off these examples as the actions of individual over zealous reporters, too?

Smiling Assassin27
07-12-2011, 10:43 AM
If the dude or his media conglomerate committed a crime or multiple crimes, then let him/the appropriate people face charges, stand trial, and be held accountable for whatever the law prescribes. As an aside, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that this is the tip of the iceberg with respect to the media (general term, i realize) obtaining or attempting to obtain its information in illegal and unethical ways. It'll be interesting to see how entrenched and organizational these methods run within Murdoch's group.

alkemical
07-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Bout as far reaching as it could possibly be. It implicates newscorp, politicians including the current PM and the police.

I wonder what this means as towards the growing oligarchy.....

Archer81
07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
If the dude or his media conglomerate committed a crime or multiple crimes, then let him/the appropriate people face charges, stand trial, and be held accountable for whatever the law prescribes. As an aside, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that this is the tip of the iceberg with respect to the media (general term, i realize) obtaining or attempting to obtain its information in illegal and unethical ways. It'll be interesting to see how entrenched and organizational these methods run within Murdoch's group.

I agree with this. I would not be surprised if its a common practice with all media to pay for sources or "hacking" vm's.

:Broncos:

alkemical
07-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Hey, if you've got nothing to hide - there shouldn't be a problem...right? ;)

Kidding, sorta

baja
07-12-2011, 10:54 AM
This is why monopolies used to be illegal in the USA.

When one man controls that much of the media it is a formula for control.

read about William Randolph Hurst.

Beantown Bronco
07-12-2011, 11:02 AM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d9piTCfCofs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

alkemical
07-12-2011, 11:05 AM
This is why monopolies used to be illegal in the USA.

When one man controls that much of the media it is a formula for control.

read about William Randolph Hurst.

Rupert made a bad investment with Myspace - but if it would have "worked" - think about even more information flow.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Rupert made a bad investment with Myspace - but if it would have "worked" - think about even more information flow.

Horrible. Bought for 580, sold for 30. It was faulty from go though...terrible decision

Vegas_Bronco
07-12-2011, 11:12 AM
This kind of deceptive action has no financial value...this is pure control. As Tina Turner once said...whats love got to do with it?

alkemical
07-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Horrible. Bought for 580, sold for 30. It was faulty from go though...terrible decision

I guess they thought with the $ that Newscorp had, they could "right it".

they should have just killed the social networking aspect of it off - and just made it a record label.

Myspace Music.... make an mp3 player - charge people $1+ per download...

oh wait...

:D

Chris
07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Despicable. Haven't they been trying to pass off these examples as the actions of individual over zealous reporters, too?

Yes. They were "allowed" to do their own investigation and then assured everyone it was a single rouge journalist. What's come to light is this was really systematic.

I agree with what other people have said that some of these incredibly cynical tactics are likely not limited to NewsCorp. Having said that, it's my opinion that few will have tried to manipulate government to such an extent.

alkemical
07-12-2011, 12:24 PM
How fast does this disappear?

i remember when i was trying to dig up info on the Abramoff scandal, and when it looked like many more people were involved - it sort of "vanished".

Boo!

broncocalijohn
07-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Maybe they all get lucky and have the Casey Anthony jury on this coming case. To shut down the entire paper without just trying to reform it tells you that Murdoch knows there is so much in this that it became a complete disaster. Should be very interesting research.

Chris
07-12-2011, 12:37 PM
How fast does this disappear?

i remember when i was trying to dig up info on the Abramoff scandal, and when it looked like many more people were involved - it sort of "vanished".

Boo!

Different country. There's also so much that can be unearthed I don't think this goes away quickly at all. The sharks are in the water.

alkemical
07-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Different country. There's also so much that can be unearthed I don't think this goes away quickly at all. The sharks are in the water.

That's what I thought too about Abramoff.

ghwk
07-12-2011, 12:52 PM

I think you will find out how dirty they were in the US as well as those complicit with them on this one. Think about it, there is no reason for them to confine the practice to Britain. Remember also these guys have probably canned a lot of reporters in their time who didn't bow down to the blatent lies they spew in the name of being "fair and balanced". Those reporters now get to exact thier revenge and expose the things they couldn't before because the lid has now blown off this thing.

Centralized media control is the closest thing we have to the state sponsored media of the communist/dictator countries and anyone in our govt. who has advocated for Rupert and his global propaganda machine should be held accountable for the communization of Amerika.

Chris
07-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Best big picture analysis I've seen - http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/07/10/rupert-murdoch-s-dark-arts-hacking-scandal-hasn-t-vanquished-him-yet.html?obref=obinsite

ColoradoDarin
07-12-2011, 07:17 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d9piTCfCofs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dang it, I was going to say James Bond solved this already.

Drunk Monkey
07-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Murdoch drops bid for British Sky Broadcasting

LONDON (AP) — In a stunning retreat, Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. dropped its bid Wednesday to take full control of British Sky Broadcasting during what the prime minister called a political and media "firestorm" over phone hacking at one of the media baron's U.K. newspapers.
Murdoch stepped back from making potentially his biggest, most lucrative acquisition, accepting that he could not win British government approval of the takeover since the country's major political parties had united against it.

http://news.yahoo.com/murdoch-drops-bid-british-sky-broadcasting-141648396.html

That had to hurt

Captain 'Dre
07-13-2011, 12:16 PM

What?!? No "warm and fuzzy" feel-good story?!? ugh!~

Chris
07-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Talk about a beating. Great though... now let's see some arrests.

Chris
07-14-2011, 07:34 PM
This has now spilled to the US (fair point Rev). They're being investigated by the FBI for potentially hacking the phones of 9/11 victims.

On how this is a "watergate scale" scandal for Rupert Murdoch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/seealso/2011/07/us_view_how_a_uk_scandal_affec.html

On how Fox News is hardly touching it and actually joked about the fact - http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/fox-news-watch-avoids-news-corp-scandal-almost_b75808

TheReverend
07-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Have a free bump for justice!

Drunk Monkey
07-17-2011, 05:08 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/ex-murdoch-aide-brooks-arrested-police-chief-192102972.html

Ex-Murdoch aide Brooks arrested; Police chief out

LONDON (AP) — An intensifying voicemail hacking and police bribery scandal cut closer than ever to Rupert Murdoch and Scotland Yard on Sunday with the arrest of the media magnate's former British newspaper chief and the resignation of London's police commissioner.

Though the former executive, Rebekah Brooks, and the police chief, Paul Stephenson, have denied wrongdoing, both developments are ominous not only for Murdoch's News Corp., but for a British power structure that nurtured a cozy relationship with his papers for years.

**** just got real!!!

broncs2bowl
07-17-2011, 05:43 PM
What a boss, sad to see him go down

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Hope this POS and all of the "media" he owns go down in flames.

Fitting ending for a slime bag who's made a fortune peddling lies and misleading people.

Chris
07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
The second in command of the police has resigned

also just in... the first whistleblower for the hacking scandal has been found dead - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare

alkemical
07-18-2011, 11:55 AM
The second in command of the police has resigned

also just in... the first whistleblower for the hacking scandal has been found dead - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-of-the-world-sean-hoare

Hoare, who worked on the Sun and the News of the World with Coulson before being dismissed for drink and drugs problems, is said to have been found dead at his Watford home.

Hertfordshire police would not confirm his identity, but the force said in a statement: "At 10.40am today [Monday 18 July] police were called to Langley Road, Watford, following the concerns for the welfare of a man who lives at an address on the street. Upon police and ambulance arrival at a property, the body of a man was found. The man was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.

"The death is currently being treated as unexplained, but not thought to be suspicious. Police investigations into this incident are ongoing."...

Chris
07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Nice recap of comprehensive cover up by News Corp executives over the years

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/19/world/europe/19tactics.html

Murdoch is prepping for a US investigation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/18/news-corp-global-investigation-bribery

In anticipation of any legal action, Rupert Murdoch has begun assembling a crack legal team to represent him before the US authorities, suggesting he is readying himself for a bitter legal battle in America as a result of the phone-hacking scandal.

At the centre of the team is Brendan Sullivan, one of America's most experienced lawyers, who during 40 years in litigation has acquired a reputation for taking on difficult and sensitive cases. He represented Oliver North, the US marine corps officer, in congressional hearings over the Iran-Contra affair.

ghwk
07-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Could this piece of crap, lieing, false news creating, garbage organization finally be getting what it deserves? Arrest after arrest now, board of directors looking to strip stooge Rupert of his throne, hush money, corruption, dead whistle blowers, etc. etc. Next will be gambling and hookers. And yet the fair and balanced news network suggests we all just move along, no stery or anything to look at here.

What will epic fail and the rest of the brain freeze righties do when there is no false god to worship?

mhgaffney
07-18-2011, 10:57 PM
The bigger they are the harder they fall.

myMind
07-19-2011, 01:32 AM
This whole thing reeks of some "passing of the guard" situation.
The only way a puppeteer as wealthy and powerful as Murdoch falls, is by the hand of a rival or student. We briefly get a glimpse of the rot that runs public "dis"information, and within weeks the story will be gone like Kaiser Soze, or Permanente...or something along those lines.

The Sith are making moves.

Chris
07-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Live grilling of Rebekah Brooks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14193124

Murdoch was earlier

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Murdoch has managed, so far, to throw everyone under the bus while denying he knew anything illegal was happening in his empire. I doubt he's fooling anyone that matters.

Chris
07-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Murdoch has managed, so far, to throw everyone under the bus while denying he knew anything illegal was happening in his empire. I doubt he's fooling anyone that matters.

I liked this quote off the NYT comments section:

With USD11 Billion in cash inside Newscorp and two Sith Lords who resigned because they have not approved anything or heard anything and is therefore not involved (with one of them even arrested on token basis), the Murdoch family appears to be poised not to have approved anything or heard anything as well and henceforth will emerge as heroes for having rescued newscorp from the forces of evil.

Coincidentally we also have two Sith Lords who appear to have resigned from Scotland Yard, they resigned also because they have not approved anything or heard anything and is therefore not involved.

The case appears to be closed since the whistleblower cannot hear anything and say anything coz he is dead. When the whistleblower is buried the case is also buried. Long live the evil empire ........oops!

Kaylore
07-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Someone tried to slam a make-shift pie in Murdoch's face during the hearing

http://news.yahoo.com/man-rushes-rupert-murdoch-hearing-160244558.html

LONDON (AP) — A protester splattered Rupert Murdoch with white foam on Tuesday, interrupting a dramatic hearing in which the media baron told British lawmakers he was not responsible for a phone hacking scandal that has rocked his global empire.

TheReverend
07-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Someone tried to slam a make-shift pie in Murdoch's face during the hearing

http://news.yahoo.com/man-rushes-rupert-murdoch-hearing-160244558.html

What's a non "make-shift" pie?

OABB
07-19-2011, 11:41 AM
I have a hard time believing that the head of Fox News and huge campaign financier of George Bush would do anything suspicious or illegal. Certainly there would be nothing done by this man that would be dishonest with the public.

tnedator
07-19-2011, 12:19 PM
Glad to see the opinions on this aren't completely down partisan lines.

/sarcasm

Chris
07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Glad to see the opinions on this aren't completely down partisan lines.

/sarcasm

One person said similar things on the NYT. Thought this was a good response:

You may well think this scandal is being used by some parts of the media to undermine some of the right-wing media corporations of your country. However, whether this is the case or not, I think you miss the point that this is, in every sense of the word, a scandal. The phone hackings that have been going on are simply outrageous and I think it's very narrow minded of you to view this incident as simply being an overblown case of political one-upmanship.

The NOTW have hacked the phones the families of dead British solidiers, of a murdered schoolgirl, of various celebrities, and perhaps even the (American) families of those who died in the 9/11 tragedy. Such actions taken by the NOTW breached so many people's right to privacy simply in order to further their paper's ends. You might find this facet of the scandal a bore but many people want to know how this was allowed to happen and who is responsible. To reduce this case to a matter of the liberal media versus the conservative media is to hopelessy oversimplify the case and is to ignore the horrendous breach of human rights that has been going on over the last ten years by the NOTW.

tnedator
07-19-2011, 12:50 PM
One person said similar things on the NYT. Thought this was a good response:

Oh, I think the investigation is good and justified. Getting a scoop is no excuse for breaking the law.

I was referring to the usual suspects in WPR making remarks based on their typical partisanship.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-19-2011, 01:09 PM

He borrowed a page from the Saint Ron Iran-Contra playbook. :D

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Could this piece of crap, lieing, false news creating, garbage organization finally be getting what it deserves?

One can hope. ;D

What will epic fail and the rest of the brain freeze righties do when there is no false god to worship?

No worries - they'll still have Rehab Rush. :D

Garcia Bronco
07-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Unfortunately...he's not going down on this.

Chris
07-19-2011, 01:14 PM

I believe the Prime Minister has been going down on him for quite some time.

Pony Boy
07-19-2011, 01:57 PM
I have a hard time believing that the head of Fox News and huge campaign financier of George Bush would do anything suspicious or illegal. Certainly there would be nothing done by this man that would be dishonest with the public.

He's also the CEO of the National Geographic Channel, did that just slip you mind in your poor attempt at a political slam.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-19-2011, 02:26 PM
He's also the CEO of the National Geographic Channel, did that just slip you mind in your poor attempt at a political slam.

Rupert's political affliation is to the party of money. If left wing news made more money, fox news would be a left wing sensationlized channel tomorrow.

Pony Boy
07-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Rupert's political affliation is to the party of money. If left wing news made more money, fox news would be a left wing sensationlized channel tomorrow.

Hang in there the hope, the left wing news is going "big-time" Reverend Al Sharpton is reportedly being lined up to host a nightly talkshow on MSNBC.

Sharpton has guest-hosted MSNBC’s 6pm hour for the last two weeks while regular anchor Cenk Uygur was on vacation, but insiders now tell TV Newser that Sharpton is being considered to permanently take over the position.

http://newsone.com/entertainment/newsonestaff4/al-sharpton-msnbc-host/

Chris
07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeap MSNBC is a joke too. Watched it for the first time for a half hour last night. Pathetic that some people thought stooping to FOX's level was the only way forward.

TV news in general is pretty weak... I'll stick to Charlie Rose and papers / mags.

tnedator
07-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Yeap MSNBC is a joke too. Watched it for the first time for a half hour last night. Pathetic that some people thought stooping to FOX's level was the only way forward.

TV news in general is pretty weak... I'll stick to Charlie Rose and papers / mags.

Sorry, your statement shows how out of touch with reality you are. There is no comparison between Foxnews and MSNBC. That's a discussion for another thread, but you clearly are clueless in regards to the actual programming on Foxnews.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-19-2011, 02:57 PM
Sorry, your statement shows how out of touch with reality you are. There is no comparison between Foxnews and MSNBC. That's a discussion for another thread, but you clearly are clueless in regards to the actual programming on Foxnews.

For one, MSNBC still airs conservative programming. And while it employs people like Rachel Maddow, who make no apologies for their left wing beliefs, they aren't fear mongerers that completely make **** up.

Chris
07-19-2011, 03:17 PM

Fox is worse for sure... but take for example last night they mentioned that Sarah Palin's movie tanked and made only $75000 at the box office. They declined to mention that it was only playing in 10 theatres.

They seem similarly eager to smear (Sarah Palin is of course a dangerous idiot, but that's beside the point).

SonOfLe-loLang
07-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Fox is worse for sure... but take for example last night they mentioned that Sarah Palin's movie tanked and made only $75000 at the box office. They declined to mention that it was only playing in 10 theatres.

They seem similarly eager to smear (Sarah Palin is of course a dangerous idiot, but that's beside the point).

There's actually nothing remarkable about 75,000 in 10 theaters for an opening weekend. At all actually. Generally, for highly anticipated movies, the per theater average for a limited release is higher. Much higher.

For example...midnight in paris opened with a 99k per theater average its opening week.

ghwk
07-19-2011, 03:35 PM
There's actually nothing remarkable about 75,000 in 10 theaters for an opening weekend. At all actually. Generally, for highly anticipated movies, the per theater average for a limited release is higher. Much higher.

You could also argue they were being nice when they didn't mention it opened in only 10 theaters. I mean 10 theaters? Why freaking bother? :spit:

SonOfLe-loLang
07-19-2011, 03:54 PM
You could also argue they were being nice when they didn't mention it opened in only 10 theaters. I mean 10 theaters? Why freaking bother? :spit:

Most movies like that open very small. Any indie generally opens in like 2-4 theaters (just in NYC/LA) and then release to more markets pending on the interest of the first release. Obviously, big studio movies blast their product to tons of screens, but a 10 theater opening is generally par for the course for something like a Palin doc (and im sure those 10 theaters were in places where they figured an audience would want such a thing).

OABB
07-19-2011, 04:50 PM

I didn't know that.

I'm not sure how that matters to my commentary.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-19-2011, 05:41 PM
I didn't know that.

I'm not sure how that matters to my commentary.

Its not like he's running their day-to-day. Its just one of the many, many, many channels under the News Corp. banner.

rugbythug
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM

What would her movie be about.

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 06:35 PM
He borrowed a page from the Saint Ron Iran-Contra playbook. :D

Close enough. Reagan couldn't remember, Murdoch simply says he's not responsible.

People liked Teflon Ron, Murdoch, not so much.

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 06:37 PM

If any of the accusations regarding hacking 911 victims turns out to be true, he'll get pilloried on both sides of the pond.

I could see him resigning, but not much more than that.

baja
07-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Murdock is an evil man that owns a mida monopoly.

Monsanto is an evil global corporation with a mission to control the global food supply.

Fear Monsanto more.

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 06:59 PM

Fox is not "worse" than MSNBC.

You guys really should acquire some perspective.

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM

This is exactly right.

Murdoch, an Austrailian, saw an extremely large market of viewers in the US who were not being reached and he went out and made a product that they enjoy.

Its kinda sad when an Austrailian fills in the gaps created by the far left liberal-financed mainstream media here in the US.

The mainstream media isn't trying to meet the needs of a market, they are trying to manipulate a market that already existed through previous government regulation (frequency allotment - channels) and familiarity.

There is no doubt in my mind that a conservative-oriented channel that would bump out a major liberal stalwart (CBS, ABC, NBC) would dominate ratings.

cutthemdown
07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Murdoch way too powerful to get brought down by this. He will come out ok. His wife, man she smacked the crap out of that protesting pie thrower. I love it!

cutthemdown
07-19-2011, 07:07 PM
This is exactly right.

Murdoch, an Austrailian, saw an extremely large market of viewers in the US who were not being reached and he went out and made a product that they enjoy.

Its kinda sad when an Austrailian fills in the gaps created by the far left liberal-financed mainstream media here in the US.

The mainstream media isn't trying to meet the needs of a market, they are trying to manipulate a market that already existed through previous government regulation (frequency allotment - channels) and familiarity.

There is no doubt in my mind that a conservative-oriented channel that would bump out a major liberal stalwart (CBS, ABC, NBC) would dominate ratings.

People just are not unbiased. It's impossible to think media will be unbiased. The only way to go is to always know who you are watching. If it is Fox realize they will be trying to help the conservative issues take front stage. MSNBC, CNN, will be doing the opposite. I do think all the outlets report news, breaking events, it's just you have to know that none of them the end all on a topic or issue.

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 07:10 PM
This is exactly right.

LOL

He's a US citizen.

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 07:14 PM
People just are not unbiased. It's impossible to think media will be unbiased. The only way to go is to always know who you are watching. If it is Fox realize they will be trying to help the conservative issues take front stage. MSNBC, CNN, will be doing the opposite. I do think all the outlets report news, breaking events, it's just you have to know that none of them the end all on a topic or issue.

They all have agendas because they are all owned by these massive conglomerates who have their own business interests.

NBC is clearly the most extreme far-left institution in the mainstream media. They are owned by GE, who are given special favors by the Obama administration and even have high-ranking officials who have joined the Obama administration. Its the same kind of thing that liberals hated with Halliburton.

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
He's a US citizen.

No, he's a dual citizen.

Chris
07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
CNN tries its best to be objective, as does the BBC (hell the BBC conducts its own "bias" audits). The issue is not one of "slant" (though that is the opposite of what journalism).

Fox News tells many Americans what they want to hear by distorting facts to match opinions. A news outlet would do its best to provide all the facts first and add opinion / analysis on top of that, making the difference perfectly clear. Additionally any true news organisation should do its best to provide analysis from both sides, as CNN often does in its political coverage. Fox might bring left leaning people on, but they shut them up if they start to look like they're winning the debate.

My father is a life long republican and he's pretty much mortified by the existence of Fox News. It's not news by definition.

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 07:22 PM
CNN tries its best to be objective, as does the BBC (hell the BBC conducts its own "bias" audits). The issue is not one of "slant" (though that is the opposite of what journalism).

You've been hoodwinked.

The organization you have been hearing about being racist and sexist support a black man and two women for the presidency because they share perspective on the same issues.

When the "facts" stand contrary to reality, you should be asking questions.

Fox News tells many Americans what they want to hear by distorting facts to match opinions. A news outlet would do its best to provide all the facts first and add opinion / analysis on top of that, making the difference perfectly clear. Additionally any true news organisation should do its best to provide analysis from both sides, as CNN often does in its political coverage. Fox might bring left leaning people on, but they shut them up if they start to look like they're winning the debate.

You should start paying more attention to what you are watching. Ask yourself why these outlets are covering the things they are covering, why they omit certain stories, and why they present different types of stories with the specific emotional timbre that they do.

My father is a life long republican and he's pretty much mortified by the existence of Fox News. It's not news by definition.

Everyone should be mortified by how extreme far-left the mainstream media has become, and any person who is a modern conservative should value free speech.

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 07:23 PM
No, he's a dual citizen.

Wrong again. keep trying! Ha!

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Wrong again. keep trying!

I believe that he also has citizenship in Britain and maybe even Canada, but I was only writing about his relationship to the US.

He was born in and lived in Australia, and I believe he went to school at Oxford.

Chris
07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
epic I respect you but I grew up in a different country and have lived in three. Unless there is a global conspiracy going on I see a consistency in the way news is covered.

I don't mean to sweep your opinion into a mass generalisation but I think this kind of "everything you've been told is a lie" mentality is a direct result of murdoch pumping the "whatever people want to hear" message in the US for a decade plus.

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 07:31 PM
I believe that he also has citizenship in Britain and maybe even Canada, but I was only writing about his relationship to the US.

He was born in and lived in Australia, and I believe he went to school at Oxford.

You got that right. The rest is nonsense!!

Have you ever admitted you're wrong?

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 07:39 PM
epic I respect you but I grew up in a different country and have lived in three. Unless there is a global conspiracy going on I see a consistency in the way news is covered.

I don't mean to sweep your opinion into a mass generalisation but I think this kind of "everything you've been told is a lie" mentality is a direct result of murdoch pumping the "whatever people want to hear" message for a decade plus.

America is a traditionally cultural and politically conservative country. The news media in the US has been left of center for my entire lifetime. Those things do not match up. Being from another country, you were probably conditioned, through American media (music, TV, film, etc) to believe that America was pretty liberal. It just isn't that liberal at all, especially between California and NY. What you see on TV does not reflect the populace of the country. There's a reason why country music is the most popular genre in the country. There's a reason why Rush Limbaugh is a millionaire (is he a billionaire yet?). There's a reason why American Football and Nascar are the most popular sports.

The problem with modern liberals is that they insulate themselves in their own media cocoons. The mainstream, Jon Stewart, internet sites like MSN.com and Huffington Post, etc, are all pretty significantly left on the spectrum. Ironically, Jon Stewart is the only one who even tries to subtly suggest to his audience that he may be biased at times, despite the fact that he's the one who is probably the most fair.

Liberals do not know or understand conservative issues. They hear about them and are immediately thrown off like they don't understand. This is a big problem, because a majority of the united states is just a tad right of center. Liberals in general do not feel that they should even consider conservative issues. They don't want to hear about them, they don't want to read about them, etc. The far left has become a closed-off echo chamber where conservatives are treated like enemies to be attacked at all times, no matter what the issue. For years, liberals have been uncompromising in their zeal for alienating themselves from conservatives, becoming incapable of compromise and incapable of allowing a peaceful interaction between political parties. This has culminated in a climate where ideologues like Bill Maher, Olberman, and Maddow can say dispicable things about conservative women and liberals just join in the chorus. This has resulted in a climate where the overreaction by a far-left extremist media executive can cause an entire movement of liberals who create some idiotic "violent rhetoric" narrative because they wanted to use the shooting of one of their own party members as a subversive attack on a person who was in no way even tangentially related to the event....just to try to ruin her image. That's pretty sick.

Its time for people who watch the mainstream media to start realizing what those who abandoned it long ago have realized...it's biased. Not maybe. Not almost. Egregiously biased.

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
You got that right. The rest is nonsense!!

Have you ever admitted you're wrong?

I wasn't wrong, lame-o.

We were talking about the US.

But keep on with your little political attack tangent though. Its cute. And it means you don't have to talk about the issues raised.

Requiem
07-19-2011, 08:13 PM
^ Fat.

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 08:15 PM
I wasn't wrong, lame-o.

We were talking about the US.

But keep on with your little political attack tangent though. Its cute. And it means you don't have to talk about the issues raised.

LOL

Of course you were wrong, he's a US citizen, not a duel citizen, not a Brit, not a Canadian. You're still trying to bs your way through your ignorance......as usual.

"Political attack tangent"?? WTF are you talking about?? :spit:

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 08:16 PM
LOL

Of course you were wrong, he's a US citizen, not a duel citizen, not a Brit, not a Canadian. You're still trying to bs your way through your ignorance......as usual.

"Political attack tangent"?? WTF are you talking about??

Dude, you need some reading glasses.

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Dude, you need some reading glasses.

You're right. He's not an Australian either. Hilarious!

DivineBronco
07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
epic I respect you.

wow you clearly don't read enough of his stuff

epicSocialism4tw
07-19-2011, 08:35 PM
You're right. He's not an Australian either.

He wasn't born in Australia?

Inkana7
07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Llama is like the Goebbels of insane Right Wing ideology on this site. It's amusing to watch unfold.

Requiem
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Pullin' a hot dog up through the deuces.

DenverBrit
07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
He wasn't born in Australia?

Obtuse as ever.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-19-2011, 10:13 PM
This is exactly right.

Its kinda sad when you think our media is liberal. If the media was liberal, we wouldnt be discussing half the **** we discuss on a daily basis in this country.

Br0nc0Buster
07-19-2011, 10:18 PM
wow you clearly don't read enough of his stuff

I was about to say the same thing
Im not sure if "respect", and the nonsense he posts should ever go together.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-19-2011, 10:18 PM
You've been hoodwinked.

The organization you have been hearing about being racist and sexist support a black man and two women for the presidency because they share perspective on the same issues.

When the "facts" stand contrary to reality, you should be asking questions.

You should start paying more attention to what you are watching. Ask yourself why these outlets are covering the things they are covering, why they omit certain stories, and why they present different types of stories with the specific emotional timbre that they do.

Everyone should be mortified by how extreme far-left the mainstream media has become, and any person who is a modern conservative should value free speech.

You are delusional

Pony Boy
07-20-2011, 07:50 AM
In 1985, media magnate Rupert Murdoch renounced his Australian
citizenship and became a U.S. citizen and so was able to comply with
the U.S. law that prohibits foreign ownership of television stations.
This very wise business move helped Mr. Murdoch build a global
entertainment empire that includes among its many subsidiaries the
20th Century Fox studios.?

alkemical
07-20-2011, 08:09 AM
In 1985, media magnate Rupert Murdoch renounced his Australian
citizenship and became a U.S. citizen and so was able to comply with
the U.S. law that prohibits foreign ownership of television stations.
This very wise business move helped Mr. Murdoch build a global
entertainment empire that includes among its many subsidiaries the
20th Century Fox studios.?

Fox TV and Fox movies are soooo right wing too aren't they. ;)

Drunk Monkey
07-20-2011, 08:41 AM

I share your fathers opinion on that matter.

TonyR
07-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Balzac supposedly wrote that “behind every great fortune lies a great crime”. It would be truer to say that behind every great fortune there is a psychological aberration. Henry Ford hated Jews. George Eastman sanctioned industrial espionage. Thomas Watson turned IBM into a personality cult, complete with company songs about “our friend and guiding hand”, a man whose “courage none can stem”. Michael Milken, the inventor of junk bonds, was jailed. Richard Tedlow of Harvard Business School argues that many “giants of enterprise” suffer from what Norwegians call stormannsgalskap, the madness of great men.

http://www.economist.com/node/18986490