PDA

View Full Version : OT: New rookie salary info

IHaveALight
07-10-2011, 10:32 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820b3c8e/article/rookie-salary-system-a-major-discussion-point-as-talks-roll-on

Some interesting stuff here.
I like the ideas of greatly reducing the top 8 pay outs and requiring players to play 3 years before re-negotiating. If the NFL can get that from the players then they should definitely be willing to budge on the 5 year contracts.

Sorry for interrupting all the talk about Obama, pictures, posters, video games and MacGruder bashing. Hopefully we can keep this on the main page for a minute before going to the butt though. :pray:

That One Guy
07-10-2011, 10:52 PM
I think the 5 year thing is lame. If you want to make them play for peanuts (compared to what top picks make now), why require them to sign to long contracts from the start? You will know after 3 years the quality of a player just as you would after 4. The idea shouldn't be to make them play on underpaid contracts just as a remedy to them being overpaid. It should be a fair contract. 4 years satisfies the requirement of a trial period just fine.

Cmac821
07-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I'll worry about it later, right now I want offseason

Boomhauer
07-11-2011, 04:35 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820b3c8e/article/rookie-salary-system-a-major-discussion-point-as-talks-roll-on

Proposals likely from article:
~ Top-8 deals for 5yrs with 5th yr including triggers pushing salary to 150% of league average.
~ Remaining 1st Rnd deals at 5yrs, or 4yrs+club option for 5th yr at top dollar.
~ 2nd-7th Rnd deals at 4yrs. No renegotiations for all draft picks until after 3yrs.
~ CFA deals at 3yrs. No renegotiations until after 2yrs.

There's nothing there I disagree with, but another proposal for rookie salaries I strongly disagree with.

Kaylore
07-11-2011, 05:15 AM
I think the 5 year thing is lame. If you want to make them play for peanuts (compared to what top picks make now), why require them to sign to long contracts from the start? You will know after 3 years the quality of a player just as you would after 4. The idea shouldn't be to make them play on underpaid contracts just as a remedy to them being overpaid. It should be a fair contract. 4 years satisfies the requirement of a trial period just fine.

I agree. I think the players are right on this. Granted, they will still be making a lot more than other rookies, but if they are great players, as many will end up being, it is unfair to not compensate them for that once they've paid their dues.

cmhargrove
07-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Two thoughts - a floor of $6 mil, and a cap of $12 mil is certainly fair compensation for high picks just working their way into the league. Sounds fair to me.

I am interested in the rest of the picture, including veteran minimums, and teams having to spend X% of their cap. That will be interesting to see how it influences future contracts.

Boomhauer
07-11-2011, 06:27 AM
I am interested in the rest of the picture, including veteran minimums, and teams having to spend X% of their cap. That will be interesting to see how it influences future contracts.

I don't see how teams can be required to spend 85-90% of cap, unless the profit sharing between teams is significant. If the cap is low enough that the top 10-12 marque teams are always over, like with the NBA, and that money goes to basement teams to reach the cap - OK - but if the cap is set near marque levels, the spending requirement should be lowered to around 75% of cap.

TheChamp24
07-11-2011, 07:46 AM
I think they should have the rooks sign a small contract for 3 years, and give the original team the power to resign or gain a comparable draft pick for losing the player determined by qualifiers similar to baseball.

Mediator12
07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I agree. I think the players are right on this. Granted, they will still be making a lot more than other rookies, but if they are great players, as many will end up being, it is unfair to not compensate them for that once they've paid their dues.

Except a lot of them suck balls for at least a few years, contribute even less, while getting paid like an all-pro veteran, even with the NEW contract style. A lot of this is pure resisitance to Change IMHO.

I still think entry level employees DO NOT need to earn huge money, including guys like Suh who were certainly going to be almost the best player at his position coming into the NFL and DID contribute right away. He should have the right to renegotiate after 3 years though and should get an opportunity for more money then and only then. Too many one year wonders and not enough 3 year starters in that first round right now.

I just hate the rich get richer mentality of rookies. The top guys are certainly the best prospects, but rarely become the top players in ANY draft class over the course of their first contract. Almost as many UDFA players become starters as first rounders in the first 3 years of their careers over the last 10 years IIRC. I just hate overpaying entry level personnel, especially when half of them will never come close to earning their rookie money. I still wish the gap was nowhere near as large between the top and bottom earners in the NFL. Peyton Manning makes more than his entire OL in endorsements, yet he will outearn them all about 5 to 1 once he signs his new deal. I think that sucks, even though he does deserve top level money, he does not deserve to make 25 times more than the guys (kind of) protecting him ;D