PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car. Looking for advice.

Jesterhole
07-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Have a 2000 Ford Mustang and she's just about had it. Loved the car, and never had a problem, but don't want another mustang.

Looking for something 4 door but still sporty, manual, that sticks to the road and has instant acceleration.

Test drove a 2008 Audi A4 today and it was nice. 23.5K. Seemed like there was a delay between when I tried to speed up and when it actually kicked in, and I didn't like that. Other that that, I would be happy with it.

Going to drive some BMW 3's this week, and then try and decide. I'd like to stay under 40K, so that puts the A5's out of my reach unless I can find a steal. Don't want a convertible or a 2 door.

My friend has a Mazda Speed 3 hatchback that he really likes. I've ridden in it a bunch, but don't think a hatchback it my style.

Any suggestions?

Jay3
07-09-2011, 02:19 PM
I love the Subaru WRX. Turbocharged, and the STI model is over 300 hp. That boxer engine and AWD drive absolutely sticks to the road.

Pretty good bang for your buck. The car's got everything but large size.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza-wrx/index.html

Jay3
07-09-2011, 02:22 PM
And Vin Diesel says I'm right.

http://youtu.be/YiePdLlDjqs

Doggcow
07-09-2011, 02:25 PM
I love the Subaru WRX. Turbocharged, and the STI model is over 300 hp. That boxer engine and AWD drive absolutely sticks to the road.

Pretty good bang for your buck. The car's got everything but large size.

http://www.subaru.com/vehicles/impreza-wrx/index.html

I love them Suby's too. Going to be the next car I buy.

Sporty, not over the top, priced well for everything you get.

Quoydogs
07-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I love them Suby's too. Going to be the next car I buy.

Sporty, not over the top, priced well for everything you get.

WRX With the chip and a 6 speed, some BFG street racing tires will raise the hair on the back of your neck.

91BRONCO
07-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Have a 2000 Ford Mustang and she's just about had it. Loved the car, and never had a problem, but don't want another mustang.

Looking for something 4 door but still sporty, manual, that sticks to the road and has instant acceleration.

Test drove a 2008 Audi A4 today and it was nice. 23.5K. Seemed like there was a delay between when I tried to speed up and when it actually kicked in, and I didn't like that. Other that that, I would be happy with it.

Going to drive some BMW 3's this week, and then try and decide. I'd like to stay under 40K, so that puts the A5's out of my reach unless I can find a steal. Don't want a convertible or a 2 door.

My friend has a Mazda Speed 3 hatchback that he really likes. I've ridden in it a bunch, but don't think a hatchback it my style.

Any suggestions?

I have a great car for you- Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport with 6mt (7 speed auto available as well). Just go drive one. While it may not be the most luxurious it will definitely put a smile on your face without having to pay through your teeth. I might recommend a Lexus IS but they are pretty small and a manual may not be available with the bigger engine that you will surely want.

My 03 G35 6mt sedan is still running strong and fast as hell for a 4 door. Seriously, just go test drive one...

Edit- STI or an EVO are always fun but can be pretty small for 4 doors- the cars you are looking at are bigger so I don't know if either would work for you...

Willynowei
07-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Any suggestions?

You talking about the M3 or the 3 series?

Look, ultimately you're not going to be driving this thing on the track, am I right? An A4 or an M3 are both more than enough for "sticking to the road," a competent driver in those vehicles can beat a super car around the track anyday.

Remember, there's the chick factor. Any girl that knows a little bit about cars will be impressed with an EVO/STI. But even the ones who don't know anything about cars will be impressed with an A4/M3.

Stick with the name brand dude, it might help you get a chick or promotion, that's all I'm saying.

91BRONCO
07-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Used CTS-V??? Big pimpin man- Corvette engine (LS6 or 7?) in a sedan- what's not to like? haha

Drunk Monkey
07-09-2011, 03:06 PM
I have a great car for you- Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport with 6mt (7 speed auto available as well). Just go drive one. While it may not be the most luxurious it will definitely put a smile on your face without having to pay through your teeth. I might recommend a Lexus IS but they are pretty small and a manual may not be available with the bigger engine that you will surely want.

My 03 G35 6mt sedan is still running strong and fast as hell for a 4 door. Seriously, just go test drive one...

Edit- STI or an EVO are always fun but can be pretty small for 4 doors- the cars you are looking at are bigger so I don't know if either would work for you...

Totally agree, I have an 04 with the sports package. Love it. I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off.

91BRONCO
07-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Totally agree, I have an 04 with the sports package. Love it. I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off.

Word up brother! That car took the driving torch away from the 3 series if you ask me. 6mt Sedan as well? That combo sure is hard to find.

Drunk Monkey
07-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Word up brother! That car took the driving torch away from the 3 series if you ask me. 6mt Sedan as well? That combo sure is hard to find.

Na, auto. Swore off mt after dealing with LA traffic for 5 years. It still has plenty of kick. Great car.

DHallblows
07-09-2011, 04:00 PM
For the love of god don't get a WRX. Do you really want to be "that guy"...the douche who drives a black, 12" high spoiler, turbocharged WRX?

Bronco Yoda
07-09-2011, 04:49 PM
http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://jamesptaylor.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/ford-pinto.jpg&sa=X&ei=zegYTq6CDcnRiAKXos3RBQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNFfNGk3r3UOUPTNZ8zJ6MMFbfYZmg

Jay3
07-09-2011, 05:00 PM
For the love of god don't get a WRX. Do you really want to be "that guy"...the douche who drives a black, 12" high spoiler, turbocharged WRX?

Unfortunately, under the rules here, you must now reveal what you drive.

Rother8
07-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I drink my own urine.

Broncoman13
07-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I have a G35 Coupe but test drove the Sedan as well, both have a lot of get up and go. While you won't have the clutch action like you would in a MT, the automatic does give you quite a bit of versatility. I would highly recommend a G35 or 37. You can definitely find one well under your price range too.

Another option is a Nissan Maxima. We had one about 5 years ago, plenty powerful and very smooth handling.

cutthemdown
07-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Any suggestions?

Hyundai Genesis OOops didnt see the manual tranny, i think its mostly a luxury sedan, prob no stick shift,

tsiguy96
07-09-2011, 05:33 PM

yep. under bylaw 13.2 section IIa addendum B.

srphoenix
07-09-2011, 05:43 PM
G35's are great cars, the VQ engine has been around for a good deal of time and Nissan has used it in everything from sports cars (the Z) to minivans and sports sedans. I'm of course biased to the Evo X (see avatar on left). Easy to mod (if your into that), great drivability, once tuned 27-28 mpg freeway, 4 doors, awd, and cheap and easy maintenance.

Other cars I looked at before I chose the Evo X were e46 M3, 1st gen CTS-V, and C5 Corvette Z06 (400hp, weighs almost nothing, faster than any C6 vette that isn't a Z06 or ZR1)

Boobs McGee
07-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Lot of subie misinformation here....

First off, the wrx's and sti's are extremely fast cars, but they have turbo lag. SO, if you want INSTANT low end torque, you're going to have to wait a second or two until the turbo kicks in. Obviously, if you have a manual, you can rev it up a bit before launch to remedy this problem, but that's what happens with a turbo. There are a ton of mods you can do (chipping isn't one of them), and some of them will reduce that lag, but unfortunately, they weren't built with a lot of low end torque. I will say, however, once the turbo spools you'll be flying by the competition.

As far as the wrx goes, that's not the one with the giant spoiler...you're thinking of the sti...so technically, you wouldn't be THAT guy. Even so, the newer models are a little more tasteful.

I just recently purchased a 2006 legacy 2.5 gt limited, and it's a really fun car. Basically the same 250 horse engine as the wrx, but it has a lot more creature comforts..kind of a "grown up" wrx.

Anywho, subaru's are an excellent choice in terms of reliability and resale, but test drive a couple to see if you can deal with the turbo lag. Remember, you'll be buying premium gas and getting >25 mpg if you can deal with that. Super fun cars.

Boobs McGee
07-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Oh and if you liked that speed3, they also make a speed6 that's a pretty badass sedan.

80smith
07-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Test drive the CC. Its a nice car and the incentives, 3 years maintenance and 0% finance, are worth a look

peacepipe
07-09-2011, 06:17 PM
lincoln mkz hybrid gets 41 city 36 highway. (i don't have backwards)

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2011/03/07/2011-lincoln-mkz-hybrid-review/

We put close to six hundred miles on the odometer of our Ingot Silver Metallic review unit, scoring an average of 37.8 MPG on the Interstate highway and 38.3 MPG combined

Jesterhole
07-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the advice guys!

Looked into the Infinity G7. Nice looking car, but it doesn't look like they make a manual sedan, and I couldn't stand to drive an automatic.

After thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure I want 6 cylinders, instead of a turbo charged 4. The one thing that I've love about my mustang over the years is that I've felt I've always been able to accelerate when I've wanted to, so that's just how I drive.

Pretty sure the other thing I'll have to have is AWD. The worst thing about my car has been a rear-wheel car with little weight is terrible for things like rain, ice, or turning.

Going to check out the BMW 328 and 335 stuff this week. The WRX sounds nice if I can get a spoiler free version =P

DHallblows
07-09-2011, 09:47 PM

yep. under bylaw 13.2 section IIa addendum B.

Those goddamn bylaws always catching up with me...

I'm not sure which direction you're hoping I'll go: I have a douchier car than a WRX (SRT-4s maybe ???) or something gay like a Prius?

Nothing exciting, a 2007 Carolla. My 2000 Grand Am died this Winter :(

ghwk
07-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Man up grow a pair and buy a used Prius! ROFL!

broncosteven
07-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Any suggestions?

I have close to 110k on my 2002 3 series BMW, I love the car and I am hoping to get 250k and another 12 years out of it. I don't need all those in dash GPS and DVD players I get enough enjoyment out of driving the car.

I did recently have to do some suspension maint on it as the bushings were worn in the front and the rear springs were cracked, the year before I put new Bilstein (sp?) shocks all the way around. My friend turned me on to his mechanic who is keeping his (my Friends) A4 running. The A4 has over 150k miles on it, he may be closer to 170k I can't remember.

I like the no maint (other than tires and gas) you get from the BMW dealer, I think VW's are the same. Plus I got a 15% savings card in the mail from the dealer which I used on some of the suspension fixes. I never expected to get a discount card on service for a BMW dealer esp on a car that is 9 years old. I hope it is still valid when the 120k service comes around, some things I have the independent guy do but there are things I feel better about the dealer doing and it would be nice to save a couple bucks when that service rolls around.

I did get to drive a new 325CXI(?) as a loner and I prefer my car, the interior is lame and looks cheaper than mine and I prefer the way mine handled. Plus the throttle response was way different than mine, it seemed to lag just like you said about the A4. Plus everything seemed so dependent on the electrical system and computer, to start the car you had to insert the fob, press the break then hit the start button. I wasn't impressed, maybe it is more difficult to hot wire that way? dunno. Over all I would look at the 2012 3 series options and pull the trigger again in a heartbeat.

I did put ceramic aftermarket breaks on it because the break dust on the front wheels was a pain to clean. You don't get the bite of the OEM pads but you don't get the dust and the pads and the rotors were way cheaper. I joined a good BMW forum and get part deals through them which I take to my indepent mech to install. I do my own tuneups via a Chilton book I get from the library when I need it and I have done other small fixes, plus with joining a BMW forum you get an idea of the small issues that do pop up for example my year model had an issue with the back tail light assembly but I found a fix to wire a ground and sourced the parts and did it all my self for around $20 plus 30 minutes of my time.

People that say owning a German luxury car is too expensive to maintain either haven't shopped around for tips/a good certified BMW independent mech/parts. Sure they get expensive once the warranty wears out and you rely on the dealer to fix everything but that is the same with any car that you take to a dealer. If you research the car, and see what other people encounter they last much longer. Mine still feels like it did the day I pulled it off the lot and I have no regret nor do I lust after the new models I am content to drive this baby another 8 years until my daughter needs a car and then I might get an 80's 7 series for myself.

Good luck!

broncosteven
07-09-2011, 10:56 PM

Looked into the Infinity G7. Nice looking car, but it doesn't look like they make a manual sedan, and I couldn't stand to drive an automatic.

After thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure I want 6 cylinders, instead of a turbo charged 4. The one thing that I've love about my mustang over the years is that I've felt I've always been able to accelerate when I've wanted to, so that's just how I drive.

Pretty sure the other thing I'll have to have is AWD. The worst thing about my car has been a rear-wheel car with little weight is terrible for things like rain, ice, or turning.

Going to check out the BMW 328 and 335 stuff this week. The WRX sounds nice if I can get a spoiler free version =P

Can't beat the realiabilty of a BMW inline 6, they have that engine down.

After watching Top Gear for a few years I might test drive an Evo if I were in the market for a car, they always seem to like them but they look more like a car for a single guy, not a guy with a growing family.

Requiem
07-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Yes. Buy a car that's 25k-35k and the moment you take it off the lot -- bam. You just got ****ed in the ass.

Do some major damage with that money in another fashion.

Jesterhole
07-10-2011, 06:00 AM
Yes. Buy a car that's 25k-35k and the moment you take it off the lot -- bam. You just got ****ed in the ass.

Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't mention, I'm only looking at used cars. I'd never buy a new one unless I no longer cared about money.

Finding a used stick shift is a pain in the ass though. How can soooo many people buy these nice cars and get automatics? I've lived in LA, San Fran, Austin and Dallas, so I've seen all kinds of traffic. Nothing beats the connection you have to your car with a manual.

I just don't see how people can push their accelerators and just pray the car does something.

Requiem
07-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Used is the way to go.

Good luck on your search.

I was looking at some older BMW 5 and 3 series, but decided to get up and move this next month than purchase a vehicle.

Everything will work out.

I'm a partial Beamer guy. Everyone I know who has ever had one, rode them to death and loved them. Well, they didn't even die -- they just got new ones.

Requiem
07-10-2011, 06:03 AM
This thread just makes me excited to go back home and drive the Vette. VroooooooM.

Ray Finkle
07-10-2011, 06:11 AM
Audi's are nice until they hit about 100K miles then they start falling apart.....
BMW's, unless you do the general maintenance yourself (oil changes, etc) you're going to get raped on the charges....

We had Mercedes and Audi's and traded them in for a Highlander and Prius....less hassle and good cars.

Well except the Prius, I hate that piece of crap.

Vladimir
07-10-2011, 07:48 AM
I own a 07 bmw 335i.. Inline 6 twin turbo motor with 300hp. Very, very fun car.

Below picture is not my car but a nice example of a 335i sedan. Can also be had as an 335XI which is all wheel drive. They are either auto or manual. Def at least worth a test drive IMO

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/BMW-335i-sedan.jpg

Drunk Monkey
07-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Yeah, that's one of the things I didn't mention, I'm only looking at used cars. I'd never buy a new one unless I no longer cared about money.

One thing to keep in mind is the interest rates if you are going to finance the car. New cars always get better rates then used sometime 0%. Not saying it is the better way to go but it is worth the math exercise if you are spending that kind of money.

Boobs McGee
07-10-2011, 09:05 AM

Finding a used stick shift is a pain in the ass though. How can soooo many people buy these nice cars and get automatics? I've lived in LA, San Fran, Austin and Dallas, so I've seen all kinds of traffic. Nothing beats the connection you have to your car with a manual.

I just don't see how people can push their accelerators and just pray the car does something.

I used to LOOOOOOOOVE manuals. Love them. Grew up learning on one, 4 of the six cars I've owned have been manual. My last car was a manual, and when I was looking around for my subie, I was looking manual. THEN, I test drove an automatic. Actually, I got to take the car for a weekend (my auto broker is extremely cool, and let me take a few cars for extended periods of time) to see how I liked it...and I realized that I really didn't miss the manual shifting all that much. Thanks to paddle shifters, and a sport shift mode on the shifter, I can still get some kind of resemblance...obviously it isn't the same but it gives me the ability to downshift easily in slow hilly traffic, drop the hammer when I want to pass, etc. It's weird, because that was one of two MAJOR requirements for me going into my purchase, and now I couldn't be happier not shifting.

When shopping used, remember: manuals can really limit your selection. Fewer and fewer are being made throughout the auto industry, and they're becoming a more expensive option. I'm not saying DON'T get one, just keep an open mind and make sure you test drive a whole bunch of both types before purchasing. You'd be surprised how trivial that option can become.

Jay3
07-10-2011, 09:37 AM
When shopping used, remember: manuals can really limit your selection. Fewer and fewer are being made throughout the auto industry, and they're becoming a more expensive option. I'm not saying DON'T get one, just keep an open mind and make sure you test drive a whole bunch of both types before purchasing. You'd be surprised how trivial that option can become.

I agree -- my Buick Grand National (daily driver for 10 years) cured me of the manual-only bug. Today's cars have so much computer-logic involved in the operation of the engine, that an automatic in today's world can be a very rewarding and high performance thing. The main computer is able to really deliver performance when that variable is somewhat under its control.

jutang
07-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Once you pick the car, check out truecar.com for price comparison. Amex and Costco auto programs also giver you a gauge on the market.

broncosteven
07-10-2011, 04:05 PM

We bought ours new because we expected to get 10+ years out of it, if you plan on buying a car every 5 years or get bored with a car fast then your right, go used.

If you go used I would jump up a series, trick is finding a car only a few years old that was maintained properly.

LRtagger
07-10-2011, 07:38 PM
The reason the Audi felt like it did is because they (along with most newer cars) do not have a throttle cable. The throttle is electronically controlled and for some reason on Audi's and VWs, they lag quite a bit...plus add in it's a 4cyl turbo (more lag) and you get a car that's a manual but responds like an automatic.

If you like the speed3, but not the fact that it's a hatch, check out the speed6. I used to own one. Threw some wheels on it and it was a pretty slick little car. 6-speed, 250ish HP, got 30mpg highway. But if you are considering a BMW, it's probably going to be a nicer car.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1469/imgp1802op8.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9210/imgp1812ue1.jpg

OABB
07-10-2011, 08:08 PM

best car I've ever owned... its a 50 thousand dollar car with a 30 thousand dollar price tag.

Vegas_Bronco
07-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Go with bmw...while infiniti is worried about cup holders, those germans have rear wheel slip differential down.

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 05:49 AM
Buy American.....the Job you save may be your own or someone close to you-
besides, they aint' got nothin' on the USA-

Beantown Bronco
07-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Buy American.....the Job you save may be your own or someone close to you-
besides, they aint' got nothin' on the USA-

I'm confused. You say "buy American" and then your first pic is of a Mustang? It may be assembled in America, but the engine and about 65% of the "content" is from some combo of Mexico, Germany and/or France. Buying a freaking Camry is more "American" than buying a Mustang nowadays.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-11-2011, 06:30 AM
The Wagon Queen Family Trucksters are sweet rides.

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 06:37 AM
I'm confused. You say "buy American" and then your first pic is of a Mustang? It may be assembled in America, but the engine and about 65% of the "content" is from some combo of Mexico, Germany and/or France. Buying a freaking Camry is more "American" than buying a Mustang nowadays.

I disagree-just because it's assembled here doesn't mean it's "American"-Hilarious!

Is Toyota an American Company?

Drunk Monkey
07-11-2011, 06:40 AM

You sure about the engine? I remember reading somewhere that for a car to be considered made in America the engine accounted for 51% of the validity of that claim. Having said that Mustangs are crap cars but I think Ford is doing more right then they used to.

Beantown Bronco
07-11-2011, 07:17 AM
I disagree-just because it's assembled here doesn't mean it's "American"-Hilarious!

Ummmm, to make this list, your content needs to include at least 75% American parts.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0710

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm not talking about "assembled" in America, I'm talking about made by an American Company-

Beantown Bronco
07-11-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm not talking about "assembled" in America, I'm talking about made by an American Company-

Read the link. So am I.

srphoenix
07-11-2011, 07:26 AM
It only matters a little bit where the car is assembled or what nation puts the parts together. The difference is where the money ends up when all is said and done. In this case even if the American car is 100% sourced and assembled in Mexico, the money flow still goes into the American tax system and into American cities.

That being said, I'll still always buy the best car that most suits my needs regardless of where it is built, assembled, or corporately owned. In my case it was an Evo X, but I did seriously look at American and German vehicles as well.

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 07:26 AM
He points out that GM and Ford source nearly 70 percent of their parts from domestic sources while Toyota and Nissan only get 35 percent and 30 percent of their parts from America, respectively.

According to Beckham, the most American product currently on the market is the Ford Escape, which has a 90-pecent domestic parts content and is assembled in Kansas City, Mo.

According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration data from 2009, the domestic-parts-content for the Ford Taurus is also 90 percent, the Lincoln MKS comes in at 85 percent, the Buick Lucerne touts 81 percent, and the Chevrolet Malibu gets 80 percent of its parts from domestic sources.

http://autos.aol.com/article/buy-american-car/

So am I-

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 07:27 AM
It only matters a little bit where the car is assembled or what nation puts the parts together. The difference is where the money ends up when all is said and done. In this case even if the American car is 100% sourced and assembled in Mexico, the money flow still goes into the American tax system and into American cities.

Thank you!

Dr. Broncenstein
07-11-2011, 07:34 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6aEu6HmAQPQ/RbdwqF9PNGI/AAAAAAAABp0/rbFm4eVo_24/s400/789.jpg

No crappy Mexican or Canadian parts here. Solidarity.

Beantown Bronco
07-11-2011, 07:37 AM

Thank you!

Wow. Talk about misinformation.

Cito Pelon
07-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Yup. I think your best bet to find one is at a BMW dealer's used car lot.

But don't get discouraged if you end up with an auto. With the paddle shifters most upscale sport sedan makers have used for the past 10 years you won't be disappointed with the performance.

worm
07-11-2011, 09:05 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_6aEu6HmAQPQ/RbdwqF9PNGI/AAAAAAAABp0/rbFm4eVo_24/s400/789.jpg

No crappy Mexican or Canadian parts here. Solidarity.

Is this available in the blue sportswagon model with CB?

Cito Pelon
07-11-2011, 09:15 AM

Jeez, who knows anymore? GM used to own about 49% of Toyota stock, Renault I believe owns the Nissan brand now, and Mercedes used to own Chrysler (Fiat I believe owns the Chrysler brand now???). Ford used to own the Jaguar and Opel brands . . . .

Dr. Broncenstein
07-11-2011, 09:17 AM

Well... Not for six weeks. But this is a good deal and we've already crushed your trade-in.

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 09:44 AM
You sure about the engine? I remember reading somewhere that for a car to be considered made in America the engine accounted for 51% of the validity of that claim. Having said that Mustangs are crap cars but I think Ford is doing more right then they used to.

Crap cars!?!? Says the guy who drives an infinity.Hilarious! Too funny!

alkemical
07-11-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm looking at a $5k subaru.

F car payments.

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 11:44 AM
http://townhall.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef0d013/0

Cito Pelon
07-11-2011, 11:44 AM

The trouble with the Mustangs is the solid rear axle. 4 wheel independent suspension is a must for a performance car.

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 11:47 AM
The trouble with the Mustangs is the solid rear axle. 4 wheel independent suspension is a must for a performance car.

You are certainly correct there-I know the earlier Cobra's came with IRS, as my brother-in-law is currently installing one in a '67 Mustang Fastback-

And, of course, it depends on what you call a performance car-I wouldn't want an IRS on a dragstrip-

Quoydogs
07-11-2011, 12:13 PM
You are certainly correct there-I know the earlier Cobra's came with IRS, as my brother-in-law is currently installing one in a '67 Mustang Fastback-

And, of course, it depends on what you call a performance car-I wouldn't want an IRS on a dragstrip-

Did you know that a 93 geo metro will out corner that car threw the mountains.

waz06
07-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Oh yeah I love the Griswold mobile.

Seriously I do consider a CB radio as standard equipment along with a good radar detector if you plan on doing any high speed driving on the highway

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm looking at a $5k subaru.

F car payments.

It'll run for ever. I love my Subaru.

Of course, I love my '72 Bronco even more.

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 12:17 PM

Do you mean the 2011 Mustang?

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 12:19 PM
My stang has IRS (04 Cobra) so I guess I wouldn't know about the solid axle. I know a lot of the guys who have these Terminator Cobras change from IRS to solid axle for the drag strip & such.

waz06
07-11-2011, 12:21 PM

I did not know that. But it still will not make me want to go and get a Geo Ha!

waz06
07-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Hey dont rag on the solid rear axle. I have a camaro and trans am for decades and they are fun cars. Best bang for the buck

Drunk Monkey
07-11-2011, 12:33 PM

As others already mentioned, that solid rear Axel is ridiculous. The ride in a Mustang is awkward and uncomfortable. I know the Mustang purest would kill Ford if they changed it but the car makes no sense. The Cobra is in a different league, I won't bag your ride but for the $ I would have gone a different direction.

alkemical
07-11-2011, 12:34 PM

I had a 99 legacy wagon - it got to 225k until it died. the prev owners left it sit, but I didn't know this/know what to look for before.

I can't wait to get out of my trailblazer.

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 12:38 PM
As others already mentioned, that solid rear Axel is ridiculous. The ride in a Mustang is awkward and uncomfortable. I know the Mustang purest would kill Ford if they changed it but the car makes no sense. The Cobra is in a different league, I won't bag your ride but for the $ I would have gone a different direction.

Aren't you taking this a bit far? My Wife has a GT convertible (that is her "fun" Car), and while I'm not a big fan of Mustangs(I am a GM guy, but would rather have a hemi Challenger if they could get the weight down).

I would not call Mustangs duds (even with a solid axle)-I put on some 17" Wheels (17 X 10's on the rear)with BFG KDW's, and it will corner-it actually handles like a slot car-trust me-

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Actually, I got a steal on my cobra. 22k only 8400 miles. You could go a different direction...but you would get smoked.

TheReverend
07-11-2011, 12:47 PM
I still drive my old 99 Honda Accord.

I just never got into the fancy car craze.

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
I still drive my old 99 Honda Accord.

I just never got into the fancy car craze.
Nothing wrong with that. Saves A LOT of money. Especially when that mod bug gets in your system.

Drunk Monkey
07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Actually, I got a steal on my cobra. 22k only 8400 miles. You could go a different direction...but you would get smoked.

Would get smoked right up to the point that you had to turn.

alkemical
07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I also miss my 91 MR2 TURBO

TheReverend
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Saves A LOT of money. Especially when that mod bug gets in your system.

I've replaced the starter once and that's literally the extent of maintenance. I figure I'll run it to death and then pay cash for a "luxury vehicle" with all the money I've saved.

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Would get smoked right up to the point that you had to turn.

Like I said I don't have a solid rear axle. My car will turn just fine. Not only that but its far from stock. Don't hate the snake.

bronclvr
07-11-2011, 01:02 PM
I miss my old '67 427/390 Corvette-

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 01:03 PM
I've replaced the starter once and that's literally the extent of maintenance. I figure I'll run it to death and then pay cash for a "luxury vehicle" with all the money I've saved.

Smart plan. That's a good idea. Cash is the only way to go.

Pony Boy
07-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Smart plan. That's a good idea. Cash is the only way to go.

Zero interest is better, I bought a Cadillac CTS for my wife on a 36 month zero interest. Keep your cash invested and make a monthly automatic payment withdraw and still make money on what you have invested.

Cito Pelon
07-11-2011, 01:16 PM
My stang has IRS (04 Cobra) so I guess I wouldn't know about the solid axle. I know a lot of the guys who have these Terminator Cobras change from IRS to solid axle for the drag strip & such.

Yeah, the Cobra upgrade has the IRS. I'll admit I'm kind of a snob about domestic vs. import. I've always thought the imports like Porsche, Mercedes, BMW were the premium brands if you want all around performance.

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah, the Cobra upgrade has the IRS. I'll admit I'm kind of a snob about domestic vs. import. I've always thought the imports like Porsche, Mercedes, BMW were the premium brands if you want all around performance.

They are the premium cars...I can admit that.

Cito Pelon
07-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey dont rag on the solid rear axle. I have a camaro and trans am for decades and they are fun cars. Best bang for the buck

Yup, certainly you get great bang for the buck with domestic brands. This is just my opinion, but if you pay that extra 10-20% for a Porsche, Mercedes, Acura, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus you get a better all around performance vehicle.

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Yup, certainly you get great bang for the buck with domestic brands. This is just my opinion, but if you pay that extra 10-20% for a Porsche, Mercedes, Acura, Audi, Infiniti, Lexus you get a better all around performance vehicle.

......Depending on the model, obviously.

Cito Pelon
07-11-2011, 02:20 PM
......Depending on the model, obviously.

Yup. Oddly enough, I was driving a rental Dodge Avenger last week and that was a very nice performer.

Ironlung
07-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Yup. Oddly enough, I was driving a rental Dodge Avenger last week and that was a very nice performer.

A guy I work with just got a brand new Avenger, I was quite suprised as well.

Tombstone RJ
07-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Any suggestions?

Get a Mitsubishi Evo...

broncosteven
07-11-2011, 06:29 PM

Rep for having a '72 Bronco.

If I had the money and a place to store them I would get a mid 70's IH Scout or Traveler and a 1978 Bronco I always loved the size and grill of those late 70's Broncos.

My dad worked for an IH dealer when we lived in Denver in the mid 70's and he would get a Scout or Traveler for the weekend when company came into town and we would take them up into the mountains. Great memories of panning for gold and riding through the mountain's in the back of an IH.

Pony Boy
07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Rep for having a '72 Bronco.

If I had the money and a place to store them I would get a mid 70's IH Scout or Traveler and a 1978 Bronco I always loved the size and grill of those late 70's Broncos.

My dad worked for an IH dealer when we lived in Denver in the mid 70's and he would get a Scout or Traveler for the weekend when company came into town and we would take them up into the mountains. Great memories of panning for gold and riding through the mountain's in the back of an IH.

Speaking of great memories, I bought a brand new Toyota Landcruiser new off the lot in Denver in 74, it was green with the white top. I rigged up a hoist in my garage so I could back in and lift off the top. I sold it in 86 when I moved south, I needed a vehicle with AC and something big enough to haul the kids.

broncosteven
07-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Speaking of great memories, I bought a brand new Toyota Landcruiser new off the lot in Denver in 74, it was green with the white top. I rigged up a hoist in my garage so I could back in and lift off the top. I sold it in 86 when I moved south, I needed a vehicle with AC and something big enough to haul the kids.

Sweet!

MagicHef
07-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I also miss my 91 MR2 TURBO

I miss my 91 MR2 N/A. I just sold it about 3 months ago.

waz06
07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
This thread just makes me excited to go back home and drive the Vette. VroooooooM.

:wave:

waz06
07-11-2011, 11:08 PM
I miss my old '67 427/390 Corvette-

:wave:

alkemical
07-12-2011, 05:51 AM
I miss my 91 MR2 N/A. I just sold it about 3 months ago.

I had one of them, but then had to get a turbo.

the turbo was scarier...not nec. better. :D

USAFBronco
07-12-2011, 07:39 AM

Have you looked at the Acura TL SH-AWD? V6, all wheel drive, 4 door and a super well made car imo. Fits all the guidelines you've laid down. I have don't have the superhandling version but I am in love with the car. I drove the SH and it was loads of fun.

bronco militia
07-12-2011, 07:46 AM

Any suggestions?

have you test driven an Audi S4 or RS4? Depending on the year, they have twin turbos or a super charger.

DR.Bombay
07-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Any suggestions?

I just went thru the same shopping experience a few months ago you are going thru now.

I wanted a car that had 4 doors (with useable backseats) and with at least 300HP and either RWD or AWD, I preferred manual but was not a necessity. I looked at new and up to 3 year old used.
Heres the list of what I looked at
Audi S4 & S6
BMW M3 & 335i
Caddy CTS-V and STS-V
Chrysler & Dodge SRT-8 sedans
Infiniti G37 & M
Lexus IS-F
Pontiac G8 GT and GXP

I really liked the S6 and the new CTS-V but could not justify the $70k+ price tag even on a lease.
The S4 / 3 series / G37 / IS-F felt small
The Infiniti M was boring, almost felt like it could drive itself.
The SRT-8 sedans were fun in a straight line but did not feel very nimble and the looks were dime a dozen to me. Although the new SRT-392 might change the handling issue, but it looks like a large mouth bass.

So to make a long story short I went with the Pontiac G8 GXP with a 6-speed manual.
The good. It had what felt like the largest interior space. For a large sedan it handles very well (although I have added some pedders suspension mods to improve it a little) Since it has the Vette LS3 under the hood it has very good performance (415 HP at the crank) with a lot of aftermarket mod support. Another plus is the car is very rare in any trim level so you don't see them in every parking lot, they are even rarer in GXP trim, only 1900 were produced and less than half of those were manuals.
The bad was it did not have the same interior fit and finish and options as the Caddy, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infinitis. It's a functional interior but thats it, and is missing things like backup camera, IPOD integration, NAV, cooled seats, pushbutton start. So if those are must haves you probably want to stay away from the G8. I did have a real hard time finding one with for a good deal with low miles, since they made so few most people are holding onto them and the ones that are for sale with low miles are priced a little to high IMO. They can be had had for low $30s with low miles you just have to shop around.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search

DenverBroncosJM
07-12-2011, 08:33 AM
I had a 350z so I can appreciate wanting a sporty 4 door. (damn gettin married)

The Lexus IS is probably the best bang for your buck all around.

bronclvr
07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
So to make a long story short I went with the Pontiac G8 GXP with a 6-speed manual.

:thumbs:

Very nice Car-those Aussies know their stuff-

Peoples Champ
07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
buy a batmobile

http://cdn2.worldcarfans.co/2008/5/medium/9080506.011.1M.jpg (http://www.worldcarfans.com/10805061382/a-1989-batmobile-can-be-yours-for-over-us-500000/lowphotos#0)

Meck77
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Truck High Jack!

So I'm in the market for truck. Already have a F-150 but looking for a something to haul with. Need to haul a trailer that weighs upwards of 14,000lbs. Use to have a Dodge 2500 turbo diesel cummings and loved it. Not interested in new. I'm not worried about an older truck as I have the mechanics in place. My mechanic is trying to convince me to go GMC because parts are cheapest.

Thanks in Advance.

broncobum6162
10-22-2012, 06:14 PM

Any suggestions?

I bought a 2012 Cruze Eco this summer and love it. Great value and awesome fuel milage anywhere from 37-41 mpg on highway depending on how fast you drive.