PDA

View Full Version : Retired players’ complaint takes aim at Drew Brees

Kaylore
07-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Retired players’ complaint takes aim at Drew Brees

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/06/retired-players-complaint-takes-aim-at-drew-brees/

Here's the excerpt that sticks in their craw

In support of the argument that current players aren’t committed to taking care of the retired players, the lawsuit echoes this quote from Brees: “There’s some guys out there that have made bad business decisions. They took their pensions early because they never went out and got a job. They’ve had a couple divorces and they’re making payments to this place and that place. And that’s why they don’t have money. And they’re coming to us to basically say, ‘Please make up for my bad judgment.’” The retired players claim that this quote constitutes “antipathy for NFL retirees” from Brees.To add context, Brees made the quote speaking about one portion of the retirees and not all retirees or those suffering medically.

To me it was a harsh truth. Then I read some of the comments below concerning Brees' comments.

He needs to shut his mouth and be thankful for the players that paved the way for him to be the jerk that he is.Drew Brees is arrogant and one of the worst phonies in sports.Drew Brees, Mr. All-American Good Guy… yeah right. Now we see the real character behind the phony image. What a fraud. What a fake. This one is my favorite:
Drew, find a bunch of offensive linemen from the 80′s, really understand their situations & what they need, and protect them financially. Otherwise, you are a rich jerk that really does not appreciate the people that got you into a position to earn what you earn. IMHO anyway.LOL

Mogulseeker
07-07-2011, 07:56 AM
This just makes me like Drew Brees even more.

ludo21
07-07-2011, 08:01 AM
That was pretty cold by Brees, but im sure he has some specific examples in mind.

Hard to just throw a blanket statement over everyone though like that.

Smilin Assassin
07-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Personally, I feel they have a legit beef.

Unless Drew buys Lawrence Taylor a few (legal age, with ID!) prostitutes a month, he's dead to me.

Beantown Bronco
07-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Hard to just throw a blanket statement over everyone though like that.

To be fair, he did use the word "some" not "all".

alkemical
07-07-2011, 08:06 AM
entitlements....

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I see it both ways. There are guys who did the right thing after retiring, got jobs, continued to make money without going for a big score in the market or a business venture, and are doing just fine.

There are those who went after the big money and the fabulous prizes and didn't get either, and now have a host of medical bills.

But there are also those who, through repeated concussions and other medical ailments, after playing in an era with salaries that were less than 1/10th of current averages, were not able to hold a job or make any money. Those are the guys I feel for.

The blanket statement is the suck.

DarkHorse
07-07-2011, 08:07 AM
He said exactly what needed to be said - he's 100% right on probably 50% of the retirees that it was directed to.

Look at some of the ignorance that is done in today's NFL - Travis Henry spawning 18 future felons, guys rolling around with Bentley's, "bling", etc.... - so 20 years from now the current players of that time are supposed to feel sorry for guys like this and give them more money to blow?

**** that.

Steve Prefontaine
07-07-2011, 08:14 AM
I don't see a thing wrong with Brees said. It wasn't a blanket statement. He said some players.

Kaylore
07-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Again, the comments were referring to different groups among the retirees and not describing all or even most retirees.

alkemical
07-07-2011, 08:19 AM
http://th242.photobucket.com/albums/ff104/princelybug/th_thats_racist.gif

That One Guy
07-07-2011, 08:40 AM
They made their bed. I don't give a damn about someone who decides years after the fact that they were undercompensated. Let 'em rot in their own tears.

tsiguy96
07-07-2011, 09:13 AM
I see it both ways. There are guys who did the right thing after retiring, got jobs, continued to make money without going for a big score in the market or a business venture, and are doing just fine.

There are those who went after the big money and the fabulous prizes and didn't get either, and now have a host of medical bills.

But there are also those who, through repeated concussions and other medical ailments, after playing in an era with salaries that were less than 1/10th of current averages, were not able to hold a job or make any money. Those are the guys I feel for.

The blanket statement is the suck.

those players should be taken care of, however right now it seems like the retired players are just trying to get in on the pie while its up for discussion, when in reality, they are not NFL players and really shouldnt have a part. the fact that the NFL and NFLPA should and are giving them money is how it should be, but to try and litigate your way into money that you are not currently involved in in any way?

TheReverend
07-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Better disability compensation and the rest can just stfu, imo

Garcia Bronco
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Lol..what a bunch if children. It's not current players jobs to support retired players.

Rock Chalk
07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Better disability compensation and the rest can just stfu, imo

This.

Due to the violent nature of football, this should be effing mandatory. Everything else the players are responsible for themselves. ****ed your pension away? Tough ****. Blew your money on hookers? Tough ****. Made bad business deals? Tough ****.

Welcome to the real world asshole.

alkemical
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Don't buy NFLPA merchandise either!!!

Buy only the ripped off ****.

Pony Boy
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Brees needs to wipe that bird-poop off his face

Mountain Bronco
07-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I completely agree with Mr. Brees. F'm

broncosteven
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
I don't think the old timers should be compensated or given reperations but I would like to see them get free or very close to free medical and look at some sort of medical disability coverage, if not that then maybe some type of nursing home for retired players where they can go to live out their last days like the Actors have.

That One Guy
07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't think the old timers should be compensated or given reperations but I would like to see them get free or very close to free medical and look at some sort of medical disability coverage, if not that then maybe some type of nursing home for retired players where they can go to live out their last days like the Actors have.

Would it be nice to do? Sure.

Do they have ANY claim that should ever remotely see a courtroom? Not a chance.

Smilin Assassin
07-07-2011, 12:08 PM
I don't think the old timers should be compensated or given reperations but I would like to see them get free or very close to free medical and look at some sort of medical disability coverage, if not that then maybe some type of nursing home for retired players where they can go to live out their last days like the Actors have..

Can you say "Sitcom waiting to happen"? :pimp:

UberBroncoMan
07-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Brees is right. If you couldn't save and made stupid ****ing decisions with your money...gtfo.

Kaylore
07-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Yeah that was my take as well. The players aren't obliged to give the older generation more money because they are making more now. I like what one poster said on the PFT site; If some old dude came to your work and told you that you were able to work at your job because of the way he helped grow the business when he worked there in the sixties, and that you therefore owe him a part of your paycheck, what would you say? I know what I'd say...

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dgnjm1.gif

GreatBronco16
07-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Well being that I wasn't gifted enough to make it to the NFL, however, I did piss away a lot of money on the NFL, I feel that I should be compensated by the players. I mean, it's their fault that I didn't make it.

alkemical
07-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah that was my take as well. The players aren't obliged to give the older generation more money because they are making more now. I like what one poster said on the PFT site; If some old dude came to your work and told you that you were able to work at your job because of the way he helped grow the business when he worked there in the sixties, and that you therefore owe him a part of your paycheck, what would you say? I know what I'd say...

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dgnjm1.gif

It's called SSI MF'ER!

LOL!

TailgateNut
07-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Someone needs to put this into perspective. These past and present player make/ made their bed.

What's the saying?

I'm sick of it all. They can all kiss my ass! Players, owners, association, etc.....

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-08-2011, 02:45 AM
It's all about avoiding the next "Mike Webster". Webster's post NFL life, ... just "gut wrenching".

If Drew Brees wants to man up and give an honest opinion on Webster, I'd be all ears!
Otherwise, retired players can just throw vague blanket statements back, like - today's players are irresponsibly making babies everywhere they go.

That One Guy
07-08-2011, 07:06 AM
It's all about avoiding the next "Mike Webster". Webster's post NFL life, ... just "gut wrenching".

If Drew Brees wants to man up and give an honest opinion on Webster, I'd be all ears!
Otherwise, retired players can just throw vague blanket statements back, like - today's players are irresponsibly making babies everywhere they go.

Who f'ing cares what they do with their money? They're the ones earning it.

You don't come back and claim you should get more money after you've retired. End of story. That's it. No more details worth considering.

GoBroncos DownUnder
07-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Who f'ing cares what they do with their money? They're the ones earning it.

You don't come back and claim you should get more money after you've retired. End of story. That's it. No more details worth considering.
So after a HOF career, spanning 16 years, a former NFL player with a neurodegenerative disease (amnesia, dementia and depression), who buys a tazer to taze himself to "ease" his back pain, ... this guy is not the NFL's problem?

*Personally - I HATE the idea that the NFL becomes like welfare, to support once rich douche-bags like Jamucus Russell, but IMO every case needs to be considered on it's own merits.

ol#7
07-08-2011, 08:30 AM
So after a HOF career, spanning 16 years, a former NFL player with a neurodegenerative disease (amnesia, dementia and depression), who buys a tazer to taze himself to "ease" his back pain, ... this guy is not the NFL's problem?

*Personally - I HATE the idea that the NFL becomes like welfare, to support once rich douche-bags like Jamucus Russell, but IMO every case needs to be considered on it's own merits.

Not the current generations playing problem, no. That is the reason we have safety nets such as disability in place, you think the NFL is the only field in which people get hurt? I have multiple injuries from a career in the Army that will never be right. I live in constant pain. Im happy with the deal I made though and dont expect any more that was promised when I signed up, although the VA really sucks.

The NFL will do something more than it is required though because of the PR involved, but don't think for a minute that its becasue they are being compelled to do so because it is the 'right' thing.