PDA

View Full Version : Broncos’ “worst moments” have a tie at the top of the list

Gutless Drunk
07-06-2011, 02:01 PM
<object id="msnbc5a8dd4" classid="clsid:<param name=" movie="" value="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756" height="245" width="420">

<embed name="msnbc5a8dd4" src="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756" flashvars="launch=43658762&width=420&height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" height="245" width="420">[/URL]</object>[URL="http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24471749"]Breaking sports news video (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/33399756). MLB (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032825), NFL (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032875), NBA (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032847), NHL highlights (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032803) and more (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24471749).

bronco militia
07-06-2011, 02:14 PM
maybe another super bowl with bubby brister in 1999?????

shanahan inherited Super bowl teams in 1997 and 1998???

GTFO!!

Chris
07-06-2011, 02:21 PM
All I see is your avatar. Who is she?

Smiling Assassin27
07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Bowl 12 is the one that still hurts the most for me. 8 turnovers. 8. For a kid who stepped out there and bet his entire week's allowance ($1) and living smack dab in the middle of cowboy country, that game had me in tears.

broncosteven
07-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Jag game was the worst, I never thought we had a chance in the 49er SB. I think the Washington SB could be 2.

enjolras
07-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Ya.. I don't see how that Jags game can't be anything but #1, #2, AND #3.

broncosteven
07-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Super Bowl 12 is the one that still hurts the most for me. 8 turnovers. 8. For a kid who stepped out there and bet his entire week's allowance ($1) and living smack dab in the middle of cowboy country, that game had me in tears.

It was a tough loss but I was still proud they made it there. We lived in Michigan at the time and my best friend was a Cowboy fan but he was cool about never shoving the win in my face.

SB 12 was far from an embarrasing loss especially when the Bronco fans who went were chanting we love the Broncos or something at the end of that SB. They would have had to play a perfect game to win that day.

gunns
07-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Have to disagree. The Jags game was so bad. I didn't expect them to win against the Cowboys or 49ers and that was evident early, I did expect them to against Washington but after that 2nd quarter my hopes were dashed and with the Giants I was just glad to be there, thought we might pull it out but after that safety I got the feeling Giants were gaining the momentum and they were. With the Jags game, it was the game, it was a given, it was unbelievable for a long time that we lost it. I was devastated.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-06-2011, 03:14 PM
That Jag game just about did me in.

enjolras
07-06-2011, 03:31 PM
What made the Jags game the worst (for me) was that you just couldn't shake the feeling that they might never get another shot. Elway was clearly near the end of his career and you just weren't sure the team would even recover much less contend from that loss.

It just sucked on so many levels.

That next season was pretty rad tho:)

broncosteven
07-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Have to disagree. The Jags game was so bad. I didn't expect them to win against the Cowboys or 49ers and that was evident early, I did expect them to against Washington but after that 2nd quarter my hopes were dashed and with the Giants I was just glad to be there, thought we might pull it out but after that safety I got the feeling Giants were gaining the momentum and they were. With the Jags game, it was the game, it was a given, it was unbelievable for a long time that we lost it. I was devastated.

Plus it was at Mile High! That should have been a cakewalk.

Hercules Rockefeller
07-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Didn't watch, but the list is wrong if Darrent and Damien Nash aren't #1

cutthemdown
07-06-2011, 03:49 PM
There is no team like the Broncos in pro football. To lose so many Superbowls, then to get upset in the Championship game by Jags, only to rise up and win back to back Superbowls. The Bills wish!

cutthemdown
07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Didn't watch, but the list is wrong if Darrent and Damien Nash aren't #1

There keeping it to on the field things I think.

Garcia Bronco
07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
There is no team like the Broncos in pro football. To lose so many Superbowls, then to get upset in the Championship game by Jags, only to rise up and win back to back Superbowls. The Bills wish!

"Then I rose up with a full heart and buried him in his own blood!"

Daniel Day Lewis as Bill the Butcher, Gang of New York

titan
07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
For me it's:
1. SB loss to Giants (the only SB I attended in person)
2. SB loss to Dallas 77 (awful end to a magical season)
3. SB loss to Redskins (after a 10-0 lead in the first quarter)
4. Home AFC Championship game loss to Pittsburgh 2005-6 (to me this was worse than Jacksonville because the stakes were higher, it was at home where the broncos were undefeated that year and had just beat the mighty Patriots the week before, and whoever won was going to defeat the bumbling Seahawks the next week in the SB)
5. SB loss to 49'ers (you knew it was coming, but 55-10? ouch!)
6. Jacksonville playoff loss

Bronco Vixen
07-06-2011, 04:12 PM

I literally threw up at the stadium - of course I was hideously hung over but that was beside the point.

The worst part of that whole debacle was the dreaded feeling from very early on that they were going to lose that game.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Micheal Dean Perry's fat ass got a little fatter the day that he ripped my beating heart out of my chest and ate it in front of me.

Chris
07-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Jag game. Though I will say after the 9ers loss significant portions of my Denver family stopped watching the Broncos closely.

Bronco Vixen
07-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Micheal Dean Perry's fat ass got a little fatter the day that he ripped my beating heart out of my chest and ate it in front of me.

Crying - I'm laughing so hard at this

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
GAH! GAH! KILL iT WITH FIRE!

chanesaw
07-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I have been a fan since the mid 80's, but I have never felt more embarrassed by the team then this past year. This year was the first where I went into game without any real hope of winning. I just knew we weren't very good. We have had some crushing losses, but they were good teams, and overachieving teams that had good seasons. Now we just plain suck. Which is why 2010 is my worst moment in Broncos history.

Taco John
07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
I couldn't take this guy seriously after he said Shanahan inherited that team he built. Hard to listen to someone who gets paid for talking, not for knowing things. Who is he? I want to make certain I never make the mistake of listening to him ever again.

Taco John
07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
I have been a fan since the mid 80's, but I have never felt more embarrassed by the team then this past year. This year was the first where I went into game without any real hope of winning. I just knew we weren't very good. We have had some crushing losses, but they were good teams, and overachieving teams that had good seasons. Now we just plain suck. Which is why 2010 is my worst moment in Broncos history.

Have to agree. I've never been more embarassed of the Broncos than I was during the Josh McDaniels era. Last year was particularly bad with the cheating scandal combined with all of the losing.

The Jags loss hurt, but we had plenty to be proud of. There was nothing to be proud of last season until Josh was purged.

Archer81
07-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Jags game was tough. The entire season was a cakewalk. Had the division and the conference wrapped up by november. Had everything you would need for a title run. Jags were a two year old team making their first playoff appearance...

Fate is a strange mistress. I did punch a hole in my wall after that game.

:Broncos:

oubronco
07-06-2011, 07:05 PM
TD getting hurt, Jags game, Pitt game

broncosteven
07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Jags game was tough. The entire season was a cakewalk. Had the division and the conference wrapped up by november. Had everything you would need for a title run. Jags were a two year old team making their first playoff appearance...

Fate is a strange mistress. I did punch a hole in my wall after that game.

Did you use it as a Glory Hole?

Archer81
07-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Did you use it as a Glory Hole?

If I had known what that was at 15, I suppose so.

vancejohnson82
07-06-2011, 07:25 PM
theres no way the two super bowl eggs go over the AFC championship against the Bills and the Jags game

damn, those still hurt

vancejohnson82
07-06-2011, 07:27 PM

this is such a horshe**** statement

OrangeSe7en
07-06-2011, 07:32 PM
I think one of the most underrated disappointments was the Pittsburgh game in 84/85. Denver had HFA that game and Merril Hoge ran all over the Broncos defense that day.

This memory kind of gets wiped out because "the Drive" came a year or two later but, at that time, that game sucked as much as any other.

OrangeSe7en
07-06-2011, 07:33 PM

He speaks the truth. Denver had had bad years at various points but last year was the lowest of the lows.

Dr. Broncenstein
07-06-2011, 07:54 PM

How so? I can't remember a Broncos team being as hapless and hopeless as the 2010 team... especially around late November.

vancejohnson82
07-06-2011, 08:13 PM
How so? I can't remember a Broncos team being as hapless and hopeless as the 2010 team... especially around late November.

but we still had some excitement with the Tebow replacement late....plus, we were still competitive up until the week after the Jets game

we played some good ball early....then it disappeared

i hate teams that dont play to potential...this team never had a chance

Taco John
07-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Teams that don't play to potential have potential not to play to.

Jetmeck
07-06-2011, 08:58 PM
Yes the McDummy era is close to the top of my list. Gawd I hate that freeakin idiot....................Jags loss was the worst for me. Took a long time to get over that one...........

Dr. Broncenstein
07-06-2011, 08:59 PM
but we still had some excitement with the Tebow replacement late....plus, we were still competitive up until the week after the Jets game

We had literally the worst coach in franchise history trying to do what the greatest coach in franchise history couldn't: run every single aspect of the team. Plus, the worst coach in franchise history was caught cheating. Then we lost to arguably the worst team in the league at the time, and did so while cheating. Those were some bad times. But I do admit that I was re-energized when Tebow took over as the starter.

broncosteven
07-06-2011, 08:59 PM

We had no potential last year other than Chucking it Deep to Lloyd.

vancejohnson82
07-06-2011, 09:07 PM
yup....McDaniels had no potential and neither did the team

you guys are revisionist

Pony Boy
07-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Jags game hands down but I'm still pretty butt hurt over trading Hillis.........

fdf
07-06-2011, 11:11 PM
That Jag game just about did me in.

It was awful. For that one game, Brunell played the best game at QB I have ever seen played. He wasn't that good overall. But for that one game . . .

fdf
07-06-2011, 11:17 PM
He speaks the truth. Denver had had bad years at various points but last year was the lowest of the lows.

Were you a fan in the 60's? Max Choboian and his dancing lessons, Steve Tensi, Jacki Lee? Trading our best players to KC and Oakland and then having them come in a beat us four times a year?

When we were at our cabin on game day, I couldn't get KOA. So I would drive up to above timberline and listen to them get creamed week after week. They weren't even competitive in what was then a weak league.

I still wince when I think about it.

mkporter
07-06-2011, 11:29 PM
I couldn't take this guy seriously after he said Shanahan inherited that team he built. Hard to listen to someone who gets paid for talking, not for knowing things. Who is he? I want to make certain I never make the mistake of listening to him ever again.

Mike Florio of PFT. Much better suited to rumor-mongering and legal analysis than football analysis.

ol#7
07-07-2011, 04:05 AM
Jags game. Didnt Elam miss an extra point? I just remember thinking this is all slowly going wrong, it was a slow motion train wreck that hurt like hell. After I thought we just blew Elways last best chance. Could/would we have beaten GB that year though I wonder?

2005 still sticks in my craw, no doubt in my mind we beat SEA, damn if champ just makes that pick!

92 Championship against the Bills. Treadwell misses two gimmees, Sewells fumble, Defense was quite good that year and I think we could have beaten Washington.

dbfan21
07-07-2011, 05:34 AM

It's Mike Florio.

WolfpackGuy
07-07-2011, 06:48 AM
Jags game. Didnt Elam miss an extra point? I just remember thinking this is all slowly going wrong, it was a slow motion train wreck that hurt like hell. After I thought we just blew Elways last best chance. Could/would we have beaten GB that year though I wonder?

92 Championship against the Bills. Treadwell misses two gimmees, Sewells fumble, Defense was quite good that year and I think we could have beaten Washington.

In the Jags game, I believe Elam's XP was tipped, then Sharpe dropped the 2 pointer on the following TD. I knew when the defense kept whiffing on getting Brunell down and started to let Means get going, they were in trouble. The refs also called a BS pass interference on James that totally turned that game around. Just a fluke game, and it didn't help the Broncos clinched and were basically resting since Thanksgiving. GB was pretty good that year, but the Pats were far from the Broncos level in 1996.

The Broncos stopped the Bills offense in their tracks in that AFCCG, and if not for Treadwell clanging two off the goal posts and missing another, they would've won. You could tell in that game whoever made the first big mistake was going to lose. (Wright and Bailey teaming up to return an INT for a TD.) Unfortunately, the Redskins that year would've destroyed anybody they faced with Rypien having the year of his life. The Broncos were still smallish on defense, Elway was hurting, and they were godawful in dome games under Reeves it seemed.

houghtam
07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
In the Jags game, I believe Elam's XP was tipped, then Sharpe dropped the 2 pointer on the following TD. I knew when the defense kept whiffing on getting Brunell down and started to let Means get going, they were in trouble. The refs also called a BS pass interference on James that totally turned that game around. Just a fluke game, and it didn't help the Broncos clinched and were basically resting since Thanksgiving. GB was pretty good that year, but the Pats were far from the Broncos level in 1996.

The Broncos stopped the Bills offense in their tracks in that AFCCG, and if not for Treadwell clanging two off the goal posts and missing another, they would've won. You could tell in that game whoever made the first big mistake was going to lose. (Wright and Bailey teaming up to return an INT for a TD.) Unfortunately, the Redskins that year would've destroyed anybody they faced with Rypien having the year of his life. The Broncos were still smallish on defense, Elway was hurting, and they were godawful in dome games under Reeves it seemed.

Yeah I'm in the camp that says no one would have beaten the Skins that year. They pretty much destroyed everyone they faced. In addition I know it was a year later, but that Redskins team put the smack down on us on MNF with Rypien at QB. They were just a pretty damned good football team.

titan
07-07-2011, 12:23 PM

2005 still sticks in my craw, no doubt in my mind we beat SEA, damn if champ just makes that pick!

That's why 2005/6 AFC Championship loss is worse for me than the Jags game (and I was at both games) - we had the Super Bowl won if we beat Pittsburgh. Even if we beat the Jags Green Bay would have been very tough to beat in the SB (and they beat the broncos handily in the regular season that year).

Plus the Jags game was earlier in the playoffs - the Steelers game was the only AFC Championship game the Broncos have ever lost at home.

BroncoMatt
07-08-2011, 12:22 AM
Maybe not the worst moment but definitely the most embarassing momen had to be Jamarcus coming off the bench for the win

ghostofjosh
07-08-2011, 04:25 AM
Jags game hands down but I'm still pretty butt hurt over trading Hillis.........

Jags game...agreed

vancejohnson82
07-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Maybe not the worst moment but definitely the most embarassing momen had to be Jamarcus coming off the bench for the win

that sucked giant ass crack

gunns
07-08-2011, 09:04 AM

I don't know, it was pretty bad and for me the low points crushed the high points as there were so few. It wasn't a single game, it was a whole damn season. But unlike the topics of this thread, it didn't break my heart, it made me very angry, especially that Raiders game.

OABB
07-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Any game where Cutler needed one win to get us in the playoffs.

BroncsRule
07-08-2011, 10:10 AM
If a whole season can be construed to be a "moment", then yeah, last year sucked balls. It was like a slow motion train wreck.

But Tebow resurected that hopey-changey feeling, there at the end. I went to both the HOU and SD games -

More energy than I've felt at Invesco in a long time..

BroncsRule
07-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Any game where Cutler needed one win to get us in the playoffs.

Or any three game stretch.

rodr88
07-09-2011, 11:16 AM
The Jags game is the one that hurts the worst for me, don't get me started on Michael Dean get your fat ass off the field Perry. (That's his legal name in my house).
Then the SB against the skins. Doug Fing Williams has the quarter of his life (not even a whole game) and Denver goes down hard. I was certain the Broncos were going to win that one and the first quarter did nothing to change my mind. I still feel sick when I think about the 2nd quarter of that game.

Jetmeck
07-09-2011, 11:19 AM
It was awful. For that one game, Brunell played the best game at QB I have ever seen played. He wasn't that good overall. But for that one game . . .

Yes he out Elwayed Elway on that ONE day............

Tim
07-09-2011, 05:15 PM
oakland @ denver 2010 was the worst i've seen

almost every SD game in the last 5 years is second

corey dillon's record day in 2000 is third

then all the colts playoff losses is fourth

then plummers pathetic performance in 05/06 playoff is fifth.

Tim
07-09-2011, 05:16 PM
If a whole season can be construed to be a "moment", then yeah, last year sucked balls. It was like a slow motion train wreck.

But Tebow resurected that hopey-changey feeling, there at the end. I went to both the HOU and SD games -

More energy than I've felt at Invesco in a long time..

yeah the houston game had more energy than any game i've seen at invesco. Also more 15 jerseys there than any other number combined.

Bronco Yoda
07-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Let's just say I still have nightmares about my Super Bowl 24 party.

briane
07-09-2011, 06:25 PM

agreed.... that game still pisses me off.

ICON
07-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Oakland Raiders scored the most points in their 50-year history Sunday with a 59-14 thrashing of the demoralized Denver Broncos.:cuss:

Hamrob
07-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Another game that had a lot of sting to it...was the loss to the Giants in 98. We ended up going 14-2, but had we won that game.......I have always thought we would have gone undefeaed and gone down in history as the best team ever!!!!

Hamrob
07-10-2011, 10:39 AM
One more: The game against K.C. where Elway went at it with Montana. I never thought Montana was in Elway's league. Had Elway gone to San Fran and played with Rice/Taylor/Craig....there would be no qb records he didn't own. Losing to Montana in that fashion (makes my stomach grown...even today!).

Pick Six
07-10-2011, 11:17 AM
The playoff game against the Ravens stung, because Sharpe was on the opposing sideline...:oyvey: