PDA

View Full Version : Could the NBA lockout hurt the NFL lockout?

Kaylore
07-01-2011, 06:29 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. I was reading PFT and the lawyers for the NFLPA are stirring the pot, basically nit-picking everything to slow talks on purpose. Apparently the one issue they aren't agreeing on is the revenue, which of course is the reason the lockout happened. The lawyers are pressing the NFLPA to take this to the courts thinking they'll win.

With the NBA being locked out, you now have two unions with a lot of potential money to lose (potentially billions of dollars). A ruling by the courts on the NFL case could set a precedent that would directly impact the NBA's lockout and labor negotiations. Neither union can afford the NFL to set an owner-friendly with a new deal. Of course if the court rules for the owners, it would be even more devastating.

Apparently the lawyers are counseling their union clients to try and win this through litigation - or they're holding out thinking the owners will buckle. Either way, it's a huge risk. If the players dig in, they could risk the "nuclear option" that is the owners stop negotiating completely, try and win their case in court and use that to rape them utterly. That could result in a very truncated and even non-2012 season depending on how hard they push this thing legally.

I really hope cooler heads prevail here.

Kid A
07-01-2011, 07:51 AM
I really hope you guys like hockey. NHL 2011-2012 season tickets now on sale!

Beantown Bronco
07-01-2011, 08:11 AM
I really hope you guys like hockey. NHL 2011-2012 season tickets now on sale!

Huh? I've never heard of NHL tix going on sale before September.

RhymesayersDU
07-01-2011, 08:14 AM
Huh? I've never heard of NHL tix going on sale before September.

It's a joke, sir.

Willynowei
07-01-2011, 08:41 AM
this is what happens when you pay hourly wages.

tsiguy96
07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
without knowing THAT much about the NBA, it seems to me they are more willing to accept a lost year than NFL owners. they must have a very bad salary system going on right now.

oubronco
07-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Thank God for college football

HEAV
07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I really hate that both the NBA & NFL are pulling this S88T. At least the college kids aren't being held off the playing field.