PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Optimism waning as talks trend 'backwards' EDIT: talks rebound!

Chris
06-30-2011, 04:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6721798

Booooooooo.

TheReverend
06-30-2011, 04:57 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/2r74o3l.gif

Taco John
06-30-2011, 04:58 PM
F a D

cutthemdown
06-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Time for the courts and Judge Doty to make some rulings now. Show both sides they won't like the courts answer. I heard the courts would screw the owners on revenue % and that could force a deal. But also they could make some ruling the NFLPA hates as well. Not sure what will happen but i am still confident we get a season.

baja
06-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Life without football, hey it might be good!

baja
06-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Bring in judge Judy,shell fix it.

JCMElway
06-30-2011, 05:54 PM
But, but, but......were there! I heard it on the light rail!

tsiguy96
06-30-2011, 05:55 PM
twitter report coming up...

@AlbertBreer
Now in their 11th hour of talks here today, was just told talks will go longer. Not sure how much longer. But we're into the night here.
28 minutes ago

SouthStndJunkie
06-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Figure it out quickly **** sticks, the longer this goes on, the less I will give a **** about the NFL this year.

I'm setting August 1st as my 'Eat a fat dick' deadline.

They don't get a deal done, they can eat my fat dick for the 2011 season.

No Directv Sunday Ticket, no Fantasy Football, I'll simply watch what games are on network tv with a passing interest.

Hogan11
06-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Figure it out quickly **** sticks, the longer this goes on, the less I will give a **** about the NFL this year.

I'm setting August 1st as my 'Eat a fat dick' deadline.

They don't get a deal done, they can eat my fat dick for the 2011 season.

No Directv Sunday Ticket, no Fantasy Football, I'll simply watch what games are on network tv with a passing interest.

July 20th is my "E.A.F.D." date.

RhymesayersDU
06-30-2011, 06:26 PM
I love these imaginary lines drawn in the sand.

Archer81
06-30-2011, 06:33 PM
A deal will get done when it gets done. Life goes on.

:Broncos:

SouthStndJunkie
06-30-2011, 06:33 PM
I love these imaginary lines drawn in the sand.

Are you being facetious?

The NFL and the Denver Broncos have a line in the sand....I don't pay for my season tickets by June 7th and I no longer have season tickets.

I don't pay Directv for my Sunday Ticket for a few months and they will shut it off.

If they want to keep dickering and start cutting into the season, that's cool....I simply won't be into it like I usually am.

It's ok....I'm not furious and pissed off about it, I have a lot of hobbies and interests.

I'll always like football, but I'm not interested in a crappy and diluted product, which I think will be the result of a shortened season.

oubronco
06-30-2011, 06:41 PM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2011/06/24/062411-Whitlock-football-PI_20110624135937734_196_100.JPG

Hogan11
06-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Are you being facetious?

The NFL and the Denver Broncos have a line in the sand....I don't pay for my season tickets by June 7th and I no longer have season tickets.

I don't pay Directv for my Sunday Ticket for a few months and they will shut it off.

If they want to keep dickering and start cutting into the season, that's cool....I simply won't be into it like I usually am.

It's ok....I'm not furious and pissed off about it, I have a lot of hobbies and interests.

I'll always like football, but I'm not interested in a crappy and diluted product, which I think will be the result of a shortened season.

A UGA home game is my backup plan and SEC tickets do not get cheaper the closer the game gets. If things in the NFL don't happen on schedule, the plug has to be pulled to make that happen without it costing an arm and a leg.

maher_tyler
06-30-2011, 08:13 PM
This **** is getting old!! They should be embarrassed/ashamed of themselves..all to make a few extra million!! Sadly, there not!!

LonghornBronco
06-30-2011, 08:52 PM
I think I'll actually join that sunday hockey league now

Broncobiv
06-30-2011, 09:07 PM
It's amusing to think for a second that if the NFL doesn't agree on something by so-and-so date, I'm DONE with them! No more NFL for me! Screw those greedy bastards...they just lost me as a fan!

But no. That's never going to happen for probably 95% of the posters here. If we miss out on a couple preseason games, I'll be anxiously awaiting the last 2 along with the regular season. If the season gets shortened to 12 or 8 games, I'll still be there every Sunday, watching with as much dedication as always. If the 2011 season is lost and they don't get it straightened out until 2012, boy will I be mad and disappointed, but I'll be right there following along with training camps in summer 2012.

The NFL is never going to lost me as a fan. In the short-term, I'll be pissed or upset or whatever if this keeps dragging on. But long-term? Hell no. Pro football is the greatest sport in the world to watch and follow, along with the inclusion of fantasy football. This lockout blows. Don't get me wrong. But the very second an agreement is reached, it's back to being the football maniac I have been my whole life! I'm not going to attempt to "punish" the NFL for what they've done by boycotting it. That's ridiculous.

Jason7730
06-30-2011, 09:25 PM
^ +1 Brother.

SouthStndJunkie
06-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't think I'm punishing the NFL....they will get on fine if I don't pay to watch the games this year.

I'll always be a fan....and will be back in the saddle for the 2012 season.

However, I'm not going to pay regular money for a diluted product this year....and that's what a shortened season will be.

All that said, I'm pretty confident they will end up playing a full season.

Lev Vyvanse
06-30-2011, 09:32 PM
http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/8600000/2x20-Drug-Testing-Animated-gif-the-office-8678029-325-187.gif

Mogulseeker
06-30-2011, 09:53 PM
http://podcasts.doubletwist.com/Channel-93-3-LOLs-505/8LGl91yFMS#q=a&id=8LGl91yFMS

Follow the link and click on the play button next to the "NFL lockout" link...

enjolras
06-30-2011, 09:57 PM
I truly believe no one has any clue what's going on...possibly including the people actually involved.

ICON
06-30-2011, 10:01 PM
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/evilcandi/office-space-flip-out_o_GIFSoupcom-1.gif?t=1303779960

Lev Vyvanse
06-30-2011, 10:04 PM
http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/evilcandi/office-space-flip-out_o_GIFSoupcom-1.gif?t=1303779960

Baseball is not going to fill this void.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Are you being facetious?

I'm not sure why people are concerned with a "crappy, diluted product." First off...what do you think college football is? Secondly, every NFL team will be on the same plane, you're not gonna notice the difference. The only way youre gonna get a crappy, diluted product is if the guys don't give effort, which will not be the case.

sgbfan
06-30-2011, 10:11 PM
It's amusing to think for a second that if the NFL doesn't agree on something by so-and-so date, I'm DONE with them! No more NFL for me! Screw those greedy bastards...they just lost me as a fan!

But no. That's never going to happen for probably 95% of the posters here. If we miss out on a couple preseason games, I'll be anxiously awaiting the last 2 along with the regular season. If the season gets shortened to 12 or 8 games, I'll still be there every Sunday, watching with as much dedication as always. If the 2011 season is lost and they don't get it straightened out until 2012, boy will I be mad and disappointed, but I'll be right there following along with training camps in summer 2012.

The NFL is never going to lost me as a fan. In the short-term, I'll be pissed or upset or whatever if this keeps dragging on. But long-term? Hell no. Pro football is the greatest sport in the world to watch and follow, along with the inclusion of fantasy football. This lockout blows. Don't get me wrong. But the very second an agreement is reached, it's back to being the football maniac I have been my whole life! I'm not going to attempt to "punish" the NFL for what they've done by boycotting it. That's ridiculous.

I agree. This idea reminds me of the "gas strike" idea. Because I buy gas yesterday or tomorrow and not today it will hurt the gas company? I am still driving the same amount. Football is the same. I don't like that they are locked out and that they might miss some of the season, but I won't stop watching when they do play. I think most fans are the same.

SouthStndJunkie
06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm not sure why people are concerned with a "crappy, diluted product." First off...what do you think college football is? Secondly, every NFL team will be on the same plane, you're not gonna notice the difference. The only way youre gonna get a crappy, diluted product is if the guys don't give effort, which will not be the case.

I don't pay several hundred dollars to watch college football on tv every year.

Second, I'll notice the difference.

You may not, but I will.

Are you telling me players like Tim Tebow aren't being affected by not working with the team this offseason?

What about the rookies? You think they can walk in and suit up after a few weeks and play the same as they would normally?

You don't think some of these players will be rolling into camp about 350 pounds and play themselves into shape because nobody was on their ass in the offseason?

What about free agents? You think they will be as good signing with a new team and working in the system for a few weeks?

What about injured players? You think they are getting all of the medical attention from the teams right now? I don't think so.

I don't see why some of you are so concerned with people not wanting to pay good money to see a partial season.

I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the years on Broncos season tickets for 16 or 17 years, traveling to games, NFL Sunday Ticket on directv, jerseys, autographs, fantasy football, etc....

If I choose to save a little money this year and not pay to watch a shortened season, that is my choice.

I hope they do play the entire season....I want to have a full season.

It's a major enjoyment in my life, but I'm simply not interested in paying big bucks to follow a hastily thrown together shortened season that will not be as good of a product.

Anything less than 16 games and I'll watch the games on tv for free and try and catch the Broncos on the Internet.

SouthStndJunkie
06-30-2011, 11:13 PM
I felt the same way as many of you during the strike shortened 1987 season, when I was 15 years old.

The NFL could have served me up a **** sandwich and I would have gobbled it down and asked for another.

Now I'm 39 years old and I know what a **** sandwich smells like.

sgbfan
06-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't pay several hundred dollars to watch college football on tv every year.

Second, I'll notice the difference.

You may not, but I will.

Are you telling me players like Tim Tebow aren't being affected by not working with the team this offseason?

What about the rookies? You think they can walk in and suit up after a few weeks and play the same as they would normally?

You don't think some of these players will be rolling into camp about 350 pounds and play themselves into shape because nobody was on their ass in the offseason?

What about free agents? You think they will be as good signing with a new team and working in the system for a few weeks?

What about injured players? You think they are getting all of the medical attention from the teams right now? I don't think so.

I don't see why some of you are so concerned with people not wanting to pay good money to see a partial season.

I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars over the years on Broncos season tickets for 16 or 17 years, traveling to games, NFL Sunday Ticket on directv, jerseys, autographs, fantasy football, etc....

If I choose to save a little money this year and not pay to watch a shortened season, that is my choice.

I hope they do play the entire season....I want to have a full season.

It's a major enjoyment in my life, but I'm simply not interested in paying big bucks to follow a hastily thrown together shortened season that will not be as good of a product.

Anything less than 16 games and I'll watch the games on tv for free and try and catch the Broncos on the Internet.

I don't have a problem with you feeling like that, but I do think that you are in the vast minority. Most people will continue to follow the game the same as they do every year. If you don't watch for your own reasons great. Its more the thought of people doing it to get back at the NFL that makes little sense. I think whatever "crap" they throw out there will get eaten by most.

SouthStndJunkie
06-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I don't have a problem with you feeling like that, but I do think that you are in the vast minority. Most people will continue to follow the game the same as they do every year. If you don't watch for your own reasons great. Its more the thought of people doing it to get back at the NFL that makes little sense. I think whatever "crap" they throw out there will get eaten by most.

I'm sure most people will....and the owners know this.

They will get this figured out before August 1st and then I can go into full on football mode and not have to carry through on my self imposed boycott.

cutthemdown
07-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Were going to get our season. God would not do that to Tebow.

ol#7
07-01-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm sure most people will....and the owners know this.

They will get this figured out before August 1st and then I can go into full on football mode and not have to carry through on my self imposed boycott.

So then, let me assume you paid for your season tickets already rather than lose your rights, the owners already have your money for whatever product they roll out onto the field. You have already purchased your **** sandwhich, it is just a matter if you will also have a serving of Direct TV to wash it down with.

Kaylore
07-01-2011, 05:16 AM

Yes and no. Teams that are installing new schemes will be at a huge disadvantage. That said, we were going to suck anyway, so we might just suck a bit more.

jhns
07-01-2011, 06:12 AM
They have already taken too long for me. I made all my vacation plans for the year and they don't include Bronco games. I still hope they get a deal done so I can watch them on TV. I just don't care if they hurru now.

tsiguy96
07-01-2011, 06:16 AM
pft has a lot of updates now. albert breer feels judge boylan has intervened now, thus the 2am finishing time of the last meeting and 8am start to todays negotiation.

Beantown Bronco
07-01-2011, 06:47 AM
I agree. This idea reminds me of the "gas strike" idea. Because I buy gas yesterday or tomorrow and not today it will hurt the gas company? I am still driving the same amount. Football is the same. I don't like that they are locked out and that they might miss some of the season, but I won't stop watching when they do play. I think most fans are the same.

Not at all the same, at least from my perspective. Here's what I've done:

Cancelled Sunday Ticket. That costs them money. Enough people do that, it will cost them big money.

I stopped purchasing nfl licensed clothes and trinkets. My average expenditure in that area = a few hundred dollars a year. Enough people do that, it will cost them big money.

No more clicks on NFL.com. I used to go to that site over 5 times a day, easy. Enough people do that, it will cost them big money.

I haven't turned on the NFL Network since the draft. I used to keep it on in the background most of the day, even in the offseason. Enough people do that, it will cost them big money.

I stopped going to games. I averaged one game a year or so before. Enough people do that, especially season ticket holders, it will dry up the waiting lists and eventually cost them big money.

Even if the vast majority don't change like I have, it doesn't matter. They just need to lose enough people to feel "x" amount of pain in their wallets. And with each passing day, they get closer and closer to "x" IMO.

gunns
07-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Couldn't be anymore diluted than last year. Last year, the Broncos were drowning. I just think they've been talking for too damn long, giving some too much time to think of what they might get if they keep talking. And get the damn lawyers out of there. They need to put it on the table and vote. The owners that vote against it get Josh McDaniels as their head coach for two years. Bring some duct tape for Smith and if he flips off the owners consider that a yay vote.

SouthStndJunkie
07-01-2011, 07:27 AM
So then, let me assume you paid for your season tickets already rather than lose your rights, the owners already have your money for whatever product they roll out onto the field. You have already purchased your **** sandwhich, it is just a matter if you will also have a serving of Direct TV to wash it down with.

Actually, I live in Ohio now.

My bud in Fort Collins sends me a check every year for the full amount of the tickets.

I'm not out a nickel.

I wouldn't have posted that long diatribe if I had shelled out over $1500 bucks of my own money already.

sutoazul
07-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Not at all the same, at least from my perspective. Here's what I've done:

Cancelled Sunday Ticket. That costs them money. Enough people do that, it will cost them big money.

I stopped purchasing nfl licensed clothes and trinkets. My average expenditure in that area = a few hundred dollars a year. Enough people do that, it will cost them big money.

No more clicks on NFL.com. I used to go to that site over 5 times a day, easy. Enough people do that, it will cost them big money.

I haven't turned on the NFL Network since the draft. I used to keep it on in the background most of the day, even in the offseason. Enough people do that, it will cost them big money.

I stopped going to games. I averaged one game a year or so before. Enough people do that, especially season ticket holders, it will dry up the waiting lists and eventually cost them big money.

Even if the vast majority don't change like I have, it doesn't matter. They just need to lose enough people to feel "x" amount of pain in their wallets. And with each passing day, they get closer and closer to "x" IMO.

I've been doing the same. I haven't tune in to the NFL network, or click on nfl.com and I'm not planning on buying any merchandise this year unless the games start ontime as per the schedule released earilier this year. I know I going to watch the games on TV or on the internet, there's not getting out of that but at least they are not getting my clicks on their website, or the ratings on their networks until a deal is reached. Oh and I would not sign up for fantasy until everything is done, ussually by this time of the year you knew which leagues you were going to participate in.

I remember a couple weeks ago a report saying their hits on nfl.com were down as well as their tv ratings on NFL network, same with the fantasy football companies.

SonOfLe-loLang
07-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Yes and no. Teams that are installing new schemes will be at a huge disadvantage. That said, we were going to suck anyway, so we might just suck a bit more.

haha thats true.

I guess my main point is competition is competition. We're not drinking fine wine here. My passion for the broncos, or football in general, isnt measured by how many amazing catches or great plays they have. Its for the grind of football, which is gonna exist regardless. People enjoyed football in the 1960's and 70's, long before OTAs, minicamps, etc

TheElusiveKyleOrton
07-01-2011, 08:05 AM

Clearly you meant that Tebow would not do that to God.

Kaylore
07-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Clearly you meant that Tebow would not do that to God.

Ha!

tsiguy96
07-01-2011, 09:09 AM
AlbertBreer:

Filed to NFL Network: Owners and players made major strides on the revenue split last night & this morning, after talks nearly broke down.

... It's to the point now where next week, it might not be a major stumbling block if the rest can be worked out. Huge rebound.

TheReverend
07-01-2011, 09:11 AM
AlbertBreer:

Filed to NFL Network: Owners and players made major strides on the revenue split last night & this morning, after talks nearly broke down.

... It's to the point now where next week, it might not be a major stumbling block if the rest can be worked out. Huge rebound.

Not falling for this optimism like I have the last dozen times they made "major strides"

****ers

tsiguy96
07-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Not falling for this optimism like I have the last dozen times they made "major strides"

****ers

i guess that exact same thing has basically been said atleast 5 times in the last month.

Taco John
07-01-2011, 09:20 AM

THis is a fair point. Optimism has been renewed in me. God would not forsake Tebow...

CEH
07-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I think they will have a handshake agreement by the end of the weekend
Then the paper work will take whatever
Start of free agency July 22 or so
Signing UDFA will take hours rookies maybe a week
Probably a lost of 1 to 2 preason games

tsiguy96
07-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I think they will have a handshake agreement by the end of the weekend
Then the paper work will take whatever
Start of free agency July 22 or so
Signing UDFA will take hours rookies maybe a week
Probably a lost of 1 to 2 preason games

i dont think any games will be lost, FA and TC will be cut short before that happens as that is millions on top of millions of dollars lost to both sides of the coin.

broncocalijohn
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Dont you mean Tebow would not do that to God?

I won't go as far as SSJ but I am just going to continue to do my regular, scheduled life and if it is on Sunday, so be it. Only two things that might change concerning this lockout continuing into deep July. One is it would be almost definite that I wouldn't be going out for the home opener and second is I would probably sign my kids up for Winter Baseball that is played on Sundays at 12noon or 1PM.

That One Guy
07-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Dont you mean Tebow would not do that to God?

I won't go as far as SSJ but I am just going to continue to do my regular, scheduled life and if it is on Sunday, so be it. Only two things that might change concerning this lockout continuing into deep July. One is it would be almost definite that I wouldn't be going out for the home opener and second is I would probably sign my kids up for Winter Baseball that is played on Sundays at 12noon or 1PM.

Did you really just make that joke four hours after someone else did?

And baseball? Why punish your kids because the NFL is locked out?

OABB
07-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Dont you mean tebow wouldnt do that to god?

broncocalijohn
07-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Did you really just make that joke four hours after someone else did?

And baseball? Why punish your kids because the NFL is locked out?

Oh, I now see that I should have read the whole thing. Timing is everything and elusiveorton gets it. Too many on the same wavelink.

cutthemdown
07-01-2011, 04:35 PM
They will hammer out a deal just because there is so much money to be split up. The NBA has less revenue and that one could miss a huge chunk if not a whole season. Broncos will be playing Raiders first game right? Man I hope they will be ready. The Raiders have been working more then most teams.