PDA

View Full Version : PFT: Deal may be imminent? Edit: Nope

Kaylore
06-29-2011, 08:02 AM
This is actually a decent take on why it could be sooner than later.

Current talks look like a final push to complete the deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/29/current-talks-look-like-a-final-push-to-complete-the-deal/

The fact that the owners and players arenít present strongly suggests that the process has moved from concepts to concrete, with the lawyers taking all the things on which the parties agree and creating the guts of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. At one point in the past few weeks, there was a report that the process was 80-to-85 percent complete. The reality is that 85 percent or more of the expired CBA wasnít in dispute in the first place. The parties were focused on several big issues and a group of secondary matters, with much of the arrangement between them not in question.

...As weíve said before, it would be brilliant for the parties to announce that the situation has been resolved before the upcoming three-day weekend. Though that may not mean the announcement of a handshake deal on Thursday, it could mean the announcement of a dotted-iís and crossed-tís legal document being filed in court on Friday.Read the whole thing.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Fap.

Kaylore
06-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Florio doesn't do so hot with actual football analysis and predictions and whatnot, but he is a lawyer and this whole process and his familiarity with it is evident and I'm more inclined to believe him on this than someone like Chris Mortenson or even Adam Schefter. Remember as a "news source" he and his associates have also been told things off the record which they can use to supplement their predictions on a due date.

srphoenix
06-29-2011, 08:14 AM
He's also been the least enthused about previous developments, so I think for him to come out and say that its close to done carries a ton of weight. Whatever the case, I hope he's right, I can't wait to see whats going to happen in the first few days of free agency.

Kaylore
06-29-2011, 08:16 AM
He's also been the least enthused about previous developments, so I think for him to come out and say that its close to done carries a ton of weight. Whatever the case, I hope he's right, I can't wait to see whats going to happen in the first few days of free agency.

If free agency kicked off by the fourth, It would be an epically fun weekend. Best football stories in July ever, for sure.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-29-2011, 08:24 AM
If free agency kicked off by the fourth, It would be an epically fun weekend. Best football stories in July ever, for sure.

FAP.

FAP FAP FAP.

FAP.

55CrushEm
06-29-2011, 08:27 AM
FAP.

FAP FAP FAP.

FAP.

:rofl:

dbfan21
06-29-2011, 08:28 AM
FAP.

FAP FAP FAP.

FAP.

:approve:

55CrushEm
06-29-2011, 08:29 AM

dbfan21
06-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Great news, Kaylore!! Thanks for posting. I sure hope they can get things knocked out this week. With traning camp right around the corner, we still have time to nab a few key FAs before we get rolling.

Let it be true!!!!!

55CrushEm
06-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Hercules Rockefeller
06-29-2011, 08:39 AM
Florio doesn't do so hot with actual football analysis and predictions and whatnot, but he is a lawyer and this whole process and his familiarity with it is evident and I'm more inclined to believe him on this than someone like Chris Mortenson or even Adam Schefter. Remember as a "news source" he and his associates have also been told things off the record which they can use to supplement their predictions on a due date.

Isn't Florio an ambulance chaser and not a transactional attorney?

Kaylore
06-29-2011, 08:46 AM

I have no idea. I thought he did contracts...

TonyR
06-29-2011, 08:53 AM

Labor law, apparently...

http://www.wvrecord.com/news/219717-west-virginia-lawyers-nfl-blog-goes-big-time

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Labor law, apparently...

http://www.wvrecord.com/news/219717-west-virginia-lawyers-nfl-blog-goes-big-time

So... I mean...

Does that mean I can resume fapping?

I'm sorry, it's just that... well... the idea of the Fourth coinciding with the opening of free agency/trades gets me all... well... you know...

TheReverend
06-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Anyone else feel like PFT went from bad to great over the past few years?

Kaylore
06-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Labor law, apparently...

I didn't see a link, but this suggests (http://www.superlawyers.com/west-virginia/lawyer/Michael-J-Florio/7932ea73-79e6-4c3f-9209-b5af96e72d8b.html) Herc is right and he's a litigator. Also his wiki page says he's a life long Vikings fan. Someone had said he was a Steeler fan. That actually makes me like him a bit more, if true.

Anyone else feel like PFT went from bad to great over the past few years?

I wouldn't go that far. But being picked up by NBC really legitimized them. They now have better sources and they have cooled on the hater-ade for teams to some degree. This offseason their analysis has been the best, imo on the whole situation. Florio went out on a limb here. It will be interesting to see if this bites him in the butt.

BMarsh615
06-29-2011, 09:09 AM
Florio just posted a new story saying that maybe things aren't as close as he thought.

We painted earlier today a fairly rosy picture (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/29/current-talks-look-like-a-final-push-to-complete-the-deal/) of the current status of the labor negotiations, based on the four straight days of talks with no players or owners present ó and the decision of the two key figures in the labor dispute to behave like old friends, not mortal enemies, via their trip to Florida for Roger Goodellís appearance at the seminar for the rookies organized by DeMaurice Smith.

Since then, weíve learned from a source with knowledge of the dynamics on both sides of the table that the process remains, relatively speaking, far from over. And the blame for the delay is being placed on the owners.

Per the source, a deal could have been done a week or two ago, but the owners have been playing games with some of the numbers, possibly relying upon the emergence and strengthening sense that the players are ready to get a deal done in order to squeeze the players on some of the smaller issues.
More... (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/29/onus-falls-on-owners-to-get-deal-done/)

bowtown
06-29-2011, 09:11 AM
Florio just posted a new story saying that maybe things aren't as close as he thought.

More... (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/29/current-talks-look-like-a-final-push-to-complete-the-deal/)

Did he blame the Broncos or Shanahan?

Beantown Bronco
06-29-2011, 09:22 AM
Well, that didn't take too long to blow up in Florio's face. Typical.

TheReverend
06-29-2011, 09:27 AM
Well, that didn't take too long to blow up in Florio's face. Typical.

I like how I wait MONTHS to give him/that site a compliment and then IMMEDIATELY after...

OABB
06-29-2011, 09:32 AM
blue balls.

TheReverend
06-29-2011, 09:35 AM
blue balls.

Best implied analogy to date.

Kaylore
06-29-2011, 09:36 AM
blue balls.

This

Kaylore
06-29-2011, 09:41 AM
The "source" is probably Dominique Foxworth, a player rep who likes pretending he knows more than he does and has a bad habit of simultaneously misrepresenting a situation and crudely reminding you he's one of the "special guys" in the know. At the very least, only a player would characterize a situation as "all the owners."

The possibility Florio never addresses is the rumors a few weeks back a few of the owners weren't thrilled. Likely it is more than 9, enough to halt any kind of deal. This could mean that each owner holding out is being courted individually, similar to a bill on congress, to try and determine what it will take to sway enough to give the go-ahead. That would take a lot of time if each one had a different issue and they knew they were the tie-changing vote. That's my guess, anyway.

Taco John
06-29-2011, 10:42 AM
This sucks. Worst offseason ever, and that's saying something from people who went through the McCutler debacle. At least when Josh was destroying this team piece by piece we had something to talk about.

What we need right now is a large group of morons who are unreasonably optimistic about things, despite how horrible it all looks, and willing to put themselves out there by loudly proclaiming their optimism and calling all the realists idiots for not sharing in their unfounded and brainless enthusiasm. That would put a kick in our step. Any volunteers?

/quality trolling

Captain 'Dre
06-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Just how much of this schidt to the owners think can go on before a certain percentage of fans get tired of being screwed, and lose interest?

They're killing the goose that lays golden eggs, IMO.

alkemical
06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Just how much of this schidt to the owners think can go on before a certain percentage of fans get tired of being screwed, and lose interest?

I've been having my interest dwindle for several years now. Maybe it coincides with the mediocrity of the donks the last decade - I just feel the NFL is focusing on parts of the business that isn't the 'bread and butter'.

Just as in those advertisements they had: "Go to the NFL" - Not for $300/day. pffft.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-29-2011, 11:00 AM
This sucks. Worst offseason ever, and that's saying something from people who went through the McCutler debacle. At least when Josh was destroying this team piece by piece we had something to talk about.

What we need right now is a large group of morons who are unreasonably optimistic about things, despite how horrible it all looks, and willing to put themselves out there by loudly proclaiming their optimism and calling all the realists idiots for not sharing in their unfounded and brainless enthusiasm. That would put a kick in our step. Any volunteers?

/quality trolling

And from the site founder, no less. How proud you must be of what you've helped create.

Selectively moving political threads to the political forum where they belong, calling out posters like a child... you've really got it all, Taco.

bowtown
06-29-2011, 11:04 AM

I expect this thing to be sorted out by the end of the week. We should have the rookies signed pretty much right after that. I don't see any glaring holes or weaknesses on this team. We should coast to division title. From there, it's just a mater of beating a couple of teams on our home turff. I've already put $10,000 on us to win it all.

Taco John
06-29-2011, 11:06 AM
And from the site founder, no less. How proud you must be of what you've helped create.

Selectively moving political threads to the political forum where they belong, calling out posters like a child... you've really got it all, Taco.

Don't hate me 'cuz I'm beautiful.

The vacuum in your soul where the rest of us contain a sense of humor is not news to me.

bowtown
06-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I expect this thing to be sorted out by the end of the week. We should have the rookies signed pretty much right after that. I don't see any glaring holes or weaknesses on this team. We should coast to division title. From there, it's just a mater of beating a couple of teams on our home turff. I've already put $10,000 on us to win it all.

Also, I'm going to move to Myrtle Beach with my GF. I think it's going to be a very smart move.

Taco John
06-29-2011, 11:08 AM

I applaud the effort, but there's just a certain wild-eyed arrogant fauxtimism that is missing. Maybe you could call me an idiot for not buying into it. Tell me I don't love the NFL as much as you do. Somehow blame me and the rest of us idiots who aren't feeling it for our shortcomings in perception... That might be the missing ingredient.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Don't hate me 'cuz I'm beautiful.

The vacuum in your soul where the rest of us contain a sense of humor is not news to me.

Oh, you don't see the humor in your inability to police the site you created? I find it hilarious.

Appreciate you playing along, though. Good job, buddy!

TheReverend
06-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I applaud the effort, but there's just a certain wild-eyed arrogant fauxtimism that is missing. Maybe you could call me an idiot for not buying into it. Tell me I don't love the NFL as much as you do. Somehow blame me and the rest of us idiots who aren't feeling it for our shortcomings in perception... That might be the missing ingredient.

You're clearly not a real NFL fan. Why don't you just go follow the NHL? It's clear that's what you want to do.

Taco John
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh, you don't see the humor in your inability to police the site you created? I find it hilarious.

Appreciate you playing along, though. Good job, buddy!

I think this place is "policed" well enough. Our moderator logs show that we step in where appropriate. But it's true that I'd rather have an under-moderated site than an over-moderated one. And the criticism that I move political threads once they start over-saturating the main forum is one that can live with and still sleep well at night.

Taco John
06-29-2011, 11:21 AM
You're clearly not a real NFL fan. Why don't you just go follow the NHL? It's clear that's what you want to do.

Now we're getting warmer. But it's missing a tinge of malice.

Beantown Bronco
06-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Also, I'm going to move to Myrtle Beach with my GF. I think it's going to be a very smart move.

I hear there are some great opportunities for wait staff in that area.

How does your family feel about her?

Cito Pelon
06-29-2011, 11:53 AM

/quality trolling

I'm in. Glad to help you out.

Seriously, it's gonna happen soon. Both sides are chomping at the 'but' to get this done. It's simply a matter of somethings, therefore something good is gonna happen. I'm sure we can all agree about that.

Cito Pelon
06-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I don't agree with fauxtimism either. I bought a Rolecks like that one time.

Bronco Vixen
06-29-2011, 12:10 PM
The "source" is probably Dominique Foxworth, a player rep who likes pretending he knows more than he does and has a bad habit of simultaneously misrepresenting a situation and crudely reminding you he's one of the "special guys" in the know. At the very least, only a player would characterize a situation as "all the owners."

Like he was worth a 30 million dollar contract when he couldn't even cover my grandma?

He needs to worry less about running his mouth than rehabbing his knee. Just continuing to disappoint us like old times.

Bronco Vixen
06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
blue balls.

So happy you're back!

Beantown Bronco
06-29-2011, 12:14 PM
Like he was worth a 30 million dollar contract when he couldn't even cover my grandma?

Well, to be fair, that's what the Ravens gave him. So he was right.

OABB
06-29-2011, 12:29 PM

/quality trolling

I agree. It's a snoozefest as of late.

Really for me, it's watching tailgatenut get his panties in a bunch about Tebow. I think that will be my entertainment for years to come. and have enjoyed his lapses in judgement and anger.

Hillis is played out, and so is mcd.

It's the tebow wedge era.

Also, let's not forget Knowshon and how much people hate him for choosing to be picked 12th overall. good stuff there too.

OABB
06-29-2011, 12:29 PM
So happy you're back!

Me too. Thanks for noticing!

CEH
06-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I agree. It's a snoozefest as of late.

Really for me, it's watching tailgatenut get his panties in a bunch about Tebow. I think that will be my entertainment for years to come. and have enjoyed his lapses in judgement and anger.

Hillis is played out, and so is mcd.

It's the tebow wedge era.

Also, let's not forget Knowshon and how much people hate him for choosing to be picked 12th overall. good stuff there too.

Watch what happens once FA starts and then by the time the season rolls around. You'll get a good idea just how much EFX thinks about Knowshown.

underrated29
06-29-2011, 01:01 PM

And whats wrong with following the NHL?

TheReverend
06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
And whats wrong with following the NHL?

...over your head

Kaylore
06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Taco, how dare you get this thread off the subject of masturbation!

underrated29
06-29-2011, 01:32 PM
...over your head

Gotchya...Only been around long enough to get the ambien story, the south carolina and matt prater locking up the kicking job.

Vegas_Bronco
06-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Watch what happens once FA starts and then by the time the season rolls around. You'll get a good idea just how much EFX thinks about Knowshown.

I always enjoy me a good RB that has to play defense...makes a great story.

DBroncos4life
06-29-2011, 01:49 PM

/quality trolling

Well so far none of our players with a bit of talent has been traded away so Fox is doing a bang up job in my book.

RhymesayersDU
06-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Well so far none of our players with a bit of talent has been traded away so Fox is doing a bang up job in my book.

ROFL, /thread

Beantown Bronco
06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Gotchya...Only been around long enough to get the ambien story, the south carolina and matt prater locking up the kicking job.

Not to nitpick, but it was Colquitt who locked up his position, not my boy Prater.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=92319

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Not to nitpick, but it was Colquitt who locked up his position, not my boy Prater.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=92319

We're not bringing in any competition?

Baba Booey
06-29-2011, 03:09 PM
http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/7831/1281899860420.jpg

enjolras
06-29-2011, 04:20 PM

I don't think there IS any outrage. Not until they miss the first regular season game. Nobody really feels that angry because free-agency hasn't happened yet. At least not anyone sane:)

Abqbronco
06-30-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't think there IS any outrage. Not until they miss the first regular season game. Nobody really feels that angry because free-agency hasn't happened yet. At least not anyone sane:)

I'm angry. I'm outraged. I'm sane. I think....

BMarsh615
07-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Lawyers are drafting language for potential agreement, sharing it with PA. All kinds of phone, email exchanges going on. Work continues.

https://twitter.com/gregaiello/status/87219533588344832

Kaylore
07-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Lawyers are drafting language for potential agreement, sharing it with PA. All kinds of phone, email exchanges going on. Work continues.

https://twitter.com/gregaiello/status/87219533588344832

This doesn't mean they're drafting a proposal necessarily (though they could be), it just means they are working over the weekend. Both parties didn't want to convey a lackadaisical attitude and wanted fans to know there is a sense of urgency. Given the money they are a butt hair away from losing if this isn't resolved in the next couple weeks, its hard to believe anyone wouldn't be taking this seriously.