PDA

View Full Version : Another dumb "girl plays football" story

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
I particularly love the title.

Ohio girl is homecoming queen and star kicker on same night

By Cameron Smith

Chippewa (Ohio) High School senior Jackie Kasburg had a one-of-a-kind homecoming last Friday. Wearing her customary pink gameday cleats, she kicked three extra points during the Chipps' 55-27 loss to Rittman (Ohio) High in the first game action of her high school career. Then, to top off the night, she was named homecoming queen.

"I grew up with football, playing in the backyard with my brothers," Kasburg told the Associated Press. "I just thought [the team] isn't doing so good and I might as well try out to see if I can help.

"I had never kicked a football until three weeks ago. My dad took me out the Sunday before my first practice and had me doing stuff. I was terrible at first, but then my dad told me the steps to take. I love it now. I think the fact I've played soccer for 13 years helped me pick it up really quickly."

According to The Daily Record of Wooster, Ohio, and the Associated Press, Kasburg on Friday nailed all three of her point-after touchdown kicks, which were the first she's attempted since joining Chippewa's team. The Chipps were shut out in their previous three games. The senior earned her placekicking role by out-kicking the team's prior starter, Mike Bramley, in a practice competition, and quickly gained the support of her new coach.

Star kicker... she hit 3 PATs in a game they lost 55-27 and she's the 'star kicker'. I went looking to see if those 3 PATs were all she attempted but didn't find it in a quick search. If she was their kicker, they didn't say she kicked any FGs, then that means SOMEONE probably missed a PAT. Their wording also is "she hit three..." and not "she hit all three...".

I don't hate women but man I hate these stories. I hope she gets destroyed out there.

Read the rest of the crappyness here:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Ohio-girl-is-homecoming-queen-and-star-kicker-on?urn=highschool-275126

Garcia Bronco
06-27-2011, 05:22 PM
eah...we should support our women.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 05:24 PM
I support them when they don't make a mockery of men's sports and get preferential treatment.

Garcia Bronco
06-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I support them when they don't make a mockery of men's sports and get preferential treatment.

It was her first game according to the article. I don't think she's making a mockery of anything.

TheReverend
06-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Can you imagine the article of "homecoming king doubles as star field hockey player"?

I'd die laughing.

mkporter
06-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Can you imagine the article of "homecoming king doubles as star field hockey player"?

I'd die laughing.

I'm not sure if he's popular enough to be homecoming king:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Male-star-leads-field-hockey-team-Is-he-an-unfa?urn=highschool-285871

mkporter
06-27-2011, 05:38 PM

What makes you think she got preferential treatment? The article says she out kicked the previous kicker. She might suck as a kicker, but the other dude apparently sucked even worse.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
It was her first game according to the article. I don't think she's making a mockery of anything.

"I grew up with football, playing in the backyard with my brothers," Kasburg told the Associated Press. "I just thought [the team] isn't doing so good and I might as well try out to see if I can help.

"I had never kicked a football until three weeks ago. My dad took me out the Sunday before my first practice and had me doing stuff. I was terrible at first, but then my dad told me the steps to take. I love it now. I think the fact I've played soccer for 13 years helped me pick it up really quickly."

Can you imagine if a 5'6 boy showed up and said "I see y'all aint doing too good, teach me this foos-ball game and let me see if I can help."?

If she weren't a girl, she wouldn't be on the field in that situation and she wouldn't have a news article.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 05:41 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Male-star-leads-field-hockey-team-Is-he-an-unfa?urn=highschool-285871

Haha, awesome.

TheReverend
06-27-2011, 05:44 PM

The difference is he's dragging his team through the playoffs:

"What is surprising is how Seminary is advancing through the playoffs, on the back of a male player who is singlehandedly dominating all Seminary's opponents."

While she is... well... kicking a few extra points in blow outs when 2nd/3rd stringers get PT.

"during the Chipps' 55-27 loss to Rittman"

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 05:45 PM
What makes you think she got preferential treatment? The article says she out kicked the previous kicker. She might suck as a kicker, but the other dude apparently sucked even worse.

Not just in her being there (while that is, I think, preferential) but the news article and her being called the star kicker.

In the article that spawned that one, the coach said they were doing pretty bad so he's been playing a lot of young players so that part could be legit. It's just the sentiments around it that bother me.

mkporter
06-27-2011, 05:48 PM

Can you imagine if a 5'6 boy showed up and said "I see y'all aint doing too good, teach me this foos-ball game and let me see if I can help."?

If she weren't a girl, she wouldn't be on the field in that situation and she wouldn't have a news article.

Noting that her high school team is crappy, and then beating out their existing kicker is not making a mockery out of anything. If your 5'6" boy could kick better than anyone else on the team then they should play him. You are right that there wouldn't be an article though.

From the article:

According to The Daily Record of Wooster, Ohio, and the Associated Press, Kasburg on Friday nailed all three of her point-after touchdown kicks, which were the first she's attempted since joining Chippewa's team. The Chipps were shut out in their previous three games. The senior earned her placekicking role by out-kicking the team's prior starter, Mike Bramley, in a practice competition, and quickly gained the support of her new coach.

mkporter
06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
The difference is he's dragging his team through the playoffs:

"What is surprising is how Seminary is advancing through the playoffs, on the back of a male player who is singlehandedly dominating all Seminary's opponents."

While she is... well... kicking a few extra points in blow outs when 2nd/3rd stringers get PT.

"during the Chipps' 55-27 loss to Rittman"

Yeah, I agree that she's hardly a "star" kicker. A little overzealous on the writers (or editors) part. The rest of the article does nothing to support that claim.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Noting that her high school team is crappy, and then beating out their existing kicker is not making a mockery out of anything. If your 5'6" boy could kick better than anyone else on the team then they should play him. You are right that there wouldn't be an article though.

From the article:

I can agree with that. I think I'm overly skeptical because she's a girl. This paragraph:

"She's such a great kid, and a real positive influence on the younger kids," Chippewa coach Kevin Wolf told The Daily Record. "She's a winner. She does all the drills, because I can't put her out there if she can't protect herself."

reminds me of the oh so many "she tried so hard, she deserved her shot" attitude we often see in these stories.

TheReverend
06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Star kicker... she hit 3 PATs in a game they lost 55-27 and she's the 'star kicker'. I went looking to see if those 3 PATs were all she attempted but didn't find it in a quick search. If she was their kicker, they didn't say she kicked any FGs, then that means SOMEONE probably missed a PAT. Their wording also is "she hit three..." and not "she hit all three..."

Your suspicion is confirmed.

Kasburg made 3-of-4 PAT kicks

http://www.the-daily-record.com/news/article/4903617

Look out Division 1.

Garcia Bronco
06-27-2011, 05:58 PM
13 years of soccer. Hmmmm..sounds like an athlete.

TheReverend
06-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Also, from that article I just posted, it seems to have been a major point in the community for a losing team and a first year coach.

Also the kicker she "out kicked" was moved from RB to QB the same week he was "demoted" from kicking.

1+1=?

TheReverend
06-27-2011, 06:01 PM
13 years of soccer. Hmmmm..sounds like an athlete.

Absolutely. I think his point is she should just earn national attention on her merit instead of a feel good story where she's portrayed as something she's not.

One day a girl will hit a game winning 45-50 yard FG and be scouted by legit collegiate programs. She will deserve it.

This is just a cute story. Which is fine.

Garcia Bronco
06-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Absolutely. I think his point is she should just earn national attention on her merit instead of a feel good story where she's portrayed as something she's not.

One day a girl will hit a game winning 45-50 yard FG and be scouted by legit collegiate programs. She will deserve it.

This is just a cute story. Which is fine.

lol..whatever...it's a unique story. In her first game, she banged in 3 kicks out of 4 having never played a game.

TheReverend
06-27-2011, 06:10 PM
lol..whatever...it's a unique story. In her first game, she banged in 3 kicks out of 4 having never played a game.

I agree with it being a unique story. And good for her.

...but 3/4? And that earning her "star" status?

Gtfo. I've seen guys get slapped by coaches for missing an extra point even in HS.

You practically have to trip on the way to not convert a PAT.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 06:14 PM

F'ing PATs. Only hitting 3 of 4 is not an accomplishment.

More nuggets from TheRev's link:

Wolf said Kasburg was able to outkick Mark Bramley, the first-string player they had been using for field goals and PATs (point after touchdowns). Coupled with her sincere attitude about helping the team, Wolf made Kasburg the starting place-kicker.

"She approached me about kicking two weeks into the season," Wolf said. "She outkicked Bramley in practice. She's a solid kicker, who made a 43-yard field goal in practice, but we can't get a touchdown to let her do her thing.

"For what we're trying to create here, she's got all the qualities. She's as good for the program as we've got right now."

Bramley, who has a stronger leg but not quite the accuracy as Kasburg, has continued to handle kickoff chores. Bramley has plenty of other responsibilities, as he will move from running back to quarterback this week and also play safety.

So, a recap "ZOMG!, she hit a 43 yder!"... but he has a stronger leg. "ZOMG!, she's more accurate though!"... though she misses f'ing PATs (how bad must he be?). "ZOMG!, she has such a great attitude!"... but she approached the team 2 weeks into the season about joining after everyone else paid their dues...

At this point I'm just finding more reasons to roll my eyes but I can't help but be skeptical.

enjolras
06-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Gtfo. I've seen guys get slapped by coaches for missing an extra point even in HS.

You practically have to trip on the way to not convert a PAT.

I've also seen division I college coaches hold open tryouts just HOPING that someone at their school can kick at all:)

At least when I was in high school (Florida, Georgia, and Arkansas) I saw a BUNCH of high school teams who didn't have anyone who could kick. More than one school would go for two after every TD because they didn't have a kicker that could reliably make extra points.

Good for her.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 06:20 PM
I've also seen division I college coaches hold open tryouts just HOPING that someone at their school can kick at all:)

At least when I was in high school (Florida, Georgia, and Arkansas) I saw a BUNCH of high school teams who didn't have anyone who could kick. More than one school would go for two after every TD because they didn't have a kicker that could reliably make extra points.

Good for her.

That's pretty sad. My HS used soccer players as their kickers but you had to be there on day one. You did football camp then went to soccer and stepped in for football games and practiced kinda informally. They usually had about 3 or 4 guys go through camp as kickers (and for good conditioning).

I'm absolutely confident that if you give me a day's heads up, I can drill PATs till I'm blue in the face and hit 90%. Since they couldn't get a TD or into FG range, she had 3 weeks to practice before she actually got to try.

TheReverend
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM

Good for her.

I don't believe that for a second. I've seen a lot of teams that do that because a few yards is hard NOT to gain in HS.

Here's the "star kickers" resume for last year:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/aE5UJ53bBki4g-fXZYbLyQ/football-fall-10/stats-jackie-kasburg.htm

0 FGs
8 PATs (looks like she missed TWO --1 for 3-- the week after that article)

Definitely needs national attention...

Pony Boy
06-27-2011, 07:35 PM
Another dumb "girl plays football" story

I don't see a problem here......

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Another dumb "girl plays football" story

I don't see a problem here......

Look at the veins in her arms, oh god no!

DomCasual
06-27-2011, 07:57 PM
I completely don't get the whole fascination with girls breaking the gender barrier in sports. Females are made different than males - and thank God for that!

enjolras
06-27-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't believe that for a second. I've seen a lot of teams that do that because a few yards is hard NOT to gain in HS.

That you're choosing not to believe it will greatly effect my ability to sleep tonight I assure you.

TheReverend
06-27-2011, 08:07 PM
That you're choosing not to believe it will greatly effect my ability to sleep tonight I assure you.

I simply regret you getting the impression that I cared.

Swedish Extrovert
06-27-2011, 08:13 PM
We played JK Mullen in HS, and they had a female playing offensive guard. I was a safety and she was about 6'1" and weighed at least 315. It was all fat though... I didn't have to hit her cause she was so immobile.

broncocalijohn
06-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Thu Oct 07 09:03am EDT
Ohio girl is homecoming queen and star kicker on same night (http://sports.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Ohio-girl-is-homecoming-queen-and-star-kicker-on?urn=highschool-275126)

By Cameron Smith (http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally?author=Cameron+Smith)

No one else cared to ask That One Guy why he is talking about an article from almost 2 years ago? Homecoming Queen in June playing football? I always thought we bumped old threads not digging in Yahoo's horrible Sport writing articles for news. I know it is the lockout and all but damn....Oct 7, 2009.

Garcia Bronco
06-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I completely don't get the whole fascination with girls breaking the gender barrier in sports. Females are made different than males - and thank God for that!

I completely agree. However, if the community is okay with it, and specifically the parents...I think it's great.

vancejohnson82
06-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Thu Oct 07 09:03am EDT
Ohio girl is homecoming queen and star kicker on same night (http://sports.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Ohio-girl-is-homecoming-queen-and-star-kicker-on?urn=highschool-275126)

By Cameron Smith (http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally?author=Cameron+Smith)

No one else cared to ask That One Guy why he is talking about an article from almost 2 years ago? Homecoming Queen in June playing football? I always thought we bumped old threads not digging in Yahoo's horrible Sport writing articles for news. I know it is the lockout and all but damn....Oct 7, 2009.

my guess would be it's a different older thread over at "BlatantSexismiHateWomen.com"

That One Guy
06-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Just came across it over on Yahoo. Didn't give it much though.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-28-2011, 05:54 AM
I hope she gets destroyed out there.

You're clearly healthy and well-adjusted.

bronco militia
06-28-2011, 06:53 AM
I hope she gets destroyed out there.

die b****!
Ha!

That One Guy
06-28-2011, 07:00 AM
I hate love stories mixed into my action movies and I hate feel good stories mixed in with my sports. What can I say? I think it would've been funny if Rudy had gotten destroyed in the movie as well. I thought it was funny when [I believe it was Montana] mentioned that the whole scenario surrounding the end of Rudy wasn't true. I can watch Lifetime if I want that silly feel good crap.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-28-2011, 07:04 AM
I hate love stories mixed into my action movies and I hate feel good stories mixed in with my sports. What can I say? I think it would've been funny if Rudy had gotten destroyed in the movie as well. I thought it was funny when [I believe it was Montana] mentioned that the whole scenario surrounding the end of Rudy wasn't true. I can watch Lifetime if I want that silly feel good crap.

Or you can dig up 6 month old sports stories and post them, saying you hope a teenage girl kicker gets destroyed.

LOL

That One Guy
06-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Or you can dig up 6 month old sports stories and post them, saying you hope a teenage girl kicker gets destroyed.

LOL

The story was on the front page of Yahoo yesterday. The point stands - they had a dumb story full of hype about a star kicker that can't kick. I figured it was from last season and they were slow getting it around but didn't (and haven't since) given the date any consideration. I don't even care enough to click the original like I posted and see what the date was. I hadn't seen it, thought it was stupid, and shared it but why Yahoo chose to have a story up this late... no idea.

Point still stands.

maher_tyler
06-28-2011, 04:15 PM
I particularly love the title.

Ohio girl is homecoming queen and star kicker on same night

By Cameron Smith

Chippewa (Ohio) High School senior Jackie Kasburg had a one-of-a-kind homecoming last Friday. Wearing her customary pink gameday cleats, she kicked three extra points during the Chipps' 55-27 loss to Rittman (Ohio) High in the first game action of her high school career. Then, to top off the night, she was named homecoming queen.

Star kicker... she hit 3 PATs in a game they lost 55-27 and she's the 'star kicker'. I went looking to see if those 3 PATs were all she attempted but didn't find it in a quick search. If she was their kicker, they didn't say she kicked any FGs, then that means SOMEONE probably missed a PAT. Their wording also is "she hit three..." and not "she hit all three...".

I don't hate women but man I hate these stories. I hope she gets destroyed out there.

Read the rest of the crappyness here:
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Ohio-girl-is-homecoming-queen-and-star-kicker-on?urn=highschool-275126

When i was in Jr high, 7th grade...we had two girls on our team, they were Freshman. They were our two starting outside linebackers and were two of the best players on the team. Could hit just as hard as the dudes etc. It was like they weren't girls out there and that there were two dudes playing linebacker. Our team didn't suck either, the best football team i ever played on!!

kappys
06-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I dunno, its worked before.

http://www.thewebofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/images1.jpg

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-28-2011, 05:33 PM
I dunno, its worked before.

http://www.thewebofsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/images1.jpg

I'd let vintage Kathy Ireland do just about anything she wants.