PDA

View Full Version : Best cellphone service plan/company.

bronco0608
06-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Who do you have, how much you pay, and are you satisfied?

I guess it down to the big three of Verizon, Att, and Sprint. They seem to be priced the same.

barryr
06-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Verizon seems to have the best signal, though not sure about the other features when compared.

JimmyFocus
06-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Sprint.. but i got on when they had the SERO plans a few years ago.... 30 bucks for 500 minutes unliminted pictures, text and data. Staying with them as long as i can. No other carrier even comes close. Only had 1 dropped call in over 5 years, so cant complain either.

CHANGSTER
06-26-2011, 01:15 AM
Sprint.. but i got on when they had the SERO plans a few years ago.... 30 bucks for 500 minutes unliminted pictures, text and data. Staying with them as long as i can. No other carrier even comes close. Only had 1 dropped call in over 5 years, so cant complain either.

Holy crap that's a good deal. The same set up with Verizon is close to triple that now.

Requiem
06-26-2011, 02:32 AM
I've had Sprint for two years, have rarely, if ever had a dropped call. I get 500 anytime minutes I believe, the best data plan (unlimited everything) and I only pay ~ 65 a month. They also throw free upgrades and other **** at you quite a bit. I just got my Palm Pre (not the coolest, but great for me) a while back and I'm already eligible for discounts if I want to upgrade again to one of the newer phones.

They've always been understanding with any issues I had. The only thing that pissed me off is I never received my 10$ account credit for turning in my old phone. Oh well. That's a Domino's pizza. Big whoop.

Sprint -- The Baller Network.

Go Sprint or just go back to using pagers.

Million dollars on a corner. $.

That One Guy
06-26-2011, 06:13 AM
I have AT&T and the service was great for quite some time. These days, I sometimes have 3-4 dropped calls a day. Was that way in KY and didn't change when I moved to Florida. I'd drop and change if every plan now didn't require like 1000 mins or something. I use like 200 a month, at most.

elsid13
06-26-2011, 06:22 AM
It really depends were you are. In DC area it's Verizon, Sprint and ATT are horrible with coverage.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-26-2011, 07:10 AM
I've had Verizon for five or six years now, and I've been really happy with call quality, reliability, and the network.

I had t mobile and sprint at various times before I moved to the v, and I would never go back. Not for any reason.

Kind of pricey, but not having to worry about the signal is worth it to me.

Pony Boy
06-26-2011, 08:04 AM
If you have any business lines AT&T will package your cell phone lines in one total bill. I saved over half on my cell phones bill buy combining the two.

Kid A
06-26-2011, 08:39 AM
I was smartphone shopping recently and easily - not even close - the best deal was the pre-paid Virgin Mobile. I didn't even look at them at first because I figured I had to go big 4 to get a solid phone, coverage, data. Nope. After taxes I'm paying $25 a month for service that costs around $70 on the next best network deal.

Coverage - Virgin is owned by Sprint so you are on Sprint's phone service and 3G. If Sprint is good in your area you're good to go.

Phones - Obviously if you want the newest releases, you have to go with the big carrier. But they have one very solid smartphone right now (Optimus V) and are adding a 4" Motorola in the next month that compares with the Evo. They tend to be about a year behind on phone tech. Small price to pay when you realize:

Price - This is where it gets amazing: paid $150 upfront for my phone, no contract, and then you can pay each month for a plan. $25 gets you unlimited texting, unlimited 3G data, 300 min talk. $40 gets you unlimited texting, unlimited data, 1200 min talk.

Again, TWENTY-FIVE DOLLARS, and I have unlimited data. On the Sprint Network. Can leave at any time. Can adjust on a monthly basis if I need more calling.

Seriously, if Sprint is good in your area I encourage people to look into it. Here's an article hyping the deal well before they got some legitimately good Android phones:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/10/27/virgin-mobile-has-the-best-smartphone-deal-on-the-planet/

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/cell-phone-plans/beyond-talk-plans.jsp

If there is a "catch" it would be that there is no roaming (i'm in a city, never go below 3 bars) and that the minutes on your plan are all you get - there are no nights or weekend minutes for free.

Rock Chalk
06-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Sprint and Verizon are the only two you should be talking about.

Ive had them all and have good and bad with them all but at the end of the day these two had the most pros and least cons.

Pros:
Sprint - Best metro area signal, major freeway signal is usually spot on. By far best pricing plans, Customer service top notch. Best Phone: HTC Evo (which, IMO, is the best phone on the planet right now)

Verizon - Best overall coverage in the country, fastest 4G network. Big variety of high end, high quality smartphones. Best Phone: iPhone/HTC Incredible (depending on taste, iOS is great, but I prefer droids since I am integrated with Google stuff anyway).

Cons:
Sprint: Country signal needs work, roaming needs to pick up towers better. Small amount high-end high-quality phones.

Verizon: Crappy service plans. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

In the end, go with what works for you. If you are mostly in metro areas, Id go with Sprint. If you tend to be in far flung areas or go out to far flung areas a lot, Verizon might be a better option for you. None of them are perfect so really just do research and find out which one is going to suit you and your needs best and then tolerate the imperfections of your choice.

That One Guy
06-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Anyone know anything about that Wal-Mart service? I think it's based on T-Mobile but I presume it would be pretty cheap. I actually think I heard some really good deals, actually.

Boobs McGee
06-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Sprint and Verizon are the only two you should be talking about.

Ive had them all and have good and bad with them all but at the end of the day these two had the most pros and least cons.

Pros:
Sprint - Best metro area signal, major freeway signal is usually spot on. By far best pricing plans, Customer service top notch. Best Phone: HTC Evo (which, IMO, is the best phone on the planet right now)

Verizon - Best overall coverage in the country, fastest 4G network. Big variety of high end, high quality smartphones. Best Phone: iPhone/HTC Incredible (depending on taste, iOS is great, but I prefer droids since I am integrated with Google stuff anyway).

Cons:
Sprint: Country signal needs work, roaming needs to pick up towers better. Small amount high-end high-quality phones.

Verizon: Crappy service plans. Customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

In the end, go with what works for you. If you are mostly in metro areas, Id go with Sprint. If you tend to be in far flung areas or go out to far flung areas a lot, Verizon might be a better option for you. None of them are perfect so really just do research and find out which one is going to suit you and your needs best and then tolerate the imperfections of your choice.

Nailed it.

Boobs McGee
06-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Anyone know anything about that Wal-Mart service? I think it's based on T-Mobile but I presume it would be pretty cheap. I actually think I heard some really good deals, actually.

The company is called straighttalk, and it's actually Verizon based. THIS is ultimately the best deal out there, as you're using the biggest network for the cheapest price. $45 gets you unlimited EVERYTHING. Minutes, texts, data...all included. $30 can take care of everything you'd need as well, it's just not unlimited. http://www.straighttalk.com/ . It's prepaid, easy to use, and an incredible deal.

The only real cons, are a SEVERELY limited selection of phones (they might be getting better, but I haven't looked in a while), and the fact that if you're a day late buying the next month's plan, you lose your number, which could be a pain in the ass. The customer service is non-existant btw.

I used their service whilst taking a break from Sprint (there was a loophole to where I could back out of a contract with no fee, and come back to get the Evo on a new contract), and really had no problems. Plus, they'll port your number over to any major carrier you decide to go with at that time.

Overall: really cheap, really easy, best network.

If I ever leave sprint, I'll be going back with them.

INbronco
06-26-2011, 12:28 PM
We don't use much cell phone so T-mobile prepay serves our needs. After purchase of 1000 min for $100 all refills include another year of service with rollover of old minutes. Still got 500 min on my last year so $10 gets me 30 minutes and another year of service; can always buy another 1000 min for $100 if needed. Does not include text or pictures. Our yearly cost is about $70.

That One Guy
06-26-2011, 01:43 PM
The company is called straighttalk, and it's actually Verizon based. THIS is ultimately the best deal out there, as you're using the biggest network for the cheapest price. $45 gets you unlimited EVERYTHING. Minutes, texts, data...all included. $30 can take care of everything you'd need as well, it's just not unlimited. http://www.straighttalk.com/ . It's prepaid, easy to use, and an incredible deal.

The only real cons, are a SEVERELY limited selection of phones (they might be getting better, but I haven't looked in a while), and the fact that if you're a day late buying the next month's plan, you lose your number, which could be a pain in the ass. The customer service is non-existant btw.

I used their service whilst taking a break from Sprint (there was a loophole to where I could back out of a contract with no fee, and come back to get the Evo on a new contract), and really had no problems. Plus, they'll port your number over to any major carrier you decide to go with at that time.

Overall: really cheap, really easy, best network.

If I ever leave sprint, I'll be going back with them.

Wow, even better. Any idea if you can use a random unlocked phone or just stuck to their phones? Just gave it a glance and that seems to be the only thing stopping me... and I have a generally crappy phone, as is.

Kid A
06-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Wow, even better. Any idea if you can use a random unlocked phone or just stuck to their phones? Just gave it a glance and that seems to be the only thing stopping me... and I have a generally crappy phone, as is.

Pre-paids tend to make you stick to with the phones they offer and not bring over unlocked. If you want a better prepaid phone seriously look at Virgin or Boost. Both are on the Sprint network, both have some decent to good Android phones. Way better than what Cricket or Straight Talk have right now.

If you talk a lot Boost has an unlimited everything for $50 (and that price goes down 5 bucks for every 6 months you are with them) and Virgin has unlimited text, data, and 1200 minutes for $40. Or $25 if you rarely use the minutes and just need 300.

Kaylore
06-26-2011, 02:27 PM
I have Verizon. It's expensive, but I get what I pay for.

Broncoman13
06-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I have Verizon. Got the 4G Thunderbolt by HTC a couple of months ago. Awesome phone, better than an iPhone in many ways. My wife and oldest daughter are also on my plan though they do not have data on their phones. My unlimited data plan is $30 which seems high. Then you have unlimited texting on my wife and daughters phone. 1400 minutes, which we rarely use bc every call seems to be to a caller on Verizon or one of my top 10 which is free as well. All in all, a little over $160 a month! Seems high to me, I should call and drop down to 700 minutes... But then you don't get your top 10 anymore.... So I would probably go over 700.

enjolras
06-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I have a HTC Incredible on Verizon and I like the phone and network alot. The cost is really high, however. Now that Verizon has ended one year contracts, I'll be looking elsewhere.

My wife does the virgin prepaid thing with their Android phone. She's very pleased with it.

scttgrd
06-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Pre-paids tend to make you stick to with the phones they offer and not bring over unlocked. If you want a better prepaid phone seriously look at Virgin or Boost. Both are on the Sprint network, both have some decent to good Android phones. Way better than what Cricket or Straight Talk have right now.

If you talk a lot Boost has an unlimited everything for $50 (and that price goes down 5 bucks for every 6 months you are with them) and Virgin has unlimited text, data, and 1200 minutes for $40. Or $25 if you rarely use the minutes and just need 300.

I have Virgin, they have some descent phones, $25 for 300 minutes and unlimited text, data and email. Never had a dropped call, about as good a deal as you can get. And they use the Sprint network.

Doggcow
06-26-2011, 03:13 PM
My dad works for AT&T, So I like my Blackberry and unlimited everything for $15 a month.

That One Guy
06-26-2011, 03:20 PM
My dad works for AT&T, So I like my Blackberry and unlimited everything for $15 a month.

Well if you're willing to share your deal, I agree that this thread is moot.

ICON
06-26-2011, 03:39 PM
MetroPCS 45 a mouth

Samsung Galaxy Indulge 4G LTE enabled for fast downloads Android 2.3 Operating System 1 GHz application processor 3.5” HVGA touchscreen with Swype™ support . Got my phone for 200.00

Calling Features
Unlimited Local Calling

Unlimited Long Distance

MetroPCS Nationwide Coverage

Enjoy the benefits of extended home coverage with unlimited voice and text in over 11,000 cities and towns. Learn more here about MetroPCS Nationwide Coverage.
TravelTalk®

Make calls outside the MetroPCS service area. You can also send text messages for FREE when outside the MetroPCS service areas. Stay in touch whenever you're away from home. Learn more here about

MetroPCS TravelTalk.
International Long Distance

Forward calls that are made to your MetroPCS phone to another local number. Call forwarding is easy to set up and use, so you never miss another call.

Call Forwarding must be initiated within your home market.
Call forwarding can only be done to a local market number.
*72+10-digit number to forward all calls.
*74+10-digit number to conditionally forward calls (after ringing phone first, calls will then forward to specified number).
*73 to disable call forwarding.

Voice Mail Package

Receive up to 20 60-second voice mail messages plus Caller ID, Call Waiting and 3-way calling! Find out here which plans include the MetroPCS Voice Mail Package.

Voice Mail to Text

Would you like to read your voice mail instead of listening to it? Voice Mail to Text converts your voice mail messages into readable text delivered to your phone or email. Learn more here about MetroPCS Voice Mail to Text.

Already subscribed to "Voice Mail to Text"? Click here to sign in and manage your preferences.
Visual Voice Mail

List your messages so you can listen to them in the order you want with Visual Voice Mail from MetroPCS!

Upgrade your Rate Plan today to get Visual Voice Mail Plus – to list your voice mails AND convert them to text using Voice Mail to Text. You’ll never need silence to check your voice mails and you’ll love checking them in any order you prefer.
Screen-it®

Like Caller ID on steroids, Screen-it displays the caller’s name, even for numbers you don’t recognize and those not stored in your phone's personal contact list. Learn More about MetroPCS Screen-it.
GroupLINE®

We regret to inform you that MetroPCS no longer provides GroupLINE® services.
MetroConnect® Account

Each MetroPCS customer automatically receives a MetroConnect account upon activation of service. This special account allows you to use a variety of additional MetroPCS services whenever you want! YOU choose when to add money to your MetroConnect account, as well as how and when to use the money in your account.

Here are a few services available with MetroConnect:

TravelTalk®: Stay connected when you travel.
Metro411 Directory Assistance: MetroPCS offers three options for directory assistance so that you can get information you want when you need it.

To add money to your MetroConnect account simply dial *99 from your MetroPCS phone. For your convenience, you can also stop by one of our MetroPCS stores or Authorized Payment Centers to add additional money to your account.

Kid A
06-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I have Virgin, they have some descent phones, $25 for 300 minutes and unlimited text, data and email. Never had a dropped call, about as good a deal as you can get. And they use the Sprint network.

This is what I've been preaching since I joined. Unless you're some power user or uber-nerd who absolutely needs the latest and greatest (which will be outdated in, oh, 3 months anyway), I just can't find a way to justify paying almost $50 more a month. Calling, texting, email, maps, YouTube, Google, browsing - all just as good as any other phone, except I guess 4G. But, again, I can't begin to find a reason to pay over triple a month (plus a two year contract) to have my ESPN scores/Facebook updates go a few seconds faster?

Hell, my Optimus is supposed to be entry-level Android, but testing an unauthorized version of Netflix I can stream video smoothly (though I can't understand how anyone could enjoy watching very much video on their phone for any extended period of time).

jutang
06-26-2011, 05:06 PM
With Verizon going to tiered data plans based on usage, i'll have to keep an eye on what virgin and boost offer.

UberBroncoMan
06-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Alltel was the hotness back in the day. Now they're a part of Verizon, so them. Granted it's not as good as it used to be before the merger.

Seems it's between Verizon and Sprint for people.

AT&T can suck my nuts.

That One Guy
06-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Alltel was the hotness back in the day. Now they're a part of Verizon, so them. Granted it's not as good as it used to be before the merger.

AT&T can suck my nuts.

Alltel used to give me unlimited data + unlimited tethering for $20 a month. Leaving them was the biggest mistake I ever made.

CHANGSTER
06-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Found this interesting. Verizon is getting rid of unlimited data and going to a tiered set up on July 7th. Wont affect current plans, it seems.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/06/22/verizons-new-tiered-data-plans-get-fully-detailed/

tubbs
06-26-2011, 10:56 PM

AT&T can suck my nuts.

Att bought Alltel. Just saying........ :wave:

enjolras
06-26-2011, 11:19 PM
Att bought Alltel. Just saying........ :wave:

Verizon bought the bulk of it. ATT picked up some of the rural areas. Verizon had to sell assets in some areas as part of the regulatory agreement.

So they both bought Alltel, but Verizon got the much bigger piece.

ColoradoDarin
06-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Just bought new phones (and the new 2 year contract!) with AT&T. I would have loved to go with someone else, but in our area of Podunk only AT&T and Verizon have good service. Plus with my wife's employer, we get a 25% discount. My wife's work blackberry is with Sprint and she has to call anyone back on our phones since their coverage here is awful.

Kaylore
06-27-2011, 07:35 AM
With Verizon going to tiered data plans based on usage, i'll have to keep an eye on what virgin and boost offer.

Previous Verizon customers on the $30 unlimited will be grandfathered in. However I have a bad feeling that might change.

jutang
06-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Previous Verizon customers on the $30 unlimited will be grandfathered in. However I have a bad feeling that might change.

My contract ends sometime this fall. I'd like to stay in the same plan, but I got a feeling Verizon won't let this happen. I also occasionally tether my laptop to my phone when I am at the airport or on road trips. I dont do it often enough to pay the extra $10/mo.

Odysseus
06-27-2011, 11:08 AM
I wish there were better plans for unlocked phones so you can switch services and keep the phone. I prefer unlocked phones but they are hard to use as pay phones anymore. Contracts are illegal outside the U.S. Bundles used to be a value but right now it seems to be more a porcess of figuring out who I rips me off.

alkemical
06-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I wish there were better plans for unlocked phones so you can switch services and keep the phone. I prefer unlocked phones but they are hard to use as pay phones anymore. Contracts are illegal outside the U.S. Bundles used to be a value but right now it seems to be more a porcess of figuring out who I rips me off.

I don't like the contracts and "upgrades" either - you still pay for the remaining cost. You are just subsidizing your own phone....

Rock Chalk
06-27-2011, 11:22 AM
SO here is an update on Sprint re: customer service.

Thursday I ordered my wife the HTC EVO cuz her phone isn't working anymore. Today I saw that the EVO 3D is available so I went to Sprint to check it out and noticed the EVO I bought my wife was 50 dollars cheaper.

After talking to the lady on the phone she sent me to the manager and he immediately said "Yeah, thats screwed up. You dont even have the new phone and its 50 dollars cheaper than what you ordered it. We are crediting your account 50 dollars immediately for this and giving you a year free phone insurance on the phone (which btw, is 7 dollars a month)".

Now, this was the right thing to do for them anyway. But this was done very easily and the customer service people were extremely nice and helpful. There was no arguing or bickering I had to do to get them to do the right thing, they immediately saw the problem and fixed it.

Just something to consider.

enjolras
06-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Contracts are illegal outside the U.S. Bundles used to be a value but right now it seems to be more a porcess of figuring out who I rips me off.

This is a rumor that I wish would die, because it's simply not true.

In Europe, for instance, 36 month contracts have been outlawed and carriers are required by law to offer 1 year contracts. Although the highest subsidies (and highest take rates) are on the two year contracts just as in the U.S.

The models between the countries have converged really. You can buy subsidized phones in Europe on contract or you can buy unlocked phones at much higher premiums.

I would like to see a requirement for 1 year contracts here, however.

Los Broncos
06-27-2011, 11:30 AM
T-Mobile $65 unlimted everything, I think.

I get pretty good service for the most part.

Beantown Bronco
06-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm seeing a lot of $25/mth, $50/mth, $65/mth here....but I'd really like to see the real amount being paid per month. One of the reasons I went away from these set monthly plans and went with a "pay as you go" plan was to avoid all the extra monthly taxes, fees and insurance costs that made my prior $25/mth plan really cost me about $35/mth. Now, I simply pay .25 a minute. No extra anything. It's great. $100 gets me through a year, whereas it wouldn't get me through more than 3 months under most carrier's cheapest plans.

Odysseus
06-27-2011, 12:07 PM
This is a rumor that I wish would die, because it's simply not true.

In Europe, for instance, 36 month contracts have been outlawed and carriers are required by law to offer 1 year contracts. Although the highest subsidies (and highest take rates) are on the two year contracts just as in the U.S.

The models between the countries have converged really. You can buy subsidized phones in Europe on contract or you can buy unlocked phones at much higher premiums.

I would like to see a requirement for 1 year contracts here, however.

Manufactured Unlocked iFone exist because they are not legal at one point. The rules of locking and unlocking are a little complicated and are favoring carriers. If it were easy to be current on this threads like this would not exist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIM_lock

I would rather go by coverage than price. I don't like staying on the phone too long but I like it to work when I need it.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 12:12 PM

Thursday I ordered my wife the HTC EVO cuz her phone isn't working anymore. Today I saw that the EVO 3D is available so I went to Sprint to check it out and noticed the EVO I bought my wife was 50 dollars cheaper.

After talking to the lady on the phone she sent me to the manager and he immediately said "Yeah, thats screwed up. You dont even have the new phone and its 50 dollars cheaper than what you ordered it. We are crediting your account 50 dollars immediately for this and giving you a year free phone insurance on the phone (which btw, is 7 dollars a month)".

Now, this was the right thing to do for them anyway. But this was done very easily and the customer service people were extremely nice and helpful. There was no arguing or bickering I had to do to get them to do the right thing, they immediately saw the problem and fixed it.

Sprint has always been helpful except one instance where I bought one of their internet cards back in the day. I got what I was told was unlimited service but it turned out only business plans could go unlimited. Like 3 or 4 days later, my phone shut down because I had a $1700 bill. I fought it for a week, finally figuring out what had happened, and cancelled the card because I only got it thinking it was unlimited. I sold the card to my buddy after my service was cancelled and ended up with like another $1400 bill. They claimed they had cancelled my service so they wouldn't credit any of the $1400 back. No matter how many times I screamed "I said to freakin' cancel service on that card!", they wouldn't budge. It was on my mom's account at the time so I ended up paying it but it was such a mess and even getting the credits for the first $1700 back was a huge pain. I used a military loophole, got out, and never went back. I liked Sprint but that was such a headache.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 12:26 PM
I just looked, I have a 450 minute plan and 4500 rollover minutes (they only last 12 months). I lose more rollover minutes every month to expiration than I use in a month. I might have to go the prepaid route.

Boobs McGee
06-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm seeing a lot of $25/mth, $50/mth, $65/mth here....but I'd really like to see the real amount being paid per month. One of the reasons I went away from these set monthly plans and went with a "pay as you go" plan was to avoid all the extra monthly taxes, fees and insurance costs that made my prior $25/mth plan really cost me about $35/mth. Now, I simply pay .25 a minute. No extra anything. It's great. $100 gets me through a year, whereas it wouldn't get me through more than 3 months under most carrier's cheapest plans.

I can tell you...for ME, my bill is $81.42 a month.

I have Sprint, and the EVO. My plan is 69.99 a month. That includes 450 anytime minutes, unlimited data, unlimited roaming, unlimited domestic long distance, unlimited texts, and unlimited calls to ANY mobile number. For the EVO, an extra $10 charge is required monthly (4g data usage)...bumping it up to the 81.42. I don't have insurance because there's a Sprint service center near me, and they'll fix ANYTHING on the phone (water damage, screen broken, explosions etc) for a flat 30$ fee they day...usually in less than 4 hours.

For me, since this phone is basically a mini laptop, I'm willing to pay that monthly fee. For 10$ more a month, I could get the simply everything plan, but I don't call landlines enough.

Sprint has the most affordable plans BY FAR.

Eventually though, if I decide that having a portable computer/phone isn't a high priority, I'm going back to straight talk.

Boobs McGee
06-27-2011, 12:45 PM
I just looked, I have a 450 minute plan and 4500 rollover minutes (they only last 12 months). I lose more rollover minutes every month to expiration than I use in a month. I might have to go the prepaid route.

I'm tellin ya man, go check out the Walmart route. I think it'll be perfect for you.

Quick edit: check to see who has the most coverage in your area...if its Verizon, then ya, straight talk @ wally world. If its Sprint, check out virgin go phones.

That One Guy
06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm tellin ya man, go check out the Walmart route. I think it'll be perfect for you.

Quick edit: check to see who has the most coverage in your area...if its Verizon, then ya, straight talk @ wally world. If its Sprint, check out virgin go phones.

I'm very tempted. My contract expires in July, I believe, so I'm close. My only catch right now is having to carry around something Zach Morris would've been ashamed to pull out (not really that bad but very plain).

DenverBrit
06-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Best Buy have the Evo for $0. Just need a new Sprint contract.....the unlimited data/text plan w/450 minutes of talk time is $69 plus $10 for 4g.

Nice deal, great phone.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/9895/9895819_sa.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=9895819%2C+9955611_&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=&qp=crootcategoryid%23%23-1%23%23-1~~q393839353831392c20393935353631315f~~cabcat0800 000%23%231%23%232~~cpcmcat190800050010%23%231%23%2 32~~cabcat0801000%23%231%23%232~~ncpcmcat209400050 001%23%230%23%232&list=y&usc=All+Categories&nrp=15&iht=n

Boobs McGee
06-27-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm very tempted. My contract expires in July, I believe, so I'm close. My only catch right now is having to carry around something Zach Morris would've been ashamed to pull out (not really that bad but very plain).

Indeed, not the "flashiest" phones in the world. I had the LG 290C...durable, easy to use, pretty basic. If I was picking one up now, I'd probly go with the Samsung T401G http://veritableplethora.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Samsung_T401G.jpg

I've never been a blackberry user, but it looks like the Samsung R355C is kind of similar.

Those two phones are the "spiffiest" looking phones I've seen from them.

Kaylore
06-27-2011, 01:26 PM

I had a similar story. The touch screen on my droid lost sensitivity about two months ago. I did sign up for the extended warranty which was an extra $2 bucks a month. I brought the phone in and told them and they didn't even check it. I had my new phone fed-exed to me two days later and sent the old one back. They even migrated my purchased apps and everything via my account online, which was nice. Now if I didn't have warranty I would have been screwed, especially since I am six months away from our next "big" discount.

Mountain Bronco
06-27-2011, 02:55 PM
I live in a remote area so it down to Verizon and AT&T. Sprint service outside of metro areas = hilarious. Can't even get a call to go through for it to be dropped and speeds are a joke. Went with Verizon because AT&T had actually kicked some of my friends out for making to many calls out of the area, when he was making calls from his house (addess where plan is billed)???? F that. Never had an issue with losing calls so I am happy, but also pay an arm and a leg for the service.

All the others, TMobile Virgin, Cricket etc... don't work in remote areas are are super slow when the do work and drop a ton of calls.

Rock Chalk
06-27-2011, 06:17 PM
I live in a remote area so it down to Verizon and AT&T. Sprint service outside of metro areas = hilarious. Can't even get a call to go through for it to be dropped and speeds are a joke. Went with Verizon because AT&T had actually kicked some of my friends out for making to many calls out of the area, when he was making calls from his house (addess where plan is billed)???? F that. Never had an issue with losing calls so I am happy, but also pay an arm and a leg for the service.

All the others, TMobile Virgin, Cricket etc... don't work in remote areas are are super slow when the do work and drop a ton of calls.

When I had T-Mobile the one thing I liked about them was the ability of the phones to pick up any tower on roaming and of course, I didnt get charged for it. Their own network wasn't all that widespread but they picked up ANY tower so you could make calls from virtually everywhere.

Granted, this was prior to smart phones, when you know, all you did was make phone calls, maybe sent a text or two. SO data was not an issue.

But this is the precise reason why many choose Verizon when they live out in BFE. Verizon is really your only option because they cover basically the whole country with few exceptions.