PDA

View Full Version : My Town is Under Water.

robbieopperude
06-24-2011, 04:04 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/souris-river-hits-record-high-flood-level-minot/story?id=13924604

HooptyHoops
06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Yuck man! I live in Iowa and there is a lot of flooding coming down from up north. Also, my bro works for the Army Core of Engineers in Missouri and they are already way above flood stage too! Crazy times around America right now!

robbieopperude
06-24-2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2043355957454&set=o.113338562042681&type=1

It is just crazy right now. I have friends houses that are completely under water right now with another 8 feet of water projected to come in from the river in the next two days. Oh and here comes a thunderstorm. Wow!

Bronco Yoda
06-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Please send some down to the southwest. You guys are drowning and we are in record breaking drought. You'd think we could create some jobs by moving this water around somehow.

barryr
06-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Stay safe and hope for the best is about all you can do. Flood insurance?

robbieopperude
06-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Stay safe and hope for the best is about all you can do. Flood insurance?

After the flood of 1969 Minot, ND did so much work to the river that it was said we could never flood again. They don't even offer the insurance to people anymore. Water is 3 blocks away from me right now so I am crossing my fingers it only rises another 6 feet and not 12.

Bronco Yoda
06-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Quick extend a giant straw. We are drying up and burning up....

schaaf
06-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I feel sorry for Minot, I worked up there for a while last summer with Williston Basin on the air force base and couple blocks from quiznos. I considered the Souris a large creek and now seeing video on the Williston news that whole valley looks like a lake. Good luck my friend

HooptyHoops
06-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Please send some down to the southwest. You guys are drowning and we are in record breaking drought. You'd think we could create some jobs by moving this water around somehow.

I saw the drought down there....that is what I mean about crazy times....we are flooding, and the south is burning up!
I totally agree with you, surely we could create a job market by taking this water down south!!

That One Guy
06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
I bought a new dive mask and snorkel last week, anyone need my old one?

broncosteven
06-24-2011, 06:41 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/US/souris-river-hits-record-high-flood-level-minot/story?id=13924604

Your town is under water but is your place safe?

Hope all is well, you and your family are safe and you have good insurance.

Best wishes.

Requiem
06-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Feel terrible for Minot. A lot of friends from college from there. Families losing everything. Pray for them. They NEED IT.

ant1999e
06-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Saw a show on t.v. the other day. They were talking about the feasibility of doing something like this for Las Vegas. We are running out of water and the midwest is drowning.

That One Guy
06-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Saw a show on t.v. the other day. They were talking about the feasibility of doing something like this for Las Vegas. We are running out of water and the midwest is drowning.

Maybe have some of your people move to the midwest? Living in a desert is as dumb an idea as it's always been.

NOLA Bronco
06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
I have compassion for all those going through this, since u can tell where I live.

missingnumber7
06-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Helped my parents get the last of their stuff out on monday. Amazing how much water is not only moving through that valley, but how much water is just standing in that area and in the central part of ND also. Late melt, combined with a wet cycle of storms really haven't helped this area. And we still haven't heard much from Devils Lake, which just keeps getting higher and higher.

Requiem
06-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Helped my parents get the last of their stuff out on monday. Amazing how much water is not only moving through that valley, but how much water is just standing in that area and in the central part of ND also. Late melt, combined with a wet cycle of storms really haven't helped this area. And we still haven't heard much from Devils Lake, which just keeps getting higher and higher.

Family in Bismark?

Prayers to you and yours. All of you are in my thoughts.

missingnumber7
06-24-2011, 08:12 PM
I live in Bismarck, my folks live in Minot, close to Magic City Implement. I was in Devils Lake for my Annual Training for the National Guard. It has been a very trying year to be in the guard. We have soldiers who have been on State active duty in 5 different areas, Fargo, Grand Forks, Lisbon, Bismarck/mandan, and now Minot. Some soldiers going on 50 to 60 days away from home, away from employers. Its just heart breaking.

Bronco Boy
06-24-2011, 08:21 PM

Sorry to hear that. Now on to what we really want to know: Did you end up naming your son Elway or Beckham?

Crushaholic
06-24-2011, 08:24 PM
The article didn't make any mention of casualties. I hope everyone is safe, up there....

maher_tyler
06-24-2011, 08:24 PM
From ND originally. Pretty much every where up there is flooding..it's sad to see all those famlies lose their homes.

You would think that since they can build these pipe lines for oil that they could build water pipes in areas that flood every year. Have those pipe lines come down here to the southwest where it's dry as all hell!!

Hogan11
06-24-2011, 08:57 PM
My heart really goes out to everyone there

400HZ
06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
It's insane. My friend's parents live next to Ramsted, maybe three blocks from the river bank. All you could see on the news flyovers today was the peak of their roof, and the river hasn't even crested yet.

Bronco Yoda
06-24-2011, 10:05 PM
Something needs to be done about this. From what i've read, this pattern is going to continue. Thousands of levies around the country are vulnerable. Some areas are going to continue to get wetter. The droughts are going to continue. Vegas is seriously going completely dry.

Seems to me there's some big scale national projects that need to be done and lots of people out of work. Now we just need the right leadership to get things done.

ant1999e
06-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe have some of your people move to the midwest? Living in a desert is as dumb an idea as it's always been.

About as dumb as living next to a river that floods every year? Or to a state on a huge fault line? Or maybe a city that is on the coast but below sea level? Or in tornado alley? Or a hurricane threat area?

We just moved from Omaha to Vegas for the Air Force. That place is flooded as well.

worm
06-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Something needs to be done about this. From what i've read, this pattern is going to continue. Thousands of levies around the country are vulnerable. Some areas are going to continue to get wetter. The droughts are going to continue. Vegas is seriously going completely dry.

Seems to me there's some big scale national projects that need to be done and lots of people out of work. Now we just need the right leadership to get things done.

Vegas should turn off the fountains and high-flow shower heads before they start begging for water from elsewhere.

ACE only has control of some of the levies across the US. We need a much more cohesive levy strategy in place with clear goals on mitigation and protection. Not to divert water to Vegas...but to protect homes on these waterways. This latest saga is just a repeat of what occurred on the Mississippi a few months ago...and prior to that last year and the year before that...etc.

When will we learn that prevention is much cheaper than remediation?

ant1999e
06-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Vegas should turn off the fountains and high-flow shower heads before they start begging for water from elsewhere.

ACE only has control of some of the levies across the US. We need a much more cohesive levy strategy in place with clear goals on mitigation and protection. Not to divert water to Vegas...but to protect homes on these waterways. This latest saga is just a repeat of what occurred on the Mississippi a few months ago...and prior to that last year and the year before that...etc.

When will we learn that prevention is much cheaper than remediation?

Who's begging? What a Dick.

worm
06-25-2011, 12:26 AM

You will be begging if Lake Mead drys up in 2021 as some predict.

My point with Vegas is that shipping water from somewhere to the desert is only the supply side of the equation. Conservation is the other side.

Archer81
06-25-2011, 12:32 AM

Shovel ready jobs?

I think its hard for people east of the MS to grasp that 60% of the country is arid or semi-arid. Colorado depends on snowfall for water. If we have a crappy winter moisture wise, it will be a rough summer. A buddy of mine came out for a visit and wanted to know why alot of houses had xeroscaping...

Water to drink or grow food or water for a bull**** green lawn. Not a tough choice.

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
06-25-2011, 01:04 AM
That sucks for all the Americans who got screwed by the floods and tornadoes. You just know tons will get screwed by insurance and the govt and not get paid.

Requiem
06-25-2011, 03:22 AM

The whole Southwestern United States are going to be begging for resources from the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes regiion the next 20-30 years, but unfortunately, they should have managed their resources better and knew that in such a climate (and where they are at) -- it would never be sustainable, especially with all the people there. They already import most of their water. It's only going to get worse.

robbieopperude
06-25-2011, 06:02 AM
Sorry to hear that. Now on to what we really want to know: Did you end up naming your son Elway or Beckham?

Named him Beckham but he is typically called Bex for short.

As far as the water goes it is about 2 blocks from my house right now which is about 10 feet of elevation. So it is going to be really close for me. My immediate family has been pretty devastated by the situation. My dad has had a basement get filled up with sewer back up and another one of his investment properties go under water while my grandparents had four investment properties that likely all have water right at the roof right now. My father in law has to walk through 4 feet of water or take a boat to feed the cattle on his ranch.

robbieopperude
06-25-2011, 06:08 AM
Rumor is the reason why Minot flooded so badly is because the dam system in Canada isn't controlled by the U.S. and they keep the waters higher than they should so that they can have water sports, fishing, etc... up there. Now when they actually have to keep water in the dam so Minot does flood they didn't have the capability and had to release it causing an additional 4 feet or more of unnecessary water to hit Minot. I haven't done any research on this but if that story is true I am not happy at all with the Canucks.

Los Broncos
06-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Damn, that is crazy...highwater blues.

gunns
06-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Now a levy has broken and they are doing more evacuations? Wow, my heart goes out to you guys. The storms that did this to the midwest moved through here first. A very wet winter and then almost constant heavy rain from April 1st to last Sunday. Now it's very warm and that snow melt in the mountains have the creeks very high and it is flooding in some areas and others are expected. A lot of farm land under water, but overall nothing like you guys. Where does Sassy live?

Bronco Yoda
06-25-2011, 08:49 AM
The whole Southwestern United States are going to be begging for resources from the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes regiion the next 20-30 years, but unfortunately, they should have managed their resources better and knew that in such a climate (and where they are at) -- it would never be sustainable, especially with all the people there. They already import most of their water. It's only going to get worse.

Why do talk about things you do not understand? You keep repeating this same crap over and over again.

That One Guy
06-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Wasn't there a fuss a while ago where people were fighting because someone was taking too much water out of a river (I believe it was the Colorado) and if it kept getting dammed and water taken out, the southwest wouldn't have enough?

And just because it works (barely) now doesn't mean that people should keep moving in. You make it through a hurricane, you're fine. You make it through a tornado, you're fine. You make it through a drought... well... you still have tomorrow, the next day, and the next. They're hardly comparable.

barryr
06-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Why do talk about things you do not understand? You keep repeating this same crap over and over again.

He comes out of the closet while living in mommy's basement and wants everyone to know I guess. Putting him on ignore was my best decision since he craves attention like some child who didn't get enough of it when growing up and likes to do countless, silly negative reps to people, threatening violence and posting his resume when all else fails. Hopefully he seeks help.

ant1999e
06-25-2011, 11:45 AM

By import do you mean the Colorado river???

robbieopperude
06-25-2011, 01:16 PM
http://www.mouseriverflood2011.net/index.php

New site to check out. Click on the balloons for photos.

NOLA Bronco
06-25-2011, 08:06 PM
The whole topic of water rights in Colorado is simply facinating. The fact that the water from the Colorado snow belongs to other states is simply crazy. Most people outside of the area have no clue about this.

Yes, good people will get screwed by insurance companies. The business model of an insurance company doesn't lend well to really protecting people. They are essentially betting nothing will happen, but if it does, try to pay the bare minimum. People at the companies may care, but the business does not, if it wants to stay in business. That's why, like cell phone companies, people switch all the time.

Flooding sucks. It sucks if it is caused by human error, natural disaster, or circumstance. One thing is for sure, we need water, so floods will continue to happen.

The Dutch have done wonders to protect their cities. Now, they produce terrible ovens, but their flood protection is amazing.

Sorry, I can never resist that joke, even when I'm up on a soapbox.

Requiem
06-25-2011, 08:08 PM

I understand completely.

Feel free to debate any of my points regarding:

(1) Southwest imports a majority of their water supply

(2) Southwest poorly manages their resources and their water usage per person, (consumption) is much higher than most places in the U.S.

(3) Anything else related I've discussed

You go on saying I don't "understand" things, yet you've never tried to debate my points or give an alternative perspective. I doubt you really can, because the two main points above can be backed up with tons of data. Google is your friend. I've already provided one link, I could do a dozen more easily.

Requiem
06-25-2011, 08:14 PM
By import do you mean the Colorado river???

There are tons of places.
(http://geochange.er.usgs.gov/sw/changes/natural/diaz/)

That's just one study that discusses what I'm talking about.

Most people know that the Southwestern USA imports a majority of their water. San Diego imports about 90%. Yet, Yoda seems to believe I'm ignorant to what is going on. I'm not. I could give a further breakdown on this, but it's not necessary.

In short, those states manage their resources poorly, are overpopulated and thus have to import water from elsewhere and are seeking for alternatives. It has already been brought up many times on a large scale. That area of the country is not sustainable, and is going to be in a world of hurt within the next several decades.

Requiem
06-25-2011, 08:15 PM
He comes out of the closet while living in mommy's basement and wants everyone to know I guess. Putting him on ignore was my best decision since he craves attention like some child who didn't get enough of it when growing up and likes to do countless, silly negative reps to people, threatening violence and posting his resume when all else fails. Hopefully he seeks help.

Fail!

Requiem
06-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Where does Sassy live?

F/M, in my neck of the woods. We are fine, though the Red is rising quite a bit, but as far as I know we aren't doing anything more for flood preparation. That happened months ago.

gunns
06-26-2011, 05:10 AM
F/M, in my neck of the woods. We are fine, though the Red is rising quite a bit, but as far as I know we aren't doing anything more for flood preparation. That happened months ago.

Didn't realize you guys were neighbors. Next time I'll be sure to ask about you also when I hear something about N. Dakota. Glad you guys are good.

Requiem
06-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Aw, that's sweet of you Gunns -- but I only got 5 more weeks left in North Dakota before I head to Colorado. :)

Tebow has called in his disciples. I follow in the footsteps of the Lord.

strafen
06-26-2011, 06:20 AM
Why do talk about things you do not understand? You keep repeating this same crap over and over again.I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought the guy was a fraud all along.
The funny thing is, he threaten me with pissing on my face when comes to Colorado. Ha!
I'm now the proud owner of his avatar. ROFL! LOL Ha! :welcome: :strong:

Requiem
06-26-2011, 06:25 AM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought the guy was a fraud all along.
The funny thing is, he threaten me with pissing on my face when comes to Colorado. Ha!

You lack the capacity to debate my points.

Might as well shut up.

The only thing you are a proud owner of is a brain with about 12 functioning cells.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XSbZidsgMfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

End of the video. Check it out.

barryr
06-26-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who thought the guy was a fraud all along.

:thumbs:

robbieopperude
06-26-2011, 11:52 AM
thread hijacked. back to on point. who wants riverfront property. Flood stopped 1 block from my house.

Fedaykin
06-26-2011, 12:33 PM

Colorado is one of the largest "exporters" of water. It all goes to CA where your description is spot on. Montana and Idaho are pretty large exporters too.

We store our wares on mountain slopes and deliver them via river (and treaty). Sadly, we don't get paid for it. God damn Californian leeches.

robbieopperude
06-29-2011, 06:56 AM
I live in the Williston Basin which is where the Bakken and 3 Forks shales are at. Hess just stepped up big time and donated 1 Million Dollars to the flood victims here.
Amazing.
http://hoeven.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/news-releases?ContentRecord_id=66268dc4-adf4-42f5-8902-7443fd549dbd

alkemical
06-29-2011, 07:01 AM

I think it's also time, we change how things are done....

robbieopperude
06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Yes, It sounds like here in Minot they are going to wipe out a strip of houses going down one street to widen the levy and leave it up permanently. Natural disasters are very difficult to predict and prevent however. But as times change we definitely need to adapt and invest in city infrastructure.