PDA

View Full Version : The Drive 2.0

Bronco Rob
06-23-2011, 06:10 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0ngHEIBt4ig" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:pimp:

brncs_fan
06-23-2011, 06:13 AM
I am confused. The banner next to Elway says Jesus, but I thought that was Tebow? Are they one in the same person? This seems to be a theological mystery.

Rock Chalk
06-23-2011, 06:45 AM
I am confused. The banner next to Elway says Jesus, but I thought that was Tebow? Are they one in the same person? This seems to be a theological mystery.

No its not a mystery. Tebow is a pussy in comparison to Elway and you ****ing idiots need to stop even putting the two in teh same sentence.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Thanks for posting this....I'll always remember that game.

One thing I will always have etched in my memory is Warren Moon throwing his Gatorade cup down in disgust when Elway hit Vance Johnson for 44 yards on 4th and 10.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Props to Gary Kubiak....he did a heck of a job handling that low snap on the winning FG.

Dagmar
06-23-2011, 07:59 AM
No its not a mystery. Tebow is a p***Y in comparison to Elway and you ****ing idiots need to stop even putting the two in teh same sentence.

You are being too subtle for me, I don't get what you mean?

brncs_fan
06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
No its not a mystery. Tebow is a p***Y in comparison to Elway and you ****ing idiots need to stop even putting the two in teh same sentence.

I see what you are saying there, but I have a sense of humor and a severe lack of respect for authority.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Charlie Jones and Todd Christensen were the announcers for the game.

You could always tell that Charlie Jones was an Elway fan and we all know Todd Christensen loathed the Broncos.

Charlie Jones at one point in the drive creamed his pants and said : "It doesn't get any better....I love it!"....while Todd Christensen acted like he caught a whiff of some fresh turds every time Elway made a big play.

Awesome.

FantomForce
06-23-2011, 12:26 PM
That's what made Elway great! 4th&6, and 4th&10 and you still felt like he was going to make a play and then he went out there and did it.

jutang
06-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I lived in Houston at that time right after moving from Denver. I was watching the game with some my friends at that time and kept hearing how great the run n shoot offense was and how Dishman would shut Elway down. Moment the broncos got backed up to the 2, they all thought the Oilers won it. I told them in a few minutes they'll feel exactly like the people of Cleveland. For the rest of the school yr, whenever my friend saw me he would mutter "f$ckin 4th and 10."

Bronco Rob
06-23-2011, 05:25 PM
Charlie Jones and Todd Christensen were the announcers for the game.

You could always tell that Charlie Jones was an Elway fan and we all know Todd Christensen loathed the Broncos.

Charlie Jones at one point in the drive creamed his pants and said : "It doesn't get any better....I love it!"....while Todd Christensen acted like he caught a whiff of some fresh turds every time Elway made a big play.

Awesome.

That's what made Elway great! 4th&6, and 4th&10 and you still felt like he was going to make a play and then he went out there and did it.

I lived in Houston at that time right after moving from Denver. I was watching the game with some my friends at that time and kept hearing how great the run n shoot offense was and how Dishman would shut Elway down. Moment the broncos got backed up to the 2, they all thought the Oilers won it. I told them in a few minutes they'll feel exactly like the people of Cleveland. For the rest of the school yr, whenever my friend saw me he would mutter "f$ckin 4th and 10."

:thumbs:

enjolras
06-23-2011, 05:45 PM
The snap on that field goal attempt still makes my heart stop.

brncs_fan
06-23-2011, 05:58 PM
The snap on that field goal attempt still makes my heart stop.

Good job on Kubiaks part for being able to handle the snap and also to talk to the official beforehand and make sure he knew his options if he had to eat it.

Chris
06-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Pure sweetness.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Watching those highlights almost brings a tear to my eyes.

80's/early 90's era football was my favorite era of football.

We won the Super Bowls in the late 90s, but nothing beats the old uniforms, a young gun slinging athletic John Elway, and a ravenous Mile High crowd that savored the last minute comebacks.

Those games were during my youth and I identify those carefree years closely with the Broncos....back then I lived and died with those games.

I'm still a football nut, but now there are mortgages, a wife, a kid, a job, and bills....I put wins and losses in perspective....but back then life was a lot less complicated and every win or loss was to be drunken in like the sweet nectar of the gods or agonized over profusely.

I get nostalgic when I see those old highlights.

Chris
06-23-2011, 06:20 PM
Funny I feel the same way about the superbowl years because I was young. It will never be that "magical".

LRtagger
06-23-2011, 06:25 PM
I wonder how many current Broncos have seen this.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Funny I feel the same way about the superbowl years because I was young. It will never be that "magical".

The Super Bowl winning years were magical to me....because it was a culmination of John Elway's career and those Super Bowl losses and I wanted to see him win a Super Bowl in the worst way.... but it was living and dying with all the games all those previous years that made it so special.

I was 25 and 26 when we won the 2 Super Bowls, so it was the perfect ending to that whole era for me.

What a way to finish the John Elway era of Broncos football....we were pretty damn lucky to experience that.

Those teams kicked some ass....the earlier teams fought to comeback and win games anyway they could....but it was sweet to see Denver finally have a team that kicked ass and rolled the other teams like they did.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 06:47 PM
I had my season tickets during the Super Bowl winning years.

It was awesome because it seemed like we would kick every team in their peckers at home and losing a home game was a rare occurrence back then. I loved getting wasted in the South Stands and watching us destroy teams during that time period.

That Jacksonville playoff loss deflated me....I thought that was Elway's big chance to win it all that year. I walked out of the stadium feeling like somebody shanked my dog.

That ****ty game made the next 2 years even sweeter.

jsco70
06-23-2011, 07:00 PM
I was at this game with one of my best friends who has since passed away. Truly one of the greatest days, and fondest memories, of my entire life.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 08:49 PM
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpg

You disagree with that?

Todd Christensen was a Raider and whenever he announced a Denver game you could tell he wanted the other team to win.

vancejohnson82
06-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Vance always came up big

broncosteven
06-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Watching those highlights almost brings a tear to my eyes.

80's/early 90's era football was my favorite era of football.

We won the Super Bowls in the late 90s, but nothing beats the old uniforms, a young gun slinging athletic John Elway, and a ravenous Mile High crowd that savored the last minute comebacks.

Those games were during my youth and I identify those carefree years closely with the Broncos....back then I lived and died with those games.

I'm still a football nut, but now there are mortgages, a wife, a kid, a job, and bills....I put wins and loses in perspective....but back then life was a lot less complicated and every win or loss was to be drunken in like the sweet nectar of the gods or agonized over profusely.

I get nostalgic when I see those old highlights.

I just watched the 1988 (87 season) beatdown of the Oilers the other day. I am rewatching the Lions game from the 87 season for the same reason as your post above.

I need to get more dvd's from Atlas, I have a big whole in the SB run years of the mid-late 80's.

I can't wait to hear that the lock out is over.

Bronco Yoda
06-23-2011, 10:36 PM

oh, the memories.

Greatest QB ever!

cutthemdown
06-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Its obvious though what a pathetic offense reeves had. It was ruin the first 3 quarters then turn Elway loose in 4th to try and win the game. Its basically all broken plays.

mwill07
06-25-2011, 07:26 AM
that was the first pro-football game I have ever been to....I was in Jr High at the time. For some reason, playoff tickets weren't selling all that well...I guess fans were gun-shy after the previous SB disappointments. My dad managed to get tickets (from ticketmaster, I think) that were on the 2nd row of the upper deck - pretty amazing seats, having the entire stadium open up in front of you. Man, the atmosphere of that stadium when were leaving was something I will never forget...it's an absolutely amazing feeling to be surrounded by 75k giddy, screaming, delighted, and relieved fans.

barryr
06-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Great memories! Elway despite no running game, average receivers and average OL still found ways to get it done. I will say while the talent around him on offense was never that great until Phillips and then Shanahan of course came aboard, they others did some up with some big plays too and rarely did the OL commit penalties at the wrong time, especially in the comebacks.

Bob's your Information Minister
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Some pretty awful holding by Denver's left tackle on at least one of those 4th downs and probably two.

06-25-2011, 08:55 AM
Where was Elway the next week against the Bills? ROFL!

DarkHorse
06-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Surprise! Nobody expected you to chime in here.

/sarcasm

gunns
06-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Loved that game! It was so great having a QB like Elway, I was thrilled when they got backed up to the 2. You just knew he was going to work his magic and when he hit Johnson I just laughed.

I always liked Moon and felt sorry for him the next year when the same thing happened in an epic choke.

Pendejo
06-25-2011, 10:44 AM
Some pretty awful holding by Denver's left tackle on at least one of those 4th downs and probably two.

Chiefs fans in general are experts when it comes to holding . After all it was invented in K.C.

barryr
06-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Chiefs fans in general are experts when it comes to holding . After all it was invented in K.C.

The Chiefs also invented how to pretend to go offsides while playing at home with the crowd noise and making the OL false start, which later the NFL had to change the rules because of it. Also, when the Chiefs had Hall returning kicks, they were good at blocking in the back too. But since the Chiefs haven't sniffed a Super Bowl in 41 years, 42 coming up, not sure what they have to be crowing about.

SouthStndJunkie
06-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Let's fire up some Kansas City playoff awesomeness:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d81d92589/Wild-card-Playoffs-Ravens-vs-Chiefs-highlights

DarkHorse
06-25-2011, 12:39 PM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d81d92589/Wild-card-Playoffs-Ravens-vs-Chiefs-highlights

Where are the rest? Did that include KC highlights at all?

cutthemdown
06-25-2011, 01:19 PM
The offense stunk the yr we lost to the Bills in the Championship game. Defense actually better that yr then the yrs we went to the Superbowl. The held the bills high powered offense in check. It was a bonehead Elway pick 6 that I remember. It was a long time ago though i could be wrong and remember different playoff games bunched together.

barryr
06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
The offense stunk the yr we lost to the Bills in the Championship game. Defense actually better that yr then the yrs we went to the Superbowl. The held the bills high powered offense in check. It was a bonehead Elway pick 6 that I remember. It was a long time ago though i could be wrong and remember different playoff games bunched together.

Yep, the big play of the game was when Elway was about to get hit, he didnīt seem to have much time to throw most of the game, and threw a pass that was tipped and picked off for a score. Treadwell also missed like 2-3 field goals too. Elway got hurt, Kubiak comes in and leads them to a score and was on the march again until Sewell fumbled and that was the game. That was about the start of some people stupidly calling for Kubiak to start over Elway and drafting of Maddox soon happened.

SouthStndJunkie
06-25-2011, 02:25 PM
I've talked to Steve Sewell several times over the years and you could tell that fumble really bothered him.

I asked him about it in 1995 and you could tell it still really hurt to talk about.

Steve Sewell is a really nice dude.

barryr
06-25-2011, 06:32 PM
I've talked to Steve Sewell several times over the years and you could tell that fumble really bothered him.

I asked him about it in 1995 and you could tell it still really hurt to talk about.

Steve Sewell is a really nice dude.

Yes, I bet it did. I donīt remember him fumbling much during his career either.

broncosteven
06-25-2011, 07:22 PM

I was thinking more along these lines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jrxN-hopo0

gunns
06-25-2011, 07:36 PM

Where was Montana against the Bills in the AFCC? Oh yeah underneath Bruce Smith and then on the bench

Archer81
06-25-2011, 08:01 PM
It must suck to be a Chiefs fan. The last time they won a playoff game, I was 12.

:Broncos:

cutthemdown
06-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Yep, the big play of the game was when Elway was about to get hit, he didnīt seem to have much time to throw most of the game, and threw a pass that was tipped and picked off for a score. Treadwell also missed like 2-3 field goals too. Elway got hurt, Kubiak comes in and leads them to a score and was on the march again until Sewell fumbled and that was the game. That was about the start of some people stupidly calling for Kubiak to start over Elway and drafting of Maddox soon happened.

I remember feeling the Broncos should have won that game, but also I remember being a little shell shocked about the prospect of losing another Superbowl.

oubronco
06-25-2011, 09:18 PM
:59 seconds left 4th and 10 the Oilers call timeout the annoucer says "I don't think that was smart with Elway having the ball" then they show the Oilers DC talking to a guy fittingly named "Dumas". You can't make this stuff up Hilarious!

And that's the way a crowd is supposed to sound like :strong:

barryr
06-26-2011, 12:20 AM
:59 seconds left 4th and 10 the Oilers call timeout the annoucer says "I don't think that was smart with Elway having the ball" then they show the Oilers DC talking to a guy fittingly named "Dumas". You can't make this stuff up Hilarious!

And that's the way a crowd is supposed to sound like :strong:

True, that timeout actually helped the Broncos regroup since things were not looking good at the time.

barryr
06-26-2011, 12:23 AM
I remember feeling the Broncos should have won that game, but also I remember being a little shell shocked about the prospect of losing another Superbowl.

True, they likely would not have beaten Dallas. I think that is who won it that year.

06-26-2011, 02:32 AM
Where was Montana against the Bills in the AFCC? Oh yeah underneath Bruce Smith and then on the bench

Comparing 37-year old Montana to 31-year old Elway?

Yeah, that's fair.

SouthStndJunkie
06-26-2011, 02:42 AM

Yeah, that's fair.

John Elway was winning Super Bowls when he was 37 and 38 years old.

ol#7
06-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Man some of you guys have TERRIBLE memories! I remember that game so well, I lived in Downtown and Worked for the Nuggets, I was supposed to leave for the game but didnt want to with it being so tight. Wound up caught in traffic, I actually think they held tip off because of the Bronco game though.

The reason people werent so jacked up for the game is that the Oilers manhandled us earlier in the year. During the first half, it looked like is was about to happen again before the 'D' clamped down.

The AFCC Treadwells two misses really sunk us, but Kubes brought us back, then we recovered the onside kick and were marching again before Sewells fumble. We were in FG range too dammit! Sewell used to come to some Nuggets games, great guy, and I am sure he wanted to atone for it but got a career ending injury the next year. That guy made so many play and game saving plays over the years and that damn fumble had to be his last play!

Elway got pretty busted up against the Bills too, I think they said he couldnt have played in the SB against WASHINGTON, the Mark Rypian led skins. I always thought even with Kubiak that was a SB we could have won. I think this is a fun year because of all the what ifs! What if Denver with Kubiak win the SB, Reeves doesnt get fired, Elway probably never wins one himself, cats sleep with dogs...just a whole lot of things that would have been different.

Bronco Rob
06-27-2011, 05:59 AM

Yeah, that's fair.

Barry Montanilow got 86'ed for Steve Young.

just sayin'

mwill07
06-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Man some of you guys have TERRIBLE memories! I remember that game so well, I lived in Downtown and Worked for the Nuggets, I was supposed to leave for the game but didnt want to with it being so tight. Wound up caught in traffic, I actually think they held tip off because of the Bronco game though.

The reason people werent so jacked up for the game is that the Oilers manhandled us earlier in the year. During the first half, it looked like is was about to happen again before the 'D' clamped down.

The AFCC Treadwells two misses really sunk us, but Kubes brought us back, then we recovered the onside kick and were marching again before Sewells fumble. We were in FG range too dammit! Sewell used to come to some Nuggets games, great guy, and I am sure he wanted to atone for it but got a career ending injury the next year. That guy made so many play and game saving plays over the years and that damn fumble had to be his last play!

Elway got pretty busted up against the Bills too, I think they said he couldnt have played in the SB against WASHINGTON, the Mark Rypian led skins. I always thought even with Kubiak that was a SB we could have won. I think this is a fun year because of all the what ifs! What if Denver with Kubiak win the SB, Reeves doesnt get fired, Elway probably never wins one himself, cats sleep with dogs...just a whole lot of things that would have been different.

woah. that's deep.

BroncoLifer
06-27-2011, 01:24 PM
True, they likely would not have beaten Dallas. I think that is who won it that year.

Redskins. And I remember Joe Gibbs saying in the Super Bowl postgame that they used some of what they'd seen the Broncos do against the Bills (basically, a ton of blitzing) to shut them down.

bronco militia
06-27-2011, 01:32 PM
I didn't think the broncos were better than the Bills that year, but they should have won that game.

it was nice to see them bounce back after getting killed in SB 24 and then going 5-11 the previous year.