PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone use a TV as a computer monitor?

That One Guy
06-18-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to set up my computer room but since my wife uses it for scrapbooking, I was considering hooking up cable in there as well. If I use a monitor, I probably need to get a new video card. If I use a TV, the cable can run straight from the wall but I don't know how the quality is for computers on a TV. Anyone have experience?

The other part is that whatever I use will have to be mounted. I found a couple monitors that can be but they're all more expensive than the cheaper Vizio TVs that Wal-Mart had.

Jay3
06-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I do. It works fine. In this era of HDTV and HDMI cable, computer monitors and TV's are essentially the same thing.

Get an HDTV from Walmart, and hook it to your computer (hopefully with an HDMI cable if your computer is new enough). That way, you can also easily watch movies and programs off the internet on the TV as well. You can Netflix on it, anything.

rovolution
06-18-2011, 06:14 PM
yea I do it with my Macbook. Works great with an HDMI cord (and HDMI does video + audio)

broncosteven
06-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I do. It works fine. In this era of HDTV and HDMI cable, computer monitors and TV's are essentially the same thing.

Get an HDTV from Walmart, and hook it to your computer (hopefully with an HDMI cable if your computer is new enough). That way, you can also easily watch movies and programs off the internet on the TV as well. You can Netflix on it, anything.

What he said, just make sure your pc can connect to the TV/Monitor you buy.

want2bAbronco2
06-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I use a 46" Samsung LED as my pc monitor, and I love it! I play PWI, Star Trek, and soon Star Wars on it. Everything looks great. Like everyone says, just make sure you use HDMI!