PDA

View Full Version : Al Wilson loses lawsuit

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 05:12 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/18/al-wilson-loses-malpractice-case-against-broncos-doctor/

Al Wilson spent eight years in the NFL as a linebacker with the Broncos. A neck injury that he suffered late in the 2006 season ultimately prevented Wilson from spending a ninth year in the NFL.

But Wilson thinks it didn’t have to be that way. After a Broncos doctor advised against surgery and a trade was arranged with the Giants, the deal fell apart when Giants doctors concluded that Wilson needed surgery.

Believing he would have received a five-year, $25 million deal from the Giants, Wilson filed a malpractice suit against Dr. Chad Prusmack, claiming that he negligently failed to recommend surgery to repair the neck injury.

Felisa Cardona of the Denver Post reports that, earlier this month, a Denver jury found that Dr. Prusmack was not negligent. The defense included evidence indicating that Wilson later was cleared to play despite not having the surgery.

So why didn’t the Giants clear him? Maybe their doctor has a different approach to treating such injuries. Maybe they had second thoughts about the trade. Either way, the jury concluded that Dr. Prusmack has no responsibility for the fact that the Giants opted not to add Wilson to the roster that capped what would have been his first season on the team with a Super Bowl win.

barryr
06-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Neck injuries for any football are always cause for concern, but especially for MLB´s and RB´s.

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Would have been nice if he won some money, he played hard. Not like it would hurt Broncos it would have been some insurance company paying it.

broncosteven
06-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Would have been nice if he won some money, he played hard. Not like it would hurt Broncos it would have been some insurance company paying it.

I agree but if you have ever been disabled with a neck injury in a car accident not of your fault you will see just how hard it is to get money that you pay insurance for and just how little your life is worth. If you can afford it buy enough liabilty to pay for your house and have some left over, after the lawyer and Dr's get their grubby hands in it! No offense to our resident lawyers and Dr here...

I feel bad for Al, he did play hard but he also made a lot more than I any of us here do.

I just hope his neck is ok.

UberBroncoMan
06-18-2011, 08:54 PM
He comes off as a guy who saved his money. I think he'll be just fine.

worm
06-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Amazing how the fortunes of a player and of teams (Justin Tuck was going to be a Bronco) can change in an instant. If that trade would have happened, Al would have got a final payday and the Dline for Denver would have been vastly improved changing a lot of downstream choices.

kappys
06-18-2011, 11:05 PM

This is complete crap. Want to know why medical costs are too high? Its because of suits like this. Why should the doctor have to pay malpractice for an a injury that didn't necesarily need surgery. It sounds like a more just verdict was found. Its not just some insurance company - the physician would likely see his rates increased

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 11:16 PM
This is complete crap. Want to know why medical costs are too high? Its because of suits like this. Why should the doctor have to pay malpractice for an a injury that didn't necesarily need surgery. It sounds like a more just verdict was found. Its not just some insurance company - the physician would likely see his rates increased

Just going with my heart, not talking why our country is broke or medical costs rampant. When it comes to the Broncos and wanting the best for the guys who sold out for us I sort of lose all logic. I would even lie and say no officer Mr Romonowski did not punch that dude that i saw, he slipped on a bar of soap.

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 11:17 PM

Would you feel better if I said I wish Al had not gotten hurt, we got justin tuck, and he went on to win a superbowl, that is fine with me also. No need really to make it about anything else really.

Denver Bronco56
06-18-2011, 11:51 PM
man i miss having Al healthy... back in the day he was a elite MLB

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 11:52 PM
man i miss having Al healthy... back in the day he was a elite MLB

To bad none of those Broncos teams could get over the hump. He played hard though and I agree for a while he was probably in the top 5 4-3 middle linebackers. A few guys better but a whole lot worst that is for sure.

KipCorrington25
06-18-2011, 11:54 PM
This blurb makes no sense, so if the Giants cleared him why didn't he get his big contract? Oh, they didn't? Case closed.

OrangeCrush2724
06-19-2011, 06:07 PM
The word "malpractice" just sends shivers on my back. It sucks not being able to practice the way you want to (especially if its best for the patient) because you are scared somebody will sue you.

bowtown
06-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Amazing how the fortunes of a player and of teams (Justin Tuck was going to be a Bronco) can change in an instant. If that trade would have happened, Al would have got a final payday and the Dline for Denver would have been vastly improved changing a lot of downstream choices.

Tuck was never going to be a part of that trade. We wanted him, but the Giants refused to make him part of the package. It was going to be for draft picks only.

PS. I really, really, really, really miss Big Al.