PDA

View Full Version : Bowlen Rumor

Tombstone RJ
06-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I was watching the NFLN Total Access and they had a reporter from LA and Ice Cube on and this reported said that there's a rumor that Stan Kronke and Bowlen will trade ownership and that Bowlen will take the Rams when the Rams move back to LA.

Anyone here about this?

Crushaholic
06-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Now, why would he do that? If he wanted to move to L.A., he could just sell his interest in the team and go...

SoCalBronco
06-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Haven't heard of that.

I'm not sure Bowlen has the right to "swap" teams. Kaiser would probably run into Court characterizing it as a "sale" and would assert his rights. Now, obviously, he couldn't match such an offer since he doesnt own another team to swap with, but anything involving the transfer of any ownership rights is going to get complicated (and bogged down) by Kaiser.

Personally, I'd love to see someone other than Bowlen owning this team, just not Kaiser, so if Bowlen does want to move on to other ventures (yes!) hes' going to have to offer Kaiser some kind of financial package in order to get him to waive his rights and not bog things down in Court.

NFLBRONCO
06-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Haven't heard of that.

I'm not sure Bowlen has the right to "swap" teams. Kaiser would probably run into Court characterizing it as a "sale" and would assert his rights. Now, obviously, he couldn't match such an offer since he doesnt own another team to swap with, but anything involving the transfer of any ownership rights is going to get complicated (and bogged down) by Kaiser.

Personally, I'd love to see someone other than Bowlen owning this team, just not Kaiser, so if Bowlen does want to move on to other ventures (yes!) hes' going to have to offer Kaiser some kind of financial package in order to get him to waive his rights and not bog things down in Court.

Not 100% sure how I'd like Stan as our owner either.

bowtown
06-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Well if Ice Cube said it, it must be true.

NFLBRONCO
06-17-2011, 09:55 PM

no doubt

Bronco Yoda
06-17-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't like this Rumor. Not one bit.

schaaf
06-17-2011, 10:32 PM
rumor is... im getting it when he dies

KipCorrington25
06-18-2011, 12:22 AM
I saw the peice it was the writer from the LA Times that said this. He just sort of blurted it out with no real context or support behind it. Nothing more was mentioned. It was pretty random overall, didn't seem to have any credability other than a passing thought.

OBF1
06-18-2011, 12:31 AM
The LA times is a sh it factory, No one I know reads it any longer.

DomCasual
06-18-2011, 12:36 AM

I would love it, although I don't want to lose Pat. Kroenke spends money. He hasn't done it with the Avs this year, but he signs most everyone he's asked ti sign with the Nuggets. And I believe he would definitely spend whatever the Broncos needed.

Mogulseeker
06-18-2011, 12:54 AM

Trade happy?

I don't know, Kroenke might be better than Bowlen at this point, I mean, he brought the Nuggets into relevance and up until recently was doing a great job with the Avalanche.

ZONA
06-18-2011, 02:33 AM
I'm all for Elway being the GM for 5 years or so, learning the management side. Then it's time for him to own the team and he'll know what to look for in a GM since he was one. I eventually would like to see Elway as the majority owner.

24champ
06-18-2011, 06:21 AM
First of all, Kroenke AND Bowlen are on the NFL's Los Angeles Stadium group.

Bowlen's been in the group for years and we all know the subtle threats Bowlen made about moving the team when the Stadium deal was being negotiated. So I wouldn't be surprised if Bowlen was still interested in Los Angeles.

That being said, as Socal mentioned before, I would assume there would be a LOT of legal hoops to jump through for a "swap" of NFL teams.

RhymesayersDU
06-18-2011, 06:51 AM
I would love it, although I don't want to lose Pat. Kroenke spends money. He hasn't done it with the Avs this year, but he signs most everyone he's asked ti sign with the Nuggets. And I believe he would definitely spend whatever the Broncos needed.

Besides Kroenke being willing to spend money to win, I'd also look at this as a long-term secession planning type of thing. I know we've had the threads about Bowlen's health, and it's all speculation, but, if he isn't in a position to adequately run the business, and if his kids aren't interested in taking it, then I'd be very glad Kroenke would be getting it rather than some faceless ownership group or corporation.

bowtown
06-18-2011, 07:37 AM

I'm confused where this idea comes from that Pat is not willing to spend money on this team. We've just been spending it on the wrong guys for the past 10 years because we have no GM... that's what Pat should be blamed for, not for being cheap.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-18-2011, 07:43 AM
http://images3.cliqueclack.com/tv/files/2011/04/brilliant.jpg

BroncsRule
06-18-2011, 08:10 AM
I remember reading that there is an NFL league rule in place that states no NFL owner can have a majority interest in any other sports franchise in the same city.

So Stan can't own the Broncos.

srphoenix
06-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Would Bowlen really want McD back that badly? ;)

mkporter
06-18-2011, 08:38 AM
I remember reading that there is an NFL league rule in place that states no NFL owner can have a majority interest in any other sports franchise in the same city.

So Stan can't own the Broncos.

The other way around. He had to give up control of the nugs to buy the Rams.

OrangeSe7en
06-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Haven't heard of that.

Is it even known that Kaiser can afford to buy back interest in the Broncos? I mean, its one thing to have a right to but its another thing to have the means to do it, no? At that point, if Kaiser has to raise the funds by finding other investors, does he still qualify or does it have to he Kaiser and only Kaiser per se? Also, I would assume that the buying price would be FMV and not some agreed upon price from 1983/84. Hopefully its not some dated agreed upon price from 83/84 that's ridiculously low since that would involve mutual ascent.

Personally, I think its time for a change, whether its Elway in a couple of years or Kroenke. I say that reluctantly because there could be someone worse than Bowlen (yes, even now). Im just tired of Joe Ellis in the background making decisions and telling Bowlen to sign stuff as well as trying to look past Bowlens obvious shortcomings. This franchise has become too much about Bowlen now, which is somewhat ironic because Bowlen's often lauded for staying out of the way.

Hamrob
06-18-2011, 08:54 AM
I know this...something will happen over the next 5-10 years regarding the Broncos ownership. That's for sure. Bowlen is no spring chicken.

I'm certainly not one to kick him to the curb...He's kept this team competetive for almost 20yrs. I hope he stays put...but, he likes the open air and sun. There could be something to this rumor.

OrangeSe7en
06-18-2011, 09:02 AM
I know this...something will happen over the next 5-10 years regarding the Broncos ownership. That's for sure. Bowlen is no spring chicken.

I'm certainly not one to kick him to the curb...He's kept this team competetive for almost 20yrs. I hope he stays put...but, he likes the open air and sun. There could be something to this rumor.

I find this comment interesting. One of the things he's praised for is staying out of the way, which implies he lets people do their jobs. This would also imply that if the franchise was run successfully, there were competent people in place doing their jobs. Basically, what Im getting at is, the bulk of those 20 years were with Shanahan and Reeves as head coach. Bowlen inherited Reeves. You could do a lot worse than Reeves. And it's actually hard to do better than Shanahan during that time. So was it really something Bowlen was doing or was it Bowlen staying out of the way of Reeves and Shanahan? Most comments involving praise are for Bowlen staying out of the way.

Its just the nice things people say about Bowlen are often more attributable to the coaches he had during his time owning the Broncos. But since Bowlen is still in Denver with the Broncos and those other coaches are not, the praise conveniently gets shifted to Bowlen.

Bronco Yoda
06-18-2011, 11:35 AM
At this point, i don't want to see any change in ownership. Give Elway at least a couple more years to get a good footing.

KipCorrington25
06-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Kronke is a lot more wealthy I'll give him that.

enjolras
06-18-2011, 06:49 PM
I find this comment interesting. One of the things he's praised for is staying out of the way, which implies he lets people do their jobs. This would also imply that if the franchise was run successfully, there were competent people in place doing their jobs. Basically, what Im getting at is, the bulk of those 20 years were with Shanahan and Reeves as head coach. Bowlen inherited Reeves. You could do a lot worse than Reeves. And it's actually hard to do better than Shanahan during that time. So was it really something Bowlen was doing or was it Bowlen staying out of the way of Reeves and Shanahan? Most comments involving praise are for Bowlen staying out of the way.

That's how leadership works. You put the right people in the right place to do the right job at the right time. For the bulk of Bowlens tenure has owner he's done exactly that.

I can name quite a few owners who have insisted on meddling in the operations of the teams that they really have no business meddling in. Jerry Jones and Daniel Synder spring to mind.

houghtam
06-18-2011, 08:23 PM
That's how leadership works. You put the right people in the right place to do the right job at the right time. For the bulk of Bowlens tenure has owner he's done exactly that.

I can name quite a few owners who have insisted on meddling in the operations of the teams that they really have no business meddling in. Jerry Jones and Daniel Synder spring to mind.

Agree. This goes for pretty much all levels of leadership and management, and the higher up you get in the food chain, the more important it is. Some of the worst owners are the ones that can be found meddling in the day to day operations of the team/company, regardless of how smart they are in that industry. Even if you know your stuff, meddling in the affairs of your staff only makes them resent you.

DivineBronco
06-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Agree. This goes for pretty much all levels of leadership and management, and the higher up you get in the food chain, the more important it is. Some of the worst owners are the ones that can be found meddling in the day to day operations of the team/company, regardless of how smart they are in that industry. Even if you know your stuff, meddling in the affairs of your staff only makes them resent you.

the season of Hard Knocks with the Bengals was eye opening. You only had to watch Mike Brown operate for 20 minutes and the reasons for their sucking became abundantly clear.

Taco John
06-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Dammit... I need to reinstall photoshop so that I can make a picture of Ice Cube in front of a light rail train with some witty text for massive reps and epic lulz.

Tombstone RJ
06-20-2011, 01:25 PM

I never said Ice Cube said anything about it, I said the reporter from LA talked about it while Ice Cube was just there to promote a LA team.

bowtown
06-20-2011, 01:37 PM
I never said Ice Cube said anything about it, I said the reporter from LA talked about it while Ice Cube was just there to promote a LA team.

Well if Ice Cube was there, it must be true.

mkporter
06-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Ice Cube's going to buy the Broncos? That's crazy. I hope he doesn't try to move the team to L.A.

tsiguy96
06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Ice Cube's going to buy the Broncos? That's crazy. I hope he doesn't try to move the team to L.A.

los angeles broncos?

B.W.A?

Bronco Yoda
06-20-2011, 02:47 PM
I heard it might be the Denver Ice Cubes. That's going to be one strange logo.

Tombstone RJ
06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Well if Ice Cube was there, it must be true.

I am suprised that this reporter has the cojones to say that Bowlen and Kroenke are considering an ownership swap and that Bowlen will get the Rams IF they move to LA.

The Rams are one of the teams that could possibly move to LA. Kroenke already owns the Nuggets and the Avalanche and the Pepsi Arena. I can see why he'd also like to own the Broncos and Invesco Field.

Maybe this is a way for Bowlen to sell out and not have to deal with the whole Kaiser thing.

serious hops
06-20-2011, 04:28 PM
That would be frickin' sweet.

OrangeSe7en
06-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Not really. The two ends of the spectrum both have flaws and both have also been effective. I mean, if you're going to say it was leadership that he let Reeves and Shanahan run the franchise, then what is it when he let it go too far?

And then you could also say "leaders" put checks and balances and systems into place. Bowlen has never done that, even now.

The Moops
06-22-2011, 07:51 AM
This will never happen. Believe me.

Tombstone RJ
06-22-2011, 11:27 AM
This will never happen. Believe me.

If this stuff is being talked about on NFLN, on their prime time show, then I have to believe that there is something to it. I'm assuming that the NFLN is owned by the NFL and that Total Access isn't going to spread false (and possibly inflamatory) rumors about the owners if there is no truth to any of it. However, I could be wrong...