PDA

View Full Version : "You don't spank children today," said Judge

Pony Boy
06-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Wow, what to hell is going on here, are the inmates running the asylum?

Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid and she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (CBS) -- A judge in Corpus Christi, Texas had some harsh words for a mother charged with spanking her own child before sentencing her to probation.
"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."
Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.
As part of the plea deal, Gonzales will serve five years probation, during which time she'll have to take parenting classes, follow CPS guidelines, and make a $50 payment to the Children's Advocacy Center.
She was arrested back in December after the child's paternal grandmother noticed red marks on the child's rear end. The grandmother took the girl, who was two years-old at the time, to the hospital to be checked out.
Gonzales who doesn't have custody of the child or her other two children, is trying to get them back, but until CPS feels she is ready the kids are living with their paternal grandmother.

http://www.volunteertv.com/national/headlines/Mom_pleads_guilty_to_spanking_own_child_124072014. html

FISH
06-17-2011, 08:35 PM
that....is craziness

OABB
06-17-2011, 08:36 PM
I want to have children just to spank them.

JCMElway
06-17-2011, 08:40 PM
I was mad about this article until I read how young the child was. Spanking a child that young just seems ineffective because they're not going to get it cognitively why what they did was wrong. I'm not against spanking completely, but spanking that young just seems to be something done out of anger, and not to redirect behavior.

Archer81
06-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Growing up there were parents of my friends who did time outs and explained things to their kids. These were some delinquint kids, too. My parents spanked us. We had shenanigans. Much saner and more fun.

:Broncos:

Dr. Broncenstein
06-17-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't think it's necessary to spank a child in order to maintain discipline. That said, I don't think spanking is child abuse either. There are cases upon cases where CPS completely and willfully ignores actual child abuse. In Oklahoma alone there have been several cases recently of children allowed back into the custody of their abusive parents, only to wind up dead from abuse. That CPS will pursue a spanking case as felony child abuse says all you need to know about how they operate... government bureaucracy defined.

UberBroncoMan
06-17-2011, 08:48 PM
ROFL. ****ing pussy ass world.

Fedaykin
06-17-2011, 08:49 PM
The proper title for this thread is. "You don't spank toddlers"

Pony Boy
06-17-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't think it's necessary to spank a child in order to maintain discipline. That said, I don't think spanking is child abuse either. There are cases upon cases where CPS completely and willfully ignores actual child abuse. In Oklahoma alone there have been several cases recently of children allowed back into the custody of their abusive parents, only to wind up dead from abuse. That CPS will pursue a spanking case as felony child abuse says all you need to know about how they operate... government bureaucracy defined.

I have two kids and both are well adjusted successful professionals with kids of their own. I can count the times on one hand that my daughter needed a swat on the rear but on the other hand, I wore my sons butt out several times. We are not talking beating or abusing but just a good old fashion spanking. ;D

db56
06-17-2011, 08:55 PM
I have two kids and both are well adjusted successful professionals with kids of their own. I can count the times on one hand that my daughter needed a swat on the rear but on the other hand, I wore my sons butt out several times. We are not talking beating or abusing but just a good old fashion spanking. ;D

this..

spanking is one thing, child abuse is another.

Common Sense Pass It on!

Bob's your Information Minister
06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
I was spanked often as a child.

It worked, sort of. I contain my tomfoolery to the internet.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-17-2011, 08:58 PM

Heh... good thing you didn't raise your kids in Corpus Christie. Especially with the internet and whatnot to put idears in their heads. :)

Dr. Broncenstein
06-17-2011, 08:59 PM
I was spanked often as a child.

It worked, sort of. I contain my tomfoolery to the internet.

Does the family rule apply here? Because I'm so tempted to chance a banning.

06-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Go right ahead, I'm not going to report your post.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Go right ahead, I'm not going to report your post.

You promise?

Archer81
06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
The proper title for this thread is. "You don't spank toddlers"

Depends on how you define spank.

A bare hand giving a single whack to a diaper covered ass is not spanking, and doesnt hurt the kid. The point is to get them to stop, which is the ultimate goal.

06-17-2011, 09:23 PM
You promise?

cross my heart
and hope to die

houghtam
06-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I was mad about this article until I read how young the child was. Spanking a child that just seems ineffective because they're not going to get it cognitively why what they did was wrong. I'm not against spanking completely, but spanking that young just seems to be something done out of anger, and not to redirect behavior.

This. I have a two year old and wouldn't consider spanking him, because it would not accomplish anything except getting out my own frustration. Kids that young have no idea why they're being spanked. They can barely form their own coherent thoughts at that age.

I am not a fan of spanking, but could see the use when a child purposely does something that they know is wrong. I'm not sure what this kid did to "deserve" a spanking, but at two years old, I'm pretty sure that child hadn't had a chance to form their ideas of what right and wrong are. She probably didn't even know her colors yet.

DBroncos4life
06-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Spanking a kid is a felony but it takes 3 dui's in the state of Texas before that becomes a felony. Hell assault is a misdemeanor there.

bowtown
06-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Why would you spank a 2 year-old? What would that accomplish? Why waste them?

BroncoMan4ever
06-17-2011, 11:38 PM
give me a break with this pussy ass society not letting kids discipline their kids.

sometimes a kid just needs to get smacked. can't discipline kids anymore but it is ok to drug the **** out of them.

that's why there is so much crap about kids nowadays all having ADD or ADHD. it is nothing like that, it is kids today can do whatever they want without worry of getting smacked. smack the kid a few times and he will sit the hell down and stop being a menace.

Pseudofool
06-17-2011, 11:54 PM
The judgement is totally out of hand, but wtf are people still spanking their kids for? The practice is totally outmoded, and was always a result of lazy parenting.

*WARHORSE*
06-18-2011, 12:53 AM
A foolish judge.

Spank YOUNG. Yes, I believe a great age is 2.

Obedience is not an option.

At two, if they dont listen, you give them timeout, etc. If timeout works.....fine.

But if the child REBELS and flat out will not listen, then you spank, a couple of cracks. Not abusive spanking, but enough to sting very well, and that it makes an impression.

Never out of anger.

I have four children. Spanked the oldest the most, but that was because I didnt know better. At 8, he was never spanked again, probably got 7 or so spankings in that time.

The rest.....no more than twice, and my children are very obedient.

The reason for spanking early is number one to establish your authority and the consequence. Once again, not in anger, but in love. Dad is the authority. You can choose to disobey, but it will be met with consequence.

Once they know consequence, they can be helped to understand grace, which a far more effective teacher.

But without consequence........grace is nothing.

Each of my children received a spank at two or three. After the spanking, a very simple explanation was given. Dad loves you. You have to listen to dad.

Do you understand? *nods*

They are pretty much obedient from there on out, up until 4 or so. After that, they have the ability to reason somewhat.

That is the route taken then. And a spanking at 4 or so will only be done if there is outright disobedience to your face, to mom or dad. I dont mean they did something you told them not to do. Im talking about if they stand in your face and say or shout "NO" to you, that they are not going to listen.

In that instance, spank, not in anger. Give them time after the spank.....say an hour or so. Then go in and discuss in love why they got cracks. Helping them to see that they are loved, but rebelliousness is not ok, nor welcome.

Take a look at the country............I rest my case.

spdirty
06-18-2011, 01:41 AM
I hate spanking my kids, but willful disobedience leaves me no choice. If they ever start thinking that that behavior is OK, then I failed them as a parent. A spanking, send them to their room, 5 minutes later give them a talk with about 5-10 I love yous, and the behavior is 100 percent corrected. And for about 6 months after that, all I need is the threat of the spanking. But yeah, this country is so ****ed.

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 01:48 AM
That is ridiculous and over stepping what child abuse laws should cover.

Mogulseeker
06-18-2011, 01:58 AM

This

Jay3
06-18-2011, 06:01 AM
I'm a spanker. It's a rare necessity, needed to back up the other forms of discipline when the child escalates. For example, if they start getting the idea they don't have to observe a time out, or don't have to go to their rooms when I tell them, or if they start to get physical with me.

Time for somebody to cry into a pillow. And it's not going to be me.

Spider
06-18-2011, 06:13 AM
you dont leave red marks on a 2 year old ........I have 7 kids , i know a lil somethin bout raising em ........

Spider
06-18-2011, 06:16 AM
Depends on how you define spank.

A bare hand giving a single whack to a diaper covered ass is not spanking, and doesnt hurt the kid. The point is to get them to stop, which is the ultimate goal.

:Broncos: you dont leave

red marks on a toddler like in this story , wtf is wrong with you ?

Spider
06-18-2011, 06:18 AM

Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid and she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (CBS) -- A judge in Corpus Christi, Texas had some harsh words for a mother charged with spanking her own child before sentencing her to probation.
"You don't spank children today," said Judge Jose Longoria. "In the old days, maybe we got spanked, but there was a different quarrel. You don't spank children."
Rosalina Gonzales had pleaded guilty to a felony charge of injury to a child for what prosecutors had described as a "pretty simple, straightforward spanking case." They noted she didn't use a belt or leave any bruises, just some red marks.
As part of the plea deal, Gonzales will serve five years probation, during which time she'll have to take parenting classes, follow CPS guidelines, and make a $50 payment to the Children's Advocacy Center.
She was arrested back in December after the child's paternal grandmother noticed red marks on the child's rear end. The grandmother took the girl, who was two years-old at the time, to the hospital to be checked out.
Gonzales who doesn't have custody of the child or her other two children, is trying to get them back, but until CPS feels she is ready the kids are living with their paternal grandmother.

http://www.volunteertv.com/national/headlines/Mom_pleads_guilty_to_spanking_own_child_124072014. html
did you read how old the child was ? or just saw the headline and posted this ?

Boobs McGee
06-18-2011, 06:21 AM
Resisting the urge for a Travis Henry/ truck driving combo joke ;D

I agree though, that's WAAAAY too early for spankng. My dad didn't start doling out smacks until I was 6 or 7.

Spider
06-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Resisting the urge for a Travis Henry/ truck driving combo joke ;D

I agree though, that's WAAAAY too early for spankng. My dad didn't start doling out smacks until I was 6 or 7.

I got some bad ass beatins , growing up , the only thing it taught me was not to fear pain ....

Garcia Bronco
06-18-2011, 06:45 AM
When you give a 2 year old a spanking you don't hit them hard or hard at any age. ****...I used to have to pick my own switch.

Ratboy
06-18-2011, 07:13 AM
I want to have children just to spank them.

I just went and spanked my 5 month old.

JCMElway
06-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I just went and spanked my 5 month old.

What good does it do to hit a child that young?

Captain 'Dre
06-18-2011, 07:39 AM
cross my heart
and hope to die

Stick a needle in your eye? ugh!~

Captain 'Dre
06-18-2011, 07:43 AM
you dont leave red marks on a 2 year old ........I have 7 kids , i know a lil somethin bout raising em ........

Hey, everybody! It's Antonio Cromartie! Ha!

Pony Boy
06-18-2011, 07:48 AM

I think we all argree you don't spank a toddler. I did swat my son's butt when he was 2 but he was big enough to swat back.

I wonder what the judge in Texas would do to a guy that spanks his wife..... ;D

Captain 'Dre
06-18-2011, 07:48 AM
The thing that shocks me about this story is that the judge presides in effing redneck TEXAS. Is there any state more proud of its violence than Texas?!?

The native language of Texas is Violence!

Kaylore
06-18-2011, 07:53 AM

It's total madness. I work with this woman. She's bi and lives with her partner. They gave her custody of her niece, who she loves, because the mom is a drug addict that jumps from man to man to steal from them and uses the money to buy drugs. Anyway, the home is a pretty stable one especially compared what the little girl was used to dealing with. The hoops both these girls have to go through astounds me. She's constantly having to leave work early or come in late because of CPS mandated meetings. She had to have her fingerprints taken and they recently were told they need state permission to cut her hair and get her ears pierced. The little girl is nine years old and since my coworker isn't a licensed cosmetologist, they won't let her trim her bangs.

Meanwhile, drug mom has missed two visits and came to one of the visits high, but they won't investigate because they don't have probable cause. It's like they punish the parents who take the kid out of kindness more than the whacked out parents who lost the kid.

Ratboy
06-18-2011, 08:00 AM
What good does it do to hit a child that young?

Makes me feel better about myself.

Spider
06-18-2011, 08:07 AM
I think we all argree you don't spank a toddler. I did swat my son's butt when he was 2 but he was big enough to swat back.

I wonder what the judge in Texas would do to a guy that spanks his wife..... ;D

lol.probably would want a video of said spanking

Spider
06-18-2011, 08:08 AM

did u make em cry into a pillow ? ;D

gunns
06-18-2011, 08:17 AM

Agree. I always talked with my kids after a spanking so they knew exactly where I was coming from. This non spanking thing puts all the control with the child and takes away from the parent and has caused us to have generations of kids who think they control it all. I had one of my children tell me they were going to call DCFS when I spanked him and I told him go for it, I could use the rest and he could go to a foster family but to never think if he ever came back that if he decided to be defiant with his behavior, nothing would change.

I do agree that 2 is young. Probably the only time I would have resorted to spanking a 2 year old is if I had reinforced not running into the road and the child ran from me into the road. I know when I was a child it sent a powerful message to me. And as they get older it's not the best way to send a message. I also don't agree with hitting anywhere but the butt. But I had a 13 year old that didn't come home from school, sheer panic set in after 2 hours and not being able to find her. Finally called the police. Officer came to the house, was taking the info and in she walks. I asked where she had been and she said with a friend. I slapped her. Policeman stands up, closes his notebook and said it appeared everything would be handled properly here.

RhymesayersDU
06-18-2011, 08:50 AM
You guys have it all wrong. You're supposed to use Sweet Valencia Oranges:

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3uFUjWhfdE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z3uFUjWhfdE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

GreatBronco16
06-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Man, I've been smacking my kids since their momma was three months pregnent with them.;D

Rock Chalk
06-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Spanking a kid is a felony but it takes 3 dui's in the state of Texas before that becomes a felony. Hell assault is a misdemeanor there.

Depends on the nature of the assault. Without a weapon and without any formal training (military, police, martial arts) most assault is merely just a fight and not a felony charge.

Once a weapon is involved and/or the person doing the assaulting has any sort of combat training, the charge is a felony and becomes an aggravated felony which you must server at LEAST 80% of the sentence before you are eligible for parole.

DWI (DUI is a different charge in Texas and applies to driving under the influence of anything but alcohol) as a misdemeanor is no punk in Texas. It may not be a felony until the 3rd but the punishments are quite harsh. THe first offense is going to cost the offender a minimum of 10K in fines, lawyer fee's and SR-22 insurance. The second goes up to about 15K, whats more, there are very few people that get a DWI dismissed in Texas. Its got a high conviction rate.

Spanking children under the age of 3 SHOULD be illegal IMO. Even at 3, 4 and 5 it should be tempered and reserved for only very severe misbehavings.

Hamrob
06-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I got the belt from my grandfather and the wooden spoon from my grandma. My parents gave me the bare hand to the rear treatment. Once in a while they told me to take my britches down...I always used to laugh at that.

I'm not sure if it's effective or not, but parents should always have that right.

However, a 2yr old.....I'd have to kick that ladies ass!

Hamrob
06-18-2011, 10:01 AM
I'm not a parent, so take this for what it's worth.

If a parent believes that a spanking is going to teach a child something...then, I think it's a tool in their toolbox so to speak.

However, I don't think any parent should spank a child while they are angry. That can turn quickly into something more than a spanking.

JCMElway
06-18-2011, 12:11 PM

Nice.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Hitting a two year old hard enough to leave marks? I'd say a court case, some probation, and some parenting classes are very much in order.

This wasn't a single swat on the butt through a diaper, like many here have advocated. This was a lot more than that. To a 2 year old.

SportinOne
06-18-2011, 02:39 PM
1. To those justifying hitting a child by pointing out unrelated laws that are out of whack, this is a pretty mindless argument to make and the reasons are obvious.

2. To those justifying hitting a child by pointing out the number of snot-nosed delinquents in America and implying that they are the result of "liberal minded free spirit parenting," I don't think you really understand that there are alternatives to spanking, time outs, and absolute free reign... there are MANNNNY MANY more methods in between and fear is not the only way to punish bad behavior or reinforce good behavior.

3. To those who think it is "weak" not to spank your kids, or to not want to spank your kids, you're a dying breed of people in this society.. slowly but surely cultural evolution will do away with you as well as other problems that are the result of too much testosterone and not enough love. need a hug?

4. To those advising smart, case by case, involved parenting, good on you.

Lestat
06-18-2011, 02:50 PM
2 years old is a little young to be spanking. now once they hit 4-5+ then it's go time on them.

my parents used to use switches,belts,hands. it didn't matter as long as i remembered not to do it again.
now i was 8 or older but it really depends on the parents.
if i have kids i'm gonna do the same(or if i want to have fun, the Bernie Mac torture method)

gunns
06-18-2011, 03:10 PM
1. To those justifying hitting a child by pointing out unrelated laws that are out of whack, this is a pretty mindless argument to make and the reasons are obvious.

2. To those justifying hitting a child by pointing out the number of snot-nosed delinquents in America and implying that they are the result of "liberal minded free spirit parenting," I don't think you really understand that there are alternatives to spanking, time outs, and absolute free reign... there are MANNNNY MANY more methods in between and fear is not the only way to punish bad behavior or reinforce good behavior.

3. To those who think it is "weak" not to spank your kids, or to not want to spank your kids, you're a dying breed of people in this society.. slowly but surely cultural evolution will do away with you as well as other problems that are the result of too much testosterone and not enough love. need a hug?

LOL Then name them. I've got 6 kids, every one of them got a spanking at least once for one reason or another. All are successful and most of all respectful. None of my children have chosen to spank their children. I admire that. But two of them each have a 12 year old and let me tell you, my children never dared talked to me the way they do sometimes. Just because a parent chooses spanking in a certain situation doesn't mean we aren't involved with our children. We may be a dying breed but so is the respect kids should be showing others. I love what Ricardo Montalban said to his kids and it was this way in my house....this isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship". With plenty of love. I'm in charge.

SportinOne
06-18-2011, 03:32 PM
LOL Then name them. I've got 6 kids, every one of them got a spanking at least once for one reason or another. All are successful and most of all respectful. None of my children have chosen to spank their children. I admire that. But two of them each have a 12 year old and let me tell you, my children never dared talked to me the way they do sometimes. Just because a parent chooses spanking in a certain situation doesn't mean we aren't involved with our children. We may be a dying breed but so is the respect kids should be showing others. I love what Ricardo Montalban said to his kids and it was this way in my house....this isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship". With plenty of love. I'm in charge.

The dying breed remark was mostly aimed at those referring to others who didn't believe in spanking as pvssys..

So your argument for spanking is that the children will not talk to you in a way that is to your liking if you don't? And is this a problem because you think they will grow up poorly adjusted or do you just like to feel like you are in a position of authority.. What is the overall goal?

I think the idea that spanking and discipline is important is very much emotion based, as has been hinted at a few times above. For parents, it feels good to get your frustration out on your child's rear when they have nagged at you all day with their whining. And it feels good to have someone listen to you and respect you.. But does that really make it the best way to parent?

ColoradoDarin
06-18-2011, 03:46 PM
We don't spank (or aren't planning on it - our oldest is 2.5), but I don't begrudge anyone who feels it necessary. My son has already gotten plenty of time outs, and our friends can't believe what he gets them for - anything I don't want him to continue doing. Like whining. But you know what, he's a smart boy, a couple of time outs and he doesn't whine. IMO, the key to parenting is consistency - we have a couple that we know where the wife only disciplines 1 out of every 3 or 4 times. Our son isn't going through the terrible twos, but theirs is. When we watch their son, I give him a couple of time outs and he straightens right up.

We took some "Love and Logic" parenting classes last year, and I really recommend them.

broncocalijohn
06-18-2011, 04:46 PM
I used to get the belt from my dad and I probably deserved it everytime. I have spankedmy two kids just this last week but they get it easy than I did. One swat on the butt while they are moving to where there were supposed to go. Once and damn if they don't even give a fake cry. I must not use tennis swing.

Archer81
06-18-2011, 05:17 PM

1. Kids always test boundaries. Thats how they know what a boundary is. If you think you can logically tell a four year old why they shouldnt play in the street or stick things in sockets more power to you.

2. My parents got to the point that spanking didnt get the point across. My father would devise methods of punishment that made me wish for a smack. It would have been over faster. To this day seeing people do pushups makes me queasy.

3. Believe it or not, people who spank their children are not a dying breed. How parents discipline their children is more or less their business. But this brings into focus the question of what is a spanking? Bare hand, one swat? Wooden spoons? Belts? My folks never hit us with belts or spoons or anything like that. It got to the point that if my brothers or I pushed our parents far enough to warrant a beating, it was more embarassing than anything else.

4. Parents know their kids better than anyone else. It should be handled at their discretion, and making a spanking a felony is retarded.

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm not a parent, so take this for what it's worth.

If a parent believes that a spanking is going to teach a child something...then, I think it's a tool in their toolbox so to speak.

However, I don't think any parent should spank a child while they are angry. That can turn quickly into something more than a spanking.

Do yourself a favor and keep it that way. They are expensive little snot nosed creatures that take yrs off your life. Unless you have a family run business just skip the kids.

gunns
06-18-2011, 06:03 PM
The dying breed remark was mostly aimed at those referring to others who didn't believe in spanking as pvssys..

So your argument for spanking is that the children will not talk to you in a way that is to your liking if you don't? And is this a problem because you think they will grow up poorly adjusted or do you just like to feel like you are in a position of authority.. What is the overall goal?

I think the idea that spanking and discipline is important is very much emotion based, as has been hinted at a few times above. For parents, it feels good to get your frustration out on your child's rear when they have nagged at you all day with their whining. And it feels good to have someone listen to you and respect you.. But does that really make it the best way to parent?

I've earned respect and no child of mine is going to speak to me in a disrespectful way. None of my children have ever sworn at me, told me to shut up, or slammed a door in defiance. Therefore none ever got a spanking for that. It's because they respected me. If they disagreed with me, we discussed it. Not a reason for spanking It isn't getting your frustration out, generally that lends itself to abuse. And whining all day is also not a cause for spanking. That's what I thought you were referring to and you did not know what you or us were talking about. Oh, I was definitely in a position of authority and they knew it.

gunns
06-18-2011, 06:07 PM
We don't spank (or aren't planning on it - our oldest is 2.5), but I don't begrudge anyone who feels it necessary. My son has already gotten plenty of time outs, and our friends can't believe what he gets them for - anything I don't want him to continue doing. Like whining. But you know what, he's a smart boy, a couple of time outs and he doesn't whine. IMO, the key to parenting is consistency - we have a couple that we know where the wife only disciplines 1 out of every 3 or 4 times. Our son isn't going through the terrible twos, but theirs is. When we watch their son, I give him a couple of time outs and he straightens right up.

We took some "Love and Logic" parenting classes last year, and I really recommend them.

Bingo on the bolded. That's it exactly. A child will test boundaries regardless and then it's a determination of deserving a spanking or a firm talking to, or as is working for you, a timeout.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-18-2011, 06:44 PM
A foolish judge.

Spank YOUNG. Yes, I believe a great age is 2.

Obedience is not an option.

At two, if they dont listen, you give them timeout, etc. If timeout works.....fine.

But if the child REBELS and flat out will not listen, then you spank, a couple of cracks. Not abusive spanking, but enough to sting very well, and that it makes an impression.

Never out of anger.

I have four children. Spanked the oldest the most, but that was because I didnt know better. At 8, he was never spanked again, probably got 7 or so spankings in that time.

The rest.....no more than twice, and my children are very obedient.

The reason for spanking early is number one to establish your authority and the consequence. Once again, not in anger, but in love. Dad is the authority. You can choose to disobey, but it will be met with consequence.

Once they know consequence, they can be helped to understand grace, which a far more effective teacher.

But without consequence........grace is nothing.

Each of my children received a spank at two or three. After the spanking, a very simple explanation was given. Dad loves you. You have to listen to dad.

Do you understand? *nods*

They are pretty much obedient from there on out, up until 4 or so. After that, they have the ability to reason somewhat.

That is the route taken then. And a spanking at 4 or so will only be done if there is outright disobedience to your face, to mom or dad. I dont mean they did something you told them not to do. Im talking about if they stand in your face and say or shout "NO" to you, that they are not going to listen.

In that instance, spank, not in anger. Give them time after the spank.....say an hour or so. Then go in and discuss in love why they got cracks. Helping them to see that they are loved, but rebelliousness is not ok, nor welcome.

Take a look at the country............I rest my case.

I completely agree. That's about the age we start swatting our kids. At the age of 2 they are old enough to learn right from wrong. They are old enough to learn there are consequences for wrong actions and attitudes.

There are plenty of people that abuse their kids even though they never spank them. They yell and scream and don't teach kids respect for authority.

What a backwards world we live in.

We swat our kids, but we don't yell when we're doing it because we want them to know we demonstrate consequences because we love them. We swat them and then discuss with them afterwards so they understand. Then, after they've apologized we hug them, tell them we love them, and tell them we forgive them.

Jay3
06-18-2011, 06:45 PM
But this brings into focus the question of what is a spanking? Bare hand, one swat? Wooden spoons? Belts? My folks never hit us with belts or spoons or anything like that. It got to the point that if my brothers or I pushed our parents far enough to warrant a beating, it was more embarassing than anything else.

I got the belt, but with my kids a few swats with the hand on the fanny is enough to get them in a sorry state of mind. It's a rare thing -- reserved for when direct challenges to authority are made. It means that 99% of the time, I can do "the look," and they know I mean business. They don't have to wonder "How does this end if I just keep being jackass?" They know; it ends with you crying into a pillow.

Just like with the police and adults -- if you don't go along, it ends one way or another with a face-full of concrete. Same with my kids, only much gentler.

Jay3
06-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Bingo on the bolded. That's it exactly. A child will test boundaries regardless and then it's a determination of deserving a spanking or a firm talking to, or as is working for you, a timeout.

Y'all are right. I'm strong on consistency, and I almost never have to do any punishment. Of course, I think it's because they're good kids. But being consistent works wonders, and it's actually what they are looking for.

The greatest power you have as an adult is the power to escalate. You're like a magic person to them -- you can cut a restaurant visit short. You can make the TV go away. You can do all sorts of things if you want. They eventually get it -- this guy don't play.

After that, you're having to deal with them giving in to temptation and their hyper natures, but not so much on the failure to follow instructions.

Archer81
06-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I got the belt, but with my kids a few swats with the hand on the fanny is enough to get them in a sorry state of mind. It's a rare thing -- reserved for when direct challenges to authority are made. It means that 99% of the time, I can do "the look," and they know I mean business. They don't have to wonder "How does this end if I just keep being jackass?" They know; it ends with you crying into a pillow.

My mom had the look. My dad had the finger. Index finger to the chest. Have to tell you I would rather be beat with a stick then get the finger to the sternum. That **** hurts.

Punisher
06-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Don't spank your kids just cut yourself in front of them and throw the blood on them. My parents did that to me and my brother and we turned out just fine

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Don't spank your kids just cut yourself in front of them and throw the blood on them. My parents did that to me and my brother and we turned out just fine

I was eagerly anticipating reading a post on "spanking" from a poster who calls himself, "Punisher".

I was not disappointed! :giggle:

or was I?

Uhh

Bronco Yoda
06-18-2011, 10:09 PM
The day doesn't really get started until the beatings begin.

worm
06-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Pretty sure our 5 month old is perfect. No way will she ever require a spanking. She smiles ear to ear whenever she see me...must be because I am doing something right as a parent. Let me know if ya'll need some tips. The problem might not be them. :)

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Kids are coddled, cost too much money, spend too much time trying to find a way to make money, are spoiled and don't know what hard work really is. Because all the illegals in calif have taken the food serving jobs, the fast food, the lawn care, the car washes, the gas station, etc etc all that is left is retail and many kids just dont really work. I had a job at a chevron station when i was 15 yrs old. But its not as easy as it used to be for kids. Now its all about education, they do have tons more homework, but I doubt really are much smarter. I'm sure other states its different but we have high teenage unemployment. I also made a ton of money as a kid mowing lawns but now you see grown men doing it. how do kids compete?

Dukes
06-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Kids are coddled, cost too much money, spend too much time trying to find a way to make money, are spoiled and don't know what hard work really is. Because all the illegals in calif have taken the food serving jobs, the fast food, the lawn care, the car washes, the gas station, etc etc all that is left is retail and many kids just dont really work. I had a job at a chevron station when i was 15 yrs old. But its not as easy as it used to be for kids. Now its all about education, they do have tons more homework, but I doubt really are much smarter. I'm sure other states its different but we have high teenage unemployment. I also made a ton of money as a kid mowing lawns but now you see grown men doing it. how do kids compete?

Went to a Wendy's by my house last week and was shocked to see teenagers working, not mexicans.

cutthemdown
06-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Went to a Wendy's by my house last week and was shocked to see teenagers working, not mexicans.

That is awesome we need more incentive for those places to hire legal american teenagers IMO. It could really help out families if the teenagers pulled there weight a little more.

Mogulseeker
06-18-2011, 11:57 PM

I'm sure if you got more homework as a kid, your grammar might be a little more comprehensible.

cutthemdown
06-19-2011, 01:25 AM
I'm sure if you got more homework as a kid, your grammar might be a little more comprehensible.

Really? Just the fact I don't worry about the grammar being spot on you can't comprehend it? I'd say that says more about you. Also it's pretty much a known thing that correcting grammar on the internet is lame. It's all good though I can read music and draft motions really well. You just have to be good at what is important to yourself, not some smurf on the internet. Correct away!

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-19-2011, 05:54 AM

Excellent!

Props to that judge - I hope this sets some sort of precedent.

Spanking = physical abuse.

Meck77
06-19-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm of the opinion that most parents need a good beating for having children they can't take care of, can't afford, and shouldn't of even had in the first place. Meanwhile these same people have more on the way.

chadta
06-19-2011, 06:22 AM
I'm of the opinion that most parents need a good beating for having children they can't take care of, can't afford, and shouldn't of even had in the first place. Meanwhile these same people have more on the way.

isnt there something we can put in the water t make everybody sterile, then after you pass a test and income verification you can get the drugs to have a kid.

NO i dont really want anybody having that much control over anything, but i can see where it would lead to alot less problems.

I was spanked, and i do spank my children BTW, they are 8 and 10, and neither has ever been hit while more then 3 times, I can honestly say i have the best kids in the world, give my wife full credit for that, shes gotten more spankings then the kids, but she liked them.

Pony Boy
06-19-2011, 07:49 AM
No spanking allowed on fathers day unless it's your monkey........

jsco70
06-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Typical Mane...too much black or white, and no gray. There are instances where a spanking is in order, and there are instances where a spanking is not appropriate. I reserve my right to do what I believe is the best approach given the circumstances.

My oldest son's spankings can be counted on one hand. My daughter, I have never needed to spank her...she complies with a harsh word or look. My middle son? He is a hard case and has required numerous spankings and alternative punnishment methods. He has an incredibly strong will so a simple "time out" doesn't cut it.

lostknight
06-19-2011, 09:28 AM
I love it when Non-parents give advice on children to parents. Especially when they speak total generalizations that ignore the fact that kids are incredibly different.

There are definitely times when a swat is necessary. This article made me uneasy for two reasons
1) Long standing welts?
2) A grandmother who clearly has intentions of guardianship.

Discipline for kids is necessary, as unpopular as it has become. Everyone wants to be best friends with their kids, but that's not their role. Their role is to be parents, and guide kids so they are responsible adults. Some times that means a spank or a swat. If and only if the kid is being wilfully disobedient. A spank now is better then a kid ignoring you and running out on the street in front of traffic.

Rausch 2.0
06-19-2011, 10:39 AM

So HER parents weren't criminals but now you are.

Whatever.

I've spanked my daughter twice. TWICE.

When I did I whooped her ****ing ass good.

She has never repeated that type of behavior and I'm not a sadist...

Bronco Yoda
06-19-2011, 12:35 PM
I love it when Non-parents give advice on children to parents. Especially when they speak total generalizations that ignore the fact that kids are incredibly different.

There are definitely times when a swat is necessary. This article made me uneasy for two reasons
1) Long standing welts?

Discipline for kids is necessary, as unpopular as it has become. Everyone wants to be best friends with their kids, but that's not their role. Their role is to be parents, and guide kids so they are responsible adults. Some times that means a spank or a swat. If and only if the kid is being wilfully disobedient. A spank now is better then a kid ignoring you and running out on the street in front of traffic.

Only a parent could really get this.

Bronco Yoda
06-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Typical Mane...too much black or white, and no gray. There are instances where a spanking is in order, and there are instances where a spanking is not appropriate. I reserve my right to do what I believe is the best approach given the circumstances.

My oldest son's spankings can be counted on one hand. My daughter, I have never needed to spank her...she complies with a harsh word or look. My middle son? He is a hard case and has required numerous spankings and alternative punnishment methods. He has an incredibly strong will so a simple "time out" doesn't cut it.

Yup.

tnedator
06-19-2011, 12:39 PM

Ok, a lot depends on how hard she was spanking the kid. Based on this part of the article, the Judge is off his ****ing rocker.

FireFly
06-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I remember being 4 years old, I let myself out the front door and was playing on the street -fairly busy road. My mother caught me and told me that I wasn't allowed to.

I did it again a couple of days later. I was spanked. Guess what, I didn't play on the road again and still to the day haven't been hit by a car! Thanks Mom!

alkemical
06-19-2011, 06:57 PM
some of you need to beat your kids more.

Dukes
06-19-2011, 09:03 PM

1) Long standing welts?

You mean like this Mom of the year candidate?
http://www.9news.com/rss/story.aspx?storyid=203818

bowtown
06-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Nothing works better than a good hard shake.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-20-2011, 06:09 AM
I remember being 4 years old, I let myself out the front door and was playing on the street -fairly busy road. My mother caught me and told me that I wasn't allowed to.

I did it again a couple of days later. I was spanked. Guess what, I didn't play on the road again and still to the day haven't been hit by a car! Thanks Mom!

Cool story, but are we really supposed to believe that these two extremes, i.e., an ineffectual speech vs. hitting a child, are our only options?

You're better than that! :D

alkemical
06-20-2011, 06:22 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyoOdr114v5WX4gJAGF3NUbVkfPAs3H uvRxYVi-Zt5aeTjSYdD

If those little bastards still don't listen, may I suggest this fine product?

Requiem
06-20-2011, 06:26 AM
Remember getting spanked once big time, and that set me straight.

Other than that, my grandma tackled me like Ray Lewis trying to get me to stop playing Explicit Lyrics CD's and my mom kung-fu'd my bedroom door down when I was 16 because I called her the "B" word.

I was actually scared crapless, and I never back-talked my mom -- EVER again.

Not a huge proponent of spanking or verbal abuse to get children in-line. Plenty of other good methods to demonstrate right from wrong.

We've moved passed Neanderthals.

Dukes
06-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Remember getting spanked once big time, and that set me straight.

Other than that, my grandma tackled me like Ray Lewis trying to get me to stop playing Explicit Lyrics CD's and my mom kung-fu'd my bedroom door down when I was 16 because I called her the "B" word.

My parents just took the door off the hinges. Nothing worse than being a teenager with absolutely no privacy at home

Requiem
06-20-2011, 08:42 AM
That works too. Getting my N64 collection thrown in the trash was an attitude turn arounder as well.

RhymesayersDU
06-20-2011, 08:48 AM
That works too. Getting my N64 collection thrown in the trash was an attitude turn arounder as well.

Hah, mine was thrown into the backyard once from the house, in the rain no less. Cool thing about those days? Still worked afterward. Nintendo products were built to last back then.

Requiem
06-20-2011, 09:05 AM
Lol, wow. Awesome. My mom always knrw me so well that she just took away what I enjoyed to make a point. :)

Mountain Bronco
06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
This. I have a two year old and wouldn't consider spanking him, because it would not accomplish anything except getting out my own frustration. Kids that young have no idea why they're being spanked. They can barely form their own coherent thoughts at that age.

I am not a fan of spanking, but could see the use when a child purposely does something that they know is wrong. I'm not sure what this kid did to "deserve" a spanking, but at two years old, I'm pretty sure that child hadn't had a chance to form their ideas of what right and wrong are. She probably didn't even know her colors yet.

I agree with this post. Spanking a two year old is a waste of time. Is it criminal though? Probably not, but the parent is stupid.

Now an older child, yes a spanking could be a good tool for discipline, but it all depends on the child.

cutthemdown
06-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Nothing works better than a good hard shake.

And if that doesn't work a piping hot bath!

FantomForce
06-20-2011, 10:27 AM
I have spanked my 2 year old. But as many have pointed out it was a last resort get her attention, don't run around the parking lot with cars all over the place. I think the best way is make sure and talk with them, calm them down and do your best to keep your patience, for hells sake you are the adult in the situation

bronco militia
06-20-2011, 12:22 PM
can you spank kids if they been dropped on their heads?

alkemical
06-20-2011, 12:28 PM
can you spank kids if they been dropped on their heads?

Wrap 'em in bubble wrap first.

Broncos_OTM
06-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I was dating a girl for a while ... she finally had her kid around. the 3 y o through toilet paper in my fish tank. when the mom found out she smacked her kid right in the face pretty hard.. needless to say they both left that day to never return...

bowtown
06-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I was dating a girl for a while ... she finally had her kid around. the 3 y o through toilet paper in my fish tank. when the mom found out she smacked her kid right in the face pretty hard.. needless to say they both left that day to never return...

Are they sleeping with the fishes?

Beantown Bronco
06-20-2011, 02:00 PM
OK, your Honor. I won't spank my children today (mostly because I'll be working late tonight and won't get home until after bedtime).

No promises about tomorrow though.

jhns
06-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't spank my kids because i don't have kids. I will punch kids that are acting up in public though. This is easy to pull off since most parents aren't paying attention to their kids anyways. I try to only hit kids that aren't old enough to talk very well. There are two pluses to this. One, they can't tell anyone. Two, the parents just think they are hungry or tired when they start randomly crying at this age.