PDA

View Full Version : Tebow/Orton Comparison Article

zdoor
06-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Nice Tebow/Orton comparison article at the Fat Man.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/why-tim-tebow-is-the-answer-at-qb

TheReverend
06-17-2011, 01:10 PM
I like that site but they're on a streak of articles I've found to be poor and faulty.

Just my opinion, though.

jhns
06-17-2011, 01:12 PM
While I agree that Tebow should be starting, that article is trash. It is a Gator fan that wouldn't care if Elway was still starting. He would still say Tebow should start because he is a Tebow fan. His conclusions don't make much sense. He has known that Tebow would be a great NFL QB based only on college production? That is the thought process of someone that hasn't watched much football. There are lots of guys that looked great in college but failed in the NFL. It is a completely different game. His analysis of limitations and what pro QBs need to succeed also don't make much sense. I can give countless examples that completely contradict most of his conclusions in that area.

Tebow should be starting because he outplayed his competition by a lot during an NFL season. Orton led this team to about 20th in scoring. If we had the Tebow led Broncos scoring average over the full season, we would have been seventh in the league in scoring. The Tebow led Broncos faced two teams that the Orton led Broncos played and they did a LOT better with Tebow in. I don't know if Tebow is the future. I do think he has earned the starting job over Orton. Even if you don't think three games worth of stats mean anything, why wouldn't you at least give him the chance to see if he can continue outplaying Orton?

Agamemnon
06-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Totally agree with pretty much everything he said aside from Tebow's limitations. I think Tebow's deep out velocity is fine. His problems crop up more in reading coverages and completing timing routes, both of which should improve drastically with more experience.

zdoor
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
I like that site but they're on a streak of articles I've found to be poor and faulty.

Just my opinion, though.

It depends on which author writes the article. I think they have 4 or 5 guy's who rotate and a couple of them are mediocre... I checked some of their draft stuff during the draft, (they had a live gig going as the draft was happening), and a couple of the guy's contributing really did not know their stuff beyond the high profile players.... Still like some of their stuff though....

Shananahan
06-17-2011, 02:37 PM

Just my opinion, though.
Yes. I've found a lot of the articles there to be head and shoulders above the majority of other journalism about the team. They have some good writers, cover some topics which often are neglected and respond to comments.

This wasn't one of those articles. If you want to be taken for serious journalism you don't let an unabashedly biased fan write an article on a player like Tebow, especially when said article really doesn't cover any new ground.

db56
06-17-2011, 08:13 PM
good article.

Boomhauer
06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
On a sliding scale of athleticism vs awareness; Broncos have Tebow->Quinn->Orton. Never made sense for Orton/Tebow to go #1/#2 because how different they are as QBs, requiring two completely unique offenses.

Hamrob
06-18-2011, 09:42 AM
I think Tebow can sling it. That's not his problem. These are his main problems:

1. Timing on his throws
2. Accuracy of his throws
3. His slow winding release

He needs to improve the above. Can he? We'll see (eventually).

I hope we find out sooner rather than later. I say start him. He's had 6mos. to work on these things, plus, he's been through an NFL season now. We should see improvement in these areas, or, it just may never happen for him.

jutang
06-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I usually like the fat man articles, but that one felt very homerish to me with very little insight other than " I watch alot of Florida games and tebow will be amazing."