PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Resistance from owners mounts

Taco John
06-17-2011, 12:46 PM
An internal battle is percolating at some of the highest NFL circles in which some owners are resisting the labor deal they've been trying to negotiate with the players, according to multiple sources.

A handful of NFL owners -- at least two of whom are from AFC teams -- believes the parameters of the deal being discussed don't adequately address the original issues the league wanted corrected from the 2006 collective bargaining agreement, according to sources.

It is one of the primary reasons team officials are being prepped to stay an extra night in Chicago at Tuesday's owners' meetings. It's not to potentially vote on a new collective bargaining agreement, as many suspected; it actually is to try to fend off some of the resistance that is mounting, according to sources.

More at the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6671873

bowtown
06-17-2011, 12:49 PM
Read: Boweln forgot to take his meds and showed up ranting in his boxers again this morning and Al Davis thought he was negotiating Treaty of Versailles.

TheReverend
06-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Read: Boweln forgot to take his meds and showed up ranting in his boxers again this morning and Al Davis thought he was negotiating Treaty of Versailles.

Damn near perfect. Only missing a Joe Ellis/Rasputin reference.

schaaf
06-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I doubt it will be enough to stop the supposed new deal

Chris
06-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Damn near perfect. Only missing a Joe Ellis/Rasputin reference.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a7H0TaNC_j4/R0fTHGDvfVI/AAAAAAAAAYE/b3jLvH2RQSc/s320/kiss.jpg

TheReverend
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a7H0TaNC_j4/R0fTHGDvfVI/AAAAAAAAAYE/b3jLvH2RQSc/s320/kiss.jpg

Is that supposed to be Bowlen/Ellis or me and bowtown?

broncocalijohn
06-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I doubt it will be enough to stop the supposed new deal

Is it majority vote? If so, you might be correct but we are all taking media accounts of the "two weeks to football" talk. When I hear more officials talking about progress, then I will believe it.

schaaf
06-17-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah it is a majority vote from the owners on a new deal it has to be approved by 24/32 owners

You're right we dont know **** besides the fact that they must be getting close but who knows how long it will take to fully finalize it

Chris
06-17-2011, 01:36 PM

...........both....... plus rasputin and nicholas

bowtown
06-17-2011, 01:37 PM

It's Smithers and Mr. Burns.

Chris
06-17-2011, 01:41 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/MarieAlice/Tuesdays%20WithDorie/TWD4-3.jpg

TheReverend
06-17-2011, 01:41 PM

Quite frankly that makes more sense than the other options.

Archer81
06-17-2011, 01:43 PM
Weaver/Davis trying to ruin the entire summer...

Boo them.

:Broncos:

Agamemnon
06-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Seeing as all it takes is a majority vote, they just need to shut the **** up so we can see some football this year.

elsid13
06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Weaver/Davis trying to ruin the entire summer...

Boo them.

:Broncos:

If it was just two it wouldn't be a problem, I bet you there are more out there then are refusing to deal, just their names haven't been linked. And as I said before on the other thread, some owner is going to **** this agreement up.

Houshyamama
06-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Read: Boweln forgot to take his meds and showed up ranting in his boxers again this morning and Al Davis thought he was negotiating Treaty of Paris.

FTFY

bronco militia
06-17-2011, 01:54 PM
hopeully these owners stick to their guns and get it right. I don't want another repeat of this in 4-5 years

broncocalijohn
06-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Yeah it is a majority vote from the owners on a new deal it has to be approved by 24/32 owners

You're right we dont know **** besides the fact that they must be getting close but who knows how long it will take to fully finalize it

That is not a "majority" vote, that is a massive majority vote. Majority, that I was speaking of, means 50% plus 1. THis is 75% to pass.

Seeing as all it takes is a majority vote, they just need to shut the **** up so we can see some football this year.

Why they are getting scared. 9 owners back out, it is status quo.

Agamemnon
06-17-2011, 02:01 PM
hopeully these owners stick to their guns and get it right. I don't want another repeat of this in 4-5 years

Hopefully they stop being so bloody greedy and realize that the players probably do deserve the lion's share of the profits seeing as they're the ones on the field making the plays, taking the risks, and suffering the long term effects of injuries.

Oh who am I kidding...

bronco militia
06-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Hopefully they stop being so bloody greedy and realize that the players probably do deserve the lion's share of the profits seeing as they're the ones on the field making the plays, taking the risks, and suffering the long term effects of injuries.

Oh who am I kidding...

no one forces these guys to play football.

Drunk Monkey
06-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Oh who am I kidding...

.......joking right.....

schaaf
06-17-2011, 02:25 PM
That is not a "majority" vote, that is a massive majority vote. Majority, that I was speaking of, means 50% plus 1. THis is 75% to pass.

Well last time I heard it was only two owners that were disgruntled about it

Kaylore
06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
They need 9 votes to stop an approval. Ralph Wilson was the only one who voted no on the last agreement, so my vote is he is one of the two AFC owners.

This might be a good sign, actually. If a handful are upset, that means there is compromise but not so much it isn't progressing. Somebody will always believe they could have had more. There will be some players pissed too after this is done, but if there is majority consensus with both sides making concessions then that is a good thing.

Kaylore
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM

Exactly. It depends on what a "Handful" of owners means. If it's 3-5, then they're fine. If it's 7-9, there may be some issues.

NFLBRONCO
06-17-2011, 02:46 PM

Oh who am I kidding...

While I agree to a point I also want my owner to make alot of money to keep us a good/great franchise to have a quality league up and down. Don't want NFL to become like NBA and only 5-8 teams are the only ones that win rings.

DomCasual
06-17-2011, 03:26 PM
They need 9 votes to stop an approval. Ralph Wilson was the only one who voted no on the last agreement, so my vote is he is one of the two AFC owners.

This might be a good sign, actually. If a handful are upset, that means there is compromise but not so much it isn't progressing. Somebody will always believe they could have had more. There will be some players pissed too after this is done, but if there is majority consensus with both sides making concessions then that is a good thing.

I'm pretty sure Mike Brown voted against it, too. That would be your second one.

ghwk
06-17-2011, 10:23 PM

Yes rep from me as well. You just missed adding a bottle of scotch to Bowlen's rant.

ghwk
06-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Well last time I heard it was only two owners that were disgruntled about it

But doesn't Jerry Jones count as 9 owners?

schaaf
06-17-2011, 10:28 PM
But doesn't Jerry Jones count as 9 owners?

Apparently someone told him he counts as only one owner and he threatened to put a new "bigger" tv screen in the stadium

Pendejo
06-17-2011, 10:59 PM
no one forces these guys to play football.

No one forces these guys to own teams either. If they (the small group who want things stopped) don't like the terms they can always sell their franchises...make a ton of money on the deal, AND fall back on that valuable college education to scrimp by.

BroncoMan4ever
06-17-2011, 11:35 PM
betting it was the Bills and Jags owners.