PDA

View Full Version : Quarterback Danny Wuerffel diagnosed with a condition that can cause paralysis

Crushaholic
06-16-2011, 01:32 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/nfl-quarterback-danny-wuerffel-diagnosed-guillain-barr-syndrome/story?id=13855870

Former quarterback Danny Wuerffel has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome, a rare autoimmune disorder that causes paralysis. Wuerffel, who lives in Decatur, Ga., noticed he was losing sensation in his legs and strength in his arms shortly after he battled a stomach virus June 4. It's thought that his immune system started to attack the nerves that control movement and sensation, mistaking them for the virus.

Wuerffel's strength is currently half of what it was, according to his wife, Jessica.

Guillain-Barré syndrome affects about one in 100,000 people

Kaylore
06-16-2011, 01:41 PM
That's too bad. Prayers with him and his family.

Chris
06-16-2011, 01:50 PM
If there's any type of person that can beat this, it's an athlete.

jebures
06-16-2011, 02:03 PM
people do recover from this, it gets pretty bad toward its peak. It is weakness that starts distally and progresses upward. If he can avoid the respiratory issues that come with it he could end up living a full life, granted in a much different way. Strength does return but not to its full level.

uk bronco
06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
a soccer player morten wieghorst had this while playing for celtic. seem to remember it being a prion disease like mad cow disease or CJD but linked to improperly defrosted chicken. he was out or a year but came back and moved on to brondby where he won danish player of the year

Dr. Broncenstein
06-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Guillain-Barre syndrome is pretty scary stuff. People can recover, but in the severe cases it takes a huge amount of resources. Some people are completely paralyzed for months... and paralyzed to the point of requiring ventilatory support. This comes with serious problems... especially pneumonia, pulmonary embolism, pressure ulcers, urinary tract infections, etc.

oubronco
06-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Prayers be with him

garandman
06-16-2011, 05:47 PM
I speak from experience, I suffered from guile-barre syndrome 5 years ago. The are some that have it progress to a point of having to breath thru a ventilator, like Wuerffel I lost the use of everything except that.. weird feeling..

I was diagnosed quickly and with treatment regained use of everything within 2 months but was very weak.. I was weightlifter before and after 3 months post diagnosis I started training again, I could barely bench press the bar (45 lbs), but a year later I was lifting heavy again just like before, 350 lbs max, 5 years later no I'll effects.

Most likely he will be fine but will have some serious rehab..

broncosteven
06-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Doesn't William "The Fridge" Perry have the same thing?

My friends daughter had this and she was very sick for about a year, she got good treatment and recovered but it took her another couple months after that to be able to walk.

I never heard of this disease until my friends daughter got it and now this is the 3rd.

I wish him the best, it totally sucks when you lose your health, he sounded like a grounded guy who should have a good support group family and friend wise.

SoCalBronco
06-16-2011, 10:05 PM
That really sucks because Danny Wuerffel is one of the best human beings to ever step foot on a football field. I hope he recovers fully as soon as possible.