PDA

View Full Version : most overhyped draft pick in OM history?

tsiguy96
06-16-2011, 07:46 AM
who was it? (i am talking PRE nfl draft, not hyped AFTER we drafted them)

whether we took the guy or not, but the guy that EVERYONE wanted because he was a cant miss, will make this team a contender type of player.

i have to go with rey maualuga. everyone including me wanted this guy and he has been nothing short of disappointing.

Gcver2ver3
06-16-2011, 07:58 AM
n b 4 "ed reed"...

ol#7
06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Well I cant speak for this board since I wasnt a member yet, but over at ESPN, all you heard was Mathias Kiwanuka talk that year. I swear you would think he was the only player in the draft on 06'

tsiguy96
06-16-2011, 08:03 AM
n b 4 "ed reed"...

i was wondering how long that would take

bowtown
06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_smGr7XGwDDs/TTzOih87UGI/AAAAAAAAADo/689ZT6MQwc4/s1600/jay-cutler-sack.jpg

tsiguy96
06-16-2011, 08:12 AM
bowtown, did anyone really hype up cutler pre-draft on this forum?

HooptyHoops
06-16-2011, 08:16 AM
J Moss for the speed rusher in the awesome Bates system!!

DivineLegion
06-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Deviating from the collective outlook, and focusing more introspectively, I had a thing for Ezra Butler when he was coming out of Nevada. Needless to say that failed.

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2011, 08:22 AM

i tend to remember it being not so much hype, but the talk of hypothetical. if we were to draft a QB in the 1st round i hope it's Cutler

Patrick Peterson in my eyes had more hype than any other draft prospect ever on the Mane

Requiem
06-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Darius Watts is up there.

Or anyone that Shanahan referred to in the manner, "anytime you can find or draft a guy with that speed and athleticism, you know you got a special player."

Like Triandos Luke.

bowtown
06-16-2011, 08:54 AM

No, not really, but I find it very difficult to pass up any opportunity to post pics of beetus getting sacked.

tsiguy96
06-16-2011, 08:55 AM
i tend to remember it being not so much hype, but the talk of hypothetical. if we were to draft a QB in the 1st round i hope it's Cutler

Patrick Peterson in my eyes had more hype than any other draft prospect ever on the Mane

oh yea, damn good candidate. he was THE savior to many, regardless that he plays a position taht weve have had on lockdown for 7 years and still have a ****ty defense.

bowtown
06-16-2011, 08:56 AM
oh yea, damn good candidate. he was THE savior to many, regardless that he plays a position taht weve have had on lockdown for 7 years and still have a ****ty defense.

Not really sure how you can call him overhyped though. If he goes on to be a hall of fame shutdown CB, then I'd say all the hype was totally justified.

Man-Goblin
06-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Vernon Davis. LaRon Landry.

TheReverend
06-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Vernon Davis, Gaines Adams, etc are all up there but nothing will top the 06 hype surrounding none other than:

Broderick Bunkley

Good lord it was like 90% of the OM was his family.

TheReverend
06-16-2011, 09:05 AM
who was it? (i am talking PRE nfl draft, not hyped AFTER we drafted them)

whether we took the guy or not, but the guy that EVERYONE wanted because he was a cant miss, will make this team a contender type of player.

i have to go with rey maualuga. everyone including me wanted this guy and he has been nothing short of disappointing.

Do you watch football?

tsiguy96
06-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Do you watch football?

nope, not at all.

his defensive coordinator does though

He sure has to play a hell of a lot better than he did this year because he was extremely average, Zimmer told Bengals.com recently. Hes undisciplined.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Zimmer-seeks-run-discipline-as-draft-waits-/22142295-711d-4dbc-ba90-454629ce8776

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Not really sure how you can call him overhyped though. If he goes on to be a hall of fame shutdown CB, then I'd say all the hype was totally justified.

the OP never said anything about justified hype, just who was the most overhyped. and Peterson regardless of what he ends up doing in his career, is easily one of the most overhyped draft prospects i have ever seen

Kaylore
06-16-2011, 09:29 AM

I (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=79797)
told (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2383561&postcount=39)
you. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77453&highlight=Maualuga&page=2)

That last link has a particularly funny exchange.

Put me down for Vernon Davis. That dude was the savior to half the board.

Kaylore
06-16-2011, 09:30 AM
Do you watch football?

I do and he sucks. He's fragile, slow and makes poor reads.

bowtown
06-16-2011, 09:35 AM
the OP never said anything about justified hype, just who was the most overhyped. and Peterson regardless of what he ends up doing in his career, is easily one of the most overhyped draft prospects i have ever seen

Ummm... please tell me what the differnce is between the two. If a player is extremely hyped, but it is justified, then it's not overhype. If he does not live up to it, then he is. You do see how one begets the other, right?

That One Guy
06-16-2011, 09:40 AM
I (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=79797)
told (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2383561&postcount=39)
you. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=77453&highlight=Maualuga&page=2)

That last link has a particularly funny exchange.

Put me down for Vernon Davis. That dude was the savior to half the board.

Vernon Davis was my first thought as well.

Jamal Anderson (the DE) got a lot of love.

Any of the recent DTs (Ellis, Raji, etc)

OVERhyped... that'd have to be that 350 lb monster that made it 12 minutes in Saints camp

I can't recall the name right this second but the WR that everyone thought we were going to take at like... 15 but NE took early in the 2nd and then we signed here in the last few years.

hmm... so much love, so many failures in O'mane history

tsiguy96
06-16-2011, 09:42 AM

OVERhyped... that'd have to be that 350 lb monster that made it 12 minutes in Saints camp

I can't recall the name right this second but the WR that everyone thought we were going to take at like... 15 but NE took early in the 2nd and then we signed here in the last few years.

chad jackson i presume.
raji was hyped but he has been pretty damn good.

That One Guy
06-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Ummm... please tell me what the differnce is between the two. If a player is extremely hyped, but it is justified, then it's not overhype. If he does not live up to it, then he is. You do see how one begets the other, right?

If you grant that every prospect is merely a prospect, they can definitely be overhyped - even if they go on to be HOF'ers. They're still unproven prospects at this point. That doesn't temper the love they get though.

That One Guy
06-16-2011, 09:43 AM
chad jackson i presume.
raji was hyped but he has been pretty damn good.

That's the one, thanks. I knew it was Chad something.

crowebomber
06-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Vernon Davis, Gaines Adams, etc are all up there but nothing will top the 06 hype surrounding none other than:

Broderick Bunkley

That's what I was going to say too. Bunkley was a beast physically and I was so positive he would be a star.

bowtown
06-16-2011, 09:53 AM
That's the one, thanks. I knew it was Chad something.

Yeah, I'd add Maroney to that as well. I thought both those guys were going to end up making the Pats unbeatable.

Gcver2ver3
06-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Broderick Bunkley

good call...

i was all over the bunkley train...

Gcver2ver3
06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
i was wondering how long that would take

yea i hoped if i beat everyone to it, the thread wouldnt be derailed with not funny ed reed gestures...

you know, since i posted a not funny ed reed gesture...

enjolras
06-16-2011, 10:34 AM
My personal one: Kenoy Kennedy's brother. I really thought he was going to be a late round steal.

My bad.

NFLBRONCO
06-16-2011, 10:43 AM

I'd say Vernon Davis

That One Guy
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM
The part that makes the overhyping the most fun for me is the Mane users who take that passion overboard. I was thinking about this thread and Vince Young jumped out at me but it seems a huge part of the VY hype was a single user - I want to say Alec maybe? Those people who become so vested in the player's hype that if you even suggest anything bad about them, they froth at the mouth while wishing slow and painful death upon you.

I'd say Rev and Footsteps with Peterson would be this year's version. There's been even more passionate over time. It all gets capped out to be wonderful and amazing then if the player kinda flops.

TailgateNut
06-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Tebow!

Ducks for cover.

oubronco
06-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Patrick Peterson

underrated29
06-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Partick Peterson Hands down.

TheReverend
06-16-2011, 11:15 AM
nope, not at all.

his defensive coordinator does though

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Zimmer-seeks-run-discipline-as-draft-waits-/22142295-711d-4dbc-ba90-454629ce8776

Sweet, so "this year" = career to date?

TheReverend
06-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I do and he sucks. He's fragile, slow and makes poor reads.

That's absurd in all 3 conclusions.

oubronco
06-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Aaron Curry was pimped pretty good around here

Rabb
06-16-2011, 11:23 AM
It's Peterson or Dareus

no matter what side you were on, that camp was absolutely convinced that their guy was the savior

Kaylore
06-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Rey, Patrick Peterson and Tebow all on this list. TheRev is not amused

TheReverend
06-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Rey, Patrick Peterson and Tebow all on this list. TheRev is not amused

Lol

I would view pre-draft Tebow opinion as "anti-hype", really.

I still expect Peterson to be the best player out of this draft (AZ's DC has already publicly declared the first play call will be a blitz lol), but I'm really hoping Von ends up better.

And Rey's been great. Was a key piece to Cinci's D dragging that team to the playoffs as a rookie, has been groomed to be the center piece of their defense (which he will be this year as their new Mike), and last year alone equalled the INT total of DJ Williams' career... just sayin

Oh and his production even as a rookie at Sam was better than DJ on the strong side

...not that I'm counting.

Drek
06-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Aaron Curry was pimped pretty good around here
Injuries have been his biggest problem though. Can't hold getting hurt against someone.

cmhargrove
06-16-2011, 11:56 AM
The year before Taylor Mays came out, he was pretty hyped around here. We were starting to talk about mortgaging our draft for him.

Another one before his final year - "Mount Cody." We were sure he would end up being the biggest, most dominant NT in the league. He still might end up good (especially on his given team), but certainly not what we expected.

Another one that this year got the hype train - Andrew Luck. It will be interesting to see if he should have come out this year while he could have easily been the #1 pick. If Stanford takes a slide without Harbaugh, he just cost himself millions. I still think he could be a fine QB, but there's no guarantee he will be anything special in the NFL. Superhype!

Quoydogs
06-16-2011, 12:08 PM

I have to agree with this one.

underrated29
06-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Another one that this year got the hype train - Andrew Luck. It will be interesting to see if he should have come out this year while he could have easily been the #1 pick. If Stanford takes a slide without Harbaugh, he just cost himself millions. I still think he could be a fine QB, but there's no guarantee he will be anything special in the NFL. Superhype!

\

Oooh that s a good one there with Luck...I refuse to watch any of his play until next year. I want to see how good he really is. And he is getting super hyped...I remain skeptical but alas I have yet to see him throw a football so I shall reserve judgment until next year.

Chris
06-16-2011, 12:37 PM

Chad Jackson? Think the Pats took him at the end of round 1.

bowtown
06-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Chad Jackson? Think the Pats took him at the end of round 1.

They traded with Green Bay to move up right in front of us in the 2nd, basically forcing our hand on the Walker trade.

broncocalijohn
06-16-2011, 12:46 PM

He hasn't played a down yet so I am not sure how he can be overhyped. Plus, many here didnt want to go CB but front 7. I think all agree he will be a great player but the overhype for Denver fans didn't materialize. I know Rev was a big homer for him but I dont think he went Garcia Bronco :garcia: when we skipped him for Von Miller.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-16-2011, 12:50 PM
They traded with Green Bay to move up right in front of us in the 2nd, basically forcing our hand on the Walker trade.

Shanahan has said since that he would have used that pick on Hester, didnt he?

bowtown
06-16-2011, 12:54 PM

No, he was going to use our late 2nd on Hester, but Hester got taken like 2 spots ahead, so we drafted Scheffler. If they hadn't been able to work the Walker trade, it was specualted that they were going to take Jackson, which is why Green Bay swung the trade with NE to take that option away.

TheReverend
06-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Hester or Jennings. Can't remember which one.

Cito Pelon
06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Shonn Greene.

CEH
06-16-2011, 01:13 PM

I was only lurking in '06 but in the archives over at KFFL is the '06 draft contest where I had Denver selecting Cutler and I even nailed the trade up to #11. I knew at around #8 Denver wanted a QB. Wasn't exactly sure if it was Lienart or Culter till the night before the draft. Then I had the Walker trade in the 2nd and had Hester at #61. Hester went 4 slots earlier at #57

underrated29
06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Hester or Jennings. Can't remember which one.

Actually I think it was both. I am not sure if they were the same draft or not, but from what I remember we wanted hester and the bears took him. Then we wanted Jennings and the pack took him 2 picks before us.

bowtown
06-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Shonn Greene.

Remember the hard on Lex had for Mendenhal?

CEH
06-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Actually I think it was both. I am not sure if they were the same draft or not, but from what I remember we wanted hester and the bears took him. Then we wanted Jennings and the pack took him 2 picks before us.

Jennings would have been the pick at #37

55CrushEm
06-16-2011, 02:31 PM

Oh yeah.....he totally did!

Broncoman13
06-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Any top rated TE during the 2002-2007 years. Vernon Davis got a lot of love as well.

DBroncos4life
06-16-2011, 03:21 PM
Rashaun Woods, Mike Hass, and Claude Wroten

DBroncos4life
06-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Jerome McDougle

Hogan11
06-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Easy..........George "Maple" Foster 2003. This board was all over him like Tebow.

The guy was and remains, a total slug.

24champ
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM

You mean the running back that just had 4 touchdowns in the playoffs and 1200 yards rushing and 13 TD season?

lookin' glass
06-16-2011, 03:47 PM

Walter Thomas was the 350lb DT that could backflip.

Ratboy
06-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Steven Jackson was pretty big around these parts, I remember a lot of people going ape **** when we selected DJ.

(Although Jackson is pretty good)

Hercules Rockefeller
06-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Jennings would have been the pick at #37

It was both.

When Hester was doing so great his rookie year, he would have been the pick if they had stayed at #37. Recently it shifted to Jennings was the guy they wanted.

Chris
06-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Remember the hard on Lex had for Lex?

cutthemdown
06-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Patrick Willis was pretty popular around here. For good reason to the guy is a stud.

Ugly Duck
06-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Tebow. Some pundits had him going as high as the 4th round! Now THAT is overhype....

http://www.tremendousupsidepotential.com/img/tebow.jpg

gunns
06-16-2011, 04:37 PM

This is who I was going to say. Everyone kept talking about him as our only choice in the 1st. I was just really blah about him and I love defensive players. I guess I was right about that one.

And I was right about Ed Reed, so there.

Play2win
06-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Lionheart.

gunns
06-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Reggie Bush. I couldn't believe the hype over him.

cutthemdown
06-16-2011, 06:01 PM
This is who I was going to say. Everyone kept talking about him as our only choice in the 1st. I was just really blah about him and I love defensive players. I guess I was right about that one.

Thats why I am worried about Moore. Him and Moss are the only 2 players I predicted Broncos would draft before the thing went down. I thought Moss would get sacks so what do I know. I did love Ed Reed though and also wanted Steven Jackson. Whatever though here to hoping all the draft picks play well and we can start winning again. This losing BS is getting old fast.

broncolife
06-16-2011, 06:39 PM

For some reason Urlacher is popping in my head for you?

Tim
06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
marcell dareus

WABronco
06-16-2011, 07:22 PM
Injuries have been his biggest problem though. Can't hold getting hurt against someone.

He's been mediocre, regardless of injury.

broncosteven
06-16-2011, 09:41 PM

I don't remember a lot of Cutler talk that draft, I think we all wanted DL but I remember quite a bit of Leinart love.

I don't remember a lot of pre-draft hype for a pick as everyone has their guy and there are so many players out there to chose from.

If I had to pick one player that got a lot of hype from one dude I would go with HIXON. He was going to be the answer to our prayers.

montrose
06-16-2011, 10:15 PM
A lot of good ones: B.Bunkley, T.Mays, C.Jackson, L.Maroney and pretty much any DT projected in the 1st rd. But to me, none could surpass V.Davis. That hype train was unstoppable, lol.

Garcia Bronco
06-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Andre Carter and Adam Archuleta bitches.

24champ
06-17-2011, 12:03 AM
If I had to pick one player that got a lot of hype from one dude I would go with HIXON. He was going to be the answer to our prayers.

If we're picking players that were hyped after drafting them, I would go with Ryan "Choo Choo" Torain. ;D

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/fantasy/10/31/rookies/ryan-torain.jpg

epicSocialism4tw
06-17-2011, 12:37 AM
Patrick Peterson and Andrew Luck.

There really is no competition. There were posters who promoted them assiduously around the board and posted about them in completely unrelated threads.

What should the Broncos do about the gaping holes in the front 7? Patrick Luck.

NBA MVP? Patrick Luck.

Whats for dinner? Patrick Luck is the greatest player of all time in any sport.

Has the NHL become irrelevant? Patrick Luck is superhuman.

Barack Obama is a dadgum moron? Patrick Luck is the strongest, fastest human in the history of the world.

Anthony Weiner's weiner pictures? Patrick Luck is a wall of unstoppable fury.

Did we mention that Patrick Luck sprung directly from the loins of Zeus?

ZONA
06-17-2011, 02:12 AM
Reggie Bush

CEH
06-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Steven Jackson was pretty big around these parts, I remember a lot of people going ape **** when we selected DJ.

(Although Jackson is pretty good)

I really wanted Jackson (ended up with Taco Bell ) and he's a man child. DJ is pretty good but Jackson is right up there as the best all round RB in the NFL since he came into the league.

Cito Pelon
06-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Actually, I think Chad Jackson went to NE with Denver's 2nd rounder which was traded to Green Bay for Javon.

Here's a site that tracks trades in the draft - http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/drafttracker.php?o=by_year&DraftYear=2006&DraftRound=2

Pretty interesting to see who ended up with what after all the trades.

Cito Pelon
06-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Lendale White.

bowtown
06-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Actually, I think Chad Jackson went to NE with Denver's 2nd rounder which was traded to Green Bay for Javon.

Here's a site that tracks trades in the draft - http://www.fftoday.com/nfl/drafttracker.php?o=by_year&DraftYear=2006&DraftRound=2

Pretty interesting to see who ended up with what after all the trades.

No, our pick was 37. Green Bay traded 36 to the Pats. Then we traded 37 to Green Bay for Walker. Green Bay then turned around and traded that pick to Atlanta. They were very busy that day.

bronco militia
06-17-2011, 11:06 AM
every draft pick after the 4th round

Smiling Assassin27
06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
I don't remember a lot of Cutler talk that draft, I think we all wanted DL but I remember quite a bit of Leinart love.

I don't remember a lot of pre-draft hype for a pick as everyone has their guy and there are so many players out there to chose from.

In that same vain, i went with Kevin Kasper. My other choice would be ANY WR from Florida--mcgriff, reidel anthony, doering, jacquez green, et al. They put up sick numbers in Spurrier's offense but just couldn't get much done on the next level.

broncocalijohn
06-17-2011, 11:18 AM
every draft pick after the 4th round

I hope this is just to throw a wrench in this topic. Since when is anything after the 4th round be even considered much of a discussion and when done so, it is considered overhype? You crazy, man.

bronco militia
06-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I hope this is just to throw a wrench in this topic. Since when is anything after the 4th round be even considered much of a discussion and when done so, it is considered overhype? You crazy, man.

oh, didn't know the thread had conditions in the OP.

but nothing beats the hype generated by this place after we draft.

broncocalijohn
06-17-2011, 11:38 AM
oh, didn't know the thread had conditions in the OP.

but nothing beats the hype generated by this place after we draft.

We like to think that the higher ups found a diamond in the rough. Until they proved otherwise, it is a "feel good" euphoria until we see them suck in training camp.

bronco militia
06-17-2011, 11:44 AM
We like to think that the higher ups found a diamond in the rough. Until they proved otherwise, it is a "feel good" euphoria until we see them suck in training camp.

even then, some of our faithful still can't see the truth :D

god bless 'em

Rock Chalk
06-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Holy **** what a stupid question.