PDA

View Full Version : Report: Deal could be in place in two weeks

oubronco
06-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Could it be true? Are we gonna get football after all? :pray:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-Deal-could-be-in-place-in-two-weeks.html

June 11, 2011, 10:44 AM EST

After clandestine meetings during the course of the last two weeks, have the NFL owners and players edged close to making a deal?

Maybe.

Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal reported this morning that a “framework agreement” could be in place for the two side “in about two weeks.”

If that is the case, there would be ample time for free agency for veterans and the undrafted college free agents. Training camps would also be able to start on time, which would mean none of the preseason games would be lost. Yes, those preseason games mean revenue too.

It will be interesting to see if some type of accommodation is made by the league for the teams with new head coaches. They’re typically afforded an extra minicamp during the offseason. Will they be permitted to start training camp a little bit earlier than the other teams in order to get the ball rolling?

Well, we’re getting ahead of ourselves with that. If Kaplan is accurate – and there is a buzz that progress has been made since the clandestine meeting the sides had in suburban Chicago last week – a new CBA could be in place easily in advance of July 4. The owners and players also met this week in New York, and Albert Breer of the NFL Network reports there have been talks over the phone since.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Could it be true? Are we gonna get football after all? :pray:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report-Deal-could-be-in-place-in-two-weeks.html

June 11, 2011, 10:44 AM EST

After clandestine meetings during the course of the last two weeks, have the NFL owners and players edged close to making a deal?

Maybe.

Daniel Kaplan of Sports Business Journal reported this morning that a “framework agreement” could be in place for the two side “in about two weeks.”

If that is the case, there would be ample time for free agency for veterans and the undrafted college free agents. Training camps would also be able to start on time, which would mean none of the preseason games would be lost. Yes, those preseason games mean revenue too.

It will be interesting to see if some type of accommodation is made by the league for the teams with new head coaches. They’re typically afforded an extra minicamp during the offseason. Will they be permitted to start training camp a little bit earlier than the other teams in order to get the ball rolling?

Well, we’re getting ahead of ourselves with that. If Kaplan is accurate – and there is a buzz that progress has been made since the clandestine meeting the sides had in suburban Chicago last week – a new CBA could be in place easily in advance of July 4. The owners and players also met this week in New York, and Albert Breer of the NFL Network reports there have been talks over the phone since.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

ICON
06-11-2011, 07:00 PM
http://www.clubbing9ine.com/ivanc-blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/finger-crossed.jpg

SoCalBronco
06-11-2011, 07:21 PM
That would be great. I'm looking forward to camp.

tsiguy96
06-11-2011, 07:40 PM
glad this will be done, dont know why it was so impossible to get together earlier in the offseason to do this. they are literally at the same point they were before, neither side has a ton of leverage at this point given they are amid court battles, so obviously this is a time the best deal will be done and will hopefully last 5+ years, when neither side NEEDS to get it done right now.

Baba Booey
06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Thank you God

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9159/51617brownsbroncosfootb.jpg

brncs_fan
06-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Honestly, we need all of the preseason that we can get. The sooner the better.

OBF1
06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
I think you all are getting waaaaaaaay ahead of yourselfs here. Nothing but talk. Until there is a word from either the players or owners, this is just more speculation/throwing sheet against the wall.

Hamrob
06-11-2011, 08:38 PM
Fingers are definitely crossed! This will be the wildest free agency period ever!!!

I wonder who we snag. We had better get some DT help! Probably RB too!!!

gyldenlove
06-11-2011, 08:55 PM
I think you all are getting waaaaaaaay ahead of yourselfs here. Nothing but talk. Until there is a word from either the players or owners, this is just more speculation/throwing sheet against the wall.

It seems like people completely forget that they talked for weeks before the lockout and nothing came of it.

randomtask
06-11-2011, 08:56 PM
So wait, does this mean that the main forum can stop being an extension of the WRP forum?

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2204098.jpg

Gcver2ver3
06-11-2011, 08:57 PM
they better get it done before i get mad...

eddie mac
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Kevin Mawae "We want $20 gazillion bucks"

Robert Kraft "English muther****er, do you speak it?"

Houshyamama
06-11-2011, 09:20 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__-3V0tRrxWM/TDOXcABtubI/AAAAAAAAAc8/sPpOImgbCaE/s1600/DrEvil.jpg

GreatBronco16
06-11-2011, 09:51 PM
For the love that is all Tebow.........Please get this done.

Archer81
06-11-2011, 09:57 PM
The 2011 offseason...

There were tears, laughs, shenanigans, hate lists, like lists, rampant buggery and hillarious foolhardiness.

May the guns of Tebow bless this deal and make it so.

Ramen.

:Broncos:

WABronco
06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Give a **** level: 0.667

Honestly, I couldn't even remember who our first 2nd round pick was earlier today. Mud slinging, self indulgent punk asses make it easy to not give a rip.

But ya, I suppose it would be nice to have something to look forward to sports-wise once the SCF is over.

Bronco Yoda
06-11-2011, 10:37 PM
YES!

BroncoMan4ever
06-11-2011, 11:19 PM
i am not holding my breath and until it is done, i am assuming there will be no football for a long time. i hope it gets done, but i really am not all that optimistic it will happen right away.

Dudeskey
06-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Until I hear there is a deal, this is a bull**** waste of space...
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj309/LightningRalph/BSMeter.gif

Boomhauer
06-12-2011, 04:45 AM

This. If a 'agreeing on a framework' means the lockout ends and camp can begin, that's one thing. I'm expecting the owners to hash out a new salary cap among themselves, without player input, before the new CBA is signed and probably coincides with or shortly follows the end of the lockout. I'd also guess the 'framework' wouldn't include a rookie cap since it would destroy the Draft by forcing the best prospects to pursue CFA or other leagues instead.

HILife
06-12-2011, 05:19 AM

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_w5JqQLqqTc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tsiguy96
06-12-2011, 08:12 AM
This. If a 'agreeing on a framework' means the lockout ends and camp can begin, that's one thing. I'm expecting the owners to hash out a new salary cap among themselves, without player input, before the new CBA is signed and probably coincides with or shortly follows the end of the lockout. I'd also guess the 'framework' wouldn't include a rookie cap since it would destroy the Draft by forcing the best prospects to pursue CFA or other leagues instead.

wow.

elsid13
06-12-2011, 08:32 AM
I expect that it far from close. One of the owners is going to **** it up somehow.

tsiguy96
06-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I expect that it far from close. One of the owners is going to **** it up somehow.

funny. the owners have been the ones who have been calling for litigation to stop and bargaining to happen for months now, and when the NFLPA finally agrees to it, the deal is closer to being completed than ever before...weird how that works?

ZachKC
06-12-2011, 08:51 AM
glad this will be done, dont know why it was so impossible to get together earlier in the offseason to do this. they are literally at the same point they were before, neither side has a ton of leverage at this point given they are amid court battles, so obviously this is a time the best deal will be done and will hopefully last 5+ years, when neither side NEEDS to get it done right now.

Always great to hear insight from someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about.

tsiguy96
06-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Always great to hear insight from someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about.

i know you try to be the skip bayless of this message board, but you realize you have been getting progressively more wrong just to try and keep your name visible around here the last few weeks?

ZachKC
06-12-2011, 11:32 AM
i know you try to be the skip bayless of this message board, but you realize you have been getting progressively more wrong just to try and keep your name visible around here the last few weeks?

Pointing out all the times you go on and on about stuff you know nothing about doesn't make someone wrong. It actually makes someone the opposite.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-12-2011, 12:42 PM

Other leagues? What other leagues? Also a rookie salary cap hasn't killed the NBA and top prospects could go to Europe to fetch a bigger contract. But they don't.

Requiem
06-12-2011, 12:46 PM
When would Broncos training camp be if this deal went through?

tsiguy96
06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Pointing out all the times you go on and on about stuff you know nothing about doesn't make someone wrong. It actually makes someone the opposite.

typical argument. you dont even attempt to respond to a single thing i said, or how its wrong, you just stomp and scream "wrong!"

im not wrong, not at all. neither side has the leverage, as no ruling has come down from the eighth circuit court, and they will probably hold off on a ruling if progress is being made, as we are currently seeing. however, with the owners having the inevitable win in the eighth circuit court, the players finally agreed after months of trying to litigation route that they will sit down and negotiate in good faith instead of going through the motions until the next court ruling. guess where this leads us? to PROGRESS on the CBA. i know its difficult, but stay with me. since, however, there is not an actual court ruling yet and the lockout remains in place, neither side has a ton of leverage, meaning that one side is not going to just cave and accept a bad deal. guess what happens when that occurs? well, we are seeing it now, the players admittedly got a "player friendly" deal, and what do you know, a lockout.

here comes the one liner in response, im sure.

Requiem
06-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Piss in his face, TSI.

tsiguy96
06-12-2011, 01:19 PM
When would Broncos training camp be if this deal went through?

it would be the same as every year i think? say july 7th or something the deal got done, it would give a full signing period for college and pro FAs as well as whatever deals are done, and time to prepare for a full training camp and preseason.

preseason schedule:
Week 1 at Dallas (August 11-15)
Week 2 vs. Buffalo (August 18-22)
Week 3 vs. Seattle (August 25-29)
Week 4 at Arizona (September 1-2)

Requiem
06-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Darn, well then I probably won't be able to get out to camp unless it's in early August. Definitely will hit up a pre-season game.

Chris
06-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I'll see it when they believe it.

ZachKC
06-12-2011, 02:44 PM
typical argument. you dont even attempt to respond to a single thing i said, or how its wrong, you just stomp and scream "wrong!"

im not wrong, not at all. neither side has the leverage, as no ruling has come down from the eighth circuit court, and they will probably hold off on a ruling if progress is being made, as we are currently seeing. however, with the owners having the inevitable win in the eighth circuit court, the players finally agreed after months of trying to litigation route that they will sit down and negotiate in good faith instead of going through the motions until the next court ruling. guess where this leads us? to PROGRESS on the CBA. i know its difficult, but stay with me. since, however, there is not an actual court ruling yet and the lockout remains in place, neither side has a ton of leverage, meaning that one side is not going to just cave and accept a bad deal. guess what happens when that occurs? well, we are seeing it now, the players admittedly got a "player friendly" deal, and what do you know, a lockout.

here comes the one liner in response, im sure.
I am the one accused of one liner responses. You have such a short memory...in the TSA thread while you were googling quotes from the founders I was showing you and explaining the exact case law that you should go about overturning that gave the TSA the power you have.

Of course you didn't care about any of that...you just wanted to hear yourself bitch and regurgitate platitudes.

As far as the different sides having leverage I think it is interesting that you only point towards the courts decisions in determining leverage. There are many many factors that are swinging leverage from one side to the other and the courts are only one of them.

As much as some of the owners are feigning money problems the players can't miss many checks meanwhile the owners overhead is reduced significantly with the lockout. Expenses such as player salaries, 401(k) contributions, insurance and some operations costs are gone.

And that is only scratching the surface. We can only know so much on the outside looking in. To believe you know the leverage of a situation like this and only point to the courts decisions as evidence shows a naivety that would be surprising to m if it was posted by anyone else.

tsiguy96
06-12-2011, 02:54 PM
I am the one accused of one liner responses. You have such a short memory...in the TSA thread while you were googling quotes from the founders I was showing you and explaining the exact case law that you should go about overturning that gave the TSA the power you have.

Of course you didn't care about any of that...you just wanted to hear yourself b**** and regurgitate platitudes.

As far as the different sides having leverage I think it is interesting that you only point towards the courts decisions in determining leverage. There are many many factors that are swinging leverage from one side to the other and the courts are only one of them.

As much as some of the owners are feigning money problems the players can't miss many checks meanwhile the owners overhead is reduced significantly with the lockout. Expenses such as player salaries, 401(k) contributions, insurance and some operations costs are gone.

And that is only scratching the surface. We can only know so much on the outside looking in. To believe you know the leverage of a situation like this and only point to the courts decisions as evidence shows a naivety that would be surprising to m if it was posted by anyone else.

to deny the level of influence the courts have on this process is simply stupid, and i would hope you know taht given the players strategy in gaining a CBA in their favor (or retain the one already in place) was through the litigation process. the players chose to have that sort of strategy and it initially worked, but the eighth circuit backfired on them, so while they have posted no official ruling on the subject, the CBA negotiation process has kickstarted once again. why? because no one has true leverage in the situation.

keep reaching for every other argument you possibly can, meanwhile the rest of us will view the situation for what it actually is.

some reading material for you to ponder
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8203a00b/article/the-time-is-now-for-nfl-players-to-get-a-deal-done

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/04/time-to-strike-a-deal-is-before-not-after-eighth-circuit-rules/

from albert breer of NFL.com:
“Both sides feel the pressure now,” another league source told Breer. “There’s risk on both sides legally here. Neither side is completely comfortable with its legal position. So it’s imperative to work now before one side or the other potentially gets the upper hand.”

ZachKC
06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
to deny the level of influence the courts have on this process is simply stupid, and i would hope you know taht given the players strategy in gaining a CBA in their favor (or retain the one already in place) was through the litigation process. the players chose to have that sort of strategy and it initially worked, but the eighth circuit backfired on them, so while they have posted no official ruling on the subject, the CBA negotiation process has kickstarted once again. why? because no one has true leverage in the situation.

keep reaching for every other argument you possibly can, meanwhile the rest of us will view the situation for what it actually is.

some reading material for you to ponder
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8203a00b/article/the-time-is-now-for-nfl-players-to-get-a-deal-done

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/04/time-to-strike-a-deal-is-before-not-after-eighth-circuit-rules/

from albert breer of NFL.com:
To read my post and claim this "to deny the level of influence the courts have on this process is simply stupid" tells me you simply do not know how to read. I agree with you...if I did think that I would be completely stupid.

Tell whoever is reading your posts for you that they are doing a terrible job.

tsiguy96
06-12-2011, 04:06 PM
To read my post and claim this "to deny the level of influence the courts have on this process is simply stupid" tells me you simply do not know how to read. I agree with you...if I did think that I would be completely stupid.

Tell whoever is reading your posts for you that they are doing a terrible job.

There are many many factors that are swinging leverage from one side to the other and the courts are only one of them.

you are attempting to downplay the role the courts are playing in this process, when the entire timeline of events disagrees with your thought process. and now you are trying to go back on that?

of course there are many factors, but as i explicity stated, the courts are the most important at this point, and given that the litigation process is in limbo and the CBA is finally being negotiated, given that neither side has a real state of leverage right now, i dont even know what you can possibly be disagreeing with. just trying to pick a fight?

ZachKC
06-12-2011, 04:21 PM
you are attempting to downplay the role the courts are playing in this process, when the entire timeline of events disagrees with your thought process. and now you are trying to go back on that?

of course there are many factors, but as i explicity stated, the courts are the most important at this point, and given that the litigation process is in limbo and the CBA is finally being negotiated, given that neither side has a real state of leverage right now, i dont even know what you can possibly be disagreeing with. just trying to pick a fight?

Do you know what the word "deny" means. If you use a word you have to know what it means.

Zach: There are a lot of factors that go into leverage the courts being only one of them

tsiretard96: How can you deny the level of influence the courts have on this process

You are embarrassing yourself.

i dont even know what you can possibly be disagreeing with.

There are a lot of things you don't know no matter how plainly I try to explain them to you. Maybe someone else will hold your hand through these simple things I have a shoot to to run to.

tsiguy96
06-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Do you know what the word "deny" means. If you use a word you have to know what it means.

Zach: There are a lot of factors that go into leverage the courts being only one of them

tsiretard96: How can you deny the level of influence the courts have on this process

You are embarrassing yourself.

There are a lot of things you don't know no matter how plainly I try to explain them to you. Maybe someone else will hold your hand through these simple things I have a shoot to to run to.

there are a lot of factors, sure. the level of influence each has varies from item to item, this much you SHOULD know. the courts are far and away the most important of these, that also should be obvious, to most anyway. yet you make post after post trying to deny that, or spin it to another way so you can shoot as many insults back as possible while ignoring 95% of my argument? thats a good way to debate, good job, you sound like a republican.

cmhargrove
06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Interesting quote from Jim Harbaugh in this NFL.com article:

Harbaugh believes he'll be working with his crop of quarterbacks sooner than some would think, predicting that the NFL lockout will end in early July, in time for training camp and a full slate of preseason games.

"I choose to be optimistic," Harbaugh said. "And I really think early July there's a chance a deal is done. That's kind of what I'm planning for.

"If they can get a deal done in July, right now we're scheduled to go to training camp on July 28. So if we go to training camp on the 28th, we'll get the whole exhibition season in."

Full article about Alex Smith:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8204c623/article/harbaugh-smith-has-rare-kind-of-character-amid-criticism?module=HP_headlines

Beantown Bronco
06-13-2011, 01:20 PM
I would bet everything I own against this happening.

TailgateNut
06-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Interesting quote from Jim Harbaugh in this NFL.com article:

Harbaugh believes he'll be working with his crop of quarterbacks sooner than some would think, predicting that the NFL lockout will end in early July, in time for training camp and a full slate of preseason games.

"I choose to be optimistic," Harbaugh said. "And I really think early July there's a chance a deal is done. That's kind of what I'm planning for.

"If they can get a deal done in July, right now we're scheduled to go to training camp on July 28. So if we go to training camp on the 28th, we'll get the whole exhibition season in."

Full article about Alex Smith:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8204c623/article/harbaugh-smith-has-rare-kind-of-character-amid-criticism?module=HP_headlines

Well that sucks balls. I get tired of having to pay full price for useless preseason games.

ZachKC
06-13-2011, 01:25 PM
there are a lot of factors, sure. the level of influence each has varies from item to item, this much you SHOULD know. the courts are far and away the most important of these, that also should be obvious, to most anyway. yet you make post after post trying to deny that, or spin it to another way so you can shoot as many insults back as possible while ignoring 95% of my argument? thats a good way to debate, good job, you sound like a republican.

Look. I am sorry you don't know how to read and that you sell gift cards for a living. I don't know what else to tell you. It is difficult to have a conversation with someone that doesn't understand words.

underrated29
06-13-2011, 01:36 PM
The sexual tension between Zach and TSI is insurmountable. It is making my corn hole tighten up just being in this thread with them.

Damn we need some football.

That One Guy
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Well that sucks balls. I get tired of having to pay full price for useless preseason games.

Luckily, they have a program this year where you don't have to pay for them. I'm doing it so I know it's real.

Kaylore
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
The sexual tension between Zach and TSI is insurmountable. It is making my corn hole tighten up just being in this thread with them.

:spit:

ANYWAY...I don't think this is a bogus story. I appreciate all the cynicism, but several sources have reported that after the stay on the injunction was lifted the NFLPA suddenly got more reasonable. Probably they realized the owners were going to win their appeal and more time = the player lose more and so they decided to cut their losses and we're seeing some movement.

Also the idea that a rookie cap would send all the college players to get paid 1/3 of what they could make in the NFL playing in Canada is absolutely ridiculous.

TailgateNut
06-13-2011, 04:40 PM
Luckily, they have a program this year where you don't have to pay for them. I'm doing it so I know it's real.

HUH?

RhymesayersDU
06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Also the idea that a rookie cap would send all the college players to get paid 1/3 of what they could make in the NFL playing in Canada is absolutely ridiculous.

Seriously, I've read some dumb things on this board but that is probably Top 10, if not 5. Destroy the draft? Comical.

tsiguy96
06-13-2011, 07:20 PM
:spit:

ANYWAY...I don't think this is a bogus story. I appreciate all the cynicism, but several sources have reported that after the stay on the injunction was lifted the NFLPA suddenly got more reasonable. Probably they realized the owners were going to win their appeal and more time = the player lose more and so they decided to cut their losses and we're seeing some movement.

another thing to keep in mind is if the lockout/bargaining holdout spills into preseason, the players will lose a LOT of money that otherwise would have been paid to them. they said 3 weeks prior to preseason game 1 a deal needs to be done for everything to start on time i believe. so that puts mid july as end date?

That One Guy
06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
HUH?

Yep, you're no longer legally obligated to buy season tickets. All you have to do is not get season tickets and they can't charge you for the preseason tickets. Magic!

cmhargrove
06-14-2011, 05:05 PM
More positive reports from CBS.

excerpt:
• CBSSports.com reporter Mike Freeman, citing a source with "intimate" knowledge of the ongoing talks, says negotiations are 80 to 85 percent complete.

Freeman also reports that several key figures have been taken by surprise with how swiftly progress has been made; in fact, some have had to cancel vacations because they believe a deal will be struck within a matter of days.

"It's going to be very difficult for this to get screwed up," CBS' source said.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/nfl-labor-talks/story/nfl-lockout-various-reports-raise-optimism-about-talks#ixzz1PIJlR2S4 (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2010-09/nfl-labor-talks/story/nfl-lockout-various-reports-raise-optimism-about-talks)

schaaf
06-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap

oubronco
06-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Make it happen boys

cutthemdown
06-15-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm not even worried. I've said all along most likely they have a deal by mid july, come preseason and tc in late july, august, and the season starting in sept like usual.

Kaylore
06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
PFT had a report out from another source saying the reports of this being "almost done" are premature, but that things are moving along. It also has been reported that the circuit court has a liaison sitting in on the talks and reporting back to them. As long as talks continue there likely won't be a ruling, the hope being once they agree to an agreement the Owners will lift the lockout.

worm
06-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Damn lawyers!!!!!!!!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6663832

Sources: Still much work to do in talks

At a time when many are waiting for and anticipating a new deal between owners and the NFL Players Association, there was a point Tuesday when talks clearly regressed.

One person close to the talks even went so far as to say, "This almost blew up yesterday."

How close it got to that point is a matter of opinion. The moment may have come shortly after lawyers from both sides were brought back into the process at an undisclosed location in the Washington, D.C., area.

As tensions rose and anger grew, two sources said NFLPA leader DeMaurice Smith instructed his lawyers to "stand down."

With the lawyers removed from the direct negotiations, the process was said to get back on track and to a good spot. The scenario is an example of just how tenuous these talks can be and how quickly they can be derailed.

But it also is the ultimate proof that Smith and his players, and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and the owners, have taken the process out of the hands of the attorneys and demanded that they control it as the two sides try to hammer out a new collective bargaining agreement.

During negotiations in the winter, many around the league worried that the lawyers were controlling the process. But Tuesday's events are the strongest evidence to date that they are not.

Lawyers still will have to be involved in the final resolution, drawing up any agreement and signing off on what each side can and can't do. Any agreement would have to be presented to the judge in the case to be ratified.

Multiple sources familiar with the talks said progress is being made, but they cautioned that there's "a lot of drama and a lot of room for mistakes left."

To say this is going to be done in two weeks, one source said, "is borderline insane."

The sides are meeting again Wednesday in Maryland, in larger groups, and more meetings are expected next week.

Beantown Bronco
06-15-2011, 01:24 PM
To say this is going to be done in two weeks, one source said, "is borderline insane."

Yup.

Kaylore
06-15-2011, 02:41 PM
So there it is. Obviously it won't be "done" done in two weeks. However it is conceivable that this could get to a point where both sides are in agreement over enough of everything to warrant the owners lifting the lockout sooner than later. That's not an insane hope.

HooptyHoops
06-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Man, I just hope that all of these 'inside' reports and wrong and that substantial progress is being made in these talks.....lets get this behind us!

That One Guy
06-15-2011, 03:50 PM
LOL @ the players negotiating essentially as a union amidst an ongoing lawsuit claiming they didn't decertify just to push anti-trust violations

Chris
06-15-2011, 03:58 PM
They're in the red zone and the owners D just dropped an INT.

BroncoMan4ever
06-15-2011, 04:58 PM
come on rookie salary cap.

that is my main want from these talks. i don't give a rats ass how big a percentage the owners and union get, i just want a rookie cap. especially with Von in line for over 40 million guaranteed if the league continues under the old salaries for rookies.

Doggcow
06-15-2011, 05:01 PM
come on rookie salary cap.

that is my main want from these talks. i don't give a rats ass how big a percentage the owners and union get, i just want a rookie cap. especially with Von in line for over 40 million guaranteed if the league continues under the old salaries for rookies.

It'd be pretty fortunate that after our worst season ever, we get a rookie salary cap for our pick.

RhymesayersDU
06-15-2011, 05:06 PM
They're in the red zone and the owners D just dropped an INT.

Clearly Jay Cutler wasn't throwing said pass.

ZING.

CEH
06-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Schefter likes July 8th not sure why but sounds good to me

FireFly
06-15-2011, 05:24 PM
I think it will get done, and that we'll have a pre-season. But if its 80-85% done thats because the remaining 15-20% is the toughest part of the negotiation. Likely the issues that neither side wants to give ground on.

I'm fairly certain that the players will be happy with a rookie salary cap, I'm pretty sure that if there is a sticking point it will relate to profit sharing and % salary cap. Perhaps some FA issues as well, but I think we can count on a rookie cap.

BroncoMan4ever
06-15-2011, 07:10 PM
I think it will get done, and that we'll have a pre-season. But if its 80-85% done thats because the remaining 15-20% is the toughest part of the negotiation. Likely the issues that neither side wants to give ground on.

I'm fairly certain that the players will be happy with a rookie salary cap, I'm pretty sure that if there is a sticking point it will relate to profit sharing and % salary cap. Perhaps some FA issues as well, but I think we can count on a rookie cap.

i agree. most likely the players will be amenable to the rookie salary cap, so long as the money saved from the rookies goes towards the vets.

also, just curious, but does anyone else think that one of the biggest problems with these negotiations isn't so much the group of players against the owners, but instead Demaurice Smith?

FireFly
06-15-2011, 07:37 PM
also, just curious, but does anyone else think that one of the biggest problems with these negotiations isn't so much the group of players against the owners, but instead Demaurice Smith?

There is no doubt in my name that certain individuals negotiating on behalf of the player have seen this as an opportunity to make a name for themselves right from the start. In some cases I see this as the primary motivation and getting the player a good deal is simply a bonus!

Chris
06-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Clearly Jay Cutler wasn't throwing said pass.

ZING.

Only offensive players drop Cutler passes. Probably an Orton third down throw.

BroncoMan4ever
06-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Only offensive players drop Cutler passes. Probably an Orton third down throw.

i don't know about that. all of Orton's 3rd down throws tend to be screens

SoCalBronco
06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Hopefully this gets done really soon. The deeper into July it goes without backing up camp accordingly will make it very difficult for me to get my boss to give me the time off for early August on such short notice. Man, I don't want to have to miss camp due to this ****. Git R Done.

CEH
06-15-2011, 09:26 PM
i don't know about that. all of Orton's 3rd down throws tend to be screens

Denver was a very putrid 22 for 47 last year on 3rd and two or less. I think Tebow can fall forward for two yards

BroncoMan4ever
06-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Denver was a very putrid 22 for 47 last year on 3rd and two or less. I think Tebow can fall forward for two yards

agreed. but my main want is a RB that on 3rd and 3and shorter or in goal line situations you know that he is going to pick it up.

i miss having a guy like TD that on 3rd and 3 everyone in the stadium knew he was going to get the ball and that is was all but guaranteed he was picking up at least 4 yards on that play.

that is something i am happy with Fox about. he wants to run the ball and is going to get us another back that can do some damage instead of this timid pussy running we have gotten for the last several years.

NFLBRONCO
06-15-2011, 10:18 PM
agreed. but my main want is a RB that on 3rd and 3and shorter or in goal line situations you know that he is going to pick it up.

i miss having a guy like TD that on 3rd and 3 everyone in the stadium knew he was going to get the ball and that is was all but guaranteed he was picking up at least 4 yards on that play.

that is something i am happy with Fox about. he wants to run the ball and is going to get us another back that can do some damage instead of this timid p***Y running we have gotten for the last several years.

I agree

enjolras
06-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Schefter likes July 8th not sure why but sounds good to me

It'll be July 8th then... I'm pretty Schefter is just an alias for the commissioner at this point. He's always right.

enjolras
06-15-2011, 11:49 PM

McDaniels clearly has never heard of the Quarterback sneak. I think even Orton can pull that off...

Kaylore
06-15-2011, 11:54 PM
Drew Brees mentioned both sides know it will be really hard to start on time if a deal isn't reached by July.

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2011, 12:39 AM
It'll be July 8th then... I'm pretty Schefter is just an alias for the commissioner at this point. He's always right.

sounds good to me. only thing is signing all the rookies in roughly 3 weeks. there is always the 1st round asswipes who have to wait and draw it out until those slotted around him get a deal signed.

but 3 weeks to scour the UDFA market and there are a few that we should jump on immediately and a few weeks to find some DL and get them integrated into a new system. this is definitely going to be a bitch of an early season for Denver.

cmhargrove
06-16-2011, 07:09 AM
sounds good to me. only thing is signing all the rookies in roughly 3 weeks. there is always the 1st round asswipes who have to wait and draw it out until those slotted around him get a deal signed.

but 3 weeks to scour the UDFA market and there are a few that we should jump on immediately and a few weeks to find some DL and get them integrated into a new system. this is definitely going to be a b**** of an early season for Denver.

One of the main components of the "new deal" is supposed to be a rookie cap, and probably more of a rookie pay scale like the NBA. It should make the signings much easier (and less costly for us).

Hercules Rockefeller
06-16-2011, 07:46 AM
One of the main components of the "new deal" is supposed to be a rookie cap, and probably more of a rookie pay scale like the NBA. It should make the signings much easier (and less costly for us).

A rookie cap has existed for years, they're instituting an NBA-style wage scale.

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2011, 08:26 AM

less costly, yes. but it still won't be any easier getting 1st rounders signed. you are still going to have agents pushing for their clients getting top dollar amount possible and waiting until guys slotted around them have deals in place before their client signs anything.

it might not be 40+ million guaranteed for a guy like Von, but there will still be the finagling for extra million or 2 guaranteed. these guys aren't going to go from pulling in guaranteed money like Bradford and Suh got last year to making the equivalent of what an UDFA got last season. it is still going to be a big chunk of change and there will still be disputes over how big that chunk is.

Cito Pelon
06-16-2011, 08:39 AM
So there it is. Obviously it won't be "done" done in two weeks. However it is conceivable that this could get to a point where both sides are in agreement over enough of everything to warrant the owners lifting the lockout sooner than later. That's not an insane hope.

Well, let's hope so. I like to feel positive about something getting done soon, at least like you said a framework in place.

tsiguy96
06-16-2011, 09:34 AM
between june 30th-july 8th seems to be everyones magic dates.

tsiguy96
06-16-2011, 09:35 AM
less costly, yes. but it still won't be any easier getting 1st rounders signed. you are still going to have agents pushing for their clients getting top dollar amount possible and waiting until guys slotted around them have deals in place before their client signs anything.

it might not be 40+ million guaranteed for a guy like Von, but there will still be the finagling for extra million or 2 guaranteed. these guys aren't going to go from pulling in guaranteed money like Bradford and Suh got last year to making the equivalent of what an UDFA got last season. it is still going to be a big chunk of change and there will still be disputes over how big that chunk is.

the pay scale eliminates that, it takes the previous years number, adds a couple % then slots each rookie into that contract

underrated29
06-16-2011, 11:23 AM
I dont remember which board it was one but someone made a point about the deal getting done near july 8th or 10th 0r 11th because that is the same time that the MLB baseball thing is going on.

What baseball thing I do not know because I dont watch baseball. But their point was the NFL likes to try and take as much publicity off of MLB as possible. Not saying that the NFL is delaying a CBA to do so, or anything like that. Just that if they can get a deal done and quickly they can also steal some support away from MLB...It was an interesting thought he had.

Kaylore
06-16-2011, 11:33 AM
the pay scale eliminates that, it takes the previous years number, adds a couple % then slots each rookie into that contract

Exactly. Basically the contract details will be known because they will slotted every year. There won't be any negotiating.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-16-2011, 11:40 AM
I dont remember which board it was one but someone made a point about the deal getting done near july 8th or 10th 0r 11th because that is the same time that the MLB baseball thing is going on.

What baseball thing I do not know because I dont watch baseball. But their point was the NFL likes to try and take as much publicity off of MLB as possible. Not saying that the NFL is delaying a CBA to do so, or anything like that. Just that if they can get a deal done and quickly they can also steal some support away from MLB...It was an interesting thought he had.

I dont know why this would be the case. Preseason NFL games often out-rate world series games. Its not even a remote competition

underrated29
06-16-2011, 12:14 PM
I dont know why this would be the case. Preseason NFL games often out-rate world series games. Its not even a remote competition

oh see. I dont know. I dont give a rats ass about baseball. I just sort of assumed that baseball and football were hand in hand race for the top spot. I am glad the football owns.

Kaylore
06-16-2011, 02:42 PM
oh see. I dont know. I dont give a rats ass about baseball. I just sort of assumed that baseball and football were hand in hand race for the top spot. I am glad the football owns.

I think it's what Drew Brees was saying in that if they go too deep into July they won't be able to start the season on time. That means everyone loses money.

BroncoMan4ever
06-16-2011, 09:39 PM

thanks for clearing that up. i was under the impression that the rookie cap just simply was going to bring down the salaries but we would still have to deal with the slotting and agents and players delaying hoping for slightly bigger guarantees in the deal.

Boomhauer
06-17-2011, 02:42 AM

Would that dictated-pay also apply to rookies who forgo the draft and Union membership?

tsiguy96
06-17-2011, 02:54 AM
Would that dictated-pay also apply to rookies who forgo the draft and Union membership?

they would also forgo their opportunity to play in the NFL me thinks.

CEH
06-17-2011, 05:45 AM

If the numbers I heard are correct 16MM max contract for the top rookie with a min 3 year non renogiated contract, there will be new leagues popping up throwing more money at these players. There are way too many billionaires that want to own sports teams. The NFL is a young man's league. Not a bad way to start up a league. Kinda like starting up a new high school one class at a time

CEH
06-17-2011, 05:48 AM
thanks for clearing that up. i was under the impression that the rookie cap just simply was going to bring down the salaries but we would still have to deal with the slotting and agents and players delaying hoping for slightly bigger guarantees in the deal.

Bonuses, playing incentives would still be negotiated causing potential delays me thinks

cmhargrove
06-20-2011, 02:14 PM
Tangle of hope, pessimism surrounds owners talks in Chicago

link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82066062/article/tangle-of-hope-pessimism-surrounds-owners-talks-in-chicago?module=HP_headlines

excerpt:

Owner "factions" aren't as well defined as some have portrayed them to be.

The easy thing to do here is to box owners into "deal-maker" and "hawk" categories. In actuality, it's not that simple at all. On nearly every issue, there are differing opinions and shifting alliances within the ownership. That'll make commissioner Roger Goodell's job -- to serve the interests of 32 teams, each with a unique circumstances -- a challenging one over the next few weeks.

At this meeting, the idea will be to get the 32 owners on the same page. That doesn't mean they'll agree on everything. But remember, just seven owners have been a part of the recent "secret" meetings, and so many will enter this meeting needing the update they'll get. Voices will be heard on all major issues, concerns will be aired, and the negotiating team's approach after the meeting will need to reflect those things.

Kaylore
06-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Tangle of hope, pessimism surrounds owners talks in Chicago

link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82066062/article/tangle-of-hope-pessimism-surrounds-owners-talks-in-chicago?module=HP_headlines

excerpt:

Owner "factions" aren't as well defined as some have portrayed them to be.

The easy thing to do here is to box owners into "deal-maker" and "hawk" categories. In actuality, it's not that simple at all. On nearly every issue, there are differing opinions and shifting alliances within the ownership. That'll make commissioner Roger Goodell's job -- to serve the interests of 32 teams, each with a unique circumstances -- a challenging one over the next few weeks.

At this meeting, the idea will be to get the 32 owners on the same page. That doesn't mean they'll agree on everything. But remember, just seven owners have been a part of the recent "secret" meetings, and so many will enter this meeting needing the update they'll get. Voices will be heard on all major issues, concerns will be aired, and the negotiating team's approach after the meeting will need to reflect those things.
Yup. Each team is going to have things they like and don't like about the deal. Then the union has to sell some of it to their players. I still think money, the great unifier, will bring both sides together sooner than later. If the players don't deal now then they're going to get really screwed in a few months.

TailgateNut
06-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Yup. Each team is going to have things they like and don't like about the deal. Then the union has to sell some of it to their players. I still think money, the great unifier, will bring both sides together sooner than later. If the players don't deal now then they're going to get really screwed in a few months.

Actually they'll get screwed even harder next season when all those fans who are tired of this BS tell them to go fly a kite and shove their tickets, jerseys and other goodies up their collective asses!

I've had enough, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.

That One Guy
06-20-2011, 03:32 PM

I'm not exactly sure that's accurate. I think the intent is to bring down numbers rather than just be content to slow the increases.

tsiguy96
06-20-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm not exactly sure that's accurate. I think the intent is to bring down numbers rather than just be content to slow the increases.

yea thats what i was implying. each slot gets a certain defined amount of money (NOT 50 million gauranteed, but something much lower), which are increased the same amount as the salary cap (% wise) each year. this way rookies get the same defined amount of money.

OBF1
06-20-2011, 04:25 PM
3 days left

schaaf
06-20-2011, 04:50 PM
3 days left

Till what?

underrated29
06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Till what?

Eve of the NHL draft.

????

Beantown Bronco
06-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Till what?

Read the title of the thread and the date of the first post in it.

That One Guy
06-20-2011, 05:34 PM
yea thats what i was implying. each slot gets a certain defined amount of money (NOT 50 million gauranteed, but something much lower), which are increased the same amount as the salary cap (% wise) each year. this way rookies get the same defined amount of money.

Ahh, apologies then. I thought you were saying they were going to do those increases off the current numbers. After they do a substantial drawdown then the yearly numbers will probably increase by a few percent just as you said. Misunderstood ya.

schaaf
06-20-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm under the assumption that a framework for an agreement is already in place anyone else think that too?

cmhargrove
06-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm under the assumption that a framework for an agreement is already in place anyone else think that too?

I think this is a really good move to get all the owners in one consolidated position. When they agree as a group, we will know for sure where this thing is headed. I still think the players hold no real power (unless the league stays shut down for more than a year), so this is a chance for the owners to lay down "how it's going to be."

Also, it seems like thhe communication has been very productive lately, but there were several "camps" that probably each had major sticking points. This gives an opportunity to iron out those wrinkles, and come up with a workable deal before we lose the season (pre-season at least).

ton80
06-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Actually they'll get screwed even harder next season when all those fans who are tired of this BS tell them to go fly a kite and shove their tickets, jerseys and other goodies up their collective asses!

I've had enough, and I'm sure there are others who feel the same way.

Me too. We've missed a total of zero games this season and I couldn't be more pissed.