PDA

View Full Version : Cool or Creepy?

Bronco Yoda
06-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Oh, Facebook, here we go again.

The social media giant is facing a new wave of concerns over privacy protection after launching its latest feature, which allows users to identify their friends automatically in photos without their permission.

The photo tagging tool, called Tag Suggestions, was put into place in December, but it was listed as unavailable until recently.

Here's how it works: When a user uploads new photos to his or her Facebook profile, the new feature then scans them with facial recognition software to match the people in the photos with other photos in which they might have been previously tagged.

The feature also offers "group tagging," which allows users to type in a person's name and "apply it to multiple photos of the same person," according to Facebook's blog post on the subject.

The problem is that users can do this without their friend's permission.

Facebook said on its blog Tuesday that it has been rolling out the Tag Suggestions feature over the course of several months. While it was originally just available in the United States, they also said it is now activated in several countries, which has already caused some headaches.

more... http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebook-facial-recognition-feature-raises-eyebrows/story?id=13792666

Requiem
06-11-2011, 02:28 AM
None of my pictures are viewable on Facebook.

Blueflame
06-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Definitely creepy. Most facebook users are perfectly capable of tagging their own photos if they want them tagged. I'm annoyed at the mere idea that facebook might start unilaterally (without the permission of users) applying tags for you. How offensive... it's like saying "we think you're too inept to tag your own friends".

TailgateNut
06-11-2011, 07:56 AM
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

Get a frigging life folks!

Ratboy
06-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

http://chan.catiewayne.com/b/src/13065345544.jpg

broncocalijohn
06-11-2011, 10:39 AM
I am wearing a mask like that dude on Bachlorette did for the first few shows.

Bronco Yoda
06-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Definitely creepy. Most facebook users are perfectly capable of tagging their own photos if they want them tagged. I'm annoyed at the mere idea that facebook might start unilaterally (without the permission of users) applying tags for you. How offensive... it's like saying "we think you're too inept to tag your own friends".

According to Nightline last night they've been tagging and compiling quietly for months now Blue. That's what started the lawsuit and then the Nightline story.

I'm not sure what's the difference between you tagging and them tagging. I'm not on facebook and have visited it only a few times so I'm not sure how everything works.

If I recall correctly, the software is from (face.com) http://face.com. I know the the same technology is already being used in a couple photo storage software programs you can run on your computer that sound pretty cool. You can search your entire database by face. Pretty useful if you have tons of pictures. But I'm not sure I'd want the same personal database on the Internet for all time!

They also mentioned that this software was used the last Super Bowl where they had cameras at the entrances. They caught 26 criminals just by the computer scanning the crowds walking into the game using biometeric markers and comparing to police databases. All automated.

24champ
06-11-2011, 10:51 AM
I am wearing a mask like that dude on Bachlorette did for the first few shows.

You watch the Bachelorette?

http://i45.tinypic.com/2w65m4y.jpg

broncocalijohn
06-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Wife watches it and therefore I know about the mask dude and the dude from Utah that was sabatoging the show. I liked that guy's work.

24champ
06-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Wife watches it and therefore I know about the mask dude and the dude from Utah that was sabatoging the show. I liked that guy's work.

Turn in your man card dude.

Blueflame
06-11-2011, 03:54 PM
According to Nightline last night they've been tagging and compiling quietly for months now Blue. That's what started the lawsuit and then the Nightline story.

I'm not sure what's the difference between you tagging and them tagging. I'm not on facebook and have visited it only a few times so I'm not sure how everything works.

If I recall correctly, the software is from (face.com) http://face.com. I know the the same technology is already being used in a couple photo storage software programs you can run on your computer that sound pretty cool. You can search your entire database by face. Pretty useful if you have tons of pictures. But I'm not sure I'd want the same personal database on the Internet for all time!

They also mentioned that this software was used the last Super Bowl where they had cameras at the entrances. They caught 26 criminals just by the computer scanning the crowds walking into the game using biometeric markers and comparing to police databases. All automated.

Scary stuff, Yoda... and precisely why I am not exactly "forthcoming" with providing personal information to facebook. Any pics of me on there are generally tagged ones from other users. It's convenient having an easily-accessed place to share pictures and stuff with family and friends, but once that content is posted there, it becomes public; not private.

broncocalijohn
06-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Turn in your man card dude.

As soon as you turn your man card in for liking the Bruins of UCLA :D

Boomhauer
06-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

This. What's the point of Facebook, Twitter, Myspace or any other of that social media crap except to relinquish privacy?
If concerned about your privacy being invaded, then communicate by phone or e-mail with specific individuals. Then only our Gov can 'legally' violate your privacy - despite the 4th Amendment that everyone in office to an oath to protect and defend.

DHallblows
06-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

Delicious irony

Bronco Yoda
06-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Only a Few Years Left Until the Social Web Kills Off Websites?
By Graeme McMillan on June 10, 2011

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/06/10/only-a-few-years-left-until-the-social-web-kills-off-websites/#ixzz1P2DCqjX5'

I hope you're all taking full advantage of your favorite websites today because, despite what common opinion says, they won't be around forever.

According to Jim Boulton, curator of the Digital Archaeology exhibition currently running in New York that charts the history of web design and internet evolution, we only have a short amount of time left in the website era as we know it.

Boulton told ReadWriteWeb:

"In a few years' time, there won't be such a thing as a website. With the rise of the social Web, now online experiences are built around the individual rather than the organization."

I'm not entirely sure that that means that websites will disappear entirely, though. Yes, RSS feeds and various forms of collecting and formatting them mean that you don't have to go to specific websites anymore, but without websites, how will people be able to discover new feeds and content in the first place? Surely there will always have to be a destination in addition to aggregators, even if those destinations become less visited?

Of course, I write for websites for a living, so I may be a potentially biased observer.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2011/06/10/only-a-few-years-left-until-the-social-web-kills-off-websites/#ixzz1P2DLpSzO

Boomhauer
06-12-2011, 04:35 AM
http://techland.time.com/2011/06/10/only-a-few-years-left-until-the-social-web-kills-off-websites/#ixzz1P2DCqjX5'
... According to Jim Boulton, curator of the Digital Archaeology exhibition currently running in New York that charts the history of web design and internet evolution, we only have a short amount of time left in the website era as we know it.
Boulton told ReadWriteWeb: "In a few years' time, there won't be such a thing as a website. With the rise of the social Web, now online experiences are built around the individual rather than the organization." ...
http://techland.time.com/2011/06/10/only-a-few-years-left-until-the-social-web-kills-off-websites/#ixzz1P2DLpSzO

Complete BS - Social media is an addition too, not a replacement for the internet. Those comments are like saying, "Tube tops are popular now, so soon it will be the only clothing article people wear."

TailgateNut
06-12-2011, 05:18 AM

Delicious irony

Aw, how quaint.:rofl:

I think it's hilarious that people who put their personal info out for all to see get all bent out of shape when someone uses or abuses that info.:rofl:

DHallblows
06-12-2011, 07:59 AM
Aw, how quaint.:rofl:

I think it's hilarious that people who put their personal info out for all to see get all bent out of shape when someone uses or abuses that info.:rofl:

I just don't see how someone averaging 6 posts a day on a forum could complain about Facebook users needing a life. It's very hypocritical.

That's like posting 1 status, writing on the walls of 3 people and commenting on 2 pictures. DAILY

serious hops
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
I just don't see how someone averaging 6 posts a day on a forum could complain about Facebook users needing a life. It's very hypocritical.

That's like posting 1 status, writing on the walls of 3 people and commenting on 2 pictures. DAILY

Yea, but posting here is cool and manly, not socially inept like using a site that hundreds of millions of people probably use. Geez, can't you see the difference? I guess you're just not the same kind of badass, rugged individualist as that guy.

Drunk Monkey
06-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Sadly I know far more then I should about America's Top Model for this same reason. As far as I can tell Bitches be crazy seams to be the point of the show.

mhgaffney
06-12-2011, 07:44 PM
I do not facebook.

I won't even dignify it with a capital "F."

I'd rather Facetime with my friends -- via my Mac.

broncosteven
06-12-2011, 08:50 PM

So you watch a lot of shows with masked dudes who's "work" you like?

LOL

TailgateNut
06-13-2011, 07:54 AM

You didn't do too well with reading comprehension, did ya?

"people who put their personal info out for all to see get all bent out of shape when someone uses or abuses that info"ROFL!

Akin to me getting upset if my teenage daughter borrows my CC and I don't set a limit, and then get upset if she spends a bunch of money at the mall.Hilarious!

Beantown Bronco
06-13-2011, 08:02 AM
None of my pictures are viewable on Facebook.

Sure they are. Doesn't matter what settings you put on your own personal photo libraries. If you have any "facebook friends" at all and appear in their unblocked pics, whether they tag you or not, you're out there. Or people that aren't even your "facebook friends", same thing.

It's really not that hard to get access to "blocked" photo albums BTW.

Kaylore
06-13-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't see what the big deal is.

TheReverend
06-13-2011, 09:38 AM
You didn't do too well with reading comprehension, did ya?

"people who put their personal info out for all to see get all bent out of shape when someone uses or abuses that info"ROFL!

Akin to me getting upset if my teenage daughter borrows my CC and I don't set a limit, and then get upset if she spends a bunch of money at the mall.Hilarious!

How are you knocking people's "reading comprehension" when you changed your "point" after just one post?

Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

That's what he's been responding to and rightfully so.

Rausch 2.0
06-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Oh, Facebook, here we go again.

The social media giant is facing a new wave of concerns over privacy protection after launching its latest feature, which allows users to identify their friends automatically in photos without their permission.

The photo tagging tool, called Tag Suggestions, was put into place in December, but it was listed as unavailable until recently.

Here's how it works: When a user uploads new photos to his or her Facebook profile, the new feature then scans them with facial recognition software to match the people in the photos with other photos in which they might have been previously tagged.

The feature also offers "group tagging," which allows users to type in a person's name and "apply it to multiple photos of the same person," according to Facebook's blog post on the subject.

The problem is that users can do this without their friend's permission.

Facebook said on its blog Tuesday that it has been rolling out the Tag Suggestions feature over the course of several months. While it was originally just available in the United States, they also said it is now activated in several countries, which has already caused some headaches.

more... http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebook-facial-recognition-feature-raises-eyebrows/story?id=13792666

It's been creepy for a while.

When you "suggest" friends to me that I only know because they game me a ride home my sophomore year of HS....and a neighbor I lived next to for 1 year over 20 years ago.

WTF?

I have already, clearly, put too much out there...

DHallblows
06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

SOMEONE needs help with reading comprehension...but it's not me.

DHallblows
06-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Oh hey Rev didn't see your post, my bad. Good to see someone agrees and that I'm not taking crazy pills...

Pony Boy
06-13-2011, 12:47 PM
So you watch a lot of shows with masked dudes who's "work" you like?

LOL

Now this guy was cool..........

TailgateNut
06-13-2011, 01:10 PM
SOMEONE needs help with reading comprehension...but it's not me.

I was suggesting that someone who uses facebook to turn about and bitch about others diddling with their info which is out for anyone to diddle with is laughable, to say the least.

Didn't mean to hurt your fragile feelings.:spit:
Wanna band-aid?

DHallblows
06-13-2011, 04:08 PM
I was suggesting that someone who uses facebook to turn about and b**** about others diddling with their info which is out for anyone to diddle with is laughable, to say the least.

Didn't mean to hurt your fragile feelings.:spit:
Wanna band-aid?

See how people can actually understand your point when you use over 6 words in a post? And then you have the balls to say I can't read...ROFL!

And hurt feelings?! ??? wtf are you talking about? You say that because I capitalized "someone"? Ha!

Bronco Yoda
06-13-2011, 09:51 PM
It's been creepy for a while.

When you "suggest" friends to me that I only know because they game me a ride home my sophomore year of HS....and a neighbor I lived next to for 1 year over 20 years ago.

WTF?

I have already, clearly, put too much out there...

Interesting to watch the technology creep slowly but surely. I wonder how far it will all connect together down the line.

Mogulseeker
06-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Its trying to get people to use the tag feature more so they can better apply caches for the purpose of advertising revenue.

Broncos_OTM
06-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Facebook-Bawahahahaha!

I'd love to hear your opinion on orangemane.

TailgateNut
06-14-2011, 05:01 AM
I'd love to hear your opinion on orangemane.

Honest opinion?
About the mane, or about the majority of the people?

alkemical
06-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Facebook loses 6M U.S. users in May
from BLACKLISTEDNEWS.COM
Facebook may continue to gain users, but the world’s biggest social network isn’t gaining them as quickly as it has been and is actually losing users in the U.S.

Facebook gained 11.8 million more users last month alone, according to a study by Inside Facebook. While that’s a lot of new users, it’s less than the 13.9 million new users who joined the site in April, or the 20 million gain during some months in the past year.

And while Inside Facebook reports that the social network is approaching 700 million users worldwide, the number of U.S. users has dropped. The study found that Facebook lost 6 million U.S. users in May.

LRtagger
06-14-2011, 08:42 AM

That's not how it works. When you upload photos, the facial recognition software suggests tags based on the recognition program they use. Half the time it is wrong (sometimes when I put a picture of my kids it tags it as me or my wife). When it pulls up the recommended tags, there's a huge button at the top that says "skip tagging" or you can manually go through and uncheck the recommended tags for each picture.

Also, if you are the person being tagged, you can remove the tag yourself and it cannot be placed back on the picture.

It's really not a big deal IMO.

Kaylore
06-14-2011, 09:20 AM
That's not how it works. When you upload photos, the facial recognition software suggests tags based on the recognition program they use. Half the time it is wrong (sometimes when I put a picture of my kids it tags it as me or my wife). When it pulls up the recommended tags, there's a huge button at the top that says "skip tagging" or you can manually go through and uncheck the recommended tags for each picture.

Also, if you are the person being tagged, you can remove the tag yourself and it cannot be placed back on the picture.

It's really not a big deal IMO.

It also won't recommend someone who isn't your friend. If you don't want someone to post pictures of you, unfriend them. You can also just remove your tag and ask them not to put pictures up.

Again, this is not some Orwellian conspiracy.

alkemical
06-14-2011, 09:31 AM
It also won't recommend someone who isn't your friend. If you don't want someone to post pictures of you, unfriend them. You can also just remove your tag and ask them not to put pictures up.

maybe an Illuminati one though.

Bronco Yoda
06-14-2011, 09:46 AM

The law of unintended consequences. Need I say more?

alkemical
06-14-2011, 10:45 AM
The law of unintended consequences. Need I say more?

Indeed....