PDA

View Full Version : What is college football's best conference?

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
06-08-2011, 06:22 PM
All you liberal Yankees,

The best football is played in Dixie. Bow down to the Stars n Bars! The South shall rise again!

SoCalBronco
06-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Haha...great username. You must be an Alabama fan.

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
06-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Haha...great username. You must be an Alabama fan.

Hell yeah! ROLL TIDE!

Doggcow
06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
It's PAC-12, btw.

But only Utah really brings a lot this year I think.

BroncoMan4ever
06-08-2011, 06:59 PM
is this counting the new conference makeups with numerous teams moving conferences? or is this pre-change to conferences?

RhymesayersDU
06-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Big LOL at any votes that aren't for the SEC.

BroncoMan4ever
06-08-2011, 07:08 PM
It's PAC-12, btw.

But only Utah really brings a lot this year I think.

i have high hopes for CU in the coming years. 2011 is not going to happen, but in the next few years i think CU is going to make a return to being a ranked program instead of a bottomfeeder

houghtam
06-08-2011, 07:57 PM
It's got to be the SEC until another conference proves otherwise.

Tim
06-08-2011, 08:06 PM
SEC by a mile but for pro prospects I'd put big 12 equal with them

OrangeSe7en
06-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Theres no one even with the SEC. 5 years in a row. Give me a break. Its the SEC and then everyone else.

serious hops
06-08-2011, 08:47 PM
It's obviously the SEC-- really no need for a self-congratulatory thread to confirm it.

Anikai
06-08-2011, 09:01 PM
SEC Vs. Everyone Else:
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/092009/1252074053_downhill.gif

Cmac821
06-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I wanted to choose MWC but I just couldn't

broncocalijohn
06-08-2011, 10:42 PM
At least the Pagan holiday for Christmas Poll beats this one. Adds value that Religion is still tops over the SEC.....but not by much.

misturanderson
06-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I wanted to choose MWC but I just couldn't

If they could have kept TCU, BYU and Utah, while adding Boise, they might have been close to making a case for it. Not so much now.

ZachKC
06-08-2011, 11:59 PM
i have high hopes for CU in the coming years. 2011 is not going to happen, but in the next few years i think CU is going to make a return to being a ranked program instead of a bottomfeeder

I would be shocked.

houghtam
06-09-2011, 12:55 AM
If they could have kept TCU, BYU and Utah, while adding Boise, they might have been close to making a case for it. Not so much now.

lol

Even with those teams, the MWC wouldn't come close to any of the real 6 conferences, especially the SEC.

ZachKC
06-09-2011, 01:06 AM

Haha.

ZONA
06-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Very stupid poll IMHO. It's like asking what nation has the strongest military.

Gonna give you a little bit of a break since it's only your second post. But try a little harder not to just throw up homerism polls and bring something worthwhile to the table.

OBF1
06-09-2011, 02:34 AM
Really... Poll should read, After the SEC what conference is worth a damn

TheReverend
06-09-2011, 05:24 AM
Big 10 :)

jhns
06-09-2011, 06:08 AM
The Big Ten is easily the best. History proves this.

http://collegefootball.about.com/od/schools/a/schools-wins.htm

Four of the top seven programs = /thread.

Phantom
06-09-2011, 06:59 AM
SEC followed by Big 12 (pre Huskers move)

worm
06-09-2011, 07:08 AM
SEC...but Bama sucks.

spdirty
06-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Pac 12. Cuz of CU...and the TV money is better than the SEC, so...

LonghornBronco
06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Big XII now that we got rid of Colorado...

:poke:

Rabb
06-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Big 10 :)

as a very loyal Hawkeye...yessssssss

jhns
06-09-2011, 08:54 AM
The Big Ten is easily the best. History proves this.

Four of the top seven programs = /thread.

Just wins don't do it for you? How about titles? With Nebraskas move, it isn't even close.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_college_football_conference_has_won_the_most _national_championships

Rabb
06-09-2011, 08:56 AM
adding Nebraska was such a monster move for the conference, I love it

RhymesayersDU
06-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Just wins don't do it for you? How about titles? With Nebraskas move, it isn't even close.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_college_football_conference_has_won_the_most _national_championships

Well it brings up an interesting question; are we talking best all-time or best right now?

Of the last 13 national championships, 7 have been won by the SEC.

All time, the stats you cited certainly support your argument. But again, right now, the past 10 years, etc, would support the SEC.

jhns
06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Well it brings up an interesting question; are we talking best all-time or best right now?

Of the last 13 national championships, 7 have been won by the SEC.

All time, the stats you cited certainly support your argument. But again, right now, the past 10 years, etc, would support the SEC.

The thread didn't specify so I just went with all time. That puts the conference Nebraska is in on top. :D

I agree with everything you said though. SEC for recent years and Big Ten for all time.

ZONA
06-09-2011, 12:32 PM
I think it's fair to believe we're talking about who is on the top right now. If you don't think it's the SEC your more stupid then a Raiders fan who is drunk and talking **** to a bunch of Charger fans in their own parking lot............hahahahaha.

jhns
06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
I think it's fair to believe we're talking about who is on the top right now. If you don't think it's the SEC your more stupid then a Raiders fan who is drunk and talking **** to a bunch of Charger fans in their own parking lot............hahahahaha.

Why would anyone assume that? The question wasn't who is the best thos year, or last year. It is asking who is the best. The best would be the one with the best history. There is no argument to be made for any conference other than the Big Ten for best conference. The teams have too much history.

houghtam
06-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Why would anyone assume that? The question wasn't who is the best thos year, or last year. It is asking who is the best. The best would be the one with the best history. There is no argument to be made for any conference other than the Big Ten for best conference. The teams have too much history.

I took the question to mean best right now, which is why I chose the SEC. Although I generally disagree with jhns on just about everything, I think he's 100% right about the best all-time, though. We could have a discussion about it, but it would be a very short one, even without Nebraska in the mix. The Big Ten is, by far, the most storied conference in the NCAA.

DenverBrit
06-09-2011, 01:03 PM
SEC, followed by the big 12 and the AFC West. ;D

Rock Chalk
06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
SEC is best football conference and anyone voting otherwise is being an idiot homer.

Big 12 is second but its not really that close. They are closer to the Big 10 than the SEC.

Big 10 his 3rd, probably would be second if tOSU and Michigan were still power houses instead of afterthoughts.

Pac 12 is pathetic. Pick one team from that conference in any given year to be good the rest will suck.

ACC, Big East aren't even football conferences.

jhns
06-09-2011, 01:32 PM
SEC is best football conference and anyone voting otherwise is being an idiot homer.

I would say the ones voting for the Big Ten understand English. Everyone else is an idiot. I would love to hear an actual argument for the SEC though. I am still the only one, in this multiple page thread, to bring any facts.

Kaylore
06-09-2011, 01:32 PM
It's the Mountain West!

Ok seriously it's the SEC. This is pretty universally known. If you look at the poll results, even fans of the other conferences in the poll, die hard fans, know deep down it is true.

Garcia Bronco
06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
ACC man here and it's the SEC. The teams are just more physical top to bottom than most other conferences.

jhns
06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Again, facts disagree with most of you:

I know, the mane hates facts.

DenverBrit
06-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Again, facts disagree with most of you:

I know, the mane hates facts.

Really. From your link. You have to read ALL the facts.....it's SEC no matter how you look. Unless you want to go back in time to when the Ivy League was the best.

BCS era

If you go with conference affiliation at the time of the championship:
SEC (6)
Big 12 (2)
ACC (1)
Big 10 (1)
Big East (1)
Pac 10 (1)
All other Division I-A Conferences (0)

If you go with current conference affiliation:
SEC (6)
ACC (2)
Big 12 (2)
Big 10 (1)
Pac 10 (1)
Big East (0)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_college_football_conference_has_won_the_most _national_championships#ixzz1OoeG8r15

jhns
06-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Really. From your link. You have to read ALL the facts.....it's SEC no matter how you look. Unless you want to go back in time to when the Ivy League was the best.

BCS era

If you go with conference affiliation at the time of the championship:
SEC (6)
Big 12 (2)
ACC (1)
Big 10 (1)
Big East (1)
Pac 10 (1)

If you go with current conference affiliation:
SEC (6)
ACC (2)
Big 12 (2)
Big 10 (1)
Pac 10 (1)
Big East (0)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Which_college_football_conference_has_won_the_most _national_championships#ixzz1OoeG8r15

Who uses only a little over a decade? Maybe you guys should tell us the random qualifiers you added to the original question so that your answers make sense."I responded with who is the best over the last 12 years." "I answered who was best last season." "I responded with who I think will be the best next season."

The Ivy League isn't the best because they won all of those titles when they were the only ones playing...

The other link also shows that four of the top seven all time programs are now in the Big Ten. One of the top seven isn't in a conference. One of the top seven is from the SEC, with only two of the top ten being from the SEC.

misturanderson
06-09-2011, 02:39 PM
lol

Even with those teams, the MWC wouldn't come close to any of the real 6 conferences, especially the SEC.
Which is why those former MWC teams plus Boise have failed so miserably in Bowl games against the BCS conferences. LOL

I made a point of saying they MIGHT have been CLOSE. Instead all of the good teams jumped ship because the BCS had been ****ting on them for so long and wasn't about to stop.

Really? You think the MWC, if they retained all of those teams and added Boise, would be worse than the ACC and Big East? That's just stupid. They would easily have had a case for being considered as good or better than the Big 10 and PAC 10.

DenverBrit
06-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Who uses only a little over a decade? The Ivy League isn't the best because they won all of those titles when they were the only ones playing...

The other link also shows that four of the top seven all time programs are now in the Big Ten. One of the top seven isn't in a conference. One of the top seven is from the SEC, with only two of the top ten being from the SEC.

The question is present tense, and for the present, and in the BCS era, the SEC is the best.

jhns
06-09-2011, 02:56 PM
The question is present tense, and for the present, and in the BCS era, the SEC is the best.

I edited my last post a little late, so I will just add it here:

Maybe you guys should tell us the random qualifiers you added to the original question so that your answers make sense."I responded with who is the best over the last 12 years." "I answered who was best last season." "I responded with who I think will be the best next season."

Now, presently, the Big Ten is the best conference. In the BCS era, a new qualifier that wasn't in the original question, the SEC is the best.

Play2win
06-09-2011, 04:18 PM
PAC-10

By Best, I mean most fun for ME to watch.

houghtam
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Which is why those former MWC teams plus Boise have failed so miserably in Bowl games against the BCS conferences. LOL

I made a point of saying they MIGHT have been CLOSE. Instead all of the good teams jumped ship because the BCS had been ****ting on them for so long and wasn't about to stop.

Really? You think the MWC, if they retained all of those teams and added Boise, would be worse than the ACC and Big East? That's just stupid. They would easily have had a case for being considered as good or better than the Big 10 and PAC 10.

Any given Saturday. If any of the MWC teams were in any of the power 6 conferences, they wouldn't even have a chance to be considered for BCS qualification, because they wouldn't finish above .500. It's easy to whine and cry your way to BCS consideration when you're winning 10-12 games against UNLV.

houghtam
06-09-2011, 04:24 PM

The question is present tense, but is ridiculously vague. Don't give the guy a hard time for reading something into a question that was worded subjectively, regardless of how much you loathe him.

DenverBrit
06-09-2011, 04:46 PM
The question is present tense, but is ridiculously vague. Don't give the guy a hard time for reading something into a question that was worded subjectively, regardless of how much you loathe him.

The question wasn't ridiculously vague, it was specific.

If I ask a present tense question:

What is the largest animal walking the earth, would you include dinosaurs to make your point?

'Loathe him'? How did you jump to that assumption?? 8')

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
06-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Screw the history argument too.

The Big Ten is nothing but frauds. Don't drink the kool aid that Jim Delany and the Big Ten apologists are serving/

Since 1970, the conference is 12-25 in the Rose Bowl.

In that same time period, I can count the number of national championships on one hand (two). Ohio State (2002) and Michigan (1997) in case you were wondering.

40 years is a big chunk of modern football history, covering two generations.

Sure you will always have Red Grange, Howard Cassady and Bronko Nagurski, but no one that is under 80 years old cares!!!

What have you done in the modern era of football? You know in the time of the NFL/AFL merger, west coast offense, integration? It's a different game now.

TheReverend
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM

The Big Ten is nothing but frauds. Don't drink the kool aid that Jim Delany and the Big Ten apologists are serving/

That's just hurtful Chris

In that same time period, I can count the number of national championships on one hand (two). Ohio State (2002) and Michigan (1997) in case you were wondering.

Can't be true. PSU has two national championships in that time period alone (82 and 86)

jhns
06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
The question wasn't ridiculously vague, it was specific.

If I ask a present tense question:

What is the largest animal walking the earth, would you include dinosaurs to make your point?

'Loathe him'? How did you jump to that assumption?? 8')

LOL That is a horrible example. Dinasaurs are not still walking this planet. College confrences are still playing football. You can think Johnny come lately is the best conference and I will think the ones that have been doing it for a long time are the best.

TheReverend
06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Can't be true. PSU has two national championships in that time period alone (82 and 86)

Forgot that was right before they joined the Big 10. BS technicality, imo.

DenverBrit
06-09-2011, 05:22 PM
LOL That is a horrible example. Dinasaurs are not still walking this planet. College confrences are still playing football. You can think Johnny come lately is the best conference and I will think the ones that have been doing it for a long time are the best.

If it wasn't meant to be the present, why would the Big 12 or MWC be choices?

They didn't exist during the period you want to include. :welcome:

jhns
06-09-2011, 08:01 PM
If it wasn't meant to be the present, why would the Big 12 or MWC be choices?

They didn't exist during the period you want to include. :welcome:

One was the Big 8 and why would the MWC be on there anyways?

houghtam
06-09-2011, 09:29 PM

lol pwn

Agamemnon
06-10-2011, 01:47 AM

40 years is a big chunk of modern football history, covering two generations.

Sure you will always have Red Grange, Howard Cassady and Bronko Nagurski, but no one that is under 80 years old cares!!!

What have you done in the modern era of football? You know in the time of the NFL/AFL merger, west coast offense, integration? It's a different game now.

You pretty much nailed it. As far as I can tell the Big 10 is probably 4th overall. Big 10 teams have a lot of rabid fans though so you'll get claims of supremacy no matter what.

DenverBrit
06-10-2011, 05:31 AM

LOL Spin away.

jhns
06-10-2011, 05:52 AM
LOL Spin away.

I'm not the one spinning everything. I am the only one that actually posted facts...

We can't comoare NFL franchises because some came later than others! ...

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
06-12-2011, 10:54 AM

If they stayed as an independent, JoePa would have three national titles now ('94).

They would have gotten a crack at Nebraska in the Orange Bowl instead of playing a weak Pac Ten champion in Oregon.

DenverBrit
06-12-2011, 11:39 AM
I'm not the one spinning everything. I am the only one that actually posted facts...

We can't comoare NFL franchises because some came later than others! ...

So desperate, you're borrowing from Gaffney! Ha!