PDA

View Full Version : NFL Makes Contingency Plan For 8-Game Season

Taco John
06-07-2011, 11:15 PM
NFL Makes Contingency Plan For 8-Game Season
By Phil Villarreal on June 7, 2011 9:00 AM

Should the NFL and its players be unable to work out their differences in a timely manner, the league is ready to go all Solomon-like and cut its regular season in half. While fans may be disappointed and team employees could be out half a season's worth of pay, at least the Bills and Lions have hope of avoiding their traditional double-digit loss campaigns.

Sports Business Journal Daily (membership required) reports the season could start in late November if the sides can't come to an agreement before October. The hypothetical deal would allow for a free-agency period and training camp.

Football fans, is half a season better than no season?

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/nfl-makes-contingency-plan-for-8-game-season.html

BroncoMan4ever
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
i think it would be pointless and better to just say **** it until 2012

Mr. Elway
06-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I would rather see some football than none. How bizarre would that be though? Would they still have a superbowl? It's almost worse to win under those conditions, because no one except that team's fans would think it actually counted.

BigPlayShay
06-07-2011, 11:34 PM
1982 was a 9 game regular season. Division races were wiped out, it was all based on Conference. Top 8 teams from each Conference qualified for the playoffs. 2 4-5 teams made it as 8 seeds.

Taco John
06-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Not sure how I feel about this. Seems cheap to me in some way. I mean - how could anyone really respect the Superbowl winner in that situation? It would be a Superbowl trophy with an asterisk. But getting some football would be better than getting no football. Honestly, I just want to see Tebow take the field.

NFLBRONCO
06-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Home: KC Jets NE Bears

Away: Minn SD KC Buff

If this happens these are the teams we'd play

Bronco Yoda
06-08-2011, 12:01 AM
NFL Makes Contingency Plan For 8-Game Season
By Phil Villarreal on June 7, 2011 9:00 AM

Football fans, is half a season better than no season?

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/nfl-makes-contingency-plan-for-8-game-season.html

Yes. In our case absolutely. We're not challenging for anything anyway.

At least we'd get a chance to kick the tires on our new systems and head coach. Tebow needs the work. Our rooks don't need to be just sitting around for a season collecting rust.

SoCalBronco
06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Home: KC Jets NE Bears

Away: Minn SD KC Buff

If this happens these are the teams we'd play

Yeah I was reading something in the post about the proposed schedule where they noted we wouldn't even play Oakland once.

enjolras
06-08-2011, 12:07 AM
In an eight-game season you should play everyone in your division twice (6 games) and the normal top-two/bottom-two split from another division.

BroncoMan4ever
06-08-2011, 12:44 AM
in an 8 game season would any team really want the distinction of being able to claim a Super Bowl win?

in season awards would be meaningless. honestly if an 8 game season happened there is no point in it, and it would be better to wait until 2012.

Taco John
06-08-2011, 12:44 AM
In an eight-game season you should play everyone in your division twice (6 games) and the normal top-two/bottom-two split from another division.

I agree. If they're going to do this, they need to do it right, and that means make divisions count. It would be intense, that's for sure.

BroncoMan4ever
06-08-2011, 12:47 AM
doesn't it suck that the 1st time in quite a few seasons that Denver opens the season at home there more than likely isn't going to be football

ol#7
06-08-2011, 03:01 AM
Yeah, the big difference between this and 1982, is that in 82' the strike started after they had already played the first two weeks of the season. There was no real idea how many games would get cancelled and it was just assumed the season would pick up at some natural point. This proposal is just rotten. In 82, they were resuming a season, this is just a bad idea all the way around. Plus the football was awful after they came back in 82'. Either cancel the season or work it out, but dont give us a month of pre-season level football to determine the playoff order that the teams wont have faced enough competition to mean anything anyway.

ZONA
06-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Wow, we could lose even less games then last year and still get the #1 overall pick Hilarious!

OBF1
06-08-2011, 04:07 AM
Pass on a season. Even talking about this is a slap in the face to fans.

FireFly
06-08-2011, 05:50 AM
I'd rather the #2 pick in the next draft :)

Ratboy
06-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Yes. If anything, I'd rotate a bunch of players in and out to get a feel for the system they are about to run.

Would be a trial period to see who should stay and go.

Ratboy
06-08-2011, 06:22 AM
I'd rather the #2 pick in the next draft :)

You know we'd throw everything at Carolina for Luck.

Not always a bad thing..

BroncoInferno
06-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Not sure how I feel about this. Seems cheap to me in some way. I mean - how could anyone really respect the Superbowl winner in that situation? It would be a Superbowl trophy with an asterisk. But getting some football would be better than getting no football. Honestly, I just want to see Tebow take the field.

No one really puts an asterisk beside the Redskins championship following a 9 game regular season. This wouldn't be any different. Some football is better than none, IMO.

worm
06-08-2011, 07:18 AM
Pass on a season. Even talking about this is a slap in the face to fans.

Exactly. I feel like a guy in a NFL handout line, meekly grateful for anything they are willing to pity me with. And why? Because they can't solve a simple math problem due to greed. **** that!

For me it is either all or nothing. I will commit to not follow pro football at all this year if this is the best they can do.

oubronco
06-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Would they all make their millions? If so then its just another FU to the fans

HooptyHoops
06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
It just sounds dumb....yes, I want to watch football, but September and October are the best months of the year, due to football season....if there is no football for the first two months, I'll still watch in November, but I'm guessing the level of play would be very bad. Pure yuck!

jhns
06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
I wouldn't mind the eight games if it was that or nothing. We have a lot of young guys that need some exerience. It probably won't be a good thing that they take more than a year off from football.

TheReverend
06-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Bluffing

cmhargrove
06-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Yes. If anything, I'd rotate a bunch of players in and out to get a feel for the system they are about to run.

Would be a trial period to see who should stay and go.

This.

Let them fight over their dollars, I really don't care.

I would rather watch 8 games of Tebow and Vonn Miller than none.

primetime714
06-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Bluffing

Yea I agree. Although 8 games + playoffs at half salary wouldn't be a bad deal for the owners, so they may not be totally opposed to it if they can't get a favorable deal.

8 games would be better than none, but still isn't enough as you'd likely have tie breakers for the wild card spots. If we have to go shortened season though at least 10-12 games would be much better.

bronco militia
06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
16 teams made the playoffs in 1982.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1982/

bronco militia
06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
if the NFL expands the playoffs, I'm ok with the shortened season

HEAV
06-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Feels lame.

Los Broncos
06-08-2011, 10:48 AM
8,16 or 18 games, I really dont care at this point, just work it out.

footstepsfrom#27
06-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Yeah I was reading something in the post about the proposed schedule where they noted we wouldn't even play Oakland once.
This is all a bunch of idiocy. How bout a 4 game season? Play each division rival once and throw darts to break ties.

Ugh...tiresome.

Rabb
06-08-2011, 12:27 PM
8,16 or 18 games, I really dont care at this point, just work it out.

+1

TailgateNut
06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
How about "GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK" if ya can't get it together. **** this BS.

Kaylore
06-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I know it feels less cool, but would it feel less cool than no football at all? Answer: no. I wouldn't mind because we'd probably still suck and get right back to another set of high draft picks to turn this boat around. And I'd rather watch something than nothing.

TheReverend
06-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I know it feels less cool, but would it feel less cool than no football at all? Answer: no. I wouldn't mind because we'd probably still suck and get right back to another set of high draft picks to turn this boat around. And I'd rather watch something than nothing.

Yeah... to be quite honest, the majority of us were ready for the season to end around week 8 last year anyway thanks to McD's stellar on field product.

strafen
06-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Even an 8-game season doesn't make sense.
I'd rather go with no season.
That just goes to show you how greedy the owners are; if that's who are behind this.
If the league had the best interest of the fans at heart, they would push to have this resolved quickly...

OBF1
06-08-2011, 03:02 PM
What makes any of you think that there would even be an 8 game season??? Did I miss something or has some sort of agreement been agreed upon?

Either something gets worked out very soon or it will drag out and the entire season will be scrapped.

I have pretty much had enough of this crying between players/owners..... Bring on the college football season already.

TailgateNut
06-08-2011, 03:47 PM
What makes any of you think that there would even be an 8 game season??? Did I miss something or has some sort of agreement been agreed upon?

Either something gets worked out very soon or it will drag out and the entire season will be scrapped.

I have pretty much had enough of this crying between players/owners..... Bring on the college football season already.

Maybe if I paint a big ass portrait of Tebowski on the side of the RV I can get a few bucks for it as I "exit stage left".:wave:

OBF1
06-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Maybe if I paint a big ass portrait of Tebowski on the side of the RV I can get a few bucks for it as I "exit stage left".:wave:

If you had a portrait of Tim Tebow painted on your RV, You would turn it into a shrine after finally seeing the light and being touched by Tebow himself.ROFL!

cutthemdown
06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
I wont watch or spend money on an 8 game season. I will check the stats in the paper and that is about it.

SouthStndJunkie
06-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Weak sauce....I won't pay for the Sunday Ticket if there is an 8 game season, even with a prorated and discounted price.

eddie mac
06-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Let's hope some of these pricks start to feel the pinch soon.

"Keeping the lockout in place past August 1 will cost the NFL $350 million. Canceling the preseason would escalate to $1 billion lost. Both sides realize "the pie will shrink" if they don't strike a deal soon. July 15 is widely viewed as the deadline for a "normal" preseason to occur".

Kaylore
06-08-2011, 09:21 PM
You guys can hold your nose and pretend you're too good for an 8 game season, but you're all a bunch of liars. You'll watch. The NFL knows it too.

Aftermath
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't watch.

FireFly
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I'd watch it. But then I enjoy watching pre-season games. And for me, it would almost just feel like an extended preseason.

Our young guns need to play, especially Tebow because imo if he doesn't play this year he'll be sitting behind Luck next year.

strafen
06-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Weak sauce....I won't pay for the Sunday Ticket if there is an 8 game season, even with a prorated and discounted price.

8 games is utterly ridiculous. It's a joke, really.
There's so much money at stake here, they will ultimately come to an agreement that may or may not be what everybody was hoping for from the beginning. That's how things work out sometimes...

TailgateNut
06-09-2011, 12:15 PM
If you had a portrait of Tim Tebow painted on your RV, You would turn it into a shrine after finally seeing the light and being touched by Tebow himself.ROFL!

I got your "shrine" right here (grabbing hutzbahs).:wiggle: