PDA

View Full Version : E3

Doggcow
06-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Mass Effect has me all giddy with excitement.

Skyrim looks awesome. I'm really excited about it.

I wish I cared enough about soccer to get into FIFA because it seems like they're doing good things.

BF3 and MW3 both look awesome too.

Kaylore
06-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Are you at E3 or are you reading peoples' blogs?

Doggcow
06-06-2011, 01:28 PM
E3 is essentially on Spike.

They just live film all of the release trailers and stuff.

Archer81
06-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Spike and G4.

http://www.origin.com/

The site EA set up for the demos they showed. Some nice ones there. ME3, Battlefield 3, and The Old Republic look pretty sweet.

:Broncos:

HILife
06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Mass Effect has me all giddy with excitement.

Skyrim looks awesome. I'm really excited about it.

I wish I cared enough about soccer to get into FIFA because it seems like they're doing good things.

BF3 and MW3 both look awesome too.

Looking forward to Skyrim and Deus EX

El Guapo
06-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I was hoping Microsoft would push me towards buying a kinect with a good announcement. Guess I won't be purchasing one after all.

HILife
06-06-2011, 02:28 PM
I was hoping Microsoft would push me towards buying a kinect with a good announcement. Guess I won't be purchasing one after all.

Is there any reason to buy that thing. I haven't found one.

El Guapo
06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
I figured it would be a good way to get the wife involved in gaming; however, it remains a waste of money.

ant1999e
06-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Is there any reason to buy that thing. I haven't found one.

They have a great Zumba game. :wiggle:

Doggcow
06-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Are you serious? Nearly every game has Kinect announcements for it.

There's the Star Wars one that's almost entirely body controlled too.

Bronco Yoda
06-06-2011, 04:40 PM
E3 was better when it was in Vegas. Just saying... ;)

BroncoLifer
06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
From the subject line, I thought you were psyched at making Private First Class.

mkporter
06-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm interested to see what Nintendo has in store tomorrow. I don't have a lot of gaming time anymore, but when I do play, I'm a sucker for Mario/Zelda/Metroid. Nintendo marches to a different beat, so it's usually interesting to see what they are up to.

Rausch 2.0
06-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Ok, even more sure now I'm done with Madden.

Pontius Pirate
06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
BF3 won E3

Archer81
06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Ok, even more sure now I'm done with Madden.

EA lost me when they said they dont do big stages or celebrities then proceded to march out Ray Lewis, Clay Matthews and Peyton Hillis to announce Madden 12.

ME3, Battlefield 3, Need for Speed looked good though.

rugbythug
06-06-2011, 06:26 PM
Man I have been waiting for a kotor. Bout time. Crap it is MMO

Los Broncos
06-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Future Soilder is what I'm waiting for, BF3 looks awesome as well.

LRtagger
06-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Anything on AC Revelations?

KipCorrington25
06-06-2011, 06:44 PM
I had to listen to some Asian dude in skinny jeans talk about E3 for an hour sitting next to me at the DMV I'm over it.

Boobs McGee
06-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, the soon to be released engine powering this years best game

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RmPIxEFFCz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

El Guapo
06-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Wow. I think I'm going to pull my preorder for MW and put it into BF3. (The online pay stuff for MW is ridiculous.)

maven
06-07-2011, 10:37 AM
That Wii controller is friggin huge.

mkporter
06-07-2011, 10:52 AM
That Wii controller is friggin huge.

Yeah it is. It will be interesting to see how it is received, and what all they plan to do with it.

Pontius Pirate
06-07-2011, 11:00 AM
The Wii 2 (Wii U) is a joke. It's basically the Wii but with a tablet for a controller.

The whole Wii U presentation was about all the things you can do with the controller. They had NOTHING about the actual console being an improvement from the Wii. What a let-down. The gameplay they did show was the exact same quality as the Wii.

TheReverend
06-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah it is. It will be interesting to see how it is received, and what all they plan to do with it.

I don't even understand...

bronco militia
06-07-2011, 11:10 AM
http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/06/nintendo-e3-press-conference.html

Los Broncos
06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
MW3 gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOA5jmiWU_U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

maven
06-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I am really excited for Xbox Live TV. Sucks they couldn't tell us more about it. I guess they weren't able to get the contracts signed before E3.

Pontius Pirate
06-07-2011, 11:21 AM
MW3 gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOA5jmiWU_U&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm not a fanboy, but I really don't think this comes anywhere close to what we've seen of BF3 so far. This looks like bonus levels of MW2 at best.

Rigs11
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
The Wii 2 (Wii U) is a joke. It's basically the Wii but with a tablet for a controller.

The whole Wii U presentation was about all the things you can do with the controller. They had NOTHING about the actual console being an improvement from the Wii. What a let-down. The gameplay they did show was the exact same quality as the Wii.

umm.. go back and look at the zelda demo.

maven
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM

It straight bombed.

maven
06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
1. no discussion about their online.
2. the graphics aren't even on par with ps3/360
3. that controller, holy ****, it's huge.
4. the controller is not a portable system, it's just a streamer

WOW Nintendo, you **** the bed on this one.

Pontius Pirate
06-07-2011, 11:43 AM
umm.. go back and look at the zelda demo.

It looks better than the kiddie golf and baseball stuff they were showing (and othello or whatever that game was on the tablet), but still not even on par with what PS3 and 360 are doing right now.

The hype was all about Wii 2 being more powerful than PS3 and 360. That has shown to be false so far.

Doggcow
06-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Only worthwhile thing going for nintendo is DS right now.

DS freaking owns though.

Love me some RPG's

Los Broncos
06-07-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm not a fanboy, but I really don't think this comes anywhere close to what we've seen of BF3 so far. This looks like bonus levels of MW2 at best.

I agree, I'm kind of over the COD series, but people are going to buy it no matter what.

Chris
06-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Battlefield is making a huge leap where COD3 is just trying to get "bigger". Tough to advance from blowing up the entire world.

BF3 is where it's at for me. Other than that Journey is the only other game exciting me. A very depressing E3 this year.

Rigs11
06-07-2011, 12:57 PM
It looks better than the kiddie golf and baseball stuff they were showing (and othello or whatever that game was on the tablet), but still not even on par with what PS3 and 360 are doing right now.

The hype was all about Wii 2 being more powerful than PS3 and 360. That has shown to be false so far.

Too early to decide on the graphics side.looking at the zelda clip, i haven't seen anything like that on the 360/ps3.if you can't see that nintendo is once again revolutionizing the controllers you really are short sighted.it is ok to like more than one console you know.

mkporter
06-07-2011, 01:14 PM

It hasn't been shown to be false. It just hasn't been shown to be true. There is a difference.

mkporter
06-07-2011, 01:20 PM
From a tech demo of the Wii U:

The second major tech demonstration featured live footage of Japan, with a camera moving down a crowded street, hovering above vehicles. Like the hawk demo, the tablet was also featuring the footage shown on the television. But as I moved the new controller, I was able to see more of the city around me, without altering what was being shown on the larger screen. I could move the tablet upward to see the sky, or downward to see the street moving under me. Even more impressive, I could start to rotate the controller or "aim" it behind me to see where I had been. Pressing a button would also flip the portable display behind me, allowing me to see backwards similar to a rearview mirror. The potential for racing games with this sort of technology is truly impressive.

That is pretty cool tech. Nintendo has certainly **** the bed a few times, but I think it is way to early to make that call on Wii U at this point.

Kaylore
06-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm interested to see what Nintendo has in store tomorrow. I don't have a lot of gaming time anymore, but when I do play, I'm a sucker for Mario/Zelda/Metroid. Nintendo marches to a different beat, so it's usually interesting to see what they are up to.

Mario/Zelda/Metroid.

Those are very underrated even as lauded as they are. Going back to NES days, those franchises are Adamantium; Repeatedly spitting out epic game after epic game. Even their bad stuff is better than most other franchises who enjoy a few years and then implode.

Pontius Pirate
06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
It hasn't been shown to be false. It just hasn't been shown to be true. There is a difference.

Okay, fair enough. It may wind up being more powerful - they just failed to demonstrate that on the big stage. The Zelda stuff looks okay - everything else has underwhelmed.

mkporter
06-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Okay, fair enough. It may wind up being more powerful - they just failed to demonstrate that on the big stage. The Zelda stuff looks okay - everything else has underwhelmed.

I don't expect that they'll be graphically ahead of PS3/XBOX. From what I hear of the tablet interface though, it sounds like they could have some pretty interesting concepts lined up. Whether it works out or not, Nintendo has really tried to push out the boundaries of what video gaming is, and I find that to be pretty cool. PS3/XBOX have pushed the horsepower and capabilities farther, but have been less innovative, and seem to have less "vision" as to where video gaming should go. They do have some pretty sweet looking games though.

Rigs11
06-07-2011, 02:03 PM
if you just want great graphics get a gaming pc.

Chris
06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Mario/Zelda/Metroid.

Those are very underrated even as lauded as they are. Going back to NES days, those franchises are Adamantium; Repeatedly spitting out epic game after epic game. Even their bad stuff is better than most other franchises who enjoy a few years and then implode.

I think that's because they're (imo painfully) simple.

jhns
06-07-2011, 02:11 PM
if you just want great graphics get a gaming pc.

I have one. The problem is that consoles have gotten so big that they don't really make PC exclusives much anymore. Games just don't take advantage of what PCs can do. It is almost pointless to spend a lot of money on good equipment now.

Rigs11
06-07-2011, 02:30 PM
I have one. The problem is that consoles have gotten so big that they don't really make PC exclusives much anymore. Games just don't take advantage of what PCs can do. It is almost pointless to spend a lot of money on good equipment now.

i think that trend is switching, witcher 2, Skyrim..not to mention the mods that are available for pc games.I actually game on PC, xbox 360, and wii.of those three i think wii is the most inovative.

Archer81
06-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Nintendo's new "controller" looks like a joypad from collecovision. I missed their press conference because I was in Denver all day. Did Nintendo show any 3rd party games or was it all new controller all the time?

mkporter
06-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Nintendo's new "controller" looks like a joypad from collecovision. I missed their press conference because I was in Denver all day. Did Nintendo show any 3rd party games or was it all new controller all the time?

They didn't show much in the way of games, but they listed some pretty good support. Battlefield 3, Ghost Recon Online, Assassins Creed, Tekken, Darksiders II, Dirt, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Metro: Last Light, Ninja Gaiden 3. EA's president was a guest speaker at their press conference.

Rigs11
06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
<object id="vid_4dee7cfc3831c827240002e1" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/07/e3-2011-wii-u-zelda-hd-demo"/></object><div style="width:480px"><a href="http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/07/e3-2011-wii-u-zelda-hd-demo">More The Legend of Zelda U Videos</a></div>

Drek
06-08-2011, 10:20 AM
From a tech demo of the Wii U:

That is pretty cool tech. Nintendo has certainly **** the bed a few times, but I think it is way to early to make that call on Wii U at this point.

Sony tech demoed a lot of those same features several years ago with the PS3>PSP connection. Wouldn't surprise me at all if by the Wii U's launch they have the exact same features running for anyone with a PS3 and Vita (Sony's new handheld).

Rigs11
06-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Sony tech demoed a lot of those same features several years ago with the PS3>PSP connection. Wouldn't surprise me at all if by the Wii U's launch they have the exact same features running for anyone with a PS3 and Vita (Sony's new handheld).

yeah but vita itself is $250, then a ps3 is another $300. I doubt the wiiU is launched at more than $350.

mkporter
06-08-2011, 02:23 PM

You are probably right. No doubt Sony could put the tech together, but can they make it sing? Nintendo excels at developing for their own HW, this is where they can really innovate. They have problems frequently with 3rd party support, though. It will be interesting to see.

El Guapo
06-08-2011, 07:27 PM
They also admitted that all the in-game footage was jacked from 360 and PS3 consoles. What the h?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/nintendo-admits-its-wii-u-highlight-reel-was-spiced-up-with-ps3/

Doggcow
06-08-2011, 08:04 PM
They also admitted that all the in-game footage was jacked from 360 and PS3 consoles. What the h?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/nintendo-admits-its-wii-u-highlight-reel-was-spiced-up-with-ps3/

Lol wow.

Requiem
06-09-2011, 08:07 AM
I've slowly started becoming interested in technology again. Can't wait to get new stuff when I move. Was a huge Oblivion fan, so Skyrim is topping my list. Sold my 360 years ago because I had days logged into Oblivion. Battlefield looks great too. Wish I was still a student so I could get the free XBOX 360 with a purchase of a computer. Might need to give keesh to a friend to get that for me.

Jay3
06-09-2011, 09:46 AM
The Nintendo will be great if it's 1080p and has the horsepower to support the games at that level. The rest is up to getting the third party support from developers.

Cosmo
06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Anyone check out Dust 514?

http://www.dust514.com/en/home/

Have always enjoyed a good first person shooter until I get bored and the stupid achievements mean nothing but an icon or colored gun. This game you get to control what goes on in an MMO (EVE online). Pretty sweet.

Bronco Yoda
06-09-2011, 11:22 AM
The Nintendo will be great if it's 1080p and has the horsepower to support the games at that level. The rest is up to getting the third party support from developers.

More like it's up to Nintendo to supply good developers kits with complete fix'ns and good support and timely updates. It can take awhile for 3rd party developers to transition to next gens and to learn all the tricks. I don't know about now but Nintendo used to be notorious for sandbagging the first year of a new system.

Rock Chalk
06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Looking forward to Skyrim and Deus EX

They will never top the first Deus Ex

Jay3
06-09-2011, 01:28 PM
More like it's up to Nintendo to supply good developers kits with complete fix'ns and good support and timely updates. It can take awhile for 3rd party developers to transition to next gens and to learn all the tricks. I don't know about now but Nintendo used to be notorious for sandbagging the first year of a new system.

They're pretty great at their exclusive properties, and as you suggest pretty lagging on 3rd party development. They did a good job with RARE in the 1990's. But this time they will need to really invest in third party development.

And the controller gives something to build that relationship around.

Kaylore
06-09-2011, 01:37 PM
I think that's because they're (imo painfully) simple.

I disagree. I mean with the painfully part. I think games trying to do too much cause problems. They know what a player expects when they sit down with that franchise. Did you play any of the first person Metroid Games? They were outstanding and far from simple. There were a lot of new dynamics they explored while staying true to the spirit of the franchise. Same can be said of the Zelda series. I love them, but to each his own.

Chris
06-09-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm just over them. I played them when I was a kid. I have fond memories. I don't crave that kind of entertainment as an adult. I want experiences that most video games aren't giving me since my interests don't include zombies, fantasy, "generic" sci fi (liked dead space's art direction), protagonists on steroids or kiddie stuff like what nintendo has to offer. I'm looking for more than just "fun" in my games in the same way that movies offer this to me. Very few games have any emotional resonance for me.

I'm excited for Journey as something potentially innovative / evocative. That's the only really bold thing I see at the show this year.

Bronco Yoda
06-09-2011, 02:05 PM
They're pretty great at their exclusive properties, and as you suggest pretty lagging on 3rd party development. They did a good job with RARE in the 1990's. But this time they will need to really invest in third party development.

And the controller gives something to build that relationship around.

Yeah Rare was a second-party developer for them but really you could just consider them an inside production team for Nintendo IMO. They received the keys to the kingdom after they partnered up with them. They were a good match while it lasted. They did a great job with Golden Eye.

Drek
06-09-2011, 02:29 PM
yeah but vita itself is $250, then a ps3 is another $300. I doubt the wiiU is launched at more than $350.

Sure, and its an all in one solution so it'll have a more proven demographic on the Wii U. But if you were a developer making a Wii U game that actually took advantage of the new controller and Sony had a dev lib that let you quickly plug and play it into a PS3>Vita combo why the hell wouldn't you jump it over?

The PSP sold 70 million units. I'd bet that 85-90% of those people owned PS2s. I think the same could be said for the relationship of the Vita and the PS3. It'll be a very high ratio of Vita owners who also have a PS3 and would be more prone to buying a game that supported both over a game that didn't.

Also, my real point was that it isn't some kind of revolutionary tech. Its stuff that Sony has been working with in the very same product space for years now. Doesn't mean Nintendo won't do it better, just that it isn't them reinventing the wheel by any means.

Unfortunately by the time its out we'll probably be only a year or two away from PS4/Xbox720 releases. Not going to be real comfortable for Nintendo if come E3 2012 when they're showing off the Wii U launch games that look like solid up-ports of current gen titles running at 1080p and then Sony and/or MS are showing off a full fledged next generation system, due out holiday of 2013 or so.

Chris
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Unfortunately by the time its out we'll probably be only a year or two away from PS4/Xbox720 releases. Not going to be real comfortable for Nintendo if come E3 2012 when they're showing off the Wii U launch games that look like solid up-ports of current gen titles running at 1080p and then Sony and/or MS are showing off a full fledged next generation system, due out holiday of 2013 or so.

Pershmactly.

huh??
06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't expect that they'll be graphically ahead of PS3/XBOX. From what I hear of the tablet interface though, it sounds like they could have some pretty interesting concepts lined up. Whether it works out or not, Nintendo has really tried to push out the boundaries of what video gaming is, and I find that to be pretty cool. PS3/XBOX have pushed the horsepower and capabilities farther, but have been less innovative, and seem to have less "vision" as to where video gaming should go. They do have some pretty sweet looking games though.

I agree. Nintendo makes more efforts to innovate as opposed to being a "me too" company. Maybe not everything is a home run, but quite a few people seemed to be "pooh-pooh"-ing the original Wii controller, but look at what Sony ended up doing.

Doggcow
06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
I think it would be awesome to have minigames you could play on a portable handheld that then added to your profile in a game.

A la the card game in FF, and you can play it on your portable device then come back and collect everything when you get back home.

Would make games a lot more engrossing I think. Expand the experience.

Jay3
06-09-2011, 02:43 PM

If they're "solid up-ports of current gen titles" then the console wouldn't succeed in any scenario. The point is that the games sell the console, and this was an early sneak preview where launch titles are not available yet.

But if the hardware is state of the art under the hood, and the resolution is 1080p (TV's are not going to be standard beyond that within a year), and the controller technology is innovative (which it is), that's about all you can expect to know at this stage. People are judging this like it was an unveiling, instead of an announcement.

Jay3
06-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Smart move to have it use some of the existing Wii hardware.

Companies get tempted to force you to buy all new stuff to make money. But the other way to go is to get existing Wii users to think "I've already got some stuff, I'll get this console."

But then new users need to be able to get going easily as well, so it's a challenge.

Early reports are that it comes with only one tablet controller. It's sounding like that piece of it is going to be a big expense.

mhgaffney
06-09-2011, 09:20 PM
And to think I initially thought this was about quantitative easing -- or some kind of ebook.

Agamemnon
06-10-2011, 02:23 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how I find myself hating pretty much everything Nintendo does anymore. I mean are they serious about that controller? Really?

Pendejo
06-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Mario/Zelda/Metroid.

Yeah. I am playing through Twilight Princess on the Wii, and have played both New Super Mario Bros., and Super Mario Galaxy 2 a ton. I can easily play for two hours straight. The newest Donkey Kong was the same. They're all goofy as heck, but I get caught up in them.

TheReverend
06-10-2011, 09:56 AM
I think it would be awesome to have minigames you could play on a portable handheld that then added to your profile in a game.

A la the card game in FF, and you can play it on your portable device then come back and collect everything when you get back home.

Would make games a lot more engrossing I think. Expand the experience.

That's a really, REALLY good idea. Makes those pesky mini games and side quests more tolerable.

DemonEagles
06-10-2011, 10:08 AM
I still play the Wii alot. I don't game alot and I just want something simple and fun. I saw someone playing a crime game set in the 30's and it just looked like homework.

TheReverend
06-10-2011, 10:12 AM
I still play the Wii alot. I don't game alot and I just want something simple and fun. I saw someone playing a crime game set in the 30's and it just looked like homework.

Lol this.

bowtown
06-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Yeah. I am playing through Twilight Princess on the Wii, and have played both New Super Mario Bros., and Super Mario Galaxy 2 a ton. I can easily play for two hours straight. The newest Donkey Kong was the same. They're all goofy as heck, but I get caught up in them.

Twighlight Princess was one of my favorite games ever. I really wish they'd hurry up and come out with the new Zelda already.

Rigs11
06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Twighlight Princess was one of my favorite games ever. I really wish they'd hurry up and come out with the new Zelda already.

Skyward Sword comes out this fall!:thumbsup:

bowtown
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Skyward Sword comes out this fall!:thumbsup:

They've pushed that release back so many times, I'll believe it when I see it.

Drek
06-10-2011, 01:05 PM
They've pushed that release back so many times, I'll believe it when I see it.

Miyamoto said at E3 that the game is done, they're just bug testing and fine tuning in preparation for a fall release. It'll be the last major release on the Wii.

If they're "solid up-ports of current gen titles" then the console wouldn't succeed in any scenario. The point is that the games sell the console, and this was an early sneak preview where launch titles are not available yet.

But if the hardware is state of the art under the hood, and the resolution is 1080p (TV's are not going to be standard beyond that within a year), and the controller technology is innovative (which it is), that's about all you can expect to know at this stage. People are judging this like it was an unveiling, instead of an announcement.
The hardware won't be "state of the art" though. Even the most optimistic projections peg it about halfway between the PS3/360 and a solid mid-level gaming rig.

Compare that to the PS3 and 360, when they came out both Sony and MS sold them at a loss so they'd be close to a high end gaming rig of that time. Since then we've watched PC hardware grow by leaps and bounds.

Thats no Nintendo's game so you can't fault them for it, but they can't go into this new system trying to sell it on the hardware. Its a nice step up, but its not going to be a big enough step for your average PS3 or 360 owner to drop $300 extra for a slightly better looking version of CoD or Mass Effect. That will be even less likely when Sony and/or MS announce their new systems before the Wii U is even out.

I honestly feel like Nintendo rushed themselves into showing Wii U at this year's E3. They have no solid answers on system hardware, online infrastructure, and Ghost Recon was the only 3rd party title they had to show off. Even their big highlight trailer, Zelda, was a technical mock up, not an actual trailer for a Wii U Zelda game.

All this for a system they won't put on store shelves for probably about 18 months. Just seems to me like they could've waited until TGS and had a MUCH better initial showing.

UberBroncoMan
06-10-2011, 07:50 PM

This is false. The Wii U is more powerful than an Xbox 360 / PS3, though not by leaps and bounds.

I'd know, I was there.