PDA

View Full Version : Life of the flight attendant

Butterscotch Stallion
06-03-2011, 10:44 AM
I get nervous flying so the following made my day.

http://mobile.salon.com/travel/diary/hest/1999/04/13/passenger

"A few years ago on a United Airlines flight from Buenos Aires to New York, Gerard B. Finneran, an investment banker, went totally bonkers. Newspaper accounts said that after becoming intoxicated, Finneran demanded more alcohol from the flight attendants. When they refused, he began helping himself to the liquor supply. After being cut off a second time, he became visibly angry. He pushed one flight attendant (federal offense No. 1), verbally threatened another (federal offense No. 2), interfered with a third who was assisting a sick passenger (federal offense No. 3), then walked up to the first-class cabin, dropped his pants and defecated on a service cart in plain view of the passengers and crew. Then he stepped in his own feces and tracked it through the main cabin (federal offense Nos. 4, 5 and possibly 6).

During a full flight between New York and London, a passenger noticed that the sleeping man in the window seat looked a bit pale. Sensing that something was wrong yet not wanting to wake him, the concerned passenger alerted flight attendants, who soon determined that the sleeping man was actually dead. Apparently, he had died a few hours earlier because his body was completely cold. Horrified by the prospect of sitting next to a dead man, the passenger demanded another seat. But the flight was completely full; every single seat was occupied. Finally one flight attendant had an inspiration. She approached a uniformed military officer, and he agreed to sit next to the dead man for the duration of the flight. Finneran was arrested upon landing in New York. He subsequently pleaded guilty to assault and was sentenced to two years probation. In addition, he was given 300 hours of community service and a $5,000 fine and was ordered to pay more than $50,000 in restitution to the airline and to reimburse fellow passengers for the price of their tickets. (Not surprisingly, Finneran's lawyer said his client was "ill" when he committed the now infamous in-flight atrocity.)

Passengers on a flight from Miami to San Juan, Puerto Rico, were stunned by the actions of one deranged passenger. He walked to the rear of the plane, then charged up the aisle, slapping passengers' heads along the way. Next he kicked a pregnant flight attendant, who immediately fell to the ground. As if that weren't enough, he then bit a young boy on the arm. At this point the man was restrained and handcuffed by crew members. He was arrested upon arrival. Every one of the estimated 110,000 flight attendants currently flying in the United States has witnessed strange behavior in the air.

Occasionally, as in the case of Finneran, passenger misconduct exceeds all rational limits. Sometimes these in-flight incidents are violent; sometimes they're wickedly funny. Either way, the following examples will give you a better idea of what flight attendants put up with every day:

When bad weather closed the Dallas/Fort Worth airport for several hours, departing planes were stuck on the ground for the duration. One frustrated passenger, a young woman, walked up to a female flight attendant and said, "I'm sorry, but I have to do this." The passenger then punched the flight attendant in the face, breaking her nose.

A flight attendant returning to work after a double-mastectomy and a struggle with multiple sclerosis had a run-in with a disgruntled passenger. One of the last to board the plane, the passenger became enraged when there was no room in the overhead bin above his seat. He snatched the bags from the compartment and threw them on the floor, then put his own bag in the empty bin. After hearing angry cries from passengers, the flight attendant appeared from the galley to see what the fuss was all about. When the passengers explained what happened, she turned to the offending passenger. "Sir, you can't do that," she said. The passenger then rose from his seat and broke her jaw with one punch.

Seated side-by-side on a 14-hour overseas flight, two business-class passengers became romantically involved. At some point they began kissing and fondling each other while sitting in their seats. The passion became so intense that the couple began having sexual intercourse in their seats. Bewildered passengers immediately began ringing their flight attendant call buttons. Despite the flight attendants' urgent pleas, the couple refused to terminate their airborne lovemaking. Ultimately, the captain had to intervene. It was necessary for him to physically separate the lovers to get them to stop.

While a female flight attendant was serving food from the meal cart, a female passenger thrust a small bundle of trash toward her. "Take this," the passenger demanded. Realizing that the trash was actually a used baby diaper, the attendant instructed the passenger to take it to the lavatory herself and dispose of it. "No," the passenger replied. "You take it!" The attendant explained that she couldn't dispose of the dirty diaper because she was serving food -- handling the diaper would be unsanitary. But that wasn't a good enough answer for the passenger. Angered by her refusal, the passenger hurled the diaper at the flight attendant. It struck her square in the head, depositing chunks of baby dung that clung to her blond locks. The infuriated attendant leapt upon the passenger, strangling her until passengers could separate the two.

For some reason, a drunken passenger began throwing peanuts at a well-built man across the aisle. The man was sitting with his wife, minding his own business. When the first peanut hit him in the face, he ignored it. After the second peanut struck him, he looked up to see who had thrown it. He threw a harsh look at the perpetrator, expecting him to cease immediately. When a third peanut hit him in the eye, he'd had enough. "Do that again," he warned, "and I'll punch your lights out." But the peanut-tossing passenger couldn't resist. He did it one last time. The victim got out of his seat, then triple-punched the assailant so hard that witnesses heard his jaw break. The plane was diverted to the closest airport and the peanut-tosser was kicked off."

Chris
06-03-2011, 10:56 AM
That was good but what were you doing on salon.com?

DemonEagles
06-03-2011, 11:14 AM
I remember I had a bumpy ride from Toleto to KC I got off and I grabbed the Pilot and asked him "was that a landing or we're we shot down?"

DomCasual
06-03-2011, 11:15 AM
This one time, I asked for a pillow. The flight attendant said there weren't any pillows. But I knew where they were. As soon as she turned her back, I got not one, but two pillows.

It was awesome.

PRBronco
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
I like how they call it a triple punch. I'm going to make that my new special ability.

Butterscotch Stallion
06-03-2011, 11:29 AM
That was good but what were you doing on salon.com?

Forwarded to me by a friend. What's your beef with Salon.com?

That One Guy
06-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Not gonna say the attendants deserve it but if they worked in an industry that didn't suck so much, they'd probably have less angry passengers.

alkemical
06-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Not gonna say the attendants deserve it but if they worked in an industry that didn't suck so much, they'd probably have less angry passengers.

and/or "crazy" (instead of angry).

cutthemdown
06-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Basically airlines all lose money. Why is this? Is this an industry that just can't make money in the long term? Also I bet cab drivers see more crap. When you work in a travel or transportation industry you will see all sorts of craziness.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-03-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't quite understand why people hate the airline industry. Do we need to post that Louis CK clip again?

Tombstone RJ
06-03-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't quite understand why people hate the airline industry. Do we need to post that Louis CK clip again?

I'll tell you why: they overbook, they underserve and they are now nickle and diming passengers to death. It used to be fun to fly, now it's a nightmare. You'd think the big airline companies would get better at their service but they are getting worse at it. Couple that with assinine passengers who themselves suck and it's a big mess.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I'll tell you why: they overbook, they underserve and they are now nickle and diming passengers to death. It used to be fun to fly, now it's a nightmare. You'd think the big airline companies would get better at their service but they are getting worse at it. Couple that with assinine passengers who themselves suck and it's a big mess.

I've actually had the opposite experience. I think prices are still fairly low for the service provided (its still an amazingly cool technology to me), these companies just dont make much money, so doing things like charging for bags isnt the biggest deal to me...plus, they offer rewards programs that, for some reason, people dont take advantage of. Im a delta elite member...i never have to pay for my bags, i get free access to the club, and accumlating FF miles is incredibly easy as they are always offering deals to get them. I automatically get upgraded if its avail and have enjoyed lots of free service simply because i filled out a form once to make me a skymiles member.

The major airports, degualle excluded, have gotten better about moving security lines along (even though airports are probably the most oversecure places on the planet), and i just find the entire experience ...fun!

Its like when people complain about US mail. If you had no knowledge of the system, and i asked you how much you think it would take for someone to pick up a letter from your home and hand deliver it across the country in a matter of 3 days, my guess is you'd think it costs a LOT more than 44 cents.

DomCasual
06-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Yep. And they're not bleeding money now, like they were.

I have almost two million miles with Delta. Yet, I will fly Southwest every time I can. They have it figured out, as far as I'm concerned.

gyldenlove
06-03-2011, 12:13 PM

Things I don't like about flying:

1. Passengers, people who can't shut the hell up or bring small children or bump into every single person sitting in the aisle seats when they walk to the bathroom. I ****ing hate passengers.

2. Boarding, I stand in line for 20 minutes to check in, then I stand in line for 30 minutes outside the plane to board and another 30 minutes inside waiting for old slow fat people to sit their asses down. You should always board a plane from the back, whoever is in the last row goes first, then the 2nd last etc.

3. Food, either serve up some real food or give me the option of buying a bigmac or some such.

4. Garbage, come take that **** away, I don't want my empty food tray standing in front of me for an hour, I have long legs and I need the space.

5. Tell me what the **** is going on. If we fly through heavy turbulence for an hour, I want to know why the hell the captain isn't climbing or changing course to avoid it. If the plane is not taking off for half an hour tell me why.

alkemical
06-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't do any baggage checks, when i can - i just mail my **** to my hotel.

Tombstone RJ
06-03-2011, 12:16 PM
I've actually had the opposite experience. I think prices are still fairly low for the service provided (its still an amazingly cool technology to me), these companies just dont make much money, so doing things like charging for bags isnt the biggest deal to me...plus, they offer rewards programs that, for some reason, people dont take advantage of. Im a delta elite member...i never have to pay for my bags, i get free access to the club, and accumlating FF miles is incredibly easy as they are always offering deals to get them. I automatically get upgraded if its avail and have enjoyed lots of free service simply because i filled out a form once to make me a skymiles member.

The major airports, degualle excluded, have gotten better about moving security lines along (even though airports are probably the most oversecure places on the planet), and i just find the entire experience ...fun!

Its like when people complain about US mail. If you had no knowledge of the system, and i asked you how much you think it would take for someone to pick up a letter from your home and hand deliver it across the country in a matter of 3 days, my guess is you'd think it costs a LOT more than 44 cents.

The big airlines suck when it comes to anyone who doesn't fly out of a major hub. When that happens (I always have to fly out of smaller regional airports) the pricing becomes stooopid. Then they don't have direct flights so they route you through a big hub like Chicago or Dallas or Denver and now you have to meet a connecting flight and most of the time flights are delayed and most of the time overbooked. It's just a hassel.

crawdad
06-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Yep. And they're not bleeding money now, like they were.

I have almost two million miles with Delta. Yet, I will fly Southwest every time I can. They have it figured out, as far as I'm concerned.

I fly Southwest every chance I get. They do have it figured out!

SonOfLe-loLang
06-03-2011, 12:18 PM
The big airlines suck when it comes to anyone who doesn't fly out of a major hub. When that happens (I always have to fly out of smaller regional airports) the pricing becomes stooopid. Then they don't have direct flights so they route you through a big hub like Chicago or Dallas or Denver and now you have to meet a connecting flight and most of the time flights are delayed and most of the time overbooked. It's just a hassel.

Thats probably true...i live in a major city and generally only fly to major cities, so i dont have to deal with that. Plus, 4 recent flights had me seated next to insanely hot women, including 2 models. Perhaps thats why im so happy to fly these days :)

DomCasual
06-03-2011, 12:20 PM

Man, this whole post is crazy-talk. It's highlighted by the last sentence in the middle paragraph. Fun? Are you crazy? It's as fun as a root canal - especially when you travel with kids.

The airlines are making money again; so at this point, new fees are just gravy.

And obviously, you couldn't deliver your own mail for $.44. But that's the same with literally everything you buy. That said, the post office is broken. And contrary to some popular belief, it's not going away soon. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it, but it can't keep losing money.

I used to roll up miles with Delta. It was out of control - they gave me miles for everything. Travelling then was kind of fun - prior to 9/11. I read a couple books a week, and got almost a free flight a week (literally). One year, I hit Platinum Medallion on February 15th. It almost ruined my marriage, but I digress.

Beantown Bronco
06-03-2011, 12:31 PM
I haven't flown, nor had a need to fly, anywhere in 7 years. The airlines can all suck it as far as I'm concerned. Easier, cheaper, less stressful and often quicker just to drive.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Man, this whole post is crazy-talk. It's highlighted by the last sentence in the middle paragraph. Fun? Are you crazy? It's as fun as a root canal - especially when you travel with kids.

The airlines are making money again; so at this point, new fees are just gravy.

And obviously, you couldn't deliver your own mail for $.44. But that's the same with literally everything you buy. That said, the post office is broken. And contrary to some popular belief, it's not going away soon. I'm not sure what needs to be done to fix it, but it can't keep losing money.

I used to roll up miles with Delta. It was out of control - they gave me miles for everything. Travelling then was kind of fun - prior to 9/11. I read a couple books a week, and got almost a free flight a week (literally). One year, I hit Platinum Medallion on February 15th. It almost ruined my marriage, but I digress.

Well, the post office is "broken" because they need for physical mail just doesnt exist anymore. So, of course, they are going to lose a ton of money because their service isnt necessary.

As far as the airlines are concerned, i still feel its a relatively cheap way to travel, though i can imagine flying with kids sucks...i assume taking kids anywhere makes mundane things into hassles. Perhaps ive just been REALLY lucky in my flight experiences or maybe im just really laid back. But i enjoy the experience.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I haven't flown, nor had a need to fly, anywhere in 7 years. The airlines can all suck it as far as I'm concerned. Easier, cheaper, less stressful and often quicker just to drive.

Hard to drive to Europe

RhymesayersDU
06-03-2011, 12:45 PM

FWIW, The Wall Street Journal tweeted this the other day:

@WSJ Avg ticket price on Southwest has jumped 39% over 5 years.

I'm a big SW guy, I have the rapid rewards credit card and all that... But it does make you think about the whole "bags fly free" thing... They probably don't.

DomCasual
06-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Well, the post office is "broken" because they need for physical mail just doesnt exist anymore. So, of course, they are going to lose a ton of money because their service isnt necessary.

As far as the airlines are concerned, i still feel its a relatively cheap way to travel, though i can imagine flying with kids sucks...i assume taking kids anywhere makes mundane things into hassles. Perhaps ive just been REALLY lucky in my flight experiences or maybe im just really laid back. But i enjoy the experience.

Well, to start off, I have a common name that just happens to be on the no fly list. So, Sky Cap is all but impossible, because they have to go inside to check, anyway.

And as far as the USPS goes, I will admit it's less necessary than it was. But it's still great for certain things - some of which don't have current, practical alternatives.

Chris
06-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Forwarded to me by a friend. What's your beef with Salon.com?

Thought it was a girls website about hair.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
06-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Southwest always does me right, as does Frontier. After my last trip to NYC, I'm excited about flying Delta again (they were very upfront about delays, made sure we met our connections, really took care of us) and have sworn for the final time that I will never ever fly United again. Talk about nickel and diming. Those ****ing idiots SHOULD have it figured out by now -- they've been around long enough -- but they don't.

Mr. Elway
06-03-2011, 01:27 PM
1. Passengers, people who can't shut the hell up or bring small children or bump into every single person sitting in the aisle seats when they walk to the bathroom. I ****ing hate passengers.

I enjoy observing people's reactions when I bring my small child on planes - something I, like any sane person, would obviously rather avoid but sometimes can't. Most people, especially those who have had kids, could care less if he fusses a bit. They are empathetic and want to talk to you and help the little guy stay happy. Others gets visibly ridden with anxiety; they fidget, whisper or look at you. My favorite is the glare - like after carrying a small kid through the airport, dealing with security, feeding him and changing him from carry-on baggage, and hoping the crowds and air pressure doesn't bother him too much, I'm bothered in the least if someone else feels slightly inconvenienced for 30 minutes of the flight. Bring headphones.

I used to be you, now I'm that guy. :wave:

zdoor
06-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Ditto

Chris
06-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Which domestic carrier has the hottest flight attendants

Hottest international carrier was Thai airways

Requiem
06-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Cheaper to drive? With four buck a gallon gas? Bogus. Minneapolis to Denver one way, less than 150$ on Southwest. Frontier even has deals. Gas in a car for that trip would take around double that.

Fedaykin
06-03-2011, 01:50 PM
I enjoy observing people's reactions when I bring my small child on planes - something I, like any sane person, would obviously rather avoid but sometimes can't. Most people, especially those who have had kids, could care less if he fusses a bit. They are empathetic and want to talk to you and help the little guy stay happy. Others gets visibly ridden with anxiety; they fidget, whisper or look at you. My favorite is the glare - like after carrying a small kid through the airport, dealing with security, feeding him and changing him from carry-on baggage, and hoping the crowds and air pressure doesn't bother him too much, I'm bothered in the least if someone else feels slightly inconvenienced for 30 minutes of the flight. Bring headphones.

I fly frequently -- and "that guy/girl" is always on the plane. I agree with you though -- people get way too uptight about kids -- and not just in planes.

The only thing that *really* pisses me off is the parents who can't make their darling little hellions not kick at my seat =P or the ones who failed to make their children bathe in the last 6 months. Other than that... kids are kids. When they're upset they're going to cry. When they're bored their going to try to entertain themselves. If you can't handle it, then stick to strip clubs (and other fine establishments! ;) ) where children simply aren't allowed =P

DomCasual
06-03-2011, 01:58 PM

I am, too. I always try and say something friendly to people I see genuinely trying to calm upset kids. And I've been downright rude to people who I have seen be critical of parents with kids. There is only so much a parent can do to calm their child - especially if the child has trouble regulating his ear pressure. People need to lighten up a little.

alkemical
06-03-2011, 01:59 PM
****, give those kids some whiskey.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-03-2011, 02:03 PM
I am, too. I always try and say something friendly to people I see genuinely trying to calm upset kids. And I've been downright rude to people who I have seen be critical of parents with kids. There is only so much a parent can do to calm their child - especially if the child has trouble regulating his ear pressure. People need to lighten up a little.

On my last flight, i reached my seat to notice a 9 month old child and immediately rolled my eyes...until i looked up and saw his hottie of a mother (but thats beside the point). During this experience, there was a moment i realized the hassle of traveling with a small child. I noticed the Mom trying to sift through her bag with one hand, while holding the baby with the other. I offered to hold the kid for a second while she did that, to which she accepted with great relief, and provided her probably her first minute in over 3 or 4 hours where she had use of both her hands. You shoulda seen the joy that minute of "freedom" gave her.

Butterscotch Stallion
06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Which domestic carrier has the hottest flight attendants

Hottest international carrier was Thai airways

Virgin Atlantic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/08/virgin-atlantic-hottest-flight-attendants-sexy-survey_n_820343.html

alkemical
06-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Virgin Atlantic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/08/virgin-atlantic-hottest-flight-attendants-sexy-survey_n_820343.html

Is your username a "My little pony" name?

Butterscotch Stallion
06-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Is your username a "My little pony" name?

Duh, of course it is.

DomCasual
06-03-2011, 02:22 PM
On my last flight, i reached my seat to notice a 9 month old child and immediately rolled my eyes...until i looked up and saw his hottie of a mother (but thats beside the point). During this experience, there was a moment i realized the hassle of traveling with a small child. I noticed the Mom trying to sift through her bag with one hand, while holding the baby with the other. I offered to hold the kid for a second while she did that, to which she accepted with great relief, and provided her probably her first minute in over 3 or 4 hours where she had use of both her hands. You shoulda seen the joy that minute of "freedom" gave her.

Did you get a phone number afterwards?

SonOfLe-loLang
06-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Did you get a phone number afterwards?

Nah, she was married...but ive gotten 3 numbers on flights the past 2 years. One was a sociopath (oh did i love her), one i went out with a few times but it didnt work out, one never called back.

OABB
06-03-2011, 03:12 PM
According to req, flight attendants are stupid and have no goals in life. Just thought it was a fascinating observation.

Broncofan_H
06-03-2011, 04:28 PM

I have been "that guy" as well with our 3 kids on the way to a funeral. I'm glad they didn't act like Jeffrey here.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fs0cYJUqJys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs0cYJUqJys

Archer81
06-03-2011, 04:34 PM
I was on a business trip to Louisville, KY a few summers ago. Right before 4th of July, so the planes are packed. My flight from KY into Chicago was late, and the concourse we landed at is shaped like a U. Where our plane got off would be the tip of the left upright in the U. The plane leaving was in the right upright in the U. 20 minutes to get there.

For the record, I hate Chicago O Hare airport. Having run through it to just narrowly miss a connecting flight to Denver on 4th of July weekend made me hate it more. ****ing airport. Never again.

:Broncos:

That One Guy
06-03-2011, 05:06 PM
One of the worst things I hate about the airlines is how you have no options once you buy; they have you by the balls. I don't know the last time I've flown when I didn't either miss a connecting flight or have to sprint through an airport to catch it.

Now, if you miss a flight whether it's your fault or there's, they'll see what they can do. Missed a flight because your first one was delayed? You're on your own, hopefully they just happen to have a seat available later that day. And god forbid your flight goes through Newark for anything and you don't have a 4 hour layover.

A few years ago I was going from KY back to Seattle for a wedding on a four day weekend. We were flying out day 1, flying back day 4. While waiting in KY with great weather and knowing Seattle has fine weather, we get our flight cancelled. Why? Cleveland had bad weather. I was neither flying from nor to nor through Cleveland but it turned out the plane I needed was stuck in Cleveland. What was their answer? Try again tomorrow, nothing we can do, it's a weather delay. Everyone in Cleveland could've had the plague and then the city got nuked and I wouldn't have given a **** but my entire weekend was screwed because of bad weather in Cleveland. What could I do? At that point, it almost wasn't worth it to go because the wedding was on day 2. I couldn't ask for a refund. They wouldn't offer compensation. I couldn't try a different airline.

Until they face some consequences for having crappy service, they'll have no reason to change any policies. They can keep f'ing the passengers more and more and you have nothing you can do - sometimes air travel is the only practical answer.

Tombstone RJ
06-03-2011, 05:49 PM
One of the worst things I hate about the airlines is how you have no options once you buy; they have you by the balls. I don't know the last time I've flown when I didn't either miss a connecting flight or have to sprint through an airport to catch it.

Now, if you miss a flight whether it's your fault or there's, they'll see what they can do. Missed a flight because your first one was delayed? You're on your own, hopefully they just happen to have a seat available later that day. And god forbid your flight goes through Newark for anything and you don't have a 4 hour layover.

A few years ago I was going from KY back to Seattle for a wedding on a four day weekend. We were flying out day 1, flying back day 4. While waiting in KY with great weather and knowing Seattle has fine weather, we get our flight cancelled. Why? Cleveland had bad weather. I was neither flying from nor to nor through Cleveland but it turned out the plane I needed was stuck in Cleveland. What was their answer? Try again tomorrow, nothing we can do, it's a weather delay. Everyone in Cleveland could've had the plague and then the city got nuked and I wouldn't have given a **** but my entire weekend was screwed because of bad weather in Cleveland. What could I do? At that point, it almost wasn't worth it to go because the wedding was on day 2. I couldn't ask for a refund. They wouldn't offer compensation. I couldn't try a different airline.

Until they face some consequences for having crappy service, they'll have no reason to change any policies. They can keep f'ing the passengers more and more and you have nothing you can do - sometimes air travel is the only practical answer.

this is a classic case of fail by the airlines and not uncommon.

Jay3
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Too much flying going on. I wish they would jack ticket prices up and fly less flights. Driving should be acceptable, and we should communicate long-distance more to get business done.

Beantown Bronco
06-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Cheaper to drive? With four buck a gallon gas? Bogus. Minneapolis to Denver one way, less than 150$ on Southwest. Frontier even has deals. Gas in a car for that trip would take around double that.

I assume this is directed at me. It is not bogus. I've done the math. Whatever number you come up with for airfare, you have to multiply by 4 for me, the wife and kids. So your $150 just turned into $600 for just one way. And Southwest doesn't have anything close to that kind of $ out of Logan for any desirable vacation spots.

Of course I haven't had a need to go anywhere further than the South Jersey/Philadelphia area in the last 7 years, so that has helped. But the fact remains, it is cheaper for me to drive given the costs involved (family of four that all would need their own seat + luggage fees, etc.), even if we're talking Disney World or just Florida in general.

And, since you mention it: Four dollar a gallon gas? Not here, outside of that two week period about a month ago.....but I didn't need to go anywhere out of state so no biggie. Try $2.50-$3.00 on average over the last 7 years. Currently $3.50. And both my cars get over 30 mpg easy on a road trip.

That One Guy
06-03-2011, 09:18 PM
I assume this is directed at me. It is not bogus. I've done the math. Whatever number you come up with for airfare, you have to multiply by 4 for me, the wife and kids. So your $150 just turned into $600 for just one way. And Southwest doesn't have anything close to that kind of $ out of Logan for any desirable vacation spots.

Of course I haven't had a need to go anywhere further than the South Jersey/Philadelphia area in the last 7 years, so that has helped. But the fact remains, it is cheaper for me to drive given the costs involved (family of four that all would need their own seat + luggage fees, etc.), even if we're talking Disney World or just Florida in general.

And, since you mention it: Four dollar a gallon gas? Not here, outside of that two week period about a month ago.....but I didn't need to go anywhere out of state so no biggie. Try $2.50-$3.00 on average over the last 7 years. Currently $3.50. And both my cars get over 30 mpg easy on a road trip.

His opinion had to be based on a single traveler. Once you get more than one, it generally does not pay off to fly just about anywhere.

maven
06-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Virgin Atlantic

Why yes, they look splendid. From my experiences, I would say VA as well.

maven
06-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Things I don't like about flying:

2. Boarding, I stand in line for 20 minutes to check in, then I stand in line for 30 minutes outside the plane to board and another 30 minutes inside waiting for old slow fat people to sit their asses down. You should always board a plane from the back, whoever is in the last row goes first, then the 2nd last etc.

3. Food, either serve up some real food or give me the option of buying a bigmac or some such.

4. Garbage, come take that **** away, I don't want my empty food tray standing in front of me for an hour, I have long legs and I need the space.

5. Tell me what the **** is going on. If we fly through heavy turbulence for an hour, I want to know why the hell the captain isn't climbing or changing course to avoid it. If the plane is not taking off for half an hour tell me why.

Note to self. Do not fly with this guy.

huh??
06-03-2011, 10:25 PM

There are a lot of costs and factors that go into the airfare for each seat. In the early 90's, I worked for TWA, and an example they told us just for fuel costs was that a nonstop flight from New York to Los Angeles on a 747 would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $35,000. Just fuel. To operate X-number of gates at an airport can have huge fees (especially the major airports), then there's advertising, maintenance, employee costs, covering the unforseen (hotel stays, lost luggage, damaged items, lightning strikes, etc), lawsuits, support services, provisionals, and other things I can't think of at the moment. Imagine fuel costs now.

The FAA also makes for headaches that the airlines have to absorb. When you're sitting on the runway for 45 minutes, there's usually a safety reason involved. If this country wasn't so litigation happy, a lot of things in life would be more enjoyable for the "average" consumer. Look around on your next flight and see how many people actually turn their cell phone completely off like they're supposed to. There may be a 1/1million chance that interference from a phone might cause equipment problems, but if it happens, the a$$hole that caused it isn't likely to fess up and will probably join in the lawsuit.

There are so many costs and expenses that go into operating an airline that it's amazing that any are running at all.

DHallblows
06-04-2011, 12:11 AM
It's about time someone posts this. It was mentioned earlier, but nobody got around to posting it.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-LkusicUL2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That One Guy
06-04-2011, 07:16 AM
There are a lot of costs and factors that go into the airfare for each seat. In the early 90's, I worked for TWA, and an example they told us just for fuel costs was that a nonstop flight from New York to Los Angeles on a 747 would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $35,000. Just fuel. To operate X-number of gates at an airport can have huge fees (especially the major airports), then there's advertising, maintenance, employee costs, covering the unforseen (hotel stays, lost luggage, damaged items, lightning strikes, etc), lawsuits, support services, provisionals, and other things I can't think of at the moment. Imagine fuel costs now.

The FAA also makes for headaches that the airlines have to absorb. When you're sitting on the runway for 45 minutes, there's usually a safety reason involved. If this country wasn't so litigation happy, a lot of things in life would be more enjoyable for the "average" consumer. Look around on your next flight and see how many people actually turn their cell phone completely off like they're supposed to. There may be a 1/1million chance that interference from a phone might cause equipment problems, but if it happens, the a$$hole that caused it isn't likely to fess up and will probably join in the lawsuit.

There are so many costs and expenses that go into operating an airline that it's amazing that any are running at all.

I'm one that would personally like everything to be upfront. I wish they'd include the cost of a waitress in my meal when I go out and I wish they'd just make the flight stress free and simplify it. Quit overbooking, make plans if it looks like weather is going to hit, be held responsible for contingency plans if a flight is cancelled, don't charge me for an f'ing pillow or a $.30 pair of headphones, etc. Make a good industry and charge what it's worth. Yes, the prices would initially be more but we'd get used to it. If nothing else, offer this slightly higher priced airline, publicize it as a better experience than the lowest price airline on Expedia, and go forth. There's no alternative though - you're gonna be crammed in and miserable whoever you fly with.

That One Guy
06-04-2011, 07:25 AM
It's about time someone posts this. It was mentioned earlier, but nobody got around to posting it.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-LkusicUL2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

While most of it holds true... an hour delay is annoying but doesn't touch on how bad the industry can be.

If I went to the Dr and he didn't come out to see me for an hour after my appt time, I would strongly consider getting up and leaving unless I was there for something serious. If it were just a checkup, I might leave. If I drop off my car to get an oil change because they say they can do it at a particular time and I'm waiting an hour and they still haven't taken it in, I can get up and leave and not owe them anything. The airlines, however, can delay you an hour... four hours... a day.. whatever they feel like and you'll never be able to leave. You're at their mercy. Hardly an underappreciation of technology, it's just a disgust with an industry built on not serving the customer.

rmsanger
06-04-2011, 09:30 AM
In for some sex with stewardess stories!

Tombstone RJ
06-04-2011, 09:43 AM

I'm sure it is expensive to operate an airline, that being said, some of the management decisions airplane companies make are just moronic. SW Airlines knows how to operate and they do some basic things to make sure they are profitable. One of the things they do is fly one model of jet. That's it, that is all they fly and this alone probably saves them millions in operational costs. They also refuse to take routes that are already saturated with other carriers. They know that screwing the other guy is not going to make them more profitable. They also refuse to pay exorbitant gate fees and this is one reason SW refused to fly out of DIA and Colorado Springs for so long. They didn't want to pay the stupid gate fee costs that those airports insisted on. I'm not sure what changed, but I knew a (SW) pilot from Colorado Springs back in the mid 1990s and he told me that this was part of the reason they didn't fly out of DIA.

DHallblows
06-04-2011, 10:11 AM
While most of it holds true... an hour delay is annoying but doesn't touch on how bad the industry can be.

If I went to the Dr and he didn't come out to see me for an hour after my appt time, I would strongly consider getting up and leaving unless I was there for something serious. If it were just a checkup, I might leave. If I drop off my car to get an oil change because they say they can do it at a particular time and I'm waiting an hour and they still haven't taken it in, I can get up and leave and not owe them anything. The airlines, however, can delay you an hour... four hours... a day.. whatever they feel like and you'll never be able to leave. You're at their mercy. Hardly an underappreciation of technology, it's just a disgust with an industry built on not serving the customer.

I understand what you're saying about being locked into the price.

As far as the metaphor, your doctor probably doesn't deal with 3,500 different cases a day...

OABB
06-04-2011, 10:26 AM
In for some sex with stewardess stories!

Every time i have sex its with a flight attendant!

Requiem
06-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Flight of a homo.

Jetmeck
06-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Damn airlines. Everytime you fill up just think about them damn greedy airlines.
There has been years where they spend an EXTRA 800 million on fuel. Just one Airline I happen to work for. They can't get together to set prices because it is illegal unlike the oil companies/gas refineries who do. Blame big oil, not airlines for price increases. They are just trying to survive.

That One Guy
06-04-2011, 12:47 PM
I understand what you're saying about being locked into the price.

As far as the metaphor, your doctor probably doesn't deal with 3,500 different cases a day...

Agreed.

In essence, we're so dependent on air travel that the demand aspect really has no limits. Whatever they do to us, we have to give in and fly so we'll put mud in our wounds and ask for another round. We know that, they know that, and there really isn't another answer around that.

I would absolutely love it if train travel could ever take off. An alternative to flying and who cares if it takes a few hours longer, a travel day is already a wasted day.

That One Guy
06-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Damn airlines. Everytime you fill up just think about them damn greedy airlines.
There has been years where they spend an EXTRA 800 million on fuel. Just one Airline I happen to work for. They can't get together to set prices because it is illegal unlike the oil companies/gas refineries who do. Blame big oil, not airlines for price increases. They are just trying to survive.

Do it like cruise ships do. If gas goes above X, gas fee will be charged.

Fuel doesn't excuse the headache they've become.

Bronco Yoda
06-04-2011, 02:01 PM

I needed that. We all need to watch this from time to time. I was in a bad mood this morning because I'm stuck inside. Too smokey outside from a fire off in the distance.

So I'm stuck inside with Air conditioning! Cold air that magically continues to blow down upon me. And it's filtered!

Sitting on a leather recliner. Something I didn't have to skin myself... and it goes all the way back with the touch of a button!

... watching tv! 500 Channels! But I still can't find anything! oh the travesty... but there's a movie I'm thinking about ordering. I think I'll just click a button here. No I didn't have to get in my car and go down to BlockBusters and wait in line and fumble for my membership card. Only to get home to find out the VCR tame is jammed!

And this netbook on my lap reading things around the world with the press of the button.

Ooops I missed something on the tube while typing this drivel. But wait... I'll just REWIND the tv a bit. Imagine doing that a few years ago.

LOLHa! Life is good. I should relax.

Damn it all to hell. Now I have to get up to refresh my bevarge. The ice melted!!!!!!

Mr. Elway
06-04-2011, 07:46 PM
It's actually pretty cool to see how nice most people are when you are travelling with a kid. I was fully prepared to be the guy that everyone on the flight hates, but it's far more the exception than the rule. One of many reasons why having kids gives you a little bit more faith in humanity.

huh??
06-05-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm one that would personally like everything to be upfront. I wish they'd include the cost of a waitress in my meal when I go out and I wish they'd just make the flight stress free and simplify it. Quit overbooking, make plans if it looks like weather is going to hit, be held responsible for contingency plans if a flight is cancelled, don't charge me for an f'ing pillow or a $.30 pair of headphones, etc. Make a good industry and charge what it's worth. Yes, the prices would initially be more but we'd get used to it. If nothing else, offer this slightly higher priced airline, publicize it as a better experience than the lowest price airline on Expedia, and go forth. There's no alternative though - you're gonna be crammed in and miserable whoever you fly with.

I know what you mean. The biggest problem with a lot of those things is the customers themselves. The airlines overbook because there's a statistical matrix that shows them what percentage of passengers will cancel or try to change their reservation, or simply not show up. As a business, you would want to have each flight filled with as many paying passengers as possible, or at least enough to cover operational costs for that flight. If a particular market has a 50-60% cancel/change rate and most of your paying passengers bought their fare at least 21 days in advance for the least expensive rate; it's possible that you'll be flying that route at a significant loss. How many flights a day does the typical airline operate? Of course, the problem gets bad real fast if all of your reserved passengers show up... I think that there are probably quite a few different industries that have to factor in similar issues. How many nights a week do restaurants have reservations that don't show up?

Weather in one city could be completely different than in another. Your flight could be nonstop, but the plane you get on likely came from somewhere else and could be grounded for weather anywhere along its flight plan for safety reasons. In a significant market, some airlines have been able to get a reserve aircraft or pull one out of maintenance to make a flight happen, but it's probably not often feasible.

The problem with blankets, pillows and other amenities that used to be pretty standard are likely because of people, again. Replacement costs were probably something that the airline industry discovered they could significantly reduce if the came a lot closer to eliminating the potential for loss. I know that when I used to fly in the late 80's, early 90's that I "somehow" ended up with a few airline pillows and blankets at home. Much like how typical hotels used to have nicer linens and towels instead of some now that seem almost disposable.

I'm not trying to defend the airline industry; but it is a business, and there's a huge backside potential for losing money that's easy to overlook by the average consumer because that person doesn't likely have flying as a common occurrence for them.