PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Colorado....

dbfan4life
06-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Hey everyone! My dad is visting the Denver area soon from southern NM. He is an avid outdoorsman and wants to do some fishing while he is there. I told him I knew some great guys who know where good spots are! Nothing too extreme were he would have to hike a day to get there. Just somewhere he can take a day trip to and have a great experience. Thanks in advance!

worm
06-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Any gold medal river will do. I am partial to the Fryingpan River from Ruedi Dam to Basalt as I used to live right on it. He would also be able to hit the Roaring Fork and go over the Continental Divide.

To far to do as a day trip but could be done as a one nighter....with that one night spent in Aspen or Basalt.

Chris
06-01-2011, 09:50 AM
I suggest the entire state of Colorado.

But as a kid I would fish in the flat tops, along the river (forget which) between vail and glenwood spgs, piney lake and a ton more.

dbfan4life
06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
I suggest the entire state of Colorado.

But as a kid I would fish in the flat tops, along the river (forget which) between vail and glenwood spgs, piney lake and a ton more.

I think he will be in the glenwood spgs area.

Tim
06-01-2011, 06:21 PM
This time of the year the roaring fork is flowing so much it is unfishable but the frying pan is good and thats what I would recommend near glenwood.

Durango
06-02-2011, 04:21 AM
Your Dad can get some of the best current conditions around the state from this site

http://www.takemefishing.org/state/page/state-fishing/home/state/CO?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Colorado%20fishing&utm_content=Colorado&utm_campaign=State_Fishing

My favorites have always been the San Miguel and Delores Rivers near Telluride, but I'm from the general area, so I'm biased.

Truth is, I haven't had a bad experience fishing anywhere in Colorado, especially during high summer; mid-July through mid-August.

Right now, the unbelievable snow pack and heavy snowmelt makes brook fishing difficult, if not dangerous. The best period is after the runoff in mid-July. Hope that helps.

Take a look at the site for licensing information and current conditions during the period of his visit.