PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a new TV.

baja
05-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Advice on buying a new TV.

I'm going to get a new TV. I think I will go with a 52 inch model but which make and model????

I know there is a thread about this somewhere but I can't find it.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Panasonic (plasma.)

schaaf
05-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Panasonic (plasma.)

Everything I have heard is to stay away from plasmas

RhymesayersDU
05-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Everything I have heard is to stay away from plasmas

It's my understanding that plasmas have come a long way, and that some of the initial negatives to owning them have been fixed.

Broncos4tw
05-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Plasmas are great. I have 50" Pioneer (they make excellent plasma tvs) - great field of view, very dark blacks, deep colors, it looks great. And it attracts nary a spec of dust.. which is odd, but nice.

schaaf
05-30-2011, 01:25 PM
It's my understanding that plasmas have come a long way, and that some of the initial negatives to owning them have been fixed.

Are they still bad for video games for burning images in?

Broncosfreak_56
05-30-2011, 01:28 PM
1080p LED-LCD HDTV is pretty much the best looking picture out there right now. I would not get a 3d capable TV, because I don't think the whole 3d thing will last.

That One Guy
05-30-2011, 01:36 PM
3d TVs are cool but I too am skeptical it'll take off.

Do they have electricity in Mexico or are you going for something battery powered?

baja
05-30-2011, 01:39 PM
3d TVs are cool but I too am skeptical it'll take off.

Do they have electricity in Mexico or are you going for something battery powered?

Funny you should ask. The set will end up being off the grid on solar so I need to get a set that uses the less electricity. I think the LCD's win hands down in that department.

jutang
05-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Avsforums is the best source. A lot of plasma verses LCD fan boys, but some great posts that help you make an educated decision.

Both plasma and LCD have their pros and cons. Their initial weakness have both gotten remarkably better as the technology has progressed.

My very simplified take. If you like watching movies or shows with the lights dimmed or completely turned off like a theater go with plasma. If you watch tv with a lot of ambient light or in a room with a lot of windows go with LCD.

Boobs McGee
05-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Advice on buying a new TV.

I'm going to get a new TV. I think I will go with a 52 inch model but which make and model????

I know there is a thread about this somewhere but I can't find it.

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=88519

http://orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=89415&highlight=buying

Couple good threads on it. Drek's pretty knowledgeable on the subject, so pay attention to his posts :thumbsup:

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
05-30-2011, 03:02 PM
From a guy former TV sales guy don't pay any attention to make or model. Look for picture quility and bargin.

bronco militia
05-30-2011, 03:15 PM
buy samsung....they are made by future US citizens errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Mexicans

baja
05-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone. ;D

I will go with a 52 inch LCD but which make and model???

broncswin
05-30-2011, 03:25 PM
vizio is good...lg is better...to me samsung is great...but I would agree with above poster in going for the best picture for best price.

Fedaykin
05-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Just make sure its 120hz if you want to watch movies.

I suggest Samsung. Not the best quality possible (which is not to say its poor just that it's not the best there is), but the best "bang for the buck".

DenverBrit
05-30-2011, 04:29 PM
From a guy former TV sales guy don't pay any attention to make or model. Look for picture quility and bargin.

This! It's just like speakers.....have to hear them in person.....everyone's taste and expectations are a little different.

Drek
05-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks everyone. ;D

Samsung and Sony are the best LCD brands.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Plasmas are great. I have 50" Pioneer (they make excellent plasma tvs) - great field of view, very dark blacks, deep colors, it looks great. And it attracts nary a spec of dust.. which is odd, but nice.

Yep.

Another advantage to plasma is that, unlike LCD TVs, the picture quality remains the same no matter what the viewing angle.

Rigs11
05-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Sony Bravia led

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks everyone. ;D

Plasma is better, IMO.

Do some research, i.e., check out some sites that compare and contrast the two types.

BroncosSR
05-30-2011, 04:50 PM

Stay away from Samsung plasmas. Bought one a few years ago and ran into this problem. I'm not the only one but one of the lucky ones that got mine screen replaced.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7574_102-340997.html

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Sony Bravia led

I love my Bravia...I have an LCD though.

BroncosSR
Plasma is better, IMO.

Do some research, i.e., check out some sites that compare and contrast the two types.

It depends.

Generally speaking, in low lights, plasma TVs are better whereas LCDs are better for areas where theres is more light.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor

This ^^^^^

houghtam
05-30-2011, 05:57 PM
I worked in home theater for awhile. There's no "best" brands, some are just more reliable than others. I've had good luck with Sony, Samsung and LG (what I have now), bad luck with Toshiba, Vizio and Sharp. Do yourself a favor and don't go to Wal Mart or Best Buy, at least not to do your research. Not because the salespeople are pushy or less-knowledgeable, because I've found that some of the people I trust most work at the Buy.

If you go to a box store, it's really well lit...usually 5-10 times the lighting you would have in your home. Most of the upscale stores have lighting which more accurately reflects the lighting in your home, and from that you'll be able to get a good idea of what you're looking for. Make a decision based on what you think looks best and then go to one of the box chain stores to save some money.

If you end up making your purchase at a Best Buy or something like that, see if you can get them to knock off 20+% from any accessories you buy, and I would do yourself a favor and at least consider getting some sort of protection plan.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you there's no difference between a $19.99 HDMI cable from Wal Mart and a Monster HDMI cable or something along those lines. They have no clue what they're talking about.

baja
05-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Lots of good info

Thanks mucho guys. ;D

Looks like Sony Bravra gets the most votes.

I pretty much got to pick from the few makes and models they have here in Cabo. I liked the picture of a Sharp LC-52D78UN. They are really expensive here the model I mentioned is $1,460 including tax. They got the same model on line for $999

Drek
05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Stay away from Samsung plasmas. Bought one a few years ago and ran into this problem. I'm not the only one but one of the lucky ones that got mine screen replaced.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7574_102-340997.html

Samsung plasmas are mediocre at best. Their LCDs are best in market. Baja will get an LCD if he's looking to run his house off the grid.

Baja, avoid edge lit if you go LED. I'd probably recommend full array LED because it is the best picture quality/energy consumption ratio.

BroncosSR
05-30-2011, 07:13 PM
Samsung plasmas are mediocre at best. Their LCDs are best in market. Baja will get an LCD if he's looking to run his house off the grid.

Baja, avoid edge lit if you go LED. I'd probably recommend full array LED because it is the best picture quality/energy consumption ratio.

Sorry Drek, I completely disagree with you. I absolutely love my Samsung Plasma when based solely on picture. It is absolutely fantastic and I get more compliments on the picture than on any other TV I've ever owned. The only problem is they are manufactured poorly which is why I'd recommend anybody to stay away from them. But I do agree with you on their LCDs. First class.

gunns
05-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Are they still bad for video games for burning images in?

I want to thank everyone also as I'm thinking of getting a new TV along the lines of what Baja is. But the above question has not been answered or I didn't understand the answer. I would probably have kids and grandkids playing video games on it. Want to know if I steer them to another TV to use.

Bronco Yoda
05-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Gunns- I have a 50inch Panasonic plasma (Costco special) for the kids bonus room and they leave the Wii & PSX on all the time without burn-in. They are real energy hogs and get hot but do not seem to have any burn-in from the video games.

IMO....DO NOT get a LCD if you have little kids unless you can put some sort of protective screen over it. One good smack from a flying object can easily ruin the screen. You want that old time hard glass for protection instead of the delicate LCD screens that can get ruined by just giving it a good thump.

Now if you're hanging it on the wall away from little ones. LCD's are great. We have one in our room.

Kaylore
05-30-2011, 08:14 PM
Baja, if you search, there's a TV thread on the Mane that has a lot of good stuff.

I have a 50" Panasonic plasma 1080p. I recommend plasma TVs for sport as you'll pay out tho nose for LCD's at that size with a refresh rate high enough to watch sports on without blurring.

Fedaykin
05-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Don't listen to anyone who tells you there's no difference between a $19.99 HDMI cable from Wal Mart and a Monster HDMI cable or something along those lines. They have no clue what they're talking about.

LMAO spoken like a true Monster Cable salesman.

Kaylore
05-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah get your HDMI cables from Amazon. You can get like three for ten bucks. And there is no difference between the quality of cables unless your cord needs to be more than 30' long, which is literally nobody.

KipCorrington25
05-30-2011, 08:25 PM
I had a Sharp and it hand grenaded after like a year and was very cost prohibitive to fix so I got a Sony and although I found the picture of the Sharp to be a little better this Sony seems bullet proof after like 4 years.

houghtam
05-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Yeah get your HDMI cables from Amazon. You can get like three for ten bucks. And there is no difference between the quality of cables unless your cord needs to be more than 30' long, which is literally nobody.

I'm colorblind and I can see the difference. You can also hear the difference between good quality audio cables and mediocre quality. If you're not interested or can't see the difference, simply don't pay the extra money. If you're blind, why buy a color television?

And I'm not a Monster salesman anymore, I run a movie theater. But I knows muh stuff and I knows what I likes and I likes me some Monster cables.

DenverBrit
05-30-2011, 08:34 PM

Agreed. I use cheap HDMI cables and get great video. Digital is fine with a cheaper cable.....unlike analog.

DenverBrit
05-30-2011, 08:40 PM
I'm colorblind and I can see the difference. You can also hear the difference between good quality audio cables and mediocre quality. If you're not interested or can't see the difference, simply don't pay the extra money. If you're blind, why buy a color television?

And I'm not a Monster salesman anymore, I run a movie theater. But I knows muh stuff and I knows what I likes and I likes me some Monster cables.

I have really expensive cables for my speakers and components. However, even the sales guy I've dealt with at Listen Up for the last 15 years steered me away from expensive HDMI cables.

This is a useful CNET article on HDMI cables.

The editors at CNET are so confident that cheap HDMI cables offer identical performance, we've been using inexpensive Monoprice HDMI cables in the CNET Home Theater Lab for more than a year with no issues. That's saying a lot, especially when you consider that our video experts are constantly swapping in new products and changing configurations, which means our cables take much more abuse than they would in a normal home theater. We're also accustomed to making long cable runs, and many of our cables from Monoprice are 15 feet long. We also use even longer 20-foot cables from a generic maker with no appreciable loss in video quality. If cheap HDMI cables are good enough for the eagle-eyed video professionals at CNET, we're betting they're good enough for your home theater.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2719-11276_7-226-1.html?tag=page;page

Fedaykin
05-30-2011, 08:46 PM

The Monster brainwashing is strong I see.

a.) HDMI is a digital signal. Either you get full quality or no picture -- nothing in between. HDMI processors will simply refuse to work if the CRC failure rate is too high.

b.) Double blind tests had shown that even most audiophiles are unable to tell the difference between analog signals using high price cables, bargains cables and coat hangers unless you're using very long cables. (And for HDMI, it doesn't matter since, once again, the signal is digital)

You're a lot better off investing in quality electronics, speakers and displays than vastly overpriced crap like Monster.

houghtam
05-30-2011, 08:57 PM
The Monster brainwashing is strong I see.

a.) HDMI is a digital signal. Either you get full quality or no picture -- nothing in between. HDMI processors will simply refuse to work if the CRC failure rate is too high.

b.) Double blind tests had shown that even most audiophiles are unable to tell the difference between analog signals using high price cables, bargains cables and coat hangers unless you're using very long cables. (And for HDMI, it doesn't matter since, once again, the signal is digital)

You're a lot better off investing in quality electronics, speakers and displays than vastly overpriced crap like Monster.

Great. If you can't tell the difference, like I said, don't buy it. We used to play CDs in a demo for the store, one speaker hooked up with "in-the-box" cables and one speaker hooked up to high quality cables. I'd switch the balance for the customer, let them listen, and tell them look, if you can't hear the difference, you're probably fine with the "in-the-box" cables. Not working on commission is great.

Just like I told CBF in a thread a few months ago, if you're happy with your 52" tv and home theater setup at home, then great, don't go out to the movies. It's your choice on how you spend the money. Places like the Buy or Wal Mart have return policies for a reason. Baja, do yourself a favor and buy both. If you don't notice the difference, return the higher-priced cable, if you do, return the lower priced one. Simple as that.

Fedaykin
05-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Great. If you can't tell the difference, like I said, don't buy it. We used to play CDs in a demo for the store, one speaker hooked up with "in-the-box" cables and one speaker hooked up to high quality cables. I'd switch the balance for the customer, let them listen, and tell them look, if you can't hear the difference, you're probably fine with the "in-the-box" cables. Not working on commission is great.

Just like I told CBF in a thread a few months ago, if you're happy with your 52" tv and home theater setup at home, then great, don't go out to the movies. It's your choice on how you spend the money. Places like the Buy or Wal Mart have return policies for a reason. Baja, do yourself a favor and buy both. If you don't notice the difference, return the higher-priced cable, if you do, return the lower priced one. Simple as that.

Do you understand how a digital signal works? Do you understand how a Digital signal processor works?

That One Guy
05-30-2011, 09:20 PM
I knew this was coming as soon as I read the original cable comment. Monster cables seem to bring out the angry in some folks.

cabronco
05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
I was torn between Samsung & Sony Bravia 40" plasma. Both really good pictures, though the sound was better w/ Sony. Bought it 2 yrs ago, so happy w/it, I bought another Sony Bravia for family room . You can view from the side of tv with no problem. JM2cents.

Requiem
05-30-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't have a TV. I saw that they had 40" sony, samsung and vizios for under 450 bucks at walmart, some even sub 400. What gives? My friends paid 1000 for those 1080p ones a year ago. Are the new technologies driving down price (34, etc.) or do these tvs just suck?

Donk
05-30-2011, 09:31 PM
We have a Samsung Led 50" I believe it is very energy efficient.
Very clear HD picture with true to life colors.
It is hard wired to our Verizon FIOS router great connection to Netflix Napster ect.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-30-2011, 09:50 PM

You are correct, sir. :yep:

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-30-2011, 09:51 PM
I have a 50" Panasonic plasma 1080p. I recommend plasma TVs for sport as you'll pay out tho nose for LCD's at that size with a refresh rate high enough to watch sports on without blurring.

Another accurate statement.

houghtam
05-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Do you understand how a digital signal works? Do you understand how a Digital signal processor works?

I think it has something to do with this?

baja
05-30-2011, 10:39 PM

How do I check if it's "full array" ???

baja
05-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Wow lots of great input here, thanks again.

In reading here it seems like you get a better picture with a 50 inch than a 52 inch. Does the 52 incher cross some threshold were the pic starts to diminish in quality?

cabronco
05-30-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't have a TV. I saw that they had 40" sony, samsung and vizios for under 450 bucks at walmart, some even sub 400. What gives? My friends paid 1000 for those 1080p ones a year ago. Are the new technologies driving down price (34, etc.) or do these tvs just suck?

Maybe its already in this thread, but I would check the proccessing speed. I know when I bought mine , there was a 1080p model but with a slower refresh or proccessing speed. I went with the higher speed for sports and games, plus it was on sale at the time at Best Buy. Maybe the other ones work just as well.

baja
05-30-2011, 10:49 PM
Baja, if you search, there's a TV thread on the Mane that has a lot of good stuff.

Ya, I know the Plasma will be better but they are energy hogs and I will be off the grid one of these days so it makes sense to go LCD for me.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-30-2011, 11:11 PM
My digital signals are cleaner and sharper thanks to my gold-plated HDMI cables manufactured in NASA-spec kosher clean rooms. My DSP used to have a difficult time discerning between a 1 and 0 when I used those cheap cables. So what if they cost a hundred bucks a piece. Totally worth the money. Just like my Dr Dre Beats headphones.

Donk
05-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Take a look at this LED. Note the high reviews and Energy rating.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55C6500-55-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0036WT4I8/ref=sr_du_1_map?ie=UTF8&qid=1306818583&sr=8-1

Fedaykin
05-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Wow lots of great input here, thanks again.

In reading here it seems like you get a better picture with a 50 inch than a 52 inch. Does the 52 incher cross some threshold were the pic starts to diminish in quality?

The larger the screen, the more likely you'll be able to see scan lines (or rather the blank space between pixel rows -- kinda like watching your show through blinds). There's no "threshold" it depends on the size of the screen and the viewing distance. The bigger the TV, the further you'll want to sit from it.

Size your TV based on how far you will usually sit from it. Smaller TVs will actually give better image quality unless you can sit far away: See here for a guide (and search for others)

http://hd.engadget.com/2005/09/21/hdtv-buying-guide-choosing-the-right-size/

For example, for a 50 inch TV watching SD content the closest you'd want to sit is about 12 feet (8 feet for full HD).

Of course, each person's visual acuity is different so the best way to determine this is find out how far you're going to sit and then go look at TVs from that distance.

serious hops
05-31-2011, 12:09 AM

I believe some companies make lower-end lines specifically for sale at Wally World-- at least that's what I've been told.

Drek
05-31-2011, 04:14 AM

Really? You do know that the very concepts of electrical engineering that even make HDMI cables possible dictates that there would be zero difference between any HDMI cable right?

So the physical laws of the universe are wrong? **** man sounds like you need to write a paper and redefine hundreds of years of scientific advancement.

HDMI is HDMI. Go with Monoprice or Amazon to get them cheap. If you have a surround sound system it should ideally be receiving its signal from an HDMI as well, but baring that a digital TOS-link cable is an ok second choice.

Sorry Drek, I completely disagree with you. I absolutely love my Samsung Plasma when based solely on picture. It is absolutely fantastic and I get more compliments on the picture than on any other TV I've ever owned. The only problem is they are manufactured poorly which is why I'd recommend anybody to stay away from them. But I do agree with you on their LCDs. First class.

Thats great, your anecdotal story turned out quite well. And how does them being manufactured like **** make them something other than "mediocre at best"?

If I was to throw out a random score for aggregate picture quality on Samsung plasmas I'd probably give them about a 7. Its a good picture, definitely better than any plasma not made by Pioneer or Panasonic. But if the last Pioneer Kuros were a "10" giving Samsung's plasma line a "7" is being fairly generous. It looks great compared to most LCDs and other plasmas but its a long ways off from the true best in sector sets. On top of that they're unreliable as all hell. So above average yet not amazing picture quality for its product line coupled with wild unreliability? Of course it winds up with fans who haven't had problems but generally most do at some point.

How do I check if it's "full array" ???

Its generally bullet pointed in the specs fairly prominently. You'll see edge lit (avoid), full array (good) and RGB (also good).

An LED is just an LCD that uses an LED array for back-lighting instead of more traditional bulbs. The major advantages hinge around this lighting difference. Traditional bulbs tended to wash out colors in the middle for being too bright and didn't light the edges well enough to avoid black crush, as a couple examples. In edge lit sets it has a perimeter ring, kind of like those rope lights you can buy for decoration. The problem with edge lit is it basically does the exact opposite of traditional lighting, too bright on the exteriors and too dark in the middle. They do well on power consumption and let you go with an extremely small form factor, but the IQ exchange is just not worth it.

Full array has the entire screen backlit by an array of LEDs (hence the name) that work off the same control, all dimming or brightening together. It gives a balanced overall picture and in good brands that really lets the quality of the LCD shine. It still stumbles over localized blacks though because it can't regionally dim. Generally thats pretty minor and it handles it better than edge lit or traditional lighting ever did. Its also good on power consumption since LED lighting is more energy efficient than traditional bulbs.

Then you have RGB which offers more intricate, localized control of back-lighting. It will give you the best black levels but generally the price runs higher than the rest and its a little less energy efficient (powering multiple smaller LED arrays instead of one larger and constantly changing brightness will do that). Its still much better on the energy budget of an off the grid home than a Plasma would ever be.

Hence why I'd recommend full array but if you find a nice price for RGB its not a bad choice either. Just avoid edge lit. Its no better than a traditional LCD design. Of course even the traditional LCD designs for Samsung and Sony are still very high quality sets.

Requiem
05-31-2011, 04:46 AM
Wow, I never knew TVs could be so intricate. Lol wow guys this is a nerd fest.

Kaylore
05-31-2011, 06:55 AM
Ya, I know the Plasma will be better but they are energy hogs and I will be off the grid one of these days so it makes sense to go LCD for me.

Well sounds like you've made up your mind!

baja
05-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Not really but thanks to the people posting in this thread I now know what to look for.

Thanks again to the OM community for the help.

Bronco Yoda
05-31-2011, 12:23 PM
I just counted the tv's in my house. Seven TV's! That's just stupid. The ironic part is... the tv I still watch half the time is my beloved 25 yr. 30inch old RCA tucked away in my office. It simply will not die.

baja
05-31-2011, 12:33 PM
I only have 5

TonyR
05-31-2011, 12:47 PM
LCD or plasma TV?

Though flat-screen LCD and plasma TVs look very similar on the outside, they use different technologies. The best sets of both types are capable of excellent picture quality, though there are subtle differences in the nature of the picture. One point that needn't concern you is any difference in longevity between the two technologies. Despite reports you might have read about plasma's allegedly short life span, LCD and plasma sets should last a good 10 years or more in normal use. Neither technology is clearly better for all situations, but there are reasons to choose one over the other.

Why buy a plasma TV?

To get more bang for the buck
Plasma sets tend to cost a bit less than comparably sized LCD TVs, so the same budget could buy you a bigger screen. That's especially true of 720p plasmas, which are often exceptional bargains.

To enjoy a movie-theater experience
A good plasma TV's deep black levels and strong contrast can provide rich, natural-looking images with a more dimensional, cinematic look than an LCD offers. None of the LCD sets we've tested, including the LED-backlit models, have those same characteristics. And even LCDs that have strong blacks and contrast tend to lose them unless viewed from dead center. Also, on certain LCD sets, uneven brightness from the backlight can create cloudy areas in darker scenes that can be distracting.

For the best overall 3D quality
The attributes that give plasma displays their cinematic look also help with 3D content. So far, our tests of 3D plasma and LCD TVs have shown that plasma sets typically do a better job than LCD sets of presenting clear, sharp three-dimensional images with full HD detail and minimal ghosting.

For a wide viewing angle
With a plasma TV, as with a picture-tube set, the picture looks the same from almost any angle. That's a big plus if a TV will be watched by a number of people sitting around a room. Most LCD TVs still look their best only from a limited "sweet spot" in front of the screen. Generally, as you move off to the side, the picture quality of an LCD screen degrades. The image can dim, lose contrast, look washed out, or lose color accuracy as you angle away from the center of the screen. Vertical position also matters, for example if you're sitting on the floor or watching a set that's mounted above a mantel. Some new LCD TVs have a somewhat wider viewing angle than the typical set of this type, but few if any maintain off-angle picture quality as well as a plasma.

For blur-free motion
In general, plasma sets are better than LCD TVs at displaying fast motion with no blurring. In our tests of LCDs with the typical 60Hz refresh rate, using special images designed to reveal this problem, we saw blurred edges, smeared details, and problems with detail on the worst performers. Most LCD sets with 120Hz or 240Hz did better than 60Hz sets, displaying less blur. Casual viewers might not notice any blur in TV programming with little motion, such as news and talk shows, but it might be apparent--though fleeting--in sports, movies, and video games. Note that the anti-blur feature on LCD sets is sometimes linked to motion smoothing, which can give film-based movies a video effect you might not like. The only way to restore the film look is to turn off the anti-blur feature.

Why buy an LCD TV?

For more choice among brands
Many major, and almost all secondary, brands now sell only LCD TVs, so you'll have a much wider choice of manufacturers and models. The only plasma brands now in stores are LG, Panasonic, Samsung, and Sanyo, plus Best Buy's Insignia store label. All those companies also sell LCD TVs.

For more choice in screen sizes
LCD TVs are available a wide range of screen sizes, from very small (below 20 inches) sets that can double as computer monitors, to extra-large screens (55 inches and larger) that can serve as the video centerpiece of a home-theater system. Plasma sets start at 42 inches and go up to 65 or more inches. If you're looking for a smaller TV you'll have to buy an LCD set.

For use in a very bright room
LCDs are generally brighter than plasma TVs, and thus hold their contrast better in bright lighting. Plasma TVs can look a bit dim in bright lighting when set to the Normal or Standard mode, which we generally recommend for home use. If you switch to the Vivid mode or raise the brightness control to compensate, the picture quality might suffer. Another difference: Many LCD sets have matte screens, which are less reflective than glossy screens, and better for daytime viewing in rooms with lots of windows or for nighttime use in rooms with bright lighting. With a plasma set, or an LCD TV with a glossy screen, you might see glare or mirror-like reflections if light falls directly on the screen, especially during dark scenes. (This is similar to what you might have experienced with the glass screen on a picture-tube TV; if that bothered you, this might too.)

For more convenient 3DPassive 3D LCD sets use polarized glasses that are much more comfortable to weaer than active glasses, and much cheaper--often just $10 or $15, compared to as much as $150 for active glasses. They dim the image less than active glasses too, resulting in a brighter picture. Compared to LCD TVs using active 3D technology, they have less ghosting, though still more than plasma TVs using active 3D technology.

To reduce your electric bills
LCD sets with LED backlighting (especially edge-lit models) tend to use power more sparingly than LCDs with fluorescent backlighting and plasmas. So choose an LED model if you want to cut your bills and be kinder to the environment. A regular LCD with fluorescent backlights won't save you much, if anything, over a plasma set of comparable size. Thanks to new panel designs, today's plasmas typically use about the same amount of power as a conventional LCD.

To avoid any risk of burn-in
Both types of flat panels can do the job, but with an LCD, there's no chance static images will burn in. With a plasma TV, burn-in can be a concern with video games, computer programs, and other content that has fixed images onscreen for a long time. That includes station logos, news tickers, menus, and even the bars alongside standard-def pictures. Many plasma sets have screen-saver features to minimize the risk, which we consider to be very low. In our tests of newer sets, we've seen temporary image sticking that goes away in a day or so, but no evidence of permanent image retention. Recent anecdotal evidence from our staff and online forum participants hasn't turned up any burn-in issues in typical long-term use at home. If you're a video gamer, try to avoid leaving the game menu on screen for indefinite periods of time.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/tvs-services/tvs/tv-buying-advice/tv-lcd-or-plasma-tv-/tv-lcd-or-plasma-tv-.htm

Gort
05-31-2011, 12:47 PM

isn't HDMI an all digital transmission specification?

if so, your post would have to go down in history as the funniest one in OM history.

if i'm streaming "1"s and "0"s over a transmission line and the transmission line has parity checking and error correction algorithms on the receiver, there is NOTHING you can see or hear any different using one HDMI cable over another.

that's one of the main points of going to digital in the first place.

Bronco Yoda
05-31-2011, 01:17 PM
I only have 5

Now THAT is crazy for a single guy LOL.

...Netbooks, notebooks, PCs, TV's, DVR's, phones, ipods, video games, vcrs. ereaders, stereos.. etc...etc... Crazy how much we all have plugged in.
Last year I invested in a bunch of those smart power strips with remotes. Now everything is plugged into one or two in just about every room. Now everything shuts off if not used automtic in use and I can shut down most of the house with a board with all the remotes attache to it. My special electric paddle ;)

baja
05-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Now THAT is crazy for a single guy LOL.

...Netbooks, notebooks, PCs, TV's, DVR's, phones, ipods, video games, vcrs. ereaders, stereos.. etc...etc... Crazy how much we all have plugged in.
<B>Last year I invested in a bunch of those smart power strips with remotes. Now everything is plugged into one or two in just about every room. Now everything shuts off if not used automtic in use and I can shut down most of the house with a board with all the remotes attache to it. My special electric paddle ;)

OU THAT IS GREAT INFO - I'm getting several right away, thanks for this...

Rigs11
05-31-2011, 01:52 PM
isn't HDMI an all digital transmission specification?

if so, your post would have to go down in history as the funniest one in OM history.

if i'm streaming "1"s and "0"s over a transmission line and the transmission line has parity checking and error correction algorithms on the receiver, there is NOTHING you can see or hear any different using one HDMI cable over another.

that's one of the main points of going to digital in the first place.

Theyre better because they're more expensiveHilarious!See these suckers fall for it all the time at best buy.

Quoydogs
05-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Ok so if I get the 3d tv and say I have 4 pairs of glasses. If I have a football party and 10 people show up can we all still watch the game on the 3D channel ?? or do you have to have the glasses on ? If you don't does the picture look funny ?

Rohirrim
05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
I've had my 50" Panasonic plasma 1080p for over a year. Very happy with it. The picture on the LCDs just looked too "plastic" to me.

That One Guy
05-31-2011, 02:17 PM
Ok so if I get the 3d tv and say I have 4 pairs of glasses. If I have a football party and 10 people show up can we all still watch the game on the 3D channel ?? or do you have to have the glasses on ? If you don't does the picture look funny ?

I don't know. Can't remember.

Kaylore
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
I've had my 50" Panasonic plasma 1080p for over a year. Very happy with it. The picture on the LCDs just looked too "plastic" to me.

The "soap opera effect" is indeed annoying but they're getting much better at eliminating that. However I agree and went with (what sounds like is exactly the same as yours) plasma.

Kaylore
05-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Poor houghtam. Owned by binary. lol

Chris
05-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Samsung has really picked up the pace vs Sony in recent years. One thing I will say is that if you don't have a sound system and don't intend on picking one up go with Sony as the built in sound is MASSIVELY superior. There's a reason the Samsung TVs never have audio through the speakers when demoing.

Also... stay away from made in Mexico.

Beantown Bronco
05-31-2011, 02:47 PM

You have to have the glasses on to see it in 3d. It will look fuzzy to anyone not wearing the glasses.

That One Guy
05-31-2011, 02:48 PM
Samsung has really picked up the pace vs Sony in recent years. One thing I will say is that if you don't have a sound system and don't intend on picking one up go with Sony as the built in sound is MASSIVELY superior. There's a reason the Samsung TVs never have audio through the speakers when demoing.

Get 'im, Baja!

That One Guy
05-31-2011, 02:49 PM
You have to have the glasses on to see it in 3d. It will look fuzzy to anyone not wearing the glasses.

I think it was a trick question though.

Can you imagine what it'd take to have live football in 3d? (Aside from going to the game and watching 3d, of course.) So it'll actually look funny to those wearing the glasses if you're watching football.

baja
05-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Yes stay away, only people with balls should enjoy Mexico. The timid will be a nervous wreck the whole time.

Rohirrim
05-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Yes stay away, only people with balls should enjoy Mexico. The timid will be a nervous wreck the whole time.

Or decapitated. ;D

baja
05-31-2011, 02:53 PM
Or decapitated. ;D

So what's the count of tourists that have been beheaded in Mexico? Oh that's right - zero

Beantown Bronco
05-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Can you imagine what it'd take to have live football in 3d? (Aside from going to the game and watching 3d, of course.) So it'll actually look funny to those wearing the glasses if you're watching football.

ESPN 3D aired the NCAA championship game in 3D. It was freakin cool.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
05-31-2011, 03:00 PM
No interest in the 3D thing, and I'm very pleased with my 42" Vizio LCD 1080p. My house has a ****load of windows in the livingroom, so having something that can compete with ambient light was my main consideration.

If I was putting it in a basement though, in a theater-type setting, I'd probably go plasma.

Dr. Broncenstein
05-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Make sure to get the TK modification, which is done in house for a small price. It kicks the signal up 3-4 quads per channel... but that's technical talk. We're talking the highest fidelity. It's like having a Monster HDMI cable with gold wiring and oil insulation. Makes you wanna freeky deeky.

LetsGoBroncos
05-31-2011, 03:02 PM
I have the Sony KDL46HX800

It is a Sony Bravia 46" LED. It is 240hz, and is 3D Ready (although I don't care about that much).

I LOVE it. Great for gaming, really deep blacks. Fantastic tv

I got it with the extended warranty after tax for about $1,400 from Ultimate Electronics about 5 months ago. I know they went out of business but you might be able to find it for around that price somewhere else

Rohirrim
05-31-2011, 03:24 PM
So what's the count of tourists that have been beheaded in Mexico? Oh that's right - zero

American tourists. How about Salvadoran and Honduran tourists? :~ohyah!:

maher_tyler
05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks everyone. ;D

I got a 52 inch LED Sharp Aquas at Best Buy...got mine on sale for $1350 or so...got a 2 year extended warrenty and the total was like $1750. Went back just browsing around and it's still on sale for the same price. Great TV!!

Fedaykin
05-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Really? You do know that the very concepts of electrical engineering that even make HDMI cables possible dictates that there would be zero difference between any HDMI cable right?

So the physical laws of the universe are wrong? **** man sounds like you need to write a paper and redefine hundreds of years of scientific advancement.

HDMI is HDMI. Go with Monoprice or Amazon to get them cheap. If you have a surround sound system it should ideally be receiving its signal from an HDMI as well, but baring that a digital TOS-link cable is an ok second choice.

Nah dude, I totally believe the guy when he says he can see/hear the difference between $100 1's and 0's and $10 1's and 0's. More money = better values of 1, doncha know?

I don't know about you, but words on the intertubes look better when I'm using a Monster LAN cable too. Fewer typos!

Bronco Yoda
05-31-2011, 07:14 PM
OU THAT IS GREAT INFO - I'm getting several right away, thanks for this...

Check these out. They cut down on the standby power consumption and they have remotes! I have several of these and they work great.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107174&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Surge+Suppressors-_-Belkin-_-12107174

Drek
05-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Wow, I never knew TVs could be so intricate. Lol wow guys this is a nerd fest.

My chemical engineering prof in undergrad developed one of the thousands of patents for contemporary LCD technology. Literally one of thousands. She retired at 41 and teaches one class a semester to keep herself busy.

The only thing that outstrips the intricacy is the money.

jbiel
05-31-2011, 08:55 PM
One of the biggest factors should be your lighting. If it's a darker room go plasma. If you have a lot of light, you may want to think led/lcd. Sports are also better on plasmas.

I saw a few posts challenging Samsung plasmas which I disagree with. They have came a long way and I believe they are right there if not better than Panasonic as far as plasma goes. I just bought a PN51D7000 from Amazon and am loving it. After I have a couple hundred hours burned in, I will calibrate it, but the picture already looks awesome. Here's a good plasma website.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/compare-reviews.php

SoDak Bronco
05-31-2011, 09:19 PM
My samsung 47" DLP HDTV (bought 5-6 yrs ago) is acting up. Both my component hookups for my Xbox and Direct TV (for some reason the HDMI picture isn't as good as component) just went out. My tv is in a basement, so it sounds like i'll look at a Plasma, what do you think is the best Plasma in the 47-52" range.

I am kinda leary about Samsungs after my last tv only last 5 years and the damn components aren't working. Plus I replaced the colorwheel a few months back.

bowtown
05-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Make sure whichever one you buy was made by Nazis on the North Pole. The antigravity really makes action scenes pop in any light.

chanesaw
06-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Which ever TV you decide to buy be sure to check this website www.eastcoasttvs.com before you buy it. I bought my 55" Samsung LED from this site and saved a bundle compared to Best Buy. I got the TV, white glove shipping service, a low profile tilting wall mount, 5 year in home service plan, and an HDMI cable for $400 less than just the TV at Best Buy. The only downside is that you have to wait about a week to get it, but it was worth it to me.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-01-2011, 01:59 PM
...so it sounds like i'll look at a Plasma, what do you think is the best Plasma in the 47-52" range.

Panasonic.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Why buy a plasma TV?

To get more bang for the buck
Plasma sets tend to cost a bit less than comparably sized LCD TVs, so the same budget could buy you a bigger screen. That's especially true of 720p plasmas, which are often exceptional bargains.

That's good advice, for two reasons:

1) All of your HD broadcasts are in 720p anyway.

2) With plasma TVs whose screen sizes are 42" or smaller, you really can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

I just snagged a 42' Panasonic plasma (720p) to put in the bedroom. Five bills from Circuit City (online through Amazon.) Outstanding picture quality at a smokin' price.

Beantown Bronco
06-01-2011, 02:08 PM
That's good advice, for two reasons:

1) All of your HD broadcasts are in 720p anyway.

Most, but not all. Even basic cable with Directv has access to true 1080p content.

Boobs McGee
06-01-2011, 02:19 PM
My chemical engineering prof in undergrad developed one of the thousands of patents for contemporary LCD technology. Literally one of thousands. She retired at 41 and teaches one class a semester to keep herself busy.

The only thing that outstrips the intricacy is the money.

Question for you. So, if TN panels are considered one of the most energy efficient, and some of the best for gaming (due to the single domain and low response time)...what's the next best type of panel you'd recommend? The weird thing is, some of the best new gaming tv's (like the panasonic viera tc-l32u3) are using the IPS Alpha panels...which I thought would have worse lag because of the dual transistors for each pixel. I don't understand why they have such low response times, yet keep better contrast and have much more favorable viewing angles than a traditional TN.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Most, but not all. Even basic cable with Directv has access to true 1080p content.

The content you're talking about is on-demand/downloaded via DVR - not broadcast, correct?

Beantown Bronco
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
The content you're talking about is on-demand/downloaded via DVR - not broadcast, correct?

If we're being technical, the 1080p ones I believe are all presented that way, but at least half of the channels that "broadcast" in HD are 1080i, not 720p.

That One Guy
06-01-2011, 02:59 PM
So, I recently moved and I just got around to setting up my TV today. I used a cheap HDMI from the cable box and when I turned on the TV, the picture was perfectly clear but there was nothing but crappy programming and reality shows on.

Would a Monster cable help?

Chris
06-01-2011, 03:20 PM
My samsung 47" DLP HDTV (bought 5-6 yrs ago) is acting up. Both my component hookups for my Xbox and Direct TV (for some reason the HDMI picture isn't as good as component) just went out. My tv is in a basement, so it sounds like i'll look at a Plasma, what do you think is the best Plasma in the 47-52" range.

I am kinda leary about Samsungs after my last tv only last 5 years and the damn components aren't working. Plus I replaced the colorwheel a few months back.

I think it's more that you bought DLP. That tech has gone the way of the Dodo. You won't need to replace any bulbs on LED or LCD.

Dr. Broncenstein
06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
So, I recently moved and I just got around to setting up my TV today. I used a cheap HDMI from the cable box and when I turned on the TV, the picture was perfectly clear but there was nothing but crappy programming and reality shows on.

Would a Monster cable help?

Do you want the highest fidelity? I mean, if you are okay with just high fidelity then go with your garden variety cable. If you want that fidelity that curls up in your stomach... then you know what you need to do.

Chris
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
Monster cables are BS

Go to monoprice.com - good quality

Drek
06-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Question for you. So, if TN panels are considered one of the most energy efficient, and some of the best for gaming (due to the single domain and low response time)...what's the next best type of panel you'd recommend? The weird thing is, some of the best new gaming tv's (like the panasonic viera tc-l32u3) are using the IPS Alpha panels...which I thought would have worse lag because of the dual transistors for each pixel. I don't understand why they have such low response times, yet keep better contrast and have much more favorable viewing angles than a traditional TN.

S-PVA would be hands down my recommended LCD technology to lean towards. Its a co-developed technology of Samsung and Sony's that is similar in core concept to MVA but originated separately. Look for it in S-LCD models. It offers the best black levels and contrast ratio, good viewing angles, and highly competitive refresh times.

This technology is a big reason why I tell everyone who asks me, if you're buying an LCD and price isn't the primary limiting factor get a Samsung or Sony. They're by far the most well rounded LCDs on the market and are better in pretty much every way than any other TV you can buy unless you're getting a high end Panasonic plasma or can get your hands on a 2008 Pioneer Kuro, which to this day is still widely considered the best retail TV.

As it pertains to gaming in particular though, my opinion is that a damn nice plasma still wins as long as you take care of it for the first couple hundred hours to break it in. That doesn't mean don't game on it, just that when you go to use the restroom or make a sandwich you power off the TV while you're away. Run a break in disc, most plasmas now have a white scanner bar to help clear up what little IR may pop up, etc.. If you're a responsible owner of your electronics a plasma has almost zero risks and gives far better picture quality (color and black levels) with near CRT latency.

Quoydogs
06-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I think it was a trick question though.

I think I am pretty sure they said that they will have the playoff games broadcast in 3d this year. I will look back and see if I can find the article.

That One Guy
06-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I think I am pretty sure they said that they will have the playoff games broadcast in 3d this year. I will look back and see if I can find the article.

Wow, I didn't know it was taking off like that. Guess I missed when they did the NCAA game. It could be interesting, that's for sure.

Quoydogs
06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
I can't find the article, I know I read one on Yahoo. I'll keep looking