PDA

View Full Version : Running: Light footwear, etc.

Doggcow
05-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I've been doing some research as I have a lot of problems with impact from running. Back/Ankle/Foot pain. Apparently part of the problem is NIKE shoes, etc. and how the running shoes now are contoured and we as a species aren't designed to run like that.

Partial Source:
http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Superathletes-Greatest-Vintage/dp/0307279189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306707626&sr=8-1

has anyone tried light footwear running like http://lunasandals.com/ or anything?

Ratboy
05-29-2011, 04:29 PM
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

A lot of people in the military uses these. I guess they help your form when running.

Doggcow
05-29-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

A lot of people in the military uses these. I guess they help your form when running.

Yeah, shoes now have heelstriking form which causes the pain and problems. Those are solid. I was leaning towards these, alot like VFF but cheaper.

http://shop.zemgear.com/products/productdetail/Ninja+High/part_number=8000/6944.0.1.1.0.0.0.0.0?

SonOfLe-loLang
05-29-2011, 05:19 PM
I've worn vibrams for probably around two years and run an avg of 4-5 miles a day in them. I'm not sure if they will help foot pain but it's helped my knees/sciatic nerve pain. But if I run more than 7 miles or so on concrete, other pain will arise since it's probably too much on the body. They aren't for everyone. A major issue I have with them is that they wear around the toes fairly easily (for me same toe on both feet) I hear the Nike free is good and may try those next.

baja
05-29-2011, 05:57 PM
I got the 5 fingers when someone linked the site here and I love them will never be without a pair.

Now I follow the link to the ZEM's and can't wait to get a pair. Thanks Son of... check that make it dogchow ;D

tsiguy96
05-29-2011, 06:18 PM
i use vibrams as well, mostly for lifting but also some HIIT. great for squatting.

SonOfLe-loLang
05-29-2011, 06:24 PM
You can run on concrete in the ZEM?

Cmac821
05-29-2011, 06:24 PM
are those Vibram Five Fingers good for every day wear like a tennis shoe?

SonOfLe-loLang
05-29-2011, 06:26 PM

Hmmm, well if you step on a rock, it will hurt, but its not like it'll break skin. But, even though i use them, they are incredibly ugly and i think it'd look kinda silly just to wear em with a pair of jeans

tsiguy96
05-29-2011, 06:27 PM

they CAN be, but it depends on length of time and what you are doing. typically made for running, but prior to putting them on and running id recommend walking around for a few hours a few days in advance of running, and gradually adding more time. your feet will hurt after wearing.

Cmac821
05-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Hmmm, well if you step on a rock, it will hurt, but its not like it'll break skin. But, even though i use them, they are incredibly ugly and i think it'd look kinda silly just to wear em with a pair of jeans

I just want to walk around barefoot but that is frowned upon plus it hurts like hell. It seems these VFF are not a good alternative, people are just not built to walk on concrete, added with shoes it messes everything up.

Steve Prefontaine
05-30-2011, 06:42 AM
I've been doing some research as I have a lot of problems with impact from running. Back/Ankle/Foot pain. Apparently part of the problem is NIKE shoes, etc. and how the running shoes now are contoured and we as a species aren't designed to run like that.

Partial Source:
http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Superathletes-Greatest-Vintage/dp/0307279189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1306707626&sr=8-1

has anyone tried light footwear running like http://lunasandals.com/ or anything?

What kind of running have you been doing? Trail running, road running? What kind of distances?

Not sure if you have done this already, but you may want to try visiting a running store. A place where will look at your foot strike and determine the best shoes for you. It makes a big difference.

Also, most of the running stores now have the VFF if you want to try them out. They are a great concept, but depending on your distances they can cause some blistering and discomfort over longer runs.

elsid13
05-30-2011, 07:38 AM
If you don't want to with VFF, you might want to look at these. They are getting good review from folks I know that have them.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Men-Footwear-Shoes-Barefoot

underrated29
05-30-2011, 10:20 AM
dont know if you are in CO or not doggie. But there is a store called the "boulder shoe company" and they are all over the state, not just boulder. I just went there off a recomendation. They did a good job. They have you walk around barefoot so they can see how you walk. Then you get on a treadmill and do a light jog and walk as well. They analyze all this crap and then tell you what you are doing right and wrong with your walking and what kinds of shoes will work best with how you do it.

The shoes are expensive though. Cost me $105. but they are super comfy and I wont wear them out as fast because they are built for the type of runner/walker I am.

Captain 'Dre
05-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Not everybody is cut out to run. A fairly high percentage of people will develop hip or knee pain from running, no matter what shoe they wear.

That said, it's EXTREMELY important to get a shoe that fits YOU properly. I cannot wear Nike or Reebok shoes, because the toe box isn't wide enough for my foot. When I wear Sauconys, I have no problems at all.

But just to illustrate how fragile the body's running dynamics are...

I decided a few years ago to wear gel pad heel inserts in my Sauconys, the idea being that they'd help cushion the repetitive impact and thus protect my knees.

Within three months, I began to develop hip pain that felt like arthritis. I didn't connect the discomfort with the gel pads, though...

By the time three more months had passed, the pain was considerably worse. I finally put 2 and 2 together, and decided to stop using the inserts.

Within two months, the pain was reduced by 70%... in another three months, I could still feel a bit of discomfort, but it was minimal. In another couple of months, the pain was gone. The whole problem had developed just because i had worn heel inserts!

So... I'd suggest the following-

(1) If you've been a runner for a while, you probably already know if your body tolerates running well, or if it doesn't. It it DOESN'T, you'd be better off finding a different form of exercise.

(2) Get a professional consult on running shoes from a high end athletic shoe store. (Where I live, there's "Movin' Shoes" and "Roadrunner Sports". Both places have REALLY knowledgeable and helpful staff that help you get into the correct shoe. You'll pay more for the pair of shoes you get there, but from then on, you can explore getting the model that works for you from a cheaper source.

Orange&BlueMohawk
05-30-2011, 06:55 PM
I have been running for about 15 years now. I started out in Adidas. I wore the crap out of them. This is when I was running track in high school. On a concrete track. Now I have shin splints.
Once I hit the Marine Corps, I bounced around to a few different kind (running, walking, cross training) and eventually went back to Adidas.

When I got in 2005, I ran much less because of the shape my body was in after three tours to Iraq. I had to get physical therapy done on my knees.

Since then, I have improved my standing. I run a whole lot more and am actually back in pretty decent shape.

One of the major keys was getting a pair of Nike Frees. They say its like running barefoot. At first your feet hurt a little bit to get used to the way it makes your foot land, but after, hell yeah.

Out of all the pair of shoes I have owned, these are hands down the best ones.

Ray Finkle
05-30-2011, 07:19 PM
I have been running for about 15 years now. I started out in Adidas. I wore the crap out of them. This is when I was running track in high school. On a concrete track. Now I have shin splints.
Once I hit the Marine Corps, I bounced around to a few different kind (running, walking, cross training) and eventually went back to Adidas.

When I got in 2005, I ran much less because of the shape my body was in after three tours to Iraq. I had to get physical therapy done on my knees.

Since then, I have improved my standing. I run a whole lot more and am actually back in pretty decent shape.

One of the major keys was getting a pair of Nike Frees. They say its like running barefoot. At first your feet hurt a little bit to get used to the way it makes your foot land, but after, hell yeah.

Out of all the pair of shoes I have owned, these are hands down the best ones.

I agree....they're awesome after the first few weeks...

enjolras
05-30-2011, 09:00 PM
If you don't want to with VFF, you might want to look at these. They are getting good review from folks I know that have them.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Men-Footwear-Shoes-Barefoot

My wife uses those and adores them... I'm going to give them a shot too.

baja
05-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Love these;

http://img.wolverineworldwide.com/is/image/WolverineWorldWide/MRL-W85503-071410?op_usm=0.5,1&wid=500&hei=520&qlt=70&fmt=jpg&extend=0,0,0,0

Jay3
05-31-2011, 06:45 AM
Appreciate this thread. I'm thinking of taking running back up.

Steve Prefontaine
05-31-2011, 08:04 AM
Appreciate this thread. I'm thinking of taking running back up.

Do it!

Smiling Assassin27
05-31-2011, 10:05 AM
Anybody got any suggestions for a shoe for plyo/jump training? Will any of these do me right? It's heavy impact with lots of cuts, starts, stops, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
05-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Vibrams all the way for running and lifting. I had my first pair stolen (who steals sweaty shoes?) and immediately sold my wife for another pair.

baja
05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Anyone have a report on the Nike Vibrams?

That One Guy
05-31-2011, 12:49 PM
I can wear flip flops while playing Wii. Why risk it and run?