PDA

View Full Version : Elway: Tebow no further along than he was a year ago

Boobs McGee
05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18159505

Sounds worse than it is, but it's kind of a weird statement in my opinion. Heard it today on the radio, just found the article, comments from The Duke on Tebow towards the end::

"I have nothing but respect for Tim. He has so many qualities that can't be coached, and he was a proven winner in college. Can he be a starting quarterback and a winner on this level? He started three games, but Tim is no further along at this time than he was a year ago. We don't know yet what he will become.

"I hope that Tim becomes a Hall of Famer as the Broncos quarterback."

First off, I'm really excited to have John in the FO. The article reinforces that by showing a bit of his commitment to the team and his " three-year plan to have us winning the division title every year, and more, of course."
Also has a few comments regarding the lockout.

As far as the bolded statement above, I really get the feeling that we'll be seeing Orton starting the season next year. Elway could've easily omitted this quote from his statement, but by leaving it in there it seems like he doesn't think Tebow's ready. I want to believe that Tim will come through and excel, but the greatest QB of all time is saying that he hasn't made any progress as of now. Obviously, he hasn't had the opportunity to work within a new system, with new coaches, new playbook, etc...but you'd think Elway could just as easily had said something to the effect of "he's improved aspect A) of his game, and his ability to do B) has steadily gotten better".

I dunno, he's done nothing but downplay Tim's starting place next year on the roster, and it's beginning to feel like the whole "posturing for a trade" idea isn't his intent at all.

jebures
05-28-2011, 10:57 PM

Sounds worse than it is, but it's kind of a weird statement in my opinion. Heard it today on the radio, just found the article, comments from The Duke on Tebow towards the end::

"I have nothing but respect for Tim. He has so many qualities that can't be coached, and he was a proven winner in college. Can he be a starting quarterback and a winner on this level? He started three games, but Tim is no further along at this time than he was a year ago. We don't know yet what he will become.

First off, I'm really excited to have John in the FO. The article reinforces that by showing a bit of his commitment to the team and his " three-year plan to have us winning the division title every year, and more, of course."

As far as the bolded statement above, I really get the feeling that we'll be seeing Orton starting the season next year. Elway could've easily omitted this quote from his statement, but by leaving it in there it seems like he doesn't think Tebow's ready. I want to believe that Tim will come through and excel, but the greatest QB of all time is saying that he hasn't made any progress as of now. Obviously, he hasn't had the opportunity to work within a new system, with new coaches, new playbook, etc...but you'd think Elway could just as easily had said something to the effect of "he's improved aspect A) of his game, and his ability to do B) has steadily gotten better".

I dunno, he's done nothing but downplay Tim's starting place next year on the roster, and it's beginning to feel like the whole "posturing for a trade" idea isn't his intent at all.

I am really not looking forward to another year of watching the most unathletic starting QB in the league, he is a good passer but stinks when the pressure is on or when we need a game winning drive. He has no mobility or pocket presence, he just crumbles. Very unappealing. Yuck. Just yuck.

SoCalBronco
05-28-2011, 10:59 PM
He might be referring to the fact that at least officially Tebow hasn't recieved any coaching this offseason so he hasn't really had a chance to get better within the confines of learning and/or improving within an offense.

My intent isn't to bend over backwards to find a way to make Elway's comments nicer, since I'm not a fan of Elway as GM/President...just thinking out loud what he might be referring to. Like Boobs McGee, I also don't like the fact that he appears to be constantly slighting him, whether intended or not (probably the latter)....although perhaps its a motivational tool, as Tebow responds very well when criticized.

BroncoMatt
05-28-2011, 11:11 PM
With the no contact between mgmt and players, how exactly could he know where Tebow is in his development?

anon
05-28-2011, 11:16 PM
I think Elway is just being honest. Tebow can't really get better until training camp and practices with the team.

Even if we are only lukewarm on trading Orton, you can't force teams to offer more if the perception is that you don't need him and/or that Orton will just walk after the season and therefore you just want to get something, anything for him.

strafen
05-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Until we see Tebow play for real, nobody would know...
One thing I do know...Tebow feeds off comments like that.
This is what drives the guy to excel at what he does and at what he wants to prove.
I'm looking forward to see what he's got. I've got the feeling we're all going to be happy with what we'll see :strong:

strafen
05-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I think Elway is just being honest. Tebow can't really get better until training camp and practices with the team.

Even if we are only lukewarm on trading Orton, you can't force teams to offer more if the perception is that you don't need him and/or that Orton will just walk after the season and therefore you just want to get something, anything for him.Good point.
I think the desire to trade Orton still exists, and anything short of naming Tebow our starter would hurt the value of what we could get for Orton...

Boobs McGee
05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
He might be referring to the fact that at least officially Tebow hasn't recieved any coaching this offseason so he hasn't really had a chance to get better within the confines of learning and/or improving within an offense.

My intent isn't to bend over backwards to find a way to make Elway's comments nicer, since I'm not a fan of Elway as GM/President...just thinking out loud what he might be referring to. Like Boobs McGee, I also don't like the fact that he appears to be constantly slighting him, whether intended or not (probably the latter)....although perhaps its a motivational tool, as Tebow responds very well when criticized.

This is what I'd originally kind of hoped he meant...but as I read over it again and again I'm just stumped. Why not just keep your mouth shut? I'm just dumbfounded that he keeps making these remarks, unless it's because he truly believes Tebow won't be ready, and is trying to be honest with us.

I hadn't thought about the last part of your quote...very well could be the case as well. Motivational tool, because he responds accordingly. But still, I just don't understand why the need for this much disclosure to the media. I want transparency, but this is, like, too MUCH transparency.

Boobs McGee
05-28-2011, 11:31 PM

Even if we are only lukewarm on trading Orton, you can't force teams to offer more if the perception is that you don't need him and/or that Orton will just walk after the season and therefore you just want to get something, anything for him.

And this makes sense as well...try to drum up more interest and all...but why keep repeating the sentiment over and over? Wouldn't a couple of times be enough?

Requiem
05-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Elway has to stop doing interviews after he gets drunk.

anon
05-28-2011, 11:34 PM
And this makes sense as well...try to drum up more interest and all...but why keep repeating the sentiment over and over? Wouldn't a couple of times be enough?

He's probably doing Tebow a favor by attempting to keep the hype to a minimum. Lower, more realistic expectations will allow Tebow to progress naturally.

Elway has been in the middle of the hype machine as a young QB, so he probably knows a little something about what would make a better environment for player development.

Boobs McGee
05-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Very true, another good point.

OABB
05-29-2011, 12:16 AM
was elway looking up to his left when he said this?

ZONA
05-29-2011, 12:25 AM
No news really. I think John is speaking in relative terms. It wasn't even but 6 months ago or so that Tebow played. How in the heck could he be improved as a player when you really have no way to judge that. So, he really isn't any further along, he can't prove that he is, and it's only been 6 months. How much can you improve in 6 months with no team practices or games? Not much. Mechanics, maybe. But still, that's a very short time frame. And yes, they have to help themselves in terms of how Orton is perceived so they can't very well go out and make a statement that Tebow has improved. That will give teams no desire at all to seek a trade that the Broncos would agree to.

cutthemdown
05-29-2011, 01:42 AM
Elway a smart cookie. By saying things like this he makes Orton seem more valuable to the Broncos. If a trade comes it helps his value.

Requiem
05-29-2011, 01:43 AM
Elway a smart cookie. By saying things like this he makes Orton seem more valuable to the Broncos. If a trade comes it helps his value.

I was thinking this might be the reason for some of his comments as well.

elsid13
05-29-2011, 07:43 AM

Or he being honest and still think Tebow has a long way to go to be starting NFL QB.

barryr
05-29-2011, 07:46 AM

That would be my guess. Trading from a position of weakness always nets less in return. Claiming Tebow is the starter right now isnīt really going to make Ortonīs value jump at this point.

CEH
05-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Well see if Tebow does progress enough this year to be a good starting QB
I hope so as the QB position must be solidifed
If not , I think we will start to hear rumblings indirectly from the Broncos brass of the other extra curricular activites taking away from his football focus. The only way to balance the two is to become a good NFL QB

Gort
05-29-2011, 09:58 AM

it's a good thing none of the other teams' GMs are smart enough to figure out what Elway's doing, huh?

somebody needs to pull Elway aside and tell him to STFU... he's almost as gaffe prone when he opens his mouth as Biden.

Elway is in a high stakes poker game with all the other GMs, but thinks he's playing checkers.

HAT
05-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I really don't think this has anything to do with Orton's trade value.

It's a combination of motivating Tebow while at the same time protecting him & managing expectations like Anon said.

The longer this lockout goes on, the more I think Denver ends up going with a 2 QB approach to start the season.

maven
05-29-2011, 11:12 AM
I think Elway should stop doing the radio interviews.

HAT
05-29-2011, 11:14 AM
was elway looking up to his left when he said this?

^5

Houshyamama
05-29-2011, 11:37 AM
This is a true statement, I don't have a problem with it. Fox doesn't have a recently fired brother to coach him up this offseason.

cutthemdown
05-29-2011, 11:41 AM
I was thinking this might be the reason for some of his comments as well.

Req we have had some dark yrs here lately. I really think though Elway has thrived in everything he has tried. Football he kicked ass, car dealerships he kicked ass, his restaurant has done well etc etc. Seems to me he is a quick study and has no problem copying how other people were a success. I think he is going to build a very strong team in Denver and our days of getting reamed in trades and FA are over.

cutthemdown
05-29-2011, 11:45 AM
it's a good thing none of the other teams' GMs are smart enough to figure out what Elway's doing, huh?

somebody needs to pull Elway aside and tell him to STFU... he's almost as gaffe prone when he opens his mouth as Biden.

Elway is in a high stakes poker game with all the other GMs, but thinks he's playing checkers.

I disagree. In fact i think you have missed it so badly that it shows how smart Elway is.

cutthemdown
05-29-2011, 11:46 AM
I really don't think this has anything to do with Orton's trade value.

It's a combination of motivating Tebow while at the same time protecting him & managing expectations like Anon said.

The longer this lockout goes on, the more I think Denver ends up going with a 2 QB approach to start the season.

Really because if you think back to the Tommy Maddox/Shawn Moore taking turns debacle you would remember what Elway said about a team having more then 1 QB who thinks he is the starter.

cutthemdown
05-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Elway IMO is old school. Once he decided who the best QB is I think he will move on. The bkup will be a true bkup, not a guy who get to start everytime the other qb throws a pic or has a bad game.

HAT
05-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Really because if you think back to the Tommy Maddox/Shawn Moore taking turns debacle you would remember what Elway said about a team having more then 1 QB who thinks he is the starter.

Good thing he's not the coach then, eh? If he trades Orton, so be it. But short of that it's not his decision to make.

And you missed the part about...."The longer the lockout goes on....yadda, yadda...to START the season"

barryr
05-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Obviously Tebow has things to work on to be a really good QB, but his leadership qualities and mobility are hard to ignore and are far superior it seems compared to Orton.

strafen
05-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Elway is in a high stakes poker game with all the other GMs, but thinks he's playing checkers.I think it's a little premature at this point to call it a high stake poker game or a game of checkers.

If we're all thinking Elway is talking too much, then there's a possibility some GM around the league may be buying his buff.
We've got ways to go, and many things to be resolved before we can pass judgment on Elway.
I would think he's smarter than that. Elway's been around football since he was born.
I doubt he doesn't know what he's doing...

KipCorrington25
05-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Orton is no further along than he was a year ago.

strafen
05-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Orton is no further along than he was a year ago.

Winner! :~ohyah!:

Jay3
05-29-2011, 03:49 PM
I agree with Elway. The 2010 season was a dumpster fire for Tebow. The Tebow we saw in those last three games is not even as good as the Tebow we would have seen in Game 1 if they had gone with Tim, prepped him training camp, and game-planned around his development. (In other words, the Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez treatment).

He's not going to really develop until he gets the starter reps in practice and the game experience.

This nonsense about "let's just have an audition and play whoever looks best" doesn't work for potential franchise quarterbacks.

Somebody make decision. Be a man.

You'll never look foolish passing on Orton.

OrangeSe7en
05-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Context counts for a lot here. Also, Elway could very well be taking the pressure off of Tebow by trying to lower expectations.

One thing you don't hear very often is Elway raving about Orton.

orange crusher
05-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Context counts for a lot here. Also, Elway could very well be taking the pressure off of Tebow by trying to lower expectations.

I think you're right. Elway remembers what it was like when he came into the league and I think he just doesn't want everyone to set the bar too high too early.

briane
05-29-2011, 08:44 PM
With the no contact between mgmt and players, how exactly could he know where Tebow is in his development?

Thats the first thing that came to my mind when I read this. I am really rooting for Tebow. I dont want to watch this team go nowhere with orton. I would rather see quinn play than orton.

strafen
05-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Thats the first thing that came to my mind when I read this. I am really rooting for Tebow. I dont want to watch this team go nowhere with orton. I would rather see quinn play than orton.

Tebow will be fine.
I want to see him perform with the first unit; with all the pieces put together.
We will roll with Tebow at the helm.
I can't wait! :thumbs:

bombay
05-29-2011, 10:05 PM
I think Elway simply said what he believes to be true.

BroncoMan4ever
05-29-2011, 10:15 PM

this is smokescreen. plain and simple. as far as i am concerned this is a smokescreen so teams that are interested in Orton up their offers thinking we aren't sold with Tebow and that we are prepared to let it ride with Kyle again.

truly think about it, at what point has John really gotten to see any improvement in Tim's game? last year he didn't have a whole hell of a lot to do with the team, and now that he is connected to the team he has been in a position where he can't openly and freely communicate with his players.

BroncoMan4ever
05-29-2011, 10:18 PM
I agree with Elway. The 2010 season was a dumpster fire for Tebow. The Tebow we saw in those last three games is not even as good as the Tebow we would have seen in Game 1 if they had gone with Tim, prepped him training camp, and game-planned around his development. (In other words, the Sam Bradford, Matt Ryan, Mark Sanchez treatment).

He's not going to really develop until he gets the starter reps in practice and the game experience.

This nonsense about "let's just have an audition and play whoever looks best" doesn't work for potential franchise quarterbacks.

the interesting thing about Tebow's situation with how he started his 1st 3 games basically trial by fire with no real prep time and getting to know the 1st team offense, his stats over his 1st 3 starts were nearly identical to Bradford's 1st 3 starts and Bradford had the entire offseason to work with his teammates and get all the TC and preseason starter reps. Tim got very little before he got in the game.

Cito Pelon
05-30-2011, 08:37 AM

That's pretty much the book on Orton, unfortunately.

bronco militia
05-30-2011, 09:26 AM
with a new coaching staff and a lockout, I think would only be safe to assume that Tebow is stuck in his development.

HAT
05-30-2011, 09:26 AM

You mean other than calling him the starter?

Hopefully, Orton gets traded. If not, I'm hoping for a 70/30 split at QB until Tebow warrants 100%.

**** needs to be settled before the playoffs though. Don't want to see another Orton/Grossman situation.

barryr
05-30-2011, 12:01 PM
I think Tebow played very well considering the situation like others have pointed out. Not many rookie QBīs could have done that IMO. Very rarely is their much success for teams when the starting QB is not settled long before camp starts.

OrangeSe7en
05-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Hopefully, Orton gets traded. If not, I'm hoping for a 70/30 split at QB until Tebow warrants 100%.

**** needs to be settled before the playoffs though. Don't want to see another Orton/Grossman situation.

Saying Orton is the starter doesnt really qualify as raving about Orton.

Speaking of ratios, I remember Elway calling out McDaniels during the season about Orton getting too many reps. He was saying that the backups used to get more when he was playing because they might actually need to play. Regardless of who is the starter, I half expect that back up to get more reps than the past two years, which makes sense.

Jay3
05-30-2011, 03:05 PM
the interesting thing about Tebow's situation with how he started his 1st 3 games basically trial by fire with no real prep time and getting to know the 1st team offense, his stats over his 1st 3 starts were nearly identical to Bradford's 1st 3 starts and Bradford had the entire offseason to work with his teammates and get all the TC and preseason starter reps. Tim got very little before he got in the game.

Yeah. A lot of Tebow detractors and Ortonites think we're making excuses for Tebow by qualifying those first three games. But the point is not to make excuses. The point is he was that decent under the very worst of conditions.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Elway is a businessman. What he says is only a partial truth. There are elements of his game that much further along than they were at this time last year; just taking snaps under center is an example.

epicSocialism4tw
05-30-2011, 04:06 PM
This thread contains much drama with very little substance.

Elway hasn't seen a bit of Tebow since the lockout began, and Tebow hasn't been working with coaches.

Sound and fury signifying nothing.

Premier-Ace55
05-30-2011, 04:24 PM
We shouldn't worry about that comment. I'm rolling with John Elway I like his stragety up to this point. He seems to have the drive, commitment, and integrity to fix this thing. Bottom line he doesn't have great things to say about Orton either. I think it's like this.

1. Orton is soft and Elway can see it. He is a accurate Qb who is pretty bright but in pressure he cracks. Both figuratively and literally that's just real.

2. What is also real is Tim needs improvement throwing from the pocket. He has improved but his release is slow, his footwork is bad, and he was late with some of his passes.

3. Elway is not going to play his hand. Orton was the starter all last year when he was hurt Tim started. Orton is healthy now and is starter but training camp will sort it out. What is wrong with that?

Let's just let it play out. I'm sure it won't get worse than last year and if so then maybe we get Luck(y).

maher_tyler
05-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Sounds like something i would say if i was trying to trade Orton..bump his value up. Something like that coming from a HoF QB caries some weight. Could also be that he is trying to motivate Tim, letting him know that the starting position isn't going to be given to him and that he'll have to work for it!! I do not think at all Orton will even be on the starting roster come the start of the season imo.

BroncoMan4ever
05-30-2011, 09:08 PM

playoffs?

i am expecting at best a .500 season. this is a season that sets a foundation to build upon. next season adds a few more playmakers and begins to gel into a competitive unit and in 2013 we see strong football on the field.

with the Orton Tebow situation, if Tim is getting any reps at all, he needs all of them just so we have a fair assesment as to whether or not we need to keep looking for our QBOTF

BroncoMan4ever
05-30-2011, 09:13 PM
We shouldn't worry about that comment. I'm rolling with John Elway I like his stragety up to this point. He seems to have the drive, commitment, and integrity to fix this thing. Bottom line he doesn't have great things to say about Orton either. I think it's like this.

1. Orton is soft and Elway can see it. He is a accurate Qb who is pretty bright but in pressure he cracks. Both figuratively and literally that's just real.

2. What is also real is Tim needs improvement throwing from the pocket. He has improved but his release is slow, his footwork is bad, and he was late with some of his passes.

3. Elway is not going to play his hand. Orton was the starter all last year when he was hurt Tim started. Orton is healthy now and is starter but training camp will sort it out. What is wrong with that?

Let's just let it play out. I'm sure it won't get worse than last year and if so then maybe we get Luck(y).

with Tim's athletic ability i am not too worried about his release being a little slower than most NFL QBs. i believe once he gets a feel for the pro game and more work working under center his athletic ability will allow him to maneuver in the pocket and be able to work with the slower delivery. it is hard to truly assess how late a lot of his passes were. in 3 games with receivers that he for the most part never worked out with, the timing was going to be off

my main thing with Orton is, if the franchise is seriously deciding about the future of the position and whether Tim is the guy or not, Tim needs the reps. this isn't a team that is ready to compete and go deep in the playoffs. this is the season to see what you have and learn whether or not we need to be on the lookout for Luck or Barkley next year.

bowtown
05-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Anyone have an opinion on whether Tebow should be the starter next year? I think a lot of people forget we still have Orton. I wonder if we might try to trade Kyle and what his trade value will be. These are the things that keep me up at night.

epicSocialism4tw
05-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Anyone have an opinion on whether Tebow should be the starter next year? I think a lot of people forget we still have Orton. I wonder if we might try to trade Kyle and what his trade value will be. These are the things that keep me up at night.

I dont think that topic has ever been discussed at orangemane.com