PDA

View Full Version : Ever watch a video and wonder how it ends ?

Quoydogs
05-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Check it. How do you think it ends ???

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3P3a9zgzEgk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>:

TheReverend
05-26-2011, 11:58 AM
It ended like this:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4ba1BqJ4S2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archer81
05-26-2011, 12:05 PM
Three possibilities.

1. The guy falls off a cliff.
2. The bear has a bear buddy who comes in from the other side.
3. The dude wanders onto a road and gets hit by a truck.

And who the **** yells AT a bear coming at you?

:Broncos:

Quoydogs
05-26-2011, 12:06 PM
It ended like this:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4ba1BqJ4S2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Props

vancejohnson82
05-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Three possibilities.

1. The guy falls off a cliff.
2. The bear has a bear buddy who comes in from the other side.
3. The dude wanders onto a road and gets hit by a truck.

And who the **** yells AT a bear coming at you?

you're supposed to yell at a bear coming at you....actually i dont think you are supposed to back up either....but I could be wrong

Quoydogs
05-26-2011, 12:47 PM
you're supposed to yell at a bear coming at you....actually i dont think you are supposed to back up either....but I could be wrong

From what I have been taught you should

#1 Make your self look as big as possible
#2 Yell and bang sticks on trees
#3 back up slowly while keeping eye contact
#4 try to go down hill when possible. Bear can't run down hill
#5 if all else fails play dead and hope like hell he does not rag doll you that long. or in my case pull out my sidearm and unload.

vancejohnson82
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM

#5 if all else fails play dead and hope like hell he does not rag doll you that long. or in my case pull out my sidearm and unload.

ok cool...didnt know about the hill thing

I wish the same strategy worked against crackheads

spdirty
05-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't know if I could keep myself from running. Even though it's what you're suppose to do, it would be freaking hard to act like I'm challenging a bear to a fight.

broncocalijohn
05-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Three possibilities.

2. The bear has a bear buddy who comes in from the other side.3. The dude wanders onto a road and gets hit by a truck.

Does this have anything to do with Deliverance?

TheReverend
05-26-2011, 01:25 PM
I don't know if I could keep myself from running. Even though it's what you're suppose to do, it would be freaking hard to act like I'm challenging a bear to a fight.

Yup. I like to at least think of myself as a pretty brave guy, but I gotta feeling I'd either run like a bitch or freeze while pissing myself at an approaching bear.

Kaylore
05-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Bear's can run downhill and they will.

http://www.mountainnature.com/wildlife/bears/bearencounters.htm

Situation 3 - Bear has detected you and shows signs of aggression

If you have followed the advice listed above, hopefully you have a bit of distance between the bear and yourself. You'll need to

Assess the situation. Are you dealing with a black bear or a grizzly? Are there cubs involved? Are there climbable trees nearby (and do you have sufficient time to climb them)?

Do Not Run. You can't outrun a bear so don't even try. Despite rumours to the contrary, black and grizzly bears can outrun a human on ANY terrain, uphill or down. People will tell you that you should run downhill when chased by a grizzly. This is simply a myth - don't try it!

Try to retreat slowly. Back up slowly and try to put more space between you and the bear. Talk calmly so that it can identify you as human, and slowly back up. Keep your backpack on as it can provide protection if necessary. Don't make direct eye contact, but keep a close look at the bear as you back away.

Climb a tree if available. If you have enough time, and the bear continues to move closer, take advantage of a tall tree to climb. Remember, black bears are strong climbers as well. Grizzlies have also climbed short distances up trees after people. You want to get at least 10 m (33 feet) high to reduce the chance of being pulled out of the tree. Even though some bears can come up the tree after you, the hope is that they will feel less threatened, and thus less likely to chase you up the tree.

If the bear charges you. Bears will often bluff charge before attacking. This is designed to allow enemies to back down before the bear needs to actually make contact. It evolved as a way to prevent encounters with enemies and it may provide you with an opportunity to back away.

Use your pepper spray. This is a last resort. Pepper spray is only good at very close range (5 m or 15 ft). Wind will reduce this effective range even farther (and may blow the spray back into your face). If the bear approaches within this range, point the spray at its eyes and discharge the contents. Hopefully, this will either disorient the bear to allow you to escape, or at the very least deter it from attacking. Once you have partially discharged a canister of bear spray it should be discarded. While the spray may deter attacks, the smell of pepper can act as an attractor.

Black Bear - click for more informationIf a black bear (or any bear that is stalking you) makes contact. If the attack escalates and a black bear (or any bear that appears to have been stalking you) physically contacts you, fight back with anything that is available to you. Black bears tend to be more timid than grizzlies and fighting back may scare the bear off. In addition, if a bear is stalking you than you are in a predatory situation and fighting back is your only option. This also applies to any attack at night as these may also be considered predatory in nature.

If a grizzly makes contact. As above, if you believe the bear to be stalking you, fight back with everything you have. In general though, playing dead in a daytime grizzly encounter tends to reduce the level of injury sustained by most attack victims. Many grizzly attacks are defensive in nature, and playing dead may show the bear that you are not a threat. Keep your backpack on as it will provide added protection. The best position is to lie on your side in a fetal position. Bring your legs up to your chest and bury your head into your legs. Wrap your arms around your legs and hold on tight. You may also lie on your stomach, backpack on, and place your hands behind your neck to protect that vulnerable area. Do not play dead until the last moment. Staying on your feet may allow you to dodge, or divert an attack.

After the attack. Once the attack has ended, remain patient. After a few minutes, try to determine if the bear is still in the area. If the bear has moved on, you should make your way towards assistance as quickly as possible.

Quoydogs
05-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Bear's can run downhill and they will.

http://www.mountainnature.com/wildlife/bears/bearencounters.htm

Situation 3 - Bear has detected you and shows signs of aggression

If you have followed the advice listed above, hopefully you have a bit of distance between the bear and yourself. You'll need to

Assess the situation. Are you dealing with a black bear or a grizzly? Are there cubs involved? Are there climbable trees nearby (and do you have sufficient time to climb them)?

Do Not Run. You can't outrun a bear so don't even try. Despite rumors to the contrary, black and grizzly bears can outrun a human on ANY terrain, uphill or down. People will tell you that you should run downhill when chased by a grizzly. This is simply a myth - don't try it!

Try to retreat slowly. Back up slowly and try to put more space between you and the bear. Talk calmly so that it can identify you as human, and slowly back up. Keep your backpack on as it can provide protection if necessary. Don't make direct eye contact, but keep a close look at the bear as you back away.

Climb a tree if available. If you have enough time, and the bear continues to move closer, take advantage of a tall tree to climb. Remember, black bears are strong climbers as well. Grizzlies have also climbed short distances up trees after people. You want to get at least 10 m (33 feet) high to reduce the chance of being pulled out of the tree. Even though some bears can come up the tree after you, the hope is that they will feel less threatened, and thus less likely to chase you up the tree.

If the bear charges you. Bears will often bluff charge before attacking. This is designed to allow enemies to back down before the bear needs to actually make contact. It evolved as a way to prevent encounters with enemies and it may provide you with an opportunity to back away.

Use your pepper spray. This is a last resort. Pepper spray is only good at very close range (5 m or 15 ft). Wind will reduce this effective range even farther (and may blow the spray back into your face). If the bear approaches within this range, point the spray at its eyes and discharge the contents. Hopefully, this will either disorient the bear to allow you to escape, or at the very least deter it from attacking. Once you have partially discharged a canister of bear spray it should be discarded. While the spray may deter attacks, the smell of pepper can act as an attractor.

Black Bear - click for more informationIf a black bear (or any bear that is stalking you) makes contact. If the attack escalates and a black bear (or any bear that appears to have been stalking you) physically contacts you, fight back with anything that is available to you. Black bears tend to be more timid than grizzlies and fighting back may scare the bear off. In addition, if a bear is stalking you than you are in a predatory situation and fighting back is your only option. This also applies to any attack at night as these may also be considered predatory in nature.

If a grizzly makes contact. As above, if you believe the bear to be stalking you, fight back with everything you have. In general though, playing dead in a daytime grizzly encounter tends to reduce the level of injury sustained by most attack victims. Many grizzly attacks are defensive in nature, and playing dead may show the bear that you are not a threat. Keep your backpack on as it will provide added protection. The best position is to lie on your side in a fetal position. Bring your legs up to your chest and bury your head into your legs. Wrap your arms around your legs and hold on tight. You may also lie on your stomach, backpack on, and place your hands behind your neck to protect that vulnerable area. Do not play dead until the last moment. Staying on your feet may allow you to dodge, or divert an attack.

After the attack. Once the attack has ended, remain patient. After a few minutes, try to determine if the bear is still in the area. If the bear has moved on, you should make your way towards assistance as quickly as possible.

I disagree I have encountered many bears, now I always have a sidearm so I am a bit braver and only once have I ran into a griz.

90 percent of the time if you just stand up and make yourself big and yell at it will back off. You can even see it in that video. Now he most likely did something bad to piss that bear off. I have never had one try and track me down like that.

Climbing a tree is a bad Idea. I have watched a black bear climb a tree 500 time faster then I ever could and not only do you now have to deal with the bear but if you fall 33 feet as that says then you have more worries the the bear.

As far as down hill yes they can run but they have trouble with it. Seen it with you own eyeballs.

I guess everyone has there opinion and I will admit if it weren't for my 357 I would probably look at it in a whole new light. But in general if a wild animal of any kind comes up against a defenseless animal like that article says you should be then they will charge you. If there is a chance that you will inflict injury on them and there is a safe way out for them they will leave. It's just not worth the chance to them.

DemonEagles
05-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Damon Huard must have been attacked by a bear, that's why his fetal position is so correct

maher_tyler
05-26-2011, 04:08 PM

As soon as i got behind a group of trees and it couldn't see me..it'd be hard for me to try to hide or run to...

Jay3
05-26-2011, 05:55 PM

So this part seems unfinished. What do I do? If he charges me, "back down" or "back away?"

I guess it means don't assume the first charge is the "all bets are off" and start fighting. Back away and he might stop the charge?

Jay3
05-26-2011, 05:55 PM
It just seems better if you're with somebody, because then you don't actually have to outrun the bear . . . .

Quoydogs
05-26-2011, 06:14 PM
It just seems better if you're with somebody, because then you don't actually have to outrun the bear . . . .

This :spit: I don't have to out run the bear, I just have to out run you.

Taco John
05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
ok cool...didnt know about the hill thing

I wish the same strategy worked against crackheads

I ran into some tweakers in the woods once. That was freaky.

theStifmeister
05-26-2011, 08:14 PM
yeah, it was 2 girls 1 cup. and it ended with me being scarred for life