PDA

View Full Version : MLB Situation

Killericon
04-29-2011, 10:38 AM
So, hopefully we use DJ at the Will and Von at the Sam in our new 4-3. Who mans the middle? Mays? A Free Agent? Any thoughts?

Tombstone RJ
04-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Either Woodyard or Mays?

boppool
04-29-2011, 10:40 AM
Martez Wilson in round 2

Killericon
04-29-2011, 10:41 AM
Either Woodyard or Mays?

Think they have the goods? You wouldn't try to sign a Posluszny or a McIntosh?

Tombstone RJ
04-29-2011, 10:43 AM
Think they have the goods? You wouldn't try to sign a Posluszny or a McIntosh?

Woodyard has the speed, but maybe not the size. Both are aggressive.

Dedhed
I think getting DJ out of the middle is more important than almost anything else we do this off-season. I don't think we have a replacement on the current roster, but we need one desperately.

Maybe one of the picks today addresses the Mike spot, maybe FA, maybe Mays. Woodyard doesn't work there.

Requiem
Don't bring in Martez. Fox likes him, but he isn't instinctual.

My hope is to land Mason Foster @ #46 or #67 -- or in a trade down from #46.

Garcia Bronco
04-29-2011, 10:44 AM
It'll be the drunk

Agamemnon
04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Mays' lack of speed hurts him at MLB (which is partially why he was cut by the Eagles). Woodyard is too small for Mike (good stopgap at Will though). And I highly doubt we will find a quality starting MLB in free agency (we might draft one, but if it's 3rd round or later don't look for an immediate impact). Right now I have a hard time seeing anyone other than Williams at Mike (and he really was pretty solid at the position before).

My projected LB roster at the moment:

SLB: Miller, Haggan
MLB: Williams, Mays
WLB: Woodyard, "new guy"

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Mays' lack of speed hurts him at MLB (which is partially why he was cut by the Eagles). Woodyard is too small for Mike (good stopgap at Will though). And I highly doubt we will find a quality MLB in free agency. Right now I have a hard time seeing anyone other than Williams at Mike (and he really was pretty solid at the position before).

WLB: Woodyard, ???
Any scenario with DJ in the middle blows.

Tombstone RJ
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Mays' lack of speed hurts him at MLB (which is partially why he was cut by the Eagles). Woodyard is too small for Mike (good stopgap at Will though). And I highly doubt we will find a quality MLB in free agency. Right now I have a hard time seeing anyone other than Williams at Mike (and he really was pretty solid at the position before).

WLB: Woodyard, ???

SLB: Miller, Mays
MLB: Irving, Larsen
WLB: Williams, Woodyard

Is the MLB taken care of?

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Don't bring in Martez. Fox likes him, but he isn't instinctual.

My hope is to land Mason Foster @ #46 or #67 -- or in a trade down from #46.

Can Foster play Mike? I love the kid, but he played outside in Washington. Martez seems brutally stiff to me as well as not being very instinctual.

Killericon
04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Any love for the idea of getting Paul Posluszny?

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 10:51 AM
No one on the roster.

With the addition of Miller and his skill as a pass rusher in passing downs, we need someone who can COVER with DJ at a LB spot.

Agamemnon
Any scenario with DJ in the middle blows.

Not sure why. He was solid in his one year at the position behind a swiss cheese line.

TheReverend
Any love for the idea of getting Paul Posluszny?

Yes, I proposed it yesterday. Need to see if the new CBA makes an UFA first though.

Agamemnon
04-29-2011, 10:54 AM
MLB: Haggan, Larsen

Williams may be the odd man out.

Haggan is a terrible fit for a MLB. He's far too large and slow to cover the ground a MLB needs to cover.

Tombstone RJ
04-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Haggan is a terrible fit for a MLB. He's far too large and slow to cover the ground a MLB needs to cover.

Yah, he's big but that's about it.

bowtown
04-29-2011, 10:58 AM
MLB: Haggan, Larsen

Williams may be the odd man out.

I thought we were finally past this dillusion that Spencer Larson was ever actually going to be playing MLB for us.

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 10:58 AM

He played great at MLB in 2008 when DJ was hurt. I agree that he can't cover that well and with the Miller selection we NEED someone that CAN cover.

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 10:59 AM
I thought we were finally past this dillusion that Spencer Larson was ever actually going to be playing MLB for us.

He definitely could if he wasn't a Mormon.

Tombstone RJ
04-29-2011, 11:00 AM

Who knows as of right now? We don't know what Fox thinks about Larsen, all we know is that he prefers speedy linebackers.

bowtown
04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
He played great at MLB in 2008 when DJ was hurt. I agree that he can't cover that well and with the Miller selection we NEED someone that CAN cover.

Yep, MLB is Haggan's natural position. Unless we upgrade in FA, Haggan will be the starter in the middle come opening day if we decide to use Williams at Will. I prefer to have Haggan as our 4th LB, but we could do worse than to have him in the middle. He's a good leader and is smart.

Smiling Assassin27
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
how about a guy like barrett ruud or stephen tulloch?

bowtown
04-29-2011, 11:01 AM
He definitely could if he wasn't a Mormon.

I thought MLB stood for Mormon Linebacker

Killericon
04-29-2011, 11:04 AM
how about a guy like barrett ruud or stephen tulloch?

Ruud, Tulloch, McIntosh, or especially Posluszny would get me pretty hard.

ColoradoDarin
04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
If we're limited to who is on the roster right now, I say put Mays in the middle on 1st & 2nd, and go with DJ & Von in nickel situations.

ColoradoDarin
04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Ruud, Tulloch, McIntosh, or especially Posluszny would get me pretty hard.

any of them would be an upgrade

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Not sure why. He was solid in his one year at the position behind a swiss cheese line.

And by solid I can only assume you mean that he was the "leader" of the worst defense in the league.

Carmelo15
04-29-2011, 11:12 AM
Two words: Vontaze Burflict
http://youtu.be/KvcsffTQojI

Seriously if we select him and Ray Ray Armstrong next year I will be stupid hyped!

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 11:18 AM
If we're limited to who is on the roster right now, I say put Mays in the middle on 1st & 2nd, and go with DJ & Von in nickel situations.

Don't forget that drafting Von pretty much guarantees 3-3-5 nickel sets.

Requiem
04-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Yes, Mason Foster can play ILB.

He's played all three spots.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 11:20 AM

Seriously if we select him and Ray Ray Armstrong next year I will be stupid hyped!
I LOOOOVVVEEEE Burfict. Dude has a screw loose, but he's a complete beast.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes, Mason Foster can play ILB.

He's played all three spots.

I would love him at #67. Miller, Foster, DJ would be a hugely improved LB unit.

Carmelo15
04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I LOOOOVVVEEEE Burfict. Dude has a screw loose, but he's a complete beast.

D.J.-Burflict-Von LB corps?! hijo de la chingada!

Killericon
04-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I would love him at #67. Miller, Foster, DJ would be a hugely improved LB unit.

Paea and Foster in round 2 would be insane.

ICON
04-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Stephen Tulloch (TEN) Tulloch has had a better season in the middle of the Titans defense than most would have expected coming into the year. He trails only Jerod Mayo in tackles and has been just as good as his numbers indicate. He does a good job in the hole and cleans up plays.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 11:29 AM
Paea and Foster in round 2 would be insane.

Foster should fall to us in the 3rd, but clearly there are no guarantees there. I think there are better players on the board at #46.

Killericon
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Foster should fall to us in the 3rd, but clearly there are no guarantees there. I think there are better players on the board at #46.

All I know is that if this gets all McDaniels/Shanahan on me and we take a Safety, a TE and an injured WR today, I'll lose my ****ing ****.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 11:31 AM
D.J.-Burflict-Von LB corps?! hijo de la chingada!

That would be nasty, although it probably takes another top 10 pick to snag him.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 11:32 AM
All I know is that if this gets all McDaniels/Shanahan on me and we take a Safety, a TE and an injured WR today, I'll lose my ****ing ****.

Ha. I know. I just want solid, non-injured, defenders and maybe an OT.

jhns
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Who knows as of right now? We don't know what Fox thinks about Larsen, all we know is that he prefers speedy linebackers.

Ummm, what? Between Woodyard in the middle and the above, you have made me laugh a lot. Larsen failed to get picked as a LB in the draft because he was too slow. How does Gox liking speedy LBers support Larsen playing LB?

Carmelo15
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
That would be nasty, although it probably takes another top 10 pick to snag him.

I expect us to pick around #12-18 next year. A 4-3 MLB rarely goes higher than #10. Hell Patrick Willis went #11

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I expect us to pick around #12-18 next year. A 4-3 MLB rarely goes higher than #10. Hell Patrick Willis went #11

It would be sick. I think the kid is the next Ray Lewis/Mike Singletary. If he matures just a touch next year he'll be every bit the prospect that Willis was.

Cito Pelon
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Either Woodyard or Mays?

Mays has great instincts at MLB. Spencer Larsen also. And both of them can hit and tackle. Fox said the cupboard isn't bare, and that's true.

Killericon
04-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Mays has great instincts at MLB. Spencer Larsen also. And both of them can hit and tackle. Fox said the cupboard isn't bare, and that's true.

If we went with Mays, wouldn't that leave us rather screwed against a team with a TE like Gates and a RB like, say, Jacob Hester?

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 12:08 PM
It would be sick. I think the kid is the next Ray Lewis/Mike Singletary. If he matures just a touch next year he'll be every bit the prospect that Willis was.

He'll have to get faster if he wants to be in that pedigree. 4.7 guy as he's currently projected.

bowtown
04-29-2011, 12:09 PM
If we went with Mays, wouldn't that leave us rather screwed against a team with a TE like Gates and a RB like, say, Jacob Hester?

We never use our LBs to cover Gates anyway. What we really need is for McBath to stay healthy.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
He'll have to get faster if he wants to be in that pedigree. 4.7 guy as he's currently projected.

I mean from an impact/intensity standpoint. Not necessarily in style of play/measureables.

Carmelo15
04-29-2011, 12:14 PM
He can absolutely be that good. I'm already excited about the scenario of him in orange and blue. Guess we'll find out in 365 days ha

Bronco Yoda
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
You can never get enough LB's IMO. Also improves the Special Teams at the same time.

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 12:21 PM
I mean from an impact/intensity standpoint. Not necessarily in style of play/measureables.

I really like him too.

I do affectionately refer to him as "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" though :~ohyah!:

Carmelo15
04-29-2011, 12:23 PM
I really like him too.

He's not dirty though. He just plays aggressive and mean like the generation before him. Not his fault the game was been weened down. He squares up and hits guys like he tries to go through them. As does Ray Ray Armstrong SS from the U

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
I really like him too.

Oh yeah, he's a complete loose cannon, which is part of what makes him a beast out there. He needs to mature a little, but not at the expense of toning down the intensity he plays with.

He's a guy that will scare offensive guys because he may actually want to kill them.

Killericon
04-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah, he's a complete loose cannon, which is part of what makes him a beast out there. He needs to mature a little, but not at the expense of toning down the intensity he plays with.

He's a guy that will scare offensive guys because he may actually want to kill them.

Who are you talking about again?

http://www.hoosfootball.com/files/ray_lewis.jpg

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
He's not dirty though. He just plays aggressive and mean like the generation before him. Not his fault the game was been weened down. He squares up and hits guys like he tries to go through them. As does Ray Ray Armstrong SS from the U

Let's be real.

He's mean and aggressive and physically dominating.

But he plays dumber than **** too. Yelling at officials in a tight game? I'll bet he has over 10 personal fouls AFTER the play is over.

alkemical
04-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, I proposed it yesterday. Need to see if the new CBA makes an UFA first though.

I'd like him a whole lot better if he didn't break as much as he does.

Carmelo15
04-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Let's be real.

But he plays dumber than **** too. Yelling at officials in a tight game? I'll bet he has over 10 personal fouls AFTER the play is over.

I've heard about this but didn't know to what extent he loses his head. Initially I thought it sounded overblown but I'll take your word for it. I haven't seen enough of it first hand to judge for myself. But having said that I still would love to have him. Let Von show him the way....:~ohyah!:

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2011, 12:37 PM
living in Tampa, i can tell you i wouldn't be thrilled about Ruud...

he's the sort that will make the tackle but 5 yrds past the line of scrimmage...

he's a stop gap at best...

tsiguy96
04-29-2011, 12:38 PM
mason foster possibly?

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 12:39 PM
I've heard about this but didn't know to what extent he loses his head. Initially I thought it sounded overblown but I'll take your word for it. I haven't seen enough of it first hand to judge for myself. But having said that I still would love to have him. Let Von show him the way....:~ohyah!:

Yup, if he can get himself under control this season and outperform his expected speed up into the 4.5 range, he'll be a monster prospect.

I'd like him a whole lot better if he didn't break as much as he does.

He hasn't missed all that much time really. Most of his rookie year and 4 total games in the last 3 seasons.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Let's be real.

He definitely needs to learn the difference between being aggressive, mean, and intimidating and just being plain stupid.

I'd take the chance that I could teach him that though.

Killericon
04-29-2011, 12:42 PM
living in Tampa, i can tell you i wouldn't be thrilled about Ruud...

he's the sort that will make the tackle but 5 yrds past the line of scrimmage...

he's a stop gap at best...

Between DJ at his natural position and Von Miller, I'm looking for competency, not necessarily excellence. I think Ruud would do just fine.

listopencil
04-29-2011, 12:43 PM

I was thinking when we drafted Miller that Larsen with Mays backing him up might work.

blake65
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
:thumbs::thumbs:Stephen Tulloch (TEN) Tulloch has had a better season in the middle of the Titans defense than most would have expected coming into the year. He trails only Jerod Mayo in tackles and has been just as good as his numbers indicate. He does a good job in the hole and cleans up plays.

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 12:47 PM
He definitely needs to learn the difference between being aggressive, mean, and intimidating and just being plain stupid.

I'd take the chance that I could teach him that though.

Agree. Just pointing out he absolutely isn't a "Willis"-esque player.

Yet.

Carmelo15
04-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Agree. Just pointing out he absolutely isn't a "Willis"-esque player.

Yet.

Patrick Willis is the best defensive player in the league in my eyes. So I would agree with you. Burfict reminds me more of Jonathan Vilma

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Between DJ at his natural position and Von Miller, I'm looking for competency, not necessarily excellence. I think Ruud would do just fine.

i don't disagree with that concept but what i'm saying is you can pretty much get what Ruud offers from someone else on our roster...or a FA that won't cost as much...

Ruud's numbers look better than his game tape....not worth it...

find a stop gap elsewhere...

Killericon
04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
i don't disagree with that concept but what i'm saying is you can pretty much get what Ruud offers from someone else on our roster...or a FA that won't cost as much...

Ruud's numbers look better than his game tape....not worth it...

find a stop gap elsewhere...

Good to know. I've not seen enough of the Buccs to say. My Tampa fan pal seems to like him, but you are probably right. Obviously, I'm still all over Posluszny.

ColoradoBuff
04-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Wilson or Sturdivant!

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Good to know. I've not seen enough of the Buccs to say. My Tampa fan pal seems to like him, but you are probably right. Obviously, I'm still all over Posluszny.

yessir...good call...

Kaylore
04-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Let's be real.

Yeah you beat me to it. Dumb penalties at dumb times are not helpful.

oubronco
04-29-2011, 01:20 PM

We should be set then

2a Paea
2b Williams
3 Foster

Make it happen tonight EFX

alkemical
04-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Yup, if he can get himself under control this season and outperform his expected speed up into the 4.5 range, he'll be a monster prospect.

He hasn't missed all that much time really. Most of his rookie year and 4 total games in the last 3 seasons.

I thought he missed some time @ PSU too.... I could very well be wrong, but it seems PSU guys break in the NFL.

oubronco
04-29-2011, 01:27 PM

Hell Yea give me this guy!! He's nuts

I love the one where he hits through the pulling guard and tackles the RB