PDA

View Full Version : Teams can now make trades?? Maybe!!

driver
04-29-2011, 07:32 AM
The nfl just cleared teams to resume normal operations as of 8 am EDT.
We can make some trades now. anybody need a QB.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiMPXQaWpyaeq43IL3Mhvmw5nYcB?slug=ap-nfllabor

oubronco
04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
WooHoo

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2011, 07:33 AM

from what i understand, players will not be traded today...

tsiguy96
04-29-2011, 07:34 AM
Xanders said team has already received 2 trade proposals heading into today's 2nd/3rd rounds.

from lindsay jones...i dont wnat them to trade back, want BPA hopefully its a DT.

Rabb
04-29-2011, 07:34 AM
yeah I think you are incorrect about the trades part, I think today players and coaches can start talking, distribute playbooks and begin OTAs and workouts

Chris
04-29-2011, 07:38 AM
So in what instance would everything shut down again

Crushaholic
04-29-2011, 07:40 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiMPXQaWpyaeq43IL3Mhvmw5nYcB?slug=ap-nfllabor

Denver does...or are you willing to go with Quinn backing up Tebow? Hilarious!

Rabb
04-29-2011, 07:41 AM
I may have missed it in the link you added, but I don't see trades as being mentioned in there as being "on"

you really need to change the thread title

driver
04-29-2011, 07:42 AM
yeah I think you are incorrect about the trades part, I think today players and coaches can start talking, distribute playbooks and begin OTAs and workouts

I hope you're wrong about this because we need the picks." Normal operations" should includes trades of player contracts shouldn't it?

Smiling Assassin27
04-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Denver does...or are you willing to go with Quinn backing up Tebow? Hilarious!

We have our backup qb in the front office, man! Get Brian Griese a uni and we've filled out our qb rotation! :~ohyah!:

p.s. What are John Dutton and Jeff Lewis doing?

tsiguy96
04-29-2011, 07:43 AM
i think they technically CAN make trades, but no one is going to...

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2011, 07:45 AM
i dont wnat them to trade back, want BPA hopefully its a DT.

yeah trading back is certainly not something i wanna see in the 2nd round...

i've chomping at the bit for Denver to be on the clock with their 2nd rounders...

moving back would mean lessening the talent level we draft...

Boobs McGee
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
I don't think they can, yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6442393

"The best way to proceed is for the veterans to start working out at facilities [Friday], and then we'll set up the process of starting the league year, which would include player trades and player signings."

and

Agent Drew Rosenhaus, though, said he'd like for signings and trades to take place during the draft.
"I've been calling teams, and I've been told they've been advised by the NFL to hold off on signings or trades until further notice," Rosenhaus said.

Judge Susan Nelson's Report

http://a.espncdn.com/i/teamlogos/leagues/med/nfl.gif On April 27, two days after lifting the lockout, U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson denied the NFL's request to put her ruling on hold. Read the report here. Report (PDF) (http://a.espncdn.com/media/pdf/110427/order.pdf)

Attorneys for the players said the decision lifting the lockout "is in full, immediate force."
"It is our view that the NFL and the clubs will be in contempt of court if they do not comply with the order," lawyers James Quinn and Jeffrey Kessler wrote.

Looks like things have been set in motion, but nothing official yet

BHamita
04-29-2011, 07:52 AM
moving back would mean lessening the talent level we draft...

Not necessarily true. It really depends on how Denver has the draft graded.

Rabb
04-29-2011, 07:53 AM
the way yesterday went, I am not banking on anyone going "where they should" so I hope if there is a guy we want...we go after him no matter what early

driver
04-29-2011, 07:55 AM
yeah trading back is certainly not something i wanna see in the 2nd round...

i've chomping at the bit for Denver to be on the clock with their 2nd rounders...moving back would mean lessening the talent level we draft...

Me too.
I wasn't talking about a trade back , I was thinking about a trade Orton for picks in the 2nd or 3rd and 4th rnd. I think he's worth a 2&3 or a 2 & 2-4's.

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Me too.
I wasn't talking about a trade back , I was thinking about a trade Orton for picks in the 2nd or 3rd and 4th rnd. I think he's worth a 2&3 or a 2 & 2-4's.

that would make my weekend if that happened...

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Trades are not allowed yet. The article seems to imply that it'll happen by monday, which is nice and all, but I was hoping to get something for Orton.

Old Dude
04-29-2011, 08:02 AM
I don't have any kind of link, but I heard on the radio that the league "may" allow trades prior to the start of the 2d round. There might be an announcement later today, which is probably why phone calls are already being made.

driver
04-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Normal operations should include trades of players under contract. Shouldn't It.

Chris
04-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Trade Orton to the Cards for their 2nd rounder.

Kaylore
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM
No one here can read, apparently.

In a call with New York Jets season-ticket holders, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league will hold a conference call later Friday morning to address player transaction rules.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Normal operations should include trades of players under contract. Shouldn't It.

It should, but the owners are playing the "wait a minute! let us get all our papers in order!" card right now, and saying they need to lay out the ground rules and things. With no CBA, it does sorta make sense.

Still, I'm hopeful that the way is cleared by the end of the day so we can have some trade action tonight.

Rabb
04-29-2011, 08:06 AM
No one here can read, apparently.

I saw that, but it doesn't imply that trading is on right now

I hope it gets done by draft time

Kaylore
04-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I saw that, but it doesn't imply that trading is on right now

I hope it gets done by draft time

Actually it does in that players transactions, including trades, apparently aren't on right now and won't be until at least after the conference call, and more likely, in a few days I would guess.

listopencil
04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Trades have been OK since the judges ruling, her statement yesterday confirmed that. It's just a matter of when the owners/Goodell decide to start doing it. If they wait too long they risk being penalized for collusion.

driver
04-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Changed the thread title just for Rabb.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-29-2011, 08:16 AM
Now the thread title is reflective of the content. Nice work.

It also reads like a Peter King prediction.

"I think that trades are now allowed. But maybe not. Probably 22.5% allowed at this moment, with a chance to move up to 44.5% later this afternoon, and 85.9% this evening prior to the draft. Maybe. But that's a strong 85.9%."

"Now let me tell you what I think of the Baltimore Orioles."

Rabb
04-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Changed the thread title just for Rabb.

Hilarious!

ok rep for that, you made me burst out on a conference call

listopencil
04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
(Nelson) insisted that her order was simply an end to the lockout, not a prohibition of the player constraints like franchise and transition tags that help the league maintain competitive balance.

“ There is no injunction in place preventing the NFL from exercising, under its hoped-for protection of the labor laws, any of its rights to negotiate terms and conditions of employment, such as free agency.”

"The league may choose to act in accordance with its expressed belief that the players remain a union and that they have reached a state of impasse, or the League may choose to chart a different course, implementing a version of the 2010 player system, or something different altogether," she wrote. "Like any defendant in any lawsuit, defendants themselves must make a decision about how to proceed and accept the consequences of their decision."

As I see it, NFL teams are free to (in good faith) continue to operate as they have been under the CBA. This includes drafting, trading and using the Free Agency system. They are also free to operate under a different set of rules than the CBA allows or under no rules whatsoever. They have been warned that in any case whatever actions they take will be examined and judged upon. The best move I could imagine them making would be to have a meeting of the owners and Goodell to decide how to proceed, then have Goodell announce the results to the media. As time goes by the likelihood increases for situations to crop up that may end badly for individual owners and the league as a whole.

From another thread about this.

teknic
04-29-2011, 11:06 AM
The lockout is back on. The owners were granted a stay of the ruling from the court of appeals.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/report-owners-get-stay-of-injunction-lockout-back-on/

EDIT: Maybe there won't be a stay granted...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/temporary-stay-expected-espn-retracts-report-that-stay-was-granted/

That's what I get for trusting PFT without knowing that their source is ESPN....

Old Dude
04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
So much for that.

oubronco
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I knew this was going to happen

listopencil
04-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Honestly, they may NEED to be granted a temporary stay just to avoid being found guilty of collusion.