PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else appreciating how our FO has...

OrangeSe7en
04-28-2011, 11:13 PM
kept the ball in the middle of the fairway where the draft is concerned? By that, I mean, we had one pick, a high one, that was sensible and addressed a need. My first choice would have been a DT, but Miller also makes sense provided they maximize him.

But beyond that, we havent been involved in any crazy trades. Whe havent been racetracking all up and down the board just to take a non-need that was a high injury risk. We havent jumped the gun and traded any picks next year to take an undersized CB in the 2nd.

Time will tell if to see if they take this more understated but sensible approach but Im liking it so far. Every time they were talkign about a trade tonight, I was half expecting it to be us. Ive been so conditioned to expect something crazy by the past two years.

broncocalijohn
04-28-2011, 11:17 PM
I wouldnt have dropped a few spots to get more picks but I think Von Miller will be a good player for the Broncos. I dont think Bowers will be there for our first pick on Friday but I hope those few picks ahead of us go offense. Pick'ns are getting a tad slimmer with all the Front 7 guys going in the first round.

SoCalBronco
04-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I realize that given the utter state of disrepair that our franchise is in (thanks old man, you POS), our expectations are pretty low (i.e. anything other than massive ****ups are fine), I'm still going to refrain from praising our FO simply for not completely and utterly ****ing up in every way. I'm not thrilled with this pick, but yes, its not a huge ****up.

On the other hand, since our FO is so underwhelming in many ways, maybe they should get some props for doing better than an F-.

The Joker
04-28-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't understand how you can spew so much hate towards Bowlen, SoCal?

Fair enough if you disagree with some of his decisions over the last few years, but he was our owner for 2 Superbowl wins, 5 AFC Championship wins and over two decades of being consistently competitive before that.

Surely the man deserves better than being referred to as a piece of ****?

SoCalBronco
04-28-2011, 11:37 PM

Fair enough if you disagree with some of his decisions over the last few years, but he was our owner for 2 Superbowl wins, 5 AFC Championship wins and over two decades of being consistently competitive before that.

You don't understand how I can hate Bowlen? Really? Open your eyes, man.

This guy has done so much harm to us, its unreal. He's a complete and utter joke in his present form and he has been for some time. I don't want to turn this thread into something about Bowlen as that isnt the OP's intent, but I'll privately PM you a laundry list of detailed reasons re: Bowlen if you want. I have absolutely no regard for him...whatsoever. He doesn't deserve anything. He used to be a great owner, yes, but he's just destroyed everything and repeatedly ****ed up over and over. I'll never forgive him for a bunch of stuff. I hope he's happy with what he's done.

footstepsfrom#27
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Let's see what they do tomorrow.

broncocalijohn
04-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Schism, to SoCal it has everything to do with Bowlen firing Shanny. Forget the fact that Shanny was fing up this team and many didnt see it then (including me). Bowlen's problem was hiring McDaniels and it got worse. At least SoCal didnt go Atlas crazy and bail on the team.

The Joker
04-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Hey, I'm not attacking you, just bewildered.

PM me, I'd be interested to read your takes.

Taco John
04-28-2011, 11:46 PM

I can't speak for SoCal, but I personally believe we'd have been in the playoffs last year, and maybe even gone as far as the AFC Championship game if we'd have stayed the course we were on. That offense we had put together was sick, and at the time we had more draft picks and cap room to use to address the defense than we had in history. Shanahan had stockpiled and put us in a good situation for that offseason.

That said, I like how it feels having Elway in the front office. It doesn't take away the wrench in my gut over what might have been, but I hold no malice for Bowlen over it anymore.

...Josh on the other hand...

24champ
04-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Let's see what they do tomorrow.

Yeah...its a little early to be praising the FO.

SoCalBronco
04-28-2011, 11:51 PM
Hey, I'm not attacking you, just bewildered.

PM me, I'd be interested to read your takes.

PM sent per your request.

Kaylore
04-28-2011, 11:52 PM
I can't speak for SoCal, but I personally believe we'd have been in the playoffs last year, and maybe even gone as far as the AFC Championship game if we'd have stayed the course we were on. That offense we had put together was sick, and at the time we had more draft picks and cap room to use to address the defense than we had in history. Shanahan had stockpiled and put us in a good situation for that offseason.

That said, I like how it feels having Elway in the front office. It doesn't take away the wrench in my gut over what might have been, but I hold no malice for Bowlen over it anymore.
Bob Slowick.

You still have never given me answer to that.

enjolras
04-28-2011, 11:53 PM
This front office passed the first day with flying colors IMHO. They took a player I really like, and more importantly, didn't get roped into a bad deal. It's been reported that Baltimore worked on them (up to the point they didn't get their pick in), and watching the war room it was clear that they were fielding a lot of calls.

After years of wheeling and dealing in the draft, it was nice to see us hold our ground for once. Tomorrow is setup to be a big day in round two and with free agency apparently ready to get underway, we'll know what we have in this front office really soon now.

The Joker
04-28-2011, 11:57 PM

All very fair criticisms of the man but to hold actual hate for him because he's made some poor decisions these last few years?

Seems OTT to me.

It's like those who believe Shanahan needed to go. By all means you can believe a change was for the best, and indeed be happy when he's gone, but once he's gone you should surely salute him as the man who brought us two Superbowls rather than criticise him for the shabby defenses he sent out his last few years?

The Joker
04-28-2011, 11:59 PM
PM sent per your request.

Thanks.

Actually just going out the door here but will have a proper read of it when I get home again in a couple of hours.

SoCalBronco
04-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Bob Slowick.

Bowlen could have fired him through his inherent authority as owner. There you go, problem solved. Incidentally, I don't think any of these guys simply stopped knowing how to coach football, i.e. Jim Bates, Bob Slowik etc. The real problem was a lack of talent. Shanny acknowledged as much and indicated after the fact that he was going to devote basically the entire offseason and draft to the defense. While our hit rate in the draft was not as high on defense as it was on offense, we still were able to make credible selections on that side of the ball in the last few years...problem was, most of our selections weren't used for that side of the ball. I'm convinced that we would have devoted probably all but 1 or 2 picks in 2009 to the defense and even if we didn't hit at a great rate, I think its fair to suggest that we would have hit on 2 picks (out of say 6 or so). Between that and adding a couple solid FA's and getting 2 decent defenders, we would have been on our way....not good or anything, but at least a base of talent would have been established to complement the core 3 NFL caliber defenders that were already there.

The way it turned out, we're basically at the same spot we were before and maybe even worse on that side, now. If we had gotten no better on that side of the ball from then to now, at least we still would have had a very promising young offense.

Again, I don't want to get it into this but since guys like Slowik are being brought up again, just wanted to give the response.

Taco John
04-29-2011, 12:00 AM
Bob Slowick.

Sure I have. The answer was that I didn't think it was fair to judge the guy yet. At the beginning of the season, he so much as admitted that they didn't have the players to run his defense, and that this season would simply be about installing the offense and terminology and making the best of a bad situation. I don't know if the guy would have been a good DC or not, and quite frankly neither do you. He was DC for one season with us, and inherited a bad situation. What I do know is that Champ Bailey called him one of the best coaches he had ever worked with. Champ Bailey, as you well know, doesn't just throw around compliments.

Just saying "Bob Slowick" isn't analysis. It's just playing to people's emotions. Our defense was terrible that season, but to say "Bob Slowick" and pin it on one guy is pretty shallow.

It's pretty incredible to me that a lot of people were willing to give Josh three full seasons, but the same people wanted to nail Bob Slowick to the wall after half a season in a terrible situation.

Taco John
04-29-2011, 12:09 AM
And for what it's worth, I'm not even defending Slowick. I'm indifferent on the guy because, like I said, we didn't have time to make a good read on him. He didn't have the players he needed to run his defense, but they decided to install it anyway knowing that the following year they would be a year ahead and have more draft picks and cap money than the franchise had ever had - and it was happening together in the same offseason.

We threw away some pretty deft maneuvering to make that happen, and in the end, we squandered it. That's what kills me. The beauty of how the cap and draft were managed to put us in that sweet situation, and to watch it get squandered. Thank God we at least got Tebow and Miller out of it all.

I don't know how I got caught looking back. I finally like the direction the franchise is moving in. I have nothing to complain about today. Yeah, I do believe we could have been a contender right now, but the team we have now with Elway, and Tebow, and Miller - I like this team a lot. I think it's going to be a lot of fun to watch this team develop and grow over the next several years.

chrisp
04-29-2011, 02:37 AM
I realize that given the utter state of disrepair that our franchise is in (thanks old man, you POS), our expectations are pretty low (i.e. anything other than massive ****ups are fine), I'm still going to refrain from praising our FO simply for not completely and utterly ****ing up in every way. I'm not thrilled with this pick, but yes, its not a huge ****up.

On the other hand, since our FO is so underwhelming in many ways, maybe they should get some props for doing better than an F-.

I think Bowlen has actually realised his mistakes a little, which is why he was so keen to hand the keys to Elway. I don't think Bowlen is sure that he made the right choice either with the sacking of Shanny or the hiring of josh, so that's why the first thing he did after sacking josh was to install Elway. Whether the Duke is a proper GM or not is by the by - he's a guy who Bowlen trusts to run the show.

So I think that its fair to criticise Bowlen, and its fair to say he perhaps isn't on the ball as much as he used to be, but I still don't think the hate is justified. Bowlen still wants the best for this franchise, and his mistakes hurt him probably just as much as they hurt the rest of us. Furthermore, he seems to be able to take a step back, honestly criticise himself and his own role in the process and do something to address it.

Whatever Bowlen is, he is not Al Davis, stubbornly refusing to criticise himself or change his ways in the face of screw-up after screw up.

Has he made the right decision in hiring Elway? Time will tell. What I do like about it is that the FO is now definitely a TEAM. They seem to be working together rather than the dictator style we had with both shanny and Josh being all-powerful. Furthemore, Elway is a team guy 100% - back in his playing days he didn't just do great things himself, he also led and made the people around him better. If he can do the same thing in his new role then we're set....

Durango
04-29-2011, 02:56 AM
I believe in this new front office team. Shanahan, McDaniels, Slowik are old news. I honestly trust this new group, with some serious reservations toward Xanders because of his participation in the McDaniels disaster.

Elway, Fox will get this team back on the right footing. I really do believe that.

I, too, thought firing Shanahan was a mistake at the time, but the man was an absolute dud acting in the GM role. His drafts were always spotty, and I will never, ever understand drafting Travis McGriff, the poster child of a whimsical, reckless Shanahan-the-GM.

The record speaks everything you need to know about McDaniels. His naive draft manuevers were as morbidly comical as they were costly.

Elway just has the very high regard for the consequences of the draft that you have to love. It's not a game and the players aren't your makers on a roulette board. Many times, it seems Shanahan didn't grasp the long term relevance, and McDaniels didn't even seem to understand the process itself, impulsively throwing around high draft choices, and limiting his board. The scouts must've thought he was completely nuts.

Miller is the first step toward a return to contention. I wanted Dareus, but Miller is a great talent. When it's all said and done through rounds two and three, I'm betting Denver gets what it needs to start the healing process in earnest. Finally, a front office that knows what the hell they're doing and are prepared to carry it out effectively.

McDman
04-29-2011, 03:13 AM

how can you feel that way when our defense was abhorrent? The way Shanny was drafting it wasn't go to get any better either.

jsco70
04-29-2011, 04:51 AM
I'll never forgive him for a bunch of stuff. I hope he's happy with what he's done.

This might be the most overly dramatic quote I've read on this forum.

As for the OP, I'm impressed with the new front office to a point. It isn't like they uncovered a diamond in the rough with Miller. The next two days will prove if they're in over their heads, or ready to lead the Broncos back to the glory days. I have confidence Elway and his colleagues will get the job done.

Drek
04-29-2011, 05:03 AM

The problem with Bowlen isn't that he fired Shanahan, its that he fired Shanahan, spent about a month talking about the division of power he wanted within the organization, and then proceeded to give all the power to Ellis, who then gave it all to McDaniels, castrating and ostracising everyone else.

Firing Shanahan wasn't the wrong move. Hiring McDaniels wasn't the wrong move. Letting a marketing guy like Ellis control the division of power, usher Jim Goodman (I could give a **** about losing Jeff Goodman) out the door, and put a puppet GM who couldn't stand up to a stiff breeze in to work for McDaniels was the first downhill slide.

I bought what they were selling because Pat kept saying all the right things, but behind closed doors it wasn't actually happening.

This dovetails perfectly into the hiring and subsequent departure of Mike Nolan. McDaniels made a great move there, using the connection of a mutual agent to bring in a veteran DC who actually had HC experience. But if an NFL veteran like Jim Goodman had controlled the division of labor within the organization its entirely possible the row that led to Nolan's departure wouldn't have ever happened. McDaniels likely would have learned some of the humility and the ability to delegate work that holds him back from being a standout HC.

Keeping Shanahan or firing Shanahan isn't the problem, not fixing the reason why Shanahan had to go (creating a division of power) is the big **** up.

But no, I don't think he should be referred to in a derogatory sense. He made a major mistake, it happens. Unfortunately it has required a second house cleaning to get right. But now we have a division of power with Elway and Fox, and Fox is well known as a great delegator who gets the most out of his assistant coaches.

gunns
04-29-2011, 05:06 AM

So true. Except for a couple of drafts in the last 11 years, which would have only gotten a C anyway, F- has been the norm. Not this year.

maven
04-29-2011, 05:15 AM
So true. Except for a couple of drafts in the last 11 years, which would have only gotten a C anyway, F- has been the norm. Not this year.

How can it not be? Denver football was completely awful last year. The team drafted #2 overall. That is about as bad as it gets.

broncosteven
04-29-2011, 05:30 AM
The problem with Bowlen isn't that he fired Shanahan, its that he fired Shanahan, spent about a month talking about the division of power he wanted within the organization, and then proceeded to give all the power to Ellis, who then gave it all to McDaniels, castrating and ostracising everyone else.

Firing Shanahan wasn't the wrong move. Hiring McDaniels wasn't the wrong move. Letting a marketing guy like Ellis control the division of power, usher Jim Goodman (I could give a **** about losing Jeff Goodman) out the door, and put a puppet GM who couldn't stand up to a stiff breeze in to work for McDaniels was the first downhill slide.

I bought what they were selling because Pat kept saying all the right things, but behind closed doors it wasn't actually happening.

This dovetails perfectly into the hiring and subsequent departure of Mike Nolan. McDaniels made a great move there, using the connection of a mutual agent to bring in a veteran DC who actually had HC experience. But if an NFL veteran like Jim Goodman had controlled the division of labor within the organization its entirely possible the row that led to Nolan's departure wouldn't have ever happened. McDaniels likely would have learned some of the humility and the ability to delegate work that holds him back from being a standout HC.

Keeping Shanahan or firing Shanahan isn't the problem, not fixing the reason why Shanahan had to go (creating a division of power) is the big **** up.

But no, I don't think he should be referred to in a derogatory sense. He made a major mistake, it happens. Unfortunately it has required a second house cleaning to get right. But now we have a division of power with Elway and Fox, and Fox is well known as a great delegator who gets the most out of his assistant coaches.

Yep, Bowlen hired mCd because he was afraid that KFC or Oakland would get him and mCd would own us for 10+ years. So Bowlen jumped the gun on that then by saying there would be a divison of power before hiring mCd then backing off that and giving the 32 year old 1st time HC anything he wanted he set the precedence for mCd to lie and talk out of his ass.

I still remember how when mCd came in 2 years back and said he was going to build a team that was tough and knew all phases, ALL FREAKING PHASES, of the game but all we got over the 18 month tenure that worked was "Chuck it deep to Lloyd" Out ST's are pathetic, D - worst in the league, meager run game.

It starts at the top, when Bowlen went out and got a young HC Bowlen needed to lead him by example and not base personel on wether they returned cell phone calls or if they could not communicate with a CD that they traded up to get, eventually trading him away for peanuts. THen Hillis gets the Madden cover and presents the pick for the Browns.

Bowlen didnt like that Shanny (hired help) was as popular as he was and in light of some struggles he thought he had to make a move when in reality all he had to do was tell Shanny no to Slowick and make him find someone else.

gunns
04-29-2011, 05:31 AM
How can it not be? Denver football was completely awful last year. The team drafted #2 overall. That is about as bad as it gets.

Uh, I was referring to how this draft has started. Those other drafts were probably a big reason it was as bad as it gets.

gunns
04-29-2011, 05:38 AM
Yep, Bowlen hired mCd because he was afraid that KFC or Oakland would get him and mCd would own us for 10+ years. So Bowlen jumped the gun on that then by saying there would be a divison of power before hiring mCd then backing off that and giving the 32 year old 1st time HC anything he wanted he set the precedence for mCd to lie and talk out of his ass.

I still remember how when mCd came in 2 years back and said he was going to build a team that was tough and knew all phases, ALL FREAKING PHASES, of the game but all we got over the 18 month tenure that worked was "Chuck it deep to Lloyd" Out ST's are pathetic, D - worst in the league, meager run game.

It starts at the top, when Bowlen went out and got a young HC Bowlen needed to lead him by example and not base personel on wether they returned cell phone calls or if they could not communicate with a CD that they traded up to get, eventually trading him away for peanuts. THen Hillis gets the Madden cover and presents the pick for the Browns.

Bowlen didnt like that Shanny (hired help) was as popular as he was and in light of some struggles he thought he had to make a move when in reality all he had to do was tell Shanny no to Slowick and make him find someone else.

Maybe Bowlen did tell Shanahan no to Slowick and the result was what it was. As far as finding another DC, Shanahan hadn't proven too adept at that, anymore than at picking D. I do not believe that anything would have changed with this team as far as D. I agree with the assessments of what Bowlen did wrong, but one of the biggest was giving a rookie HC the same power that Shanahan couldn't handle.

OrangeSe7en
04-29-2011, 06:26 AM
You don't understand how I can hate Bowlen? Really? Open your eyes, man.

This guy has done so much harm to us, its unreal. He's a complete and utter joke in his present form and he has been for some time. I don't want to turn this thread into something about Bowlen as that isnt the OP's intent, but I'll privately PM you a laundry list of detailed reasons re: Bowlen if you want. I have absolutely no regard for him...whatsoever. He doesn't deserve anything. He used to be a great owner, yes, but he's just destroyed everything and repeatedly ****ed up over and over. I'll never forgive him for a bunch of stuff. I hope he's happy with what he's done.

Just for clarification, I too feel similarly toward Bowlen but my comments were addressing Elway/Xanders/Fox. You could say Fox isnt part of the FO but while he's working on the draft, he's kind of serving part of the FO function of acquiring players.

But no, Im in no way referring to Bowlen or Ellis. I agree, those guys are kind of useless in ways that mean anything to the fans.

But again, I kept expecting some crazy movement. I felt they were being more sensible than weve seen in recent past and it was a pleasant change.

jhns
04-29-2011, 06:30 AM
All very fair criticisms of the man but to hold actual hate for him because he's made some poor decisions these last few years?

Seems OTT to me.

It's like those who believe Shanahan needed to go. By all means you can believe a change was for the best, and indeed be happy when he's gone, but once he's gone you should surely salute him as the man who brought us two Superbowls rather than criticise him for the shabby defenses he sent out his last few years?

This.

How can you be a Broncos fan if you hate the Bronco greats? I will never understand this.

vancejohnson82
04-29-2011, 06:37 AM
Wow, the FO gets praised for taking the projected 2nd pick with the 2nd pick? Our bar has been set low

Interested to watch what happens today

Broncoman13
04-29-2011, 06:59 AM
I think Fox will turn the defense around in a hurry. How sweet will it be to see QBs getting pressure and throwing balls away on 3rd downs. Doom on one side Von on the other... Or have them both on the same side and force the offense to try and block one of them with a RB!

I think the next key component is a safety that can cover. Would love to get Aaron Williams tonight. Dude can play inside and cover a slot receiver and looks like a natural conversion to free safety. If they take him, I think we will see a lot of 50 fronts with Miller on the line. We could have a very unique defense. Still would love to have Marvin Austin.

bronco militia
04-29-2011, 07:06 AM
the front office cut a bunch of guys and has one draft pick....yawn

gunns
04-29-2011, 07:06 AM
Wow, the FO gets praised for taking the projected 2nd pick with the 2nd pick? Our bar has been set low

I really don't think it's a matter of what was projected, who cares about the projections which are often wrong. I think what it is is that the FO, which contains the biggest offensive power for the Broncos, took the BPA for a side of the team that has been severly neglected for at least 11 years by two offensive minded coaches/GM's. It shows the FO may finally be back on track.

gunns
04-29-2011, 07:08 AM
I think Fox will turn the defense around in a hurry. How sweet will it be to see QBs getting pressure and throwing balls away on 3rd downs. Doom on one side Von on the other... Or have them both on the same side and force the offense to try and block one of them with a RB!

I think the next key component is a safety that can cover. Would love to get Aaron Williams tonight. Dude can play inside and cover a slot receiver and looks like a natural conversion to free safety. If they take him, I think we will see a lot of 50 fronts with Miller on the line. We could have a very unique defense. Still would love to have Marvin Austin.

Love it!

Gcver2ver3
04-29-2011, 07:10 AM
This front office passed the first day with flying colors IMHO. They took a player I really like, and more importantly, didn't get roped into a bad deal. It's been reported that Baltimore worked on them (up to the point they didn't get their pick in), and watching the war room it was clear that they were fielding a lot of calls.

After years of wheeling and dealing in the draft, it was nice to see us hold our ground for once. Tomorrow is setup to be a big day in round two and with free agency apparently ready to get underway, we'll know what we have in this front office really soon now.

yep pretty much this...

i was glad they didn't get impatient....

heck, even i was getting a little ansy when DTs were flying off the board, but the team was not gonna let a team rake them over the coals for a player...

McDman
04-29-2011, 07:10 AM
It'd be nice to trade up and get Austin and Williams.

vancejohnson82
04-29-2011, 07:49 AM
I really don't think it's a matter of what was projected, who cares about the projections which are often wrong. I think what it is is that the FO, which contains the biggest offensive power for the Broncos, took the BPA for a side of the team that has been severly neglected for at least 11 years by two offensive minded coaches/GM's. It shows the FO may finally be back on track.

my point is that BPA at #2 is much easier to nail then at #10-20

I like the pick, but lets not have entire threads dedicated to how we are finally on track with one pick

although I do like reading positivity on here

Smiling Assassin27
04-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Yeah...its a little early to be praising the FO.

It's really hard to screw up the 2nd pick, and our guys didn't. I usually refrain from praising people for doing what they're supposed to. Let's see where we go today and tomorrow where drafts are made or muffed.

ICON
04-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Let's see what they do tomorrow.This

1)A Marvin Austin, 2)B Drake Nevis, 2)BStephen Paea, 2)B Allen Bailey.

After their 1st pick OLB , I would like 2 D-line men drafted NOW!

broncosteven
04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Maybe Bowlen did tell Shanahan no to Slowick and the result was what it was. As far as finding another DC, Shanahan hadn't proven too adept at that, anymore than at picking D. I do not believe that anything would have changed with this team as far as D. I agree with the assessments of what Bowlen did wrong, but one of the biggest was giving a rookie HC the same power that Shanahan couldn't handle.

I still thought we were one good Defensive draft away from getting over the hump in 2008 but we will never know now.

I agree with you 100% on the bolded section. I took a lot of heat for being a pessimist when mCd came on but my reasons were all validated and I am glad Fox is our new HC.

Hope round 2 complements our 1st round success.

uplink
04-29-2011, 08:45 AM
But beyond that, we havent been involved in any crazy trades. Whe havent been racetracking all up and down the board just to take a non-need that was a high injury risk. We havent jumped the gun and traded any picks next year to take an undersized CB in the 2nd.

From the cam it looked like they were calling around for a trade a couple of times (looking over the compensation sheets etc.) I think they were going after Ingram and Prince when they fell in the draft. Once those guys got picked the activity stopped. Also, they seemed happy Clayborn was off the board before KC picked.

24champ
04-29-2011, 11:52 AM

Yeah...like Winston Wolf says...

http://media.screened.com/uploads/0/902/110749-thewolf_large.jpg

Let's not start sucking each others d*cks quite yet.

TheReverend
04-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Well...

We're only ONE pick in, but I'm very pleased with the selection.

bendog
04-29-2011, 12:13 PM
I don't understand criticism of "they should have traded down." With Fig gone, the next 5 or maybe 6 picks were all about equal in talent, and qbs went in 8 and 10 with Dullass taking an OT at 9, which is the one position Den has a probowl caliber player at. (Assuming you think Champ's fallen off that much) They took the guy who plays in the front 7 who they think has the highest upside. Time will tell, but the only wrong decision would have been to take anyone other than Miller or Darius.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Our bar has been set low

We've had one winning season in the last 5 years. We've drafted horrendously for over a decade. Yeah, the bar is set low.

NFLBRONCO
04-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I think the FO has done well so far. I do think that at some point in the near future we need to make a very bold franchise changing move. I don't think safe picking only is the way to become a contender.

Dedhed
04-29-2011, 01:09 PM
my point is that BPA at #2 is much easier to nail then at #10-20

I like the pick, but lets not have entire threads dedicated to how we are finally on track with one pick

although I do like reading positivity on here

I disagree completely that the #2 pick is easier to nail. We could have taken Gabbert, Bowers, Aj Green, etc.

Also there is far more than one pick to judge the new FO on. They hired Fox which was the right move for the franchise in desperate need for an injection of defensive intuition. They hired Allen which was the right move for the franchise.

They dissolved the power structure that has been the Achilles heel of this franchise for a dozen years.

They've made all the right moves to put this franchise back on a path to success. They've made far more positive moves than simply getting the #2 overall selection right.

cmhargrove
04-29-2011, 01:24 PM
I love the Miller pick, but in all honesty we waited until the clock was up to submit our pick. That makes me think we were very open and interested in trading out of that pick.

I like how this is going, but rounds 2 and 3 are supposed to yield "starters" by their own words. Miller is an easy pick to start on any team, so I am anxious to see how they work the board today. In my mind, rounds 2-3 will tell me if thus draft was "good" or "great" for the FO.

HAT
04-29-2011, 02:30 PM

No ****, huh?

Is the OP really trying to compliment the FO for taking one of the two BPA's with the #2 pick? Unreal.

BowlenBall
04-29-2011, 02:37 PM
No ****, huh?

Is the OP really trying to compliment the FO for taking one of the two BPA's with the #2 pick? Unreal.

Yes... but only because Shanahan or McDaniels would have found a way to screw that pick up....