PDA

View Full Version : Agents, GMs preparing as if league year could start Monday

OBF1
04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Does this mean no trading until Monday? If so we are stuck with Orton or atleast no extra draft pick(s) this year

From NFL.com

Many agents and general managers are bracing for the 2011 league year to begin as soon as Monday if the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals doesn't grant the NFL's request for a stay of a judge's ruling that granted the players an injunction to lift the lockout.

The league issued a statement on post-injunction operations Thursday, saying it will distribute a notice to teams -- likely Friday -- about the timing for the commencement of the league year, free-agent signings and other customary player transactions (such as signings, trades of player contracts, terminations, tryouts, etc.).

Several top agents are advising their clients to prepare to truly hit the free-agent market Monday, which is when they expect the league year to open. If that happened, there likely would be undrafted rookie free agents hitting the market at the same time as veteran free agents. Many expect the league to implement rules from the 2010 season, though nothing is concrete at this time.

The NFL's stance has been that the beginning of the league year wouldn't occur until it had a chance to seek a stay, and it now will try to get one with the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which also will hear the appeal of the injunction.

peacepipe
04-28-2011, 01:50 PM
i suspect they'll lose the appeal.

FireFly
04-28-2011, 03:34 PM
After reading a few articles, it looks like the owners are well and truly on the back foot. I have legitimate concerns that we'll never have the league balance we had previously ever again. The players look poised to destroy the structure of the league. I bet most of them don't even understand the ramifications of these proceedings beyond that they were told by their lawyers that they'll earn more money.

It's going to be a sad state of affairs if we end up operating under a free market paradigm like the English Premier league.

peacepipe
04-28-2011, 03:47 PM
After reading a few articles, it looks like the owners are well and truly on the back foot. I have legitimate concerns that we'll never have the league balance we had previously ever again. The players look poised to destroy the structure of the league. I bet most of them don't even understand the ramifications of these proceedings beyond that they were told by their lawyers that they'll earn more money.

It's going to be a sad state of affairs if we end up operating under a free market paradigm like the English Premier league.they'll work out a good deal it won't be what the owners wanted but neither will it be what the players wanted. all that has happened is that there is equal leverage on both sides now.