PDA

View Full Version : Schefter- Broncos to select Von Miller at #2

Pages : [1] 2

SoDak Bronco
04-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Heard on ESPN radio,Adam Schefter is predicting the Broncos will select Mr. Von Miller at #2. Haven't seen anything linked to his report on the radio. I'd be okay with this pick, it's growing on me.

We shall see. Usually Schefty is pretty spot on.

bronco militia
04-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Adam said this to Dave Logan yesterday...80% sure of it.

Logan thinks it's Dareus....winner gets a steak dinner

schaaf
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Im thinking we pick Miller and follow up with Allen Bailey in the second.

SoDak Bronco
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
http://photoblog.statesman.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/ut-0004.jpg

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
That would be awesome. I really think Dareus and Fairley are out. A small clue was a couple of weeks ago when Elway made an off-hand remark about the short shelf-life of DTs. I think they will look to invest in a guy at #2 who is more likely to play at a high level for a decade plus.

Carmelo15
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Never doubt the Shef. I would be happy with this

Rabb
04-27-2011, 02:06 PM
I am a PP guy, and I would be just about as thrilled with this

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 02:08 PM

I hope not on Allen Bailey. Guy has top 10 talent but never had the production to match. Those types rarely pan out. I'd rather take a less phyically gifted but all effort guy like Nevis.

mkporter
04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Miller has definitely grown on me as a possible pick. We need a LB in a bad way, and there isn't much depth there in this draft. Pretty slim pickings in the 2nd for LBs, but there should be some pretty good DTs still there.

Carmelo15
04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
My draft reaction:
Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
Fairley - Concerned & Disappointed
A.J. Green - Optimistic
Gabbert - Don't talk to me or I'll slap you
Cam - Pissed off don't talk to me or I'll punch you in the face

schaaf
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
My draft reaction:
Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
A.J. Green - Optimistic
Cam - Pissed off don't talk to me or I'll rape you

haha:~ohyah!:

TheReverend
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
My draft reaction:
Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
A.J. Green - Optimistic

:rofl:

Mine is probably like:

Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
Fairley - Happy
A.J. Green - Happy
Cam - I'm going to get arrested, make an epic meltdown post and register at extremeskins.com

ColoradoBuff
04-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Elway also hinted a few weeks ago that they didn't know what to do with Miller until 3rd down. I think it's Peterson!

Broncos VP of Player Personnel John Elway acknowledged Wednesday that the "tricky part" about assessing Von Miller's fit into Denver's defense is how he'd impact the game on first and second down.

The Broncos are implementing a 4-3 defense, and Miller would be one of the tiniest 4-3 ends in football at 6'3/246, give or take five pounds. He'd likely struggle in run defense as an early-down end. Miller's scheme fit in Denver isn't ideal, one of the main reasons he's probably not going to end up there. All signs continue to point to Marcell Dareus at No. 2.
Related: Broncos (http://rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/den/broncos)

Source: Lindsay Jones on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/PostBroncos/statuses/60774812615847936)
Apr 20, 2:46 PM

lostknight
04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
I've gone back and forth on Miller. We are pulling so much talent from the LB corp to the front line that it's critical to put new talent in there. The problem is that where we suck defensibly isn't at passing yards, it's at rushing yards.

I love Peterson. I shiver in fear from his wonderlic.

I like Marcell.

But Miller's a great choice, if we can make him worth. And it's worth remembering that our new defensive coordinator is a believer in zone blitzes and the occasional 3-3-5.

Anything is better then drafting a QB.

Popcorn Sutton
04-27-2011, 02:19 PM

Mine is probably like:

Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
Fairley - Happy
A.J. Green - Happy
Cam - I'm going to get arrested, make an epic meltdown post and register at extremeskins.com

That about describes my reaction... My draft party is going to end early if we pick Cam.

i4jelway7
04-27-2011, 02:23 PM
I just threw up in my mouth and swallowed it...

Please no Von Miller... PASS (vernon gholston ring a bell)

BIG MISTAKE this guy is not worth a #2

Inkana7
04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I would be happy with this.

Gcver2ver3
04-27-2011, 02:30 PM
if Doom returns healthy, and we draft Miller our pass rush would be sick...

i havent followed as closely as i used to...is it impossible for us to run a 3-4 scheme this year?...

i know 4-3 is supposedly in the cards but is it THAT cemented in stone?

2KBack
04-27-2011, 02:32 PM

i havent followed as closely as i used to...is it impossible for us to run a 3-4 scheme this year?...

I'm pretty convinced that Denver is going to be running a lot of different fronts

srphoenix
04-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm beginning to see this more and more as the correct pick. While Miller may be a tad undersized, he has more than enough speed and power to make up for it. Additionally he seems the most responsible and most cerebral player of the top 4. Dareus seems like the best overall fit but doesn't seem all that overly special at first glance... I hope if we draft him, he proves me wrong.

Peterson would be my next favorite pick as he would actually see throws his direction with Champ on the field, plus both Peterson and Miller play better to this drafts strengths by allowing us to take a great DT (hopefully Paea or Austin) at 2a.

I still am hoping for the optimal scenario of us trading down with Arizona and taking whoever of our top 4 is still available meanwhile picking up additional picks.

Gcver2ver3
I'm pretty convinced that Denver is going to be running a lot of different fronts

then Miller is fine by me then...

Houshyamama
If he makes the same kind of impact as Matthews did in Green Bay, I'm ALL for this.

Houshyamama
04-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Miller and Dumervil rushing the passer? Awesome.

Gcver2ver3
04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Miller and Dumervil rushing the passer? Awesome.

wood...

LonghornBronco
I want darius, but if we can land Austin in the second I'll be ecstatic.

SoDak Bronco
He reminds me of a Derrick Thomas type rusher when I watched him play at A&M. He should be an instant impact player, probably more so then any other Defensive player in the draft.

i4jelway7
04-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Coach Fox was just on the radio and basically said they would be going Dline 1st... smoke screen?

SoDak Bronco
04-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Coach Fox was just on the radio and basically said they would be going Dline 1st... smoke screen?

Well if you believe anything they say 24 hrs before the draft you are nuts.

i4jelway7
04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Well if you believe anything they say 24 hrs before the draft you are nuts.

I don't but.... Coach Fox is not like most coaches.. he doesn't say sh*t just to put it out there for smoke screen purposes, the broncos are trying to be the most transparent franchise in the league.. good or bad

NFLBRONCO
04-27-2011, 02:46 PM
so it is Miller or a trade down

JDB7821
04-27-2011, 02:48 PM

I don't know about a 3-4, but I would think they might tinker with the 3-3-5. The Saints and even we ran a lot of that formation last season, I'm sure your new defensive coordinator and Fox got a lot of ideas from it.

SoDak Bronco
04-27-2011, 02:55 PM
did fox coach the giants when Lawrence Taylor played for them?

Broncoman13
04-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Look at some of the top sack artists that have come into the NFL... If you're a stud pass rusher in college chances are you'll be decent in the NFL.

This list is a little outdated, but you can see a pretty decent outcome.

Terrell Suggs, Arizona State (2000-02): 44 career sacks
Jason Babin, Western Michigan (2000-03): 38
David Pollack, Georgia (2001-04): 36
Shaun Phillips, Purdue (2000-03): 33.5
Elvis Dumervil, Louisville (2002-05): 32.0
Dwight Freeney, Syracuse (2000-01): 30.5
Dave Ball, UCLA (2000-03): 30.5

Miller btw has 33 career sacks.

I watch a bit of A&M football and was always impressed with how he played in the opponents backfield. He was a terror. But I still don't know how well he'll be in coverage against a RB or TE. I'll tell you this much, the way he was able to stab and explode during LB position drills at the combine was a thing of beauty. He may be raw but he absolutely has the athleticism to cover in the pros... now lets see about the instincts!

LetsGoBroncos
04-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Dumb. How many years in a row are we going to lose games in the trenches before we address the issue!!?? It doesn't matter how good your secondary is if you don't have a pass rush. It also doesn't matter how good your linebackers are if you don't have a defensive line to take on blockers. Get it through your head!!! A good line makes average linebackers look good. A good pass rush makes an average secondary look good.

Dareus should be the pick and I will be pissed if it is anyone else

Broncoman13
04-27-2011, 03:00 PM
He reminds me of a Derrick Thomas type rusher when I watched him play at A&M. He should be an instant impact player, probably more so then any other Defensive player in the draft.

This.

And like I've been trying to say when Rev suggests Patrick Peterson... I like Patrick Peterson. I think he's going to be a very good, if not great player. But you can take Peterson in the first and then settle for a pretty average LB in the 2nd. Or you can take Miller in the first and still get a pretty good CB in the 2nd, a guy like Dowling, Harris or Williams would be able to come in and start from day one.

With a guy like Kris Jenkins available in free agency, I wouldn't be the least bit upset with a draft that consisted of Von Miller, Aaron Williams (to play safety) and Ras I Dowling at Corner. Williams played a ton of nickel back at UT and was tremendous, plus most of the draft niks are projecting him to be the draft's best safety. A safety that can also be your nickel back, that's the kind of versatility we need right now!

Requiem
04-27-2011, 03:08 PM
I've been warming up to Williams at 2A. Excellent fit.

BroncoLifer
04-27-2011, 03:10 PM

You do know that the source who made Schefter good on the Broncos is now coaching in the NFC East, right?

MABroncoFan
04-27-2011, 03:12 PM
rotoworld

NFL Network's Kara Henderson, who is on site at Broncos headquarters, reports that Texas A&M LB Von Miller may have surpassed Marcell Dareus as the favorite for the No. 2 overall pick.

"What we're hearing right now," said Henderson, "(is) the room may be shifting" toward Miller. According to Henderson, the Broncos believe Miller "can be a four-down player," contributing on all three defensive downs as well as on special teams. Frankly, we're not buying it. As good as Miller projects to be, he's not a particularly good scheme fit for Denver's new 4-3 defense. They also have much bigger needs inside. Related: BroncosApr 27, 6:09 PM

SonOfLe-loLang
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Dumb. How many years in a row are we going to lose games in the trenches before we address the issue!!?? It doesn't matter how good your secondary is if you don't have a pass rush. It also doesn't matter how good your linebackers are if you don't have a defensive line to take on blockers. Get it through your head!!! A good line makes average linebackers look good. A good pass rush makes an average secondary look good.

Von Miller is the best pass rusher in this draft

BroncoMan4ever
04-27-2011, 03:13 PM

Bailey is the same type of player as Ayers. if Miller truly is the pick then more than likely the pick will be interior DL. so i would bet on a guy like Paea

SonOfLe-loLang
04-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Bailey is the same type of player as Ayers. if Miller truly is the pick then more than likely the pick will be interior DL. so i would bet on a guy like Paea

A miller/paea combo would be boner.

JDB7821
04-27-2011, 03:16 PM

You do realize Von Miller will probably be playing in the trenches on 3rd and long or obvious passing situations, right? And that he IS the best pass rusher in the draft?

theStifmeister
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
lets dance

Beantown Bronco
04-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't but.... Coach Fox is not like most coaches.. he doesn't say sh*t just to put it out there for smoke screen purposes

Not to be a dink, but what could you possibly be basing this off of? Are you really claiming to have paid attention to every draft he's ever run for Carolina and have pre-draft quotes from him that match their actual selections?

Gcver2ver3
04-27-2011, 03:21 PM
if drafting miller will put an end to the horribly ineffective blitzes i saw us attempt last year...

do it...

gyldenlove
04-27-2011, 03:28 PM

Mine is probably like:

Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
Fairley - Happy
A.J. Green - Happy

Dareus - Bliss
Miller - Ecstatic
Peterson - Ecstatic
Fairley - Quietly optimistic
AJ Green - Violently angry
Gabbert - Borderline homicidal
Newton - Genocidal (the only way the people of Atlanta will be saved is if my head explodes from the anger stroke I will definitely suffer a split second after reading this)

Hercules Rockefeller
04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
rotoworld

NFL Network's Kara Henderson, who is on site at Broncos headquarters, reports that Texas A&M LB Von Miller may have surpassed Marcell Dareus as the favorite for the No. 2 overall pick.

"What we're hearing right now," said Henderson, "(is) the room may be shifting" toward Miller. According to Henderson, the Broncos believe Miller "can be a four-down player," contributing on all three defensive downs as well as on special teams. Frankly, we're not buying it. As good as Miller projects to be, he's not a particularly good scheme fit for Denver's new 4-3 defense. They also have much bigger needs inside. Related: BroncosApr 27, 6:09 PM

Thank you for your useless analysis Rotoworld. You take other people's reports and put your own spin on it.

Carmelo15
04-27-2011, 03:30 PM
My computer won't let me post a new thread about this. I have no idea why but here it is: (Mods if you can fix the problem for me I would appreciate it. I believe this should have its own thread)

First of all, I work at a nightclub in downtown Denver. It's the most upscale club in Denver and Broncos and Nuggets players go there pretty frequently. There were about 5-7 Broncos players there last night. At the end of the night after most regular patrons had already left I got to talk Champ & D.J. They said they felt like going out to celebrate the lockout getting lifted. They were in Dove Valley yesterday evening and got to talk to their position coaches and Fox. Anyways I had to try and get some inside info on the draft of course.

According to Champ he got the impression we're taking Dareus in the first round. He & D.J. were both pretty happy about it too. They said they're coaches told them we're going to pick very heavily on defense especially with the first four picks.

D.J. kept talking about Martez Wilson. He was really excited about this guy and hopes we get him. He said John Fox even compared him to Jon Beason. Called him the best 4-3 LB in the draft. D.J. really wants this guy. He even said "don't be surprised if we move up to the end of round 1 to make sure we get him."

Take it for what it's worth but these guys talked to their coaches last night. The cool part was seeing NFL players of their caliber talk about the draft. They sounded as excited about it as a fan like myself would be. They're both cool guys, especially D.J.

They may not be making the decision makers but they got to talk to some guys who have input into the decision. If the draft goes as they described, expect something like this:

2. Marcell Dareus DT Alabama
TRADE: #36 & #67 to Patriots for #28 and #92
28. Martez Wilson MLB Illinois
46. D.J. mentioned possible trade down here
92. Best defensive player available

Personally I would be lukewarm on this draft. We get some good players but I don't feel like we need to move up for Martez Wilson and I was convinced from Elway that we would be picking BPA and fill in our needs more through free agency. This is more of a needs draft than I thought. What would you guys think about this draft?

SoDak Bronco
04-27-2011, 03:32 PM
can you imagine if you were a Panthers fan and your team is most likely going to take Cam Newton who is a 1 yr starter, throwing only 200 passes in college FBS...he could be really good, or he could be a major bust. If only Luck came out for them, haha to bad.

From everything you hear about Von Miller, he is a sure fire starter for the next 10 years and is considered the safest pick.

Requiem
04-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Carmelo, thank you for the information!

oubronco
04-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Hey i like Dareus just as much as anyone but there are other DT's in this draft and like it or not the chances they pass on him is pretty good

SoDak Bronco
04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
My computer won't let me post a new thread about this. I have no idea why but here it is: (Mods if you can fix the problem for me I would appreciate it. I believe this should have its own thread)

First of all, I work at a nightclub in downtown Denver. It's the most upscale club in Denver and Broncos and Nuggets players go there pretty frequently. There were about 5-7 Broncos players there last night. At the end of the night after most regular patrons had already left I got to talk Champ & D.J. They said they felt like going out to celebrate the lockout getting lifted. They were in Dove Valley yesterday evening and got to talk to their position coaches and Fox. Anyways I had to try and get some inside info on the draft of course.

According to Champ he got the impression we're taking Dareus in the first round. He & D.J. were both pretty happy about it too. They said they're coaches told them we're going to pick very heavily on defense especially with the first four picks.

D.J. kept talking about Martez Wilson. He was really excited about this guy and hopes we get him. He said John Fox even compared him to Jon Beason. Called him the best 4-3 LB in the draft. D.J. really wants this guy. He even said "don't be surprised if we move up to the end of round 1 to make sure we get him."

Take it for what it's worth but these guys talked to their coaches last night. The cool part was seeing NFL players of their caliber talk about the draft. They sounded as excited about it as a fan like myself would be. They're both cool guys, especially D.J.

They may not be making the decision makers but they got to talk to some guys who have input into the decision. If the draft goes as they described, expect something like this:

Personally I would be lukewarm on this draft. We get some good players but I don't feel like we need to move up for Martez Wilson and I was convinced from Elway that we would be picking BPA and fill in our needs more through free agency. This is more of a needs draft than I thought. What would you guys think about this draft?

I would be pissed if we traded up, I think we need to let the draft fall to us and take BPA/Need, should be plenty of good options at 36/46.

Requiem
04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Trading up for Wilson makes sense. I've read from numerous outlets that he's rising much like Nick Barnett did back when he was drafted and is garnering serious first-round consideration. BOOMDIGGITY DAMN **** THE DRAFT IS TOMORROW.

Carmelo15
04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I would be pissed if we traded up, I think we need to let the draft fall to us and take BPA/Need, should be plenty of good options at 36/46.

I pretty much agree with this completely. If we were to trade up it'd have to be for someone much more impressive than Martez Wilson i.e. a Fairley freefall

Broncoman13
04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I hope that either you or they are full of SHIAT!!!

Dareus and Wilson vs Miller and Taylor/Paea/Austin.

If they are going to trade up a few spots, go get Marvin Austin and pair him up with Von Miller! I so hope the Panthers take Dareus first. He is just not that special. Low bust rate, but I expect a lot more out of the #2 pick then just low bust potential... I expect future all-pro.

Vegas_Bronco
04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Just wait boys...just wait....scheftner is right on the money but there are 2 other blue chippers and we for sure will get one of the top 3. Basically we are assured at least one starter/contributor...peterson, miller, or dareus all all balls deep picks.

Requiem
04-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Yeah, trade up for a guy who didn't play football last year.

REAL SMART.

phibacka31
04-27-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks a ton Carmelo for the info.
I'm along with others that hope to god they don't trade up for Martez...
I also want PP or Von at #2...
ugh... cool infor, but not what I would want to hear...

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 03:40 PM

I hope you called DJ a cab.

extralife
04-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Where the hell is Miller even going to play? Not exactly the kind of question you want to ask about the second pick in the draft.

schaaf
04-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Did DJ drive home?

Carmelo15
04-27-2011, 03:42 PM
I hope that either you or they are full of SHIAT!!!

Dareus and Wilson vs Miller and Taylor/Paea/Austin.

If they are going to trade up a few spots, go get Marvin Austin and pair him up with Von Miller! I so hope the Panthers take Dareus first. He is just not that special. Low bust rate, but I expect a lot more out of the #2 pick then just low bust potential... I expect future all-pro.

I really have no reason to lie to you and the rest of this board. Unfortunately I agree with you. I will say this...I got the impression from them...particularly Champ, that they were more making conclusions of their own based on what they were told. I don't think Champ was literally told we're taking Dareus. But D.J. told me Fox compared Martez Wilson to Jon Beason, also from the U. D.J. was pretty giddy about getting Wilson. I actually liked that, it made me feel like D.J. really wanted to help out a future teammate and fellow linebacker.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Where the hell is Miller even going to play? Not exactly the kind of question you want to ask about the second pick in the draft.

Fox said a few weeks ago he would play SAM. I am sure they would be more creative with him than with the typical SAM, especially on passing downs.

extralife
04-27-2011, 03:43 PM
So we plan on drafting someone to play SAM with the second overall pick of the draft--and people are happy about this?

FireFly
04-27-2011, 03:44 PM
My draft reaction:
Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
A.J. Green - Optimistic

:thumbsup:

This pretty much sums up how I feel as well! Though the gap between Peterson and Von is very small at this point.

I think the pick will be Miller.

Carmelo15
04-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Haha Inferno and schaaf, funny you say that. I actually heard him and Champ teasing each other. Champ, "N!gga how many DUI's you got now gimme yo keys!" (joking with DJ)

oubronco
04-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Awesome info :thumbsup:

I don't think they need to move up to get Wilson, I would rather they stay put and take BPA and I wouldn't be surprised if they took Aaron Williams with 2b

Requiem
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
D.J. and Martez at LB. Not what you really want.

Martez lacks instincts and is an underachiever. You don't trade up for that.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
I really have no reason to lie to you and the rest of this board. Unfortunately I agree with you. I will say this...I got the impression from them...particularly Champ, that they were more making conclusions of their own based on what they were told. I don't think Champ was literally told we're taking Dareus. But D.J. told me Fox compared Martez Wilson to Jon Beason, also from the U. D.J. was pretty giddy about getting Wilson. I actually liked that, it made me feel like D.J. really wanted to help out a future teammate and fellow linebacker.

Miller or Dareus, I'm cool either way, though I'm not sure that I see Dareus as a futer ELITE DT...very good, but not necessarily a perennial All-Pro. Miller and Peterson are the two guys I think will be special. But, again, I'm cool if Dareus is the pick. I wouldn't mind if they are right about Wilson, though not in a trade up. Maybe he will still be there at 2a, though if we go Miller at #2, I'd really prefer DT at 2a. That said, if they like Wilson better than the available DTs, I'm pretty damn cool with a DJ-Wilson-Miller LB corp.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
So we plan on drafting someone to play SAM with the second overall pick of the draft--and people are happy about this?

Dude, think outside of the box. You really think they would take him at #2 and then play him like a traditional SAM? There is zero question they would have some creative ideas in mind if they are going to take him that high.

FireFly
04-27-2011, 03:49 PM
I've been hoping we grabbed Martez Wilson for weeks now and have said so previously. I'd be very happy grabbing him in the 2nd with either pick - but not really moving up for him. It was only a few weeks ago that there seemed like a strong chance he would be there for our 2b pick

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 03:51 PM
D.J. and Martez at LB. Not what you really want.

Martez lacks instincts and is an underachiever. You don't trade up for that.

Yeah, that's the concern. He's kind of similar to DJ, really. Elite skill set, but only average instincts. Still, I don't think there is much chance of him being a "bust." Worst case scenario, he's an above average starter (like DJ).

oubronco
04-27-2011, 03:52 PM
Miller or Dareus, I'm cool either way, though I'm not sure that I see Dareus as a futer ELITE DT...very good, but not necessarily a perennial All-Pro. Miller and Peterson are the two guys I think will be special. But, again, I'm cool if Dareus is the pick. I wouldn't mind if they are right about Wilson, though not in a trade up. Maybe he will still be there at 2a, though if we go Miller at #2, I'd really prefer DT at 2a. That said, if they like Wilson better than the available DTs, I'm pretty damn cool with a DJ-Wilson-Miller LB corp.

This would help our run defense out tremendously

Carmelo15
04-27-2011, 03:54 PM
D.J. Martez and Von may be the most athletic LB corps in the league

gunns
04-27-2011, 03:55 PM
My draft reaction:
Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
A.J. Green - Optimistic

Mine would be

Peterson - YES!
Von - YES!
Dareus - A hopeful YES!
Fairley - Ok
A.J. Green - Homicidal
Gabbert- Suicidal
Cam- Commit Homicide or Suicide.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Haha Inferno and schaaf, funny you say that. I actually heard him and Champ teasing each other. Champ, "N!gga how many DUI's you got now gimme yo keys!" (joking with DJ)

Honestly, it bothers me that he still goes out drinking at all. Any poor sap can get saddled with one DUI, but if you get two you are probably driving drunk A LOT. The odds of getting a DUI is something like 1 in 3500, so the odds that he just got caught the two times he screwed up is highly unlikely. Some people just make bad decisions on the sauce even if they start the night determined not to.

i4jelway7
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Not to be a dink, but what could you possibly be basing this off of? Are you really claiming to have paid attention to every draft he's ever run for Carolina and have pre-draft quotes from him that match their actual selections?

no I'm basing that off my ability to read ppl and the way he conducts business

Beantown Bronco
04-27-2011, 04:07 PM
They were in Dove Valley yesterday evening and got to talk to their position coaches and Fox. Anyways I had to try and get some inside info on the draft of course.

Take it for what it's worth but these guys talked to their coaches last night.

They can get in a lot of trouble with the league if this gets out. The coaches are still supposed to be operating as if the lockout was happening. No contact with players is allowed.

phibacka31
04-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Wish Wabbit still posted... ) ;

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 04:08 PM
no I'm basing that off my ability to read ppl and the way he conducts business

i4jelway7's true identity:

http://www.textually.org/tv/archives/images/set3/Dr_Phil_teen_youtube_beating.jpg

Bigdawg26
04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
I would love to get Dareus and Wilson but I'm not to sold on the idea of trading up to get him. I think he would be there in the second. That way we can keep our picks and pick up a safety or OLB with the 2b pick and a TE in the third like Stocker.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 04:09 PM
They can get in a lot of trouble with the league if this gets out. The coaches are still supposed to be operating as if the lockout was happening. No contact with players is allowed.

Yeah, but with the lockout lifted that just amounts to a gentlemen's agreement. What punitive action could they really take?

Bigdawg26
04-27-2011, 04:11 PM
I hope you called DJ a cab.

LOL Hilarious

Beantown Bronco
04-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah, but with the lockout lifted that just amounts to a gentlemen's agreement. What punitive action could they really take?

If I've learned nothing in the last few years, I've learned this: Goodell can do whatever he wants to whomever he wants. Do you really want to anger a guy like that when Denver players already have enough trouble staying out of the police blotter? Maybe the next thing that might otherwise merit a small fine could all of a sudden become a multi-game suspension.

Don't rock the boat when you don't have to.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
If I've learned nothing in the last few years, I've learned this: Goodell can do whatever he wants to whomever he wants. Do you really want to anger a guy like that when Denver players already have enough trouble staying out of the police blotter? Maybe the next thing that might otherwise merit a small fine could all of a sudden become a multi-game suspension.

Don't rock the boat when you don't have to.

Good point. I guess I was thinking in terms of punishing the specific act. It would pretty much be an admission of collusion. All that said, I'd be stunned if most of the coaches weren't in some level of contact with their players, lockout be damned.

OBF1
04-27-2011, 04:17 PM
I hope the first thing I hear tomorrow night is this: "With the first overall pick in the 2011 NFL draft, The Carolina Panthers select Marcel Dareus" I have been cooling on him the past few weeks. I would like us to pick Patrick Peterson at #2, or if we are able to stay in the top 5, make the trade and end up with one of the usual suspects on defense while picking up atleast a 2nd round pick +

If we go QB, if will be a dead heat with the Rev to see who signs in first at extremeskins.com

i4jelway7
04-27-2011, 04:18 PM
i4jelway7's true identity:

http://www.textually.org/tv/archives/images/set3/Dr_Phil_teen_youtube_beating.jpg

LOL and here all this time I thought

http://i54.tinypic.com/124anfd.jpg

oubronco
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
That's an awesome picture

OrangeSe7en
04-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Heard on ESPN radio,Adam Schefter is predicting the Broncos will select Mr. Von Miller at #2. Haven't seen anything linked to his report on the radio. I'd be okay with this pick, it's growing on me.

What position is he going to play?

extralife
04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Dude, think outside of the box. You really think they would take him at #2 and then play him like a traditional SAM? There is zero question they would have some creative ideas in mind if they are going to take him that high.

I don't want "creativity" out of my #2 overall pick. I want "here you go: play here: dominate that guy in front of you." I don't want to reconfigure a defense so we can jam a round peg into a square hole. The last time we drafted a guy without a position (Ayers) we heard the same stuff. Two years later, what do we have? A guy without a position.

epicSocialism4tw
04-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Bring in Miller.

Paea in round 2.

epicSocialism4tw
04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I don't want "creativity" out of my #2 overall pick. I want "here you go: play here: dominate that guy in front of you." I don't want to reconfigure a defense so we can jam a round peg into a square hole.

Thats not the case with Miller. He'll be an instant impact player.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't want "creativity" out of my #2 overall pick. I want "here you go: play here: dominate that guy in front of you." I don't want to reconfigure a defense so we can jam a round peg into a square hole.

He fits in any defense. That's fine, if we pick him you will be a fan soon enough.

Carmelo15
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Thats not the case with Miller. He'll be an instant impact player.

Von Miller may have the biggest instant impact of any player in this draft. I've read in several places he'd be a prime ROY candidate regardless of where he goes.

Shananahan
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
The odds of getting a DUI is something like 1 in 3500
Out of curiosity, where the hell is that figure coming from?

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Out of curiosity, where the hell is that figure coming from?

That isn't exact. Hold on, I'll google it. I saw it awhile back.

EDIT: OK, I exaggerated. It's something like 1 in 670 with a .10 BAC, though it's obviously hard to get accurate odds.

http://www.dui.com/dui-library/studies/research/stopped-for-dui

Still, the point stands. If you get multiple DUIs, you are probably driving under the influence A LOT.

Durango
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Couldn't agree more. I would love to have Peterson or Miller, but the truth is, we're not going to win games until we stop everybody running all over us. The West is a running division, with KC and Oak fielding top rushing games and San Diego trying to build the run back up to the Tomlinson days. We desperately need some top talent for the interior defensive line.

That being said, I'd still be pretty excited about the talent of a Miller or Peterson, but c'mon Denver, address the real problem.

FireFly
04-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Yeah, that's the concern. He's kind of similar to DJ, really. Elite skill set, but only average instincts. Still, I don't think there is much chance of him being a "bust." Worst case scenario, he's an above average starter (like DJ).

Which would be better than most draft picks turn out! With anything other than a top 5 pick I'd settle for this almost every time!

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Couldn't agree more. I would love to have Peterson or Miller, but the truth is, we're not going to win games until we stop everybody running all over us. The West is a running division, with KC and Oak fielding top rushing games and San Diego trying to build the run back up to the Tomlinson days. We desperately need some top talent for the interior defensive line.

That being said, I'd still be pretty excited about the talent of a Miller or Peterson, but c'mon Denver, address the real problem.

But that's the thing the "DL or bust at #2" crowd can't seem to wrap their minds around....one pick isn't going to make or break the DL. The Lions D still sucked even with Suh playing like an animal right out of the gate. We have other picks plus FA to address DL. I think people are just overly sensitive about it after Shanny ignored the DL for YEARS. But it wasn't one pick here or there that created the problem; it was YEARS of neglecting the DL in the draft and counting on FA also-rans like McGlockton, Leon Lett, IHOP and the Browncos (though to be fair, the Browncos worked out OK for one season) to make an impact.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Which would be better than most draft picks turn out! With anything other than a top 5 pick I'd settle for this almost every time!

I agree. In the second round, an above average starter is an acceptable outcome.

epicSocialism4tw
04-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Von Miller may have the biggest instant impact of any player in this draft. I've read in several places he'd be a prime ROY candidate regardless of where he goes.

I got from him that he's one of those natural guys. The game just comes easy to him. His football instincts are top notch and he's a freak athlete. Its not likely that he has problems adjusting to whatever he's asked to do.

Shananahan
04-27-2011, 04:57 PM
That isn't exact. Hold on, I'll google it. I saw it awhile back.

EDIT: OK, I exaggerated. It's something like 1 in 670 with a .10 BAC, though it's obviously hard to get accurate odds.

http://www.dui.com/dui-library/studies/research/stopped-for-dui

Still, the point stands. If you get multiple DUIs, you are probably driving under the influence A LOT.
Thanks, and I agree.

oubronco
04-27-2011, 05:17 PM
Looked like as good a place as anywhere to post this

Broncos | Interested in bidding for Stephen Nicholas
Sat, 23 Apr 2011 22:55:52 -0700
The Denver Broncos (http://www.orangemane.com/team/15/nfl/denver-broncos) are interested in bidding for free-agent LB Stephen Nicholas (http://www.orangemane.com/player/13555/nfl/stephen-nicholas) (Falcons) once free agency begins, reports D. Orlando Ledbetter (http://www.orangemane.com/link/204), of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://www.orangemane.com/link/205).

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/team/15/nfl/denver-broncos#ixzz1Klwqs513

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 05:19 PM

The Denver Broncos (http://www.orangemane.com/team/15/nfl/denver-broncos) are interested in bidding for free-agent LB Stephen Nicholas (http://www.orangemane.com/player/13555/nfl/stephen-nicholas) (Falcons) once free agency begins, reports D. Orlando Ledbetter (http://www.orangemane.com/link/204), of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (http://www.orangemane.com/link/205).

I think this was posted elsewhere. Nicholas is a WLB, so I guess they would put DJ at MLB? Or maybe even release him. He's probably facing another suspension and his salary ($6 million) is steep for a guy who is just above average, so I wouldn't rule it out.

JDB7821
04-27-2011, 05:20 PM

He would be an immediate upgrade for the Broncos. He's really an underrated, all-around linebacker. He's been able to play the weak and strong side since he's been with us and can actually blitz pretty well. For the inevitable "if he's so great, why aren't they bringing him back?", it's because he's looking for a bigger contract than we're probably willing to give him.

JDB7821
04-27-2011, 05:22 PM
I think this was posted elsewhere. Nicholas is a WLB, so I guess they would put DJ at MLB? Or maybe even release him. He's probably facing another suspension and his salary ($6 million) is steep for a guy who is just above average, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Nicholas played the strong side this past season, alternating with Weatherspoon while he was injured and working his way back into the lineup. He's pretty versatile and has worked in a scheme similar to Fox's.

montrose
04-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Boy Im torn. Initially I looked at this as the time to finally get premium help up front but as time has moved on I lean more towards getting an elite prospect like Miller or Peterson than a good prospect like Dareus or risky one like Fairley. As long as its not a QB Ill be fine but I right now if trading down isnt an option, Id lean towards one of the two best playmaking defenders in Miller and Peterson instead of Dareus (who looks more like a 3-4 guy to me) or Fairley (who has character concerns and only one big time year of production but would be a better fit and value at the pick than Dareus).

Tomorrow should be exciting and if Schefter is right Ill look forward to watching Doom rush the passer on one side, Ayers on the other (finally from his natural position in a 4-3) and Miller blitzing all over the place.

eddie mac
04-27-2011, 05:29 PM

I can't see them cutting DJ whenever he would still have open market value (especially as a WLB) if teams ever agree to let vet trades proceed.

McDman
04-27-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't even care anymore who we pick, as long as it's one of the big three, I just can't wait for the draft!

SureShot
04-27-2011, 05:58 PM
#2 seems high for a SLB to me. I would get more excited over a Patrick Willis type LBer.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Nicholas played the strong side this past season, alternating with Weatherspoon while he was injured and working his way back into the lineup. He's pretty versatile and has worked in a scheme similar to Fox's.

Ah, gotcha. I would think he would be out of the picture if we draft Miller, unless they do, in fact, plan to release DJ.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 06:00 PM
I can't see them cutting DJ whenever he would still have open market value (especially as a WLB) if teams ever agree to let vet trades proceed.

Maybe, but at his salary it would likely be hard to move him.

NFLBRONCO
04-27-2011, 06:00 PM
So does this shut the door on any kind of trade down from 2?

WolfpackGuy
04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
What other teams are hot for Miller?

I like him, but not at 2.

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 06:03 PM
What other teams are hot for Miller?

I like him, but not at 2.

If we pass, he probably goes to Buffalo at #3. Arizona at #5 at the lowest.

ward63
04-27-2011, 06:42 PM
My draft reaction:
Peterson - Bliss
Von - Ecstatic
Dareus- Very Happy
A.J. Green - Optimistic

I completely agree with this!

KevinJames
04-27-2011, 06:43 PM
I think we like Miller the most out of any prospect but ultimately pass up on him due to the fact we may not be able to utilize his strengths to the best of their ability and draft Patrick Peterson the safest player on the board that we can draft.

If we draft Miller at #2 we better be sure he can line up at SLB and drop back in coverage when we need him to, if we were running a 3-4 it be a no brainer but with us wanting be a 4-3 team I can't see it. Also don't rule out the Broncos hyping Miller up as the pick to entice someone who wants him to ask the Broncos what they want for him.

eddie mac
04-27-2011, 07:28 PM
Maybe, but at his salary it would likely be hard to move him.

In this day and age of guaranteed money that may well be a problem or not depending on what is guaranteed and whether Denver would be on the hook for it. He's still a good player, just been ****ed about for 3-4 seasons with different schemes, different positions and turds playing directly in front of him. How he would love to have a Ngata or Gregg in front of him like Lewis has had for a few years.

eddie mac
04-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Plenty of the analysts in this draft including Mayock stated as late as yesterday/today that Miller's best fit was 3-4 OLB but then he goes and chucks Miller to us in his mock at 2. Go figure, maybe he thinks that the player is just too good to pass up at 2 even if it is not an ideal scheme for him. I suppose we'll know in 22 hours or so.

Ray Finkle
04-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Poo

Sticks

that is all

OrangeSe7en
04-27-2011, 07:39 PM
I think we like Miller the most out of any prospect but ultimately pass up on him due to the fact we may not be able to utilize his strengths to the best of their ability and draft Patrick Peterson the safest player on the board that we can draft.

If we draft Miller at #2 we better be sure he can line up at SLB and drop back in coverage when we need him to, if we were running a 3-4 it be a no brainer but with us wanting be a 4-3 team I can't see it. Also don't rule out the Broncos hyping Miller up as the pick to entice someone who wants him to ask the Broncos what they want for him.

Fox said they cant afford to miss and this becomes somewhat problematic when Miller has no defined position.

Im predicting a DT.

BroncoMan4ever
04-27-2011, 07:47 PM

how much longer are we stuck with DJs bloated contract?

if we got Nicholas, how much would it cost us to cut ties completely with DJ?

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 07:55 PM
In this day and age of guaranteed money that may well be a problem or not depending on what is guaranteed and whether Denver would be on the hook for it. He's still a good player, just been ****ed about for 3-4 seasons with different schemes, different positions and turds playing directly in front of him. How he would love to have a Ngata or Gregg in front of him like Lewis has had for a few years.

Sorry, I don't buy the excuse that he's been "****ed" playing out of position. He's an underachiever based on his talent level, period. Willis has had garbage in front of him most of his career, but he still plays at an All-Pro level, so I don't want to hear it. DJ on any team and under any circumstances is an above average player, but that's it. Overpayed based on performance/production.

ICON
04-27-2011, 08:01 PM
misdirection at its finest

Cleo McDowell
04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
misdirection at its finest

i work at a sporting goods store fox frequents and the man does not tell a lie.

DarkHorse
04-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Hell just yesterday or the day before Mayock was saying Denver will probably take Peterson and shore up the d-line in the 2nd round. Now it's Miller and d-line in the 2nd.

ton80
04-28-2011, 12:15 AM
That about describes my reaction... My draft party is going to end early if we pick Cam.

Get the **** out. Now!

Beantown Bronco
04-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Sorry, I don't buy the excuse that he's been "****ed" playing out of position. He's an underachiever based on his talent level, period. Willis has had garbage in front of him most of his career, but he still plays at an All-Pro level, so I don't want to hear it. DJ on any team and under any circumstances is an above average player, but that's it. Overpayed based on performance/production.

Aubrayo Franklin says "say what!?!"

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Aubrayo Franklin says "say what!?!"

One guy. Plus, I said "most of his career," not all of it.

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Pro bowlers Bryant Young and Justin Smith say "say what?!"

NFLBRONCO
04-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Convince me Miller isn't Curry Pt 2? He was hyped to hell and he has done squat in Seattle.

BroncoSojia
04-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Quick someone put together a list of the top 5 SAM LBs in the league and how many them would be worth taking with a top 5 pick.

outdoor_miner
04-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Convince me Miller isn't Curry Pt 2? He was hyped to hell and he has done squat in Seattle.

Well - for one thing, Curry was never considered a pass rusher. 9 sacks in 4 years. There was hope that he could turn into one...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=161170

TheChamp24
04-28-2011, 07:42 AM
IF Von Miller can produce like Derrick Thomas/Lawrence Taylor, then he's worthy of that #2 pick.

But seriously, how many freakin times will these media heads flip flop our pick? Wasn't it like 2 weeks ago "Broncos to pick Dareus!" then "Broncos to take Peterson!" and now "Broncos to take Miller!"

Beantown Bronco
04-28-2011, 07:44 AM
But seriously, how many freakin times will these media heads flip flop our pick? Wasn't it like 2 weeks ago "Broncos to pick Dareus!" then "Broncos to take Peterson!" and now "Broncos to take Miller!"

That's a good thing. Keep everyone guessing and maybe someone will panic and want to move up into our spot.

WolfpackGuy
04-28-2011, 07:48 AM
So what is the book on Miller?

Is he like a darker, faster Karl Mecklenburg since he seems to be more of a tweener guy.

Abqbronco
04-28-2011, 07:57 AM
So what is the book on Miller?

Is he like a darker, faster Karl Mecklenburg since he seems to be more of a tweener guy.

Good point. Sort of... Everyone is darker than Meck...

bendog
04-28-2011, 07:59 AM

Except Hillis. :)

Gcver2ver3
04-28-2011, 08:04 AM

correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Orakpo play some LB for the Redskins?

since Orakpo was a great pass rusher in college, would he be the better comparrison here?...

SonOfLe-loLang
04-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Quick someone put together a list of the top 5 SAM LBs in the league and how many them would be worth taking with a top 5 pick.

For the ONE GAZILLIONITH TIME, HE WILL NOT BE A TRADITIONAL SAM. HE WILL BE MOVED ALL OVER THE FIELD TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ZONE BLITZES. Think of him more like Merriman in his prime, DeMarcus Ware, those types except maybe more athletic

bronco militia
04-28-2011, 08:09 AM
is it me, or does Von Miller get away with making too many arm tackles? His tackles on film look like missed tackles in the NFL.

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 08:10 AM
correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't Orakpo play some LB for the Redskins?

since Orakpo was a great pass rusher in college, would he be the better comparrison here?...

That's a better comp, imo. Still a lot different skill set. Orakpo was 20 lbs bigger with a lot more power, but Miller is about .1 seconds faster. Different play-styles as well.

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 08:13 AM
is it me, or does Von Miller get away with making too many arm tackles? His tackles on film look like missed tackles in the NFL.

I don't like how many times his tackles get broken and someone else has to finish. Even in his highlight vid.

It's STILL slowing the player enough to where the rest of the D should be swarming and not an issue, but..........

My other question is CAN he rush the passer when he's actually blocked?

Combine that with "How are we going to effectively use him?" and I dunno. I'll LOVE him, his ability, his character, his leadership, etc and be really optimistic, but that's too many ?s at #2 for ME, personally.

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Pro bowlers Bryant Young and Justin Smith say "say what?!"

Bryant Young was well past his prime. Justin Smith is decent, but in any case a DE not a space eater that would occupy blockers to benefit a LB. My point is correct.

Rohirrim
04-28-2011, 08:14 AM
Von must feel that it is a waste of his time to tackle players after they get past the line of scrimmage. His effort off the snap is excellent, but if the play goes the other way, he gives a half hearted effort and lets others do the work. He has the talent to be a good cover linebacker, but it looks like to me that it is not a priority or he just doesn't care. All I can say is that I think Von is interested in two stats: "sacks" and "tackles behind the line of scrimmage". If he can add an interception or two to the mix, then that's all right with him, but it's not a priority. Being able to play football at the next level successfully starts by playing football at the college level to the best of your abilities on every play and not just the ones you decide you want to play. Von is a smart kid who thinks that if he does one thing and does it well that this will be his ticket to success at the next level. I just disagree. I know Von with all his awards and workouts will be drafted early, but as I say all the time, "it takes more than talent to play in the NFL" -- it takes heart, character and hard work as well.
(Huddle Report)

oubronco
04-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Uh Oh

bronco militia
04-28-2011, 08:20 AM
hehe......ok, so I wasn't the only one.

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Von must feel that it is a waste of his time to tackle players after they get past the line of scrimmage. His effort off the snap is excellent, but if the play goes the other way, he gives a half hearted effort and lets others do the work. He has the talent to be a good cover linebacker, but it looks like to me that it is not a priority or he just doesn't care. All I can say is that I think Von is interested in two stats: "sacks" and "tackles behind the line of scrimmage". If he can add an interception or two to the mix, then that's all right with him, but it's not a priority. Being able to play football at the next level successfully starts by playing football at the college level to the best of your abilities on every play and not just the ones you decide you want to play. Von is a smart kid who thinks that if he does one thing and does it well that this will be his ticket to success at the next level. I just disagree. I know Von with all his awards and workouts will be drafted early, but as I say all the time, "it takes more than talent to play in the NFL" -- it takes heart, character and hard work as well.
(Huddle Report)

Welllllllllll I don't agree with that at all.

I have questions about Miller along with things I love. Effort and care and heart and work are not among those questions.

55CrushEm
04-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Someone mentioned it earlier....and it got me worried. Help me feel better that the chances of Miller becoming another Vernon Gholston are low.........

bronco militia
04-28-2011, 08:24 AM

pow pow!

Gcver2ver3
04-28-2011, 08:24 AM
(Huddle Report)

well i guess he and i have something in common, because at this point thats all i care about getting out of him....

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Someone mentioned it earlier....and it got me worried. Help me feel better that the chances of Miller becoming another Vernon Gholston are low.........

After TAKING him at #5 for a great fit in AZ in the OM Mock Draft:

Was really hoping the top 4 shook out a little different. I had to take Von Miller and I'm already having Vernon Gholston nightmares.

Beantown Bronco
04-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Well, considering they play a 3-4 and Franklin is the one DIRECTLY in front of Willis, I'd say that's something.

And I don't understand what you're saying about "most" not "all". Both players have been with the 9ers for the same amount of seasons (since 97).

Bryant Young was well past his prime. Justin Smith is decent, but in any case a DE not a space eater that would occupy blockers to benefit a LB. My point is correct.

Ummmm, that is precisely what Aubrayo Franklin is for. You know, one of the best nose tackles in the league for the last few years....the guy who plays directly in front of said LB. But whatever. Keep pretending he's been playing with nothing but garbage.

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 08:30 AM
(since 97).

Keyboard slip?

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 08:32 AM
Welllllllllll I don't agree with that at all.

I have questions about Miller along with things I love. Effort and care and heart and work are not among those questions.

Exactly. And to be fair to Von, the reason he probably focused exclusively on sacks/tackles for loss is because that's what the coaches wanted him to do out of the joker spot. I have no doubts that if Fox/Allen ask him to cover, he will do it and with maximum effort.

NFLBRONCO
04-28-2011, 08:33 AM
For the ONE GAZILLIONITH TIME, HE WILL NOT BE A TRADITIONAL SAM. HE WILL BE MOVED ALL OVER THE FIELD TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ZONE BLITZES. Think of him more like Merriman in his prime, DeMarcus Ware, those types except maybe more athletic

If we actually do this with Miller I'm more ok with selection.

Beantown Bronco
04-28-2011, 08:33 AM
Keyboard slip?

dammit

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Peterson or Dareus or GTFO.

That is all.

BroncoSojia
04-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Peterson or Dareus or GTFO.

That is all.

this

Rohirrim
04-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I have the sneaky suspicion that the best defensive player taken in this first round will end up being Nick Fairley. I want him in the O&B, but I'll be okay with a trade down if it's rich enough. If Miller or Peterson are the pick, it will work out okay, perhaps. In a couple of years Fox can use one of them for trade bait when he gets serious about building a defensive line. That's all I've wanted for the Broncos for a decade or so now. We have the chance to do it now. Will the FO go instead for the "bling?" I don't know. I hope not. Build the lines. First. Now.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
this

I am so worried that I'm going to be disappointed. I like Von Miller, just not for us.

KCStud
04-28-2011, 08:51 AM
God I hope you guys don't select Miller. He's the best player in the draft IMO.

Would be kinda weird though. Miller's favorite player and mentor that he wants to be like is Derrick Thomas. Very fitting that one of Thomas' biggest rivals is the man drafting him.

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 08:56 AM
I have the sneaky suspicion that the best defensive player taken in this first round will end up being Nick Fairley. I want him in the O&B, but I'll be okay with a trade down if it's rich enough. If Miller or Peterson are the pick, it will work out okay, perhaps. In a couple of years Fox can use one of them for trade bait when he gets serious about building a defensive line. That's all I've wanted for the Broncos for a decade or so now. We have the chance to do it now. Will the FO go instead for the "bling?" I don't know. I hope not. Build the lines. First. Now.

I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating:

[T]hat's the thing the "DL or bust at #2" crowd can't seem to wrap their minds around....one pick isn't going to make or break the DL. The Lions D still sucked even with Suh playing like an animal right out of the gate. We have other picks plus FA to address DL. I think people are just overly sensitive about it after Shanny ignored the DL for YEARS. But it wasn't one pick here or there that created the problem; it was YEARS of neglecting the DL in the draft and counting on FA also-rans like McGlockton, Leon Lett, IHOP and the Browncos (though to be fair, the Browncos worked out OK for one season) to make an impact.

strafen
04-28-2011, 09:00 AM
I've personally never been impressed with players coming out of Texas.
I hope Von Miller can prove me wrong if we indeed end up selecting him.

I still like Marcell Dareus. Can't go wrong there with a player from Alabama.
Defense University!

Rohirrim
04-28-2011, 09:06 AM

[T]hat's the thing the "DL or bust at #2" crowd can't seem to wrap their minds around....one pick isn't going to make or break the DL. The Lions D still sucked even with Suh playing like an animal right out of the gate. We have other picks plus FA to address DL. I think people are just overly sensitive about it after Shanny ignored the DL for YEARS. But it wasn't one pick here or there that created the problem; it was YEARS of neglecting the DL in the draft and counting on FA also-rans like McGlockton, Leon Lett, IHOP and the Browncos (though to be fair, the Browncos worked out OK for one season) to make an impact.

Everybody likes to talk about the philosophy of "great teams begin with great lines" but few teams make the investment.

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Everybody likes to talk about the philosophy of "great teams begin with great lines" but few teams make the investment.

Right. But my point is, not taking DL at #2 does not mean we can't still make that investment. I highly doubt the DL is going to get totally ignored like it did under Shanny. We need defensive playmakers wherever we can get them.

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 09:10 AM

Houston is whipping some serious ass with that philosophy.

oubronco
04-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Houston is whipping some serious ass with that philosophy.

Interestingly they are trying to trade up to get PP

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 09:11 AM

...by shopping former "can't miss" DT Amobi Okoye with an assload of draft picks.

Oh, the irony.

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 09:13 AM
BTW Beantown....mea culpa. I honestly forgot about Franklin, so my use of the word "garbage" was hyperbole. Though I'm still don't think their DL is that great as a unit. Smith and Young have been on the decline for awhile. Smith, in particular, I've always felt was overated. But, yeah, that was "foot in mouth moment."

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 09:14 AM

Btw... they selected him over Revis.

How do you think they look back on that move?

ICON
04-28-2011, 09:15 AM
An interesting question for you Miller Fan boys ;D, name the top impact SAM LB's in the NFL today, and how many of them are worth a top 5 pick?

Cmac821
04-28-2011, 09:15 AM
...by shopping former "can't miss" DT Amobi Okoye with an assload of draft picks.

Oh, the irony.

I don't even know how well Okoye is doing, would he be an upgrade to what we have?

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 09:16 AM
I don't even know how well Okoye is doing, would he be an upgrade to what we have?

He's a warm body, at least.

Shananahan
How old is Okoye now? 25? I don't ever watch them play so I have no idea what a bust he really is, but wasn't he drafted when he was 19 or something? You'd have to think the guy still has a lot of developing he could be doing. If Houston threw out their first two picks this year along with a 1st next year plus Okoye I would probably jump on it.

Rohirrim
Right. But my point is, not taking DL at #2 does not mean we can't still make that investment. I highly doubt the DL is going to get totally ignored like it did under Shanny. We need defensive playmakers wherever we can get them.

I think that, given the way the game is played now, the pass rush is priority #1. If this was triage and the Broncos were the patient, their pass rush would be the equivalent of "stop the bleeding."

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I think that, given the way the game is played now, the pass rush is priority #1. If this was triage and the Broncos were the patient, their pass rush would be the equivalent of "stop the bleeding."

Then Miller is the best pick for us since he is, hands down, the best pass rusher in the draft.

NFLBRONCO
04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
OMG Paige wants us to draft Peterson (Kiss of death)

LetsGoBroncos
04-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Then Miller is the best pick for us since he is, hands down, the best pass rusher in the draft.

He would be if we were running a 3-4. Don't like it with us in a 4-3

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 09:20 AM
How old is Okoye now? 25? I don't ever watch them play so I have no idea what a bust he really is, but wasn't he drafted when he was 19 or something? You'd have to think the guy still has a lot of developing he could be doing. If Houston threw out their first two picks this year along with a 1st next year plus Okoye I would probably jump on it.

23. He could still develop. Some DTs are in their 4th or 5th season before they hit their stride (though he did just finish his 4th). I'd take him as a throw in, but certainly not as the center piece, in a trade with Houston.

Rohirrim
04-28-2011, 09:23 AM

How would the Broncos utilize him in a 4/3? Does he rush the same side as Doom? Personally, I prefer the idea of a guy like Fairley going right up the middle. To me, that is the indefensible rush, and the one QBs hate the most. You can step up to avoid the outside rush (and the Broncos have Doom returning - one of the best outside rush men in the business). When the rush comes from inside, it breaks up everything - the pocket, the run, motions. IMO, if a team can get a top tier inside pass rusher, they should take it.

baja
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
At 2 take the safest pick and IMO that's Peterson.

bendog
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
the guy is 245 pounds and runs a sub 4.6. I think the question is whehter he can play a 4-3 Sam, and personally I doubt it. But, I don't see why he couldn't play a 4-3 Will on Doom's side. Doom's not stout against the run, but it's not like Miller's IanImLightintheLoafersGold. The blitz potential is pretty huge.

MABroncoFan
04-28-2011, 09:29 AM
rotoworld.com...

According to CBS Sports' Rob Rang, the Broncos "seem to be infatuated" with Texas A&M LB Von Miller and "will be taking" him with the No. 2 pick.

It's become a dramatic shift in the matter of one day, with Denver seemingly now hell bent on Miller after several weeks of belief they'd take Marcell Dareus. ESPN's Todd McShay, the Dallas Morning News' Rick Gosselin, NFL Network's Mike Mayock, and independent draft analyst Chris Steuber all have Miller going second overall. Then, it looks like Buffalo will take Dareus. Related: BroncosSource: CBS Sports Apr 28, 12:09 PM

Rohirrim
04-28-2011, 09:42 AM
If Gosselin says it, it's pretty much a done deal.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-28-2011, 09:45 AM

oubronco
04-28-2011, 09:45 AM

Chris
04-28-2011, 09:55 AM

I want us to trade down and draft Fairley.

WolfpackGuy
04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
This is just all coming out of nowhere.

Rohirrim
04-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I want us to trade down and draft Fairley.

My dream draft would be Fairley at #2 and then trade back into the first for Phil Taylor. We'd be kicking ass for years.

TheReverend
04-28-2011, 10:18 AM
My dream draft would be Fairley at #2 and then trade back into the first for Phil Taylor. We'd be kicking ass for years.

...off the field, at the least. Then they could go to prison together!

Boss Man
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM

no its not going to "make or break the dl," but it is a step in the right direction...we already have a solid core at CB, the lions didnt, and well also have one of the best pass rushers in the game returning that didnt play a snap last year...so drafting a top notch d lineman could very well have a massive impact on this team...but thats something the "peterson or bust crowd cant seem to wrap their head around"

JDB7821
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Excuse the ignorance, but why can't Miller be the weakside linebacker and DJ be the Sam? I think that's probably the best way to maximize his ability and he's obviously much more involved in the long term plans of the Broncos than DJ.

NFLBRONCO
04-28-2011, 10:28 AM
On the ticket they talked with Klis.

He said,

At #2 he definately feels is Miller (Typical Denver Draft I was hoping we'd actually have new fresh approach this time)(Nothing against Miller at all he's a ok choice)

Denver would like 6 picks in first 4 rounds.

Unless a last minute trade down its Miller.

Dedhed
04-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Excuse the ignorance, but why can't Miller be the weakside linebacker and DJ be the Sam? I think that's probably the best way to maximize his ability and he's obviously much more involved in the long term plans of the Broncos than DJ.

DJ sucks at both Sam and Mike. The Sam in Fox's scheme is more the rushing LB, which makes Miller the perfect man for that role.

Miller is the best front 7 prospect by a huge margin, so he'd have a huge immediate impact.

ICON
If Gosselin says it, it's pretty much a done deal.

Gosselin has been the most accurate over the past 5 years with his mock draft! s@#t

LRtagger
I said this in another thread, but he will play SAM and have the same role in the 4-3 that Orakpo did in his rookie year under Zorn - SAM on 1st and 2nd down and DE in nickel/dime situations (11 sacks, pro bowl, etc). I could definitely get behind that.

mhgaffney
04-28-2011, 10:34 AM
If this happens, Doom will become even more effective.

ICON
04-28-2011, 10:36 AM
#1 - Newton
#2 - Miller
#3 - Dareus
#4 - Green
#5 - Peterson
#6 - Jones
#7 - Gabbert
#8 - Locker
#9 - Tyron Smith
#10 - Ponder
#11 - Aldon S
#12 - Dalton Smith
#13 - Fairley
#14 - Ingram
#15 - Pouncey
#16 - Kerrigan
#17 - Jordan
#18 - Liuget
#19 - Solder
#20 - Quinn
#21 - Carimi
#22 - Castonzo
#23 - Smith
#24 - Clayborn
#25 - Amukamara
#26 - Watt
#27 - Taylor
#28 - Watkins
#29 - Austin
#30 - Sherrod
#31 - Heyward
#32 - Williams

BroncoInferno
04-28-2011, 10:44 AM
no its not going to "make or break the dl," but it is a step in the right direction...we already have a solid core at CB, the lions didnt, and well also have one of the best pass rushers in the game returning that didnt play a snap last year...so drafting a top notch d lineman could very well have a massive impact on this team...but thats something the "peterson or bust crowd cant seem to wrap their head around"

Well, the difference is that the Peterson or bust crowd (which, by the way, doesn't exist...pretty much all the proponents of Peterson have stated they are OK with Dareus) is that we actually want us to draft the best player (Peterson or Miller) rather than drafting DL just because it's a greater need. That is the sounder, saner, more logical approach. Dareus is good, but not a truly elite propsect like Miller and Peterson. And, as I stated, the #2 pick is not going to make or break our DL one way or the other.

phisig150
04-28-2011, 11:12 AM
I think Miller is a smokescreen. Arizona will trade up. At AZ's spot we take either Dareus or Peterson. One will drop to us. Ideally we trade out of 5 with a team clamoring for Gabbert and Peterson or Fairey are still in play maybe at Tenn Spot. I'm predicting a Den. tradedown hopefully two

zdoor
04-28-2011, 11:21 AM
the guy is 245 pounds and runs a sub 4.6. I think the question is whehter he can play a 4-3 Sam, and personally I doubt it. But, I don't see why he couldn't play a 4-3 Will on Doom's side. Doom's not stout against the run, but it's not like Miller's IanImLightintheLoafersGold. The blitz potential is pretty huge.

I think he plays strong side. He is a strong athlete and my bet is he covers TE. On 2nd and long or 3rd he's moved around and can come on blitz or put his hand down. We'll likely play a tone of hybrid and be in base on 1st. He gives us a lot of versatility and we'll go DT in the 2nd. There is depth in this draft there...

Rabb
04-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I think Miller is a smokescreen. Arizona will trade up. At AZ's spot we take either Dareus or Peterson. One will drop to us. Ideally we trade out of 5 with a team clamoring for Gabbert and Peterson or Fairey are still in play maybe at Tenn Spot. I'm predicting a Den. tradedown hopefully two

I was thinking that same thing really

NFLBRONCO
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Too many people are saying we love Miller but, I hope your correct on trade downs.

Tombstone RJ
04-28-2011, 11:26 AM
There's rumors that AZ is wanting to trade down...

Lestat
04-28-2011, 11:30 AM
unless the Texans,Bills or 49'ers badly want him and will trade up for him i don't see how it's a smokescreen. you essentially know that Cam is going #1, so the Broncos have their choice at #2.

JDB7821
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
After drafting Miller at 2, would anyone want to move back up for Bowers if he falls to 24ish? The medical concerns are there, but if he pans out that's one fierce pass rush with Miller, Bowers, Dumervil, and a little bit of Ayers.

primetime714
04-28-2011, 11:47 AM

Yea I've always thought Arizona was the logical trading partner. Von Miller is perfect for their scheme and he won't make it past Buffalo. Miller and Dareus got 2 and 3. Then Green or Gabbert goes 4, looks like Green right now. The Broncos either take Peterson at 5 or trade down with a team taking Gabbert.

Ideal scenario: trade down to 5, San Fran jumps Cleveland to ensure they get Gabbert. Browns go with Jones, Broncos take Peterson at 7 and pick up a number of picks so that we can go DL crazy after the first.

Carmelo15
04-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Yea I've always thought Arizona was the logical trading partner. Von Miller is perfect for their scheme and he won't make it past Buffalo. Miller and Dareus got 2 and 3. Then Green or Gabbert goes 4, looks like Green right now. The Broncos either take Peterson at 5 or trade down with a team taking Gabbert.

Ideal scenario: trade down to 5, San Fran jumps Cleveland to ensure they get Gabbert. Browns go with Jones, Broncos take Peterson at 7 and pick up a number of picks so that we can go DL crazy after the first.

No way San Fran takes Gabbert over Peterson. That's just getting too cute. Trade down to 5 and walk away with the best player in the draft. That's ideal enough as it is. Patrick Peterson and 3 2nd round picks. Awesome

Carmelo15
04-28-2011, 11:51 AM
After drafting Miller at 2, would anyone want to move back up for Bowers if he falls to 24ish? The medical concerns are there, but if he pans out that's one fierce pass rush with Miller, Bowers, Dumervil, and a little bit of Ayers.

That would be pretty awesome and I could see the Broncos considering a move like this

cmhargrove
04-28-2011, 01:17 PM

I'm no GM, I don't even play one on TV. However, I just don't get the Bowers hype. When i watch tape, I just don't see it, maybe i'm crazy.

If I want a pass rusher, I take Miller and never look back. Ayers and Dumervil can come off the ends, then send Miller into any hole you wish and it will be deadly. Bowers could be great, but I just don't see that his college tape looks that much better than Ayers'. He had one year with a high sack count (which is par for the course in college), but it doesn't guarantee success at the next level.

I look at Bowers kind of like Chris Long a couple years ago. He had a fine career, one huge year, drafted very highly, then just played ok in the NFL. He may very well develop into a great player, but he has hardly been as "lights out" as he was expected to be. That's just my opinion.

Beantown Bronco
04-28-2011, 01:21 PM
then send Miller into any hole you wish and it will be deadly.

Hell, if that's all we need, save the draft pick and the money and sign Travis Henry to a league minimum deal.

oubronco
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM
AZ has said they want to trade down not up and last I heard on spn was Houston was trying to trade with them to tale PP

Chris
04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Wonder if I should head up to Radio City on a whim tonight. Guess it's too late.

McDman
04-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Wonder if I should head up to Radio City on a whim tonight. Guess it's too late.

That would be sweet but no chance you'd get a seat.

cmhargrove
04-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Hell, if that's all we need, save the draft pick and the money and sign Travis Henry to a league minimum deal.

Child support has to be killing him. Get it done!

epicSocialism4tw
04-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm no GM, I don't even play one on TV. However, I just don't get the Bowers hype. When i watch tape, I just don't see it, maybe i'm crazy.

If I want a pass rusher, I take Miller and never look back. Ayers and Dumervil can come off the ends, then send Miller into any hole you wish and it will be deadly. Bowers could be great, but I just don't see that his college tape looks that much better than Ayers'. He had one year with a high sack count (which is par for the course in college), but it doesn't guarantee success at the next level.

I look at Bowers kind of like Chris Long a couple years ago. He had a fine career, one huge year, drafted very highly, then just played ok in the NFL. He may very well develop into a great player, but he has hardly been as "lights out" as he was expected to be. That's just my opinion.

I like Bowers. He's an extremely strong and big player on the edge. He definitely has the "wow" factor. He can just move guys out of the way or just push right through them. He's also a good kid who comes from a good family, so you know you arent getting some moron.

Chris
04-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Trade down and grab Fairley. I'm telling you he will be the stud of this draft.

McDman
04-28-2011, 01:54 PM
I like Miller and won't be upset if we get him but people keep comparing him to Ware and Merriman. The problem is they both played in a 3-4, he can't have that same type of freedom in a 4-3. His joker role will be reduced dramatically.

I'd be interested to know who he i s comparable to in a 4-3.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-28-2011, 02:09 PM
I like Miller and won't be upset if we get him but people keep comparing him to Ware and Merriman. The problem is they both played in a 3-4, he can't have that same type of freedom in a 4-3. His joker role will be reduced dramatically.

I'd be interested to know who he i s comparable to in a 4-3.

Mike Croel.

McDman
04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Mike Croel.

Is he worth the 2nd pick in the draft?

ColoradoBuff
04-28-2011, 02:26 PM
i'm starting to think Miller is a smokescreen as well.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Is he worth the 2nd pick in the draft?

I really don't think so.

We already have a pass-rush specialist in Doom. Why we need another is... it's just baffling to me.

I hope it's a smokescreen. With the reaction of all the NFL beat writers -- many expressing shock at the Miller vibe supposedly coming from Dove Valley -- I wonder if it really is just smoke.

Just hope there's no fire behind it.

epicSocialism4tw
04-28-2011, 02:28 PM
i'm starting to think Miller is a smokescreen as well.

I'm thinking that we're picking Dareus.

ColoradoBuff
04-28-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm thinking that we're picking Dareus.

I think it's either Dareus or Peterson at 2. if we trade down, then i think it's for Fairley.

Tombstone RJ
04-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I really don't think so.

We already have a pass-rush specialist in Doom. Why we need another is... it's just baffling to me.

I hope it's a smokescreen. With the reaction of all the NFL beat writers -- many expressing shock at the Miller vibe supposedly coming from Dove Valley -- I wonder if it really is just smoke.

Just hope there's no fire behind it.

Were the Broncos running a 4-3 when Croel was drafted?

epicSocialism4tw
04-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I think it's either Dareus or Peterson at 2. if we trade down, then i think it's for Fairley.

Peterson just doesnt make as much sense as Dareus or Miller.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

I believe so.

I just think there are a lot of similarities between the two players, including the fact that many are saying Miller will win the DROY award, and Croel won the DROY.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Says the guy who claims trickle down economics works.

Having EpicFAIL heading up the "what makes sense" committee is like having Orly Taitz head up a mental health task force.

Rohirrim
04-28-2011, 02:50 PM
http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/miller_von00.html

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/3395328.jpeg

First nomination for nickname: Clark Kent

Dedhed
04-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Wow. What an earth shattering take from you. Impressive!

epicSocialism4tw
04-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Wow. What an earth shattering take from you. Impressive!

It was without a doubt better than this ^

footstepsfrom#27
04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
They aparently think Miller is an OLB in the 4-3 based on his post season workouts, but how much did this guy ever have to drop into coverage in college? I'm extremely leery of picking a guy #2 in the draft for a position switch, which is what that is. The only two choices that make sense at #2 are Peterson and Dareus, and while I want Peterson, I'll be happy with Dareus also if they pick him. I'm not convinced a rush end who is 6'3", 245 and has to play weakside LB in a 4-3 defense is a smart option this high up. I'd rather gamble like that in the 2nd round. If Denver could somehow move down to #5, still pick up Peterson plus a 2nd from the Cards, they'd have the 2nd round ammo to go after anyone they wanted, even a move back into the top ten if they wanted Fairley for example. Or they could sit tight and draft three D-line guys in the 2nd round...lots of options better than Von Miller IMO.

Requiem
04-28-2011, 03:18 PM
Dareus quote in a Denver Post article said it was hard for him to breathe here. LOL.

ColoradoBuff
04-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Dareus quote in a Denver Post article said it was hard for him to breathe here. LOL.

i saw that...he was talking about walking up a flight of stairs and had trouble breathing! ouch!

cutthemdown
04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Why compare Croel to Miller though? I don't see it. Croel was a long time ago.

maven
04-28-2011, 03:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f89f98/Von-Miller-I-want-to-be-a-Cowboy?module=HP_video

Miller wants to be a Cowboy.

Drek
04-28-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm not convinced a rush end who is 6'3", 245 and has to play weakside LB in a 4-3 defense is a smart option this high up.

1. Why do you think he has to play WOLB. He's got more than enough size and power to play at SOLB.

2. Using him much like Brian Orakpo was by Washington in 2010 seems to be a good fit. Someone on here used that comparison previously, and it is exceptionally apt. In the base defense he can be a traditional SOLB, though one who might draw more than a few extra blitzing assignments. But in the nickel/dime packages he moves up to DE and Ayers kicks in, letting us rush the passer. Or hell, as Rev mentioned previously we could use him in something akin to a 5-2, dropping to a 5-1 for nickel downs.

Fox and Allen are creative DCs. I'm sure if we take Miller its because they have plans for his very unique combination of skills, not because they want to jam a round peg in a square hole.

eddie mac
04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
This pick says to me, run outside against Denver, then again it says run inside as well cos these ****ers have Vickerson and 2 pass rush specialists.

eddie mac
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
1. Why do you think he has to play WOLB. He's got more than enough size and power to play at SOLB.

2. Using him much like Brian Orakpo was by Washington in 2010 seems to be a good fit. Someone on here used that comparison previously, and it is exceptionally apt. In the base defense he can be a traditional SOLB, though one who might draw more than a few extra blitzing assignments. But in the nickel/dime packages he moves up to DE and Ayers kicks in, letting us rush the passer. Or hell, as Rev mentioned previously we could use him in something akin to a 5-2, dropping to a 5-1 for nickel downs.

Fox and Allen are creative DCs. I'm sure if we take Miller its because they have plans for his very unique combination of skills, not because they want to jam a round peg in a square hole.

Maybe I'm wrong Drek but does Washington not run a 3-4 so presumably his role would be completely different as a SOLB in a 4-3 including covering a TE amongst other drop back responsibilities.

Inkana7
04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Maybe I'm wrong Drek but does Washington not run a 3-4 so presumably his role would be completely different as a SOLB in a 4-3 including covering a TE amongst other drop back responsibilities.

They played a 4-3 during Orakapo's rookie year.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Croel was drafted into the 3-4.

McDman
04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Why compare Croel to Miller though? I don't see it. Croel was a long time ago.

I was asking who he compares to. Someone on this board, can't remember who, keeps getting really upset when someone brings up the fact that he is a SAM. They get upset and say he'll play a joker role and different schemes, comparing him to Ware and pre-steroid Merriman, but he never mentions the fact that those players play in a 3-4. You can't move the LBers around in a 4-3 like you can in a 4-3.

So I asked who he compares to in a 4-3.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Glazer just said the Donks are taking Von.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-28-2011, 04:02 PM
He said that hours ago

mhgaffney
04-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Can't imagine why Elway would blow smoke -- with only Carolina in front of us.

Lestat
04-28-2011, 04:04 PM
i really want to drop down to 5 or so and pick up another 2nd but Miller might be too good to pass up.

backup qb
04-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Miller works for me. We need playmakers baby.

OrangeSe7en
04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I could deal with Miller. He would be a lot better than Peterson, assuming he can get the pressure that is projected and also I really hope they dont force him to be something he's not. If he should be a will, then move DJ to Mike. The #2 pick in the draft should be used in a way where he is maximized.

backup qb
04-28-2011, 04:26 PM
NFL radio was saying that one of Fox's strenghts is creating imaginative packages on D to utilize his players's strengths.