PDA

View Full Version : Texans would like to move up to No. 2 in a trade with Denver, 1, 3, 4 pick and Amobi Okoye

Bronco Rob
04-27-2011, 06:12 AM
If Carolina does trade receiver Steve Smith, Denver could be a legitimate target.

In a chat, Houston Chronicle's John McClain wrote that the Texans would like to move up to No. 2 in a trade with Denver and take Texas A&M linebacker Von Miller. The Broncos would listen to offers. McClain wrote that the Texans could offer their 1, 3, 4 pick and Amobi Okoye.

The Texans’ top pick is No. 11. I don’t think that package is enough and the NFL draft pick value chart backs that thought up. New Denver football leader John Elway and Houston coach Gary Kubiak are former teammates and are close friends. The Denver Post believes the fact that the lockout was lifted by a Minnesota court may have diminished Denver’s chances of a trading the No. 2 pick, which hasn’t been traded in 11 years, anyway.

If Carolina does trade receiver Steve Smith, Denver could be a legitimate target. New Denver coach John Fox came from Carolina and he and Smith had a good relationship. He’d probably reunite to get the veteran receiver. Meanwhile Fox, who clearly knows their needs, thinks the Panthers will take a quarterback at No. 1. He’d be happy with that. It would give Denver its choice of any defensive player on its board.

for the rest
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/26762/evening-afc-west-notes-65

Garcia Bronco
04-27-2011, 06:18 AM
If they bring that dip**** here I'll be disappointed.

WolfpackGuy
04-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Maybe 7 or 8 years ago!

But now?

Hell no!

DrFate
04-27-2011, 06:35 AM
I realize the guy talks a lot, but he'd be a significant upgrade over existing talent and give Tebow a real game-breaker

Rabb
04-27-2011, 06:41 AM
develop Decker, continue to use Lloyd's talents and get Royal back into the mix please, we don't need a head case here again

cmhargrove
04-27-2011, 06:53 AM
Why would Carolina be so stupid to trade away one of their only legitimate receiving threats - especially if they might be drafting a young, inexperienced QB?

Beantown Bronco
04-27-2011, 06:55 AM
I realize the guy talks a lot, but he'd be a significant upgrade over existing talent and give Tebow a real game-breaker

The dude is 32 yrs old and I'm not sure he's an upgrade over any of our top 3 WRs currently. Certainly not a significant enough one to merit the big money contract he's signed to (7 mil this year and 8 next). The guy fights with teammates constantly and has openly complained about playing in cold weather. Boy, that sounds like a great match for Denver.

Pass.

meangene
04-27-2011, 06:56 AM
These rumors are just silly. :giggle:

LRtagger
04-27-2011, 06:57 AM
Why would Carolina be so stupid to trade away one of their only legitimate receiving threats - especially if they might be drafting a young, inexperienced QB?

Because Smith wants to be traded - they may not have much of a choice.

Rabb
04-27-2011, 07:44 AM
if we are going to start taking Carolina players, at least make it DeAngelo Williams

now him, I would welcome

oubronco
04-27-2011, 07:46 AM
if we are going to start taking Carolina players, at least make it DeAngelo Williams

now him, I would welcome

Or Charles Johnson

Rabb
04-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Or Charles Johnson

oooohhhh yesssss

Kaylore
04-27-2011, 08:34 AM
This isn't news, it's hypothesis based on supposition. I promise you we won't get Smith. Xanders and Elway have talked about building through the draft. They aren't looking to trade away picks and Fox knows first hand what a 'tard Smith has been in Carolina. Does anyone really think bringing his baggage and aging body here is a recipe for success for any party involved but the Panthers?

Boomhauer
04-27-2011, 08:39 AM
These rumors are just silly. :giggle:

If Carolina wants to give us Smith to swap 1st Rnd picks, I'm down.

DrFate
04-27-2011, 08:44 AM
The dude is 32 yrs old and I'm not sure he's an upgrade over any of our top 3 WRs currently. Certainly not a significant enough one to merit the big money contract he's signed to (7 mil this year and 8 next). The guy fights with teammates constantly and has openly complained about playing in cold weather. Boy, that sounds like a great match for Denver.

Pass.

Yes, he's 32. WRs (look at TO) can play several years past that age.

Yes he fights with teammats and complains.

I'm not sure how he's not an 'upgrade over any of our top 3 WRs' - cause our top 3 ain't all that good.

Beantown Bronco
04-27-2011, 08:48 AM

DTs can play until they're 40. I can play that game too. What are the chances he'll be productive though?

I'm not sure how he's not an 'upgrade over any of our top 3 WRs' - cause our top 3 ain't all that good.

I guess that's your opinion, but Lloyd, Gaffney and Royal have all outperformed Smith recently with none of the headaches he brings AND for a lot less money.

2KBack
04-27-2011, 08:51 AM

Yes he fights with teammats and complains.

Just to contend, because their careers as a whole are not comparable, but Brandon Loyd's production last season was as good as Steve Smith's last 2 years COMBINED.

broncos-rock
04-27-2011, 08:58 AM
Remember this is coming from big burger williamson.

DrFate
04-27-2011, 09:02 AM
Just to contend, because their careers as a whole are not comparable, but Brandon Loyd's production last season was as good as Steve Smith's last 2 years COMBINED.

That's true - and Lloyd's production last year was nowhere close to Lloyd's production his previous 7 seasons. (Heck, Lloyd's production last season was as good as Lloyd's previous FOUR seasons combined)

Do you anticpate Lloyd's 2011 looking like Lloyd's 2010, or like Lloyd's 2003-2009?

I'm typically not a fan of brining in a malcontent, and I think that label fits Smith. But I also know he's a dynamic guy and I'm not expecting Lloyd to repeat his brilliant production from last year.

WolfpackGuy
04-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I just think with his age, injury history, attitude, and salary, he wouldn't be a good pickup.

I could see if the Broncos were one or two players away, but they need to rebuild with younger guys.

alkemical
04-27-2011, 09:20 AM

...and drafted one last year (QB).

DrFate
04-27-2011, 09:22 AM
I just think with his age, injury history, attitude, and salary, he wouldn't be a good pickup.

These are all valid points (as are the ones others have mentioned). I still would consider giving Tebow a true deep threat for the next copule of years, though.

I don't really expect Lloyd to repeat last year's bonanza, I doubt Thomas ever regains his form (sadly) and Royal/Gaffney are more slant guys.

2KBack
04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
That's true - and Lloyd's production last year was nowhere close to Lloyd's production his previous 7 seasons. (Heck, Lloyd's production last season was as good as Lloyd's previous FOUR seasons combined)

Do you anticpate Lloyd's 2011 looking like Lloyd's 2010, or like Lloyd's 2003-2009?

I'm typically not a fan of brining in a malcontent, and I think that label fits Smith. But I also know he's a dynamic guy and I'm not expecting Lloyd to repeat his brilliant production from last year.

It's hard to say if either player will revert to their recent past production. One thing you can say is that Loyd was better last season, was a ideal professional as he rode the bench in 2009, is 2 years younger....and much cheaper.

edit....okay that was more than one thing

serious hops
04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
What kind of junk analysis by Burger Bill is this? We're relatively deep at receiver even with Thomas missing time. That's the last position we need to add anyone. No way we're going to burn yet another valuable pick on a wide receiver-- particularly to rent an old one with declining skills and a big mouth for a couple of years. That's retarded. Not happening.

Mr. Elway
04-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Am I correct that this is one reporter reporting on the thoughts of another reporter?

listopencil
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Texans could offer their 1, 3, 4 pick and Amobi Okoye.

Do the Texans have a pick in the 2nd? What about 1,2,3 and Okoye?

listopencil
04-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Houston

2011 NFL Draft Selections (Before Draft Begins)

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="55">Round</td> <td valign="top" width="144">Selection</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">1</td> <td valign="top" width="144">11<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">2</td> <td valign="top" width="144">10<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">3</td> <td valign="top" width="144">9<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">4</td> <td valign="top" width="144">8<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">5</td> <td valign="top" width="144">7<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">6</td> <td valign="top" width="144">13<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">7</td> <td valign="top" width="144">12<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">7</td> <td valign="top" width="144">53<sup>rd</sup> (compensatory)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Grabbed this quickly from another site. What do you think? We give the #2 overall pick for Houston's 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Amobi Okoye?

Broncoman13
04-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Houston

2011 NFL Draft Selections (Before Draft Begins)

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="55">Round</td> <td valign="top" width="144">Selection</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">1</td> <td valign="top" width="144">11<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">2</td> <td valign="top" width="144">10<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">3</td> <td valign="top" width="144">9<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">4</td> <td valign="top" width="144">8<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">5</td> <td valign="top" width="144">7<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">6</td> <td valign="top" width="144">13<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">7</td> <td valign="top" width="144">12<sup>th</sup></td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" width="55">7</td> <td valign="top" width="144">53<sup>rd</sup> (compensatory)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Grabbed this quickly from another site. What do you think? We give the #2 overall pick for Houston's 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Amobi Okoye?

How about Houston's 1st and 2nd and next year's 1st and they can go ahead and keep Okoye.

listopencil
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
How about Houston's 1st and 2nd and next year's 1st and they can go ahead and keep Okoye.

Would work as well. I was thinking with a draft deep at the DT position this year it would benefit us to have more picks now, and Okoye could help fill our DT rotation while our draftees learn the ropes.

SureShot
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
How about the Texans **** right off until they give us offer we can't refuse.

serious hops
04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
How about the Texans **** right off until they give us offer we can't refuse.

You want them to hold Elway at gunpoint?

SureShot
04-27-2011, 01:29 PM

I don't think a horse head in his bed would scare him or his wife. ;D

Drek
04-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Houston would need to offer 1, 3, 4, Okoye, and their 2012 first for me to even get interested. But its obviously all bull**** because you still can't trade players and likely won't be able to until after the draft.

Now if they want to give us 1,3,4 this year and 1,2 next year with the handshake deal of trading their 2012 second back for Okoye once a new CBA is done then fine, but otherwise they can **** right off.

Bronco Rob
04-27-2011, 06:46 PM

:~ohyah!:

broncocalijohn
04-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Maybe 7 or 8 years ago!

But now?

Hell no!

Isnt he the same age as Lloyd or close to it? Was anything said of what we have to give up? If we stockpile some pics from moving back a few, would a 3rd round (plus) be worth it?

BroncoInferno
04-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Isnt he the same age as Lloyd or close to it? Was anything said of what we have to give up? If we stockpile some pics from moving back a few, would a 3rd round (plus) be worth it?

Veteran receivers are almost always a poor investment. Pass.

WolfpackGuy
04-27-2011, 07:29 PM

I think Lloyd is at least a couple years younger, and he has a lot less miles on his odometer since he never really had a starting role until last year.

No mention of what it would take to make a deal, but Smith would have to take a serious paycut since he's owed almost 15 million over the next two years.

The Broncos just need to build from within and go with young guys.

FireFly
04-27-2011, 07:46 PM
IMO we're going to pick 2nd overall.

I don't think we're going to get any offers that are even close to the money.