PDA

View Full Version : DPost

MABroncoFan
04-24-2011, 07:30 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17916983

I don't understand this ... a list of players the Broncos shouldn't draft??

tsiguy96
04-24-2011, 07:35 AM
funny, in the 32 writer league mock draft, klis had denver picking miller.

i dont get it. denver shouldnt draft any of the top 4 defensive players...

BowlenBall
04-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Bizarre article, on so many levels.

"Here, then, is a list that can only be created by someone who covered every minute of the Broncos' 4-12 season last year, who has worked with three head coaches in three years and who has not written a playoff game story featuring the hometown team in five years."

What does the above paragraph even mean, anyway?

What does his being a beat reporter for the Broncos have to do with evaluating talent for the draft?

And why is he emphasizing how much the team he covers sucks? Doesn't he realize that 99.9% of his readers are FANS of the same team? It's one thing to be critical of the home team, but I don't even talk that much smack about the Raiders, for God's sake.

And now that he's eliminated the top four defensive players on EVERYONE'S board, then what, exactly, does he recommend that the Broncos do? He doesn't say.....

Time for some new blood at the Post, methinks....

CEH
04-24-2011, 08:12 AM
funny, in the 32 writer league mock draft, klis had denver picking miller.

i dont get it. denver shouldnt draft any of the top 4 defensive players...

Kils filp flops more than you do. Read Legwold if you want to know what a real footall writer with connections in the league thinks will happen

Legwold will have Peterson as his #1 ranked player. But that will not guarentee Denver selects him

Boobs McGee
04-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Absolute garbage once again, post.

Cito Pelon
04-24-2011, 08:59 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17916983

I don't understand this ... a list of players the Broncos shouldn't draft??

From the comments on that article - "is the editor off this week?"

Agreed, that article should never have made it to print. The only redeeming factor is it had proper grammar.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-24-2011, 09:26 AM
What a ****ing terrible trade, just a 2nd round pick to move down to the 7th spot?

Yeah Mike, let's hope the Broncos get bent over in a trade and trade down to a spot that doesn't guaranteed one of the top defensive talents.

You'd figure someone that covers the team 24 hours a day, been through 3 coaches in 3 seasons, blah, blah, blah, would at least have some sense of what the 2nd overall is worth, especially if someone is moving up for a QB.

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2011, 09:27 AM
I wasn't aware that the Denver Post was still in business.

mkporter
04-24-2011, 09:28 AM
I actually think that Burger Bill coming back would be an improvement for the Post. We must have spent all of our good sportswriter karma on Schefter. Too bad he had ambition.

driver
04-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Negative phsycology, maybe??

baja
04-24-2011, 10:33 AM

I can still sign into the back door of the DPO. That's where we plan our bank heists. ;D

baja
04-24-2011, 10:35 AM

Hey Garcia once again I'm traveling on draft day. This time it's just a short flight so I'll catch most of it, thing is with Denver drafting at #2 I might miss that..

Hamrob
04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Bizarre article, on so many levels.

"Here, then, is a list that can only be created by someone who covered every minute of the Broncos' 4-12 season last year, who has worked with three head coaches in three years and who has not written a playoff game story featuring the hometown team in five years."

What does the above paragraph even mean, anyway?

What does his being a beat reporter for the Broncos have to do with evaluating talent for the draft?

And why is he emphasizing how much the team he covers sucks? Doesn't he realize that 99.9% of his readers are FANS of the same team? It's one thing to be critical of the home team, but I don't even talk that much smack about the Raiders, for God's sake.

And now that he's eliminated the top four defensive players on EVERYONE'S board, then what, exactly, does he recommend that the Broncos do? He doesn't say.....

Time for some new blood at the Post, methinks....I think if you go back and read it...he does say what he thinks they should do:

1. Not draft Dareus
2. Trade back to #7 with San Fran and pick up their 2nd rounder (#45). Then at #7 pick Fairley.
3. If they stay at #2, pick Miller or Fairley...who are the most dynamic players at positions of need for Denver (In his opinion).

For the record, I would trade back to #7 from #2 for the #45 pick. Yes, it's not value on the chart. But here's what you may get:

1. The cost is significantly less
2. Peterson and Fairley will both probably be there.

By doing this, we could end up with the following:

1. The #45 pick
2. Patrick Peterson (who the 49ers will probably end up with at 7), and;
3. A more realistic expense for a top pick

The only way you wouldn't do this....is if you really feel that Dareus and/or Miller are perennial pro bowl players and a clear step about Peterson/Fairley.

I don't! Take the #45 pick. Rahim Moore, Ben IJalana, Mikel Leshoure, and Stephen Paea could all be there at 45.

Great value and smart...when you have as many holes as we do.

baja
04-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I think if you go back and read it...he does say what he thinks they should do:

1. Not draft Dareus
2. Trade back to #7 with San Fran and pick up their 2nd rounder (#45). Then at #7 pick Fairley.
3. If they stay at #2, pick Miller or Fairley...who are the most dynamic players at positions of need for Denver (In his opinion).

For the record, I would trade back to #7 from #2 for the #45 pick. Yes, it's not value on the chart. But here's what you may get:

1. The cost is significantly less
2. Peterson and Fairley will both probably be there.

By doing this, we could end up with the following:

1. The #45 pick
2. Patrick Peterson (who the 49ers will probably end up with at 7), and;
3. A more realistic expense for a top pick

The only way you wouldn't do this....is if you really feel that Dareus and/or Miller are perennial pro bowl players and a clear step about Peterson/Fairley.

I don't! Take the #45 pick. Rahim Moore, Ben IJalana, Mikel Leshoure, and Stephen Paea could all be there at 45.

Great value and smart...when you have as many holes as we do.

I agree with you. But maybe we could coax a mid round pick next year out of SF, I would sure sure try and run the bluff at least than settle for the trade you mention if they don't go for it.

gunns
04-24-2011, 10:57 AM
He says don't draft Miller or Fairley, gives reasons why, then says trade to #7 and pick either Miller or Fairley. At first I thought well maybe he's just saying don't make the picks at #2 but then read the reasons for not drafting them. What makes them any better at 7 that at 2? That was a schizophrenic article.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Cost is not going to be an issue with the new CBA, and no chance Peterson falls to 7. He's the best player in the draft, someone will take him in the Top 5.

OrangeSe7en
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
It's Klis. Enough said.

KipCorrington25
04-24-2011, 02:05 PM
This is the writer that said, in print mind you, that he hoped the lockout lasted through training camp because he doesn't like covering it because it's boring.

Hamrob
04-24-2011, 02:47 PM
He says don't draft Miller or Fairley, gives reasons why, then says trade to #7 and pick either Miller or Fairley. At first I thought well maybe he's just saying don't make the picks at #2 but then read the reasons for not drafting them. What makes them any better at 7 that at 2? That was a schizophrenic article.No, he doesn't.

He says trade to 7 and pick Peterson or Fairley (there). Then he says, if they stay at 2, they should pick Miller or Fairley.

Hamrob
04-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Cost is not going to be an issue with the new CBA, and no chance Peterson falls to 7. He's the best player in the draft, someone will take him in the Top 5.Cost is going to be an issue...most likely, the players will want to start the rookie cap next year...because of guys like Miller who have helped them.

Hamrob
04-24-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree with you. But maybe we could coax a mid round pick next year out of SF, I would sure sure try and run the bluff at least than settle for the trade you mention if they don't go for it.Oh, I agree...I'd love to get a 2 and a 3 our of the deal...maybe more. But, I'd take the 7 pick and #45 for 2 if that was the best I could get.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Cost is going to be an issue...most likely, the players will want to start the rookie cap next year...because of guys like Miller who have helped them.

It'll start this year. A rookie wage scale wasn't a disputed issue between the sides before the lockout.

baja
04-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Ya me too Hamrod.

Peterson at 7 would be awesome but unlikely

CEH
04-25-2011, 07:36 AM
Kils filp flops more than you do. Read Legwold if you want to know what a real footall writer with connections in the league thinks will happen

Legwold will have Peterson as his #1 ranked player . But that will not guarentee Denver selects him

Legwold' top 100

1. Patrick Peterson

Elite defender, elite returner and next-level skills put him at the top of the board.

2. Von Miller

LB, Texas A&M, 6-3, 246

Led nation in sacks in 2009 with 17, had 27 1/2 sacks over past two sea-

sons.

3. A.J. Green

WR, Georgia, 6-4, 211

Junior had three seasons with at least 50 catches and knows how to get the ball in a crowd.

4. Marcell Dareus

DT, Alabama, 6-3, 319

A Nick Saban-coached interior lineman who plays multiple spots in multiple schemes.

5. Blaine Gabbert

QB, Missouri, 6-4 1/2, 243

His 16 touchdown passes in 2010 worth a pause, but he has the skills for more.

6. Nick Fairley

DT, Auburn, 6-4, 291

He is disruptive (his 11 1/2 sacks led DTs in 2010), but many wonder about consistent effort.

7. Prince Amukamara

CB, Nebraska, 6-0, 206

Surrendered only 18 completions this past season and earned his degree in seven semesters.

8. Julio Jones

WR, Alabama, 6-3, 220

Fractured foot doesn't concern many, especially because he ran a 4.38 40 at the combine.

9. Cameron Jordan

DE, California, 6-4, 287

Has moved up the board since the end of the season; played 50 games in career.

10. Nate Solder

OT, Colorado, 6-8, 319

Most won't have him as the top tackle, but his flexibility and athleticism make him the best long-term prospect.

11. Tyron Smith

OT, USC, 6-5, 307

Has a huge reach and plenty of upside. Started two years at right tackle, but is prospect at left tackle.

12. Ryan Kerrigan

DE, Purdue, 6-4, 267

A fierce competitor who is tough to block; set Big Ten record with 14 forced fumbles.

13. Robert Quinn

DE, North Carolina, 6-4, 265

Explosive player who broke Julius Peppers' 40-yard dash record for defensive linemen at the school.

14. J.J. Watt

DE, Wisconsin, 6-5, 290

A Central Michigan transfer who had 21 tackles for loss in 2010 and blocked three kicks.

15. Mark Ingram

RB, Alabama, 5-9, 215

Elusive in traffic and will contribute immediately.

16. Cam Newton

QB, Auburn, 6-5, 248

Could be first pick of the draft, but ranked here because of questions about accuracy and inexperience.

17. Aldon Smith

DE, Missouri, 6-4 1/2, 263

Played in only 23 games in college career but had 17 sacks.

18. Anthony Castonzo

OT, Boston College, 6-7, 311

Some teams have him at the top of the position group, and history says his 54 starts mean a long NFL career.

19. Muhammad Wilkerson

DT, Temple, 6-4, 315

Raw, with plenty of rough edges, but had 70 tackles in 2010 from his inside spot, including 13 for loss.

20. Phil Taylor

DT, Baylor, 6-3, 334

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_17916463

How to build a team . Elway said QB, LT , DE or CB Elway told Legwold at combine

Cito Pelon
04-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Oh, I agree...I'd love to get a 2 and a 3 our of the deal...maybe more. But, I'd take the 7 pick and #45 for 2 if that was the best I could get.

If there is indeed no rookie salary cap, then yes, probably the only way to get someone to trade up for the #2 is to make it very cheap to do so.

I very seriously doubt Peterson will be available at #7.

baja
04-25-2011, 09:13 AM
If Peterson is available and we don't take him he will become our new "We could'a had Ed Reed" guy

oubronco
04-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Anyone who has a great career will be that way

randomtask
04-25-2011, 09:37 AM
So the Broncos, who were the worst defensive team last year, should avoid drafting any of the top 4 defensive prospects?

2KBack
04-25-2011, 10:47 AM
If Peterson is available and we don't take him he will become our new "We could'a had Ed Reed" guy

Well...with the second pick in the draft there's gonna be like 200 guys to scream about if they pan out and Denver's choice doesn't. The only player Denver won't have had a chance to draft will be the #1 guy.

Rabb
04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
this place is going to be more divided after this draft than it was with the Cutler debacle

baja
04-25-2011, 10:55 AM
I think Elway / Fox will have a good draft

Rabb
04-25-2011, 11:28 AM
I agree baja

ZONA
04-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Cost is not going to be an issue with the new CBA, and no chance Peterson falls to 7. He's the best player in the draft, someone will take him in the Top 5.

Arizona would definitely not let Peterson get past them at #5, even if Miller is still there.

Garcia Bronco
04-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey Garcia once again I'm traveling on draft day. This time it's just a short flight so I'll catch most of it, thing is with Denver drafting at #2 I might miss that..

I can send you an update if you wish. Just PM me where you want it sent

baja
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
I can send you an update if you wish. Just PM me where you want it sent

Thanks - check your rep.