PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Fairley Interview

meangene
04-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Fairley: ‘My best years are ahead’

Frank Tadych | Tags: Nick Fairley, 2011 NFL Draft, Auburn Tigers

When it comes to the downside of the draft process — when his work ethic, consistency and character are questioned at seemingly every turn — Auburn DT Nick Fairley does his best to ignore it.

His best, which he describes as “in one ear and out the other,” is an effort to keep it all from becoming too stressful. But that’s not always possible. So when it does get to him, Fairley takes it personally.

Then he uses it as fuel for the fire.

“As far as that’s concerned, when that comes out, it just motivates me more to work harder, to prove to whoever is out there saying that (they’re wrong),” Fairley said during Thursday’s visit to NFL Network. ”I can’t wait to get into the NFL and get started to prove it to all those people who said I’m a one-hit wonder, or that my work ethic is under question, or that I have character issues. … I’m ready to prove them wrong and let them know Nick Fairley is here. I’m ready to work.”

There’s real sincerity in Fairley when he says he doesn’t care where he goes in the draft, he’s just trying to enjoy the experience. He certainly doesn’t shy away when asked if he’s the best available defensive tackle — “Hands down,” he says — and when NFL teams have asked these same questions about these same issues, he has an answer.

“My best years, I feel like, are ahead of me playing football,” Fairley said. ”I’m just really ready and determined to take my game to another level in the NFL, to a level where I’m not just a good player, I’m a great player. As far as my work ethic is concerned, I leave it all on the field throughout the week. I practice hard.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the interview at: http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/04/21/fairley-my-best-years-are-ahead/?module=HP_headlines

What I found most interesting was the interview on Path to the Draft where it came out that he has sleep apnea which was fairly recently diagnosed. Seems he now sleeps with an apnea machine. This might explain some of the rap on him for falling asleep in meetings, etc., or, even, his "taking plays off".

cmhargrove
04-22-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't know why in my mind, I keep picturing Fairley as the perfect Tennessee Titan at pick #8.

He is perfect for that defense, and perfect for that team. They might also be able to coax the most out of him and make everyone else regret not drafting him.

meangene
04-22-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't know why in my mind, I keep picturing Fairley as the perfect Tennessee Titan at pick #8.

He is perfect for that defense, and perfect for that team. They might also be able to coax the most out of him and make everyone else regret not drafting him.

That's where I see him projected the most. Don't they have his old D-line coach also? I'm beginning to feel like he could be our target if we trade back, though.

bronco0608
04-22-2011, 11:33 AM
From what I have read in some books, there are tons of great players who hated meetings/did not pay attention and still went on to have great careers.

Charles Haley -- use to jerk off in meetings

Shannon Sharpe -- never paid attention

John Riggins -- would come in drunk and once pissed everywhere

And I'm sure the list goes on and on. Fairley to me brings an attitude to a defense. He makes plays when it counts. Who cares what he does in meetings.

Broncoman13
04-22-2011, 12:19 PM
From what I have read in some books, there are tons of great players who hated meetings/did not pay attention and still went on to have great careers.

Charles Haley -- use to jerk off in meetings

Shannon Sharpe -- never paid attention

John Riggins -- would come in drunk and once pissed everywhere

And I'm sure the list goes on and on. Fairley to me brings an attitude to a defense. He makes plays when it counts. Who cares what he does in meetings.

Unfortunately at the pro level it takes all players playing within their roles. One blown responsibility can make 10 other players look lost. Happened a lot to Champ Bailey a couple years ago. He was too good of a teammate to lay blame on someone else, but someone else's mistakes exposed him a lot.

So I care if he pays attention during meetings.

I do hope the Broncos draft him. I think he has much more play making ability than Dareus. But I recognize that he has a lot of question marks and a lower floor than Dareus. Dareus is the safer pick, Fairley has the star potential.

Old Dude
04-22-2011, 12:28 PM

About two months ago, Tennessee hired Tracey Rocker (from Auburn) as their defensive line coach.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/coaches/Rocker_Tracy/7c71644a-0d14-43a5-a604-2d992f6bafdc

One of the biggest points on Rocker's resume was the way he developed Fairley into a Lombardi award winner.

That's just one of many reasons why so very few mock drafts have Fairley getting past the Titans.

razorwire77
04-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I know all players have the potential to bust, Fairley screams Boon or Bust to me. He's not going to have a nice solid career for 9 years and retire. The guy is either going to become a nasty, elite defensive lineman (exactly what this team needs) or he's going to be problem after problem until he washes out of the league in 3 years. At 8 or 9, I think you take him. At 2 or 3, it just seems like too much of a risk for a team with as many holes as Denver has.

meangene
04-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately at the pro level it takes all players playing within their roles. One blown responsibility can make 10 other players look lost. Happened a lot to Champ Bailey a couple years ago. He was too good of a teammate to lay blame on someone else, but someone else's mistakes exposed him a lot.

So I care if he pays attention during meetings.

I do hope the Broncos draft him. I think he has much more play making ability than Dareus. But I recognize that he has a lot of question marks and a lower floor than Dareus. Dareus is the safer pick, Fairley has the star potential.

Yeah, I care about the off-field stuff too. That's what I found interesting about the interview. There has been a lot of stuff out there about him missing interviews, sleeping in meetings, taking plays off, etc. He indicated that he did not miss any interviews, flights, etc. And, if he had undetected sleep apnea, that could certainly account for some of the perceptions regarding his work habits. Anyway, I felt better about him after watching the interviews on Path to the Draft and Total Access. Casserly was the one who asked him about the sleep apnea so he must have heard it from one of the teams.

*WARHORSE*
04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
If we pick at 2, Fairley will be the selection. Not Dareus.

Guaranteed by WARHORSE Scouting.

OR......you can go watch Xanders gush about him in the Xanders/Elway interview on Broncos.com.

And the truth is, what Xanders said is correct.

Hes been very, very productive once he got on the field.

Watch his feet, the guy has better feet than Clady.

And he still has a ton of room to add muscle.

Unfortunately, the guy who he looks like is Haynesworth....but Fairleys athleticism is better than Alberts, and once he adds some strength....look out NFL.

TheReverend
04-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Really like Fairley for Fox and Allen's D

Rohirrim
04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Happens every draft. Some guy gets trashed for weeks and is suddenly rehabilitated a week before the draft when the insider info leaks out. Fairley has been #1 on my list for the Broncos all along. Still is.

DomCasual
04-22-2011, 02:33 PM
This whole thing is Fairley interesting.

Rohirrim
04-22-2011, 02:40 PM
This whole thing is Fairley interesting.

:slapsilly

DomCasual
04-22-2011, 02:45 PM
:slapsilly

You saw what I did there, then?

Chris
04-22-2011, 03:10 PM
SAWACHUDIDDENDERRE.

ozomulsion
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
You saw what I did there, then?

It's what you've been doing on the Mane for the last 7 years.

Good. solid comic relief :)

Jay3
04-22-2011, 05:35 PM
If Dareus is gone, I say take Fairley.

TheReverend
04-22-2011, 06:57 PM
It's what you've been doing on the Mane for the last 7 years.

Good. solid comic relief :)

WHOA out of hiding

AZorange1
04-22-2011, 07:29 PM
If Fairley goes to Denver he will need his C-PAP the rest of his life at that altitude. I needed one for the same reason and ended up moving down to Phoenix where I no longer need it. They say you get used to it but for me after 7 months if still felt like having a wet, dead animal strapped to my face every night. (don't ask how I know that)

pricejj
04-22-2011, 10:14 PM
The great thing about Fairley (other than his play on the field), is I have never heard him say anything bad about anybody. Check out this interview of him with Josina Anderson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgXg9o9NLJ0

If people were talking crap like that about me, I would be saying stuff back.
For him to be that positive shows a lot about his character.

Just a couple of month's ago he was THE frontrunner for #1 overall.

Looks like it may be Fairley or Miller.

:)

meangene
04-23-2011, 02:50 AM
If Fairley goes to Denver he will need his C-PAP the rest of his life at that altitude. I needed one for the same reason and ended up moving down to Phoenix where I no longer need it. They say you get used to it but for me after 7 months if still felt like having a wet, dead animal strapped to my face every night. (don't ask how I know that)

From the interview on Path to the Draft, he is using it every night now.