PDA

View Full Version : In one week, with the #2 pick, the Broncos will...

montrose
04-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Not what you want, what you think will happen.

TheReverend
04-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Gonna guess the thread title will be predicting the #2 pick.

Going with Marcell Dareus

montrose
04-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Gonna guess the thread title will be predicting the #2 pick.

Going with Marcell Dareus

After Elway's comment yesterday on the season ticket holder conference call that he believes the lockout puts extra emphasis on taking the best player and not reaching for need - and considering he gushed over this guy far more than any other player - I think the Broncos take the best player on the board and in the entire draft... Patrick Peterson

chadta
04-21-2011, 06:35 PM
wheres the make a pick that pisses off most of the OM option ?

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Trade down to 5 and select Miller.

montrose
04-21-2011, 06:42 PM
wheres the make a pick that pisses off most of the OM option ?

"Draft Newton"

Dr. Broncenstein
04-21-2011, 06:44 PM
"Draft Newton"

There would be lulz on a grand scale.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Think they'll take Dareus

Would prefer a trade down to #5 and take whoever remains of Dareus, Peterson, or Miller

Would be fine if they took Peterson at #2 also

Taco John
04-21-2011, 06:47 PM
I think they will draft Fairley. He's no chior boy, but neither was Warren Sapp. But Warren Sapp/Niel Smith is exactly the kind of player I think we'll be getting with him. I don't think the FO will be able to pass on the opportunity to pair him up with Elvis.

HILife
04-21-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking a trade down.

srphoenix
04-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Think they'll take Dareus

Would prefer a trade down to #5 and take whoever remains of Dareus, Peterson, or Miller

Would be fine if they took Peterson at #2 also

I agree completely, just don't think anyone is going to be that hot for the QB's in this draft to pay the ransom to move up and Dareus is definitely number 2 overall caliber. It'll be nice to have something to watch for on the Dline again.

TheReverend
04-21-2011, 07:02 PM
After Elway's comment yesterday on the season ticket holder conference call that he believes the lockout puts extra emphasis on taking the best player and not reaching for need - and considering he gushed over this guy far more than any other player - I think the Broncos take the best player on the board and in the entire draft... Patrick Peterson

I'd have erection larger than any in my life time that would last the entire lock out, but I still THINK they'll go with Dareus.

OrangeSe7en
04-21-2011, 07:18 PM
Trade down to 5 and select Miller.

Why would they do that?

oubronco
04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
It will be one of those Wtf moments and they take Fairley

The Moops
04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
More than any other position, Denver needs someone who can clog the middle and stop the run...

Durango
04-21-2011, 08:05 PM
I get the feeling Denver would prefer Miller over anyone, but will select Dareus if they remain at the #2 selection.

Broncoman13
04-21-2011, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't[ mind Fairley at all. I think there some question marks there and would prefer a trade down obviously... But I think his ceiling as well as Miller and Peterson are higher than Dareus'. Peterson has the same high floor as Dareus.

Safest pick, Marcel Dareus or Patrick Peterson.

Highest risk/Reward pick... Nick Fairley.

Somewhere inbetween, Von Miller.

I think they will draft Fairley. He's no chior boy, but neither was Warren Sapp. But Warren Sapp/Niel Smith is exactly the kind of player I think we'll be getting with him. I don't think the FO will be able to pass on the opportunity to pair him up with Elvis.

baja
04-21-2011, 08:18 PM
I said Peterson but my big hope is to trade down a couple of spots and still get Peterson

tsiguy96
04-21-2011, 08:20 PM
its either dareus or miller, i wonder if them being odd about talking about him is them trying not to give anything away. but dareus is the smart answer, given hes not taken #1.

Broncoman13
04-21-2011, 08:23 PM
its either dareus or miller, i wonder if them being odd about talking about him is them trying not to give anything away. but dareus is the smart answer, given hes not taken #1.

Huh?

tsiguy96
04-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Huh?

yea that doesnt make much sense.

in their presser and stuff, they immediately started questioning how miller could fit into the team, saying there is question marks there (which i guess there kinda is). just wonder if they are trying to downplay interest, because a lot of reports came out saying denver is very interested in him.

NFLBRONCO
04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
This is why Miller is my last fav option. I think he is better 3-4 guy. If we draft him I'll hope we are creative using him.

tsiguy96
04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
This is why Miller is my last fav option. I think he is better 3-4 guy. If we draft him I'll hope we are creative using him.

absolutely, i would more question the use of LBs as pressure guys in fox' system, im not sure how much he uses them. miller would be a beast though hes fast enough to cover anyone, obviously bring pressure on the QB as well as wrap up and not wiff on tackles. no doubt he can succeed in a 4-3, but they have to be extremely smart using him.

Hamrob
04-21-2011, 08:45 PM
If we stay at #2, it's Dareus...no question. If we have a chance to trade out...then, it could be Peterson, Miller or Fairley.

Here's the deal.

If someone trades up from 5-8...the cost (by the value chart) would be a 2 and a 3. If I were Elway (big wish)...I'd settle for moving down for a 2. That would be a value trade for those wanting to move up to get either Gabbert, Dareus or Peterson.

The thing is. We like:

Dareus
Miller
Peterson, and;
Fairley

Considering the 2 QB's will be taken in the top 8...even if we drop down that far, we have a chance for one of our guys. If we drop to 4 or 5, there's no question. But, even at 8, I'd gamble it. I still think we'll get one of our top 5 at 8...and our list of top 5, have little separation.

would they do that for an extra 2?

I would!

The Joker
04-21-2011, 09:13 PM
I'd have erection larger than any in my life time that would last the entire lock out, but I still THINK they'll go with Dareus.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/Smileys/Lots_O_Smileys/pedro_small.gif

Rev if we draft Peterson.

I very much expect that what they want to do is move down to #5 or #7 and take Fairley, Peterson, Miller or Dareus. One will still be on the board, and I'd be delighted with any of them.

That's not going to be easy though, and more likely than not we'll end up selecting at #2. I've a feeling Miller would be the pick there, in that case.

bpc
04-21-2011, 09:23 PM

We're on the same page. Ever since i've seen Fox as DC or HC at Carolina, he's relied heavily on his front four to rush the passer while his back seven sit in a zone. Since there is no clear cut DE on this list, I think he goes with the most dynamic pass rusher on the board, which is Nick Fairley, no doubt about it.

I like Peterson, I like Dareus. Personally, I prefer to trade back. I think we take Fairley though.

~Crash~
04-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Draft Fairley... I would love this but in a trade down

IHaveALight
04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
This is what needs to happen on draft day...

1. Carolina drafts Cam Newton #1.

2. Redskins and Cardinals try to trade up to #2 to get Gabbert.

3. Broncos call Bills, tell them deals in place for a team to draft Gabbert.

4. Bills trade 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks for Broncos 1st round pick

5. Bills draft Gabbert #2.

6. Broncos draft Miller #3

7. Broncos use both 2nd round pics on DT.

Shananahan
04-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Where is everybody getting these feelings which tell them that Denver will be taking Miller? He makes less sense than the top DL prospects and would be playing a semi-new position in which his main strength wouldn't be fully utilized, but everybody just seems to have a feeling he's the favorite and who we'll be picking. I don't get it.

Doggcow
04-21-2011, 10:55 PM
WANT: Peterson, or Trade Down

But I expect us to take Darius if he's there.

HAT
04-21-2011, 10:55 PM
IF, Denver ends up standing pat & drafting #2......I can pretty much guarantee y'all that it will not be DT.

schaaf
04-21-2011, 11:45 PM
I believe If we can't get out of number 2, its between Miller and Peterson.

I get the gut feeling that Miller is who they want most.

OBF1
04-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I think it will be Fairly.

tsiguy96
04-22-2011, 05:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTExZVn02xs&feature=youtu.be

josina actually posted this...its interesting for sure.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2011, 05:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTExZVn02xs&feature=youtu.be

josina actually posted this...its interesting for sure.

Can't watch at work....what does she say?

ol#7
04-22-2011, 05:59 AM
I think if we stay put it will be Dareus but I also thing the FO has no intention of staying put.

tsiguy96
04-22-2011, 06:32 AM
Can't watch at work....what does she say?

just a video that shows fox/xanders talking about the prospects and some of the body langauge associated with it. they reallllly perk up when talking about peterson. lot of good things to say about dareus in terms of physical ability, and with miller you could tell elway had a million things he wanted to say, just wreaks of physical and playmaking ability.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2011, 06:40 AM
just a video that shows fox/xanders talking about the prospects and some of the body langauge associated with it. they reallllly perk up when talking about peterson. lot of good things to say about dareus in terms of physical ability, and with miller you could tell elway had a million things he wanted to say, just wreaks of physical and playmaking ability.

Yeah, I really think Peterson or Miller will be the pick. Both are the closest to "can't miss superstar" as there is in the draft, and I think Elway will want to go with a sure bet rather than gambling that Dareus can be a more productive pro than he was collegian or that Fairley's character issues are overblown.

tsiguy96
04-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Yeah, I really think Peterson or Miller will be the pick. Both are the closest to "can't miss superstar" as there is in the draft, and I think Elway will want to go with a sure bet rather than gambling that Dareus can be a more productive pro than he was collegian or that Fairley's character issues are overblown.

im a miller fan, when he was talking about miller he said you dont even need his name or number to know who it is on the field, its the guy making plays. with peterson he started laughing, saying theyve met him multiple times and talking about his ability as well. i HOPE dareus goes #1 leaving us with miller :thanku:

this was just posted on roto:
Bills regional scout Shawn Heinlen calls Texas A&M OLB Von Miller and a "freak" and similar to Hall of Famer Bruce Smith "in a smaller package."
"His explosion and ability to change direction is very rare," said Heinlen. "In the 10 years I've been doing this I haven't seen anybody at that position change direction and have the explosion that he has." The Bills are expected to pull the trigger on Miller at No. 3 overall if Cam Newton and Marcell Dareus are off the board.

Drek
04-22-2011, 07:07 AM

How was Dareus unproductive in college? He played in a 3-4 front where he rotated between DE and NT. His job wasn't to make tackles or rack up sacks, his job was to blow two OLs back off the LOS opening holes for the guys behind him to make plays. If you watch the guy play thats exactly what he does every down.

He's Albert Haynesworth but he's not a massive dick of a human being. You put him in the middle of a 4-3 with a pass rushing under tackle and some DEs who can make **** happen and watch him dominate the center and his guard while the other three guys get to play one on one all day every day.

Taco John
04-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Know how I know that we won't be drafting Dareus?

baja
04-22-2011, 07:47 AM
because Carolina will?

Taco John
04-22-2011, 07:52 AM
because Carolina will?

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=97831

Old Dude
04-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Know how I know that we won't be drafting Dareus?

Because he'd be a perfect fit?

Actually, I fully expect the Broncos to try like hell to trade out of the #2 spot to get down in the 5 to 8 range where they could take Fairley or Peterson, and pick up at least second-rounder to boot, but I doubt they will be able to pull it off.

If they stay stuck at #2 they will most likely take Dareus.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2011, 07:54 AM
How was Dareus unproductive in college? He played in a 3-4 front where he rotated between DE and NT. His job wasn't to make tackles or rack up sacks, his job was to blow two OLs back off the LOS opening holes for the guys behind him to make plays. If you watch the guy play thats exactly what he does every down.

He's Albert Haynesworth but he's not a massive dick of a human being. You put him in the middle of a 4-3 with a pass rushing under tackle and some DEs who can make **** happen and watch him dominate the center and his guard while the other three guys get to play one on one all day every day.

Sorry, his production was NOT what you look for out of a top 5 pick, even if you take into account he played in a 3-4. That's just a fact. He was never even a 1st team all-conference in college. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying the production wasn't solid or that he did not dominate at times, but he did not do it on a consistent, game-to-game basis. Part of that MAY have had to do with nagging leg injury he had last season, but that doesn't mitigate the concern because DTs take so much abuse, it isn't a good sign that he was already being slowed down by injury at the college level. Also, people are simply projecting when they say he can play the 3 tech. He's never done it before, so we don't know what he'll look like at that spot. If we are going DT, Fairley is the best 3 tech, period. The character stuff is entirely overblown, with little of substance to support it.

DrFate
04-22-2011, 07:55 AM
The character stuff is entirely overblown, with little of substance to support it.

What about the one-year-wonder stuff? Or the taking plays off stuff?

Just sweep that under the same rug?

Drek
04-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Sorry, his production was NOT what you look for out of a top 5 pick, even if you take into account he played in a 3-4. That's just a fact. He was never even a 1st team all-conference in college. Don't get me wrong...I'm not saying the production wasn't solid or that he did not dominate at times, but he did not do it on a consistent, game-to-game basis. Part of that MAY have had to do with nagging leg injury he had last season, but that doesn't mitigate the concern because DTs take so much abuse, it isn't a good sign that he was already being slowed down by injury at the college level. Also, people are simply projecting when they say he can play the 3 tech. He's never done it before, so we don't know what he'll look like at that spot. If we are going DT, Fairley is the best 3 tech, period. The character stuff is entirely overblown, with little of substance to support it.
So when Albert Haynesworth offered the same services defensively and was already known to be a horrible human being he received the biggest contract for a defensive player of all time. But that service is not worth a top 5 pick?

Dareus was an impact player game after game in college, suspension, leg injury, etc.. When he was on the field the opposition watched at least one of their linemen, typically two or three, get dominated and driven back into the pocket.

He's worth a top 5 pick if you can put the horses next to him that take advantage of his push. We have at least one already with Doom.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2011, 08:02 AM
What about the one-year-wonder stuff? Or the taking plays off stuff?

Just sweep that under the same rug?

One year wonder stuff, I definitely brush off. He was only a junior! Clay Matthews was a "one year wonder" too. And where is the evidence he takes off plays? That isn't something you can quantify, you are just trusting the rumours floating around. Where's the evidence, though? Are you going to sweep under the rug the fact that Fairley had more sacks, more solo tackles, and more tackles for loss last season than Dareus managed over the last two seasons COMBINED?

DrFate
04-22-2011, 08:07 AM
One year wonder stuff, I definitely brush off. He was only a junior! Clay Matthews was a "one year wonder" too. And where is the evidence he takes off plays? That isn't something you can quantify, you are just trusting the rumours floating around. Where's the evidence, though? Are you going to sweep under the rug the fact that Fairley had more sacks, more solo tackles, and more tackles for loss last season than Dareus managed over the last two seasons COMBINED?

I simply can't support taking a guy who played 1 year at a community college, one year at Auburn as essentially a non-factor, then had a good season in the spotlight.

Per Wikipedia: Fairley transferred to Auburn University in 2009. He finished the season with two starts in 13 games and recorded 28 tackles. In 2010, he became the 2nd player from Auburn to win the Lombardi Award. He was coached by Lombardi winner and former Auburn player Tracy Rocker, and became the first player to win the Lombardi and be coached by a winner of the award.

I don't want Hayneworth Jr. at this cost - if they trade down and take him, maybe. There is too much chatter about his character - you can easily find the articles on the web.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2011, 08:08 AM
So when Albert Haynesworth offered the same services defensively and was already known to be a horrible human being he received the biggest contract for a defensive player of all time. But that service is not worth a top 5 pick?

Dareus was an impact player game after game in college, suspension, leg injury, etc.. When he was on the field the opposition watched at least one of their linemen, typically two or three, get dominated and driven back into the pocket.

He's worth a top 5 pick if you can put the horses next to him that take advantage of his push. We have at least one already with Doom.

Like I said, I'd be fine with Dareus, I like his skill set....but Fairley dominated on a week to week basis and did so as a 3 tech, which we are merely projecting that Dareus can play. I think Peterson, Miller, and Fairley are the guys who will be the eilte players from this draft....Dareus, in my opinion, will be very good but fall short of the other three.

Drek
04-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Like I said, I'd be fine with Dareus, I like his skill set....but Fairley dominated on a week to week basis and did so as a 3 tech, which we are merely projecting that Dareus can play. I think Peterson, Miller, and Fairley are the guys who will be the eilte players from this draft....Dareus, in my opinion, will be very good but fall short of the other three.

You act like Dareus didn't have a dominant impact on a week to week basis. He didn't stack up numbers but then neither did Haynesworth and his value on the open market has been proven.

I'm not talking about a 3-tech here. I'm talking about someone playing the 0 and 1 tech rolel. The skills to be an elite 0 or 1 tech in a 4-3 are similar to what a 5 tech DE or a 0-tech NT in a 3-4 is asked to do. Those skills combined with the ability to put pressure on the QB when needed made Haynesworth the best paid defensive player in the NFL despite **** bag character.

We could get that same skill set from Dareus for a top 5 pick, far less money than what Haynesworth cost on the open market, and we'd have a far better person who has shown far more desire to be an elite NFL player, not just to get paid.

A dominant 3-tech is a fantastic thing to have. But when we've already got an elite pass rusher in Doom and potentially a solid all around end in Ayers, combined with a MLB who is very good as long as you keep OLs off him but not good at all when you don't it becomes clear that the biggest need on the DL isn't another penetrating pass rusher but instead a guy who can physically dominate OLs and redraw the LOS.

Rohirrim
04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
I would like the Broncos to take Fairley, but I think they are going to trade down.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2011, 08:42 AM
You act like Dareus didn't have a dominant impact on a week to week basis. He didn't stack up numbers but then neither did Haynesworth and his value on the open market has been proven.

I'm not talking about a 3-tech here. I'm talking about someone playing the 0 and 1 tech rolel. The skills to be an elite 0 or 1 tech in a 4-3 are similar to what a 5 tech DE or a 0-tech NT in a 3-4 is asked to do. Those skills combined with the ability to put pressure on the QB when needed made Haynesworth the best paid defensive player in the NFL despite **** bag character.

We could get that same skill set from Dareus for a top 5 pick, far less money than what Haynesworth cost on the open market, and we'd have a far better person who has shown far more desire to be an elite NFL player, not just to get paid.

A dominant 3-tech is a fantastic thing to have. But when we've already got an elite pass rusher in Doom and potentially a solid all around end in Ayers, combined with a MLB who is very good as long as you keep OLs off him but not good at all when you don't it becomes clear that the biggest need on the DL isn't another penetrating pass rusher but instead a guy who can physically dominate OLs and redraw the LOS.

Well, he didn't have a dominant impact on a week to week basis for starters. But my main concern with picking Dareus at #2 is that I don't see him developing into an ELITE player. Very good? Yes. And if we were picking 8-10 spots lower, I'd be thrilled with him. But if we take Dareus at #2, I believe we will be looking back at what might have been when Peterson, Miller and Fairley are tearing up the rest of the league. I don't see him as that type of player. He wasn't in college, so it's hard to project him into that kind of player in the pros.

ColoradoBuff
04-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Draft Patrick Peterson. If not it will be Dareus!

55CrushEm
04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
IF, Denver ends up standing pat & drafting #2......I can pretty much guarantee y'all that it will not be DT.

I'd agree with you if Shanahan were still in charge.....

baja
04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
At #2 give me someone with Tebow like desire and mad physical skills and that looks like Peterson to me. When you draft this high you better make it count.

Play2win
04-22-2011, 09:33 AM
At #2 give me someone with Tebow like desire and mad physical skills and that looks like Peterson to me. When you draft this high you better make it count.

Peterson wants so bad to be a NFL wide receiver or be in the NBA somehow.

razorwire77
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Baring a trade down scenario where we get Peterson, I think it's going to be Dareus or Miller. My guess is Fox is drooling over the possibility of using Von as a disruptive presence at Sam LB in his defense. Miller, Doom, Ayers, D.J. and Champ (that's a lot of speed and athleticism on defense). There is DT value to be had at the top half of the 2nd round (Pea, Heyward etc.) My guess is we go Miller with 2nd pick, Pea with 2A and BPA RT, Safety, RB, TE another DT (pick a hole) with 2B.

tsiguy96
04-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Baring a trade down scenario where we get Peterson, I think it's going to be Dareus or Miller. My guess is Fox is drooling over the possibility of using Von as a disruptive presence at Sam LB in his defense. Miller, Doom, Ayers, D.J. and Champ (that's a lot of speed and athleticism on defense). There is DT value to be had at the top half of the 2nd round (Pea, Heyward etc.) My guess is we go Miller with 2nd pick, Pea with 2A and BPA RT, Safety, RB, TE another DT (pick a hole) with 2B.

my HOPE is we go miller with the #2, then move back into late 1st to grab a DT faller like heywood or someone who would in most drafts be a top 20 pick at DT.

enjolras
04-22-2011, 09:49 AM
my HOPE is we go miller with the #2, then move back into late 1st to grab a DT faller like heywood or someone who would in most drafts be a top 20 pick at DT.

It'd be really difficult to move back into the first given our complete lack of picks.

DrFate
04-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I keep hearing Miller doesn't fit a 4-3

Isn't that a concern?

tsiguy96
04-22-2011, 09:51 AM
It'd be really difficult to move back into the first given our complete lack of picks.

to move from the #2 pick in round #2 to the number 26-29 picks wouldnt be incredibly difficult. last year a 2, 3, 4 got us i believe the #25 pick, and we had a later 2.

TheReverend
04-22-2011, 09:59 AM

SO much wrong with this post...

1. Dareus wasn't "dominant" "week to week"

2. Haynesworth put up MASSIVE numbers in his 2 contract years leading to his record setting pay day.

3. Haynesworth played a 3 technique at Tennessee next to Vandenbosch

4. The skills of a 5 tech are much closer related to that of a 3

5. Fox doesn't use a traditional NT with any regularity in ANY of the footage I've gone back to watch. Playing instead the 1 gap LDT, RDT dual 3 techs and shading

6. A dominant 3 technique will be FAR more valuable for Denver anyway. That player will be next to Elvis and help lighten the load for him when protection is rolled to that side.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-22-2011, 10:09 AM
to move from the #2 pick in round #2 to the number 26-29 picks wouldnt be incredibly difficult. last year a 2, 3, 4 got us i believe the #25 pick, and we had a later 2.

They don't have the 2nd pick in the 2nd round

Edit: and they don't have the mid-round picks needed to facilitate the move.

NFLBRONCO
04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I would expect Denver to want more picks not less regardless.

DrFate
04-22-2011, 10:43 AM
They don't have the 2nd pick in the 2nd round

What happened to that pick? I can't remember...

Buffalo has pick #34, not Denver

Hercules Rockefeller
04-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Rotates

Denver has the weakest SOS out of the 3 4-12 teams. They pick 1st in the group in the 1st round, but go to the end of the line in the 2nd round. They'll pick 2nd out of the 4-12 teams in the 3rd, 1st (if they had one) in the 4th, etc.

SoDak Bronco
04-22-2011, 10:54 AM
My hope is the Panthers select AJ Green at #1, and we hold a bidding war for the ability to select Cam Newton. If Cam is available at #2, we will be able to get the bills,bengals,cards to move up. Then we will have dareus, miller or peterson falling into our laps, plus getting another pick/picks.

DrFate
04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Rotates

Denver has the weakest SOS out of the 3 4-12 teams. They pick 1st in the group in the 1st round, but go to the end of the line in the 2nd round. They'll pick 2nd out of the 4-12 teams in the 3rd, 1st (if they had one) in the 4th, etc.

I was not aware of that situation - I figured the SOS tiebreaker applied to all the rounds

Thanks Herc

TheReverend
04-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Rotates

To defend the point behind what I assume Tsi was trying to say behind the factual inaccuracies: 36 and 71 overall hold roughly the same "value" as 43, 70 and 114

<3 U Herc

Rabb
04-22-2011, 11:01 AM
I still think it's Peterson we take, Fox loves the kid

teknic
04-22-2011, 11:02 AM

I hate when people say we don't have a lot of picks. We have 6 picks in 7 rounds, and 3 of those are in the top 50. Wouldn't you rather have a second 2nd round pick than a 4th and 5th?

We lost the 4th in the trade for Laurence Maroney and gained a 6th in that trade to offset the lost 6th in the Brady Quinn deal. I believe we traded our 5th to be able to get Syd'Quan last year.

McDaniels made some dumb trades for sure (future #1 for Alphonso Smith..), but we're not in bad shape. We have an extra top 50 selection, which should allow us to grab some early impact players in the draft, or to move around the draft.

At this point, I think (and hope) that the Broncos will take Miller. This is a deep draft for DL and there are also some good DT free agents that we can pursue when the lockout is finally resolved.

Houshyamama
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
An argument for drafting Peterson or Miller:

After studying recent statistical draft trends and analyzing how different positions have returned different success rates in the NFL, it appears prospects such as linebacker Von Miller from Texas A&M or cornerback Patrick Peterson of LSU may return more consistent results in the long run.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6389648

Old Dude
04-22-2011, 11:14 AM
I don't think anyone in the top 8 is going to be very motivated to trade up to #2. The teams at the bottom, like Denver, all have multiple issues and there's bound to be at least one blue-chipper that will be available for all of them - - and at a position of need.

Once you get beyond that point, very few teams have sufficient trade ammunition to make it worthwhile - especially since all they can trade are draft picks.

Nor can they load up with picks by trading players for picks. They either have them going in or they don't.

I think we'll see fewer draft pick trades than usual this year.

bpc
04-22-2011, 02:36 PM
The one thing that blew me away was reading that Torry Holt was drafted before Champ Bailey. Champ Bailey's still playing, and at a very high level. Holt is retired.

Drafting a DB with the measurables of Peterson should be a very safe proposition which nets us a guy who could play 10-15 years. I'm a fan of building front to back but I won't be upset if Peterson is the pick.

That being said, I think we take Fairley.

tsiguy96
04-28-2011, 09:51 AM
bump, we find out in a few hours who got it.

Carmelo15
04-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Only 12% picked Miller. Ha